ChootiB

[Discussion] ATARU

Post by ChootiB » Apr 25th, '12, 14:39

Cast
Nakai Masahiro as Ataru / Chokozai
Kitamura Kazuki as Sawa Shunichi
Kuriyama Chiaki as Ebina Maiko

Synopsis
Ataru, who suffers from "savant syndrome," has the power to discover, observe, see through, and deduct microscopic evidence of unsolved cases. Why does he always go to the criminal sites? What explains his strange behavior? His sad past will be revealed as the story unfolds.

An explosion occurs at a chemical factory, leaving one person dead. The investigation team concludes that it is merely an accident, but Ebina Maiko has her doubts. When she goes to the site again, she finds a man who introduces himself as "Chokozai." After blurting out a series of words that Maiko cannot understand, he suddenly falls asleep. Maiko decides to look up the meaning of these words. She is taken aback when she discovers that when put together, these words provide the key to solving the case.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/ATARU
http://www.tbs.co.jp/ATARU/

First episode was fantastic. It had a nice balance of comedy and mystery.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Apr 26th, '12, 06:20

Does anyone know if these episodes will be subbed in English soon? Thanks for your help.

chicemj

Post by chicemj » Apr 26th, '12, 06:27

ep.1 is already subbed~

jinzhi

Post by jinzhi » Apr 26th, '12, 06:46

yes, ep 1 u can get the softsub at d-addicts or watch ep 1 with sub at dramacrazy.net

u can also try to get the hardsub from smappiesubs

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Apr 26th, '12, 13:09

Could someone kindly send me the link for the subs on d-addicts as I can't find them? Thanks so much

jinzhi

Post by jinzhi » Apr 26th, '12, 13:16

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Apr 26th, '12, 13:19

thanks so much Jinzhi, you're an angel and this is why I love this site so much!! Everyone is eager to help eachother. I am so happy that I can finally watch the first episode of this drama.

EriKira

Post by EriKira » Apr 26th, '12, 15:54

another mystery dorama
This season is full of mystery dorama and I love it !!

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Apr 29th, '12, 02:49

I'm loving this drama, balance of mystery and gags, love it.

Anyway, in ep2 there was a scene I didn't quite get.
at approx 8:20 scene at the doctors office. I didn't quite get why Chiaki and otoko detective were at awe/wonder when the nurse walked in. anybody?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Apr 29th, '12, 14:27

I'm suppose to be tired of detective dramas, but only ATARU keeps me interested, I was thinking maybe because it brings out autism topic... but I felt it's not only that...

I just realized it now, besides the fact that Ebina Maiko reminds me alot of TRICK's Yamada Naoko, many of the directing style (esp. that involves sound effects) is very similar to TRICK. I checked, and yup! Kimura Hisashi, the chief director of this drama WAS one of TRICK's director back then, so I got my answer :lol That's it! I was a big fan of the TRICK series due to it's quirky characters, and now I'm really enjoying ATARU, because of the characters' quirky-ness too :mrgreen: Besides the autistic/savant Chokozai, Ebina Maiko with her obsession for Korokoro Croquette, the dandy detective who speaks in Osaka dialect, the forensic scientist with his awkward "...no ne..." speech, Ebina's avid fan rookie detective, the inquiry center guy who speaks so loud and always with a toothpick on his mouth, etc :thumleft: Ebina's father is kinda quirky too. I guess only Ebina's brother, the boring normal one :D

I love the themesong by Shiina Ringo too!^o^

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » May 2nd, '12, 00:29

I've just watched 1st episode of Ataru and find it ok. However I think the mystery falls flat. there's just too many holes and the writers use Chokozai to cover them up by "magically" gives clue out of no where. I know he's a very special savant but it annoys me that it would be so simplistic.

Chiaki and Kitamura are lovely! I love their characters. I'm a bit disturbed that Chiaki's character is showing attraction to Chokuzai when he...
drops on top of her or on another scene, was not slapping Chokuzai hand fast enough when he groped her breast. Her laughing "yamete~" in that scene was really
... awkward to watch.

Maybe the main reason is, Nakai not doing it for me as Chokuzai :unsure: and I really want to fast forward his scenes to watch Chiaki and Kitamura. I love his curry soup vs curry udon scene though. The rest Chokuzai scenes was pretty blergh. Not really interested in his background but I can't wait to see them solving Maiko's mother
non-suicide death. I bet the husband killed her.

The 3rd episode ratings have fallen to 10.6%... how was the episode?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 2nd, '12, 01:18

I have to make a comment about Kitamura. He has always been a great favourite with me. I thought he had the most marvellous face which he could use as truly handsome or make himself a horror person in short order. However I have been looking for him lately and now here he is all fat and bloated. His face is gone. I am devastated. Is this just for this role or is he aging. that would indeed be a horror.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » May 2nd, '12, 19:23

^I don't think he looks bloated or fat at all.
Looking quite dashing still and just right for his age.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 4th, '12, 02:25

OK I guess bloated and fat seems a little extreme. However I have pictures of him from a few years ago and he was quite thin in the face which is what I was referring to. He is not fat as in body, but his face was always so lovely and very facile and I miss that side of his features. :-(

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » May 6th, '12, 02:04

brokenparadise wrote:Chiaki and Kitamura are lovely! I love their characters. I'm a bit disturbed that Chiaki's character is showing attraction to Chokuzai when he...
drops on top of her or on another scene, was not slapping Chokuzai hand fast enough when he groped her breast. Her laughing "yamete~" in that scene was really
... awkward to watch.
I don't think that it is attraction. In my opinion
it's clearly visible to everyone, that he probably has some mental illness, though autism is no illness, but a disorder of neural development. Anyway, you can't simply tell, if someone has autism or is simply "mentally handicapped", but you can see that (I put it bluntly and don't intend to offend anyone with it) "there is something wrong with his head". I think she sees that too, and so he treats him like most people treat people with mental disabilities: a bit like a child. If a 4-year old child gropes a woman, they're usually not happy about it, but they react to it in a different way in contrast to like they would if a grown man were to grope them. I think this applies perfectly to her behaviour: The situation is awkward for her, but she doesn't get mad at him because she knows, that he is "handicapped" but is still totally befuddled about the situation.

btw.: I liked the firs episode and I'm really curious, how this dorama will develop.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » May 6th, '12, 07:44

GaussAlgorithmus wrote:
brokenparadise wrote:Chiaki and Kitamura are lovely! I love their characters. I'm a bit disturbed that Chiaki's character is showing attraction to Chokuzai when he...
... awkward to watch.
I don't think that it is attraction. In my opinion
it's clearly visible to everyone, that he probably has some mental illness, though autism is no illness, but a disorder of neural development. Anyway, you can't simply tell, if someone has autism or is simply "mentally handicapped", but you can see that (I put it bluntly and don't intend to offend anyone with it) "there is something wrong with his head". I think she sees that too, and so he treats him like most people treat people with mental disabilities: a bit like a child. If a 4-year old child gropes a woman, they're usually not happy about it, but they react to it in a different way in contrast to like they would if a grown man were to grope them. I think this applies perfectly to her behaviour: The situation is awkward for her, but she doesn't get mad at him because she knows, that he is "handicapped" but is still totally befuddled about the situation.

btw.: I liked the firs episode and I'm really curious, how this dorama will develop.
I know that she realizes Chokuzai is mentally disabled and people will probably say he's as innocent as a child but...
any woman reaction to having their breast groped by a child that's not their own is to quickly fend those hands of my their rack. True the reaction would be milder but naturally they'd turn away from the groping.
She wasn't doing it fast enough maybe out of direction and comedy effect. It's not a matter of her getting mad at him or not. Regardless of his disability he looks like a grown man so a woman's natural instinct should've kicked in. It might not been attraction but the part when he was on top of her made me think she realized how beautiful long eyelashes he has.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » May 10th, '12, 07:59

Episode two was kind of a "mixed bag" to me.
The Good
- I like Sawa, he's such a laid-back guy. I like hoow he literally turned on his toes several times, lol.
- The chemistry between Sawa and Ebina is awesome. I simply love those two beeing on the screen together
- The old couple in the police station made me laugh
- The "golf playing" cop in front of the police station was also a nice touch

The bad
- The case was pretty boring...and was treated more like an unimportand sub plot
- I don't like Ebinas "startled" expression/reaction. Yes, we got it, but how often can you be startled by the same thing?

The really bad
The hole Ataru subplot...I mean, seriously, it's ridicoulous:
First of all, they're using ilegal radio frequencys to communicate. That's fine with me...but they're doing it unencrypted, so that everyone who tunes in by accident, can listen to what they're saying. At least they're not using a language that has the status of a "world language" taht nearly everyone understands, it's not like they're using Englisch...oh, wait! Hello? Seriously?
Those "secret agents" seem to be pretty stupid. I mean, they sad "We got video footage, he comes there to this shop EVERY DAY". They now where they can find them. And their plan is: "Lets check the hospitals in Tokyo if someone with Atarus condition is checked in". WHAT THE ? Why not simply, and hold on to your seats, I'm off the flipping chain with this idea, send a guy to this shop, observe it, follow him home and then kidnap him at night? You KNOW where he is EVERY DAY, you don't need to check with hospitals to find out where he is. That's ridicoulous. That's a plothole so huge, that you could make entire movies out of it...it literally hurts my brain!
And there is the problem with the series in my eyes
"Ataru" doesn't need Ataru. The Sawa - Ebina chemistry is really really good. They're "buddys", they joke around, they somehow like each other. but as firend though they are not that distant, that a romance isn't a possibility.
Why not simply making her the "nice face of the police who's not beeing taken seriously" and him the "laidback cop who doesn't care about the cases on the outside, but actually likes to get to know the truth when he finally got of his lazy butt". Let them solve crimes, that the police "solved" by simply saying "well, it was obviously an illness/suicide/accident. Murder? That's crazy talk!" MAke the crimes more interesting then now, and drop the hole Ataru thing.
I'm sorry, but imho he is not needed in this series. I'd like to have a dorama just about Sawa and Erina, the characters fit so well together on the screen and the actors do to imho.

I hope, the hole Ataru subplot won't get so annyoing, that it makes me drop this series. Actually, the only thing that makes me watch it are the two detectives and because I want to know what's the matter with Ebinas mother and how Sawa is entangled in her death.

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » May 10th, '12, 12:21

I'm afraid I don't agree with the post above as I think that it is the character of Ataru that makes the whole drama so original. I think there have been plenty of dramas that dealt with chemistry between detectives, but it is the first time that such an unusual person is involved in the story. I agree with the observation that some of the plot doesn't quite makes sense but again I am enjoying it for this reason and I am sure we will be more and more surprised as the story unfolds. I would certainly not watch if Ataru wasn't there as the acting of the other characters seems very unnatural and forced to me. Of course this is my opinion and I respect everyone else's too. Happy watching!

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » May 10th, '12, 21:27

Yes, it makes the drama original...but not in a good way imho. It feels to forced. Let's take a look "out of the box":

The US-TV Series "Monk" was great, and while the main character only had some sort of OCD and wasn't autistic, he still was different. The way they did it felt quite "natural" to me. In Ataru, it feels way too forced. And then there are the abilities:
In Episode 1 Monk would have noticed
if only one screw had a flat had in contrary to the others having a round head. That is plausible and simply shows, that he notices details very quickly. But beeing able to see where the screws are coming from is ridiculous. The same with the printing machine: If he had noticed, that he had seen this style of printing before and would've given a hint, where he had seen this, that would've been ok. But that he KNEW what kind of machine prints like that implies that he had seen the printigs of EXACTLY this machine not only before, but he had to get the information what machine prints like that. And they said, taht the machien was sold in Japan only a few times, so it seems not like a very widespread product. That means, his knowledge of this would be an amazing coincident.
That's what I mean with "too forced", "too unrealistic" and I simply don't buy it.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » May 19th, '12, 04:16

My quick thoughts after episode 3:

- Ataru still bugs me with his über-knowledge, but because the focus was less on him in this episode, it was ok for me.
- The humour in this dorama is great, so many funny scenes, small gags and tiny details.
- Sawa-Ebina pairing is awesome.
- Sawa is in my eyes one of the coolest and most enjoyable characters I've seen in a dorama. I simply like how he behaves, his gestures, body language and facial expression.
Does he have some sort of accent? He speeks in a different way compared to the others, or are my eyes deceiving me?
- The Americans
are stupid as ever in this dorama. I mean, they STILL didn't manage to rack Ataru down...and then they're following them in a totally unsuspicous, enormous black Cadillac Escalade, while the head of the operation is wearing a white dress. Why not colouring their agents hair red, so that they're even more obvious?
Over all I enjoyed the episode, though I have to admit, that I didn'T gave a rats behind about the case itself. ;)

noop

Post by noop » May 31st, '12, 06:36

I've seen caps of SPEC cameo in ATARU, anyone know what episode is it from?

doramaworld

Post by doramaworld » Jun 1st, '12, 15:08

Based on just watching one episode, I get the feeling that the case to be solved in each episode wouldn't be the highlight of the drama. Rather, the focus seems to be more on Ataru, Ebina and Sawa especially the things that we have yet to know about them. I could be wrong though because the later episodes might take a different direction. Nonethless, I still hope to see a bit more effort put into the cases because this is ultimately a detective drama after all. I must say, that first case was simply lacking in many ways.

More of how I feel about Ep 1 here:
http://doramaworld.blogspot.com/2012/06 ... -ep-1.html

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 2nd, '12, 07:56

doramaworld, :-)

I just spent some time enjoying your blog. I think it is charming and well laid out. the colours especially, are most pleasing to look at. I enjoyed your drama comments. I shall be visiting often.

doramaworld

Post by doramaworld » Jun 2nd, '12, 12:44

Thanks for your compliments, Peggy! Hope that you will continue to visit the blog in future!

wolforion20

Post by wolforion20 » Jun 10th, '12, 12:23

I love this drama!

I really feel that there is great chemistry between Sawa, Chokozai and Ebina. I really like to see how these characters start evolving each week because of their interactions with each other.

For the question about Sawa's accent, there was a scene in episode 7 where Nozaki broke out into Kansai dialect and Sawa's reply was in dialect as well and Nozaki called his "fake", so I'm guessing if Sawa has an accent its because he's using a Kansai-ish one.

As for Chokozai's abilities, I don't know how realistic they are. It would be problematic even with a photographic memory to be able to tell one screw is made in China and another in Taiwan...and the printing press...

But I still find the drama enjoyable. Especially as we see Chokozai changing in each episode (along with Sawa and Ebina). I wonder if the whole mystery will ever be revealed with Chokozai's past and Ebina's mother's death.

If you look at Sherlock Holmes, you may think that there is no way a man can know that much from a brief glance at anything, but Sir Arthur Conan Doyle put into writing what he practiced. From close observation, it's amazing how much you can pick up. Although, yes, Chokozai's is still probably not realistic. :whistling:

I have recaps up for episodes 1-7 btw.
http://www.asianaddictsanonymous.com/tag/ataru/

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 11th, '12, 08:47

Just started with this drama. Have to point out that Chokozai is not mentally ill. Also I don't think he can be classified as autistic. He is an 'idiot-savant' which is a class all to itself. People like him have a huge capability in one particular subject or talent. they are not at all availabel to normal everyday behaviour which makes life difficult for them without someone in charge. Sometimes they can play the piano or any instrument like a genius and they have never had lessons. It is something about the way their brain is formed and part of it is an exaggeration for one thing. I imagine his is the ability to see details and process them to an acceptable conclusion( for him). He will worry away at something just to satisfy his thoughts.
At the moment I think Nakai is being asked to overdo the signs just a tad too much, although that is how this person would really be. It is a very intense way to live I am sure.

joypilot07

Post by joypilot07 » Jun 15th, '12, 05:45

noop wrote:I've seen caps of SPEC cameo in ATARU, anyone know what episode is it from?
Episode 1
http://i.imgur.com/QbFFA.jpg

Episode 2
http://i.imgur.com/H6uiG.jpg

Episode 5
http://i.imgur.com/T25Zl.jpg

Episode 6
http://i.imgur.com/SljtT.jpg

Episode 7
http://i.imgur.com/H72sn.jpg

Episode 9
http://i.imgur.com/SmiGi.jpg

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jun 26th, '12, 20:38

Episode 7 with english subtitles? :blink

€: Ahh, k...

aiscess83

Post by aiscess83 » Oct 26th, '12, 13:15

‘ATARU’ to return with a special drama on New Year’s Day

On October 25th, it was announced that the TBS drama ‘ATARU‘, which aired in the spring will be returning with a special drama on New Year’s Day.

‘ATARU’ is starring SMAP’s Nakai Masahiro as the lovable ‘Chokozai’ aka ‘Ataru’ who is suffering from the savant syndrome. He commented, “I’m glad that I can act as Chokozai again, but this feeling of joy is also mixed with a certain anxiety. I hope we all will have a lot of fun at the set again.”

The drama tells the story of ‘Chokozai’, who helps two detectives – played by Kuriyama Chiaki and Kitamura Kazuki – solving with various difficult cases using his extraordinary memory and deductive skills. The drama was a big success with ratings as high as 21.7%.

In the special drama, the younger brother of Chokozai, ‘Tasuku’ becomes the prime suspect in a serial murder case that resemble the 1997 crucifix murders in America. Though Chokozai returned to America in the final episode of the drama, he will come back to Japan in order to help out his brother.

The producer of the drama explained that it was a miracle that he managed to get all of those busy actors together again for the special. He said, “It’s such an inexpressible feeling, I cannot describe it with words. I was moved to tears.” The drama’s main theme is the bonds between family and friends. He continued, “I hope we can send out a warm message and give all viewers a great amount of energy for their start into the new year.” --tokyohive

r1ck

Post by r1ck » Nov 28th, '12, 06:31

Looks like Ishikawa (mitsumune kaoru) become respect to Atsumi (tanaka tetsuji) at the late episodes. For someone who notice how and when Ishikawa character change like that?

watashiwachiaki

Post by watashiwachiaki » Jun 21st, '13, 04:55

im watching part 2 of the special now.
yes there's spec cameo again :lol
but im bothered, seems like I also saw hiratsuka (MONSTERS) cameo as well.