Mahoro Ekimae Bangaichi

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
in2sky
Japan

Mahoro Ekimae Bangaichi

Post by in2sky » Jan 21st, '13, 08:58

What have you thought of the first episode?

Since there was no english subs, I watched it raw, and didn't get everything.

But basicly, I love this show, it's well shot and the acting of both of them is great.
They are both good actors, especially Ryuhei Matsuda.

I'm surprised a Matsuda drama has not been picked up for fansubbing :(

Let's share our thoughts

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 21st, '13, 19:54

I really liked the movie and was looking forward to the series.
It's not bad, but it just doesn't have the same feel as the movie. Tbh I think it'll be rather boring if u haven't watched the movie cause there's no explanation bout the characters or how they got to team up at Tada's...
Thought I just didn't relate to the prowrestling theme in ep 1 but ep 2 with the nerdy guy looking for that karaoke model was even worse...Just rather cliched boring stories thus far and it's not as if that screenwriter was known for great story developpment :unsure:
The only thing that makes me wanna keep watching is the fact that Matsuda's in it and the odd relationship between Tada and Gyoten with all their bickering and sweet moments. Plus I kinda enjoy seeing them enjoy their smokes on screen :mrgreen: Well after 2 eps there's still hope it'll come around.
Also still waiting for guest appearances of Omori, Arai and Kora. Oh and the soundtrack is lovely...

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Jan 22nd, '13, 11:37

yup the movie is a must see before watching the tv show

hey9

Post by hey9 » Jan 29th, '13, 04:31

Is there any english subs for either the movie or the show? From what I saw of the first episode, it seems like a pretty funny and slice-of-life style drama (with an appropriate amount of weirdness thrown in). Ryuhei Matsuda can't really do anything wrong in my eyes, and this is the first time I've actually found Eita attractive or at least not been irritated by his face. I'd like to keep watching.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jan 29th, '13, 09:33

I know fansubbing is strictly a volunteer effort, but translating Matsuda Ryuhei doramas ought to be THE LAW. :lol
I`m going to watch the movie first (alas English subs are nowhere to be found). Then I`ll enjoy the incomprehensibility of the television series. :D
I`m in total agreement with the Eita is finally looking hot sentiment. Now that he is older-looking, and has put dreck like ``Sunao ni narenakute`` far behind him, I`m beginning to find him very appealing. So glad this talented actor seems to have escaped the clutches of his hysterical fans.

As for Matsuda Ryuhei, it was love at first sight in ``Taboo`` or ``Gohatto``.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Feb 1st, '13, 11:00

Apparently, English subs are forthcoming (according to comments I've read in a related thread). Yay!
The television version, not surprisingly, has a less "artistic" feel to it than the movie, despite employing the same cast and crew. The show looks pretty good for a TV Tokyo "24" offering, however.
Episode one had me laughing out loud in some parts and shaking my head while muttering "not funny" in others. Other viewers would have different reactions to the exact same gags or jokes. We're all coming from a different place. For example:
The gag when the "stun gun" wrestler repeatedly pokes a taser into Gyouten's chest was very unpleasant for me. The police have killed unarmed civilians in my city doing this (and gotten away with it), so this part of the show was painful to watch. Perhaps a different "take" would have been funnier, who knows. I also find it strange that civilians can carry tasers in Japan. They are absolutely forbidden outside of law enforcement in my country, but I digress...
Some folks will find Tada and Gyouten's juvenile wrestling antics (hand to hand combat with door panels, those unflattering costumes) pretty lame, but I was laughing my butt off. I actually found the little girl cheering on her dad during his (fake) bloody wrestling match hilarious, which shows I have a pretty warped sense of humour. :D
So far, a mix of belly laughs and grimaces. Bring on episode two!

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Feb 1st, '13, 11:08

you can find eng sub for the movie here http://paroissien.com/

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Feb 1st, '13, 11:16

Many thanks, furransu!
I can`t wait to watch the movie and actually understand what is going on instead of making pathetic guesses. :-)

Murai82

Post by Murai82 » Feb 6th, '13, 09:45

It would be cool to see this subbed, but unfortunately i can't even find japanese subs in the usual sources... i don't know why (maybe tv tokyo doesn't release japanese subs?) but that would mean that it will be difficult that someone will sub it. :-(

Murai82

Post by Murai82 » Feb 6th, '13, 09:51

rootabega wrote:Apparently, English subs are forthcoming (according to comments I've read in a related thread). Yay!
The television version, not surprisingly, has a less "artistic" feel to it than the movie, despite employing the same cast and crew. The show looks pretty good for a TV Tokyo "24" offering, however.
Episode one had me laughing out loud in some parts and shaking my head while muttering "not funny" in others. Other viewers would have different reactions to the exact same gags or jokes. We're all coming from a different place. For example:
The gag when the "stun gun" wrestler repeatedly pokes a taser into Gyouten's chest was very unpleasant for me. The police have killed unarmed civilians in my city doing this (and gotten away with it), so this part of the show was painful to watch. Perhaps a different "take" would have been funnier, who knows. I also find it strange that civilians can carry tasers in Japan. They are absolutely forbidden outside of law enforcement in my country, but I digress...
Some folks will find Tada and Gyouten's juvenile wrestling antics (hand to hand combat with door panels, those unflattering costumes) pretty lame, but I was laughing my butt off. I actually found the little girl cheering on her dad during his (fake) bloody wrestling match hilarious, which shows I have a pretty warped sense of humour. :D
So far, a mix of belly laughs and grimaces. Bring on episode two!
That would be great news, where did you hear about mahoro ekimae being subbed?
I'm loving the actual Eita. He grew up a lot as an actor (his part in Soredemo was absolutely great, he made me cry a lot) and i was so pissed when they put him out of Lucky Seven.
I want to watch the movie before the drama but then i think i'll hang around in this topic, seeing some fans of Tada's do it all it's great.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Feb 6th, '13, 10:33

Murai82:

I saw a mention of subs in this thread:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_126974.htm
Please don't go after the source, I think they already have alot on their plate. :-)

Murai82

Post by Murai82 » Feb 6th, '13, 10:39

rootabega wrote:Murai82:

I saw a mention of subs in this thread:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_126974.htm
Please don't go after the source, I think they already have alot on their plate. :-)
Oh no, i won't, don't worry.
That would be great, it would be cool to know more about it.
But the lack of japanese subs is what "scares" me a bit.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Feb 7th, '13, 20:30

rootabega wrote:I know fansubbing is strictly a volunteer effort, but translating Matsuda Ryuhei doramas ought to be THE LAW. :lol
I`m going to watch the movie first (alas English subs are nowhere to be found). Then I`ll enjoy the incomprehensibility of the television series. :D
I`m in total agreement with the Eita is finally looking hot sentiment. Now that he is older-looking, and has put dreck like ``Sunao ni narenakute`` far behind him, I`m beginning to find him very appealing. So glad this talented actor seems to have escaped the clutches of his hysterical fans.

As for Matsuda Ryuhei, it was love at first sight in ``Taboo`` or ``Gohatto``.
Lol I agree with everything you've said. My nickname for Eita used to be Monchichi, but maybe just being in Ryuhei's vicinity makes him 100x better :D Glad to hear there might be subs for this.

Murai82

Post by Murai82 » Feb 15th, '13, 10:02

Finally got around watching ep. 1 and 2 raw. (japanese hardsubs)
Unfortunately i didn't get everything and lost some bit here and there, but i really enjoyed the friendship between Gyoten and Tada. Oh and the opening theme is awesome, musically wise and visually too!
There were many hilarious moments, for example:
- episode one, when they are training with the wrestler guy and Tada receives a heavy stungun dose. Sooo funny. :lol
- in episode two when they go to that yakuza to ask infos about the girl of the video, i thought i would die laughing when gyoten couldn't contain his laughter. I don't know why, but it was really hilarious
- there are things i'm not sure of, of course, having watched it without subs.
In episode 1, for example, the wrestler wanted to retire and have a final match.
I didn't understand why he asked Tada and Gyoten to be his oppenents though. Shouldn't he have asked some of his usual opponents? and i didn't understand what was the reason of his friend's anger.
- in the second episode i didn't understand the connection between the main character and the girl in the video. why did he want to find her? was it only because he was a fan?
Still no subs, and no japanese subs either. The only japanese subs i've seen are the one embedded in the video. It's a shame because they can't be extracted. :cry:
Great series, i'm looking forward the rest of the episodes.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Feb 19th, '13, 04:27

Great news! Subs for Ep. 1 are in, thanks to the EarthBuri Team. :cheers:

This show is such a beautiful example of "bromance". :D The ending credits sequence is an endearing case in point. The opening credits sequence reminds me of a Cornelius video (kids, bikes, bubbles going backwards). Cornelius is a certified musical/visual genius, so this is nothing but a good thing.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Feb 19th, '13, 04:41

Hey9:
I've been laughing at your Monchichi reference all week long. :lol

I remember this commercial from my childhood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3cNTl40VI

OMG - EITA and Monchichi - separated at birth. :rofl: and both from Japan :mrgreen:

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Feb 24th, '13, 05:12

Watching Episode 2 with the spiffy new English subs. I had to stop the video just after the 10-minute mark because I was making myself sick from laughing so hard. I'll continue after I've settled down a bit.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Mar 12th, '13, 07:04

Here's the PV for the ending theme, Shintaro Sakamoto's "I Don't Know What's Normal":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okwHn3PEWwM
The video is an interesting montage of photos taken in the Senju neighbourhood of Tokyo's Adachi ward.
Sakamoto is the ex-leader of the legendary psych-garage band Yura Yura Tenkoku. He released his first solo album, "How to Live with a Phantom" on Zelone Records last year, a smooth and funky joyride. Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0gcvbzgIw
This show, unlike mooost other doramas, has musical cred coming out of its pores. :music:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 12th, '13, 12:19

@ rootabega totally agree with you bout the music. Glad they chose Sakamoto to do the score. XD The movie already had a great theme by one of my fav bands, Quruli and I'm glad they managed to keep this up for the drama. Never cared for Flower Companyz but Beautiful Dreamer is a nice song, too =)

Finally managed to give this another try and I'm loving it. I'm alternately laughing out loud and made to think bout the small but important things in life. At ep 5 and their opening dialogue already made me laugh tears. The Mitsuo reference almost killed me cause I suddenly saw Eita's chara from Saikou no Rikon sitting there [Also thx to Earthburi for the notes, now I know it's Aida Mitsuo and not Hamasaki he refered to] :lol

antspace

Post by antspace » Mar 12th, '13, 18:59

Oh my god! The Shintaro Sakamoto clip was so cool. I sooo want to go back to Tokyo! :alcoholic:

antspace

Post by antspace » Mar 12th, '13, 19:16

Second clip was pretty cool too : )

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Mar 12th, '13, 23:17

arakira and antspace- my music friends on DA! 8)
I just have to post one more link for you.

http://wonkytranslation.blogspot.ca/201 ... -post.html

This has the PV for the Sakamoto song "You Just Decided" with a translation into English of the lyrics. This song is like a drug!! I have to get this record now. :faint:

Oh, yes, looking at pictures of Tokyo makes me want to run back to Japan, even though I just came back ten weeks ago :lol. Actually, I tend to stay in Kyoto, so I really want to spend some time in Tokyo. Quruli is like the patron saint band of Kyoto and their Mahoro Ekimae soundtrack is fantastic. I was watching the movie thinking this is how musical scoring should be done.

The weird thing is that there was not one exciting live show on in Kyoto during my trip - it was a total musical drought. Oh, well... must start saving pennies for next trip. :unsure:

PS - will rewind ep 5 to catch the Mitsuo reference - I am a huge fan of SNR..

antspace

Post by antspace » Mar 21st, '13, 19:46

Wow! another nice ep! This just doesn't go stale :-) It was all very predictable, but somehow that doesn't matter in this series.
Happy to see the preview as well. A Saikou no Rikon reunion 8)

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » Mar 22nd, '13, 02:01

antspace wrote:Wow! another nice ep! This just doesn't go stale :-) It was all very predictable, but somehow that doesn't matter in this series.
Happy to see the preview as well. A Saikou no Rikon reunion 8)
It seems Hitoshi Ohne doesn't repeat his mistake in Moteki. Moteki started promising but got stalled once it was in episode 5. Meanwhile Mahoro continues good trends and maintains its uniqueness and charm.

Really suprised when I see Yoko Maki will be in episode 10! The guest casts are really good, it's like an all star drama

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 2nd, '13, 03:55

I've reached the final ep with the "benri brothers" and all I can say is:

What's going to happen with our boys??

The final ending left me dying for more stories...

antspace

Post by antspace » Apr 2nd, '13, 22:34

Just have to say: coolest series ever! 8) 8) 8)
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid have found their Japanese equivalents! :D

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » Apr 3rd, '13, 00:57

^^^

Agree!!! Definitely the best of the season

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Apr 3rd, '13, 02:01

antspace wrote:Just have to say: coolest series ever! 8) 8) 8)
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid have found their Japanese equivalents! :D
THIS>>>Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid<<<THIS

And Saikou no Rikon is Japan's answer to Woody Allen's "Hannah and her Sisters". There's some amazing parallels between them.

What a great dorama season this was! Sigh... :heart:

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Apr 6th, '13, 08:00

amazing show. I don't know how I missed it when it was airing, but I rocketed through the season all today. Definitely one my new favorites.
Ep 7 pistol episode had me on the floor. Dropping the candies to hide the bullet shell and russian roullete.

Murai82

Post by Murai82 » Apr 6th, '13, 09:40

koitsu wrote:amazing show. I don't know how I missed it when it was airing, but I rocketed through the season all today. Definitely one my new favorites.
Ep 7 pistol episode had me on the floor. Dropping the candies to hide the bullet shell and russian roullete.
Koitsu, i agree with you on Ep.7! Really hilarious.
I must say that i enjoyed this series to the fullest, from the lightest and most hilarious episodes to the more serious last 4 episodes, with Maki Yoko and the two joshi-kosei arcs.
One of the best dorama this season, together with shotenin michiru and of course saikou no rikon. A great season overall.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Apr 10th, '13, 19:14

Finally found some time to watch the finale...Couldn't bring myself to do so cause I didn't want this show to end. :alcoholic:
I'll miss Tada and Gyoten. Had my issues with the first couple of eps but now I wish it was just going on forever like the old American series used to... Well the ending screamed for at least a special... :unsure:

hey9

Post by hey9 » May 18th, '13, 00:02

This is now in my recommended jdramas list.

Everything in this show hits the right notes for me.

Even my dislike for Eita has 180'd. (On a sidenote, I also recently 180'd on Tamaki Hiroki after seeing him in Kagi no Kakatta. I now think all Japanese actors I dislike should play aimless drifters at one point in their careers...makes them much more likable to me lol).

At times it feels like a slice-of-life drama, and at the same time a lot of episodes deal with dark, violent, or sexual matter that's unnerving and disturbing.

I liked that there were a lot of twisted happy endings for episodes.

But the end of the series still felt hopeful. Can't say I'm sad to see it end, the show leaves me with a content feeling.

The opening and ending songs are freaking amazing (I play them on my mp3 player all the time).

People who like this show might also like Sexy Voice and Robo.

This was a very disjointed post, but oh well...