FORUM RULES - READ ME FIRST! [Updated: 2022-Jun-07]

News, Updates and Information about this site.
This section is important, please read it for changes about the site!
Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

FORUM RULES - READ ME FIRST! [Updated: 2022-Jun-07]

Post by Keiko1981 » Oct 29th, '20, 22:14

General Forum Rules
  • In our forums we cultivate a friendly and helpful communication and we expect that everybody follows known netiquette standards.
    It is not allowed to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “D-Addicts” is hosted (United States) or International Law.
  • Do not bash or otherwise bad mouth another individual or group’s work, otherwise you will be given warnings.
  • Users who are misbehaving will be given three (3) warnings, and after that be banned.
  • If you have any account-related questions, problems with registration or login, please use the Contact Us form found at the bottom of each page.
Posting Links in the Forum
  • Links to donation sites are okay
  • No streamed videos
  • No torrent links
  • No direct download links
  • No links to third-party sites with any of the above content
You may write addresses to these sites in plain text e.g.

(code) Insert URL here (code)

Replace ( and ) with [ ]

Subtitles Forum Rules

Do not post requests for subtitles or status of subtitles. For status updates, if possible see the fansubber's website or social media. In addition you can check the Fansub Maps for information about who has / will sub what drama. If you intend to translate some fansub into another language, it is best if you try asking the original subber for permission beforehand. In most cases, mentioning the original subber in your translations is more than adequate, unless the original subber have explicitly expressed for the subtitles not to be translated.

When Posting Subtitles
  • All subtitles are to be posted at the forum.
  • Name your subtitles the same as the video(s) they sync to.
  • No advertisement of paid subtitles in advance.
You must include in the first post of your topic:
  • Translation:
  • Original subtitles: (If re-translated or transcribed)
  • Transcriber:
  • Editor: (if transcribed, state what has been edited.)
  • QC:
Depending on your subtitles, not all categories will be necessary.

Permitted Subtitles
  • Translated by Fans - The subtitles must be your own work OR you have permission from the original subber to post them here
  • Re-translated from fansubs / official subs
  • Timed Japanese subtitles
  • Transcribed subtitles from no longer active fansub groups*
  • Subtitles transcribed from broadcasters - These should be posted with caution, as they may have been made available via a paid legal streaming site, and therefore may be removed by a moderator without prior warning.
  • You must start from the beginning unless the project has been dropped
Do Not Post
  • Subtitles from paid legal over-the-top media streaming sites
  • Subtitles from official DVDs
  • Machine translated subtitles
  • Edited machine translated subtitles
  • Movie subtitles

Upload non-permitted subtitles to sites like Subscene instead.

*Transcribed subtitles may be posted here if the original fansubber has been inactive for at least 2 years, provided that you:
  • Try to contact the original subber first.
  • Credit original subber
  • Only correcting grammar and typos and clearly state who it’s been done by
  • Note that they can request for it to be taken down if they wish
Subtitles Announcements

1. Post your announcement in this forum
2. Post your subtitles in the announcement topic and rename it accordingly
3. After you've posted subtitles for the first episode or special the topic will be moved to appropriate forum
4. Use the report button [!] to notify moderators

Dropped Subtitles
  • If you wish to step down from a project please mark it as dropped in the topic title
  • Topics will be marked as dropped if a subber has not updated in 3 months. The 3 month inactivity period starts with the last update post. (Signs of activity: posting new subtitles, posting edited version(s) of previous released subtitles, subtitles status updates etc.)
  • It is the subber's responsibility to update and keep the topic / project active
Re-posting of Subtitles

If a subber specifies rules in the first post of their subtitles that must be followed in relation to their subtitles (e.g. Do not post on other sites), those rules must be followed. If a user violates those rules, the user will be given a warning. A second violation will result in a ban.

When Reporting a User

It should be the fansubber themselves who contact any of the staff via PM to report another user and provide proof in the form of screenshots. Your report should be from no later than 1 year after your subtitles were originally shared at D-Addicts.

It is the fansubber's responsibility to police their subtitles and file a report if they so wish.

If you wish to discuss the rules further, please do so in this topic.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: FORUM RULES - READ ME FIRST! [Updated: 2021-Apr-19]

Post by Keiko1981 » Apr 19th, '21, 08:52

After discussing with other moderators we've decided to no longer allow machine translated subtitles. It would not be fair to those who do translate, and I'm afraid the overall quality of the subtitles here would drastically go down if we did.

As with all none-permitted subtitles they should be posted elsewhere, for example over at Subscene.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Apr 21st, '21, 15:14

Good idea.

thifuku
Brazil

Post by thifuku » Jul 9th, '21, 00:40

Hello, I have a question. In case I make timed Japanese subs from a series that hasn't been chosen, but I can't translate, could I post on d-addicts to look for someone interested in subbing?

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jul 9th, '21, 02:53

thifuku wrote: Jul 9th, '21, 00:40 Hello, I have a question. In case I make timed Japanese subs from a series that hasn't been chosen, but I can't translate, could I post on d-addicts to look for someone interested in subbing?
Yes, you can post timed Japanese subtitles in this sub-forum provided by Jpsubbers Please do not post subtitles ripped from any official streaming sites or DVDs. Let me know if you have any other questions.

edwardwong
Fansubber
Fansubber
Singapore

Post by edwardwong » Jul 19th, '21, 14:40

Keiko1981 wrote: Apr 19th, '21, 08:52 After discussing with other moderators we've decided to no longer allow machine translated subtitles. It would not be fair to those who do translate, and I'm afraid the overall quality of the subtitles here would drastically go down if we did.
I would agree if the subber ONLY uses the machine translated subs as-is without any cleaning up, then yes, the quality would be unacceptable.

However, I'm hoping you might make an exception if the translator does additional QC and translation work on top of the machine translated subs (which I do).

I'm pretty confident that even if I didn't declare I was using machine translated subs, no one would be the wiser, as I do put a lot of effort to make sure every line is accurate and "human" sounding.

I'd love to hear any other opinions! (especially if any of you have seen my work).

Edward

Gabrielmpf
Fansubber
Fansubber
Portugal

Post by Gabrielmpf » Jul 19th, '21, 15:41

My concern is that even if a subber does additional cleaning up, the big question is, do they actually know Japanese? That's the only thing that matters.
If they know Japanese, they can spot mistakes made by the online translator and correct when necessary, be it Google translator, DeepL or any other.

Now, if the subber in question doesn't know Japanese at all, that's a different story and in my opinion, unacceptable. They should refrain from subbing any Japanese dramas. I don't know Chinese, so I wouldn't go translate a Chinese drama to English, even if my English is good. I think it's highly insulting to the subbers who actually went to the trouble of learning the language.

I think people should exercise some common sense and not do things they're clearly not qualified to do.

Again, if a subber knows Japanese and can actually do some proper QC, by all means, go ahead.
If not, they should stay away from translating and dedicate their time doing other things. For example, transcribe dramas or timing old subs to new releases. No Japanese knowledge needed for that. I'm sure Avallac'h would appreciate the help.

edwardwong
Fansubber
Fansubber
Singapore

Post by edwardwong » Jul 20th, '21, 01:58

Totally agree. I would say that even Basic Japanese is not enough to do good translation work, not to mention how painstaking it would be to look up almost every other word in every sentence. I'm definitely at intermediate level with over 10 years of learning, as well as thousands of J-drama/Anime/Movies over the last couple of decades. I can't even watch subbed shows properly because I'm always listening out for errors, haha. Like many subbers out there, I got into fansubbing to further improve my level of Japanese (and of course the love of the media).

I just use the machine translator (and only DeepL, because it is the only decent one out there) to do a quick first pass translation, and then I listen to every line, read the original Japanese sub and then correct any errors. Even if there are no errors, I still fine-tune the sentence, swap out words to something more relevant to the dialogue or situation. To me, this is as good as 100% human translated. The machine translator is just one of the tools in the subber's arsenal (just like subtitle editing tools, dictionaries, google/wikipedia, screen OCR software, etc...)

Although after having subbed several shows and movies, I am getting the hang of it and should one day soon be able to do fully human translation. But the machine does take a lot of the grunt work at the beginning, so that I can focus on more quality enhancements (including grabbing on-screen text, giving explainer notes on technical terms, history, etc...).

I understand this can be a controversial issue and if the decision is final, then so be it, and I will respect the rules.

Gabrielmpf
Fansubber
Fansubber
Portugal

Post by Gabrielmpf » Jul 20th, '21, 09:30

edwardwong wrote: Jul 20th, '21, 01:58 Totally agree. I would say that even Basic Japanese is not enough to do good translation work, not to mention how painstaking it would be to look up almost every other word in every sentence. I'm definitely at intermediate level with over 10 years of learning, as well as thousands of J-drama/Anime/Movies over the last couple of decades. I can't even watch subbed shows properly because I'm always listening out for errors, haha. Like many subbers out there, I got into fansubbing to further improve my level of Japanese (and of course the love of the media).

I just use the machine translator (and only DeepL, because it is the only decent one out there) to do a quick first pass translation, and then I listen to every line, read the original Japanese sub and then correct any errors. Even if there are no errors, I still fine-tune the sentence, swap out words to something more relevant to the dialogue or situation. To me, this is as good as 100% human translated. The machine translator is just one of the tools in the subber's arsenal (just like subtitle editing tools, dictionaries, google/wikipedia, screen OCR software, etc...)

Although after having subbed several shows and movies, I am getting the hang of it and should one day soon be able to do fully human translation. But the machine does take a lot of the grunt work at the beginning, so that I can focus on more quality enhancements (including grabbing on-screen text, giving explainer notes on technical terms, history, etc...).

I understand this can be a controversial issue and if the decision is final, then so be it, and I will respect the rules.
I think you don't have to worry about that. Not knowing Japanese and do machine translation work "blindly" is the problem.
The "complete" subs for the Asadora Yell posted recently is one of those examples. That sould not be allowed and it's a good thing it was deleted. It would set a dangerous precedent where the general quality of the subs here would go down if we let it pass.

So please, keep doing what you do. I think anyone would agree that you don't fall into the category of "machine translators" :wink:

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: FORUM RULES - READ ME FIRST! [Updated: 2021-Aug-15]

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 15th, '21, 06:59

After some feedback and discussion among moderators it's been decided to add edited machine-translations to non-permitted subtitles.

If you don't know Japanese well enough to translate, you can still contribute by transcribing and timing subtitles, or teaming up with another fansubber.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: FORUM RULES - READ ME FIRST! [Updated: 2022-Jun-07]

Post by Keiko1981 » Jun 7th, '22, 04:50

Fansubbers can now (if they wish to) report another user if their subtitles have been reposted elsewhere without their permission. Please read the first post for more details.

AnimeFan79
Sweden

Post by AnimeFan79 » May 17th, '23, 10:22

@Keiko1981 Hi, I was wondering where I can put a request for eng subtitles for Japanese live-action shows. I could not find any forum for that. thank you so much for your attention and participation.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 17th, '23, 10:33

@AnimeFan79
Do not post requests for subtitles or status of subtitles. For status updates, if possible see the fansubber's website or social media. In addition you can check the Fansub Maps for information about who has / will sub what drama.

You can check individual fansubbers' social media to see if they accept requests. You can also try to post a request over at JPTV Club, or AvistaZ if you're a member at any of the sites. Only subtitles for dramas and TV specials are hosted here. No anime or movies.

AnimeFan79
Sweden

Post by AnimeFan79 » May 17th, '23, 19:15

@Keiko1981 thank you for the reply. I know that it is only for dramas and tv specials. That is what I meant with live-action shows :)

I will check their social media.

Have a nice day.