braces - cute/attractive or a huge turnoff?

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.

cute/attractive or a massive turnoff?

cute/attractive
60%
massive turnoff
40%

Total votes: 98

uniquo

braces - cute/attractive or a huge turnoff?

Post by uniquo » Apr 26th, '06, 11:32

Hi... if you saw a girl/guy with braces on would you think it was attractive/cute or a massive turnoff? and why?

Aegis

Post by Aegis » Apr 26th, '06, 11:56

Well everybody has their fetishes.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 26th, '06, 12:46

This topic should really belong in the Life & Relationships forum.

aibo

Post by aibo » Apr 26th, '06, 13:40

tehe..... never had needed braces myself but i can give you a spectator's point of view:

but chicks with braces from the age of 12-15 is very cute..... that's why i asked my parents for braces..... not knowing.... how (fcuking) painful they would be :lol

cees

Post by cees » Apr 26th, '06, 13:44

well iam wearing braces ryt now and iam not bt 12-15....but i think that they look cute(on me).....i think that ppl under 15 with braces looks weird coz i think that they dont take a really good care of them....in general i think that wearing braces looks attractive if the person knows how to make them look good on them .....btw glasses with braces looks so not cute

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 26th, '06, 14:08

There are some people who look totally cute with braces!

[img]http://gallery.teengirl-pics.com/pictures/6488/12.jpg[/img]

Her, for example. :wub: It makes her look a lot cuter to wear braces!

On other people, it doesn't look as cute, though. And I agree, glasses plus braces is usually not that great a combination - looks a bit too nerdy.

kryptolus

Post by kryptolus » Apr 26th, '06, 14:17

Nothing wrong with braces. However, people who constantly complain about their braces are unattractive. Maybe it's just me, but I think people who have braces turn more off people by complaining about them than by just not minding it.

skachild

Post by skachild » Apr 26th, '06, 14:23

aibo wrote:that's why i asked my parents for braces..... not knowing.... how (fcuking) painful they would be :lol
haha.... :lol :lol :lol
good for you lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
i never saw a girl/guy with braces are cute or attractive.. except for the pic that Néa Vanille post :wub: :wub:
i have a friend (guy) wearing braces and he look :rambo: :thumbdown:

aibo

Post by aibo » Apr 26th, '06, 15:10

braces seem to make your teeth whiter O.o................... well when my friend had them in year 8 :lol so cute

cheer up if you have braces.. slick on some nude tinted lip gloss to those plump lips and you'd be super cute :lol

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Apr 27th, '06, 01:15

I see so many people with braces so I think it's OK( after they are done with that painful braces stage, they'll have a nice pair of straight teeth's^^)

And somehow, it does make them look cute...and adorable! But it depends on a person's view..some people are so DAMN picky about how a girl/guy should look...

whisperss_57

Post by whisperss_57 » Apr 27th, '06, 01:22

do you think itd affect the way they kiss?

kiyami

Post by kiyami » Apr 27th, '06, 01:58

I guess it depends. I voted cute. Sometimes I think it's cute when guys have braces though that comments generally aimed towards my age group, y'know high school-ish. I have braces myself so, well, it's nice to have someone there to share your pain. XD But it can be a turnoff especially if they have food stuck in them. D: Er...

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Apr 27th, '06, 04:37

I wonder why it is asked though. Are you considering getting them/need them? Find them attractive yourself? Or, have them and just wonder?

Well, I never had dental insurance until this year but was told I should probably get braces when I was in high school. I never got them. I couldn't afford them and was afraid of how they'd make me look, the pain, limited foods, staining around brackets, etc. I have slight crowding which isn't clearly noticed (nowhere near a train-wreck) unless I open and point it out. I also clench and grind my teeth in my sleep. Always have. This doesn't help things, never having gotten braces. I'm indifferent on how they look on other people.

Now, technology has come even further in the past 5 years or so. Now they have those Invisalign things which I would totally do (those clear mouthpieces). However, since I waited, my current dental coverage does NOT cover orthodontics for adults T___T My dentist says he would "like" me to get them some time if I get the money to. I wish I could.

With that being said, anyone who is considering them or have been told they need them, GET THEM if your insurance covers a decent portion (or your parents will pay for it). Screw how they look. You'll be the one with straight and gorgeous teeth in 2 years.

inutikidude
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by inutikidude » Apr 27th, '06, 04:41

i hav braces rite now and im 14. i think they look fine. i never saw people complaining about braces b4 o_O. but heck they hurt ALOT when u first get em >__<'' and of course the food limit and such

aibo

Post by aibo » Apr 27th, '06, 06:30

whisperss_57 wrote:do you think itd affect the way they kiss?
:lol

kerbed to the simple peck i suppose.... if anyone has a story about braces locking together, please dont be shy to share your story lol.

dEvIlDuDe

Post by dEvIlDuDe » Apr 27th, '06, 06:45

Somehow I find em cute specially when they smile(just makes me aaww or wow in the brain)... dont get me wrong i got no brace fetish ha

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Apr 27th, '06, 06:52

i want to wear braces but could never get myself to be brave enough to stand the pain..

i think they look cute though but yeah i have no fetish too

dEvIlDuDe

Post by dEvIlDuDe » Apr 27th, '06, 07:01

^^but you do want one hehe

NinaS

Post by NinaS » Apr 27th, '06, 07:24

milleu87 wrote:i want to wear braces but could never get myself to be brave enough to stand the pain..
Yeah! they do hurt, but they aren't really that painful. If you really think you need them, then i will tell you this, "It is all worth it in the end!"

When I had braces back in highschool i was very self-conscious about my appearance, but got over it. Trust me, most guys think braces are cute. Even older guys think its cute. My guy friends tell me all the time that girls with braces are cute and they are between the ages of 19-25.

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Apr 27th, '06, 07:36

hehe. i am already 19 and in college.will be graduating in 2 years...be funny if i have to wear braces to work interview...

wai_muna

Post by wai_muna » Apr 27th, '06, 07:40

some people look good in braces...some are not...but i agree..12-15 yrs old is cute if ur wearing braces...when i was 12.. my parent asked me to weqar braces but i disagree because i heard its so painful and ur look terrible in it...i just knew it cute if wear it then...huuhuhuhu

allredndizzy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by allredndizzy » Apr 30th, '06, 19:45

it's not too late for anyone to have braces! heck i have one.. and i'm 21! i'm job-hunting now so needless to say, they see me with it..but it's ok..it's all about how u carry urself :-) it's not that painful.. especially when u'r used to it..like i am... neweiz it'll be all worth it in the end :D :D

dEvIlDuDe

Post by dEvIlDuDe » Apr 30th, '06, 19:58

^^ Patingin naman ng pics?? hahah

allredndizzy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by allredndizzy » Apr 30th, '06, 20:20

:P :P :P

dEvIlDuDe

Post by dEvIlDuDe » Apr 30th, '06, 20:22

eeeehh dont give me that ...let us see some pics :P:P

diOdio

Post by diOdio » May 2nd, '06, 20:01

uhh. 26 with braces here. =(
i got em really late in the game and i cant wait to get them off. i also look very young so with braces i can pass for 16. i always get the double look when i order 18 year old scotch. anyway, i hate them on myself, but its true they do look cute on some people. probably its a confidence factor. more likely its because cute = hot in my opinion.

whisperss_57

Post by whisperss_57 » May 2nd, '06, 20:34

aibo wrote:
whisperss_57 wrote:do you think itd affect the way they kiss?

kerbed to the simple peck i suppose.... if anyone has a story about braces locking together, please dont be shy to share your story lol.
hahah i have braces. nvr affected my kissing XD

but im getting mine off soon =D YAHH

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » May 3rd, '06, 19:56

I have a dentist appt in 15 minutes. He wants me to get braces. I might ask for a referral this time :sweat: I would like to get them over with and unless my insurance *really* won't cover it (been told they won't cover braces for ppl over 19), I don't really have an excuse anymore. I just have slight crowding on the bottom so I would hope it wouldn't be too bad. I would dread having teeth pulled, so I hope that wouldn't be necessary. I also would hope for Invisalign :)

groink

Post by groink » May 3rd, '06, 20:07

neonkinpatsu wrote:I have a dentist appt in 15 minutes.
Just remember to get that metal stud out of your tongue before your appointment.*

--- groink

*-reference to an old avatar

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » May 3rd, '06, 23:10

groink wrote:
neonkinpatsu wrote:I have a dentist appt in 15 minutes.
Just remember to get that metal stud out of your tongue before your appointment.*

--- groink

*-reference to an old avatar
LOL, I never take it out without switching to another, not even for the dentist. Actually, I bring my spares to them and he cleans them in some kinda denture cleaning machine :lol It gets plaque buildup on the bottom sometimes.

I took it out once for an x-ray of my neck following a car accident, then I ran and put it back in. The tongue is a muscle and the hole can close quickly so many people (like me) can't leave it out for more than a few minutes.

On a funny note: One time a few years ago, a ball fell out while I was eating cereal but I got it and put it back on. 6 months ago I accidentally swallowed one that came off while I was eating. That sucked b/c it was my favorite, it was purple ;__; Other than that, it stays in place.

Wow, I love the results of a cleaning. I hate the goddamned scraping though.....it gives me the feel of nails on a chalkboard. Anyway, no referral for braces yet....gotta check my insurance and get 2 fillings :(

ukbratboy

Post by ukbratboy » May 4th, '06, 01:38

Been wearing braces for last 3 and half years - and man are they a pain. Have to change all my eating habits. They can be quite painful though.
I was given an alternative - wearing braces for about 4.5 years or surgery and I choose braces - sometime now - especially when the braces are tightened, I think I made the wrong decision : :-( I should have gone for the surgery, at least the pain would have been for few days. With braces. it basically it is recurring.

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » May 4th, '06, 01:40

ukbratboy wrote:Been wearing braces for last 3 and half years - and man are they a pain. Have to change all my eating habits. They can be quite painful though.
I was given an alternative - wearing braces for about 4.5 years or surgery and I choose braces - sometime now - especially when the braces are tightened, I think I made the wrong decision : :-( I should have gone for the surgery, at least the pain would have been for few days. With braces. it basically it is recurring.
OMG, sounds serious! :O I would've probably done the surgery, depending on the circumstances....

ukbratboy

Post by ukbratboy » May 4th, '06, 08:06

neonkinpatsu wrote:
ukbratboy wrote:Been wearing braces for last 3 and half years - and man are they a pain. Have to change all my eating habits. They can be quite painful though.
OMG, sounds serious! :O I would've probably done the surgery, depending on the circumstances....
Not that serious :-) - just imactions and some other stuffs.
I chickened out from surgery. I thought it'd be too painful. Man did I make a wrong decison - that's something I regert deeply. And something funny - surgery would have been covered by my insurance, but braces are not covered. But they are comparatively cheaper here in Bangkok. I was in England last year for a year- went almost broke :P paying the dentists there.
Cheers
Cat

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » May 4th, '06, 15:18

This link might help people considering it: http://www.archwired.com/HowMuchDoBracesCost.htm

Surgery isn't fun, but I probably would have done it if I were in your situation. I had my wisdom teeth removed surgically.....all 4 were impacted. It sucked, but it only had an effect for a week or so. There was bleeding and a lot of pain. I don't know what your surgery would have involved, it might have been worse than mine. The first 2 days were awful, but bearable now that I look back...

luith

Post by luith » May 4th, '06, 15:26

kookieazn

Post by kookieazn » May 7th, '06, 19:54

hi i have been away for awhile... and since i have been away i got BRACES!!!!! i have had them for a month now and let me tell you they HURT like heck when i first got them!!! but now i just eat what ever i want!! i really arent too bad!!! but i still havent gotten them tighten yet :cry: its funny cuz everyone in my family has braces!! my mom, sister and brother have them so i am not the only one who has to suffer mwhahahaha ( my dad is to chicken) !!!!!! and my orthodontist is giving me a free IPOD!!!! yayayayay!!! :cheers:
if anyone thinks they have it bad with looks... i am a short asian girl with glasses, braces and pig tails i could pass for 13 again!!

pubbie

Post by pubbie » May 12th, '06, 10:21

[deleted by administration - read the forum policy]

Prowler_88

Post by Prowler_88 » May 12th, '06, 10:50

pubbie wrote:[deleted by administration - read the forum policy]
!! :blink !!

I havent voted because i really think it depends upon the person. But I dont think it should make or break a relationship...if you like the person then braces or not it shouldnt really matter

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » May 12th, '06, 10:56

luith wrote:Did anyone see this yet?
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... id=1543586
That's pretty interesting..I wonder why.. Could it be because of a "cuteness" factor? Or do they really want to get their teeth straightened? :scratch: Good article nonetheless..

Anyway, for me, I think it's pretty cute when i see a pretty girl with braces. In fact, the first time I fell in love, when I was about 14, the girl had braces. :wub: I guess it also depends the age a little..

kookieazn wrote:hi i have been away for awhile... and since i have been away i got BRACES!!!!! i have had them for a month now and let me tell you they HURT like heck when i first got them!!! but now i just eat what ever i want!! i really arent too bad!!! but i still havent gotten them tighten yet its funny cuz everyone in my family has braces!! my mom, sister and brother have them so i am not the only one who has to suffer mwhahahaha ( my dad is to chicken) !!!!!! and my orthodontist is giving me a free IPOD!!!! yayayayay!!!
if anyone thinks they have it bad with looks... i am a short asian girl with glasses, braces and pig tails i could pass for 13 again!!
Yea, I've heard many stories similar to yours. They say at first, it's a little hard to get used to. With the tightening and all, it can get pretty painful. But even after all that, they say it's a wonderful experience.. I'm sure you'll feel the same way..Good job on getting that Ipod!! :lol By the way, which part of Arizona do you live?

Prowler_88 wrote:havent voted because i really think it depends upon the person. But I dont think it should make or break a relationship...if you like the person then braces or not it shouldnt really matter
Good point, but still...I guess braces shouldn't really matter so much..but it does add a plus to attractiveness, at least to some people..

kookieazn

Post by kookieazn » May 13th, '06, 03:12

albertoavena wrote:Yea, I've heard many stories similar to yours. They say at first, it's a little hard to get used to. With the tightening and all, it can get pretty painful. But even after all that, they say it's a wonderful experience.. I'm sure you'll feel the same way..Good job on getting that Ipod!! :lol By the way, which part of Arizona do you live?
i live in east mesa, but i work in chandler. where in chandler are you from??

babyxdorkii

Post by babyxdorkii » May 13th, '06, 03:19

you don't have to get braces can't u just go directly to the stage or taking the teeth out that are not straight?? like what Yunho from dbsk did and hyunjun from SS501?? but that process is like 2-3 days and 12+ the first day , the next few days like 6 hours about...and ta daa nice pairs of teeth!! but it's painful!!! esp the first day...

Zulfi

Post by Zulfi » May 16th, '06, 22:01

To me it makes no difference, a beautiful girl is a beautiful girl... braces or no braces... Tho each to their own... some peeps may like it, some detest it...

I'll tell u what tho... great teeth are definitely a plus! so all the effort u guys/girls go through will pay off in the end!

I had braces for about 12 years... lotsa different types...tracks a few times, retainers, head gear etc... I guess at times it did affect my self consciousness. Somehow if I see a girl with braces I see it as something to talk about, common ground in a way, rather than a physical feature to dwell on :)

Oh and I still have braces behind my teeth, for life.

Anyways all in all I would say if someone really likes u, the braces aren't gonna make a difference really (as long as u keep it all clean :) It's not like ur gonna have them for life anyways, then u'll have nice teeth after!

Edit: after reading my post I talk more about 'is it a turn off?'... I guess I spent more time whilst growing up thinkin about that :)

yaya*

Post by yaya* » Jun 4th, '06, 00:43

some pips look good with braces..i used to have one nd it didnt look god in me...

cgozun

Post by cgozun » Jun 4th, '06, 00:54

I prefer a girl wear braces if her teeth are insanely crooked.

Zulfi

Post by Zulfi » Jun 5th, '06, 18:22

damn my brace that I'm meant to have for life.... just broke! gotsa go hospital tmrw

uniquo

Post by uniquo » Jun 6th, '06, 12:56

didn't realise how popular this thread would get.

I have braces on at the moment.. the metal ones.. been on them for over a year now, and I must say my mouth looks better now that the teeth are in my mouth, instead of slanting outwards. My mouth looks neater... even though now I am having to deal with the pain every 6 -4wks... one year on I say it is worth it.

having the braces on changed the shape of my face which I am very happy about. I had a square face and now my face looks longer and skinnier.. and my having the braces on enocouraged my bros gf to get them on as well.. shes got them on now.

the reason I got them on is because I saw one photo taken using a digital camera and I realised that I really needed to get them fixed. the traditional camera kinda blends things out, and the digital camera really doesn't lie. besides I'm growing older and prices go up with time.. so I thought better now than later when I'm nearing 30 to get braces. I'm ojnly paying roughly 50 % as I have private health cover.

btw .. ukboy how come you have to have them on for over 2 years? my orthodontist told me 2 years.. then 1 with the plates. Oh and I got them on when I was 2 months short of my 24 th b'day... so I'll nearly be 26 when I get them off.. can't wait... people think I'm 18 with them on.

kookieazn

Post by kookieazn » Jun 13th, '06, 06:52

my poor cuz finally got his braces off after EIGHT years!!!!!!!!!! he went through the head gear and everything you could possible imagine!!

eternal_dragon_666

Post by eternal_dragon_666 » Jun 14th, '06, 06:44

holy smokes, 8 years, never heard of anything close to that! And they send murderers to jail for only 8 years.

Fangirl

Post by Fangirl » Jun 15th, '06, 03:35

I'm not sure about the question 'cause it's not like braces are permanent...however I had braces all through high school and it was terrible. I had to go through several surgery procedures 'cause I had impacted canines (they were stuck and didn't want to come out and say hello to the world).

The 1st surgury was with a specialist...they recommended being knocked out but being scared of that I chose to be awake through it. This wouldn't have been a problem but they kept trying to cover my eyes! (oooh baby lemme see some blood JK XD). Well the specialist was only able to do half of the surgery (only success with one canine tooth) because he said my one tooth was too deep.

So the 2nd surgury was with the orthodontist (Back to the orthodontist?! He'd sent me to a specialist for a reason!!!). I'm telling you now that when you're about to be injected with a needle it's not good for them to say to you "I haven't used one of these since college." ..."How many years have you been in practice?"..."Over 20." (OMGZ NOOOO!) Poor me huh? Really it was one big trouble after another.

Well now that I've scared most of you away from braces, MY JOB IS DONE. HAHA XD No not really...I'd like to say that I'm actually very glad I got braces because now I have a gorgeous smile. :lol

jieshi

Post by jieshi » Jun 15th, '06, 03:40

I have heard it said "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I truly believe this is a correct statement. If the person looking at you thinks you are unattractive due to your braces, are they the sort of person you want to find you attractive? A person who truly finds you attractive, would look at your personality before your looks- they would look past the braces

hehe~

hehe

Post by hehe~ » Jun 15th, '06, 04:08

as for me it depends on the environment and the people...
i use to wear bracesfor 5 years.. :D
and it sucks because boys always calling me by names that i really don't like... :x
it makes me sad but i said to myself that they jelous because they don't have this 'cool' thing on... 8)
it make me feel unique because i'm the only girl wearing braces at the school...
rite now i'm free from braces...hehe...and totally worth wearing it...
:cheers: :cheers:

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jun 15th, '06, 04:25

LoL, i'm surprised at the all the positive answers. i guess i could see braces cute as in a little kid kind of way. but they'd be a turn off for me.

i mean if someone i liked or thought was cute had braces, i wouldn't stop liking them or anything. i just wouldn't consider it a positive attribute.

during that age of elementary-high school i don't think it matters at all if someone has braces. if you're older then, LoL, sorry i don't mean that as a insult.

Ruka707

Post by Ruka707 » Jul 12th, '08, 19:46

Not a huge, but... definitely a turnoff.

Ayulyn

Post by Ayulyn » Aug 2nd, '08, 22:37

It may be cute depending on the age and person but in general I don't find them especially attractive. My ex had a fetish for them though which freaked me out a little.

zcbml

Post by zcbml » Aug 7th, '08, 19:24

The dentist who worked on my braces actually told me that it would be a embarrassement to bring it to college!!!! "You don't want to wear that to college don't you" LOL!! How rude!

Calevera

Post by Calevera » Mar 23rd, '09, 16:25

When I first saw someone with braces on, I thought it was a tiny turn off. Only a small one. Over time though I came to see people with braces as sort of underdogs. They have to endure not looking their best (imo) for a long period of time. So, in that context of being an underdog, every time I see braces during a smile or laugh, it looks cute to me.

Gir

Post by Gir » Mar 23rd, '09, 16:41

Well, they sure do not look any worse than most of the metal that people stick in them that they think looks good.

freelife

Post by freelife » Mar 23rd, '09, 17:01

Honestly speaking, it's kind of a turn-off for me, but I think it's because of the environment I grew up in... If in your circle of friends it's considered cute, then be it. It's all about the influences. ^^ I think that the people that wear them are really thinking of the future and resisting the pain is really brave from them. I think the same thing is basically about glasses. A few years ago, everyone was trying to buy contacts and hide the fact that they wear glasses, now some wear it as simple accessory. And even so, it depends on the influence. :D Or at least that's what I think. :P

Phantasia

Post by Phantasia » Mar 23rd, '09, 22:57

I think their okay. It works depending on the girl. =]

Linda27

Post by Linda27 » Jul 29th, '11, 06:37

Braces used for a series of tapes that move over your shoulders, so as to maintain posture in good order. When your posture improves you will find it easy to keep yourself and all the pressure. Please note that some of the cheaper models of the shoulder straps dig the skin and weapons, but a good shoulder straps are included textile lining to keep your body cool and dry.

paulineeeho

Post by paulineeeho » Sep 30th, '11, 14:33

i used to have brace. i had clear ones so it looked like i didnt have braces. for some people braces look really bad on them LOL. but ifthey're cute it's another story.

wertyasd123

Post by wertyasd123 » Oct 15th, '11, 18:26

i think people with braces are cute and charming... :-)

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Oct 15th, '11, 19:36

I wouldn't get so hung up over if braces is attractive or not wearing them.
They're most likely a temporary thing, needed for limited time to adjust the teeth.

I had them for a number of years myself when I were younger.
From the invisible plastic one (had something on my head at night when sleeping) where you could adjust how tight they would be. I remember crying at night becasue it hurt like hell the first nights. Later on I got the metallic version.

fictionalistic

Post by fictionalistic » Feb 9th, '14, 01:07

Could be cute. Also, if it isn't, braces aren't for forever!