[Discussion] Rich Man Poor Woman

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
nezniznoz
Posts: 2
Joined: Aug 7th, '12, 03:23
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Post by nezniznoz » Aug 7th, '12, 03:39

hiks, how can i streaming this drama online?
usually i watch this drama on dramacray.net
but now i can't..
anyone can help me?
thx a lot..

Funnykido
Posts: 10
Joined: Mar 16th, '07, 22:20

Post by Funnykido » Aug 7th, '12, 05:14

nezniznoz wrote:hiks, how can i streaming this drama online?
usually i watch this drama on dramacray.net
but now i can't..
anyone can help me?
thx a lot..
You can watch it here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/OnTae_Im#video=xsnml2

nezniznoz
Posts: 2
Joined: Aug 7th, '12, 03:23
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Post by nezniznoz » Aug 7th, '12, 06:34

You can watch it here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/OnTae_Im#video=xsnml2[/quote]


yeeeeyyyyy..... thx... u make my day so bright... :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

User avatar
doramaworld
Posts: 73
Joined: May 31st, '12, 08:28

Post by doramaworld » Aug 7th, '12, 15:21

For those who may be interested, my review of Ep 2 is here:
http://doramaworld.blogspot.sg/2012/08/ ... -ep-2.html
For drama and movie reviews as well as latest news and resources on J-ent in general, please visit:
http://doramaworld.blogspot.com

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 10th, '12, 14:29

Episode 5:
The Good
- Yoko is in my eyes a well written cahracter. She has the intentions to get Hyuga, she is ambitious in her job but she has her own problems as well. I still think that she will end up with the other chef.
- I liked the "designer" guy and his organic farm. But, 100$ for some tomatoes? Talk about crazy...
- Dorama cliché Nr. X got used again:
The bad guy is nearly always driving a black, imported car that is mostly German (Mercedes E/S/ML/GL/G Class) or sometimes American (Hummer, Escalade, Navigator, Tahoe, Suburban).

The Bad
- Makoto sometimes really gets on my nerves.
- Again: Old people don't want to use fancy new technology which they never used before. NO ****? Again, pointing out the obvious is the solution? Great.
- Leaking Data: Maybe this is the reason, why many people would not want a system like that...including me.

I hope, now that the new subplot with Hyugas partner has evolved, that the story willgain momentum, because this episode was pretty boring I think.

tseon
Posts: 57
Joined: Jun 24th, '12, 01:02
Location: Brazil

Post by tseon » Aug 10th, '12, 16:02

GaussAlgorithmus wrote:Episode 5:
The Good
- Yoko is in my eyes a well written cahracter. She has the intentions to get Hyuga, she is ambitious in her job but she has her own problems as well. I still think that she will end up with the other chef.
- I liked the "designer" guy and his organic farm. But, 100$ for some tomatoes? Talk about crazy...
- Dorama cliché Nr. X got used again:
The bad guy is nearly always driving a black, imported car that is mostly German (Mercedes E/S/ML/GL/G Class) or sometimes American (Hummer, Escalade, Navigator, Tahoe, Suburban).

The Bad
- Makoto sometimes really gets on my nerves.
- Again: Old people don't want to use fancy new technology which they never used before. NO ****? Again, pointing out the obvious is the solution? Great.
- Leaking Data: Maybe this is the reason, why many people would not want a system like that...including me.

I hope, now that the new subplot with Hyugas partner has evolved, that the story willgain momentum, because this episode was pretty boring I think.
Hahaha I agree that Makoto can be really annoying sometimes.
And the tomato price was indeed absurd.
But I think things will get interesting now! At least I hope.

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Aug 10th, '12, 16:07

yes,
I'm still good with Yoko's character. but I really hope she does not turn into these obsessed characters that want to get they guy knowing well that he has no feeling for them. because right now she already figured it out that Hyuga is kind of attracted to makoto even though he's doesn't admit it. so I'm waiting to see if she turns into those cliche characters or not.

what I am looking forward to see in next eps is the battle of two guys to win makoto and the company. we all know that Asahina liked makoto from the start and I do love the Idea of makoto and asahina but of course it can't beat all adorableness of Hyuga x makoto pairing.
Image

counsel05
Posts: 58
Joined: Sep 4th, '07, 13:41

Post by counsel05 » Aug 11th, '12, 07:48

I prefer not to use the spoilers quote since the eng subs is after all out for 2 o3 days now if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, the real conflict has started and we can only imagine how real
internet/computer/techie moguls deal with their partners/directors, investors & employees behind closed doors. This only shows that at the end of the day its not just all about contributing technology to the world but being famous,powerful & rich.

That is what I think where lies the difference between Asahina & Hyuga. The former prefer to be well known and powerful, to the extent of willing to kiss ass (apologies for the word) just to get what he is aiming for (remember JI execs & BOD scenes) Hyuga on the other hand, being (i assumed in his character), a tech genius with a bad temper craved for unending challenges/knowledge and innovation(so the co. name) does not care less. Though he understands he needs "others" to support his idea, he prefers to do it in his own way with less compromise and being manipulated and dictated upon. Both characters have their pros and cons in the biz, that is why they are actually perfect partners. They balanced each others strengths & weaknesses. Asahina - the management/people skills and Hyuga - the brain/idea. However, normally one would end up greedy and clouded by their mission/vision in setting up the business so in effect it crumbles. That's why they end up separated due to "irreconcilable differences". :argue:

So here comes the two girls who will lighten up the mood and put both male leads to the ground. Makoto humanizes Hyuga, making him more sensitive and learns how to listen (not just to people but to himself as well -- carefully). I don't dislike Yoko eventhough I still have doubts about her meeting Hyuga in the past, but she is just acting normal in pursuing what she wants and that is to have Hyuga.. coz she likes him period! Though I go with @GaussAlgorithmus that she may end up with the other chef (he obviously likes her too ---pretending to bicker with her) :P One more thing is that Yoko can probably save Hyuga being the sister of Asahina. As to how she can be a key factor for what will happen in the future, she will be part of such development.

Somehow i can associate this episode with Tsuki no Koibito, where Takuya was ousted by Matsuda Shota. But Shota was less harsh than Asahina's BEST ACTOR performance.

My prediction for the next episode (based on preview):
Eventhough Hyuga approached Yoko and it seems that somethings gonna happen,
i think it will not happen. For whatever reason it will not push through, it will not. :-)
I'm thinking positive here for Makoto's sake. :D

User avatar
totally_0bsessed
Posts: 577
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 05:52

Post by totally_0bsessed » Aug 13th, '12, 06:07

GaussAlgorithmus wrote:Episode 5:
The Good
- Yoko is in my eyes a well written cahracter. She has the intentions to get Hyuga, she is ambitious in her job but she has her own problems as well. I still think that she will end up with the other chef.
- I liked the "designer" guy and his organic farm. But, 100$ for some tomatoes? Talk about crazy...
- Dorama cliché Nr. X got used again:
The bad guy is nearly always driving a black, imported car that is mostly German (Mercedes E/S/ML/GL/G Class) or sometimes American (Hummer, Escalade, Navigator, Tahoe, Suburban).

The Bad
- Makoto sometimes really gets on my nerves.
- Again: Old people don't want to use fancy new technology which they never used before. NO ****? Again, pointing out the obvious is the solution? Great.
- Leaking Data: Maybe this is the reason, why many people would not want a system like that...including me.

I hope, now that the new subplot with Hyugas partner has evolved, that the story willgain momentum, because this episode was pretty boring I think.
I actually agree with you, I think that this episode was pretty boring too. I don't really know but maybe it's because they tried to put in a lot of conflict in one episode and it made the pacing seemed off... but it's just me. :scratch:

User avatar
solucu
Posts: 3
Joined: Oct 13th, '08, 19:47

Post by solucu » Aug 14th, '12, 00:19

In episode 6:
Yoko kissed Hyuga and Hyuga kissed her back :cussing: Though Hyuga was a bit drunk
I'm thinking of skipping a pair of episodes, too much angst. And the brothers are becoming hateful ! Where is the romance between Hyuga and Makoto? :cry:

asialover
Posts: 2
Joined: Aug 12th, '12, 15:02

Post by asialover » Aug 14th, '12, 01:12

yes solucu it's a good idea to skip two episode in a dramas who have only 11 episode. Too much angst? Ah yes i forgot for a lot of people drama must be only comedy.
Ok I stop with the irony... seriously i find this drama very good, with a great lead actor and actress who have great chemistry... and a good pace... I don't understand all the bad critics for the recent episode.

User avatar
semi-fly
Upload Addict
Upload Addict
Posts: 63
Joined: Jun 10th, '10, 01:42

Post by semi-fly » Aug 14th, '12, 01:53

Here's a link for those who wish to watch episode 6:

User avatar
ilovejdramas
Posts: 152
Joined: Feb 2nd, '12, 18:01

Post by ilovejdramas » Aug 14th, '12, 07:54

So I just watched the raw latest episode..
Ugh! I just hate the usual ending that Hyuga and Yoko are together and they even kissed again! :blink Hopefully after that scene Hyuga will fell asleep while saying the name of Makoto. :D hehe

I just wonder if Asahina really likes Makoto. Honestly, even he hates Hyuga I still find it cute the Asahina and Makoto moment. Lol!

Oh well, still hoping for a better ep next week. :-)
Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up.
-Alfred Pennyworth

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Aug 14th, '12, 08:01

asialover wrote:Ok I stop with the irony... seriously i find this drama very good, with a great lead actor and actress who have great chemistry... and a good pace... I don't understand all the bad critics for the recent episode.
Same here! I am really enjoying this drama and it's pace and won't nitpick small unrelated little details. I have started this drama with no high expectations so it's going fine for my taste. I just want more than one ep in each week.
What I like about RMPW is that its love story is not in your face and it's secondary to Hyuga's story. Atleast that's how I see it. We are in mid story were the angst part has to show itself and it's inevitable. To be honest, I'm more worried about Hyuga and Asahina's relationship and Next Innovation future than a drunken kiss between him and Yoko.

We all know who are the intended and main couple anyway. I don't really see Yoko as such a big threat but I guess it can be annoying watching them together and makoto's puppy eyes looking at them in the background.
:mrgreen:

As I said before, even though I'm rooting for main couple, I also like Asahina's moments with makoto and I do want to see more of it. It kind of reminds of makino and rui's relationship with the difference that Rui was not a backstabbing person. :P
Will be lookinging forward to see ep5 with subs .
Image

User avatar
ilovejdramas
Posts: 152
Joined: Feb 2nd, '12, 18:01

Post by ilovejdramas » Aug 15th, '12, 12:54

English translation of Ep 7 Preview (from the official site of RMPW):
credits to:koalasplayground
Next Innovation receives an order to cease operations. Asahina, Hyuga, and Yamagami stay at the office, and under the threat of bankruptcy, in the discussions of how to obtain the necessary funds even Hyuga has lost his usual arrogance. At that time, Asahina tells Hyuga that his confession of feelings for Makoto was rejected by her.

The employees who have been told to take an extended vacation return to the office. Makoto goes to Hyuga’s office , and the first words that reach her when she opens the door is “lying woman”. Makoto realizes that Hyuga is talking about her not answering the phone and she apologizes to him. But Hyuga then remembers that when Makoto returned his call, he was embracing Yoko, so he acts awkward with her.

Makoto tells Hyuga that he may have a lot of enemies, but he also has a lot of allies like herself. Even if she’s just exaggerating, she wants to reassure him at this time. Hearing this, Hyuga is comforted and he decides to sell all his shares and use the cash as compensation to the 500,000 people whose personal data was leaked.

Hyuga tells Asahina about his plans and Asahina apologizes for doubting his methods before. Hyuga has the support of Asahina and he vows to rebuild the company. At that time, Makoto receives the notice from a large pharmaceutical company that she has been offered employment. She’s ecstatic about the sudden job offer, but sad that she will need to leave Hyuga’s side. Later in the night when she is alone with Hyuga, she confesses that she wants to stay by his side and work with him. Hyuga responds……..
I just also watched the 1min preview of ep 7 and sense that its gonna be a good episode. :)
Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up.
-Alfred Pennyworth

tsuki_kurosaki
Posts: 22
Joined: Aug 15th, '12, 06:15
Location: Sri Lanka

Post by tsuki_kurosaki » Aug 15th, '12, 14:05

This is actually quite a good drama and although I don't like girls who are whiny and not strong characters, I adore how Satomi Ishihara is playing Makoto Natsui.. She's so cute :)

And it's Shun Oguri!!! After Takeru Satoh, Shun is my next fav actor!!! I hope they make more than 11 episodes!!!

counsel05
Posts: 58
Joined: Sep 4th, '07, 13:41

Post by counsel05 » Aug 15th, '12, 15:34

Episode 6 is the episode of hits & misses.
At least now we saw Hyuga acting on his feelings towards Makoto, though a miss but let's wait for a while. I hope our wait for their moment is worth it.
That Sakai guy really hits the bullseye for Hyuga. If only he could tell all the stockholders that finally someone who may look indecent/ragged acted more decent than the ones who wore suits. Now a classic example for "don't judge the book by its cover".

In as much as I value the friendship/partnership of Asahina & Hyuga, i really want him out in the end and contemplate or pay off his present and future plans against Hyuga. Asahina approached Hyuga in the first place, coz he saw the guys talent. Whatever inputs/help he have invested in the company he had the most benefits than Hyuga for me (though its Hyuga in the spotlight) but financial gain wise, he gets a lot. He set aside what they have been through since his pride was hurt (second man). Too petty for me.:glare:

Yoko really looks good with that other chef. :P I have seen the actor in a few jdramas and may I say he is becoming more mature now since he gained weight. :P

After reading the spoilers for ep7, i wonder how Asahina will drop the bomb. :unsure:

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Aug 15th, '12, 16:40

I thought
it was quiet cheeky of Asahina to have such outburst at Hyuga knowing well that he himself caused all the problem. even if he was acting, I just did not like that at all. I really like Asahina's character and kind of understand his motives behind doing this. he is known as the 2nd man when he is actually one of creator and founder of Next Innovation. Hyuga never listens to him (even though they show that Hyuga is almost right in everything) but from ep1 you can see that Asahina has more experience on how to handle these kind of matters.

Reading ep7 spoiler, I am confused about Asahina's coming clean and trying it again with Hyuga. the angst will be too short in this drama and I really expected that to last atleast till ep10. I'm sure things are not as good as they look like in ep7preview or summary. there is a definite catch out there.

Hyuga and Makoto... I really liked their little scenes of interacting together in this ep. there were those cute moments and glances between the two that made perfect sense and were just so adorable.

Yoko, I am sorry but admitting that what you are doing is low but still doing it, does not make you a better person. she fell low in my eyes specially after not letting Hyuga take that call when she almost knew it was from makoto in this ep. she is starting to look pushy and cliche
and Asahina genuinely likes makoto and I do feel sorry for him.


I liked RMPW from the start and so far I liked every ep. of course it's not perfect but It really gives me those good feelings when I watch a romantic drama.
Image

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 16th, '12, 15:59

Episode 6:
The Good:
- Hyuga actually showing feelings
- Sadako beans made me laught
- What the workers had storaged in their desks was quite funny
- They showed a bit more of the "villains" character and showed, that he once was prt of the team
- Plot gains momentum

The Bad:
- The annoying music that, again, plays way too often.
- Makato and her "I'm sorry, I'm so stupid" thing really pisses me of. I mean, she went to TODAI if I'm not mistaken (quite elite) and she can memorize documents as thick as phone books in one night. Geee, which corporation would have any use for this kind of useless skill...I mean, who isn't able to do this, right? -_-'
- Why does Ashina tease the guy, who helps him? That's just plain stupid and gets chances up, that the ally might turn on you


The really Bad:
- Makato driving...really? How did she even get her licence? Ashina is **** rich, just call him a tow-car. It would have been much safer, if Ashina were to drive the car by himself by using the left foot instead of the right. That would'Ve been the much better way of getting home instead of letting someone drive, who is completely overstrained by this task.
- The blonde, "slow" shareholder...argh, I don't say anymore about this, just that this part made me cringe because it was so bad

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Aug 16th, '12, 17:46

^
Excuse me but driving scene made every sense to me because having a driving license does not make you a good driver specially if you don't drive regularly. She doesn't own a car and god knows when she has driven one, so her reactions and driving was totally natural. I don't drive regularly and every few months when I do, my initial reactions are exactly like. I actually liked that scene particularly because it reminded me of myself.

And about your other "the bad" point, of course Asahina can treat that guy that way because he has the upper hand. That guy alone on himself can't do much without having Asahina on his side. He knows it very well and that's why agrees to everything Asahina says.

I agree with makoto keep saying she's stupid but looking back it's not totally her fault. Hyuga keep telling her she's stupid and have to keep quiet constantly and in front of everyone definitely knocks down lots of her self confidence![/spoiler]
Image

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 17th, '12, 09:20

Issy wrote: Excuse me but driving scene made every sense to me because having a driving license does not make you a good driver specially if you don't drive regularly. She doesn't own a car and god knows when she has driven one, so her reactions and driving was totally natural. I don't drive regularly and every few months when I do, my initial reactions are exactly like. I actually liked that scene particularly because it reminded me of myself.

She is so bad at driving...my first driving lesson was better then this and the car didn't have a slushbox. She sits totally cramped behind the wheel (hands in "5 to 1" position? seriously???) and is overstrained by everything. If she can't drive, that's ok. Not everyone is "made" to be a good driver, like not everybody can be a good pianist. But for the sake of her security and all the other people on the road, she should train first on an empty day, somewhere, where she can't harm anybody. The car owner is filthy rich and could've afforded to pay some Yen more for the parking fee...or to hire a tow-car, or...
She could've simply said "sorry, I don't have a license" or taken the honest route with "I'm sorry, but I can't drive".
Issy wrote: And about your other "the bad" point, of course Asahina can treat that guy that way because he has the upper hand. That guy alone on himself can't do much without having Asahina on his side. He knows it very well and that's why agrees to everything Asahina says.
At the moment he can't do anything...but if someone would treat me that bad, I would turn on him...even if it's months or years later.

Issy wrote: I agree with makoto keep saying she's stupid but looking back it's not totally her fault. Hyuga keep telling her she's stupid and have to keep quiet constantly and in front of everyone definitely knocks down lots of her self confidence!
Since when did she have self confidence? Even in the first episode I never got the feeling that she has something like it...

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Aug 17th, '12, 09:58

^
You keep forgetting the fact that you are watching A Drama. Even with most realistically made dramas, they do a bit of over exaggeration scenes that usually doesn't happen in real life for sake of adding more drama and buzz to over all story. Let alone a fluffy romantic storylines.
Maybe if you lower your high expectations a little, you can enjoy this drama more. This drama is not made as serious and complicated as you taking it for. Fussing over why she's driving slow, why interface looks stupid... will definitely lessen your enjoyment. 8)
Image

nann
Posts: 67
Joined: May 24th, '08, 00:35

Post by nann » Aug 17th, '12, 10:21

Yes, let enjoy the drama. :-)

User avatar
bluye
Posts: 3
Joined: Aug 16th, '12, 18:18
Location: Vietnam

Post by bluye » Aug 17th, '12, 11:11

agree with Issy :)

counsel05
Posts: 58
Joined: Sep 4th, '07, 13:41

Post by counsel05 » Aug 17th, '12, 13:46

wow this thread is becoming HOT :D
the reactions here only proves that viewers are attentive to the details and not just watching for the heck of it. :thumright:
both @GaussAlgoithmus and @Issy has their point and I don't think these two are arguing, i believe they are just exercising their right to opinion/speech. am i right? sometimes we analyze too much and sometimes we care less much that's why it either fails to satisfy us in one way or another. funny coz, instead of comparing reality to fiction we go the other way around. maybe because we explore too much of what's real and when its interpreted by the writers to drama/movies it tends to create a thin line of both. :-)

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 17th, '12, 22:13

Issy wrote:^
You keep forgetting the fact that you are watching A Drama. Even with most realistically made dramas, they do a bit of over exaggeration scenes that usually doesn't happen in real life for sake of adding more drama and buzz to over all story. Let alone a fluffy romantic storylines.
I know, I know. But I take driving very seriously, and seeing something like this (and experiencing it on the road) really makes my blood boil.

But it's not just the driving. I see it more as a character trait of her, which I don't really like that much: She does everything she is told to...even if she totally sucks at it. I don't see the problem in just saying "no, I'm unable to do so". It makes her too naive for my taste, and pushes her "I am so stupid" character with no self confidence to the border of being annoying.

If she was a poor studend from a 4th rate college with bad grades and no talents...that would be acceptable to me. But to me, a person that graduated from Todai with an extreme memory isn't compatible with the extreme low self esteem and self confidence image. I simply don't like this part of her character. :)
Last edited by GaussAlgorithmus on Aug 18th, '12, 07:28, edited 2 times in total.

sunflower63
Posts: 187
Joined: Jan 28th, '12, 11:25
Location: Italy

Post by sunflower63 » Aug 18th, '12, 07:13

Hi all,
I agree with this last post...the fact that she takes all the comments like 'you're stupid' and so on without blinking is really a little overwhelming. I have noticed this so often (mostly in Jdramas) that the lead female character always seems weaker and has to chase the lead male character around. Why is this so? In any case I am hoping that she will stand up for herself very soon in this story otherwise it will be a disappointment for me.

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 18th, '12, 07:33

sunflower63 wrote:I have noticed this so often (mostly in Jdramas) that the lead female character always seems weaker and has to chase the lead male character around. Why is this so?
I think that this is simply a cultural difference. As far as I know, the Japanese society is way more male-dominated then for example the European.

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 23rd, '12, 00:22

Episode 7:
The Good:
- I like how the Ashina plot unfolds and how the actor portrays him. He seems to be taottaly in his own world, a world, where the company doesn't need Hyuga. He is totally blinded and delusional in his phantasies about money and power. I think it is totally obvious, that Hyuga doesn't need the company, he can make a new one at any time. He will find someone to give im money for the start, because after all, he is some sort of "genius". "BNex Innovation" won't be the same without him, and I'm sure, it will be totally useless, just an empty shell...and in the end, the coup d'état was totally useless because Ashina didn't really gain anything. But rhigt now, he his so blinded, that he doesn't realise this. Very well played and written imho.

The Bad:
- Ashina (an IT expert) left his laptop "on" for several hours, with NO PROTECTION OF EXTREMELY IMPORTANT DATA! Seriously? That is one of the most stupid things I've seen in this drama and it really hurts...I mean, he is a pro...why not at least ahve a password protected screen saver...or close the goddamn document. I accept if he doesn't think it's necessary to have passwords, fingerprint ID etc. at home...but closin the document, so that nobody can see it on accident would be a nice idea...
- SKIP THAT ANNOYING SONG! It plays way too often...in Japanese, in English, without singing, in slow, in fast...it's so annyoing, and I really feel the urge to skip and fast forward the bits, when the song plays. This is by the way extremely reminiscent of Kdrams. The "typcially" OST songs are overused there as well.
Don't get me wrong: Sometimes you'll find Jdramas that make use of one theme or one song quite often. An example for this is the original GTO which uses the opening theme and it's variations several times in each episodes...but it was well done and the song always fit the mood. Here it is just "slapped in" there, and the only thing I think when it starts is "Oh no, not again!".

The really Bad:
- What in the name of god is she doing? She has (inmidst of an economical crisis) an extremely awesome offer from a big pharmaceutical company...and she hesistates...for a guy, about who she doesn't eve know if he likes her. Also, it's just in tokyo, not at the end of the world...so they could still phone and see each other. I have the BAD feeling, that in the next episode, after she has seen the news on the big screen on the street, she will skip the final interview and go straight back to Hyuga...and taht will make me facepalm SO hard!

Her character is the biggest problem of this drama: She is simply not important for the story. She doesn'T contribute anything. I think, it would've been way better, if they had written her and the story different:

First, Hyuga shoudl've been the main character and the story woul've focused more on him. He should be the strange but extremly intelligent guy who is not so skilled in "handling" other humans. She should've been a "normal" secretary from some sort of 4th rate college who was only hired because of her name or nobody else was available or maybe she simply worked at that company for several years without anyone noticing her. Then it woul have been perfectly fine, that she has no self confidence and only runs blindly where Hyuga goes. (Ashinas dog statement was quite correct there) But because she is a nice person (even if she is simple and not that intelligent) she slowly gets to Hyuga and he starts to aknowledge and like her. The whole "I need an idiot to develop this" woul've made much more sense this way.

But the way she is written now and integrated into the story is just a mess and gives a horrible and weak portrait of a woman. And an annoying one too.

- The mother plot got completely dropped. But verything started with that! He only hired her because of her name, he met he earlier because he searched for his mother and she choose this fake name because she knew, that she would get a chance because of this. Also, Hyuga only stared this project to find his mother and was shown multiple times searching for her online. And after he got the adress...NOTHING! Not even an explanaition why he didn't visit her...NOTHING! The plot was just dropped as if it had never existed. That ist EXTREMLY bad wrting...

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Aug 23rd, '12, 02:53

I actually wasn't gonna join in on this discussion but Author Message
GaussAlgorithmus you bring up some really good points. I really enjoy this drama and have recognized its flaws (which I will go in further why I'm still enjoying it) and do wish it didn't go in certain directions.
ARATA is an excellent actor (dude playing Asahina) Even his last role, the character/story was just so...bad but still he portrayed it well as he was suppose to. I think we all knew he was gonna turn against Hyuga after everyone kept saying he's so nice and he's number 2... and I knew he was gonna have a crush on Satomi (sorry if I switch the names I forget their character's names sometimes lol) because it's still a love story so... love orgies are expected lol.

But what I wish this drama did was stayed more in touch with its title: "Rich Man, Poor Woman." Because of that, it makes Satomi completely irrelevant in the story. We see his richness, we see him in every ep how he struggled to get to where he's at... we see his character development, his whole physical transformation because he looked like a dweeb before he got rich (just a nerd) and we see the empire he has. With Satomi... we see nothing. The only backstory we have of her is her family runs an inn and that's the only reason why she met Hyuga to begin with (and that lasted 1 ep. No other flashback) She has no solid background or story... nor even see how 'poor' she is. She's just an undergrad who can't get a job. (not that different than other recent dramas that have people who can't get a job) Her amazing memorization skill has been dropped almost as well. Now she's just that sapless, hopeless girl wagging her tail wanting to do something for a guy that EVERYONE can tell she's in love with but him.. For her to be the true main character in this, she has not solid.

Which brings me to why I still like seeing this drama because I really like how they did up Next Innovation world. The whole story for it, the environment, people, etc is just really interesting. I watch it mainly for that, the theme song (in which I LOVE!!! Sorry, but it really goes with the theme of the company & story.. I think the lyrics fit nicely as well.. both Japanese and English. It's like Majo no Jouken playing First Love variation every 5 minutes lol) Arata and I guess Shun's character.

I think, to me, that is what's keeping this structure of a drama up.. is its strong appeal to the Rich Man world. If it wasn't for that, it would be bland blah over. But because it focus so much on it, it takes away everything for Satomi and her Poor Girl story. She's the main character, but it's her being in his world. I also don't like her transition from being that bland blah jobhunter to all of a sudden, since he bought her an outfit, she now gotta always dress snazzy. Like, when did she even have the time to get all those clothes or do her hair? I mean, I know she gets a decent penny from him but I dunno her looking extravagant defeats her being the poor girl (it only lasted for 1 episode if anything...) Would be nice if they followed more of her day-to-dayness or whatever. Even her 'friends' are being cut more outta the show.. her world is just so irrelevant ;_; (there's a manga that I loooooove, but I felt its biggest flaw was doing the same thing too)

But yeah, the mom thing gets cut out and moved on.. never solved (at least not yet) They really wanted to rush with this betrayal (which they did a good job with) but loosely closed the other ends of things)
But yeah... I think still, I'll continue watching it but it really could've went/expanded in so many other ways than what it's doing...
Image

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Aug 23rd, '12, 12:16

as for me, I really enjoyed ep7. I thought it was the best ep so far. everything settled nicely in their intended places. characters, evens and revelations.
for me, RMPW is a fluffy romantic drama. nothing more and nothing less. It's not about I.T, company ... It's just a simple love story. probably that's why I'm really enjoying it to the max and little short comings and flaws here and there does not really bother me.
well, apart from the insert song (the English version) that it has gone on my nerves in a bad way and makes me cringe every time it plays.
In this ep we see the true nature of Asahina, Hyuga and Makoto come to realise their true feelings towards each other and Yoko's discovery that she does not stand a chance with Hyuga.
call me a hopeless romantic but I see makoto's action are justified from a person deeply in love point of view. common sense and logic does not make much sense when you are in that stage. That's why they say love is blind. That's why she's prepared to let go of her great job offer just to be next to Hyuga. people do worse things than this when it comes to matter of heart and love.
I really loved the moment when she begged Hyuga just to find her any position in Next Innovation and how he told her that she needs to mature and grow up. because he can see that she's acting out of her love for him and not looking at the bigger picture. it was such a moving scene.

Regarding Hyuga's mother, I really don't think she holds any important part of storyline. we have been told constantly that Hyuga is not really wants to see his mother but only wanted to know if she is alive or not and he knows that already. not to mention that amkoto told him his mother does not really want to meet him anyway.
but now that he is out of job, we might actually see some mother and son meeting in later eps. you never know. makoto might take him to her home town...

but I agree with the fact they actually swayed away from the title. from ep2 onwards, makoto is no longer a poor woman. she has a good salary and not struggling for job or money. now that makoto has a good job offer and Hyuga is out of work, they might as well rename it Rich Woman Poor Man :-P
Image

sunflower63
Posts: 187
Joined: Jan 28th, '12, 11:25
Location: Italy

Post by sunflower63 » Aug 23rd, '12, 12:46

I agree that this was a great episode (although I read somewhere that it had the lowest ratings in Japan?) as I thought the acting was absolutely superb. It was almost possible to physically feel the tension between the two male lead actors and this is what good acting is all about. I am hoping that she will become stronger and more confident as the story progresses as she is always whining and following him about...I liked the comment about 'raising a dog' as she really does remind me of one in many occasions.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Aug 23rd, '12, 13:21

^
Yeah me too. She was quite strong-willed in the first ep when she spoke up to Hyuga... it kinda sucks that it's not as apparent anymore.

@Issy
Well never really thought the show was about the company, but that the background story/the way they build it up is what personally draws me more to the show & liking it than just really the romance aspect of it. (I guess because it's not bringing anything really new to this type of genre... both have feelings, they have other admirers who are the obstacles, some misunderstandings occurs.. one person is so hopelessly in love then finally they end up together...well most of the time ^^;) So I guess like for me I'm just indifferent towards the romance aspect of it and if anything, just like the Next Innovation arc of it. (I dunno I actually liked more of the ARATA flirting than anything but Satomi's hopelessly in love character.. eh. But it's only my opinion though ;_; Not sure if it's me being ARATA-biased but I dunno when he does romantic stuff, he brings out something that I just like.) Acting is really good (and Aibu, though kinda that iffy/pushy girl, isn't as annoying as she usually is. The moments with the chef Maruyama/restaurant brings out a better side of her character that you really can't hate)

But even if the mother storyline isn't that important/or appears that way anymore.. it was dropped/ended abruptly especially seeing how he always constantly looked at his phone all the time... "Well, she doesn't wanna meet you anymore.. but the address is right there." "Oh... ok. *stops completely*" like...oh...um.... ok lol.
Didn't some description say this is suppose to be like a modern Cinderella story? Lol not like she has to have evil step sisters or anything but there's really nothing Cinderella-y about it except for prince-looking character. (actually you would think he's more Cinderella than Satomi >___>) But still though, regardless of my personal feelings of how some characters were more fleshed out than others & other tidbits, it's still a nice show to watch. Not life-changing or crap lol but I always do look forward to it ^^ I like to see what happens next. (because even with some of my dislikes, it's not something sooooo bad that it annoys the crap outta me r makes me unable to watch like Hanawake in which I still finished watching lol. More like... 'eh.... why a lack of this or that.....' so yeah don't misunderstand anyone >< ) But I gotta say I enjoy Boys on the Run more than this ^^;;;;;;;
Image

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Aug 23rd, '12, 14:51

@"minah"
same here too. as you said it doesn't bring anything new to this type of genre and it's your average fluff rom-com. of course every story has to build up properly with surroundings and characters and all those are very important. very true! but what I am trying to say is that I wont nitpick flaws from those aspects and relate it to its promised genre. Like I won't say why on earth Hyuga is using that program instead of other one while working on his projects...all these come secondary to over all story.

I am watching it from characters point of view and their development through out the story. as it has romance genre, I don't look too deep beyond this aspect. yes, we have seen so many rom-coms and we still watch them and of course all of them have the same backbone storyline. Hyuga, makoto, Asahina and Yoko are all your averge rom-coms characters. but you still find yourself interested in each one of those characters if they were written well and I do believe they are in here. makoto character needs to be written more confidently and less whining but that goes back to writer's preferences as well as viewer's.
like I don't find her lack confidence too striking or too annoying. I love to see her be more certain and confident about herself but at the same time, she always comes top of what what she asked to do and everyone believe in her potentials and ability. so she's doing alright for herself.

I don't know, maybe I'm watching it in a wrong way but that's how I am liking it. and of course all above are my own personal opinions.
at the end of the day, everyone watch dramas... in their own unique way. 8)
Image

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Aug 23rd, '12, 15:24

Oh I agree! I think it's cool when people watch things for different reasons ^__^
Image

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 23rd, '12, 19:38

Issy wrote:
call me a hopeless romantic but I see makoto's action are justified from a person deeply in love point of view. common sense and logic does not make much sense when you are in that stage. That's why they say love is blind. That's why she's prepared to let go of her great job offer just to be next to Hyuga. people do worse things than this when it comes to matter of heart and love.
I don't think that any intelligent person would behave that way. It would be different, if they were a pair already, but they are not...and he doesn't show much interest in her. That's another point:
Why does he love him so much? He hasn't done ANYTHING good to her, he doesn't treat her good and in fact, she does not know him very well. So...why does he love him so much? She seems like a stupid schoolgril who loves the guy from next class because...he looks good and is the captain of the football team.
And this is the reason, why she will probably be giving up a big career chance? Bad and stupid reason. And I'm honest here: If I were a gril, I would feel offended by her character and feel some sort of ashamed, that another woman is portrayed in that way.
Issy wrote:
I really loved the moment when she begged Hyuga just to find her any position in Next Innovation and how he told her that she needs to mature and grow up. because he can see that she's acting out of her love for him and not looking at the bigger picture. it was such a moving scene.
It was a horrible scene...well, SHE was horrible, and she mad me want to grab her shoulders, shake her around and yell "ARE YOU FLIPPING RETARDED?". At least Hyuga seems to be objective enought to probably judge the situation.
She should definetly do, what Huyga told her to not. Not only because it's generally the smarter thing to do then giving up this opportunity, but also because she beeing successfull and going her own way to me is the only chance to impress people like Hyuga. But the writers will ruin all this buy her running to Hyuga like a puppy...
Issy wrote:
IRegarding Hyuga's mother, I really don't think she holds any important part of storyline. we have been told constantly that Hyuga is not really wants to see his mother but only wanted to know if she is alive or not and he knows that already. not to mention that amkoto told him his mother does not really want to meet him anyway.
but now that he is out of job, we might actually see some mother and son meeting in later eps. you never know. makoto might take him to her home town...
Well, it was just used as the "basic" plot in t he first episodes and got the history stared...everything we see is based on his mother. I don'T see how this is not an important part...
Issy wrote:
but I agree with the fact they actually swayed away from the title. from ep2 onwards, makoto is no longer a poor woman. she has a good salary and not struggling for job or money. now that makoto has a good job offer and Hyuga is out of work, they might as well rename it Rich Woman Poor Man :-P
even in the first episode she didn't seem that poor to me.

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Aug 23rd, '12, 19:57

^ it seems that me and you have different prospectives and intake of dramas we watch. I love a scene and see it from one angle, you hate that scene and see it from another. There is no point in further discussion.
Image

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Aug 23rd, '12, 22:30

I simply hate it if people do obviously stupid stuff and behave like idiots...like Sawaki does. It simply makes me cringe and I don't see it as beeing romantic in any way. It's just stupid.

counsel05
Posts: 58
Joined: Sep 4th, '07, 13:41

Post by counsel05 » Aug 24th, '12, 08:07

At least I share the same sentiments to some that the soundtrack has been played too many times unnecessarily. Not to mention that it was played with lyrics and not the instrumental version if they insist to put on musical scoring. :crazy:

Other than the annoying OST playing, it was another good episode for me.
Again, i will not use spoilers here since the eng subs has been posted for a few days now. :-)
I love the scene where Hyuga and Makoto were walking together (though not side by side).
That was romantic for me since Makoto more or less revealed her feelings for Hyuga but Hyuga has lots of things in his mind that considering a relationship maybe out of the question for now. But at least he did not totally rejected her outright (suggesting Makoto to get another employment is not rejection for love). I presumed Hyuga is Makoto's first love (or serious one) so her understanding of things is not as mature as we want it to be. Thus, a few think she's acting unreasonable or insane for begging a job at Next iNNovation.

Hyuga on the other hand has a deeper understanding of relationships so he did not want to hold on to someone whom he thinks might hinder the potential (of Makoto), knowing that the company is having problems --- big time. If you think about it, its as if he is protecting her from being involved further and not because he does not want her to be beside him.

Knowing japanese people to be less confrontational, I was surprised when the 4 leads openly talked about their relationships (the kiss, the turning down of Asahina etc). Clearly a strategy to see each others reactions to what each word is being uttered on the table.

I just wish there will be more scenes for Yoko and Nogi :wub: these two are just a match. Yoko is just looking so far when there is someone just across him in the kitchen. :P

Sakaguchi is one loyal guy. Hyuga's unselfishness paid off. In fact the loyal employees especially Yasuoka will clearly stand for him. Asahina may have the laugh now but surely Hyuga will have the last. :-) I bet those loyal employees to Hyuga will join him later on or give less support to Asahina. How can the body function if there's no brain to dictate how things will be done?

As for the title, I think we should not think about it literally. The word Rich & Poor can be associated not only with wealth but some other things as well. Like perhaps, Rich ideas, poor in understanding. And if we insist on the literal meaning, i still believe that Makoto is poor compared to Hyuga (Hyuga may have sacrificed his shares to the company but that does not mean he is bankrupt personally). Company funds is separate from personal funds. She is not rich, not middle class and not the poorest as well. :-)

akosieunice
Posts: 4
Joined: Jun 8th, '08, 05:31

Post by akosieunice » Aug 25th, '12, 07:21

If anyone is interested.. watch my Fanmade videos of Rich Man, Poor Woman on yt :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/akosieunice002/videos
Latest episode has been uploaded as well :p

User avatar
ilovejdramas
Posts: 152
Joined: Feb 2nd, '12, 18:01

Post by ilovejdramas » Aug 27th, '12, 15:35

For those who are excited to see RMPW ep 8 (like me. LOL!) without subs, it's already out here: http://channel.pandora.tv/channel/video ... d=46319754

OH MY GOSH! So I just watched the episode and I loved it so far!!!!! :wub: Love the chemistry of Hyuga-Makoto! (see the last errr, 5-10 minutes ♥) :mrgreen:
And the most awaited part is on the next episode, ep 9! Kyaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:
Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up.
-Alfred Pennyworth

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Aug 30th, '12, 14:29

watched ep8 last night and before everything I need to let some tension out
KILL ASAHINA, KILL ASAHINA, KILL ASAHINA, KILL ASAHINA :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
:P back to usual self, I really enjoyed ep8. it was tense, sad, emotional, great acting...I really think if one has not enjoyed this drama after 3rd or 4rth ep, there is very small chance of enjoying it till the end.
so far I really sympathised with Asahina for wanting to be as important as Hyuga when it came to Next Innovation. but after ep8 I really don't anymore. after Hyuga's reminder of how he wrote most of programs and games that got Next innovation to where it is now, I felt really bad for Hyuga for being rubbed from his company like this.
tension between two leads were so great that left swearing and cursing in the middle of the night and thank god for makoto for get me back to my sanity and plant a massive smile on my face right by the end.
It was so depressing to see how big companies work where the founder and big boss becomes out of work and penniless over night and how most of your friend (or pretending to be your friend) leave you on your own when you need them the most. life can be so cruel ....sigh!
as much as I am eager to see ep9, I read some last minute act of jealousy trying to break the new love between our main couple by Yoko. I really liked her for slapping her brother in front of everyone after finding out what he has actually done. but trying to break up hyuga and makoto when she already knows very well that he doesn't love her is just too cheap and too low for her character. so far she has been an interesting rival 2nd lead female and was not your average typical evil character. you could see her and makoto best friends by the end. I really hope ep9 does not ruin her character.
as for makoto, you can agree or disagree with me but I really enjoyed watching her in this ep. she has made her mind and chosen a side.last few minutes of ep8 was such a delight to watch. they really made my day by their exit.
Image

iLLusiOnEr
Posts: 204
Joined: May 29th, '06, 16:59
Location: Bocholt, Germany
Contact:

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Aug 30th, '12, 18:37

if this is drama with korean numbering-episodes, i would like to see a 'Steve Job' version incorporated into the storyline; Hyuga buys majority shares/is offered to be a majority holder once again. Maybe a second season?

counsel05
Posts: 58
Joined: Sep 4th, '07, 13:41

Post by counsel05 » Aug 31st, '12, 10:23

It's good thing I did not expect much on how the story will unfold after Asahina's revelation since episode 8 was just well written for me.
In as much as I would like to curse and beat Asahina for putting no value to friendship, I pity the guy. He is the most pitiful since he appeared to have everything in an instant but he is the most empty guy you can see. :cry: He said it himself, he has lost both Hyuga & Makoto, not to mention his sister. I am really looking forward on how he would end up at the conclusion of this drama.
I was happy that the 3 guys decided to go with Hyuga but after knowing they have none to work on and Hyuga has nothing... I cannot blame them... the economy is bad and they need a job. Loyalty can't feed them at that stage. Makoto is different since she is in love.. stupid it may seem but she said it herself she has decided to turn down everything and follow Hyuga wherever he goes. :wub:

The preview is exciting .... the show is about to end and hope they make a blast!!! :D

tsuki_kurosaki
Posts: 22
Joined: Aug 15th, '12, 06:15
Location: Sri Lanka

Post by tsuki_kurosaki » Aug 31st, '12, 10:58

counsel05 wrote:It's good thing I did not expect much on how the story will unfold after Asahina's revelation since episode 8 was just well written for me.
In as much as I would like to curse and beat Asahina for putting no value to friendship, I pity the guy. He is the most pitiful since he appeared to have everything in an instant but he is the most empty guy you can see. :cry: He said it himself, he has lost both Hyuga & Makoto, not to mention his sister.
You're totally right there. There's alot of Asahina hate going around, but if you look at it, Hyuga maybe an eccentric, but he has everything a person needs, friends, interllect and people who genuinely love him. Whereas Asahina is the 2nd man and how long could you play second to someone right? Only he takes the low road and manages to alienate everyone. I have a feeling there's more to the Asahina story that pure jealousy, but I'm guessing the last three episodes will focus on developing the original love story between the two main leads. I gotta say, for a whiny, sobbing girl who would usually have me throwing shoes at the screen, Satomi Ishihara is funny and charming when she wants to be. Loved the ride, planning to enjoy it to the end :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Aug 31st, '12, 11:43

Same here. He might have got me to the point of wanting to kill him but it came from feelings of disappointments about him. I really liked Asahina and even though I expected him to turn against Hyuga, it still felt so out of his character to turn this evil.
When he offered a position to makoto, when he went after her to stop her from following Hyuga and when he said "now he lost both" all were scenes when I felt sad for him. Loving Arata for portraying Asahina so well.
Image

voldemort
Posts: 115
Joined: Sep 6th, '09, 09:02

Post by voldemort » Sep 3rd, '12, 06:16

I like this drama very much, both the story and the acting.

There is one thing though that I never managed to see... it is the Asahina's love for Makoto. They didn't depict that too well. Untill now, I thought it was only part of his plan to just drive Makoto away from Hyuga. From that elevator scene, it seems he is really in love with her... But I never felt it so through the scenes they had together.

I'm also eager to see how Asahina will end up in the story... for his sister we all know how it will go, but for him, I can't tell yet !

JoeFagan
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 3rd, '12, 08:22
Location: Indonesia

Post by JoeFagan » Sep 3rd, '12, 08:31

At the first, I think this Drama like Binbo no Taro. According the tittle actually :)
But, I love it more than Binbo no Taro.

And the girls so kawaii :wub:

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Sep 6th, '12, 01:49

Episode 8 (which I quite liked):
The Good:
- Hyuga was depicted really nice. The actor played him extremely well, good enough to impress me
- Asahina was played very good as well
- Asahinas character is the most interesting one. Did he say that he only used Hyuga from the beginning because it's the truth, or just because he wanted to hurt him? Besides that, I love his borderline crazyness
- The stroy progresses nicely

The bad:
- The song...AGAIN...

The Makoto:
- Why is Makoto so stupid? I mean seriously? Every sane person would've taken the job at the pharm company. And she shoul've also. Not just because of her career, but with the money she coul've helped Hyuga start a new business. Because beeing totally broke, money is what he needs.

I think, she shoul'Ve been just an ordinary secretary at this company from the beginning. No Todai background but a 4th rate college. She woul've played the cute and simple, but honest and nice person, that stayed with Hyuga. After working in his company for a long time, there would actually be a reason, WHY she adores him so much. Right now Makotos love for him seems like that of a fan for his/her favourite idol. If they had introduced her character like this, they wouldn't even have to alter her character, because THEN it would've fit quite well in my eyes. The character would've worked much better this way.
I personally don't have that much of problem with her character in general, at the end of episoded 8, I really liked her childish side, beeing all "fu-fu.fu" and cute. But with the background that is given to her and the way she is written into the series...it's just not working very well imho. The avarage secretary approach woul've been much better....and for many woman easier to identify with.

voldemort
Posts: 115
Joined: Sep 6th, '09, 09:02

Post by voldemort » Sep 6th, '12, 11:29

GaussAlgorithmus wrote:The avarage secretary approach woul've been much better....and for many woman easier to identify with.
Wow, that sounds so... sexist...

Anyway I quite enjoyed episodes 8 & 9. Oguri Shun is as good an actor as usual. Their romance is progressing slowly. Eager to watch episode 10 and see what will happen to Asahina!

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Sep 6th, '12, 11:36

voldemort wrote:
GaussAlgorithmus wrote:The avarage secretary approach woul've been much better....and for many woman easier to identify with.
Wow, that sounds so... sexist...
If you take a look at the Japanese society, then it isn't. The majority of woman only have part time jobs or are secretarys/OLs. That is simply the reality.
Or was "Salarayman Kintaro" sexist too?

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Sep 6th, '12, 11:54

voldemort wrote:
GaussAlgorithmus wrote:The avarage secretary approach woul've been much better....and for many woman easier to identify with.
Wow, that sounds so... sexist...

Anyway I quite enjoyed episodes 8 & 9. Oguri Shun is as good an actor as usual. Their romance is progressing slowly. Eager to watch episode 10 and see what will happen to Asahina!
Exactly what I thought! Why she has to have no todai background for lots of women to identify with her easily???
Constantly bashing the female character in every ep, pointing out how she's stupid acting like this and that (where actually proved her worth in every ep using her intelligent ) and now no academic background is more suitable for her because that's how us female viewers will identify with her?
Image

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Sep 6th, '12, 12:11

Issy wrote:Exactly what I thought! Why she has to have no todai background for lots of women to identify with her easily???
Constantly bashing the female character in every ep, pointing out how she's stupid acting like this and that (where actually proved her worth in every ep using her intelligent ) and now no academic background is more suitable for her because that's how us female viewers will identify with her?
I only think the "no Todai" background would be better because it would fit her character much nicer. I simply can't imagine a student from Todai (which is still THE elite university in Japan) behaving as stupid as she always does. That's all. That's why a fourth rate college would fit her character (not "a woman" in general!) simply better. Her character as it is shown on the screen would simply work better.
I assume, that the original draft of her character was more intelligent (because in the first episodes she simply was more intelligent) but they somehow changed it during the drama, like they totally dropped the "mother" theme, which was so important in the first episodes. The writer have been probably like "Well the audience likes "cute" "naive" and "clutzy" more then "intelligent"...but she still has the Todai background...whatever, who cares."

And of course it would be much easier for woman to identify with her if she was "just a ordinary secretary" or "just an OL". That's perfectly normal. For the average males in Japan it would probably much easier to identify themselfs with a "normal salary man" then with a big business tycoon, a neurosurgeon or a professional pianist. Why? Because the percentage of salary man within the male demographic is simply much higher then the percentage of neurosurgeons and pianists. And it is always easiert to identify with a role, if it's life is close to that of oneself.
That has nothing to do with sexism. My statement is solely based on demographics and basic behavioral psychology.

Why do commercials for household goods normally show "normal" housewives and no supermodels? Because the potential buyer can relate much easier to "normal" houswives doing the dishes and having problems with dirty laundry, then to a million $ supermodel having these kind of problems.

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 5091
Joined: Jan 13th, '10, 13:55

Post by gilnis » Sep 6th, '12, 12:43

Her intelligence has nothing to do with her feelings about Hyuga. A smart person also can be immature if it's about their feelings and Makoto's acts are directed by her feelings. That's all.
She doesn't care about anything but one person. This is not a rare thing at all and in my eyes not a dumb one either. Perhaps I'm stupid like Makoto. ^^
ImageImage

sunflower63
Posts: 187
Joined: Jan 28th, '12, 11:25
Location: Italy

Post by sunflower63 » Sep 6th, '12, 13:06

I have to agree that Makoto wasn't portrayed up to Ep. 8 as a very smart woman and this bothered me very much indeed, especially for the fact that she was running around after Hyuga like a puppy and being called idiot many times without reacting. However in Ep. 9 something has slowly started changing and I thought that her idea of her writing the messages on the wall was absolutely superb and it really hit the mark and showed that she can be clever if she wants to. I'm hoping this will keep up until the last episode.

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Sep 6th, '12, 13:12

gilnis wrote:Her intelligence has nothing to do with her feelings about Hyuga. A smart person also can be immature if it's about their feelings and Makoto's acts are directed by her feelings. That's all.
She doesn't care about anything but one person. This is not a rare thing at all and in my eyes not a dumb one either. Perhaps I'm stupid like Makoto. ^^
That may be true, people tend to do "not so smart things" when they're in love. But there is a difference between "not so smart things" and "totally stupid".
Passing an awesome job offer just because of beinge somewhat in love with one person is totally bonkers. She doesn't know himn for long, she doesn't really know him personally, she doesn't know how he feels about her and he didn't even show any signs of "really" liking her. Still she gave up this probably once in a lifetime chance. And what makes things worse is, that she actually coul've helped him SO MUCH MORE if she had just taken the job.
He is totally broke, he literally hasn't much more then the clothes he is wearing...but wants to start a new business. What do you need for starting a new business? Right, money! If she had taken the job, she could've provided him with money for starting that business, THAT would be a BIG help! After the business took off, she still coul've left the pharmaceutical company to work with Hyuga. That would've simply been the smart way.
And, think about his position: He knows, that she had given up this opportunity because of him. Noone seeing how unfair this is to him? That puts him in a very awkward and "pressured" postion, because if he fails, not only does his life end up in tatters, but probably hers as well.

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Sep 6th, '12, 13:14

^
here me and you have different point of views. you think all people from good academic back ground are super human and behave in certain ways and manners because they were clever enough to get those universities. no one said you can't be clever and clumsy at the same time.
these people are human too, they have feeling, they can be clumsy or even make wrong decision in life. even genius ones do and it comes from being human. if you are truly in love, matters like money, power, good job does and many more important stuff does not make much sense to you. you become blinded by your love. so there is no way out of her character for mokoto to behave like this. it happens every day, it has happened before and it will still happen in future.

and now to identifying issue. you obviously should know that each drama appeals to certain group of people. each drama more or less has its specific age group followers. you are not expecting households viewers over 40s to identify with a character like makoto. are you? I am not saying that only females within her age limit should be watching this drama, I am saying what kind of viewrs can Identify with her character. and women and groups who do, are mostly coming from the same background more or less. the time has changed. so she is still kind of your average girl.

and the last but least, is the way you are looking at her character and see her acting stupid and silly most of times. everyone is entitled to make an opinion about a character but being clumsy, silly, low self-confidence and esteem is not a proof of being stupid. you say she is acting against her academic background and being stupid when she does actually do something to prove that matter and it has nothing to do with her normal human behaviour I have mentioned above.

I hate stupid cliche female characters in dramas and I have seen plenty of them. one thing for sure, Makoto is not one of them.
Image

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Sep 6th, '12, 13:32

and one more thing I forgot to add,
I'm not saying that makoto is the best character I have every seen or this drama is the best drama I have ever seen. all I am saying that I know I am watching a fluffy romo-com in which its character behave they way they are expected to behave.
if your makoto character is a super human clever girl who thinks straight and correct according to exactly what you expect of her to do, it would have not being called a rom-com. In that case, people will sure have problems identifying with its characters. because real life is not always perfect and people do not act the way they should or expected them to do all the time!
Image

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Sep 6th, '12, 13:38

Issy wrote:^
here me and you have different point of views. you think all people from good academic back ground are super human and behave in certain ways and manners because they were clever enough to get those universities. no one said you can't be clever and clumsy at the same time.
Agreed. But she is not clumsy but plainly stupid. That is a difference.
Issy wrote: these people are human too, they have feeling, they can be clumsy or even make wrong decision in life. even genius ones do and it comes from being human. if you are truly in love, matters like money, power, good job does and many more important stuff does not make much sense to you. you become blinded by your love. so there is no way out of her character for mokoto to behave like this. it happens every day, it has happened before and it will still happen in future.
It happens, yes...but not so much with people from elite universities. Noone from university (not "elite", there isn'T something like that in Germany) I know would behave like that. But maybe that is due to the fact that they're all physicists, mathematicians and engineers ...

Issy wrote: and now to identifying issue. you obviously should know that each drama appeals to certain group of people. each drama more or less has its specific age group followers. you are not expecting households viewers over 40s to identify with a character like makoto. are you? I am not saying that only females within her age limit should be watching this drama, I am saying what kind of viewrs can Identify with her character. and women and groups who do, are mostly coming from the same background more or less. the time has changed. so she is still kind of your average girl.
The "avarge" woman in Japan works part time or is a secretary / OL. Times have changed...but not so much in Japan when it comes to that. It's a fact, just look at the numbers. The avarge woman is still not from an elite university, still works as a secretary or OL, stills quits the job when she gets married or pregnant. That is how it is in the Japanese society.

Issy wrote: I hate stupid cliche female characters in dramas and I have seen plenty of them. one thing for sure, Makoto is not one of them.
I say she totally is! She is the "cute and clumsy", good looking female, that is willing to do and sacrifice everything for the man she loves...even if she doesn't know if he loves him back. She is blindly following him like a cute puppy. Seriously, how more cliché can it get?
Issy wrote:and one more thing I forgot to add,
I'm not saying that makoto is the best character I have every seen or this drama is the best drama I have ever seen. all I am saying that I know I am watching a fluffy romo-com in which its character behave they way they are expected to behave.
This is another problem of this drama. Is this really a rom com? Where is the comedy? I haven't seen much of this lately. The drama completely changed its tone. Suddenly it'S all about stock market, product development and hostile takeovers. Romance? No. Comedy? No.

I more and more get the feeling, that the writers are now in a totally different drama then what they tought about in the beginning. Because what we'Ve seen lately isn't really a romantic comedy like it was in the beginning.
Issy wrote: if your makoto character is a super human clever girl who thinks straight and correct according to exactly what you expect of her to do, it would have not being called a rom-com. In that case, people will sure have problems identifying with its characters.
Not doing extremly stupid stuff that may ruin your whole life and not throwing away once in a lifetime opportunities is beeing "super human"?


Maybe they should've scrapped her character completly. The Aibu Saki Character (the cook) could've been the main lead. She would'Ve been torn between her brother (insert story about how they were poor when they were young and have a very close relationship here) and the person who she loves blindly because of something that happened a few years ago. On the other hand, there would've been the other cook who she fights with all the time, but who likes her more and more, and she takes some time to realise that. And then she has to make the decision. Instant rom-com material, and to me that sounds much more interesting then what is shown now.

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Sep 6th, '12, 23:44

Episode 9:
The good:
- The performances of Hyuga and Ashina have again been very, very good. The actors are really convincing.
- The story finally takes up more and more momentum. The way they showed Ashinas obsession, how he (maybe) slowly had realised what he has done and then his fall at the end of the episode was well written imho. The latter gives a good basic for dramatic and interesting final episodes.
- Actually the "rom com" had again some rom and com in it. Nice.
- Natsui didn't do any stupid things. Well done, girl!

The bad:
- The song...but I repeat myself
- The overly dramatic moment in the office. Why didn't Hyuga simply ask "Why have you been together with Ashina?" No, it has to be totally dramatic, no talking, no reasoning, just emotions. K-drama-style, baby!
- The beginning at the beach was....strange? Out of place? It felt, like I missed an episode or so. How did they end up at the beach? Why did he fall asleep? What's going on there?
My prediction:
maybe Ashinas "partner" told t he police, that it was Ashina, who leaked out the information...if so, it's time for me to do an "I told you so" dance, because I said several episodes ago that it is not a good idea to tease and annoy the other party if you're doing something criminal.
Nice trivia:
The German participants name at that "ITC Summit" was "Willy Adenauer", a combination of "Konrad Adenauer" and "Willy Brandt" two of the most important chancelors of Germany. It's a little bit like naming an American "Ronald Clinton" or "Bill Reagan". Nice little touch there.

counsel05
Posts: 58
Joined: Sep 4th, '07, 13:41

Post by counsel05 » Sep 8th, '12, 01:32

As expected discussions are heating up again :D

One thing that I am now convinced after this episode .... Oguri Shun CAN ACT! I have not seen all of his drama or any of his movie(s) but his role in this drama has shown me the other side of him. :thumright:
The next episode is full of surprises for me since from the looks of it i don't think that it will just turn out that fast with Asahina being caught off guard. :unsure: I smell something fishy on that one. As always, can't wait for the next.

el_canuck
Posts: 209
Joined: Apr 30th, '08, 18:38

Post by el_canuck » Sep 10th, '12, 22:12

Speaking of something fishy, where is E10? Shouldn't we had it by now?
Guess you could say I am a little ANXIOUS.
I also think that Asahina has something up his sleeve.

nophankh
Posts: 223
Joined: Jan 9th, '07, 08:11
Location: PA, US

Post by nophankh » Sep 10th, '12, 22:44

Episode 10 frustrating.
I don't understand a word of japanese but dang he didn't stop her.
Gosh, just confess already--you like her, you want her by your side.

There was one great part, the bus scene, her head resting on his shoulders out of pure exhausted, he doesn't know what to do at first but then decides this feels comfortable, I'll take a nap too.

I squealed.
Image

voldemort
Posts: 115
Joined: Sep 6th, '09, 09:02

Post by voldemort » Sep 12th, '12, 12:33

Yeah, well, sort of frustrating... that episode 10...
But the one I don't understand at all in this episode is Natsui. She really didn't make things easy for him, at all.

The end of episode 9 was so strong : her acting all crazy when she discovered he had ordered her desks from the start together with the other ones. Then him basically accepting and asking her to "break his walls", which is sort of a confession isn't it?

So in answer to that, what does she do? She disappears completely...
Even though she promised no to.
And when he tries to contact her, what does she do? She totally ignores him...
Even though she promised she'd bring her phone up to the bathroom not to miss his calls...

So yeah, probably he needed that to realize his own feelings, but on the other hand she didn't make things easy for him at all.

Also, I am sort of sad he chose to meet his mother with the wrong person... and I'm sad he is leaving the 3 most faithful programmers he had. But well...
Let's wait for the final episode. I'm sure (from the preview) our hopes won't be respected ;)

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed that drama a lot!

User avatar
Issy
Posts: 2893
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 14:10
Location: London

Post by Issy » Sep 13th, '12, 11:26

My only complain about ep 10 is
why makoto have doubts about Hyuga's love for her. She has been with him enough to know when he says "I want you to break my walls and take responsibility for me " he means it's more than just being friend and collegue.
I see why they decided to go this way but it could have been written better.
Image

sunflower63
Posts: 187
Joined: Jan 28th, '12, 11:25
Location: Italy

Post by sunflower63 » Sep 13th, '12, 16:10

I enjoyed this episode as it showed a much 'softer' side of Hyuga and how he slowly came to realize his feelings. Yes I was also upset that he met his mum with Yoko but if he had been with Makoto she probably would have made him confess that he was her son at one point so it is better for him to break his barriers with his timings. I am sure they are saving the best part for the last episode when he will surely confess his love for Makoto...this drama is really brilliant and I wish it lasted for more than 11 episodes, why can't they make an exception for once? :-(

el_canuck
Posts: 209
Joined: Apr 30th, '08, 18:38

Post by el_canuck » Sep 13th, '12, 20:52

Yes but JDrama have specials and their specials are different from others. Like Hero, Nodame Cantible and Freeter, their specials are continuations. We can only hope.
The writing and the characters in this drama have been perfect.

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 5091
Joined: Jan 13th, '10, 13:55

Post by gilnis » Sep 13th, '12, 21:34

I don't think this drama will have special, but yeah, it would be great.
ImageImage

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Sep 13th, '12, 23:41

Ha, ha, ha, like I said before it's time for an I told you so dance. Remember when I wrote:

GaussAlgorithmus wrote:Episode 6:
- Why does Ashina tease the guy, who helps him? That's just plain stupid and gets chances up, that the ally might turn on you
;)

ok, ok, Episode 10:
The Good:
- Hyuga finally sees, that Natsui really lvoes him, even if it's jusst through her parents
- Natsui finally wants to achieve something on her own, finally!
- They remembered the plot about Hyugas mother. Or maybe the original writer was back. Anyway, Hyuga mets his mom in a decent way that I liked.

The Bad:
- The song...6 times is really much more then enough...
- She isn't picking up his calls. She doesn't write 2I'm find" nothing. Thats just unfair and not very nice. I would be quite pissed, if someone I care about treated me like that. And come on girl: He cares about you, just be patient a little longer. Jeez.

The Kdrama style:
- This episode again had several scenes so typically for a Kdrama. :D

The ... why is everything so hard:
- Why can't they speak their mind at the end? Why do they have to drag it out in the next episode? What is so hard about beeing together but not working in the same place? Shes working in Tokyo, not in Hokkaido, Okinawa or in another country. So, yeah, you cant be together 24/7...what'S the problem about it? Most couples can't because they work in different places. I really don't see their problem.
The spoiler for next episode:
I fear, that it willl be a cliché "showdown" at the airport because her company wants to send her away.

el_canuck
Posts: 209
Joined: Apr 30th, '08, 18:38

Post by el_canuck » Sep 14th, '12, 02:18

The funny thing about K & J Dramas, all through the drama when someone is about to say something important, the cell phone rings. The cell phone has become a major part of life and the dramas. BUT, when someone is leaving or "flying out", then one of the stars is running to the airport instead of just using the cell phone. Cell phones are just not as dramatic as running through an airport.

Hope this show does not end like that. KDramas they usually say they love each other usually 4 or 5 eps before the end and the last eps are usually defending their love.

sunflower63
Posts: 187
Joined: Jan 28th, '12, 11:25
Location: Italy

Post by sunflower63 » Sep 14th, '12, 07:00

This show can't end like Kdramas as the next episode will be the last so they will probably declare their love to each other in the very last minute like it is usually done in Jdramas. In any case, I think she did the right thing to totally disappear and not answer his phonecalls as it was the only way for him to realise how much he cared for her and wanted to see her.

voldemort
Posts: 115
Joined: Sep 6th, '09, 09:02

Post by voldemort » Sep 14th, '12, 10:48

Yeah I fear we'll get the last minute at airport declaration thingy. I hate so much such endings.

The start of the drama was very classical and cliché, so maybe they'll do that for the end too... now I'm still hoping they'll do something different ;)

Avalokita
Posts: 5
Joined: May 5th, '11, 19:53

Post by Avalokita » Sep 14th, '12, 14:27

el_canuck wrote:BUT, when someone is leaving or "flying out", then one of the stars is running to the airport instead of just using the cell phone. Cell phones are just not as dramatic as running through an airport.
Yeah! It's ridiculous that Tokyo is such a huge city but when someone really has to hurry to get somewhere, they always run!

User avatar
crazypilovee
Posts: 63
Joined: Aug 15th, '07, 22:17

Post by crazypilovee » Sep 15th, '12, 06:25

ep 10 was so heart wrenching!! it is kinda lame for natsui to stop all contact w/ toru, but i can sympathize with how she wanted to stop being so attached to him and end her painful "unrequited" love. it seemed like she felt he was too good for her and wouldn't possibly like her. the audience and bystanders obviously see he does like her, but as she is pretty clueless (in certain areas) and has low self esteem, she just couldn't see it... so instead of having a suffocating one-sided love she wanted to escape all that and go accomplish something by herself.

el_canuck wrote:The funny thing about K & J Dramas, all through the drama when someone is about to say something important, the cell phone rings. The cell phone has become a major part of life and the dramas. BUT, when someone is leaving or "flying out", then one of the stars is running to the airport instead of just using the cell phone. Cell phones are just not as dramatic as running through an airport.
well also, if you were to confess your feelings for the first time, saying it in person would be more appropriate than merely a phone call.

User avatar
GaussAlgorithmus
Posts: 741
Joined: Jun 12th, '05, 19:56
Location: Germany
Germany

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Sep 15th, '12, 06:37

crazypilovee wrote:ep 10 was so heart wrenching!! it is kinda lame for natsui to stop all contact w/ toru, but i can sympathize with how she wanted to stop being so attached to him and end her painful "unrequited" love. it seemed like she felt he was too good for her and wouldn't possibly like her. the audience and bystanders obviously see he does like her, but as she is pretty clueless (in certain areas) and has low self esteem, she just couldn't see it... so instead of having a suffocating one-sided love she wanted to escape all that and go accomplish something by herself.
She could've told him that she's in love with him.

el_canuck wrote:well also, if you were to confess your feelings for the first time, saying it in person would be more appropriate than merely a phone call.
You can still use the phone to tell the other person not to leave because something super urgent and to wait at the airport.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests