Any Camera professionals here ??? I'm looking for help

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.
H a n a

Any Camera professionals here ??? I'm looking for help

Post by H a n a » Aug 1st, '09, 23:52

Hello Guys :cheers:
how r yaa???
hope you are all doing great

well,,,I'm going to buy a new camera
and confused between two Cameras that are "

Canon Powershot G10

and

Canon EOS 500D

do you have any idea about those two cameras including other choices
that can help me as I'm intrested in photographing of Celebrations\Portrait\Landscape"Nature",,,,,,,,Etc

Which Camera Would You Prefer?

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Aug 2nd, '09, 00:58

Between those two the choice is easy, get the 500D. I have the Canon G9 and it is my favorite every day camera, but Canon did not do as well with the G10, so personally I would never buy the camera. But what I want to know is what you want to do with the camera? You are spending a lot of money on the body, and you don't seem to be leaving money for the most important thing and that is the lenses. Don't forget that you need money for those as well. To me the most important lens is a fast 50mm prime lbut they are expensive. You could start with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II which is about $100.

If I was going to start off today I would buy a used body and spend more money on the lenses as they are the ones that will have forever, if you take care of them. The body is just like a computer and you will replace it every few years, but once you buy a lens you will use it forever. Case in point, just bought a Olympus E-P1 and bought a used fast 50mm Olympus OM-1 lens for l$50. That lens has been around for decades, probably over 30 years, and is still taking great pictures. So, remember if you buy a DSLR then buy the best lenses you can afford and do not worry as much about the body.

Razor.

Post by Razor. » Aug 2nd, '09, 21:58

Canon EOS 500D .

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Aug 6th, '09, 04:03

I used the cannon rebel, the original one and I think it's time to update it, but it's stiil take great picts,. I like it because it can use black and white too, and can operate manually too than just auto.....both auto and manually are great shots....sorry I can't hepl you on which to decide on, and somebody is right about the lenses, don't forget to get the one for blocking out too much sunlight too, great for shooting at glaring objects in the sunlights during middays.....I use the kodak for digital and they arae greaat shots too, so is sonny digital.... :-)

ika-chan

Post by ika-chan » Aug 6th, '09, 04:33

You really can't compare an SLR (Canon 500D) with a non-SLR (G10).
On paper they probably look the same and you might be thinking about the size etc.

If you have never tried an SLR, I would suggest go with the Canon 500D or any SLR. Even with the kit lens, it will take your photography to a whole new level.

The only downside to an SLR is the size. "The best camera is the camera you have with you". So if you're a girl who wants a camera to take group snapshots once in a while, I would say get a compact camera. But sounds like you're pretty serious about photography - and SLR is the only way to go.

There's a lot to explore with lenses, flash etc.
Hope that helps

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Aug 6th, '09, 05:02

500d Hands down.

I own a 1000d (aka Canon XS / Kiss) which is a lower model than the 500d.

I sugest going with an SLR, as it will bring a whole new world of photography at your fingertips. However the only downside is the expense in the long term. If you plan on increasing yor arsenal (Lenses, filters, flashes etc.) it can get a bit expensive, but worth the while.

I order all my stuff at B&H Photo online - great store. I would like to visit the actual store one day.

However, the Powershots do pack some punch for compact cameras, some even feature very similar SLR camera functions such as ISO and Shutterspeed.

here are my flickr pages:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcardines

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636036@N05/

Taken with this camera and this lens

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II is a great lens to start with and its relatively cheap! (about 100$)

you can take shallow DOF (depth of field) and make background all blurry called "Bokeh" effect (its a Japanese word, wiki it)

Image - taken with the 50mm f/1.8

as you can see you can add more "feeling" into your shots. Something you cant really get as much as you wan't with a compact.

kazuto2000

Post by kazuto2000 » Aug 6th, '09, 15:18

@pn0yb0i

Great Photography, dude! Pics look awesome, specially the drift ones, you sure got the movement of the scene!

Care giving me some advice?
I don't have a clue about photography, but it is a hobby that has definitely grown on me. (Thanks to cars forums :-)) Any ideas on where to start looking for information?
The lenses are very important, that part I got. But there's lots of words I'm not used to, for example, check out the descripition of the lens you're using:
"Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS Digital Cameras"

What the... I don't get the REAL meaning of most caractheristics of the lens and how they relate with the results of photography.

Any advices for a lost amateur who's willing to get to your level in photography? Not sure if I should take photography classes, haven't done enough research if that's the way to go.

Thanks in advance!

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Aug 6th, '09, 23:01

kazuto2000 wrote:@pn0yb0i

Great Photography, dude! Pics look awesome, specially the drift ones, you sure got the movement of the scene!

Care giving me some advice?
I don't have a clue about photography, but it is a hobby that has definitely grown on me. (Thanks to cars forums :-)) Any ideas on where to start looking for information?
The lenses are very important, that part I got. But there's lots of words I'm not used to, for example, check out the descripition of the lens you're using:
"Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS Digital Cameras"

What the... I don't get the REAL meaning of most caractheristics of the lens and how they relate with the results of photography.

Any advices for a lost amateur who's willing to get to your level in photography? Not sure if I should take photography classes, haven't done enough research if that's the way to go.

Thanks in advance!
the first thing I did when I got my SLR was that I went to the library and read up on things. Sure the internet is convenient, but since photography has been around for a whie - I thought that books were much easier to deal with.

Oh yeah, I NEVER took any classes - all was taught by myself and I read up on things on the internet and read some Photog magazines. I was pretty much at the same level as you are now when I first started. Even now - I don't think I'm really good at it myself.

All the pics you see were only the "BEST" ones I picked out of several thousands :roll

Give it a shot and head down there.

As for the lens breakdown, ill try my best to explain:

Tamron - Brand
Zoom - Meaning it has more than one focal length
Super Wide Angle - Has a very small focal length
SP AF - Brand characteristics of the lens (not really important)
17-50mm - Focal range
f/2.8 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number (important)
XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Autofocus - Brand characteristics, not important
Lens for Canon EOS Digital Cameras - Same lens is made for other cam models.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Aug 6th, '09, 23:40

Easy choice: 500D. :thumright:

kazuto2000

Post by kazuto2000 » Aug 7th, '09, 00:40

pn0yb0i wrote:
the first thing I did when I got my SLR was that I went to the library and read up on things. Sure the internet is convenient, but since photography has been around for a whie - I thought that books were much easier to deal with.

Oh yeah, I NEVER took any classes - all was taught by myself and I read up on things on the internet and read some Photog magazines. I was pretty much at the same level as you are now when I first started. Even now - I don't think I'm really good at it myself.

All the pics you see were only the "BEST" ones I picked out of several thousands :roll

Give it a shot and head down there.

As for the lens breakdown, ill try my best to explain:

Tamron - Brand
Zoom - Meaning it has more than one focal length
Super Wide Angle - Has a very small focal length
SP AF - Brand characteristics of the lens (not really important)
17-50mm - Focal range
f/2.8 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number (important)
XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Autofocus - Brand characteristics, not important
Lens for Canon EOS Digital Cameras - Same lens is made for other cam models.
@ H a n a
My apologies for disturbing your thread.
Between those two cameras you highlighted, I also think you should stick with the EOS 500D, unless camera mobility is a top priority.
About other choices, I can't name any, as I'm trying to find the right camera gear, also. :D

@pn0yb0i

I did some very superficial research on the web, but could find mostly tips or mini-guides for specific kinds of photography techniques, such as "How to take a racing car picture" or "How to take a photograph with blurry background". Not really what I need.
I'll stick with the books, then. I probably won't do classes either, as there seems to be some easy-to-read, step-by-step, complete books on photography out there (God save the books). Thanks for the advice.

As for starting books (if anyone who reads this is interested) I browsed amazon and found these two:

The Betterphoto Guide to Digital Photography, by Jim Miotke
or The Digital Photography Book, by Scott Kelby

Perhaps I'll start with those, they both have good ratings and comments on Amazon, so they should be useful. I'll do some more research on books, though.
Thanks for helping me take my first step in photography, kinda hard to know where to start, sometimes. Got lost in auto-mode researching on the web, I guess. :D

Also, I appreciate your explanation on your lens specification, but I'll learn the very basics first haha :) I could ask you a lot of questions now, but I don't wanna rush the info, as I lack the fundamental stuff.

Thanks!

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Aug 7th, '09, 01:22

mimmi wrote: I like it because it can use black and white too)
Having the camera shoot in B/W is a bad idea, because you are losing a lot of information in the photo, and doing this in Photoshop is so easy, and you have far more control in getting the look you want.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutoria ... white.html

If you look at some of the examples you can see that you can control exactly how black and white a picture should be, or you could decide that you want a sepia photo instead. So, it is far better to shoot in RAW, if you have that ability and learn how to do photo adjustment in post-processing

H a n a

Post by H a n a » Aug 11th, '09, 23:58

Thanks guys
I really really appreciate your support
I'm not Confused anymore now that you helped me :-) :-)
I will hopefully get the EOS 500D :-) :-)

H a n a

Canon SLR CAMERS Charging

Post by H a n a » Aug 16th, '09, 02:07

Do I have to charge the battery before use? if so.... How long Canon Eos T1i\500 D :scratch:

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Aug 16th, '09, 03:34

It's more about which way do you like- a simplier "point-and-shoot" and not having to deal with many technical stuffs, and if you're going to invest more in hardware upgrades later on (such as lenses&flashes) or the other way around? It's all comes down to your personal liking and what're you intend to use it for.

pn0yb0i

Re: Canon SLR CAMERS Charging

Post by pn0yb0i » Aug 16th, '09, 06:39

H a n a wrote:Do I have to charge the battery before use? if so.... How long Canon Eos T1i\500 D :scratch:
You really dont have to. Youre going to charge it anyway right?

Enjoy your new camera ^_^

nankasento

Other brands...

Post by nankasento » Aug 20th, '09, 14:00

Hi,

I'd like to suggest another brand, Nikon, I can't recall which one from Nikon but I'm sure you can find the right one if you look at the Canon specs and find the Nikon version for it, I do know it looks more square than the Canon EOS 500D.
I know a couple of photographers that for some occasions they rather bring their Nikon along then their Canon, so again it depends what you want to do with the camera.

And like someone else said, it's just the body, what they always bring along is a whole set of lenses and if there is one lens you should have in your collection it's a Carl Zeiss lens, yes they are expensive but they are topnotch quality.

I also know that Zeiss made their own camera, I haven't seen it, as in I haven't seen anyone work with it but it's Zeiss so it can't be that bad, you could also look into that one.

I haven't done any photography for a long time and it was all analog, at that time the digital camera's weren't that good and my skills extended more in the development process, playing around in the darkroom developing the photographs is what I really enjoyed from photography.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Aug 20th, '09, 14:38

Here are some digital camera review sites to check out:

Digital Photography Review: http://dpreview.com/

The Imaging Resource: http://www.imaging-resource.com/