[Discussion] Mitsu no Aji ~ A Taste of Honey~ (Kanno Miho)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 9th, '11, 22:54

^
Awww you could've said the ending >______> Sorry I just loooooove spoilers lol. Well I know the subs will be up soooon so yaay I can't wait to see & discuss

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Dec 9th, '11, 22:56

@Minah

I think it will be better to just watch the episode :P

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 11th, '11, 03:54

...Wow. lol. Well I do know that my feelings for Junpei has changed... I DISLIKE HIM EVEN MORE!!!!!! lol (but seriously I reeeeally don't like him ^^; )
The moment he put his hands on her the first time I just knew that... yeah....... possessive... and now he's just as psycho as Aya but has to abuse his powers as a doctor for it. At least for Aya, I give her my respects that despite ALL of this... she kept to her word: a doctor first. But people need to stop bringing their dirty laundry to work because it's so immature, and so tacky. (esp Rai... I was EXTREMELY pissed when she poured that paint on that dude... like really? You just wasted ALL of that paint.. embarrassed him in front of people but then whine because he said he chose his wife over you. Well heck you I would do the same as him. Obviously she has no respect for him if she resorted in doing something so humiliating. It's like she grew more immature... as well as Junpei.

And now Masato admits he likes her. Hm I dunno I gotta say I wasn't crazy with it only because I don't feel the admiration coming from him to her I guess... but for Naoko to say before the confrontation that Masato now seems to be different than the Masato 8 years ago.. makes me wonder if she will start to not really like him as much. Just the fact she said it (they don't make people just say anything if there's not meaning behind it later) so I'm thinking that yeah, she still loves him, but might slowly fall out of intimate-love with him. But I wonder now how the next episode will be. Eikura and her incestuous ways lol.

But yeah as for Junpei.... well good thing this happened because she can now not be with him. Will she file a report about him almost raping her and put a restraining order against him? Most likely not (they never wanna do this in dramas -____- ) But yeah. I'm not even gonna get into how I feel about him even more ^^;;

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » Dec 11th, '11, 04:40

I thought it was the best episode. The intensity towards the end hasn't been matched so far (well maybe two episodes ago).
And the fact she said she didn't like him as she was 8 years ago just adds more complexity to this whole mess, I really can't wait to watch the next episode.

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Dec 11th, '11, 10:55

Thoughts on Yasushi (I finally looked up what the name of Junpei's character is!!)
I wonder if he's always been like this or if he's suddenly snapped. I mean Naoko has been with him for a long, long time so you'd think she'd have noticed by now if there was anything off about him. Plus the fact that the people he work with said he'd started acting strangely lately, implying that previously he'd been a pretty normal guy.

It's difficult to judge because we don't know anything about him. We just know he fancied Naoko when they first started medical school and then suddenly they're talking about getting married. I want more details!

Also from the preview from the next episode it looks like Naoko does still have feelings for Masato after all. Make up your mind Naoko!
Last edited by emma-ba on Dec 11th, '11, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 11th, '11, 11:28

^
Bearing I'm mind I still have not seen ep9 but what I read from spoilers
that's what actually was talking about in my last post regarding Norisugi. Through out last 7 eps he was very mature and normal gentle guy and just suddenly snapped like this and start behaving like a psycho. In my opinion, his character is written poorly. At first he is hradly noticeable and now?
In fact, all of Naoko's friends are written poorly. I just get too annoyed following their stories.
Will come back with more thoughts once I see ep9

Zazaza29

Post by Zazaza29 » Dec 11th, '11, 13:51

Hmmm... I could see that there was something off with Norisugi from the start, so him turning psycho is not that of a surprise to me. From the first episode he was persistant in being friends with Naoko, even though she treated him coldly. I think I remember Norisugi mentioning that in the 8 years they've known each other, he only got together with her in the last 3 years. So I was assuming that he tried to woo her for 5 freaking years.... which is a bit obsessive honestly.

After all, after trying to get the girl after so long, and then losing her so easily within a few days (to her uncle of all people), probably made him snap altogether.

But I have to agree, maybe the timeskip was too large of a gap to actually follow his character development.

About Ikezawa/Naoko, I dunno... I'm not feeling the chemistry here. I know there's supposed to be some sort of 'forbidden' guilty pleasure involved so that's why they have to restraint themselves when together, but Nana's done a more controversial incest role before and I actually bought the pairing. (Yeah, I know that Boku Imouto focused more on lust while Mitsu no Aji was more about communication/equality of the partners.... but still....)

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 11th, '11, 21:25

@Issy
That's one thing I hate a lot in many dramas; side characters are usually poorly written. Even though they're not that important but still, if they have some relevance or try to make them important, then they should be thorough. Even without know too much of Aya's past she's better-written since they spend so much time on her compared to Junpei and fleshed her out a bit more. Sometimes writers can be very messy with trying to keep up with all characters (like Hanawake) but I dunno... some can do it, some not but it's no surprise that side characters are kinda blahy-er than the main characters ^^; (Naoko doesn't really interests me too much... I think the present Naoko more so than 2003 but still)
@Zazazaza29
Yeah I don't exactly feel it either. Back in 2003 it seemed more one-sided but now it's like.... I dunno seems flat. I don't expect some passionate romance novel (well you would think by the promo pic & opening/closing theme) but I never really felt their feelings. To me Masato just still seem like a guy who is willing to look after her just because she's family. I can see my uncle going far out for us (even if he is a drunk ^^; ) but I dunno I don't really feel his feelings from this... Nor do I really feel Naoko's. In 03 she was like a high school girl who admired him from afar like in some typical shoujo story (I actually don't like those ^^; ) but now she still has those lingering-ness but knows how to act mature and not let it ooze out as much because she's a doctor now. But I don't really feel any chemistry from any one honestly lol. I think the only character I like from here is Masato.
Oh yeah! Shiro Sana responded to my tweet a few days ago! ;____;!!!!! I was sooo psyched! (he plays Kirishima)

My tweet:
Hello! I am from the US. I enjoyed you in 正義の味方 very much!!! I am currently watching 蜜の味 too.

"Thank you so much.and I'd like to ur continuing support!"
Omg I was surprised he would respond! ^^

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 12th, '11, 03:47

I don't see any chemistry between the uncle and niece too... in fact, I don't see any signs that he ever loved Aya NOR Naoko XD I wonder if that's the script's fault or the actors' fault?

None of the characters in this drama is favourable for me. But I can say I hate Lai-lai the most. Despite that, it's so strange that I'm still watching this drama, hehe... probably I haven't watch a melodrama / soap opera in a long time :P

The ending of Ep9 kinda made me laugh since it was quite soap opera-ish, imho :P ARATA's acting was quite bad there -_- (Junpei was better than him)

Abt the uncle and niece:
I'm wondering why are they talking to each other using keigo (polite language), even when it's only the two of them and there's no one else? Naoko called him sensei and not Masa-niichan anymore. It should've prove that their relationship has really changed after 8 years, but then... Masato confessed his feelings for Naoko at the end of Ep9... it came so out of the blue, that it's not believable.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 12th, '11, 03:57

^
Yeah usually something like this I would drop but there's something about it that makes me still wanna watch (I guess to see what happens despite it not really being my favorite)

I agree
It really was kinda out there with no real.... signs (minus the kiss but that doesn't mean you love someone) that even showed he liked him. That thing back when she was in high-school... just looked more one-sided on her part. In the first eppy it seem like Masato liked Aya a lot but yeah that went downhill when he saw her character...

I think the reason why they're so polite is because now they're more 'professional.' I see it that in this aspect, Naoko has grown up. She can't keep being all neice-y Masa-niichan with him and I guess even being alone. When you don't see someone in so long esp with the last memory being making out with that person which probably could've lead to sex.... The safest, most comfortable way to act is polite I suppose ^^; I guess Aya's words still stuck on her with calling him Ikezawa-sensei at school. But I think the politeness proves more of their awkwardness around each other.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 12th, '11, 04:05

«minah» wrote:
When you don't see someone in so long esp with the last memory being making out with that person which probably could've lead to sex.... The safest, most comfortable way to act is polite I suppose ^^;
That's true... Then, I guess it must be either the direction's fault or the acting's, that I don't see their chemistry at all XD

Zazaza29

Post by Zazaza29 » Dec 12th, '11, 11:41

@minah:
I dunno... I don't like Ikezawa at all, maybe I feel he's too boring for me. He not too nice, but he's not bad either. All the extreme bipolar characters around him, and he's the only one acting normal here -- so he tends to fade into the background in contrast with the more interesting (and insane) characters.

Everyone in this series are hypocrites, I noticed. Rai Rai, Naoko, Aya... is it something that's deliberately intended by the scriptwriter?

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Dec 12th, '11, 11:48

yanie wrote:Abt the uncle and niece:
I'm wondering why are they talking to each other using keigo (polite language), even when it's only the two of them and there's no one else? Naoko called him sensei and not Masa-niichan anymore. It should've prove that their relationship has really changed after 8 years, but then... Masato confessed his feelings for Naoko at the end of Ep9... it came so out of the blue, that it's not believable.
I guess is it's because she's grown up and they're not supposed to be fancying each other anymore. Plus she hasn't seen him for 8 years and he's now an experienced surgeon and so their relationship is now more based on their positions within the hospital.

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Dec 12th, '11, 11:50

Zazaza29 wrote:@minah:
I dunno... I don't like Ikezawa at all, maybe I feel he's too boring for me. He not too nice, but he's not bad either. All the extreme bipolar characters around him, and he's the only one acting normal here -- so he tends to fade into the background in contrast with the more interesting (and insane) characters.

Everyone in this series are hypocrites, I noticed. Rai Rai, Naoko, Aya... is it something that's deliberately intended by the scriptwriter?
Maybe the scripwriter's message is to with how emotions can go against logic? You know that X is correct but you can't ignore your feelings and you end up doing Y.

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 12th, '11, 13:40

reading all of your post
I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has lost my interest in almost every character in this drama and I really don't care what happens to them. I still keep watching to the end to see how the story going to rap up though. some how I can't see/feel any chemistry between all characters and every pairing seems odd and not real.

Zazaza29

Post by Zazaza29 » Dec 12th, '11, 13:51

emma-ba wrote: Maybe the scripwriter's message is to with how emotions can go against logic? You know that X is correct but you can't ignore your feelings and you end up doing Y.
"Once you get a taste of honey, you can't go back?" or something like that. Lol. Possible.
Issy wrote:I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has lost my interest in almost every character in this drama and I really don't care what happens to them. I still keep watching to the end to see how the story going to rap up though. some how I can't see/feel any chemistry between all characters and every pairing seems odd and not real.
I'm still partial to Norisugi (mostly because of Junpei actually) and I like Aya, so I'm also following the series to the end. I'm expecting a twist at the end, though. There OUGHT to be, after all this roller-coaster ride they put us through.

Aya/Ikezawa had more chemistry at the beginning than Ikezawa/Naoko ever had in 9 episodes.... just saying =/

emma-ba

Post by emma-ba » Dec 12th, '11, 16:09

Zazaza29 wrote:
I'm still partial to Norisugi (mostly because of Junpei actually) and I like Aya, so I'm also following the series to the end. I'm expecting a twist at the end, though. There OUGHT to be, after all this roller-coaster ride they put us through.

Aya/Ikezawa had more chemistry at the beginning than Ikezawa/Naoko ever had in 9 episodes.... just saying =/
Norisugi and Aya are definitely more interesting than Naoko and Masato. I look forward to some devious Aya when the parents come to visit in the next episode :D

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 13th, '11, 01:14

just finished ep9 and to my surprise, I thought it was very good. the whole ep was very tense and it kept you on your toes till last minute.
I just have to shake my head in disappointment about how these interns turned out to be. it's like whole 8 years were not enough for them to grow up and mature into normal adults. they act like children. except for Naoko who seems has matured to some extent. where shall I start with? Hosegawa and rai with their on and off tantrums, norisugi who is not only a mad stalker but also a rapist/criminal (and I thought he was the wisest one of all).even Takinohara's son who knows very well of what actually happened and it was all for sake of his dad, showing his jealous side...I just don't know who made this bunch of idiots Dr's and have put people's lives in their hands. this is very unrealistic for me. I know that they are human too and are not perfect, but coming from close/similar professional back ground I know this is just written for entertainment reasons and very dramatic. I am seriously disliking the whole group.
Aya's characters is the most interesting one till now. she is still a mysterious character that we find out something new about her in each ep. she is the only one having a 4D character while everyone is flat one dimensional. even norisugi and his recent lunatic behaviour. his character is already figured out more or less.
I am not going into whole Aya/Masato/Naoko relationship because it is still the same. I just want to know what will happen now that Naoko's parents have found out.

and is it me only or anyone else found ARATA in ep9 just too attractive. :mrgreen: seriously? what has changed in matter of 2 eps. he is way too handsome than ep8.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 13th, '11, 02:27

^
His suit... Even though I'm someone not really picky about men & attires but I have a huuuuge fondness of men in nice, fancy suits (esp topped with a fedora having that whole 1920's US look/gangster look... kinda like Michael Jackson in SMooth Criminial *swoons*) But that suit really brings out his attractiveness... he didn't look that hot in Hi wa Mata Noboru lol

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 13th, '11, 15:30

^ his suit? ummm, I don't know. he was wearing his white lab coat most of times. but no, It's something to do with his hair. not that I have problem with men in suits because I also find them very hot and attractive. the waist coat does the same for me too.
:P

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 13th, '11, 15:42

Under his white lab jacket lol. He never use to wear like fancy-looking attire before. Since now his usual attire is that mature-look he doesn't wear a basic shirt under his white lab jacket but that fancy-looking tie thingy & even when he goes out his outerjacket is very mature-like. His hair looks better when it's gelled back (that front bang thingy looks weird ;_;) But I think no matter what his pierced-face, bleached-eyebrows & bouzu head will always be my favorite #;_;#

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Dec 15th, '11, 19:48

Issy wrote:just finished ep9 and to my surprise, I thought it was very good. the whole ep was very tense and it kept you on your toes till last minute.
I just have to shake my head in disappointment about how these interns turned out to be. it's like whole 8 years were not enough for them to grow up and mature into normal adults. they act like children. except for Naoko who seems has matured to some extent. where shall I start with? Hosegawa and rai with their on and off tantrums, norisugi who is not only a mad stalker but also a rapist/criminal (and I thought he was the wisest one of all).even Takinohara's son who knows very well of what actually happened and it was all for sake of his dad, showing his jealous side...I just don't know who made this bunch of idiots Dr's and have put people's lives in their hands. this is very unrealistic for me. I know that they are human too and are not perfect, but coming from close/similar professional back ground I know this is just written for entertainment reasons and very dramatic. I am seriously disliking the whole group.
Aya's characters is the most interesting one till now. she is still a mysterious character that we find out something new about her in each ep. she is the only one having a 4D character while everyone is flat one dimensional. even norisugi and his recent lunatic behaviour. his character is already figured out more or less.
I am not going into whole Aya/Masato/Naoko relationship because it is still the same. I just want to know what will happen now that Naoko's parents have found out.

and is it me only or anyone else found ARATA in ep9 just too attractive. :mrgreen: seriously? what has changed in matter of 2 eps. he is way too handsome than ep8.
I really don't know what to say...or whether to love or hate this drama ;)
I'm annoyed at the whole Norisugi arc, I don't like the actor and the character is just too cliche 'bf turns into violent stalker' equally bored by Lailai and the whole bunch of assistants...
On the other hand Aya also still has me interested in her character and I wish they'd focus more on her. Also Naoko/Masato do lack chemistry for me. I know they tried to keep it down until his confession and tried to act mature etc but yeah I didn't get the feel that they've totally fallen for each other and are ready to give up everything for the sake of just being together. Also agree that Arata's act at the end of the last ep was weak. Surprised me even more since he usually has a strong presence and impact in other roles.
I do like the production, camera, music of the drama a lot. There are a lot of cuts and camera positions that surprise me at first and make me admire the staff in the next second.
Finally yeah I can't stop watching it now, just gotta find out how it'll end

About Naoko's style. Yeah I dig his new clothes and bearance...apart from that hideous pink pullover ;) LOL and no Arata's not the hebinipierce guy for me...hardly recognized him when I first watched that movie and even after I did I couldn't believe it was really him. Though his performance there was really on the spot....I always found myself surprisingly attracted to him even though he's neither handsome nor kakkoi. Must be his strong presence on screen ;)

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 15th, '11, 20:10

arakira wrote:
About Naoko's style. Yeah I dig his new clothes and bearance...apart from that hideous pink pullover ;) LOL and no Arata's not the hebinipierce guy for me...hardly recognized him when I first watched that movie and even after I did I couldn't believe it was really him. Though his performance there was really on the spot....I always found myself surprisingly attracted to him even though he's neither handsome nor kakkoi. Must be his strong presence on screen ;)
I think I have a thing for piercings lol (I already think Kengo's hot but in that movie I was like OMG) But yes! He has a strong presence.. that's what it is. I saw piccys of him when he was younger... he was pretty cute ^^

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 16th, '11, 01:29

Episode 10
Finally... THE incest scene... :crazy: Hmm... not sure how I feel abt uncle and niece having s*x...
But anyway, is it odd that since I dislike both Naoko and Masato's characters, so I'm rooting for them? :lol
I'm really curious in how the story will wrap up. Usually incest stories like this, would have one of the leads tragically dies or something...

Carsuke

Post by Carsuke » Dec 16th, '11, 02:28

They're not biologically related so Iguess that's rather ok ...

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 16th, '11, 03:29

Carsuke wrote:
They're not biologically related so Iguess that's rather ok ...
According to the official site, Naoko's father and Masato are half brothers, same birth father with different mother. But as someone mentioned before in this thread, that's just like first cousins. Oh well... many cousins got married in the Sengoku era, anyway, so I guess it shouldn't be a big problem :mrgreen:

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 16th, '11, 04:03

:scratch:
How does it make them like first cousins? They share the same father. They are an uncle and niece in every way you look at it. So it's a taboo. Cousins do get married in some cultures and it's in no way taboo or incest.
And ewww
I knew it was going this way. But I stopped rooting for Naoko and Masato from eps ago so I too dislike this turns of events even though I don't particularly dislike both of them.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 16th, '11, 04:24

Issy wrote::scratch:
How does it make them like first cousins? They share the same father. They are an uncle and niece in every way you look at it. So it's a taboo. Cousins do get married in some cultures and it's in no way taboo or incest.
Well blood-wise Naoko & Masato have less blood relation than first cousins would... first cousins have their grandparents in common most of the time while Masato is only her half uncle... they just have the grandfather in common (first full-blood relative.) I'm in a kinda similar situation.. both my nieces are like... my half nieces or something since my brother's my half brother.

Zazaza29

Post by Zazaza29 » Dec 17th, '11, 14:31

Watched episode 9... the rape scene...

Japanese media were making a little fuss about Nana's bra showing during that scene, but I thought that it was pretty tame =/

I seriously have no idea how will they solve everything, besides the NaokoxMasato pairing (that's a given, of course). I wonder how will Norisugi redeem himself, and how/when will Aya finally give up on Masato.

Waiting for episode 10 subs now~

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 17th, '11, 15:27

well first cousins are not totally blood related too. considering their parents if you want to see it this way. and their grand parents are different (considering paternal and maternal ones). it's definitely not like Masato and Naoko's father who do come from one father. they are not step brothers but real brothers from different mothers.

as for norisugi
somehow I can't see a nice ending for him for some reasons. what he has done is not something to be forgiven easily. changing patient's medication and attempting rape. not to forget selling story to magazines. so many wrongs done to justify his pain. he should pay for it

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 17th, '11, 22:19

Issy wrote:
well first cousins are not totally blood related too. considering their parents if you want to see it this way. and their grand parents are different (considering paternal and maternal ones). it's definitely not like Masato and Naoko's father who do come from one father. they are not step brothers but real brothers from different mothers.

as for norisugi
somehow I can't see a nice ending for him for some reasons. what he has done is not something to be forgiven easily. changing patient's medication and attempting rape. not to forget selling story to magazines. so many wrongs done to justify his pain. he should pay for it
Well I was just trying to say that even between Masato & Naoko, they have less blood relation than first cousins would even though first cousins can marry in Japan (because he's in technical terms I guess you'll say, partially her uncle because he and her dad are only half brothers... i never mentioned step-brothers) Like my sis in law's brothers have more blood relations to my nieces than I do with them because unlike my sis in law's brothers, I'm my brother's half-sister so... my nieces are like my partial niece compared to the brothers. So if the law was banning uncle/niece relation because of how much ancestry (is that the right word?) they have in common compared to first-cousins (which is less) in order to conceive with the child having low chances of a disability then half-uncles/niece should have a lower chance than first cousins.

I think maybe in their society it's more taboo because it's against the law for uncles/niece to marry but not first cousins. So I can see them getting more hate for it even though in technical terms the brothers are just half. If they weren't born as niece/uncle and still had that same ancestry/blood relation it wouldn't be a problem. But just the idea is what makes it oh so bad but.. I guess from my viewpoint of it, if first cousins are ok to marry then these two under such circumstances should be ok but yeah... they're not. (even though they make a blah boring non-chemical couple lol)

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 18th, '11, 00:08

«minah» wrote: I guess from my viewpoint of it, if first cousins are ok to marry then these two under such circumstances should be ok but yeah... they're not. (even though they make a blah boring non-chemical couple lol)
yep. that what I was getting at too. and lol about "boring non-chemical" term. I seriously want to see how they end this story. but honestly, I can't separate Ikura and incest in my mind anymore. :mrgreen:

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 18th, '11, 23:13

You know what, I think I know why I can't stand this couple

Masato only liked her because she confessed to him that she did. If she never said anything, he would've never looked at her in any way other than his niece. I think the fact that she liked him only just made him kinda get interested and see her in a different way.... and still, I don't ever see 'love' just infatuation.... some girl liking her uncle ever since she was young.. some dude liking his niece only because she said something. There's nothing convincing in this. That's what's so non-chemical about them lol! There is no chemistry! I rather see Aya and Norisugi as a couple than them..... Not so happy with the previews
Outta nowhere Aya has something wrong with her that's not pregnancy (would've been interesting if she got knocked up by Norisgui) but I guess it's some frickin brain cancer....? I hope not... I hate when characters get diagnosed with something outta nowhere

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 20th, '11, 00:12

«minah» wrote: There is no chemistry! I rather see Aya and Norisugi as a couple than them..... Not so happy with the previews
Outta nowhere Aya has something wrong with her that's not pregnancy (would've been interesting if she got knocked up by Norisgui) but I guess it's some frickin brain cancer....? I hope not... I hate when characters get diagnosed with something outta nowhere
there is no chemistry between Aya and Norisugi either. but I am just imaging what will happen if you try to pair up these two insane/psycho characters.
and I was totally tricked by Aya's act of forgiveness. I even felt sorry for her. little I knew that it was all acting. and there is definitely something wrong with Aya and by look of it, it's brain tumour .
I got to stage where I just need to know what happens eventually. but from ep 10, couldn't Naoko's father hit Masato some more and on other side of his face too so he will be evenly bruised? he kind of looked weird with only half a face swollen and bloody.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 20th, '11, 01:51

^
Yeah there really isn't but they would be more interesting to watch than Naoko/Masato (at least some psychoness to relate to... )
At first I was too but then I remembered her "last gamble." She wouldn't let them go that easily... all that fighting going to waste when she meets his family like that. But ugh... I wish her brain-tumor could've been more hinted throughout the series. I would say maybe that's what's making act the way she do but.. eh.... would seem a bit lousy reasoning to me I suppose.

Lol I wasn't even paying attention to the imbalanced of his bruised face ^^; But yeah.. I just wanna see how this ends now. Previous episode was waaay better... now it just seems like an unbelievable story ^^;

Hamlet

Post by Hamlet » Dec 20th, '11, 08:55

ha ha, I lol'ed at the comments...though this drama isn't my fav this season, I can't help but being drawn to it, their love is so unrealistic and they do lack chemistry sometimes (except when they kiss, ARATA is bringing the sexiness in there imo) but there's definitely something that attracts me, something that prevents me to drop it, I can't exactly nail down the reason ...At first, I started watching this mainly for Junpei, I ended up rooting and falling for ARATA (Am I the only one to think that this guy is smex? :mrgreen: ,his wife is sure lucky :whistling: )

Concerning Aya, I don't pity her, she can only blame herself here , trying to separate and scheming against those two due to her unfounded insecurities (in the beginning, it was only Naoko's one-sided crush for his uncle after all, nothing to worry about) , thanks to her schemes, they've grown closer and closer to each other, it's karma I tell you... scenarists are pushing things way too far though...
a brain tumor, come onnnnnnnn, they could have come up with something better , no???? :scratch: , it's so cliché.
As for Norisugi, even though I love Junpei, his character is awfully flat and despicable...I do understand that Naoko's betrayal hurt him like hell but hey there's no need to become this desperate, the girl doesn't love you (the truth is he was the only one treasuring their relationship all along), get a grip man and grow some balls, just walk away (he should have done it way before anyway but yeah we wouldn't have all this drama otherwise ). Poor him, he just looks like a loser, so pitiful...resorting to these kinds of means is sly and unforgivable. He has reached the point of no return for me, he needs to pay. *I still love you Junpei nonetheless*

Naoko and Masato's relationship doesn't bother me that much, I'm into forbidden love in fiction after all and I was pleasantly surprised by the ending of episode 10 :mrgreen:
I tend to complain that J-drama lack passion compared to K-drama or T-drama but this scene made me change my mind...finally a passionate kiss, a real one with lips moving and the kisses on the nape of the neck, this scene just killed me...
we need ARATA in more dramas <3

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 20th, '11, 09:39

I am one of those people who did not know about ARATA before this drama and at first I thought he is not charming or handsome enough. But he grew on me with each ep and now I find him quiet easy on the eye and handsome but, he needs to dress up elegantly. :mrgreen:

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 20th, '11, 15:03

Norisugi was too hurt (in my opinion) with it and then all the stuff that followed was yeah.... Like I know everyone takes things differently (one ting may not bother someone as much as it may bother another) but I mean... it was definitely something that could've been talked out and worked through (because his reason for 'revenge' is to deliberately hurt her.... yeah Naoko didn't deliberately hurt him... that's the difference between what they did) But yeah they really effed up his character.

I wish they do go a bit deeper in Aya's character (she reminds me of Yukie's character a bit from Utsukushi Rinjin. I question "well why is she acting like this? Why is she like this?") but I dunno since she is a main character they can go a bit more in her past.

For the kissing scene, well this drama isn't for younger people/teens so of course the kissing is realistic lol. I remember Love Shuffle when Shousukle kissed that one older lady.. their character in that was amazing and very realistic. But I have to say though with Masato/Naoko scene... well it would fit more if ti showed more that they really loved each other... and not just physically wanted each other ^^;;

For me, I'm not into plots like these (people get too desperate for one person.... ugh) but they went about this a bit different than I expected just that now I wanan see what happens and how it'll end.

@Issy yeah because I watched him in other things... he just need to be styled just right. He was cute in Kimi ni Todoke ^^

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 24th, '11, 14:31

Finale episode, wow :blink
I didn't expect the writer would let the uncle and niece to live together happily ever after as a couple. Well, not exactly happily, I guess, they strive hard to be doctors in the war zone at Middle East together, but still... her mother had a brain tumor, and despite the fact Aya told them to trust Naoko's mother in her hands, they left immediately, without knowing the surgery and treatment's results, and yet they went all, "What's with curry and me?? ahaha...", "I love you, Naoko... hahaha", "What's that?? ahaha... ahaha!" :blink

I just hope the writer wasn't implying a message like "Treasure your taboo love and romance more than your parents" :unsure:
Anyways, as Kanno's fan, I enjoyed her acting performance here very much! (though, not so much the story and some other cast)
Looking forward to her next work! :roll

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 24th, '11, 21:28

^
LOL!!!! Now I dunno if I'm gonna enjoy this. Well did the finale feel like it kinda killed the series a bit or just.... wasn't as great as it could've been?
So Naoko's mom has the tumor... ugh that's just as bad... just randomly she has a tumor without any kinda foreshadowing... I don't like it when dramas do that >_>

But I guess there they don't have to worry about people bashing them on their taboo love. But really though, what was the point of making Masato only the half-brother? Because now I think the reason was to make the couple a bit.... not so taboo-ish (like I mentioned before their blood relation connection is rather slim/thin or whatever) "Well.. it's not as bad since he's only the half-brother..." Because, what was the purpose of even mentioning it at all...? Oh well but hm...
Yeah I love Kanno but the characters were all pretty much unlikeable (Masato grew on me a bit more but just seeing his so-called 'love' was just....... unchemically balanced and made me go eh......) but I do look forward to both Kanno & ARATA's next work ^^ Seems like ARATA is in more dramas lately. Nana... she can just... do whatever ^^;; she's kinda like Aibu to me; playing roles that I usually don't like and kinda get annoying (but Aibu in Rebound.. she won me a bit in my book ^^)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 24th, '11, 22:33

«minah» wrote:Well did the finale feel like it kinda killed the series a bit or just.... wasn't as great as it could've been?
Tbh, I never like this series since the beginning (starting around Ep2 or 3), its a lame story for me, its just not my taste. The only reasons I keep watching is for Miho, Junpei and I just want to know how the uncle and niece would end :P
The final episode didn't change my opinion, this is still a lame drama, lol. Something like a melodrama or a soap opera, for me^^ Probably I just haven't seen one of those in a long time, so I could stand watching this :mrgreen:

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 26th, '11, 18:03

yanie wrote:Finale episode, wow :blink
I didn't expect the writer would let the uncle and niece to live together happily ever after as a couple. Well, not exactly happily, I guess, they strive hard to be doctors in the war zone at Middle East together, but still... her mother had a brain tumor, and despite the fact Aya told them to trust Naoko's mother in her hands, they left immediately, without knowing the surgery and treatment's results, and yet they went all, "What's with curry and me?? ahaha...", "I love you, Naoko... hahaha", "What's that?? ahaha... ahaha!" :blink

I just hope the writer wasn't implying a message like "Treasure your taboo love and romance more than your parents" :unsure:
Anyways, as Kanno's fan, I enjoyed her acting performance here very much! (though, not so much the story and some other cast)
Looking forward to her next work! :roll
I really don't think that was the final message. even though it looks like it. I watched the last ep with no expectation after losing my interest mid way when norisugi turned psycho.
anyway, if you think about it. Aya was the final winner and she she summed up the message perfectly.
she said:" The ones who can control their feeling in rational way are the final winners" and "You can't be winners when you have broken some many hearts to get there"this is so true and that is what I think what this drama wanted to say. that's what exactly Naoko's mom did and stayed with her family. it's like saying "if you really don't care about morality...and think of yourself (yes Love can be selfish and blind sometimes), atleast think of people you love and live with."
Yes, I am old fashioned in thinking Love is not everything in your life. and there are far more important stuff before that.
of course they ended up together because 1-they made up their mind (which still does not say they are right ), 2- had no other choice to carry on living like that.
I don't really like incest stories and I don't see the point of it. I like odd/uncommon love interest but taboo stuff do not excite me in anyway. I wanted for Naoko and Masato to end up together for some weird reasons but I was hoping that Masato will turn out to be nothing blood related to Naoko and also because Aya was so scary and mental in her relationship. but as I said lost my interest in Naoko and Masato soon after.
I think I know why they made Masato the half brother as it will make the story much more taboo...

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Dec 27th, '11, 22:58

Hamlet wrote:we need ARATA in more dramas <3
sorry but i strongly disagree. It's a waste. He should go back to movies and chose carefully. I'm getting tired of watching bland dramas for him...at least a movie is over after 1,5h
The last two eps were just constantly downhill...apart maybe from kanno's act and aya's wise desicion to let go...but meh i totally regret watching this drama. There's not only lack of chemistry watching N&M rather feels like a persiflage of a couple...all the developments of the last eps were just so random I was wondering if the writer maybe ran away and some assistant just pulled off a story 5 min before filming the ep... :cussing: :alcoholic:

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 27th, '11, 23:14

arakira wrote:
Hamlet wrote:we need ARATA in more dramas <3
sorry but i strongly disagree. It's a waste. He should go back to movies and chose carefully. I'm getting tired of watching bland dramas for him...at least a movie is over after 1,5h
The last two eps were just constantly downhill...apart maybe from kanno's act and aya's wise desicion to let go...but meh i totally regret watching this drama. There's not only lack of chemistry watching N&M rather feels like a persiflage of a couple...all the developments of the last eps were just so random I was wondering if the writer maybe ran away and some assistant just pulled off a story 5 min before filming the ep... :cussing: :alcoholic:
more or less of same feelings Ara-chan.

as for ARATA, this was my first time watching him in anything so I don't mind watching him in something else but yeah, I want to see him in stronger more deeper characters.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 28th, '11, 17:10

Finally got around in watching the finale (I kept forgetting lol)
I think it's interesting that Aya says that about people rationalizing their emotions are the real winners because well... sorry but she was the most irrational person in the show (well... second, Norisugi definitely takes the crown) But I do understand what she was saying but... too bad it didn't exactly apply to her. She didn't lose because of her 'rationality' she lost because she was overly jealous and pursuant. If she didn't flash her relationship around Naoko so much, react in such a way every time she was around then most likely none of this would've happened (the show most likely wouldn't have existed). Like I already think, Masato seem to only 'like' her due to Naoko confessing along with the combination of Aya blowing him off/being a douche and he just wanting comfort in someone...and well, who else but a girl who's the polar opposite of Aya?

This is the type of love I don't like though... regardless if it's taboo or not, it's too selfish. I think if I were her friend I would feel really hurt that she would pick him and run off over me. I have this personal thing about 'true friends,' and when it comes to relationships... once someone is in them, friends are secondary. And if that person becomes single, they're all buddy-buddy and with their friends a lot.. at least from what I experience/observed. Of course it's anyone's choice to pick love of a love over love of a friend but it makes me question the strength of that friendship from both sides. So... yeah... I don't like selfish love where no one else in the world except the person they're blinded with matters. But that's my personal opinion.

That's what makes choices complicated. We're told to 'follow what's in your heart and what makes you happy' but then also told it's not good to be selfish. I dunno I guess me personally I put myself secondary to others because I rather someone else be happy than me (I'm pessimistic) but everyone's different. No one will ever be truly happy when a decision is made so.... yeah.... ok I'm rambling on lemme stop ^^;;;;;
Arata's character in Noboru was more in love with that chick than his character in this drama lol. He can really express passion I think but I kinda blame the writing/script for the bland relationship here (from both sides... even Naoko didn't seem that much in love with him... it was more or less like a highschool crush and being that lucky girl who gets picked....) I really don't know what they like about each other.

edit
Oh yeah! I'm disappointed they didn't play the song with the lyrics more throughout this series.... It was really pretty ;_; That's one thing I did enjoy about this series: The OST!!!

Oroko

Post by Oroko » Dec 28th, '11, 17:31

I'm confused, isn't Masato actually related to her? I thought that he was the younger brother of Naoko's father, but was adopted by another family when he was young.

*spoilers*

I can't help but think this is one of the biggest disappointments I've had since watching dramas. Not that it was terrible, I just didn't think they wouldn't follow up on the incest aspect to the most bitter extreme. I always figured that Naoko would end up with Norisugi and Masato would go back to Aya and they would learn to accept that there was happiness in compromise, much like what Naoko's mother went through.

Instead, the "villians" who I probably identified with more in this case all learned that their extreme actions probably brought Masato and Naoko together more, which is understandable considering that their insanity probably matched the weirdness of the incest to begin with. There's too many 180 personality changes.

And of course, the protagonists end up in Eastern Europe in some war torn country where they're miserable but happy? They have to be punished for breaking the taboo right?

Ugh...ending was just too weird.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 28th, '11, 18:22

^
Yeah they are related.
But what compromise? Aya didn't even try to compromise with Masato instead brushed off everything he ever said. He actually tried to make the relationship work, Aya only married him because she wanted to 'mark her territory' since she found a a potential threat (which well.... was a threat and became real) Norisugi went ballistic on Naoko and his explodeness of jealousy.. well anyone would wanna walk away from that (and he too, refused to hear any side or any words that Naoko wanted to say. Immature to the max) I'm glad both broke it off with their original partners (it was for the best) but they themselves didn't have any chemistry and well... wasn't necessarily for the best. Naoko's mom situation only involved her and the guy who made a move on her. She didn't say she had any issues with her husband & daughter unlike the main cast... it was pretty much: stay with my poor family or run off with this rich guy.

I think the main 180 personality change was Norisugi.... Aya pretty much stayed the same, Naoko kinda grew up/mature (mainly as a doctor and that goes with Masato) and I already sensed BS going for Rai (her affair didn't really surprise me, just her hypocrisy)

The ending more or less isn't that bad.. they had to run away in a place where they can love even if it is dangerous.. the whole cheesy cliche "As long as we're together, nothing else matters!!!!" I think it was appropriate towards the matter at hand (the taboo of incest)

Oroko

Post by Oroko » Dec 28th, '11, 18:59

What I meant to say was I expected everyone to learn their lessons at the end and compromise, not that they actually did. Instead, the main characters took their taboo to the extreme.

I do think Aya learned something in the end. She mentions when she's lecturing Norisugi that their actions pushed Naoko and Masato together more than anything else. I'm pretty sure she realized that if she didn't spend all her time staking her claim she'd still be married. Never once did I doubt her affections for Masato, she just went batshit insane trying to fix it.

Masato's affection for Naoko seemed pretty forced, normally I'm quite fond of Nana, but she was pretty wooden, even by her own standards. And it seemed like Masato went back to being uncle then all of a sudden he was like, "NO I LUV U TOO! OMG!" I know you're fine with the cliche, but I was really hoping they'd avoid it at the end of the show.
PS: You post on Tokyohive too right?

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 28th, '11, 19:11

I wasn't expecting them to be together in the end, I thought they all would go their separate ways but even with this taboo and staying together, it just seemed kinda.... I dunno.... bleh? Like I wished it was worked with more or something.... Instead of jealous crazy boyfriend releasing it to the press. I just think if they got about, it should either have some depth to it or... just more out there I dunno. But it didn't feel scandalous ;_;

Aaaah ok yeah I remember Aya mentioned to Norisugi in a few eps back about doing stuff just pushes them closer together but there she go still trying to break them off ^^;

I'm not crazy about Nana's acting. I saw her in a few things and still... I dunno she doesn't excite/impress me too much. But yeah Masato's confession was random because there was no type of lead or indication he even liked her lol. Everything throughout before just seem like an uncle watching over his niece because she's family. It's like Naoko planted a seed in his mind and just waited for it to bloom with its sunlight of curiosity lol. I'm not fine with clichés actually, I was gonna avoid this show because I thought it was gonna be VERY cliche (two chicks fighting over a guy? ICK! Especially if there's nothing special about him anyway) but the ending was expected since they already threw away everything they had except for their occupations as doctors just to stay with each other so... I dunno it's an expected ending more so...? Not surprising (since they mentioned before they would even run away somewhere far where no one knows them so... foreshadow/hint) but I guess I couldn't think of anything else they could do with this ending the way the climax was building up. Selfish love ----> cliche ending ^^;
Yup! Lol me and my long essays of comments >_____>

Oroko

Post by Oroko » Dec 28th, '11, 19:33

«minah» wrote:
I wasn't expecting them to be together in the end, I thought they all would go their separate ways but even with this taboo and staying together, it just seemed kinda.... I dunno.... bleh? Like I wished it was worked with more or something.... Instead of jealous crazy boyfriend releasing it to the press. I just think if they got about, it should either have some depth to it or... just more out there I dunno. But it didn't feel scandalous ;_;

Aaaah ok yeah I remember Aya mentioned to Norisugi in a few eps back about doing stuff just pushes them closer together but there she go still trying to break them off ^^;

I'm not crazy about Nana's acting. I saw her in a few things and still... I dunno she doesn't excite/impress me too much. But yeah Masato's confession was random because there was no type of lead or indication he even liked her lol. Everything throughout before just seem like an uncle watching over his niece because she's family. It's like Naoko planted a seed in his mind and just waited for it to bloom with its sunlight of curiosity lol. I'm not fine with clichés actually, I was gonna avoid this show because I thought it was gonna be VERY cliche (two chicks fighting over a guy? ICK! Especially if there's nothing special about him anyway) but the ending was expected since they already threw away everything they had except for their occupations as doctors just to stay with each other so... I dunno it's an expected ending more so...? Not surprising (since they mentioned before they would even run away somewhere far where no one knows them so... foreshadow/hint) but I guess I couldn't think of anything else they could do with this ending the way the climax was building up. Selfish love ----> cliche ending ^^;
Yup! Lol me and my long essays of comments >_____>

Yeah, I expected the ending to be retarded, especially because I read the captions for each episode before I watched them. I knew it would be bad, but I had no idea it would go this far. I suppose my biggest issue with the ending is that they could have pulled it off in so many ways and let the two have their taboo relationship, but it just seemed like they took the most far fetched conclusion they could and then ran with it some more. I also didn't like how they made all the students so callous and jealous of each other at the end, I know that dedicating yourself to post graduate and doctoral work does messes with a lot of people, but did everyone have to be broken?

I'm generally fine with Asian cliches because I find I can identify with the cultural influences that spurred them in the first place. Probably also because I'm guilty of them in real life as well but the ending of this was so Western it was almost Hollywood.

prestoli
United States of America

Post by prestoli » Jan 1st, '12, 18:47

I wanted to see this because I am a huge fan of Kanno-san but even she couldn't save this drama for me...
I thought ARATA was great in Chase but I didn't buy him here as a romantic lead. He just seemed so fragile and overly emotionally. I wasn't happy that he and the Naoko character ended up together at the end because I think it promotes two stereotypes: one, that men prefer sweet, naive women to strong, career-oriented women and career-women always end up alone/lonely, and two, that a man will love you just because you love him.

I also realized that I didn't like any of the supporting characters! Rie-Rie needed a slap in the face; would anyone really be so vocal and arrogant at work about their extramarital affair? And Junior proposing to her at the end came out of nowhere to me. I didn't buy Norisugi's turn into a psycho stalker; that actor is way to delicate to be believed. Kirishima bugged - how did this whiny man become head of a dept? I think we saw him doing real work only once. The other young guy doctors I can't even remember their names or specialties.
And I totally agree with this!
Never once did I doubt her affections for Masato, she just went batshit insane trying to fix it.

Oroko

Post by Oroko » Jan 2nd, '12, 01:49

prestoli wrote:I wanted to see this because I am a huge fan of Kanno-san but even she couldn't save this drama for me...
I thought ARATA was great in Chase but I didn't buy him here as a romantic lead. He just seemed so fragile and overly emotionally. I wasn't happy that he and the Naoko character ended up together at the end because I think it promotes two stereotypes: one, that men prefer sweet, naive women to strong, career-oriented women and career-women always end up alone/lonely, and two, that a man will love you just because you love him.

I also realized that I didn't like any of the supporting characters! Rie-Rie needed a slap in the face; would anyone really be so vocal and arrogant at work about their extramarital affair? And Junior proposing to her at the end came out of nowhere to me. I didn't buy Norisugi's turn into a psycho stalker; that actor is way to delicate to be believed. Kirishima bugged - how did this whiny man become head of a dept? I think we saw him doing real work only once. The other young guy doctors I can't even remember their names or specialties.
And I totally agree with this!
Never once did I doubt her affections for Masato, she just went batshit insane trying to fix it.

Yeah, seriously, what was with all the med school friends becoming all two faced and competitive with each other? It was like all of them did a 180 on a waterslide or something.

As guys liking girls as long as the girl confesses, works.....surprisingly well. Especially if the men are emotionally fragile as ARATA was. A little more common than one would think.

doramaworld

Over-promised and too longwinded

Post by doramaworld » May 31st, '12, 10:01

Before the drama started, there was this talk it being some scandalous tale about an uncle and a niece being in love. However, I think the scriptwriter played safe so it really felt like a half-baked attempt because they aren't related by blood anyway. Moreover, it was simply too longwinded and I only hung on for the sake of Kanno Miho. Alas, even her acting couldn't save this drama in the end.

In case you are interested, here's my review of this drama:
http://doramaworld.blogspot.com/2011/11 ... -ep-1.html
http://doramaworld.blogspot.com/2012/02 ... ep-11.html

Oroko

Re: Over-promised and too longwinded

Post by Oroko » May 31st, '12, 16:02

doramaworld wrote:Before the drama started, there was this talk it being some scandalous tale about an uncle and a niece being in love. However, I think the scriptwriter played safe so it really felt like a half-baked attempt because they aren't related by blood anyway. Moreover, it was simply too longwinded and I only hung on for the sake of Kanno Miho. Alas, even her acting couldn't save this drama in the end.

In case you are interested, here's my review of this drama:
http://doramaworld.blogspot.com/2011/11 ... -ep-1.html
http://doramaworld.blogspot.com/2012/02 ... ep-11.html
Hey, great site you have!

Can't believe i've never seen it!

You got yourself a new reader.

doramaworld

Post by doramaworld » Jun 1st, '12, 03:37

Thanks Oroko! :D

Did you manage to finish this drama in the end?

Oroko

Post by Oroko » Jun 1st, '12, 06:29

doramaworld wrote:Thanks Oroko! :D

Did you manage to finish this drama in the end?
I did, it was terrible. I like Nana, but it was too much.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Jun 11th, '12, 14:33

I watched this drama quite a few months ago and I was also left with the doubt that they were not really related but that he had been adopted by her father. In this case the whole story would not have been a scandal though, so I don't understand why this was stated in one of the first episodes.

doramaworld

Post by doramaworld » Jun 13th, '12, 07:28

If I remember correctly, Masato is the half-brother of Naoko's father i.e. they have different mothers. Masato was later adopted by Naoko's mother's brother when he was a child so that's why his surname is Ikezawa while his brother's surname is Morimoto.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Jun 13th, '12, 10:11

Thanks so much for this clarification. This means that they were not related 100% and I personally did not find this relationship so scandalous as it was made out to be. I quite liked the ending as they persevered and decided to move to a totally different environment where they could live their relationship in peace and also help the people in need.