Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
sawakura

need help to find a good Jdrama

Post by sawakura » Aug 8th, '07, 15:04

i'm new to Jdrama, just watching anime beforce :P . It's difficult to find a good drama among a bunch of Jdrama around here.
The genres i refer are school life (must be in this genre), comedy and romance :mrgreen: . It will be better if the female character is supercute :wub:

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Aug 8th, '07, 17:54

I started a couple shows this spring, only one that held my interest was Hotelier.

Is there any new stuff for the summer season worth checking out? I mostly prefer comedy, but if it's good I could care less.

rest69

Post by rest69 » Aug 8th, '07, 18:32

Hello!!
please maybe you can help me!
Does anyone have the KAIGO ETOILE drama? Nishikawa Takanori (TMRevolution) plays in that, and i would really like to see it!
If anyone can upload it, please do!
thanks!
~i downloaded the Life is beautiful, and somewhen i will watch it!~

groink

Post by groink » Aug 8th, '07, 21:59

sawakura

Post by sawakura » Aug 9th, '07, 05:41

i'm new to Jdrama, just watching anime beforce :P . It's difficult to find a good drama among a bunch of Jdrama around here.
The genres i refer are school life (must be in this genre), comedy and romance . It will be better if the female character is supercute
Thanks

ap0stat3

Post by ap0stat3 » Aug 9th, '07, 06:22

sawakura wrote:i'm new to Jdrama, just watching anime beforce :P . It's difficult to find a good drama among a bunch of Jdrama around here.
The genres i refer are school life (must be in this genre), comedy and romance . It will be better if the female character is supercute
Thanks
try DragonZakura, Proposal Daisakusen and Orange Days

also gokusen and G.T.O. 8)

Hanazakari no Kimitachi e

sawakura

Post by sawakura » Aug 9th, '07, 12:15

i watched hana yori dango 1&2, G.T.O (now watching), grave of fireflies :P. Maybe it'll take some time to download your recommended drama :mrgreen:

blue_shoe

Post by blue_shoe » Aug 11th, '07, 03:38

I'm looking for Jdramas that are like Proposal dai, Orange days, thanks. Please recommend me

tingbudong

J-drama reccomendations

Post by tingbudong » Aug 11th, '07, 15:08

One Litre of Tears was my all-time favorite - I saw it as a two-night marathon - twice, within the same week - and seriously couldn't stop, its so good. Moreover, it had many more meaningful messages than any of the other dramas I've seen. All drama lovers should see it!

I'm watching Nodame Cantabile right now and am quite impressed. Stopping after episode 4 because I'm going to watch the whole series with some friends back at college, plus it almost seems to end here... but if you like upbeat dramas with good music (classical!!!), then don't miss this one! Overall, the mood of this drama reminds me of the Taiwanese drama Hana Kimi, except better and more crafted like a manga.

I wouldn't recommend 14Sai No Haha, or 14-year-old Mother - saw this one, and although the lighting and scenery are nice, the drama is boring. Plus it seemed the only real message is not to have unprotected sex before you are ready to have a child. :blink And that seems like a goofy message to want to convey with a drama...

jeune_daisy

Post by jeune_daisy » Aug 11th, '07, 15:23

1 Litre of Tears, Nodame Cantabile and My boss My Hero.

durrellie

Looking for a Drama

Post by durrellie » Aug 12th, '07, 05:15

Well....I'm looking for dramas that are serious I mean real heart wrenching stuff along the lines of Sekai no Chushin de, Ai wo Sakebu(who didn't cry at the end of every episode of that drama) and :cry: Byakuyakou I'm looking for dramas like that with a sense of hopelessness and despair. Also I've seen one liter of tears, Kamisama mou sukoshi dake,
and Kou Kou Kyoushi.

ps. I'm sorry if this is wrong place to post this won't happen again

remoted

Post by remoted » Aug 12th, '07, 05:26

I would like a see another drama like Yamada Taro Monogatari. The theme is so family oriented, it makes the viewer bubbly inside. Something with a hint of romance would be also alright. Nothing too over the top though. Thanks. :wub:

Edit:
durrellie
Did you see taiyo no uta? I think that would fit your needs in a good ole sad drama.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Re: Looking for a Drama

Post by mizune » Aug 12th, '07, 05:50

durrellie wrote:Well....I'm looking for dramas that are serious I mean real heart wrenching stuff along the lines of Sekai no Chushin de, Ai wo Sakebu(who didn't cry at the end of every episode of that drama) and :cry: Byakuyakou I'm looking for dramas like that with a sense of hopelessness and despair. Also I've seen one liter of tears, Kamisama mou sukoshi dake,
and Kou Kou Kyoushi.

No, this is the right place to ask. :)
So you like the darker dramas, huh? Here are a few to try that are subbed (I don't know if I'd call them "full of hopelessness and despair", but they have darker emotional elements involved in the story or subject matter):
Beautiful Life
Hoshi no Kinka / Heaven's coins series
A Million Stars Falling From the Sky
Summer Snow
Koibumi

apartofmylife

Re: Looking for a Drama

Post by apartofmylife » Aug 12th, '07, 23:42

durrellie wrote:Well....I'm looking for dramas that are serious I mean real heart wrenching stuff along the lines of Sekai no Chushin de, Ai wo Sakebu(who didn't cry at the end of every episode of that drama) and :cry: Byakuyakou I'm looking for dramas like that with a sense of hopelessness and despair. Also I've seen one liter of tears, Kamisama mou sukoshi dake,
and Kou Kou Kyoushi.

You might like First Love, J-drama. Have you seen it?
it is a love story with darkness and sadness, but not completly miserable .

myrie

Post by myrie » Aug 13th, '07, 08:05

Tokkyu Tanaka San Go ... i love tanaka koki.. ive learn much from this drama .. :)

totalanime

Post by totalanime » Aug 13th, '07, 20:45

My Top 10 Jdorama

1. GTO (got me addicted to asian dramas and still my fav)
2. Ikebukuro West Gate Park (some mature topics but a great watch)
3. My Boss My Hero
4. Nobuta Wo Produce
5. Dragon Zakura
6. Satorare
7. Orange Days
8. Liar Game
9. Hero
10. Engine

NiliSabach

Post by NiliSabach » Aug 14th, '07, 12:04

Oi!
can anyone recommend me on a good Jdrama which takes place in a high school? (like Hana Yori Dango, Gokusen, Nobuta wo Produce).

and, I just finished watching Bambino, and I loved it ! especially because of the cast ^_^
dumb question- any other dorama which revolves around cooking and the likes of it?

p.s- hot actors are a big PLUS.
\"\(^_^)/"/

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Aug 16th, '07, 01:22

I'm only replying to this specific post because it's a specific query... and because no one responded to my very specific query. Make of that what you will.
NiliSabach wrote:Oi!
can anyone recommend me on a good Jdrama which takes place in a high school? (like Hana Yori Dango, Gokusen, Nobuta wo Produce).

and, I just finished watching Bambino, and I loved it ! especially because of the cast ^_^
dumb question- any other dorama which revolves around cooking and the likes of it?

p.s- hot actors are a big PLUS.
"\(^_^)/"/
You'll probably LOVE My Boss, My Hero. I'd also highly recommend Dragon Zakura, though I dunno if Abe Hiroshi qualifies as "hot" he's certainly one of the very BEST actors out there.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 16th, '07, 14:46

Mwulf wrote:I started a couple shows this spring, only one that held my interest was Hotelier.

Is there any new stuff for the summer season worth checking out? I mostly prefer comedy, but if it's good I could care less.
No one responded to you yet? oh well...
This is a so-so season, the stories tend to be safe, thus not that engaging. So I would choose to watch one of the following if there is an actor in there that you like.

My fave is Papa to Musume no Nanokakan, Tachi Hiroshi gives an awesome performance with 17 yr old girl mannerisms. Aragaki is also just SO cute. Tho the body exchange schtick is such an old formula, this is a pretty good execution. And, it's short (7 eps)

Hana Kimi is an Oguri/Horikita vehicle, but the story is a bit weak as they try to find ways of making one ep ministories but also progress the plot... and there are way too many minor characters, but if you like pretty boys, it's got lots of those

Yamada Taro Monogatari is a nino comedy. But his character is so oblivious that there feels like there is no hook in the story...

Hotaru no Hikari is an Ayase comedy. Problem is that it's based on a manga about a 29 yr old dry fish. Tho they've downsized the age to ~24, but 22 yr Ayase is just too fresh-faced to carry it off.

Yama Onna Kabe Onna - ironically, I think it would have been interesting if Itoh was in Hotaru and Ayase is in this one.

Honestly, in the scheme of all j-dramas, I don't think there is any must watches this season, regardless of genre (Juken no kami, First Kiss, Tantei Kakuen Q, Love and Farm, Jotei and LIFE are all so-so, haven't seen Sushi Oji and Katagoshi no Koibito yet).

But, if you have to pick only one, I'd recommend Papa to Musume.

Starlightstar

Post by Starlightstar » Aug 16th, '07, 18:45

Hi I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good dramas to me. I'm kinda looking for dramas like IWGP, or Love Story kinda like a romantic comedy, or slice of life dramas like Nobuta wo produce, tokkyu tanaka 3 go, dragon zakura. Oh yeah and the only dramas i don't like are ones that are big time tear jerkers like 1 litre of tears

I watched these dramas so far
Gokusen
Gokusen 2
Nobuta wo Produce
Liar Game
Strawberry on the Shortcake
Dance Drill
Ganbate Ikimashoi
Sapuri
Proposal Daisakusen
Hero, My Boss My Hero, Kurosagi, Remote, Tiger and Dragon, taiyou no kisetsu, Hana Kimi, Hanayome to Papa, Hana Yori Dango both, Sore wa..., Kabichitare, Long Love Letter, Kimi wa Petto, Bambino, Taisetsu.... Koi, Sushi Ouji and I think thats it

I hope i'm not being too picky lol

Thanks in advance

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Aug 17th, '07, 04:09

Thanks, auroragb. That's a bit disappointing... guess I'll have to keep waiting for something really good.
Starlightstar wrote:Hi I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good dramas to me. I'm kinda looking for dramas like IWGP, or Love Story kinda like a romantic comedy, or slice of life dramas like Nobuta wo produce, tokkyu tanaka 3 go, dragon zakura. Oh yeah and the only dramas i don't like are ones that are big time tear jerkers like 1 litre of tears

Gokusen
Gokusen 2
Nobuta wo Produce
Liar Game
Dance Drill
Ganbate Ikimashoi
Sapuri
Proposal Daisakusen
Hero, My Boss My Hero, Kurosagi, Remote, Tiger and Dragon, taiyou no kisetsu, Hana Kimi, Hanayome to Papa, Hana Yori Dango both, Sore wa..., Kabichitare, Long Love Letter, Kimi wa Petto, Bambino, Taisetsu.... Koi, Sushi Ouji and I think thats it

Thanks in advance
Trick S1
Trick S2
Trick S3
Trick Movies
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (VERY much recommended, comedy/romance)
Last Christmas (more romance than comedy, but some of both)
Dragon Zakura (pure comedy)
My Little Chef
Lunch Queen
Attention Please

^--all of these are titles I think you'd like, based on the list you provided.

Starlightstar

Post by Starlightstar » Aug 17th, '07, 14:02

Mwulf wrote:Thanks, auroragb. That's a bit disappointing... guess I'll have to keep waiting for something really good.
Starlightstar wrote:Hi I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good dramas to me. I'm kinda looking for dramas like IWGP, or Love Story kinda like a romantic comedy, or slice of life dramas like Nobuta wo produce, tokkyu tanaka 3 go, dragon zakura. Oh yeah and the only dramas i don't like are ones that are big time tear jerkers like 1 litre of tears

Gokusen
Gokusen 2
Nobuta wo Produce
Liar Game
Dance Drill
Ganbate Ikimashoi
Sapuri
Proposal Daisakusen

Thanks in advance
Trick S1
Trick S2
Trick S3
Trick Movies
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (VERY much recommended, comedy/romance)
Last Christmas (more romance than comedy, but some of both)
Dragon Zakura (pure comedy)
My Little Chef
Lunch Queen
Attention Please

^--all of these are titles I think you'd like, based on the list you provided.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'll check those series out :D

Dega Kima

Post by Dega Kima » Aug 18th, '07, 01:08

I'm wondering, are there any drama's that are similar to 1 Litre no Namida, Taiyou no Uta or Sekai no Chuushin de,
but instead of the lead girl dying, the lead guy dies (I've already seen Summer Snow). Yes, I am looking for spoilers here, lol.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Aug 18th, '07, 07:37

^ I'm pretty sure there are a couple... I just need to think about it...
auroragb wrote: Honestly, in the scheme of all j-dramas, I don't think there is any must watches this season, regardless of genre (Juken no kami, First Kiss, Tantei Kakuen Q, Love and Farm, Jotei and LIFE are all so-so, haven't seen Sushi Oji and Katagoshi no Koibito yet).
Which is why I think the drama to watch this season is actually Coffee Prince... *coKdrama!ugh* :fear:
:whistling: :lol

Magicus

Post by Magicus » Aug 18th, '07, 19:44

Dega Kima wrote:I'm wondering, are there any drama's that are similar to 1 Litre no Namida, Taiyou no Uta or Sekai no Chuushin de,
but instead of the lead girl dying, the lead guy dies (I've already seen Summer Snow). Yes, I am looking for spoilers here, lol.
I feel a little bad doing this but oh well...(please don't click this if you don't want to be spolied)
Shiroi Kyoto, Karei-naru Ichizoku, One Million Stars Falling From The Sky, Konna Koi no Hanashi

Dega Kima

Post by Dega Kima » Aug 18th, '07, 20:07

Thanks, I'll check them out. :-) Shiroi Kyoto looks especially good.

mikomiko123

Post by mikomiko123 » Aug 19th, '07, 02:03

waaa... i need help.. ive been watching almost all of them, pls gimme something funny, and give me a drama that has mostkly hav female protagonist, cuz i like it better than male protagonist... onegai!

caiolexis

Post by caiolexis » Aug 19th, '07, 09:23

If I would advise ONE and only ONE Drama, This is definitly Tokyo Friends.

Each episode of this Drama is like watching a high quality movie.
High recommended!

And when you don't have enough of the Drama, there's a movie too :) Will keep you hooked up for a while.

PS: Beware, only 5 episodes and a movie, strong addiction is common. Can't get enough

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Aug 20th, '07, 17:44

Mwulf wrote:I started a couple shows this spring, only one that held my interest was Hotelier.

I liked Hotelier during the earlier part of the series, but by the end I really prefered the K-version so not sure if our tastes will run similar. I enjoyed the must watch, keep you hanging on feeling of the series (as well as the cast) but felt too much was rushed at the end and the twist between Mizusawa and Kyoko caused some issues for me in terms of credibility and how long it was drawn out. That said:

Since Oikawa Mitsuhiro really roped me in as Mizusawa in Hotelier, I decided to try Yama Onna Kabe Onna with him in a supporting comedy role this summer. Lots of cheap humor, sure. But I really love this show, and Oikawa Mitsuhiro is totally fabulous to watch here! The man is comedy gold. Great ensemble. It's my favorite show of the season.

I'm also enjoying Hotaru no Hikari pretty well. They downsized the age of the main character in Hotelier to fit Ueto Aya more noticably than here, imo. Hotaru and Buchou are wonderful characters. Makoto's a bit bland by comparison, but overall the show is fun and has a good cast. Bit more driving plot than Yama Onna.

In Hana Kimi, actually it's Nakatsu and the background characters that I like best. (particularly Nakatsu and Oscar) It's quite silly and slapstick, but for me the large cast of characters is the show's strong point since Oguri Shun's character rather lacks personality. It's rather geared towards females and has shounen ai and some drunken boy/boy kisses. Not for everyone obviously.

If you're gonna try just one this season, I'd say Yama Onna Kabe Onna. The humor may or may not be to your tastes (lots of boob jokes), but if you liked Oikawa Mitsuhiro you might really get a kick out of him in this one!

POD

Post by POD » Aug 21st, '07, 03:56

I was wondering what are really good japanese romance series?

DataSpy

Please help, looking for shojo drama

Post by DataSpy » Aug 21st, '07, 17:50

I'm looking for dramas that have that kind of cute, shoujo feel and are similarly well-written. I've found that most of the ones I've tried have either been more "adult" than I'd like (I like my romances at G or PG -- Hana Yori Dango live-action was okay for me, for instance, while the original Hana Yori Dango anime was not), or just boring to me in another way. I've always been a huge fantasy nerd, so a realistic fiction story has to have a really riveting premise or a bunch of really awesome characters to pull me in (the latter being the case for me with Hana Yori Dango live-action).

I'm currently watching Hana Kimi

Any suggestions for my picky tastes would be greatly appretiated

Starlightstar

Post by Starlightstar » Aug 21st, '07, 22:30

POD wrote:I was wondering what are really good japanese romance series?
From the dramas I saw Kimi wa Petto and Love Story are really good. I'm currently watching Love Story now and I'm hooked.

The1Kaze

Post by The1Kaze » Aug 23rd, '07, 09:02

Can anyone recommend me to a good drama, that isn't tear-jerker.

I've watched My Boss My Hero, Gokusen/2, Nobuta Wo Produce, Kurosagi, DragonZakura, Slow Dance, Orange Days, Lunch Queen, Tiger & Dragon, Densha Otoko, Pride, Sailor Fuku To Kikanjuu, Proposal Daisakusen, Nodame Cantabile, Iryu Team Medical Dragon, etc.

I'm Currently watching Liar Game, Papa To Musume No Nanokakan, Yama Onna Kaba Onna, Hanazakari No Kimitachi E.

So please, if anyone knows any good drama(best if it has some comedy in it) please recommend it to me.

Thank You.

pv604

Post by pv604 » Aug 23rd, '07, 09:55

@The1Kaze

From the dramas that you have watched, seems like you have similar taste in dramas as me, so I'd recommend you try GTO, Nobuta wo produce, h2, and engine.

mikan_suki

Post by mikan_suki » Aug 23rd, '07, 10:19

The1Kaze wrote:Can anyone recommend me to a good drama, that isn't tear-jerker.

I've watched My Boss My Hero, Gokusen/2, Nobuta Wo Produce, Kurosagi, DragonZakura, Slow Dance, Orange Days, Lunch Queen, Tiger & Dragon, Densha Otoko, Pride, Sailor Fuku To Kikanjuu, Proposal Daisakusen, Nodame Cantabile, Iryu Team Medical Dragon, etc.

I'm Currently watching Liar Game, Papa To Musume No Nanokakan, Yama Onna Kaba Onna, Hanazakari No Kimitachi E.

So please, if anyone knows any good drama(best if it has some comedy in it) please recommend it to me.

Thank You.
As for comedies, I guess you could try Elite Yankee Saburo, Stand up and Hero.
And some good comedies currently airing are sushi oji and Yamada Taro Monogatari.

frashdi87

Post by frashdi87 » Aug 23rd, '07, 10:23

himitsu no hanazono also good...romance n comedy..
currently watching first kiss...
looks interesting,,,

squarebubblex

reccomendations!

Post by squarebubblex » Aug 23rd, '07, 17:46

since i suck at finding dramas,

what are some really good & perverted romance comedy dramas? [=

like stand up!!
and thts the only one i know ehehh

THANK YOU :-)

fritzthe6th

Post by fritzthe6th » Aug 24th, '07, 02:11

Hello.... I know its out of the topic but i really need to ask you guys something..... I am a beginner here and i was really wondering what those japanese characters mean during the last scene of the final episode of Proposal Daisakusen... heheheh.. sorry for being a nuisance but i really need a quick reply.... please....

redkittygal

Post by redkittygal » Aug 24th, '07, 02:28

i was wondering if anyone could recommend the drama called Tiger and Dragon... the description seems boring but some people say that its really funny

squarebubblex

its a boost drama

Post by squarebubblex » Aug 24th, '07, 08:17

fritzthe6th wrote:Hello.... I know its out of the topic but i really need to ask you guys something..... I am a beginner here and i was really wondering what those japanese characters mean during the last scene of the final episode of Proposal Daisakusen... heheheh.. sorry for being a nuisance but i really need a quick reply.... please....
AHH i wonder that too

i just finished it and if when i think about it, its not a cliffhanger at all X]

aggiel

Post by aggiel » Aug 24th, '07, 08:30

Hana Yori Dango 1&2 is always a good one. - good romance.
Liar Game is good for starters.
Gokusen is a popular one.
Orange Days is good romance too.

from what i hear:
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, Nodame Cantabile, My boss my hero, and GTO were really funny.
1 Litre of Tears was supposedly really touching.

currently watching:
Hana Kimi (japan) is realllllllyy funny and good! you're just waiting for someone to get together.
First Kiss is great. the romance is getting there.
and an old one: Kamen Rider Kabuto is ok, like power rangers..i'm only on ep3

i'm more of a romance person but that's what i recommend!

christ_freak

Post by christ_freak » Aug 24th, '07, 18:30

Well... I want to watch something that is really good.I wouldn't mind if it was a dorama that has one of Johnny's boys in it. However, I would rather it be a drama with serious/darker themes than normal jdramas Something like Ikebukuro West Gate Park. Although, if there are no suggestions I would love to watch something sports based as well.

Please, take notice of the dramas that I have watched so far with these themes in common:
Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Pride
Ace Wo Nerae - also the volleyball drama with Ueto Aya in it as well.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations

AriBauer

Post by AriBauer » Aug 24th, '07, 18:48

Hmm... I would suggest : Hero (maybe you'll like it), Liar Game, and Kurosagi.

ryoko11

Re: reccomendations!

Post by ryoko11 » Aug 24th, '07, 20:15

squarebubblex wrote:since i suck at finding dramas,

what are some really good & perverted romance comedy dramas? [=

like stand up!!
and thts the only one i know ehehh

THANK YOU :-)
You should probably try Yama Onna Kabe Onna. Lots of pervy comedy and bits of romance. I'll try to think of a few more later, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

Gaia

Post by Gaia » Aug 25th, '07, 14:36

I really enjoy darker dramas like "Rondo" and "Byakuyakou".

Can anyone suggest some other J-Dramas with similar themes?

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Aug 25th, '07, 18:52

For those looking for darker dramas, off the top of my head here's a partial list of titles (sorry, not all are subbed):

Byakuyakou
Hoshi no Kinka series
Kono yo no hate
Koukou Kyoushi
Koori no Sekai / Ice World
A Sleeping Forest / Nemureru Mori
Aoi Tori / Blue bird
Nemurenu yoru wo daite
Taiyou wa Shizumanai
Unfair
Rondo
Akai Tsuki
Shiroi Kyoto
Shiroi Kage
Suna no Utsuwa
Wakaba no koro
Chakushin Ari
Ringu series
Kiraware Matsuko no Issho
100 Tales of Horror
etc, etc....
And then there are a whole bunch of others that are more serious, but not necessarily "dark"....

Gaia

Post by Gaia » Aug 26th, '07, 01:06

That's some list mizune, thanks :-)

I haven't seen many of them but from what i have seen so far Byakuyakou is the clear winner, it was dark and intense. Rondo was good too but Byakuyakou is better.

From you list i think i have A Million Stars Falling From the Sky, Shiroi Kyoto and A Sleeping Forest so i will try them next.

I've heard many good things about Shiroi Kyoto so it must be a good show.

Btw: Just found out about one more drama to add to the dark/human-drama category:
"Karei-naru Ichizoku" (aka. The Grand Tribe), this is the latest (2007) drama starring Kimura Takuya and it's supposed to SUPER good :thumright:

blue_monkey

Post by blue_monkey » Aug 26th, '07, 23:48

Personally i loved the following:
Hana Yori Dango (1+2)
Gokusen (1+2) (although it was very cheesy)
Nodame Cantabile (My first Asian drama ^_^)
Nobuta wo Produce
Devil Beside You
It started with a kiss
GTO
Love Contract
Full House
Snow White

Currently watching:
Coffee Prince
Hana Kimi (Japan)
Why Why Love

I can't wait for the rest of Why Why Love and Hana Kimi (Japan) to come out... ^_^

blue_shoe

Post by blue_shoe » Aug 27th, '07, 06:25

blue_shoe wrote:I'm looking for Jdramas that are like Proposal dai, Orange days, thanks. Please recommend me
Anyone have good recommendations?

Kanin

Post by Kanin » Aug 27th, '07, 19:37

Misaki in Taiho shichauzo kicked it off

First drama I saw was "you're under arrest". From there on GTO and Long vacation knocked me out and I was hooked! :lol

I like meaningful dramas and I prefer romance (usually not in the lovey-dovey meaning but more of Long vacation or Love generation), but I'll see anything if it's good. I don't mind if they're tragic like in 1 litre or like in Beautiful life. It only adds to the factors.

I also don't mind if the drama is dorky, childish, strange or just plain nerdy as long as there are hints of sincereness in the plot.

Just like everyone else says, the no-brainers recomendations are:

1 Litre of tears (10 hours of crying does not add up to 1 litre!!!)
GTO (Issue dealing master drama)
Long Vacation (Top drama)
Beautiful life (Tear jerker)
Kamisama mou sukoshi dake (Kyoko Fukadas best drama IMO)
Love Generation (With Matsu Takako, my favourite love story)
Forbidden love (Love story with Matsushima Nanako)

Other dramas I enjoyed:

Konya Hitori no beddo de (One of the newer dramas I really liked)
Kiken na aneki (Loved the soundtrack)
Strawberry on the shortcake
Attention please
Iryu
Hana yori dango
Friday's lovers
Queen of the classrom
Toshishita, younger men
Gokusen
Heavens coins (1,2,3)
Mukodono
Summer snow
Otousan
Sutaa no koi
Good luck
Virgin road
My little chef
Golden bowl
Bus stop
Shibuya fifteen
Style

Dramas I found hard to complete:

Kurosagi
Dragonzakura
Boku dake no madonna (Despite Kyoko Hasegawa)
Pride
Fighting girls
Always smiling
Bambino
Haruka 17
14 sai no haha (loved Mirai in queens classroom though)
Ringu Saishusho

Favourite actresses:

Matsu Takako
Itoh Misaki
Matsushima Nanako
Kuroki Hitomi
Mizuno Maki
Fujiwara Norika

Favourite Actors:

Kimura Takuya
Hiraoka Yuuta

POD

Post by POD » Aug 27th, '07, 22:32

Starlightstar wrote:
POD wrote:I was wondering what are really good japanese romance series?
From the dramas I saw Kimi wa Petto and Love Story are really good. I'm currently watching Love Story now and I'm hooked.
Thank You.

simply_simple87

Post by simply_simple87 » Aug 28th, '07, 13:26

japanese romance.... of course it's PRIDEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! seriously, u'll love it.. for me, all kimutaku's doramas r really good!! sugoii ne.. also, not to be forgotten yamapi's dramas.. dragon zakura, proposal daisakusen.. also if u're into mystery or detective style, TANTEI GAKUEN Q, IWGP rowkss! currently watching hana kimi, tantei gakuen Q, coffee prince!

polarmi

Post by polarmi » Aug 28th, '07, 15:00

1litre if tears..isk isk

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Aug 28th, '07, 18:10

For romance I really liked Long Vacation better than Pride. Long Vacation is probably my favorite J-romance. Also for romance, Last Christmas is cute. I second the suggestions of Kimi wa Petto and Love Story.

llnzall

Post by llnzall » Aug 29th, '07, 04:25

i just started getting into jdrama like..this summer =x and im just hoping for some recommendations. i read the first couple of pages and skipped around for some suggestion but i also wanted to post and ask as well :p

well im hoping for dramas that deals with friendship (and romance; i guess its somewhat inevitable lol) and it would be best if it was a highschool drama.

im currently watching hana kimi (jap ver.) and i kinda want a drama that would give me somewhat of the same feeling i got from this one.

thank you ^_^

POD

Post by POD » Aug 29th, '07, 10:46

llnzall wrote:i just started getting into jdrama like..this summer =x and im just hoping for some recommendations. i read the first couple of pages and skipped around for some suggestion but i also wanted to post and ask as well :p

well im hoping for dramas that deals with friendship (and romance; i guess its somewhat inevitable lol) and it would be best if it was a highschool drama.

im currently watching hana kimi (jap ver.) and i kinda want a drama that would give me somewhat of the same feeling i got from this one.

thank you ^_^
Is "hana kimi" jap ver. on d-addicts? Cause i can't seem to find it. Or is this is, "Hanazakari no Kimitachi e" ?

KuroRyu

Post by KuroRyu » Aug 29th, '07, 10:56

POD wrote:
llnzall wrote:i just started getting into jdrama like..this summer =x and im just hoping for some recommendations. i read the first couple of pages and skipped around for some suggestion but i also wanted to post and ask as well :p

thank you ^_^
Is "hana kimi" jap ver. on d-addicts? Cause i can't seem to find it. Or is this is, "Hanazakari no Kimitachi e" ?
yes that's the one

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Aug 29th, '07, 11:19

Proposal Daisakusen is a good one..romance+friendship+high school.. give it a try & see if you would like it or not..

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Aug 29th, '07, 15:42

thank you ^_^
You should try Hana Yori Dango. That's the closest feeling drama that I can think of. Lots of romance and friendship. Good amount of comedy too. It's also based on a girls' manga and (I think) was produced by the same people.

Nodame Cantabile is set in a music college rather than a highschool, but it's something you might really enjoy as well. It's got lots of the same manga-like effects used on screen. Very funny cast of characters. Similar feel to Hana Kimi's zany laughs. More humor oriented, so the main romantic pairing often plays for laughs. Great friendships in it.

For something a little more slice of life and less funny you could try Nobuta wo Produce. It's very about friendship, as the main characters try to make a bullied and unpopular girl from their highschool popular. (less about romance, though there is a bit in it.)

itachi666

Post by itachi666 » Aug 29th, '07, 18:33

Im not sure if this is the best place to ask but it seems alot of people liked 1 litre of tears. So the question is "Does anyone know where I can get this drama at?" Ive found 1, 2, and 11 but I cant find the rest. I need them subbed.

Tasukete kudasai

Kanin

Post by Kanin » Aug 29th, '07, 19:03

Subbing group Kioku did that series.

I think they only posted it on JPopsuki.

JPopSuki

Kioku Konseki

christ_freak

Post by christ_freak » Aug 30th, '07, 16:21

AriBauer wrote:Hmm... I would suggest : Hero (maybe you'll like it), Liar Game, and Kurosagi.
thanks i should have mentioned that ive already watched those too. Does anyone have any dramas that involve yakuza. I mean I love my boss, my hero. But I was hoping if there was anything else with yakuza (I'm also watching Jotei).

Thanks

fishyfeepo

Post by fishyfeepo » Aug 31st, '07, 21:18

mizune wrote:For those looking for darker dramas, off the top of my head here's a partial list of titles (sorry, not all are subbed):

Byakuyakou
Hoshi no Kinka series
Kono yo no hate
Koukou Kyoushi
Koori no Sekai / Ice World
A Sleeping Forest / Nemureru Mori
Aoi Tori / Blue bird
Nemurenu yoru wo daite
Taiyou wa Shizumanai
Unfair
Rondo
Akai Tsuki
Shiroi Kyoto
Shiroi Kage
Suna no Utsuwa
Wakaba no koro
Chakushin Ari
Ringu series
Kiraware Matsuko no Issho
100 Tales of Horror
etc, etc....
And then there are a whole bunch of others that are more serious, but not necessarily "dark"....
i really enjoyed kou kou kyoushi 2003, i would like to see more drama like this :-) (i could try watching kou kou kyoushi 1993 :P)

i am going to try out rondo.

Babyitshind

Post by Babyitshind » Sep 9th, '07, 02:22

Okay, Im going to post some of my favourite shows and describe them...

Can anyone recommend any shows like Hana yori dango or Gokusen..

Hana yori dango 1+2 - I loved this show, its AWESOME! if you dont watch it, your totalllllly missing out

Meteor Garden 1 + 2 - Season 1 is good, STAY AWAY FROM SEASON 2, DO NOT BOTHER WATCHING IT... season 2 just drags on and on and is NOT good at ALL. DO NOT WATCH IT!

Devil Beside you- totallly cute! IF YOU DONT WATCH THIS YOUR MISSING OUT.

It started with a kiss- really cute<3 [waiting for season 2 to come out]

Lovers in Paris- Alsoo a cute one<3

Hana kimi [Tawian]- Loved this

Hanazkari no Kimitachi e- AKA Hana Kimi but japanese NEWER version, currently airing and is TOTALLY CUTE! I love this and so will you!

Smiling Pasta- OMG you have to watch this, its like full house but totally ment for teenagers.. its way cuter!!!

Nobuta Wo Produce- Alright show, its the kind where it gets better and better after you watch it. and the friendships are touching..

Full House- its okay.. some episodes were hard to finish because I got bored.

Gokusen 1 + 2- AMAZING! A MUST WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KO One- Im still waiting for some of the episodes but so far its REALLY good!

Anego- Alright.. it got better near the end...

Why Why love- Currently airing but totally cute!

~~ wWELL These are my shows for you...

So if anyone can recommend shows like Gokusen, Hana yori dango, smiling pasta, it would be nice.. and doesnt matter what language its in because I follow by subs!

THANKS<3

Psionic

Post by Psionic » Sep 9th, '07, 21:21

can anyone recommend any good medical based drama?
i think ive seen iryu which is great and i know that season 2 is coming out soon.
ive also watched shiroi kyoto.

any more would be much appreciated. thx

groink

Post by groink » Sep 9th, '07, 21:44

Psionic wrote:can anyone recommend any good medical based drama?
i think ive seen iryu which is great and i know that season 2 is coming out soon.
ive also watched shiroi kyoto.

Dr. Koto series
Say Hello to Blackjack (a dark drama)

--- groink

Jaja

Post by Jaja » Sep 10th, '07, 08:54

Can someone recommend a Nodame Cantibile like jdrama, thanks.

indokid

Post by indokid » Sep 10th, '07, 09:10

Hotaru no Hikari = best drama this seaso!!! :lol

durrellie

Bring on the tears

Post by durrellie » Sep 10th, '07, 17:09

Ok, I've been watching dramas for awhile and mostly all I've seen are Love/Comedy dramas. Then I happen to stumble upon Kamisama Mou Sukoshi Dake and I really liked it, not even going lie it made me cry. It made me realize I like sad dramas so this is where you guys come in. I can't find anymore sad dramas, so i was wondering if some of you can post some names of some good ones(feel free to give a little info about them if you want).

PS: Here is a list of sad dramas I've seen
Summer Snow
1 liter of tears
Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003
Sekai no chuushin de, ai wo sakebu(>.< every ep got to me)
Byakuyakou(my new all time favorite drama I liked it because it gave that sense of hopelessness)
and
Kamisama mou sukoshi dake

I thank you all in advance :cry:

hana~jk

JDrama...

Post by hana~jk » Sep 14th, '07, 09:52

hellooo everyone.... I'm new to Jdrama... hv no idea what drama should I watch... I'm actually a fan of Kdrama but lately thinking to watch Jdrama as well.... I prefer romance comedy drama (my girl, full house, hello miss, goong, coffee prince etc) or romance drama (spring waltz, all about eve etc)... And of course the one with a great lead actor/actress in it... (crdt to a good looking actor/actress :wub: ) However, until now, I still don't know what Jdrama should I download... Hope someone can recommend the best Jdrama to me..so that I will continue to watch Jdrama in the future :thumright: (first impression is vr important 8) )... thanks guys...

a03

Post by a03 » Sep 15th, '07, 00:09

i really like school drama and comedy

i've watched dragonzakuara, stand up, nobuta, MYBH, nodame

any recommendations...?

thanks

a03

eternalblue81

Post by eternalblue81 » Sep 16th, '07, 00:53

a03 wrote:i really like school drama and comedy

i've watched dragonzakuara, stand up, nobuta, MYBH, nodame

any recommendations...?

thanks

a03
Two good comedic school dramas from this season that are just wrapping up with their last episodes I'd recommend are Yamada Taro Monogatari and Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (Hana Kimi) Japanese version.

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Sep 16th, '07, 01:06

Ok, I've been watching dramas for awhile and mostly all I've seen are Love/Comedy dramas. Then I happen to stumble upon Kamisama Mou Sukoshi Dake and I really liked it, not even going lie it made me cry. It made me realize I like sad dramas so this is where you guys come in. I can't find anymore sad dramas, so i was wondering if some of you can post some names of some good ones(feel free to give a little info about them if you want).

PS: Here is a list of sad dramas I've seen
Summer Snow
1 liter of tears
Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003
Sekai no chuushin de, ai wo sakebu(>.< every ep got to me)
Byakuyakou(my new all time favorite drama I liked it because it gave that sense of hopelessness)
and
Kamisama mou sukoshi dake

I thank you all in advance Crying
Karei-naru Ichizoku (i cried my eyes out in the last ep)

Noi

Post by Noi » Sep 16th, '07, 07:37

I'd definetley recommend:

Hana Yori Dango
Hotaru no Hikari
1 Liter of Tears
Nodame Cantabile
Liar Game

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Sep 17th, '07, 05:41

Psionic wrote:can anyone recommend any good medical based drama?
There's also 24 Hr Emergency Ward, and ,although not purely medically based, I thought From the Heart (Kimi ga Oshietekureta Koto) put autism in an interesting light.
durrellie wrote:I can't find anymore sad dramas, so i was wondering if some of you can post some names of some good ones(feel free to give a little info about them if you want).
Just in case, I'll hide it...
Tokyo Tower - Story primarily about the relationship between a mother and son, so some don't find it as interesting as the typical romantic love story, but it is amazingly touching, heartfelt, and realistic...
Beautiful Life - This one is a classic. That's all I can say...
hana~jk wrote: hellooo everyone.... I'm new to Jdrama... hv no idea what drama should I watch... I'm actually a fan of Kdrama but lately thinking to watch Jdrama as well.... I prefer romance comedy drama (my girl, full house, hello miss, goong, coffee prince etc) or romance drama (spring waltz, all about eve etc)...
My personal opinions aside, here are a few that seem to have good histories in transitioning ppl between K to Jdrama...
Romantic Comedies:
Orange Days
Proposal Daisakusen / Operation Proposal
Hana Yori Dango
Long Vacation