Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
kitty10
Japan

Re: RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE JDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Post by kitty10 » Sep 19th, '17, 16:37

SusieQ wrote:I haven't seen Bakuman, no. I guess I was turned off because the anime wasn't my cup of tea. But I like the movie cast well enough so I'll check it out.

Now to find out if Yami no Bansosha has subs... My Japanese is so bad right now. :sweat:
Yes, it has subs :) http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... o+bansosha

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Sep 20th, '17, 05:11

I'm watching it right now, kitty! On episode 3 already. It's amazing. Thank you so much for the recommendation. :D

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Sep 20th, '17, 12:52

SusieQ wrote:I'm watching it right now, kitty! On episode 3 already. It's amazing. Thank you so much for the recommendation. :D
Yay! So glad you're enjoying it! :thumright:

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Sep 21st, '17, 13:14

kitty10 wrote:
SusieQ wrote:I'm watching it right now, kitty! On episode 3 already. It's amazing. Thank you so much for the recommendation. :D
I finished it not so long after posting that. It was amazing. Seriously a great drama. Words can't even describe. It was exactly what I was looking for. :thumright: My only criticism is that the culprit was really really obvious. Didn't bother me much though. Might just have been the casting that gave it away.

Man, they should make a sequel... I would love to see Daigo and Mizuno together again for another manga mystery.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Sep 21st, '17, 22:57

SusieQ wrote:
kitty10 wrote:
I finished it not so long after posting that. It was amazing. Seriously a great drama. Words can't even describe. It was exactly what I was looking for. :thumright: My only criticism is that the culprit was really really obvious. Didn't bother me much though. Might just have been the casting that gave it away.

Man, they should make a sequel... I would love to see Daigo and Mizuno together again for another manga mystery.
Yay, so glad you enjoyed it! :cheers: I'm not a manga fan but even I enjoyed it. Didn't quite figure out who the villain was until about the halfway mark, but still, overall it was well done and I thought the final reveal was really cool. I could totally do with a sequel!

I haven't watched Bakuman, so I can't guarantee the quality of that one, but hope it turns out well for you too.

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Oct 11th, '17, 10:12

kitty10 wrote: I haven't watched Bakuman, so I can't guarantee the quality of that one, but hope it turns out well for you too.
Finally watched Bakuman. It was pretty good! Totally different tone from Yami no Bansousha, but just as much detail about manga as that and Juuhan Shuutai, but from another different perspective. The manic drawing parts were cheesy, bit of a put off, but in the end I enjoyed the simple storyline and passionate portrayal of manga.

You should check it out when you next have time, kitty.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 13th, '17, 02:54

SusieQ wrote:
kitty10 wrote: I haven't watched Bakuman, so I can't guarantee the quality of that one, but hope it turns out well for you too.
Finally watched Bakuman. It was pretty good! Totally different tone from Yami no Bansousha, but just as much detail about manga as that and Juuhan Shuutai, but from another different perspective. The manic drawing parts were cheesy, bit of a put off, but in the end I enjoyed the simple storyline and passionate portrayal of manga.

You should check it out when you next have time, kitty.
That sounds good, I'll take up your recommendation and get to it when I can. Glad you enjoyed it! :thumright:

nowh3r3

Post by nowh3r3 » Nov 6th, '17, 16:17

Can someone recommend me best quality dramas that would be either really funny or mystery/detective/suspense etc?
I haven't been able to watch dramas actively in about 4 years.. now I want to catch up :D So preferrably dramas that have aired after 2013 or so...

Jintetsu

Post by Jintetsu » Nov 6th, '17, 17:09

nowh3r3 wrote:Can someone recommend me best quality dramas that would be either really funny or mystery/detective/suspense etc?
I haven't been able to watch dramas actively in about 4 years.. now I want to catch up :D So preferrably dramas that have aired after 2013 or so...
Reading your post, first drama coming to my mind is "Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku". IMHO, it's a well-balanced drama between different genres as mistery, romance and somehow, is also kinda funny. It's one one of my favorite drama ever (I'm not into detective dramas though, I confess :P )

As for a funny drama, I'd suggest an old one as "Yasuko to Kenji". It's a 2008 drama, so maybe you already watched it, BUT, just in case you didn't, it's sure worth a try. I laughed a lot watching it and has quite a good cast (Mikako Tabe, Masahiro Matsuoka, Ryoko Hirosue and others).

nowh3r3

Post by nowh3r3 » Nov 6th, '17, 21:23

Jintetsu wrote:
nowh3r3 wrote:Can someone recommend me best quality dramas that would be either really funny or mystery/detective/suspense etc?
Reading your post, first drama coming to my mind is "Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku". IMHO, it's a well-balanced drama between different genres as mistery, romance and somehow, is also kinda funny. It's one one of my favorite drama ever (I'm not into detective dramas though, I confess :P )

As for a funny drama, I'd suggest an old one as "Yasuko to Kenji". It's a 2008 drama, so maybe you already watched it, BUT, just in case you didn't, it's sure worth a try. I laughed a lot watching it and has quite a good cast (Mikako Tabe, Masahiro Matsuoka, Ryoko Hirosue and others).
Thank you very much! The first one seems really interesting, I will definitely watch it. The second one, I think I haven't watched it either, so I'll check it as well :)

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Nov 6th, '17, 22:54

Funny detective stuff: Bitter Blood, Watashi no Kirai na Tantei

Serious detective/mystery: BORDER, Kageri Yuku Natsu, Yami no Bansosha, Cold Case, Long Goodbye

Humour: Fuben na Benriya, Neko Zamurai

If you want older drama recs, just buzz.

Alucard_Arthur

Post by Alucard_Arthur » Nov 7th, '17, 00:57

hi all.. any suggestions for vengeance/ revenge movies.. thanks

nowh3r3

Post by nowh3r3 » Nov 7th, '17, 15:54

kitty10 wrote:
Funny detective stuff: Bitter Blood, Watashi no Kirai na Tantei

Serious detective/mystery: BORDER, Kageri Yuku Natsu, Yami no Bansosha, Cold Case, Long Goodbye

Humour: Fuben na Benriya, Neko Zamurai

If you want older drama recs, just buzz.
Thanks for your suggestions! Cold Case is actually one of the very few I have watched recently. But the others I will definitely look for!
I'm happy I already got this many recommendations, yay :D

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Dec 4th, '17, 09:50

Any funny drama this Fall?
I know... it's been years since they dropped that genre but I might have missed something...

my favorite funny dramas are:

My Boss My Hero
Densha Otoko
Tokkyu Tanaka San Go
Kabe Onna Yama Onna

fairx

Post by fairx » Jan 31st, '18, 17:07

Hi guys and gurls

Its been a while since I'm back here at DA. (5 years I guess?)

I'm not up to speed with current Jdrama but wanted to find some laid back drama with particular traits.
I'm a fan of Screenwriter Kizara Izumi (http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kizara_Izumi) and I watch all of her stuffs except Oyaji no Senaka. My favorite would be Suika, Nobuta wo Produce and Yuube no curry, Ashita no Pan.

So i'm looking for similar feel / type of drama which emphasize more on daily life and human connection imbued with some comedy.

the only drama that I watch recently having same kind of feels are Kahogo no Kahoko, so that's already in my watched list. I also enjoy both part of Koizumi's Saigo kara Nibanme no Koi series.

so pelase suggest me some more, especially the one that I missed i the past 5 years or so. Hopefully with completed sub if available. I might hunt for japan subs if its really good but untranslated.

Thank you very much

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 31st, '18, 20:42

fairx wrote:Hi guys and gurls

Its been a while since I'm back here at DA. (5 years I guess?)

I'm not up to speed with current Jdrama but wanted to find some laid back drama with particular traits.
I'm a fan of Screenwriter Kizara Izumi (http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kizara_Izumi) and I watch all of her stuffs except Oyaji no Senaka. My favorite would be Suika, Nobuta wo Produce and Yuube no curry, Ashita no Pan.

So i'm looking for similar feel / type of drama which emphasize more on daily life and human connection imbued with some comedy.

the only drama that I watch recently having same kind of feels are Kahogo no Kahoko, so that's already in my watched list. I also enjoy both part of Koizumi's Saigo kara Nibanme no Koi series.

so pelase suggest me some more, especially the one that I missed i the past 5 years or so. Hopefully with completed sub if available. I might hunt for japan subs if its really good but untranslated.

Thank you very much
Welcome back. The most recent drama Pensees, subbed by Skewed Studios. Can be found at Nyaa.

bluchan

Post by bluchan » Feb 1st, '18, 06:02

Currently I'm in awe with:

Repeat (2018) this drama is a mysterious thriller with more than a turn of screw. Very recomended. :thumright:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... 0#p1795230

Joshiteki Seikatsu (2018) life as a transgerder girl who likes girls. Not your average cursi thing, very clever and recomended too. And it's only 4 episodes! :thumleft:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... 2#p1795222

catstreet

Post by catstreet » Feb 2nd, '18, 23:56

Hey everyone :)

I'm not overly new to jdramas as have watched some recently and in the past but am currently in a slump so am looking for some recommendations of dramas that might help me get out of that! I tend to get quite distracted if the story lulls or if it gets repetitive, and I'm not really into the following genres: detective/procedurals, medical, historical, western or sports

Drama genres I'm into: romance, school/youth, comedy, slice-of-life, mystery/thriller, friendship, psychological, manga
I especially love romantic dramas, friendship dramas, youth dramas or mystery thrillers!

Fave dramas: Ikebukuro West Gate Park, N no Tame Ni, Algernon Ni Hanataba O, Suki ga Hito ga Iru Koto, Hana Yori Dango, Nobuta Wo Produce

Other dramas I've seen and enjoyed: Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge, Long Love Letter, Orange Days, Bloody Monday, Kaitou Tantei Yamaneko, Stand Up!!

Actors I really like: Yamapi, Kento Yamazaki, Kubota Masataka, Kamenashi Kazuya, Miura Haruma, Miura Shohei, Sato Takeru, Nomura Shuhei, Kaku Kento, Sakaguchi Kentaro, Suda Masaki, Oguri Shun, Nagase Tomoya, Tsumabuki Satoshi, Kubozuka Yosuke, Sato Ryuta, Yamamoto Yusuke, Seto Koji

I hope someone has some recommendations that I'll really end up loving! Thank you!! :salut:

Jintetsu

Post by Jintetsu » Feb 3rd, '18, 10:55

Here's just a few of my alltime favorites, according to the genres you mention and actors you like. My favorite ones are written in bold :P
Some are pretty famous so you probably already watched them, but, just in case... :-)

Romantic drama: Itsuka Kono Koi wo Omoidashite Kitto Naite Shimau, Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu, Tatta Hitotsu no Koi, Love Song, Rich man Poor Woman, Summer Nude, Tokyo Tarareba Musume, Koinaka, Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu, Piece

School/Youth: My Boss My Hero, Yasuko to Kenji, 14sai no Hana, Seigi no Mikata, Koe Koi, Good Morning Call

Comedy: Hotaru no Hikari, Zenkai Girl, Attention Please, Watashi Kekkon Dekinai Janakute Shinain desu, Apoyan, Hito wa Mitame ga 100 Percent

Also, since you like mistery you could love (as much as I did, which means ten thousands tons of love :wub: ) Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku (I always recommend this :lol )
And since you like Nobuta Wo produce, you could give a try watching Q10, that's a mix between school/youth/romance/scifi

Hope it helps :thumright:

catstreet

Post by catstreet » Feb 3rd, '18, 17:13

Ah, thank you! :wub: There were a few here that I actually hadn't come across before so I'm looking forward to checking them out! Q10 looks like something I'd enjoy! As does Summer Nude (which reminds me very much of Suki na Hito ga Iru Koto! I've been meaning to watch a few of those mentioned too, especially classics like My Boss, My Hero! :thumright:

I also found a recent drama Kahogo no Kahoko, which looks like it'd be cute and fun!

Appreciate your suggestions, this will definitely give me some to keep me going for the time being haha. :salut:

am00339

Post by am00339 » Feb 3rd, '18, 17:26

Currently airing J-Dramas, recommendations please.

catstreet

Post by catstreet » Feb 4th, '18, 15:54

am00339 wrote:Currently airing J-Dramas, recommendations please.
I'm not sure about what genres you're into but currently I'm really enjoying Kuragehime and Todome no Kiss... however I'm also hearing good things about Repeat and Unnatural? :-)

yentsik

Post by yentsik » Feb 28th, '18, 17:15

Winter 2018
I'm currently enjoying Anone. I can't explain what it's about. It's very deep but I enjoyed it for a change. + Hirose Suzu is in it!

KAKERUGUI ~ the acting is a little bit crazy but it fits the story if you have watched the anime.

Fall 2017

ASHI GIRL IS ALSO GOOD

exoduze

Newbie Recommendations

Post by exoduze » Mar 11th, '18, 05:53

Hey Guys!

The name is eXo. I'm new to this forum, obviously. I am also new to JDrama/KDrama in general. Got into it when i randomly saw Million Yen Women on netflix and just fell in love with the concept. Personally loved Nanami. Loved how forward her character is, i guess that makes it my thing.

I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations similar to the Million Yen Women or Harem RomComs?

Thank you!

sakara

Post by sakara » Apr 30th, '18, 14:35

I like very much Seigi no Se. I watched the first two episodes and I have been really impressed with Yoshitaka Yuriko, she's so cute and this drama fits her character like a glove, it's another great performance after Tokyo Tarareba Musume

sukida
Liechtenstein

Re: Japanese drama about bullying

Post by sukida » Jul 25th, '18, 01:01

joou no kyoushitsu is excellent.

holyland also has bullying.

Makoto-Saurus

Serious J crime/detective dramas/thrillers? Does a Japanese The Wire exist?

Post by Makoto-Saurus » Nov 10th, '18, 21:20

Anyone got any recommendations for a tv series?

octavia

Re: Serious J crime/detective dramas/thrillers? Does a Japanese The Wire exist?

Post by octavia » Nov 11th, '18, 00:03

Border (2014)
Kurokouchi (2013)

Personal faves ( these series are mystery series but highly recommended not that dark , tho. Two seasons have been aired so far.)
Namonaki Doku ( first season)
Petero no Souretsu ( second season)

Makoto-Saurus

Post by Makoto-Saurus » Nov 11th, '18, 00:12

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. From a quick look though they're relatively short. Got me wondering, if there are any series that have many seasons.

A Yakuza series would be interesting as well. Any suggestions?

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Madoka » Nov 11th, '18, 01:00

The Furuhata Ninzaburo Series.
Last edited by Madoka on Nov 12th, '18, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Nov 11th, '18, 04:31

Aibou is long-running, but not sure if it fits The Wire type of drama.

Makoto-Saurus

Post by Makoto-Saurus » Nov 11th, '18, 09:51

Thanks both! Furuhata seems to somewhat comedic and is not what I was looking for, Aibou seems more interesting. :)

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Nov 13th, '18, 19:09

Makoto-Saurus wrote: Nov 11th, '18, 00:12 Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. From a quick look though they're relatively short. Got me wondering, if there are any series that have many seasons.

There are a few long-running series, mostly (to my limited knowledge) they're formulaic detective series like Aibou and Kasouken no Onna. A single series of 8-12 episodes is the standard for most prime time dramas though. Other than Kodoku no Gurume (a long-running foodie drama), I can't think of any other long ones. EDIT: I forgot Iryu Sosa (5 seasons, last aired Summer 2018) and Iryu: Team Medical Dragon (4 seasons). The latter is likely over for good as its lead, Sakaguchi Kenji, has possibly retired permanently due to illness.

As for recs, I think you'll probably like Mozu and Cold Case. The latter is based on the American TV drama of the same name and is currently airing its second series. Mozu ran for 2 series for a total of 15 episodes, plus a theatrical film, and was very suspenseful and dark.

Actually,if you're looking for darker, more serious dramas in general, check out almost anything that aired on WOWOW. It puts out the best suspense dramas in Japan, imho.

I second Octavia's suggestions as well, especially Na mo na ki Doku and Peter no Souretsu. I loved both those series; Koizumi Kotaro is an excellent suspense actor while still being very versatile. Both series were based on books by Miyabe Miyuki; she also wrote the Solomon's Perjury series which was adapted into a TV drama and 2 movies, not quite suspense but still good. Others of her work have been adapted as well so if you end up liking the most excellent Na mo na ki Doku, for example, you may try others originally written by her. On a side note, she's written another book in the same series; I wonder if they'll ever bring it to TV... It sounds very interesting.

Border was also very good, though I warn it also has some supernatural elements, and has had some spin-offs/sequels I've yet to watch so it's not quite as short as others.

I also recommend both series (only two so far) of Yami no Bansousha. The second series aired earlier this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see a third. The first series was recommended to me in this thread and I fell in love. When I learned of the second series I was so excited. A truly awesome drama!
Last edited by SusieQ on Dec 8th, '18, 13:48, edited 2 times in total.

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Nov 13th, '18, 19:19

I really need that 2nd REPEAT season :)

Makoto-Saurus

Post by Makoto-Saurus » Nov 14th, '18, 09:45

SusieQ wrote: Nov 13th, '18, 19:09
Makoto-Saurus wrote: Nov 11th, '18, 00:12 Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. From a quick look though they're relatively short. Got me wondering, if there are any series that have many seasons.

There are a few long-running series, mostly (to my limited knowledge) they're formulaic detective series like Aibou and Kasouken no Onna. A single series of 8-12 episodes is the standard for most prime time dramas though. Other than Kodoku no Gurume (a long-running foodie drama), I can't think of any other long ones.

As for recs, I think you'll probably like Mozu and Cold Case. The latter is based on the American TV drama of the same name and is currently airing its second series. Mozu ran for 2 series for a total of 15 episodes, plus a theatrical film, and was very suspenseful and dark.

Actually,if you're looking for darker, more serious dramas in general, check out almost anything that aired on WOWOW. It puts out the best suspense dramas in Japan, imho.

I second Octavia's suggestions as well, especially Na mo na ki Doku and Peter no Souretsu. I loved both those series; Koizumi Kotaro is an excellent suspense actor while still being very versatile. Both series were based on books by Miyabe Miyuki; she also wrote the Solomon's Perjury series which was adapted into a TV drama and 2 movies, not quite suspense but still good. Others of her work have been adapted as well so if you end up liking the most excellent Na mo na ki Doku, for example, you may try others originally written by her. On a side note, she's written another book in the same series; I wonder if they'll ever bring it to TV... It sounds very interesting.

Border was also very good, though I warn it also has some supernatural elements, and has had some spin-offs/sequels I've yet to watch so it's not quite as short as others.

I also recommend both series (only two so far) of Yami no Bansousha. The second series aired earlier this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see a third. The first series was recommended to me in this thread and I fell in love. When I learned of the second series I was so excited. A truly awesome drama!
Hi, thanks for these recommendations and informative post, I appreciate it. I found Mozu to be very interesting. Some I couldn’t find a good trailer of so I’ll still need to check out Yami no Banaousha. I’ll also try to see what they’ve aired on Wowow. :-)

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Nov 15th, '18, 17:46

Makoto-Saurus wrote: Nov 10th, '18, 21:20 Anyone got any recommendations for a tv series?
My favs are:
  • Shinzanmono: irt solves a single murder case over the 10 episodes... Also has TV-movie and movie spin offs.
  • Ouroboros: Based on a manga: two brothers became detective and yakuza to revenge someone...
  • Kiina: Extreme special detective for extremely special cases...
  • Trick: A naive physics professor and a female magician solve mystical cases. It has 3 seasons, and also some TV-movies...
As for long running series, i would recommend 3-nen B-gumi Kinpachi Sensei: It is about a junior-high teacher, and his students... It has 8 seasons, each with 22 episodes, some with some double episodes, and many TV-movies, including a "Final SP" in which the protagonist meets almost all his students from previous seasons...

Oh, another long running series "category" would be NHK's Taiga Drama: these are 50 episode long, mostly historical series...

Makoto-Saurus

Post by Makoto-Saurus » Nov 17th, '18, 10:53

UsagiYojimbo wrote: Nov 15th, '18, 17:46
Makoto-Saurus wrote: Nov 10th, '18, 21:20 Anyone got any recommendations for a tv series?
My favs are:
  • Shinzanmono: irt solves a single murder case over the 10 episodes... Also has TV-movie and movie spin offs.
  • Ouroboros: Based on a manga: two brothers became detective and yakuza to revenge someone...
  • Trick: A naive physics professor and a female magician solve mystical cases. It has 3 seasons, and also some TV-movies...
As for long running series, i would recommend 3-nen B-gumi Kinpachi Sensei: It is about a junior-high teacher, and his students... It has 8 seasons, each with 22 episodes, some with some double episodes, and many TV-movies, including a "Final SP" in which the protagonist meets almost all his students from previous seasons...

Oh, another long running series "category" would be NHK's Taiga Drama: these are 50 episode long, mostly historical series...
Thanks UsagiYojimbo, I will check these out. Also, I’ve seen quite many taiga dramas already. They are my favorites. :)

str5x

Japanese shows about food +/ cooking

Post by str5x » Nov 29th, '18, 16:36

Sooo, yeah. A little over three years ago I posted a request for recommendations of Japanese shows about food. I've checked and watched them all in these years and I've had great fun with them. My favorite show remains Kodoku no Gurume, I love its simplicity, pure enjoyment of food by the protagonist, and how each episode is a thing on its own; it's like therapy for me. That said, I've had some pretty good times with most of the recommended ones. Osen, and Shinya Shokudo were amazing. A huge thank you to all of you.

Now... I'm out, so I'm asking again ^^. Tell me:
  • Which shows have you most enjoyed where at least one of the central themes revolves around food or cooking?
  • Also, are there any other tv shows, whatever the theme or setting, that give you a similar vibe to what explained about Kodoku no Gurume?

PS. My listening comprehension has improved quite a bit since, so feel free to recommend anything, even if it's not subtitled.

kitty10
Japan

Re: Japanese shows about food +/ cooking

Post by kitty10 » Nov 30th, '18, 02:13

str5x wrote: Nov 29th, '18, 16:36 Sooo, yeah. A little over three years ago I posted a request for recommendations of Japanese shows about food. I've checked and watched them all in these years and I've had great fun with them. My favorite show remains Kodoku no Gurume, I love its simplicity, pure enjoyment of food by the protagonist, and how each episode is a thing on its own; it's like therapy for me. That said, I've had some pretty good times with most of the recommended ones. Osen, and Shinya Shokudo were amazing. A huge thank you to all of you.

Now... I'm out, so I'm asking again ^^. Tell me:
  • Which shows have you most enjoyed where at least one of the central themes revolves around food or cooking?
  • Also, are there any other tv shows, whatever the theme or setting, that give you a similar vibe to what explained about Kodoku no Gurume?
PS. My listening comprehension has improved quite a bit since, so feel free to recommend anything, even if it's not subtitled.
Not a drama, but you can try NHK's Trails to Tsukiji. Each episode introduces a type of food, and explores where and how it's grown, and the various dishes that can be made from it.

For food dramas, maybe try these?
Tenno no Ryoriban - about the famous imperial chef Akiyama Tokuzo
Samurai Gourmet - retiree who likes eating and samurai comics
Ando Natsu - making wagashi
Hungry - guy who gave up his music dreams to run his family's French restaurant
Gochisousan - asadora about a woman whose parents run a western style restaurant, and experiences the differences between Tokyo and Osaka

Film:
Little Forest - 2-parter film about food throughout the seasons

I recommend Tenno no Ryoriban, Little Forest and Trails to Tsukiji. Haven't seen the rest.

str5x

Post by str5x » Nov 30th, '18, 07:42

kitty10 wrote: Nov 30th, '18, 02:13 Not a drama, but you can try NHK's Trails to Tsukiji. Each episode introduces a type of food, and explores where and how it's grown, and the various dishes that can be made from it.

For food dramas, maybe try these?
Tenno no Ryoriban - about the famous imperial chef Akiyama Tokuzo
Samurai Gourmet - retiree who likes eating and samurai comics
Ando Natsu - making wagashi
Hungry - guy who gave up his music dreams to run his family's French restaurant
Gochisousan - asadora about a woman whose parents run a western style restaurant, and experiences the differences between Tokyo and Osaka

Film:
Little Forest - 2-parter film about food throughout the seasons

I recommend Tenno no Ryoriban, Little Forest and Trails to Tsukiji. Haven't seen the rest.
Trails to Tsukiji looks really interesting, I'll get on it. Gochisousan is also new to me; I'm unsure, but curious! Thank you!!

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Dec 8th, '18, 14:28

Best of 2018!

Who has a list for me to check out?

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jan 7th, '19, 22:30

Is there a Japanese drama about street racing a bit similar to Fast and the Furious? I'm guessing maybe the racing would make it too cost prohibitive.

I already saw Engine which was pretty funny.

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jan 7th, '19, 22:32

Makoto-Saurus wrote: Nov 17th, '18, 10:53
My favs are:

Thanks UsagiYojimbo, I will check these out. Also, I’ve seen quite many taiga dramas already. They are my favorites. :)
I saw two recently that I think were spin offs of Shinzamono. I forgot the names, but Hiroshi Abe is in them. One has Nanako Matsushima. They weren't bad.

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Jan 28th, '19, 00:11

JackBauer2424 wrote: Jan 7th, '19, 22:32
My favs are:

I saw two recently that I think were spin offs of Shinzamono. I forgot the names, but Hiroshi Abe is in them. One has Nanako Matsushima. They weren't bad.
Were they the movies? The first one is Kirin no Tsubasa and the second and most recent was Inori no Maku ga Oriru Toki (The Crimes That Bind).

There are also 2 TV specials.

I'm not even sure any more what I've seen and what I haven't, outside the series. So far I've found the TV series to be the most entertaining!

Makoto-Saurus

Post by Makoto-Saurus » Mar 7th, '19, 16:22

Please help!

What dramas would be good for teaching business/office culture in Japan? You can recommend anything. I just hope it depicts the office business, non-office business, sparetime and family environments, their etiquettes, somewhat realistically so you could see the contrast. Also, are there any that include foreigners too?

Thanks!
My favs are:

Thanks!

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Mar 8th, '19, 23:57

kitty10 wrote: Nov 30th, '18, 02:13
str5x wrote: Nov 29th, '18, 16:36
Not a drama, but you can try NHK's Trails to Tsukiji. Each episode introduces a type of food, and explores where and how it's grown, and the various dishes that can be made from it.
A few picks:
  • Teppan: A asadora that centers around a girl, who ends up opening a okonomiyaki shop with her grandmother.
  • Rāmen Daisuki Koizumi-san: About a schoolgirl who each and every day eats rāmen at a different shop...
  • Shūden Gohan: A short dorama about a couple, that works late, but always found time to cook dinner.
  • Yamada Tarō Monogatari: Story of a very poor schoolboy, who attends an elite high school, and has to work all nights to fed his 4 siblings and the very incapable mother. It features many dishes, that the children are dreaming of, or are trying to get, as they are always hungry...
  • Sushi Ōji: Is a comedy about the "martial art" of sushi making. :mrgreen:
Also, if it must not be drama, then:
  • There are TV shows, like the aforementioned Trails to Tsukiji, or Dining with the Chef, that center around food. There are food themed episodes in the series Begin Japanology, or its Mini or Plus spinoffs.
  • There are many movies, that center around food, EG:
    • Chonmage Purin: A samurai gets into the 20th century and learns to make confectionery for a little boy.
    • Tampopo: A truck driver helps a widow to renew her shop. The movie is consisting many different scenes, that are somehow interconnected, and each has something to do with food...
    • The American movie The Ramen Girl is about an American girl who becomes a rāmen chef, without knowing a single word Japanese...

nuve
Fansubber
Fansubber
Slovakia

Post by nuve » Apr 2nd, '19, 19:50

str5x wrote: Nov 29th, '18, 16:36 Now... I'm out, so I'm asking again ^^. Tell me:

There's Teppan shojo Akane about a girl who ends in 'kind of' food contests when she tries to help people out of their problems.
As far as I remember (I watched it few years ago ...)

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Apr 3rd, '19, 06:36

Makoto-Saurus wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 16:22 Please help!

What dramas would be good for teaching business/office culture in Japan? You can recommend anything. I just hope it depicts the office business, non-office business, sparetime and family environments, their etiquettes, somewhat realistically so you could see the contrast. Also, are there any that include foreigners too?

Thanks!
Thanks!
For office culture:

Eigyo Bucho something starring Nanako Matsushima
Hotaru no Hikari

Makoto-Saurus

Post by Makoto-Saurus » Apr 5th, '19, 13:53

JackBauer2424 wrote: Apr 3rd, '19, 06:36
Makoto-Saurus wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 16:22 Please help!

Thanks!
Thanks!
For office culture:

Eigyo Bucho something starring Nanako Matsushima
Hotaru no Hikari
Thanks JackBauer for the suggestions! =)

Nezumi.chan

Post by Nezumi.chan » Apr 29th, '19, 23:55

Hello ^^

Does anyone know any dramas with the same kind of humour as in Kyou Kara Ore Wa?

Pavlova Megaflop

Post by Pavlova Megaflop » May 31st, '19, 10:14

yentsik wrote: Feb 28th, '18, 17:15 Winter 2018
I'm currently enjoying Anone. I can't explain what it's about. It's very deep but I enjoyed it for a change. + Hirose Suzu is in it!

KAKERUGUI ~ the acting is a little bit crazy but it fits the story if you have watched the anime.

Fall 2017

ASHI GIRL IS ALSO GOOD
I really enjoyed Anone so will check your others out.

Also really enjoyed Quartet and Mondai no Aru Restaurant - same scriptwriter I think?

Didn't see your previous post - did you catch Pan to Soup to Neko Biyori (2013)? Really enjoyed this one, very shibui and soothing.

Otoko Meshi (2016) - a student ends up unwillingly housing a couple of gangsters, one of whom is a great cook, taking over the kitchen area. The student is gross, but I loved the dorama.

Or Mondai no Aru Restaurant - it is not relaxing or soothing to begin, everything seems rather precarious. But gradually, through gentle (or not) persistence, most of the problems are worked through, and satisfying conclusion.

Gu Ra Me (2016) is food themed, interesting opening, but story extremely thin, and many plot points abandoned unanswered.

Mi wo Tsukushi Ryoricho (2017) is period dorama about small restaurant in Edo, 1814. Period not usually my thing, but was OK.

My own question - recommendations based on my recent viewing list?
  • Itsuka Kono Koi wo Omoidashite Kitto Naite Shimau
  • Anone
  • Quartet
  • Mondai no Aru Restaurant
  • Little Forest
  • 99.9 Criminal Lawyer
  • Juhan Shuttai
Some of all times favourites:
  • Trick
  • Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
  • Manhattan Love Story
  • Saigo kara Nibanme no Koi
  • Suteki na Sen Taxi
  • Tiger & Dragon
  • Hero

BBally

Post by BBally » Jun 16th, '19, 03:23

Has the live action Sukeban Deka-like series Hana no Asuka Gumi been subbed before?

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0hywe3uiCo
Note: The link is of a review/retrospect of the series from a Youtuber named kenny lauderdale (he's one of the less annoying or less judgmental and more calm YouTube reviewers) plus info of the OVA based on the original manga just to give an idea to those who haven't heard of it.

Pavlova Megaflop

Post by Pavlova Megaflop » Jun 18th, '19, 20:09

I forgot another that is food based and soothing https://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kamogawa_Shokudo.

"Kamogawa Shokudo, a hidden restaurant in Kyoto, has no signs or curtains in front of it. That magazine ad "we'll search your meal of memories" is the only guide for the customers. In each episode, a customer with problem visit the restaurant to have one's unforgettable meal and discover joy in life..."

Random Recommendation for the room: http://asianwiki.com/Mr._Nietzsche_in_t ... ence_Store

Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store - Whole family loved it. Appears to have had no budget whatsoever, single location, cardboard backdrops, props from hyaku-en store, cast can't stop laughing in background, but it's awesome.

Yanez
Italy

Post by Yanez » Jun 22nd, '19, 04:18

str5x wrote: Nov 29th, '18, 16:36 ... are there any other tv shows, whatever the theme or setting, that give you a similar vibe to what explained about Kodoku no Gurume?[/list]

Have you already watched "Wakako Zake"? Four seasons so far, the third being still unsubbed. Pretty similar to "Kodoku No Gurume" imho. :wink:

sukida
Liechtenstein

Post by sukida » Sep 17th, '19, 21:07

i think of wakako zake as the female version of kodoku no gurume. they are both excellent, quiet, low-stress series [at least up to kng 4 and wz 2].

except for when
wakako throws her boyfriend into the refrigerator
. which is not as stressful as it sounds but completely uncalled for.

maybe italian food does that. who knows. but still.

XiaRah

Post by XiaRah » Oct 5th, '19, 20:46

Hey guys! Can you recommend me a drama/movie where male lead falls first for the female lead and chase female lead whereas she takes time to like him back? Its usually other way around, so suggest something where male lead chase and falls first for the female lead and episodes of him falling more!
Note: Female lead need to have a strong, fiery/blunt or overall strong character! Thanks :))
No dark with sad endings drama!

If you guys know any dramas/movies where there is no romance and strong female lead with comedic/light then you can suggest that too :))

zenith777

Post by zenith777 » Oct 7th, '19, 16:35

XiaRah wrote: Oct 5th, '19, 20:46 Hey guys! Can you recommend me a drama/movie where male lead falls first for the female lead and chase female lead whereas she takes time to like him back? Its usually other way around, so suggest something where male lead chase and falls first for the female lead and episodes of him falling more!
Note: Female lead need to have a strong, fiery/blunt or overall strong character! Thanks :))
No dark with sad endings drama!

If you guys know any dramas/movies where there is no romance and strong female lead with comedic/light then you can suggest that too :))
Shitsuren Chocolatier

mokudekiru

Post by mokudekiru » Oct 27th, '19, 06:58

Back here after 10 years lmao!!

Just went to japan for a visit and rewatched Manhattan Love Story to remember japanese a bit, and it reminded me how delightful jdramas can be at their best. Stopped watching them because I couldn't get into anything serious / crime / medical related and that seemed to be getting really popular at the time. Would love to start watching again!

The favorites I still remember / think about are:
Manhattan Love Story
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (watching the new season now, it's not as good sadly)
My Boss My Hero

So yeah all of these have a silly and lighthearted quality to them, but are both funny & quick enough to keep things moving / keep me engaged. Would appreciate any recs you think I might enjoy since 2010!

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Oct 27th, '19, 09:32

mokudekiru wrote: Oct 27th, '19, 06:58 Back here after 10 years lmao!!
Welcome back! :)

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Nov 18th, '19, 16:55

Keiko1981 wrote: Oct 27th, '19, 09:32
Welcome back! :)
WOW welcome back :)))

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Nov 18th, '19, 16:58

Just went to japan for a visit and rewatched Manhattan Love Story to remember japanese a bit, and it reminded me how delightful jdramas can be at their best. Stopped watching them because I couldn't get into anything serious / crime / medical related and that seemed to be getting really popular at the time. Would love to start watching again!

Manhattan Love Story
My Boss My Hero

So yeah all of these have a silly and lighthearted quality to them, but are both funny & quick enough to keep things moving / keep me engaged. Would appreciate any recs you think I might enjoy since 2010!
My Boss My Hero, nuff said!! On my top 10 dramas of all time!!
I, too, dislike crime/hospital/lawyer type dramas and prefer comedies.
So much I've been rewatching staples such as Kabe Onna Yama Onna, Tokkyu Tanaka 3-go and Love Shuffle recently :)

Rassie
United States of America

Post by Rassie » Nov 30th, '19, 14:40

Recommendations please:
I am currently watching Pin to kona. Are there any other jdrama that deals with cultural clash between generations? Adjusting to current time? Of course, romance would be good. Historical drama is okay, but I would prefer 20th or 21st century.

Yanez
Italy

Post by Yanez » Dec 2nd, '19, 12:27

Manhattan Love Story
My Boss My Hero

Saigo Kara Nibanme No Koi (2 seasons)
Confidence Man JP
Nakuna, Hara-chan
Neko Zamurai (2 seasons)
Prison School
Juhan Shuttai!
Otoko Meshi
Teddy Go!

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Jan 19th, '20, 15:43

any comedies this season ? (Winter 2020)
Have briefly checked what's new, but looked, once again, like a bunch of 1) medical 2) lawyer type 3) police investigation type dramas.

Shihomin
Chile

Post by Shihomin » Jun 28th, '20, 23:21

Hi! Just arrived here, following Gen Hoshino and the urge to see all of his acting career.

Already saw NegiHaji, the Musuko ko Koi movie and Plage (thatbwas very good! Too bad there's only one ep subbed)

Also started watching MIU404, so far looks fun, with mystery and humor in a nice balance. Also Gen-san looks so different to his chara in NegiHaji, as both dramas are airing now.

Anyone else watching MIU?

hhnd

Post by hhnd » Sep 22nd, '20, 03:47

Hi guys! I followed the Jdrama scene fairly closely between 2008-2012; don't think I really missed out on any really awesome series around then, but haven't paid attention to much since then. The only drama I love recently (2016 lol) was Kazoku no katachi. I like slice of life, light romance (like Nodame or Long Vacation, can't stand love triangles or anything dramatic/plot twist/incest/adultery etc), school dramas if well-done (like Nobuta wo produce), or human shows. Dark is ok, as long as it's not too stretched (I love Ueno Juri but her revenge story Alice no toge was way too much for me to believe).
My all time favorites are:
- Nodame Cantabile
- Nobuta wo produce
- Shiroi Kyoto
- Byakuyakou
- Long Vacation
- Tiger & Dragon
- Ningen no shoumei

Are there anything since 2012 that screams must watch, or that has made it to your list of all-time favorites? My overall feeling is that Japanese dramas quality has really gone down hill, which I don't want to admit. Just can't seem to find anything that makes me scream for joy these days. And I don't find Korean dramas enjoyable (can't stand dramatic stuff lol) so I haven't been watching dramas since then haha.

Gabrielmpf
Fansubber
Fansubber
Portugal

Post by Gabrielmpf » Sep 22nd, '20, 10:56

hhnd wrote: Sep 22nd, '20, 03:47 Hi guys! I followed the Jdrama scene fairly closely between 2008-2012; don't think I really missed out on any really awesome series around then, but haven't paid attention to much since then. The only drama I love recently (2016 lol) was Kazoku no katachi. I like slice of life, light romance (like Nodame or Long Vacation, can't stand love triangles or anything dramatic/plot twist/incest/adultery etc), school dramas if well-done (like Nobuta wo produce), or human shows. Dark is ok, as long as it's not too stretched (I love Ueno Juri but her revenge story Alice no toge was way too much for me to believe).
My all time favorites are:
- Nodame Cantabile
- Nobuta wo produce
- Shiroi Kyoto
- Byakuyakou
- Long Vacation
- Tiger & Dragon
- Ningen no shoumei

Are there anything since 2012 that screams must watch, or that has made it to your list of all-time favorites? My overall feeling is that Japanese dramas quality has really gone down hill, which I don't want to admit. Just can't seem to find anything that makes me scream for joy these days. And I don't find Korean dramas enjoyable (can't stand dramatic stuff lol) so I haven't been watching dramas since then haha.
You certainly have been missing out on a lot of good dramas. Japanese drama hasn't gone down hill, you just been away for too long and probably have a nostalgic feeling towards the drama of that time. I do share the sentiment towards Kdrama. Can't really stand them.

I'll leave you a list of good dramas that I think you'd like, particularly with a good slice of life vibe:

From this year, probably the best so far:

Watashi no Kaseifu Nagisa-san
Kotaki Kyodai to Shikuhakku

From previous years, but also very interesting:

Yube no Kare, Ashita no Pan (2014) - My all time favorite.
Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi (2012-2014) - Around the time you left, maybe you saw it. It had two seasons and one special.
Candy House (2015) - Half hour episodes. Lovely drama. Up there in my all time favorites.
Dear Sister (2014) - Satomi Ishihara and Nao Matsushita at their best.
Fuben na Benriya (2015) - Great comedy. Loved this one.
Last Cinderella (2013) - Currently watching this one. Really enjoying it.
Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (2016) - Another one that could only work in Japan. Just watch it. You'll love it.
Sutekina Sen Taxi (2014) - Quirky, but funny and entertaining. Another one of my favorites.
Tokyo Sentimental (2016) - One of the first dramas I subbed to completion. Each episode had a different story. Learned some things about Tokyo's history.
Tokyo Dokushin Danshi (2019) - Three bachelors living in the same building. What could go wrong?

Hope you get the into Jdrama again. There's really good stuff out there. You just have to start watching again and those feelings will come back. There's nothing like it.

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Sep 22nd, '20, 11:05

Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi (2012-2014)

YES YES YES one of my favorite shows. Great loke (Kamakura) and great actors.

hhnd

Post by hhnd » Sep 22nd, '20, 19:25

Gabrielmpf wrote: Sep 22nd, '20, 10:56You certainly have been missing out on a lot of good dramas. Japanese drama hasn't gone down hill, you just been away for too long and probably have a nostalgic feeling towards the drama of that time. I do share the sentiment towards Kdrama. Can't really stand them.

I'll leave you a list of good dramas that I think you'd like, particularly with a good slice of life vibe:

From this year, probably the best so far:

Watashi no Kaseifu Nagisa-san
Kotaki Kyodai to Shikuhakku

From previous years, but also very interesting:

Yube no Kare, Ashita no Pan (2014) - My all time favorite.
Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi (2012-2014) - Around the time you left, maybe you saw it. It had two seasons and one special.
Candy House (2015) - Half hour episodes. Lovely drama. Up there in my all time favorites.
Dear Sister (2014) - Satomi Ishihara and Nao Matsushita at their best.
Fuben na Benriya (2015) - Great comedy. Loved this one.
Last Cinderella (2013) - Currently watching this one. Really enjoying it.
Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (2016) - Another one that could only work in Japan. Just watch it. You'll love it.
Sutekina Sen Taxi (2014) - Quirky, but funny and entertaining. Another one of my favorites.
Tokyo Sentimental (2016) - One of the first dramas I subbed to completion. Each episode had a different story. Learned some things about Tokyo's history.
Tokyo Dokushin Danshi (2019) - Three bachelors living in the same building. What could go wrong?

Hope you get the into Jdrama again. There's really good stuff out there. You just have to start watching again and those feelings will come back. There's nothing like it.
THANK YOU so much for this list; I'll certainly check them out!! I have to agree with you, I used to be the one who hated it when people said stuff like "only 1990s dramas are good, dramas in the 2000s are going downhill", as I'm sure there are always stuff worth watching at any moment in time. Unfortunately with getting older I'm turning into another sentimental oldie who's just not keeping up with the time. I'm sure I plowed through tons of terrible and mediocre dramas in the 90s and 2000s before I found my all-time favorites, but now all that's remained in my memories is "wow dramas in the 2000s were so great" XD I'm really glad you don't think quality overall has gone downhill. Other than Japanese dramas no other countries (drama-wise) quite captures my heart the same way :wub:

Pavlova Megaflop

Post by Pavlova Megaflop » Oct 13th, '20, 07:30

If you liked:
Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi
Yube no Kare, Ashita no Pan
Sutekina Sen Taxi

then please consider:
Dakara Watashi wa Oshimashita (2019)
Bokura wa Kiseki de Dekiteiru (2018)
Nagi no Oitoma (2019)

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Oct 15th, '20, 10:10

Pavlova Megaflop wrote: Oct 13th, '20, 07:30 If you liked:
Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi
Yube no Kare, Ashita no Pan
Sutekina Sen Taxi

then please consider:
Dakara Watashi wa Oshimashita (2019)
Bokura wa Kiseki de Dekiteiru (2018)
Nagi no Oitoma (2019)
I didn't know Dakara Watashi wa Oshimashita! Will get it now :) thank you!!

fatecbia
Brazil

Re: can someone recommend me more medical J-dramas?

Post by fatecbia » Oct 24th, '20, 17:12

Zephuros wrote: Sep 5th, '15, 06:52 I've finished watching all Doctor-X, Dr. Raintaro and Iryu episodes/seasons....

I only knew these three, are there more awesome doctor/medical-related dramas? Please recommend them to me..!

Thank you!
Try, Alive

Pavlova Megaflop

Post by Pavlova Megaflop » Oct 31st, '20, 12:14

Watching "Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (2016)" now. Good fun.

Seeing Arata Furuta again reminds me of "Yume wo Kanaeru Zou (2008)" - an enjoyable bit of magical silliness.

Which further reminds me of Trick 3, Episode 10, with the Kami no Zou no Zou no Zou (Maybe 神の象の像の像の像の像...), Furuta's Ganesha literally is Kami no Zou no Zou.

Time for rewatch.

saratfkh

Recommend Sad dramas with Brothers

Post by saratfkh » Mar 28th, '21, 00:28

I am a sucker for amazing brothers relationships in dramas/movies. Please suggest anything with amazing brother-brother (or sibling relationships) (or a couple of siblings) and themes like sacrifice. I am looking for amazing character developments. Any genre is fine and any good Jdramas or cdramas that come to mind. Older dramas depict this beautifully but I haven't been able to find any recently. Please suggest everything that comes to mind with a bit of explanation thank you :)

I've enjoyed Life(2018), Brotherhood of war, East of Eden, Ugly Alert, Breathless

yoshiyuki

Post by yoshiyuki » Mar 30th, '21, 03:17

Hello,

i just finished watching "Tengoku to Jigoku - Psycho na Futari" and really liked the funny, partly dirty cop character Kawahara (played by Kitamura Kazuki) in it.
Does somebody have recommendations for other suspense/cop comedy doramas that have a kinda bad but loveable cop character in it? I would really appreciate it.
I did watch "Kurokouchi" (with Nagase Tomoya who now sadly retired from Showbiz) some years before, but it was not really comparable (the character was more crazy than half-dirty, lol).