[Discussion] Strawberry Night

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
turtletyper

Post by turtletyper » Jun 15th, '12, 09:57

hmmm... wondering if anyone knows if himekawa's team knows about reiko's history/trauma?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 16th, '12, 00:20

turtletyper wrote:hmmm... wondering if anyone knows if himekawa's team knows about reiko's history/trauma?
Her team all know. That's why Kikuta walks her home after work.

turtletyper

Post by turtletyper » Jun 17th, '12, 06:38

seirin wrote:
turtletyper wrote:hmmm... wondering if anyone knows if himekawa's team knows about reiko's history/trauma?
Her team all know. That's why Kikuta walks her home after work.
Oh, i thought that was just to help her carry stuff. Do you know how her team knows? There were parts in the drama where reiko would make a comment reflecting on her own experience, but not specific to the point where it made it obvious that the other team members know.
Also, apparently they released the SP again some months ago, this time with added scenes. Do you know if there are any subs for those added scenes?
Hahahha, sorry for asking so much. Thanks!!!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 17th, '12, 16:49

I think everyone in the police force who choose to find out knows. It's in the police records. I think usually, if you work with someone, you would read up a bit on their background like how they got into the police force, where were they before, cases they solved, background etc. The drama never mentions how they know. They've been working together for a long time and during that time I think they would have found out even if they don't read up on her. She might have even told them at one of their dinner gatherings maybe. She was going to tell one of her detectives about herself but unfortunately, he didn't get to hear it before he passed away. I don't think Himekawa's past is a secret.

smexy-love

Post by smexy-love » Jun 24th, '12, 17:07

I love this drama! I keep watching it over and over again! I first watched the SP and thought it was too violent but oh so dark and gritty. Then the drama came out and I fell in love with it. I even bought the books that they are based on! Love love love the ReikoxKikuta and pretty much screamed when during ep11.

Has anyone seen the gag reel of the drama? Apparently Nishijima is really funny...

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 25th, '12, 15:09

Strawberry Night movie looks pretty interesting. Some solid additions to the movie. Takao Osawa and Tomokazu Miura.

Cast revealed for “Strawberry Night” movie

On Tuesday, further cast members were announced for the upcoming Strawberry Night movie, including Takao Osawa and Tomokazu Miura as brand new characters.

It was previously known that Yuko Takeuchi would be reprising her role from the 2010 Fuji TV special and 2012 drama as the main protagonist, detective Reiko Himekawa.

The film is based on Tetsuya Honda’s 2009 novel “Invisible Rain” and features a story of forbidden love between Himekawa and a gangster played by Osawa.

The story begins with Himekawa investigating the slaughter of a low-ranking yakuza. Due to the victim’s affiliations, the case is initially written off as a gang dispute and put on the back-burner due to a lack of conclusive evidence. Later, they receive a phone tip implicating a man named Kento Yanai as the perpetrator, but the higher-ups order that no further investigation be done of that particular name.

Going against that order, Himekawa begins her own investigation which leads her to cross paths with a yakuza named Isao Makita (Osawa).

In another new addition, Tomokazu Miura will play Wada, the criminal investigation section chief.

Returning from the TV drama cast are Hidetoshi Nishijima, Takashi Ukaji, Keisuke Koide, Kenichi Endo, Katsuhisa Namase, Masahiko Tsugawa, and Tetsuya Takeda.

Filming of “Strawberry Night” began on May 12th and is expected to be completed by July. It’s slated for release sometime in 2013.

http://www.nipponcinema.com/blog/cast-r ... ight-movie

deeplove

Movie- first teaser trailer

Post by deeplove » Sep 6th, '12, 16:15

~ spoilers~
the trailer doesn't reveal too much in my opinion but as for the article i only read half because i started getting the feeling it would provide too much info.

So proceed with caution.

http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/09/strawb ... st-teaser/

IDentity

Post by IDentity » Jun 2nd, '13, 16:38

Been a while since Strawberry Night ended.

Did anyone watched the movie and the 2013 SP? I think both the movie and SP are great.

Am hoping for a new season or SP or even another movie.

kangxy67

Post by kangxy67 » Jun 2nd, '13, 17:36

IDentity wrote: Did anyone watched the movie and the 2013 SP? I think both the movie and SP are great.
:blink Where did you get the movie from? Is it out already? I know it was out in the cinemas in Feb but I havent seen it around online yet. The SP leads up to the movie right? I liked the special 4 part series that came with the SP. That was cute. :D

daystep

Post by daystep » Jun 2nd, '13, 18:06

The SP takes place after the movie from what I understand

kangxy67

Post by kangxy67 » Jun 2nd, '13, 18:11

Is that so? I watched the SP and was kinda confused, because it didnt seem to have a definite conclusion. Hopefully the movie comes out soon, whatever the case is though. One of my favourite series ever. <3

IDentity

Post by IDentity » Jun 3rd, '13, 18:33

kangxy67 wrote:Is that so? I watched the SP and was kinda confused, because it didnt seem to have a definite conclusion. Hopefully the movie comes out soon, whatever the case is though. One of my favourite series ever. <3
I watched the movie in the aeroplane while I was on a trip to Tokyo. The storyline is interesting, though there are a few things that could have been better explained or acted out. The only thing that I can reveal to you is that:
Reiko's Hermes bag isn't exactly a Birkin and it was bought 2nd hand at 840,000 yen on a 2 year loan.
The SP occurred after the movie. The movie was actually based on the Himekawa Reiko series novel, 'Invisible Rain'. And that is why the SP was called, 'After the Invisible Rain' :)

The movie will be released on Blu Ray and DVD in July 2013.

I do hope there will be more to come, especially since the author wrote a new novel for the 'Himekawa Reiko' series. [/spoiler]

aznblade

Post by aznblade » Oct 29th, '13, 21:08

anyone know if there are english subtitles for the movie? it's been a while since the blu ray was released... i am surprised nobody picked this up even.

dqt785

Post by dqt785 » Jan 23rd, '14, 14:50

Just want to let you guys know the sub for the movie is finally out. You can grab it from eric paroissien's site. It is timed based on the dvdrip version but it worked with 720p bluray ripped, at least for me.

As for the movie, I think it's very excellent. I definitely think Makita is better suited for Himekawa than Kikuta. They just have a very passionate relationship while Kikuta has always been a nice guy with a one sided crush and Himekawa doesn't seem to think of him higher than just a trustworthy righthand man.
Does anyone know if Makita dies or not? Himekawa was seen leaving the hospital just when Makita's pulse stopped and the doctor was trying to revive him. I'd rather see him alive because his relationship with Himekawa is definitely interesting considering their position within each organizaion :).

Gir

Post by Gir » Jan 23rd, '14, 23:06

Thanks for the heads up, I had been checking his site, but I was afraid that he was MIA as the site and his twitter hadn't been updated since last April.

Gir

Post by Gir » Feb 8th, '14, 22:58

I finally got around to watching it, it was pretty good. Of course I' always bias towards Yuko Takeuchi.
dqt785 wrote:
As for the movie, I think it's very excellent. I definitely think Makita is better suited for Himekawa than Kikuta. They just have a very passionate relationship while Kikuta has always been a nice guy with a one sided crush and Himekawa doesn't seem to think of him higher than just a trustworthy righthand man.
I don't know.. I'm kind of leaning towards Ioka. :P

JackBauer2424

Re: [Discussion] Strawberry Night

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jun 30th, '15, 05:27

I watched the SP, and it seems this series cannot make use of Yuko Takeuchi's adorable Lunch Queen/Pride smile due to subject matter.

KoChun

Post by KoChun » Sep 26th, '15, 05:40

JackBauer2424 wrote:I watched the SP, and it seems this series cannot make use of Yuko Takeuchi's adorable Lunch Queen/Pride smile due to subject matter.
You also watched Strawberry Night for Yuko's sunshine smile :D
I also missed her cheerful attitude. Maybe it's bcos she lost her husband.

Yuko definitely grown as an actress with Strawberry Night
She is so kawaii when she run the line 'zettai' must bust the case.

This is an unusual drama as it runs episodes by cases.
Usually drama builts the plot towards the finale.
Strawberry Night did have a good finish with happy ending.

I was entertain by the variety and depth of characters too.
Also surprised by the performance of Gaku Hamada and
Misako Renbutsu.

Previously only seen Misako in Priceless and I'm home
portraying a supporting role with a cute face. This role
gave her the opportunity to show more depth.

I would not recommend Strawberry Night as it is
fast paced Japanese script and a little dark storyline
although I am entertained.

I am surprised how many SP and movie is showing up.
Will try to watch them.

denisander

Post by denisander » Nov 5th, '15, 07:12

Nice movie abot love, movies like this are not many