[Discussion] Youkai Ningen Bem (Kamenashi Kazuya, Anne)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
felisvelox

[Discussion] Youkai Ningen Bem (Kamenashi Kazuya, Anne)

Post by felisvelox » Oct 26th, '11, 02:25

Title: 妖怪人間べム
Title (romaji): Yokai Ningen Bem
Format: Renzoku
Genre: Supernatural adventure
Episodes: TBA
Broadcast network: NTV
Broadcast period: 2011-Oct-22 start
Air time: Saturdays 21:00

Cast.
Kamenashi Kazuya, Anne, Suzuki Fuku, Kitamura Kazuki, Emoto Akira (guest star), Hori Chiemi, Ishibashi Anna, Sugisaki Hana, Hirota Reona, Agata Morio

Synopsis.
Bem (Kamenashi Kazuya), Bella (Anne) and Bello (Suzuki Fuku) are ugly monsters that are neither human nor animals, but they are peace-loving, righteous heroes who feel compelled to help humans in trouble. Because they are monsters, they are feared and detested by humans, and on top of that, pursued by the police. However, a friendship develops between them and a detective (Kitamura Kazuki) by mere accident. Through their contact with humans, Bem, Bella and Bello’s earnest wish to become human grow increasingly stronger. They battle evil for the sake of mankind, in the belief that they will be able to become humans one day … …

English Subtitles : http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_100533.htm

Ep1 Rating: 18.9%
Ep2 Rating: 17.1%
Ep3 Rating: 15.8%
Ep4 Rating: 16.7%
Ep5 Rating: 16.2%
Ep6 Rating: 14.3%

Source: http://jdramas.wordpress.com & dramawiki
Official Website : http://www.ntv.co.jp/bem/
Last edited by felisvelox on Nov 30th, '11, 10:18, edited 2 times in total.

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 26th, '11, 10:30

I really enjoyed first episode! :-)

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Oct 28th, '11, 04:25

It's not as bad as I thought it'll be... and Anne seems to be doing better because she's kinda meh to me but this role... well.... I mean it's nothing special (typical non-human archtype role... always have to be that person who's against trying to be friends with humans & even to the point of almost not caring... but only do certain things because your comrades do) Same with Kame's role is a typical archtype... the cool level-headed person who still wanna be friends despite the treatment blah blah but I think he's doing a nice job for the cool type role.. way different aura from his Gokusen & YamaNade role. And the little boy is riding off his fame from that Marumo drama... but yeah it's actually a cute so far.. I just can't take the real forms seriously.. sorry but Japan is a bit known for the funky youkai/youma/monster costumes... ^^;;;; It's like Power Rangers.

Kame looks extremely handsome in this... much much emphasis on his eyes so I guess that's why (I'm not even a super Kame fan but do admit that is his best feature ^^) And Kazuki... #^^# Just kinda weird seeing him be a bit like... super friendly/silly/ that I dunno... not naive detective but that over-friendly type (except at the end for obvious reasons) But yeah lol I loooooove seeing Kazuki and can't wait to see him in that Ueto/Abe moovie!

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 28th, '11, 05:16

^ I agree, Kame looks incredible good in this drama 8)
Can't wait for next ep!

kate666

Post by kate666 » Oct 29th, '11, 15:51

I really love the first episode. I've watched it over 10 times already. :D

The 2nd episode was aired today. Having finished watching via twitvid. It's fun too. :wub:

The 3rd episode will be make me cry... >.<~~~

The three youkais crying together.

kate666

Post by kate666 » Oct 30th, '11, 19:27

Just finished watching Episode 2 with subs!!!

Gosh..this is VERY FUN. I like its semi-complex story. kind of parallel stories between high school student problems and criminals and the most important thing that we have these 3 youkais to solve the misteries instead of detectives or polices. It's addictive. And I don't think this episode is sad at all.

The thing is you shouldn't watch it without subs because the dialogue between the 3 youkais will actually things to comfort you. I love the warmness between them. Oh..and I got some laughters in this episode too.

Belo is too cute. Bela is spicy but she's kind. Bem is very kakkoi.

I really like this drama... OFFICIALLY!!

I'm glad Kame is in this. :wub: :wub:

ina

Post by ina » Oct 30th, '11, 21:18

I enjoyed the second episode very much too. I like that there are parallel stories going on.

While I think that the school girl story is one that has been done a hundred times in jdramas and which I find normally totally annoying it is totally saved by Bera's annoyance with it. She is such a fierce character. I am totally in love with her. :D

The interaction between the three yokais is totally cute and fun and they have great chemistry.

But I do think that there are very sad elements underlying their story. Bero wanting to become an adult after letting the crab go. Bemu's flashback to the rooftop scene from the first episode. Bera looking at her skin in the mirror.

I am also very intrigued by the nameless man and what his motive is. Just making things difficult? And of course the human tears thing is also very interesting.

kate666

Post by kate666 » Oct 31st, '11, 03:02

That tear thing really gives me hope that there's a way from their dreams to come true but not too high though. Becoming human at the end sounds too much like a fairytale. LOL

But Youkai fighto!! :wub:

They're doing great with the rating too.

Youkai Ningen Bem Ep 02 Rating : 17.1%

Kanto region
01 - 18.9%
02 - 17.1%

bhumichan

Post by bhumichan » Oct 31st, '11, 03:07

Kame never disappoints us! :wub:

Haven't watched the ep2 yet but sure it's great.

Well. Bem is a yokai nengem, but he's so thoughtful. Bera seems pessimistic about human but somehow it's true. Belo is nothing but a mere kid (not yokai) and very cute. I love the dialoques in this drama, they can warm one's heart and make one chilled (how human is heartless & cruel).

This drama is great, not surprised it's the popular anime back 30-40 years ago!

Miss1Potato

Post by Miss1Potato » Nov 8th, '11, 19:23

well, as kate666 predicted, episode 3 was a tear-fest. I really, REALLY love the subtle messages here, maybe I read too much into it but there are some really beautiful messages about acceptance, being "human" and compassion in this show.

Acting-wise, Kame, Fuku-kun and Anne are blowing me away. I never thought Kame was a lightweight but to me he is proving that he is truly a talented actor.

adriennelouise

Post by adriennelouise » Nov 10th, '11, 06:50

Despite the drop in ratings, I think I'm loving this drama even more. Episode 3 was really good!

r1ck

Post by r1ck » Nov 10th, '11, 12:43

this drama is great.
first I think this maybe like kaibutsu kun storyline.

so far I've watched until ep2.
in this episode kazama shunsuke and kamenashi reunion after kinpachi sensei 5.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Nov 10th, '11, 15:17

Gotta admit though even though I'm not crazy about Anne's character she is doing it well (and I'm not too crazy about Anne herself but I guess it's the roles she's been given) And I think Kame seems really mature in this and his calm, collective-ness is being portrayed really well for his character. I was kinda hoping it wouldn't be like Kaibutsu-kun actually >_> But yeah it's a nice watch.. but Kazuki... *swooons* #^^#

It's also a reunion of Kazuma & Kazuki after Akihabara@Deep! Fufufufufu

Asian Dramas

Post by Asian Dramas » Nov 13th, '11, 09:42

I'm loving this drama. It keeps getting better and better with every episode.

jpopwanderer

Well done - good story, decent acting and visual effects

Post by jpopwanderer » Nov 14th, '11, 01:49

Only watch till ep3 w/ sub but really like what i've seen so far. IMO, the story line of this drama is not unique, which is expected as it is based on the anime that came out like forty years ago. Nevertheless, the underlying theme and messages are something that will never get old and are worth being repeated again and again, especially to the younger audience. I could see kids learning lots of new things for them from this drama.

The visual effects are surprisingly good and admirable given the budget and time limit. I also like the background music, can't believe that sorrowful melancholy melody is from a saw instrument!

The acting is also good all around. I like how Anne and Fuku portrait their characters and also Kazuki (he's > 40 yrs old really?). I'm on the fence about Bem character. It's the most diverged from the original anime and i think that has a lot to do w/ them putting Kame in that role (he is just nothing like anime Bem, physically). I guess if i look at the drama Bem as a different character from the anime then it's good. Sometimes i just wonder if drama Bem is too gentle? Like he's really gentle gentle and emotional and always sad and given Kame looks.....ok i guess that shouldn't be the point.

all in all, a very well done drama. really looking forward to the next episodes. The story seems to be getting more intense and interesting too.

if i'm not mistaken the rating for the ep4 is 16.7% :cheers:

erica2

Post by erica2 » Nov 30th, '11, 09:50

Yokai Ningen Bem keeps impressing me with every episode, I really love this drama :)

Hikari Kirameku

Post by Hikari Kirameku » Nov 30th, '11, 22:54

This drama really is great so far. It's picked up even more since Ep. 5. I'm not sure how long it's going to air, but I'm hoping at least 10 episodes. Just got done watching Ep. 6 and I'm really curious as to where the story will lead. I've never seen either of the two anime versions, so I don't have anything to go by...I'm okay with that though, since I prefer this as it's own thing anyways.

jpopwanderer

Post by jpopwanderer » Dec 1st, '11, 21:29

^ i think it's already been announced that there'll be 10 episodes total. I just watched ep6 last night too and i'm really exciting for the next ep. i guess we could expect the confrontation between three youkai and the mysterious guy and probably also between Natsume and that guy too.

i guess you are right that there's not much point in comparing drama to the original anime and i didn't expect them to have to follow the anime closely. it's just that sometimes i feel like there are two girl youkai instead of one :roll ... no offense. i really want to see Kame in a more macho role :mrgreen: i wonder how he'd pull that out.

prettyorianna

Post by prettyorianna » Dec 5th, '11, 19:51

I am just absolutely loving this. But I will admit it's mostly because of Kame. I saw him in Gokusen and Yamanade so it's nice to see him in this kind of role.

I never saw the anime... but from what I'm reading here, that's not all that bad of a thing if I want to really get into the drama. (I am really bad at making comparisons so it's probably best I don't have anything to compare the drama to LOL).

In any event, I like it enough that waiting a week for the new episode seems soooo agonizing. I'm insanely curious as to where it will go in the rest of the episodes.

jpopwanderer

Post by jpopwanderer » Dec 21st, '11, 11:28

it's been pretty quiet here. Guess not many people follow this drama.

Can't wait for the final episode. I don't want the drama to end coz i like the three youkai very much and want to see more of them! But i also want to know how they will end it. What will the three youkai choose to do? Arghh i will miss this drama once it ends.

Too bad that the rating keeps going down. I think the drama is really well done both production-wise and acting-wise. Love Bem and Natsume-san!!. Certain parts of the drama are somewhat repetitive and really the story is not anything ground-breaking. But i like the message conveyed in each episode and how they kept the story progressing with some surprises thrown in along the way. this drama is sort of a more quiet and slowly paced one, at least to me. It makes you think but i also can see the entertaining factor to be not very high for some people. Still i hope the rating will pick up in the last episode. End it w/ a bang, youkai!

DianaJade

Post by DianaJade » Dec 27th, '11, 14:57

I want see love between Natsume and Bem!!!!

This drama is very good, but they like a monster more seems E.T.E.s rsrsrsr

Sorry my english it is very bad. But I needed come in this topic because I'm so grateful for subtitles, and couldn't leave coming in here comment my point of view about love between Natsume and Bem.

Oh! Not forgeting the boy, he is so cute!!!! Well, I already tried say many things, enough right?

Hikari Kirameku

Post by Hikari Kirameku » Jan 3rd, '12, 02:16

Finally got to finish it... But OMG! ...that ending...
The ending was INCREDIBLY bittersweet. The only thing that prevents it from being completely depressing is because the three deciding to stay as they were and protect humans was, in the end, their choice. Still, what makes it so sad is they cut ties with the only humans that ever treated them kindly. I am at least glad that they let Natsume know they were still alive at the end. That was cool.
Anyways, it was a really good series. Glad I got to see Kame in yet another drama. Plus, it was one that was almost like a tokusatsu! I have a general love of Kamen Rider, so anything with transforming heroes to fight bad guys is fine by me. Speaking of Kamen Rider, I found out Fuku is a big fan, and wants to play a Kamen Rider one day! I hope the little guy gets his wish. He was really adorable in this series too, even Kame would constantly mention it XD The cast in general was really great, and I enjoyed finding things with backstage stuff.

Now I wonder what kind of drama I'll watch now that this one's over?

koyuki-chan

Post by koyuki-chan » Mar 2nd, '12, 02:14

Guess I am late following this series :-(

I just watched until episode 5, and enjoyed it so far.
This is different from the tokusatsu I've watched back then in my childhood era. This is more sad, more dramatic, a lot of messages inside.

And what surprised me the most is how good Kame has improved in acting. He has done a good job portraying softhearted-but-hurt-inside yokai. One thing missing is just that he still looks too young to be Bem. And Bem looks like Inuyasha with the grey long hair :D If one day they decides to make a live adaptation of Inuyasha, I think Kame really fits for the role.

So I am continuing to the next episodes, and looking forward for something more surprising :cheers: