Large Threads to be Locked - Please Read These Rules

speak whatever language you like here.
jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Large Threads to be Locked - Please Read These Rules

Post by jholic » Jan 12th, '08, 02:15

this section of the DA forum was created for DA members from different countries to enjoy themselves and bond with one another, using their own language if desired.

it has successfully met AND SURPASSED its expectations. many members enjoy conversing with one another and posting this section. PLEASE CONTINUE TO DO SO.

some threads, however, have grown TOO LARGE to moderate. when we receive complaints about off-topics, spam, racist remarks, threats, flames, etc, we are unable to split, merge, or do anything with these threads. also, the SEARCH WITHIN TOPIC function does not work, leaving almost no reason to have a massive thread.

the mods have all met and discussed this, and we have decided to LOCK these threads and DELETE them in 30 days. this will give you enough time to download any pictures or links that you want to from the original thread.
mizune wrote:Note: Threads over 100 pages long may be trimmed, edited, locked, and/or recreated without prior notice at the admin/moderators' discretion. Keeping threads at a manageable size is purely for housekeeping and forum administration purposes.
some of the reasons why these threads are soooo large are because:

1. pictures - we welcome members to share their pictures. but posting VERY LARGE pictures make it difficult to read the forum. use THUMBNAILS (photobucket). or hide your pictures with the SPOILER tag.

2. quoting - members use the 'quote' button too often instead of the 'post reply' button. do you need to quote the last 20 responses? i think people can tell who you are responding to. this is a waste of space.

3. consecutive posts - posting three or four or five times in a row ONLY A FEW MINUTES APART. please use the EDIT button instead ... unless it was a day or two after your previous post.

4. chatting - members are posting very short responses and using the forum like an instant messenger program. do this 50 - 1000 times and the thread can grow very large.

if you really want to chat, try this:
Setting up a D-addicts Friend:
1. Click on the blue "PROFILE" button along the top header bar. This should take you to the "Home" tab of your account settings.
2. Click on the "Profile" tab (next to the "Home" tab) to edit your personal information. This information can be public (visible to everybody), private (visible to nobody), or visible only to "friends/buddies".
3. To select which level of privacy you want, first click on the "Profile Settings" link. In the next window that opens, choose the "Privacy" option to select and customize your profile settings.
4. You can customize your profile settings however you like, but if you want to keep your IM info private from everyone but those you choose, make sure to that the "Display my messengers references" setting has the "only friends" option selected.
5. When you've finished your selections, hit the "Submit" button to save the settings.
6. To add a person to your Friends list, click on the "Buddy list" tab and add the usernames of anybody on this site you'd like to share your hidden information with.
7. To add your IM info, go back to the "Profiles" tab and click on the "Messengers" link. Add whatever info you like, and remember to hit the "Submit" button to save all your changes.
PLEASE CREATE A NEW THREAD IF THE OLD ONE IS LOCKED. ENJOY YOURSELVES AND POST.

but if the thread grows too large, the mods will need to lock it, so please consider our suggestions above.

THANK YOU!!

:salut:

groink

Re: Large Threads to be Locked - Please Read These Rules

Post by groink » Jan 13th, '08, 00:20

jholic wrote:4. chatting - members are posting very short responses and using the forum like an instant messenger program. do this 50 - 1000 times and the thread can grow very large.
One more HURRAH over this issue. It appears that some message board users cannot distinguish it from other forms of chat-like system (IM, IRC, social sites like myspace, etc.) Maybe YOU want the whole world to see your chats with other members. But the rest of the world do NOT. Respect the enjoyment of others like myself and refrain from chatty-like strings of message postings.

As jholic suggested... If you find yourself a friend within the message boards, it is Internet etiquette to take further chats between the two of you off from public view and continue the chats in private mail (PM).

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 13th, '08, 13:01

Everybody who likes to have a chat is invited to our good old IRC channel. :wink:
[url=http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_22480.htm]in another thread[/url] MoerkJ wrote:[...] You are welcome to have a chat about drama and other nice things in life.

channel: #d-addicts
server: irc.rizon.net
redirectors: irc.us.rizon.net , irc.eu.rizon.net
network homepage: http://www.rizon.net
network statistics: http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/Rizon/
URL for channel: [url]irc://irc.rizon.net:6667/d-addicts[/url]
IRC information: IRChelp.org

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jan 16th, '08, 09:33

excellent~

I for one am glad to see this rectified. There were a lot of threads that I was too afraid to step into because I knew I was going to leave with a headache and a loss of why I even stopped by there in the first place.

I have no problems with the friendly chatting going on in topics, as long as the conversation pertains to the topic/thread itself. and seriously, going back 1000+ pages would prove to be a feat/challenge not even the most patient fan can master.

and hopefully, this will be a note to those double and triple posters out there to refrain from posting multiple posts one after another.

I don't know if it's just me, but the "Edit" button is my friend and it annoys me to see that there are people too lazy to edit their posts.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 16th, '08, 19:46

lilswtangel wrote:I don't know if it's just me, but the "Edit" button is my friend and it annoys me to see that there are people too lazy to edit their posts.
I think the problem is that most of these frequent posters have the chatroom/IM mentality, in that once they send a message, they can't take it back. This, along with the convenience of the Quick Reply, adds to it. The Quick Reply is no different to these people than a chat window in Yahoo Messenger.

Us old timers learned that you cannot solder a resistor using a welding torch. Each tool has a specific purpose; a welding torch is for welding, and a soldering iron is for tiny soldering jobs. The new generation of Internet users must learn how to address each type of Internet service, rather than treating all services the same.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 23rd, '08, 05:06

just to reiterate, though, this was not done to PUNISH our members. if we wanted to do that, we would have banned abusers. we want our members to enjoy themselves, and post to their hearts content, but as lilswtangel mentioned, a 1000pg is not very beneficial to anyone. in fact, i believe at 100 or 200pgs, you can't even conduct a 'search within the thread'.

our suggestions are reminders that there ways to communicate efficiently so the thread does not grow too large, too quickly - that way, other members can benefit from it.

thank you!

colyn7

Post by colyn7 » Jan 12th, '09, 15:01

:roll
Last edited by colyn7 on Jan 12th, '09, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 12th, '09, 15:09

^ Huh?? :scratch:

colyn7

Post by colyn7 » Jan 12th, '09, 16:12

ooopsss... that's a wrong post.. am

sorry...

groink

Post by groink » Jan 12th, '09, 23:45

I'm actually glad someone bumped this topic.... This rule needs to be re-visited. In one year, the Yamashita Tomohisa topic has grown to almost 500 pages.

--- groink

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 13th, '09, 00:22

I sorta have mixed feelings about this... Even if you locked/trimmed those threads, they'll just grow back again in no time...

If anything, you should have people cut down on their signatures: a lot of 'em are bloated with a bunch of images and huge animated gifs... :sweat: