Girl Mistaken for Cute/Handsome Boy Compliment or Not?

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.

Girl Mistaken for Boy Compliment or Not?

Compliment
32%
Insult
68%

Total votes: 76

miicriic

Girl Mistaken for Cute/Handsome Boy Compliment or Not?

Post by miicriic » Jun 20th, '07, 04:45

Would you consider it a compliment or not for a girl to be mistaken as a cute/handsome boy, why or why not (please also tell if your perspective is a guy or girl perspective)? I felt like asking this in part, because of the HanaKimi drama... but also because in real life I've had some girl friends who had short hair and could be mistaken as a cute boy.

BlueMidnightBaroque

Post by BlueMidnightBaroque » Jun 20th, '07, 05:06

well for one thing you get to be a cute boy :mrgreen: ^.^lols

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 20th, '07, 05:32

TOTALLY A COMPLIMENT!! (girl's point of view btw). I have short hair myself and i've got mistaken for a boy before i cut my hair. Actually it's a very funny story! Haha! I feel like telling it now!

I went to Russia over the sammur last year and i wore a beany hat cuz it was kinda cold the whole summer, and my hair was a tottal mess!!! it was sooo crazy i couldn't really bruch it, so when i put on my hat i looked like a skater, and so, we went to this resort to stay for a week and my friend (which is a guy and 3 years younger then me and about a foot shorter then me, and his hair was fairly long, kinda like skater hair, and it was like all flowy and all, kinda like a girl's hair. haha!) and we came to this little market and we were holding hands, just because lol, and we came up to this lady and I was like 'um, excuse me, but do you have *some sort of food* by any chance?' and i was losing my voice that day, and when i lose my voice it sounds like a guy's voice, and the woman was like 'no sorry, we don't have that anymore.' and then out of nowhere she was like 'is that your girlfriend? You don't look like you're from here, better keep her safe' and she said that to me! and i was like 'huh? oh, that's my friend' and she was like 'well, you're a kind young man. make sure you keep her safe though.' and my friend and i looked at each other and were like 'i'm a girl ma'am' and my friend was like 'and i'm a boy' and the woman didn't believe us so she started laughing and called us liars lmao!!!

hahah! well, i didn't mind being mistaken for a boy, i guess i'm look good enough to be both hahahah!

NanaTorigawa

Post by NanaTorigawa » Jun 20th, '07, 05:40

well if peopel are saying you look like a cute boy than a compliment...
If some one says "You look like a boy" i would take that as an inult but if they say "You look like a cute boy" then it is a compliment...

it matters if the person saying it was meaning it to be an insult...

elden41

Post by elden41 » Jun 20th, '07, 06:02

I don't think that's a compliment at all. If you're a girl, you should look like a girl unless you're intentionally trying to look like a guy. If it's not obvious, I'm a guy.

I definitely would be insulted if someone said I look like a girl. No way would I want to appear that feminine.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jun 20th, '07, 14:39

what elden said.

If someone mistook me for a girl I would probably change my hair, diet, clothes....pretty much re-evaluate my whole life.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Jun 20th, '07, 14:52

if someone mistook me for a guy (even a cute one) i wouldn't be happy. lets face it, cute is in the eye of the beholder, but being mistaken for a whole different gender is not that flattering.

skachild

Post by skachild » Jun 20th, '07, 15:00

i dont think any body will be misunderstanding me as a "girl" coz my body look a little bit muscular.. haha... :lol
but if somebody said im cute.... i probably will get piss off.... have u seen a guy been cute...?? i seen alot of "boy" that are cute but "guy"...
never...!!

but i did misunderstand one of my friend cousin... when she wearing a cap and dress like a guy... she really looks like a guy... but when she speak.... then i knew she's a girl... but she damn hot when she dress up probably... as a girl lol... :wub:

Nadil
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Nadil » Jun 20th, '07, 15:06

for me it's not a compliment :unsure:
when i was little (7yrs old or something) i had pretty short hair... and that's why all kinds of aunts mistook me for a boy all the time :( they were like "oh~ what a cute lil boy"
:crazy: it totally pissed me off ...
since then i keep my hair long :whistling:

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jun 20th, '07, 15:21

I tend to find androgynous people to be very attractive, or at the very least very intriguing. But I understand that most people don't.

I think Terra Naomi, this youtube rock star, looks a lot like an effeminate man and I am very fascinated with the way she looks. Personally I wouldn't want to be confused for a man, though.

Kamui6
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kamui6 » Jun 20th, '07, 18:12

I am not androgynous... some ppl just don't look carefully. I didn't mind it that much when I was younger hanging with a group of boys.

I hate getting called 'Sir' by accident... just because I am wearing a cap and a jacket where you can't see my boobs. :cussing: You should see the person's face when they realized I am female. :pale:

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Jun 20th, '07, 18:23

kobe23 wrote:what elden said.

If someone mistook me for a girl I would probably change my hair, diet, clothes....pretty much re-evaluate my whole life.
Lol :lol . If someone mistook me for a boy then I'd definitely be insulted. Girls would call you a cute boy and guys don't really say the word cute so they just see you as a boy and there goes your dating life.

a2a

Post by a2a » Jun 20th, '07, 18:34

Lol it depends... I wouldn't like to be called a boy, but I don't think I would ever be mistaken for one (long hair, big boobs and curves can't be mistaken right?).
However I have a friend who gets mistaken for a boy a lot! I remember this one time there we were eating outside and a little girl approached us and asked her "Are you a girl or a boy?" and my friend replied "We'll never get to the point where you'll have to know". But the girl kept asking. "What do you think I am?" "A boy..." "You miss! I'm a girl!" But this little girl kept insisting that my friend was a boy saying "If you were a girl you would have long hair and these" and she pointed to my boobs. I almost died in laughter. "I told you I'm a girl! Do you think all girls look the same?" In the end I don't think that kid believed her but thanks to the misunderstand we had a really good time. When I asked my friend how she felt about it she said: " I was pissed that she wouldn't believe me, but I find it quite amusing being mistaken for a boy." However she hates it when people mistake her for her brother!

Pekana

Post by Pekana » Jun 20th, '07, 18:41

I've never been mistaken for a guy and I would never ever want to be mistaken for one, no matter if I'm being perceived as a cute guy. I would think that something was wrong with either my appearance or the person's eyesight.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Jun 20th, '07, 18:53

Of course its not a compliment. Unless you dress/act like a guy and want that kind of compliment.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 21st, '07, 01:05

if another guy called me a 'cute boy', they'd be in for a world of hurt.

as others mentioned, i think a girl being called a boy is still not nearly as bad as a guy being called a girl. dem's fightin' words.

i think your poll is missing a third option of 'neutral' or 'depends', because some don't perceive it as a compliment or an insult.
Last edited by jholic on Jun 22nd, '07, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Jun 21st, '07, 01:26

battlegirlai wrote:if someone mistook me for a guy (even a cute one) i wouldn't be happy. lets face it, cute is in the eye of the beholder, but being mistaken for a whole different gender is not that flattering.
I'm with you on this one... although it can be quite amusing at times.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Jun 21st, '07, 01:47

i wonder why the guys are so against being called cute? nothing is wrong at all with a cute guy! (i personally wouldn't call any male over the age of 16 a boy unless their actions and mentality call for it...but i can totally understand if its the "boy" label thats unflattering)

but I (and many of my female friends, coworkers, and aquaintances) have remarked to guys and about them that they are cute. the guys didn't seem to mind too much ^_^ maybe its the context that you guys object to? i can understand not being flattered by "awwwwwwwwww, aren't you cute?" but is having a girl smile at you and say "you're cute!" or saying "ooo, he's cute!" to her friends really that bad? cute can mean so many things...from literally meaning cute to meaning cool, sexy, hot, funny, etc...

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 21st, '07, 05:36

battlegirlai wrote:i wonder why the guys are so against being called cute? nothing is wrong at all with a cute guy! (i personally wouldn't call any male over the age of 16 a boy unless their actions and mentality call for it...but i can totally understand if its the "boy" label thats unflattering)

but I (and many of my female friends, coworkers, and aquaintances) have remarked to guys and about them that they are cute. the guys didn't seem to mind too much ^_^ maybe its the context that you guys object to? i can understand not being flattered by "awwwwwwwwww, aren't you cute?" but is having a girl smile at you and say "you're cute!" or saying "ooo, he's cute!" to her friends really that bad? cute can mean so many things...from literally meaning cute to meaning cool, sexy, hot, funny, etc...
HAHAHAHAAHAH!!! Well, the truth has just been revealed ladies and gentelmen hahahaha! gee! way to reveal the secret of the 'girl' language!! lmao!! jk jk! agree with you totally!

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Jun 21st, '07, 05:53

aw crudmonkies! i've been found out! please dont report me to the girl-language authorities! lol!! it was an accident, i swear! ^_^

hey, at least i didn't get into the more secret girl-language codes ^_^ lol!!

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 21st, '07, 06:30

battlegirlai wrote:aw crudmonkies! i've been found out! please dont report me to the girl-language authorities! lol!! it was an accident, i swear! ^_^

hey, at least i didn't get into the more secret girl-language codes ^_^ lol!!
lmao!! oh! and i was thinking of just calling the authorities right then!!! hahahaha!!! yah, good thing you mentioned only ONE little thing hahahaha!!! ^-^v

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jun 21st, '07, 06:56

To the guys: If a girl calls you cute it is a complement. If a guy (heterosexual) calls you cute... it's probably an insult. :lol

As for being mistaken for a guy.... it used to happen to me all the time when I was young. I was tall, had short hair (like pixie short) and we were poor so more than half of the clothes I wore where my brothers hand-me-downs. I had someone ask me if I was a boy or girl almost everyday because I looked, dressed, acted, and was friends with boys, but I was pretty, so it threw people off.

It was really annoying at the time... not because no one could tell if I was a boy or girl but because I was asked that question so often. I eventually got tired of it and let my hair grow (which I hated). As soon as I had boobs big enough for that not to happen my hair started getting shorter again. :lol I'll definitely never be mistaken for a guy again... it's freaking impossible to hide these things now.

bunsie

Post by bunsie » Jun 21st, '07, 07:02

I'm female. Last summer, I shaved my head. Around the time when it was growing back and 2 inches long, I was walking on the street and heard a little girl asking her mom if I was a boy or a girl. I thought that was pretty funny. :33 Okay... and I admit I felt a teensy bit sad that apparently the rest of me hadn't been feminine enough to convince her that I was a girl. >_>

Fujia

Post by Fujia » Jun 21st, '07, 07:40

:D Why a insult?
:wub: It used to happen to me all the time when I was young. I was short, strong, and all my friend say, with carisma! Cute!
:thumright: I had short hair and I wore youngs clothes. No one ask me if I was a boy or girl; all think I was a boy!
I walk every day with pretty girl and all think I was blessed! More girl look at me with big lovely eyes. I was glad, and smile, but I think no was a insult! :cheers:

meviet

Post by meviet » Jun 21st, '07, 23:13

one of my friends posted her picture on a game forum, and she looked exactly like a guy.

there was this gay guy wanted to ask her out, and some other girls also wanted to talk to her, because they all thought she was a he.
she became very famous in that forum. trust me, if i didn't know she was a girl, i would have thought that was a guy in the picture, too.
she's actually enjoying being a guy. she didn't want to tell them that she's a girl. i would love to do the same.

phramc

Post by phramc » Jun 22nd, '07, 00:00

I get called a guy all the time on the phone because my voice is low, not nessecarily man low but low enough to think I'm a teenage boy. Anyways if it were my appearance I'd be a little astounded but I don't think I'd worry to much about it.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 22nd, '07, 00:12

battlegirlai wrote:i wonder why the guys are so against being called cute? nothing is wrong at all with a cute guy! (i personally wouldn't call any male over the age of 16 a boy unless their actions and mentality call for it...but i can totally understand if its the "boy" label thats unflattering)
battlegirl, you are correct. as i was posting, in my mind, i wanted to say "if ANOTHER GUY called me a 'cute boy'....", but i wrote it wrong. as i would never hurt a lady (unless she was killing me), i meant to say 'another guy'. the ladies can call me anything they want. (unfortunately, they usually do - bastard, jerk, hideous, smelly, ugly, etc....)

Dreamfall

Post by Dreamfall » Jun 22nd, '07, 10:20

Hey...no big deal...For example...I'm a girl and my , now very good friend (female), tells me sometimes that I'm cute...and I'm 100% sure that she's straight...It is so nice to admit that someone is cute, beautiful,even sexy...and not to have any wrong feelings about it...
If guy tells you that you are cute...it is very nice of him...that means his ego is not that big so he can't admit someones beauty...If I were you I'll feel flattered...
*Other posible thing is that gUy is actualy gAy*
No man can look like a girl...without lots of makeup :D

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jun 23rd, '07, 22:14

I would consider it as an isult because cute, or not, i wouldnt like to be mistaken by a boy...

Duet

Post by Duet » Jun 28th, '07, 01:15

I have pretty boy faced features. Its not apparent but its still boyish. And my voice isnt super soft or SUPER girly, I mean its a girls voice but it could also be i dont know a boys voice? I hope I;m not confsing anyone.
I mean When I pull my hair back and you know throw a hoodie on and look like poo when i dont want to make an effort that day because I'm super lazy or something, asian girls hit on me. A LOT.

I mean its not necessay an insult, but its not something you should be proud of either.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Jun 28th, '07, 07:29

LOL Duet, now that's funny to be hit on by girls

Off Topic....nice to see again Duet, how was the trip to southeast Asia?

Back to topic....I don't mind when my friends call me "guy", because it's just a general slang lang in our group and we use it for everybody....and the guys didn't mind it too when us females told them that they are cute, because we mean it sincerely :D....

Duet

Post by Duet » Jun 28th, '07, 23:52

LOL hi mimmi the trip was fantastic!

And yeah when they call people guys its just a way to you know, call people so i dont mind it.

x NomadGirl x

Post by x NomadGirl x » Jul 2nd, '07, 04:11

I think most girls would feel insulted...it's like a guy being mistaken for a hot/pretty girl! That's humiliating. -_-' Unless some girls prefer to be considered cute boys...0_o

Ore.Sama

Post by Ore.Sama » Jul 2nd, '07, 04:35

DMPA wrote: I went to Russia over the sammur last year and i wore a beany hat cuz it was kinda cold the whole summer, and my hair was a tottal mess!!! it was sooo crazy i couldn't really bruch it, so when i put on my hat i looked like a skater, and so, we went to this resort to stay for a week and my friend (which is a guy and 3 years younger then me and about a foot shorter then me, and his hair was fairly long, kinda like skater hair, and it was like all flowy and all, kinda like a girl's hair. haha!) and we came to this little market and we were holding hands, just because lol, and we came up to this lady and I was like 'um, excuse me, but do you have *some sort of food* by any chance?' and i was losing my voice that day, and when i lose my voice it sounds like a guy's voice, and the woman was like 'no sorry, we don't have that anymore.' and then out of nowhere she was like 'is that your girlfriend? You don't look like you're from here, better keep her safe' and she said that to me! and i was like 'huh? oh, that's my friend' and she was like 'well, you're a kind young man. make sure you keep her safe though.' and my friend and i looked at each other and were like 'i'm a girl ma'am' and my friend was like 'and i'm a boy' and the woman didn't believe us so she started laughing and called us liars lmao!!!

hahah! well, i didn't mind being mistaken for a boy, i guess i'm look good enough to be both hahahah!
:lol :lol that's so funny!! in this case i wouldn't take it as an insult too... well as some ppl said here it depends on the way they say it... if it's meant to be an insult then it is but if it was an honest mistake and said in a nice way like what happened to DMPA then i would be cool about it... you know?

But for some reason i think that a boy being mistaken for a girl is worse than a girl being mistaken for a boy... well maybe it's just me :roll

JaYbLeS

Post by JaYbLeS » Jul 2nd, '07, 04:44

Yea I'd go with its an insult unless you are trying to look like a guy
Its kinda the same with guys i guess since I would definitely feel insulted if i was called a girl

Tomorrowishes

Post by Tomorrowishes » Jul 22nd, '07, 16:31

I don't know but watching coffee prince (it's been on my mind XD) someone COULD say "you'd make a cute guy" and I don't think that's a bad thing. But maybe the word handsome....well I might be a little offended.

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Jul 22nd, '07, 23:51

I'd say an insult!

monik991

Post by monik991 » Jul 22nd, '07, 23:55

I don't think it's an insult, but it wouldn't really be a really flattering compliment. Most beautiful women have male facial features, like a strong jaw or the high cheekbones. As long as it's <i>cute/handsome</i> boy, not just a boy. haha

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Jul 23rd, '07, 05:53

lol....in my group, we are all too beautiful with all the feminine looks, from our facial features down to the tip of our toes, so that's why we're not insulted to be address as guys, because we all know we're a punch of beautiful ladies :-)....

frigtartsxp

Post by frigtartsxp » Aug 3rd, '07, 18:38

I'll say it's a compliment? you're CUTE! =p

fictionalistic

Post by fictionalistic » Feb 9th, '14, 03:20

I wouldn't really care. I'm already called "shuai" by my relatives. ;D