Hawaii D-Addicts

speak whatever language you like here.
Valcun

Hawaii D-Addicts

Post by Valcun » Dec 9th, '05, 12:54

Hi, I seen quite a few people through the forums from hawaii. Since we live in a popular tourist attraction we see many people around the world! Including Asian!

But hey, we could probably talk about Dramas and Stuff going on in the Islands!

To the Hawaii D-addict community, I would like to introduce my self. My name is Valcun, from Oahu and I would like to say Hi :)

groink

Post by groink » Dec 9th, '05, 21:20

Aloha! Valcum! Finally, a thread that fits me geographically.

I live in upper Pearl City, about five miles north of Pearl Harbor, and about eight miles from Honolulu. As for drama-related stuff, I usually hang out on the KIKU-TV board, although that place is really dead. I'm seriously thinking of putting up a Hawaii Asian drama message board, much like the California message board.

The cool thing about Hawaii is that we get to see several of the Asian personalities when they visit Hawaii. Famous personalities I've seen include Sakai Noriko ('98), Shun from EXILE ('05), Sorimachi Takashi ('04), several of the Hello! Project girls, Hikawa Kiyoshi ('03), Ban Daisuke (Yogen, Kikaida ('05)), and Fujita Makoto of Hagure Keiji Junjoha fame ('03). I've heard of various Korean drama personalities come to Hawaii, but I couldn't buy a carton of eggs fast enough.

--- groink

Valcun

Post by Valcun » Dec 14th, '05, 01:19

Haha Thats how I got into J-Drama was through KIKU-TV.

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Dec 14th, '05, 01:29

I'm on the Big Island. I've never had KIKU-TV... I've always thought of it as an 'Oahu-Only' kind of station. But it might be available now.. I haven't checked in the last 5 years... (I stopped watching TV and devoted myself to only shows I can download.)

It is nice to know that Hawaii is an Asian hot-spot... I've heard KimuTaka comes over on a frequent basis, tho I have yet to have seen him... 8)

onoturtle
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by onoturtle » Dec 14th, '05, 01:45

i live on Oahu too. i'm currently near Keeaumoku (aka Korea-moku haha), but i call the north shore home. i have yet to meet an asian celeb :(

i don't know about everywhere else, but the blockbuster nearest me has started to sell Kdrama DVD sets. apparently they're getting popular. but where are the sets of dramas from other countries?

groink

Post by groink » Dec 14th, '05, 01:53

meiohsetsuna wrote:I'm on the Big Island. I've never had KIKU-TV... I've always thought of it as an 'Oahu-Only' kind of station. But it might be available now.. I haven't checked in the last 5 years... (I stopped watching TV and devoted myself to only shows I can download.)
Masked Man on JDorama.com lives in Hilo, and catches KIKU-TV via digital cable 89. I don't think there are any other ways of getting the transmission live.
meiohsetsuna wrote:It is nice to know that Hawaii is an Asian hot-spot... I've heard KimuTaka comes over on a frequent basis, tho I have yet to have seen him... 8)
Yeah, he does sneak into town at times. It's good to know people who work in the travel industry, such as JTB, the hotels, etc. That's where I get my scoops. When Nori-P was filming at the Moana Surfrider, a friend of mine who worked there called me up while I was in the middle of a meeting. I escaped the meeting, raced home to get one of her photo books, and then raced back into Waikiki to catch up with her.

Also a few years back, a friend of a friend was cruising on the island of Kaua'i (Princeville I think.) He ran into a filming session consisting of Japanese people. When he came back to Oahu, we met up with him and asked about the filming. He didn't have much to say but this "Fukuyama-something" guy was there with a bunch of girls hounding him. And I immediately screamed "CHINI-CHAN WAS THERE!?!?!###!?!?!?!??!" And everyone around me was totally confused. :lol Anyone who watched Hitotsu Yane no Shita would know what I meant... Anyway, he said, "ppppphhht! He looked average to me!"

--- groink

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Dec 14th, '05, 02:14

I go to the college in Hilo but I'm actually a Kona grrl. :)

I've worked at the KOA airport and the only celebrity I ever got to see was a Japanese Tennis Player, whose name I didn't even know. :(

groink

Post by groink » Dec 26th, '05, 08:22

GEINOUJIN ALERT! GEINOUJIN ALERT!

Oshio Manabu and Yada Akiko are right now in Hawaii to get married (or probably already married by the time I post this)... Keep an eye out for them!!!!!

--- groink

n_lotus

Post by n_lotus » Dec 27th, '05, 12:33

Hi all ... I live in the middle east .. exactly in Egypt :-) ... I know that I am posting in Hawaiians thread ... so do not worry I am not lost :D .. I just wonder about something please and hope you can answer it :) ...

I know that most of drama that are uploaded here , had been ripped from some channels (like KBFD I think and others :unsure: ... )
so can I adjust the Satellite to receive signals from these channels and be able to watch these drama when it's aired ? ..or what?

groink

Post by groink » Dec 27th, '05, 22:02

n_lotus wrote:I know that most of drama that are uploaded here , had been ripped from some channels (like KBFD I think and others :unsure: ... )
so can I adjust the Satellite to receive signals from these channels and be able to watch these drama when it's aired ? ..or what?
I believe KBFD-TV is part of a larger TV network in the mainland US. So it may be possible for you to tap into that network. Someone with better knowledge of that stuff could give you more details. You can also check out their web site for more information (Jeff Chung never keeps information to himself. :roll )

--- groink

AjiKan

Post by AjiKan » Dec 27th, '05, 22:13

Hey! I'm AjiKan, and I'm glad there's a Hawaii Thread here! I'm living in Honolulu right now near Manoa, and I've lived here all my life.

Has anyone been watching the show "Yume de Aimashou" on Kiku? Is it any good? I haven't heard many good reviews about it.

Also, do any of you guys watch "Challengers of Fire" [Honoo no Charenja] It's REALLY funny/good. The only bad thing, is that its kinda old, like 10 years kind :lol It's on at 8 on Fridays, and currently 9 on Saturdays until Noah comes back.

And, Yada Akiko and Oshio Manabu are getting married?? That's awesome, especially that it's here :P Too bad i didnt go out ALL WEEKEND, so i didnt have the chance to see them.

groink

Post by groink » Dec 27th, '05, 22:26

AjiKan wrote:Hey! I'm AjiKan, and I'm glad there's a Hawaii Thread here! I'm living in Honolulu right now near Manoa, and I've lived here all my life.

Has anyone been watching the show "Yume de Aimashou" on Kiku? Is it any good? I haven't heard many good reviews about it.

Also, do any of you guys watch "Challengers of Fire" [Honoo no Charenja] It's REALLY funny/good. The only bad thing, is that its kinda old, like 10 years kind :lol It's on at 8 on Fridays, and currently 9 on Saturdays until Noah comes back.

And, Yada Akiko and Oshio Manabu are getting married?? That's awesome, especially that it's here :P Too bad i didnt go out ALL WEEKEND, so i didnt have the chance to see them.
Well, the Yada/Oshio business turned out to be a rumor. They did actually touchdown on Hawaii, but there was no wedding.

Challengers of Fire... There are about a dozen or so episodes on D-Addicts.

Yume de Aimashou... It's on my list of things to upload on D-Addicts. I'm just trying to brainstorm a way to make them gingertoys2-proof. It's actually a very good series... Really slow in the beginning for my taste, but overall the storyline is a nice one.

--- groink

SHD
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHD » Dec 27th, '05, 22:51

n_lotus wrote:Hi all ... I live in the middle east .. exactly in Egypt :-) ... I know that I am posting in Hawaiians thread ... so do not worry I am not lost :D .. I just wonder about something please and hope you can answer it :) ...

I know that most of drama that are uploaded here , had been ripped from some channels (like KBFD I think and others :unsure: ... )
i don't think so--best bet would be if you could catch (as groink mentions) TAN (The Asian Network) of which KBFD is part of or KBS World. to tell the truth we have enough of a hard time receiving KBFD broadcast right here in Hawai'i.

typical local sytle--was going to get around to posting in this thread--but always ah later...

inutikidude
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by inutikidude » Dec 27th, '05, 23:22

Yay finally a Hawaii thread. Im not hawaiian tho, im chinese =P. But, i've lived here all my life ^^; I live on the island of Oahu in Honolulu

n_lotus

Post by n_lotus » Dec 28th, '05, 13:13

Thanks a lot groink , SHD :salut: :-)

I will try to go surfing TAN web sites and see if they have a valuable information that can help. :scratch:

haiku

aloha

Post by haiku » Dec 31st, '05, 05:47

Hei guys I am In hawaii too nice to meet you guys

in-sung

Me too......

Post by in-sung » Feb 16th, '06, 00:19

I live on Oahu and go to graduate school at UH Manoa...
Nice to meet ya...

cheers!^^

groink

Re: Me too......

Post by groink » Feb 16th, '06, 07:15

in-sung wrote:I live on Oahu and go to graduate school at UH Manoa...
Nice to meet ya...

cheers!^^
Howzit, bruddah!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 28th, '06, 02:23

wow! howzit everyone! i'm pretty late to the game, i see, but i still wanted to send a big aloha to all the kamaainas out there! wassup! it's about time a 'hawaii' thread got started.

Pikawoo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Pikawoo » Jun 6th, '06, 23:47

jholic:
your location say

I live in Atlanta, GA. and unless you live in England I don't see how you could be any farther than me.

I love hawaii but I don't ever see myself owning house there. In Georgia I got a house on a 1acre piece of land with 5bedrooms 3baths 2400sft for $150k.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 7th, '06, 04:15

Pikawoo, i read somewhere that you're originally from hawaii? is that correct?

i'm in VA right now (close to DC), so i'd say we're about neck-2-neck right now.

you ain't kidding about the housing, yeah? i also do not believe i will ever be able to own a house in hawaii. missed my chance back in the day (when they were only slightly ridiculous). now, forget it. i have to hope for a miracle.

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Jun 7th, '06, 04:30

hey everybody! i am from hilo but i live in japan for the time being. its been a while since i have posted a comment on the boards so i thought i would just say hi to all the people in hawaii v^_^v

Pikawoo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Pikawoo » Jun 7th, '06, 05:00

jholic wrote:Pikawoo, i read somewhere that you're originally from hawaii? is that correct?

i'm in VA right now (close to DC), so i'd say we're about neck-2-neck right now.

you ain't kidding about the housing, yeah? i also do not believe i will ever be able to own a house in hawaii. missed my chance back in the day (when they were only slightly ridiculous). now, forget it. i have to hope for a miracle.
Jholic: I just checked a map and you are further away than I am. So you win

I'm orginally from Kaneohe. And I went to St. Louis High.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 8th, '06, 03:45

ckh019: howzit! what you doing in japan? teaching? cruising?

Pikawoo: oh, so you played football, then? nah! i starting for stereotype! i lived near aloha stadium and worked near pearl harbor. how you like it in atlanta? how long you was there for?

Pikawoo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Pikawoo » Jun 8th, '06, 04:21

jholic wrote:ckh019: howzit! what you doing in japan? teaching? cruising?

Pikawoo: oh, so you played football, then? nah! i starting for stereotype! i lived near aloha stadium and worked near pearl harbor. how you like it in atlanta? how long you was there for?
It is nice but not much asian stuff. I'm still here in atlanta. I would like to retire in Hawaii someday but I don't know if I can afford it.

ckh019
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ckh019 » Jun 8th, '06, 04:30

i am going to school...foreign exchange. i am gonna be back in hawaii in a few months. i was teaching some english but i quit so i could chill out more. haha

Yukster

Post by Yukster » Jun 8th, '06, 08:18

Hi Everyone!

I am currently living in Moiliili, and work at UH right now.

As for J-celeb sightings, I once saw KimuTaku in Waikiki when I was working at Kintetsu several years ago.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 9th, '06, 03:03

Pikawoo wrote:It is nice but not much asian stuff. I'm still here in atlanta. I would like to retire in Hawaii someday but I don't know if I can afford it.
yeah, me too. kinda hard when the prices keep going up. hard for catch up. maybe when we ready, they'll have some affordable housing or something. ha!

ckh019: might as well enjoy while you young, yeah? quit your job so you could fuss around?? kinda kolohe, ah? :whistling:

Yukster: howzit! moiliili's pretty nice. and if you work at uh, that's a pretty convenient commute. you should've taken a picture of you and kimutaku. all the girls would've love to have seen that pic.

groink

Post by groink » Jun 9th, '06, 05:00

Great last couple of weeks for me regarding celebrity finds in Hawaii....

I met up with Sakai Noriko for the second time in late May at Sea Life Park. She was with her son and husband. Got to shake her hand once more! As the three of them walked away, one of my lady friends said from the back view it looked like two small high school kids carrying around a little kid. Very cute family!

And last week Friday I met up with Ito Yuna at her parents' restaurant. This was less than a week after her appearance on Music Station. My friend, saburo, pulled one exclusive out of her... He made a comment to her about her English-spoken one-line in the movie NANA. She said it was originally supposed to be spoken in Japanese, but then the writers figured it sounded cooler if she spoke it in English (in the manga, Reira speaks English.)

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 10th, '06, 04:16

groink wrote:I met up with Sakai Noriko for the second time in late May at Sea Life Park.
lucky buggah! so what, you told her about the webpage you was going to make for her?
:lol

georgeyklee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by georgeyklee » Jun 10th, '06, 04:30

im George born and raise on the island Oahu. Honolulu. currently, in california for job. =(

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 11th, '06, 04:10

glad to see you around again, george. when's your next subbing project? what part of cali are you in?

groink

Post by groink » Jun 11th, '06, 05:07

jholic wrote:
groink wrote:I met up with Sakai Noriko for the second time in late May at Sea Life Park.
lucky buggah! so what, you told her about the webpage you was going to make for her?
:lol
I basically "told her" (she really didn't say much back - her English is BAAAAAAAAAAAD):
- She still looks GREAT!
- I enjoyed her performance on FIGHT.
- Told her I specially love her "Hakkushon Baby" song she sang for NHK a few years ago.
- Begged once more for her to hold a concert in Hawaii.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 11th, '06, 15:55

groink wrote:I basically "told her" (she really didn't say much back - her English is BAAAAAAAAAAAD):
but still probably better than my japanese! :lol
groink wrote:- She still looks GREAT!
and probably better in real life, ne?
groink wrote:- Begged once more for her to hold a concert in Hawaii.
hopefully, i'll be there to watch it. i guess she could always sing at the waikiki shell or maybe as a guest performance at one of the culture events.

Drama-craze

Hawaii Monarch Festival - Hula competition

Post by Drama-craze » Jun 20th, '06, 23:29

Hi there!

Are there any members here from Hawaii? I know they have a yearly Hula competition on TV which I would love to watch. I would appreciate if there's anyone from Hawaii and able to upload the upcomng one. You can upload to megaupload or You send it and attached a link in this thread.

Thanks

Drama-craze

groink

Post by groink » Jun 21st, '06, 01:14

That would be the King Kamehameha Hula Competition. The Merry Monarch festival already happened back in April.

The KKHC is held June 23-24 in Honolulu. But looking through the TV listings, I don't see any of the TV stations airing it.

--- groink

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Jun 21st, '06, 05:15

groink wrote:That would be the King Kamehameha Hula Competition. The Merry Monarch festival already happened back in April.

The KKHC is held June 23-24 in Honolulu. But looking through the TV listings, I don't see any of the TV stations airing it.

--- groink
bummer, that's too bad that it's not gonna air on T.V :-(

Drama-craze

Post by Drama-craze » Jun 26th, '06, 21:22

Hi Groink,

Thanks for replying. I've forgotten where I posted my message. Shucks! I would love to get hold of these hula competitions. It's awesome. Yah...I rememeber the Merry Monarch which I saw in April when I attended my father-in-law's death anniversary last year on the Big Island.

groink wrote:That would be the King Kamehameha Hula Competition. The Merry Monarch festival already happened back in April.

--- groink

Drama-craze

Post by Drama-craze » Jun 26th, '06, 21:35

Wow....you guys meeting celebs in Hawaii.

Me too. Was visiting folks on the big island and we always spend few days in Kona and also stayed at the Hyatt Waikoloa, now I think they change the name to Hilton or something else. Anyway, during one trip we were staying at the the Prince or something and we saw Konishiki (The Big Sumo). He's really big and was walking on the beach. Later he came back to the poolside. My daughter, niece and nephew were in the pool that time. Gosh! when he splashed into the pool.....man..half the water in the pool went splashhhhhh. There were some young Japanese girl tourist and they were coooing and screaming for him. My daughter was shy so my sis-in-law went to ask him whether they could take picture with him. He was friendly and asked them to do the Shaka sign when taking the picture.

groink wrote:Great last couple of weeks for me regarding celebrity finds in Hawaii....

I met up with Sakai Noriko for the second time in late May at Sea Life Park. She was with her son and husband. Got to shake her hand once more! As the three of them walked away, one of my lady friends said from the back view it looked like two small high school kids carrying around a little kid. Very cute family!

And last week Friday I met up with Ito Yuna at her parents' restaurant. This was less than a week after her appearance on Music Station. My friend, saburo, pulled one exclusive out of her... He made a comment to her about her English-spoken one-line in the movie NANA. She said it was originally supposed to be spoken in Japanese, but then the writers figured it sounded cooler if she spoke it in English (in the manga, Reira speaks English.)

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 27th, '06, 04:11

i heard konishiki's pretty cool li'dat. i was surprised to hear there was any water left in the pool at ALL after he went in. i guess his music career never took off. i kinda sorta remember something about him coming out with a rap album or something, right?

Drama-craze

Post by Drama-craze » Jun 27th, '06, 22:44

Yes, I heard he was making some children's CD or something but I have not heard it. Did you know he starred in one of the J-drama "Remote". I just finished this series. In this "Remote" his dialogue was limited.

groink

Post by groink » Jun 27th, '06, 23:40

KONISHIKI is more of a hired talento nowadays. I've seen him appear on several variety shows, including Music of Dreams (NHK) and Ii Tabi Yume Kibun (TV Tokyo). On Ii Tabi, he hung around with Musashimaru and hit the hot springs stops. Funny thing is that when one spoke to the other, you didn't hear any "ey, bruddah!" "li'dat" or the like. They instead spoke Japanese to each other, probably because it is of course a Japanese show. But they did have one scene where KONISHIKI jumped into the pool.

KONISHIKI is a great Hawaiian music singer. On Music of Dreams, he sang Kaimana Hila, one of my favorite Hawaiian tunes with Natsukawa Rimi (YES, Rimi-chan did sound off Hawaiian lyrics - she sounds MUCH better than Robi Kahakalau.)

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 28th, '06, 03:50

Drama-craze wrote:Did you know he starred in one of the J-drama "Remote".
its almost foreboding when your first drama is called "remote".

all i know is that sumo wrestlers got it made when they stay in japan. didn't konishiki make a million bucks for starring in one commercial?? and i hear there's lots of ladies willing to date them also.
groink wrote:she sounds MUCH better than Robi Kahakalau
ha! better not let the hawaiians or other fans of sistah robi hear that! :lol

Drama-craze

Post by Drama-craze » Jul 4th, '06, 01:51

Hey, I thought he is married. Heard that his Japanese wife is gorgeous! Very pretty and SLIMMMMMMMMMM!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 24th, '06, 00:05

welcome back, puccakiss79!!

glad to see you back on the forum!

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Jul 24th, '06, 10:28

Konishiki, eh? Yah saw hiim in the first ep of Sapuri now that you mention it.

I miss Hawaii~! (But I love Japan.. oh being torn between the choices...)

Going back in late Aug, and I'm not looking forward to all that Kona Coffee I'm gonna have to be buying, especially since I hate coffee... *lol*

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 26th, '06, 02:43

meioh: nice to see you. how's japan working out for ya? raining a lot, i hear?

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Jul 26th, '06, 03:02

I'm also in Hawaii, currently living in Salt Lake but I grew up in Pearl City. Hawaii misses you jholic. My dream is to buy a home in Kailua.

Did anyone go Kim Bum Soo's Concert last year (eeer, was it last year) that was nice. If you korean drama fans want to meet some korean drama stars you should try to get w/ the Hawaii k-drama fan club, they've had much luck bringing celebrities down, they helped to bring KBS. Most recently, Song Il g**k came down and then before that was the Korean Celebrity Basketball game, I forget what it's called...Shooting Stars? I missed it =( and Chae Yeon performed. Dang graduation parites! hehe. Anyways, nice to see Hawaii represent!

pucca

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Jul 26th, '06, 08:28

jholic: The rain let up a bit. :) I'm doing good personally, but suffering in many ways. I am being taken advantage of by the company I work for (and some of the schools too), and I developed a nasty infection on my toe. >.< I lost weight though adjusting to the Japanese diet! Yay for me~!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 27th, '06, 03:21

hey pucca: eh, good to have you back! i pretty much grew up in salt lake and was there before i came here. i love that area cuz it's close to pearlridge and also close to ala moana / downtown.

if there's one thing i know, it's food! :lol you ate at family bbq at the airport shopping center yet? sooo good. i used to eat there all the time. also, there are three hidden lunch wagons in one of the back streets off of nimitz. it's right next to the aloha/hawaiian air cargo. the wagon in the middle is the best - joe's, i think it was called. used to love aiea bbq also, but i heard they closed.

meioh! glad to hear you doing good. at least the weather's better. what part of japan you stay? when i go to japan, i always lose weight. and i eat a lot over there too. i'd be eating like two sets, and i still manage to lose weight. must be all that walking you gotta do everywhere!! at least you can understand/read more jp than me! hope your toe heals!

groink

Post by groink » Jul 27th, '06, 08:09

Man, I'd kill for a plate lunch truck to visit Makalapa. The only thing we have in there is Subways. I'm SICK of Subways!!!!!! Alternatives include a 10-minute drive to Pearl Harbor's fast food joints, or a 10-minute drive to the PX. So lately I've been getting up extra early and make myself a bento.

If you drive around Salt Lake and see a bunch of weirdos dressed up in tokusatsu costumes fighting each other, that's me and the boys. One of our friends live about two blocks from Salt Lake Shopping Center... The bottom floor of his home is designated as "The Bat Cave", and is basically a clubhouse filled with Batman, Spiderman and tokusatsu crap. The reason for the dress-up is that one of the other guy's dream is to write and film the ultimate Sentai Go Ranger episode.

--- groink

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Jul 27th, '06, 08:24

Hey everyone!

Originally from Maui, but now I'm on Oahu for school. Anyone know of any good karaoke places around here?

Tenguman

Post by Tenguman » Jul 27th, '06, 08:32

There's GS Studio in Waikiki on Lewers Street. It's pretty similar to the karaoke boxes in Japan. It can get pricey but there are great early bird specials there.

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Jul 27th, '06, 08:43

Tenguman wrote:There's GS Studio in Waikiki on Lewers Street. It's pretty similar to the karaoke boxes in Japan. It can get pricey but there are great early bird specials there.
As a matter of fact, that is the only one I've actually been to. I agree it's pretty similar to the ones in Japan. Very cool. The only thing is, like you said, it can get a little pricey, and parking in Waikiki is kind of a pain. But thanks :-) Didn't know about the early bird specials, so I'll look into it.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 27th, '06, 18:27

sarcasstik wrote:As a matter of fact, that is the only one I've actually been to. I agree it's pretty similar to the ones in Japan. Very cool. The only thing is, like you said, it can get a little pricey, and parking in Waikiki is kind of a pain. But thanks :-) Didn't know about the early bird specials, so I'll look into it.
You can park across the street in the Duty Free Shoppers building. GS Studio will validate your parking stub. Just drive down Lewers, and the driveway will be on the right. Go after 8:00pm. Also find a birthday person and you can get 50-percent off the room rate.

As for GS Studio itself, that is my hangout! I sing Japanese enka almost exclusively, with some EXILE throw in between. There's also another karaoke place called Toma Enterprises on Beretania St. you might want to check out.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 28th, '06, 04:10

last i was there, i used to love hmc karaoke in pearl city. there was krazy karaoke at the pearl kai shopping center too.

kaimuki side, there was karaoke hut, but parking's pretty awful there too. everyone used to love karaoke rm2 just off of beretania, but they never changed their songs! may be better now.

oahu get planny. but maui?? my friend moved to maui and we went to visit him. we were looking for a karaoke place for the longest. heck, we was looking for anywhere that stayed open past NINE! (besides hapa's.)

groink

Post by groink » Jul 28th, '06, 04:20

jholic wrote:last i was there, i used to love hmc karaoke in pearl city. there was krazy karaoke at the pearl kai shopping center too.
HMC is a great place for karaoke. I threw a birthday party for my g/f there. They also have Japanese karaoke, but they're ALL old stuff. Krazy Karaoke at Pearl Kai is where I qualified for Hawaii Stars. They've since then converted everything (laser discs, DVDs, etc.) to VCD videos, and store them on PCs. And they're awful!
jholic wrote:but maui?? my friend moved to maui and we went to visit him. we were looking for a karaoke place for the longest. heck, we was looking for anywhere that stayed open past NINE! (besides hapa's.)
I have the same problem when I visit Maui. The night life, there's absolutely NOTHING in Lahaina. Maybe one redneck hangout in the Lahaina shopping area near the theaters, but that's about it. And in Kihei, there's only Hapa's. But Maui has a sheeet load of Internet cafe's and all-night gaming dork hangouts. One thing you have to remember is that Maui in itself is basically a haole island, in comparison to the other islands. So many local and Asian activities you find on Oahu more likely won't be found on Maui.

--- groink

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Jul 28th, '06, 04:49

Hey minna! Stumbled over this forum accidently, but if I remember correctly either jholic or setsuna told me about this thread a while back too.....I'm a bit slow.... :P

Oh, this is a bit late too, but did anybody hear about KimuTaku and his family staying in Kona back in April? :blink We SO wanted to drive over there just to get a glimpse. But you know how it goes with finals approaching. I remember a few years ago too he was spotted doing a shoot in downtown Hilo. But of course by the time my friends and I drove down there he was gone. Never found out what the shoot was about either.

I've also met the singer UA and her family a couple years back. I tutored them in conversational English (of all things) for a month and a half. As part of the lesson, they needed to go grocery shopping so we went to Sack-n-Save/Foodland. It was very uncomfortable because they refused to take off their shades. And the cashiers were giving us stink eye and all. We didn't get mobbed there, but I found out they did later at Borders the very next day.

Anyways, I just wanted to say "what's up" to y'all locals~!......and so wish I was in the motherland with Setsuna and Himeko. :cry:

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Jul 28th, '06, 17:23

groink wrote: You can park across the street in the Duty Free Shoppers building. GS Studio will validate your parking stub. Just drive down Lewers, and the driveway will be on the right. Go after 8:00pm. Also find a birthday person and you can get 50-percent off the room rate.
Thanks for the tip. Didn't know about the validation.
jholic wrote: oahu get planny. but maui?? my friend moved to maui and we went to visit him. we were looking for a karaoke place for the longest. heck, we was looking for anywhere that stayed open past NINE! (besides hapa's.)
Haha, the truth hurts. I guess if you're into the clubbing scene and whatnot, Maui's not the place. I must say though, I have yet to find a good Japanese karaoke place. There are a few Korean ones I've been to, but they're kinda ghetto.

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Jul 29th, '06, 01:21

jholic wrote: you ate at family bbq at the airport shopping center yet? sooo good. i used to eat there all the time. also, there are three hidden lunch wagons in one of the back streets off of nimitz.
I haven't been to any of these places :-( And I used to work at the airport for 2 years :roll I'll give it a try if I come across it. This is the shopping center near Byron's? With L&L and Starbux? I usually eat at Soon's or Jin Mi @ 99 Ranch, they've got great foods. But I tell you, if you want some good kim chee soup and you are near Sand Island, check out Best Drive Inn (broke da mout)!
groink wrote: If you drive around Salt Lake and see a bunch of weirdos dressed up in tokusatsu costumes fighting each other, that's me and the boys. One of our friends live about two blocks from Salt Lake Shopping Center... The bottom floor of his home is designated as "The Bat Cave", and is basically a clubhouse filled with Batman, Spiderman and tokusatsu crap. The reason for the dress-up is that one of the other guy's dream is to write and film the ultimate Sentai Go Ranger episode.
Well, living in Salt Lake I thought nothing would surprise me! I've seen car accidents, car thefts, domestics, and arrests. But I'm sure if I saw you and your boys dressed up, I'd have to do a double take for sure! :goggle:

HMC! I like that place too.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 30th, '06, 03:15

eh, groink. i guess i got to krazy kinda late. i never saw them before their computerized version of karaoke. it's alright, but the laser stuff is usually better. at least they have a decent selection of songs.

sarcasstik: nah, it's alright. i'm not much of a clubber. i'll go if friends are going. but the night life is pretty harsh in maui. even moondoggies when close down. liquor violation or something. i guess all the people still going to the canefields for drink. nah! nah! just joking! :alcoholic:

blue eyed "the bilingual minded" one! nice to see you in this section. glad to hear from you. i would hit the nya (and other forums i've been invited to) more often, but kinda short on time nowadays. so glad to have locals in this forum. wow, you tutor jp singers?? sorry, ah! i don't think i've heard of UA. guess i so old now. :lol tell himeko for come join us too!
puccakiss79 wrote:I haven't been to any of these places :-(
whaaaattt???!??! how you can miss family bbq. well, depends. if you worked kinda long ago, then maybe they wasn't around yet. get one young guy with one pony-tail working over there, and one nice looking korean girl too. she's real friendly. is byron's over there?? it's in the same building as computer training academy. with starbucks, l&l, jamba, ninja sushi, etc. family bbq is in the corner. used to go there from when i was working pearl harbor.

i used to love soon's, but since i used to eat their terrific bento at $4 and when it was big, now, when i order it, it's like $7.50 and seems like it shrank. they even charge extra for their good sauce. gee....

i think i heard of best drive inn. but sand island is kinda far away. you ever ate at ige's? they used to have a plate lunch place in aloha stadium, but they closed and now they have a restaurant across from buzz's in pearl city. if aunty florence and alice still work there, they'll treat you good. :D

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Jul 30th, '06, 03:47

jholic wrote:nah, it's alright. i'm not much of a clubber. i'll go if friends are going. but the night life is pretty harsh in maui. even moondoggies when close down. liquor violation or something. i guess all the people still going to the canefields for drink. nah! nah! just joking! :alcoholic:
Brah, not even cane fields. It's pineapple fields for your information! Haha, nah nah. I've heard that there are quite a few bars on S. Kihei road if you're staying in Kihei or Wailea. There are some on Front Street in Lahaina. And, there's one semi-club/bar called Cassanova upcountry. I never actually go cause I live in the central area, but we do have bars that open past 10 (allegedly). As far as restaurants and stores though...can't help you there.

Unrelated, but since everyone is talking about food...anyone know of any good sushi places in Honolulu?

Kanpai

Post by Kanpai » Jul 31st, '06, 03:44

Hi, since everyone's talking about food...
where can you buy takoyaki on Oahu? Kuru Kuru Sushi at Pearl Kai Shopping Center used to sell it, but they stopped. Mahalo!

groink

Post by groink » Jul 31st, '06, 04:16

Kanpai wrote:Hi, since everyone's talking about food...
where can you buy takoyaki on Oahu? Kuru Kuru Sushi at Pearl Kai Shopping Center used to sell it, but they stopped. Mahalo!
The only time I've ever bought takoyaki was at the annual festivals at Shirokiya. This stuff is actually considered fast food in areas like Osaka, so you may not find it at any fine dining scale Japanese restaurants.

--- groink

Drama-craze

Post by Drama-craze » Jul 31st, '06, 04:47

Kanpai wrote:Hi, since everyone's talking about food...
I believe there's a Marukai in Oahu. Try the frozen food section. They have that in frozen form. Just heat it up in microwave. Bought that before in Marukai Torrance. I know in Marukai Torrance they have also a food section where they have Sushi Boy and other food stores. They have a noodle place that cooks the Takoyaki on the spot. Those are good. Not sure whether the Oahu Marukai has that too.

Cheers!

SHD
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHD » Jul 31st, '06, 05:21

sarcasstik wrote: Unrelated, but since everyone is talking about food...anyone know of any good sushi places in Honolulu?
ho! wen dis tread wen get so active, lil dat?? anyway, I like Yohei in Palama area and Maguro in Kaimuki (the chefs are brothers). pretty reasonable but of course you can get carried away.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 1st, '06, 04:28

sarc: get so many good sushi places on oahu, how you can miss um?? nah! i would figure all the chain stores like genki and others are pretty decent. for the others, you probably going kick out some bucks. i love sushi too much, so i can never get full off of those conveyor belt ones. i just go to todai one time - that keeps me good for a few weeks, ha!

kanpai: i think the good kind is 2nd floor of shirokiya when they have the special shows. there's so many people standing in line for um (including me and my friends, ha!) i think daiei sells those frozen kind that d-craze mentioned.

sup, SHD. i dunno when the thread went crazy. think was when pucca and the nya girls came by. you know how guys get, ah? :lol

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Aug 1st, '06, 04:31

jholic wrote:sup, SHD. i dunno when the thread went crazy. think was when pucca and the nya girls came by. you know how guys get, ah? :lol
E, wat u wen mean by dat? :P

groink

Post by groink » Aug 1st, '06, 04:42

SHD wrote:ho! wen dis tread wen get so active, lil dat?? anyway, I like Yohei in Palama area and Maguro in Kaimuki (the chefs are brothers). pretty reasonable but of course you can get carried away.
You like Yohei, too! So do I! So far they have the best unagi sushi I've eaten in Hawaii. I like my unagi crispy on the skin side. A lot of other places don't do this. But my friend Kayoko (from Nagasaki) didn't like it that much. She says the food overall is pretty bland. Also, the sake selection isn't as extensive as some other places.

My other favorite Japanese restaurants on Oahu:

Momomo - Best sake selection, bar none!!!! They also make a really good chiraishi. I've run into several famous people there, including Jake Shimabukuro and a reporter from Fujisankei (can't remember her name.)

Aki-no-No - Very inexpensive complete meals. Great atmosphere and very friendly hostess and waitresses. My favorite items there are the grilled salmon, zaru soba, and tempura. They also have very fresh seafood - my favorite being hirame and chutoro.

--- groink

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Aug 1st, '06, 04:43

Ho bra! Why you gotta go an' blame us cuz! tehehehe :mrgreen:

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Aug 1st, '06, 05:37

jholic wrote:
blue eyed "the bilingual minded" one! nice to see you in this section. glad to hear from you.
Tanks eh?
jholic wrote:
i would hit the nya (and other forums i've been invited to) more often, but kinda short on time nowadays.
Nah, neva mind cuz. I da kine same way. We stay running small kine 4 projects all at once and only get me fo trans so i stay going craz-eh! :goggle:
jholic wrote:
wow, you tutor jp singers?? sorry, ah! i don't think i've heard of UA. guess i so old now.
Nah, i neva know her too until she gave me her CD and I wen ask my family and friends back in the motherland. They all knew her which made me sad. She was cool tho. She's not that well known, but I did see a CM of her once. I also tutored some scientist from Subaru Telescope too. Dat was kinda cool. Was only for about a month. Dis is what happens wen your sensei knows you biling. At least I got paid tho.
jholic wrote:
i guess all the people still going to the canefields for drink. nah! nah! just joking!
I don't know about other islands, but still get people drinking in the cane fields here. Das if get any. If not dey go to da cemetary....crazy younging :alcoholic:

sarcasstik
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sarcasstik » Aug 2nd, '06, 07:42

SHD wrote: ho! wen dis tread wen get so active, lil dat?? anyway, I like Yohei in Palama area and Maguro in Kaimuki (the chefs are brothers). pretty reasonable but of course you can get carried away.
Is that on Dillingham somewhere? Man, I used to live around there, but I never checked um out. Definitely will go sometime though. Still live not too far.

jholic wrote:i just go to todai one time - that keeps me good for a few weeks, ha!
Oh yeah I went when I was on the mainland, but never get chance for go here yet. Ever been to Makino Chaya? I heard it's kind of similar? I going tomorrow, so I guess I will see...
blueeyedwolf wrote:I don't know about other islands, but still get people drinking in the cane fields here. Das if get any. If not dey go to da cemetary....crazy younging
Cemetery though?! That's kinda creepy. You must be from a neighbor island too ah? So inaka (for lack of a better word)... haha.

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Aug 2nd, '06, 08:11

Cemetery though?! That's kinda creepy. You must be from a neighbor island too ah? So inaka (for lack of a better word)... haha.
Hahaha! Ya, from Hilo. Small kine inaka compared to da tokai.

jholic wrote:
i just go to todai one time - that keeps me good for a few weeks, ha!
Oh yeah I went when I was on the mainland, but never get chance for go here yet. Ever been to Makino Chaya? I heard it's kind of similar? I going tomorrow, so I guess I will see...
You should definitely check out Todai in Oahu. I went when I was going to summer school at Manoa a few years back, and it was da bomb! It almost felt like I was back in Japan man. I totally recommend it. And we usually visit Todai every chance we can when we're being tourist in Honolulu. Definitely ono foods cuz! Ho! just talking about um making me hu~ngry! XD

Kanpai

Post by Kanpai » Aug 2nd, '06, 09:41

groink wrote: The only time I've ever bought takoyaki was at the annual festivals at Shirokiya.
--- groink
Yeah, I stand in line when Shirokiya has their food festivals too. But that's only one or two weeks each summer. I wish there was someplace you could buy takoyaki year round!

blueeyedwolf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by blueeyedwolf » Aug 2nd, '06, 11:14

groink wrote:

The only time I've ever bought takoyaki was at the annual festivals at Shirokiya.
--- groink

Yeah, I stand in line when Shirokiya has their food festivals too. But that's only one or two weeks each summer. I wish there was someplace you could buy takoyaki year round!
Shirokiya sells takoyaki? Since when? I must have missed it. I used to work at Shirokiya during the summer, but never came across any takoyaki.....bummer :cry: