[Discussion] Kazoku Game (Sakurai Sho, Kamiki Ryunosuke)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
brokenparadise

[Discussion] Kazoku Game (Sakurai Sho, Kamiki Ryunosuke)

Post by brokenparadise » May 22nd, '13, 01:32

Title: Kazoku Game (家族ゲーム)
Format: Renzoku
Genre: Family, school
Theme song: Endless Game by Arashi
Info site: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kazoku_Game
Subtitles thread: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_133668.htm

Synopsis:
The Family Game was originally an award winning novel by Honma Yohei that was adapted for television drama and film. 30 years later, the story returns to the screen again on Fuji TV, Wednesday nights. Sakurai Sho stars in this troubling drama as the private tutor Yoshimoto Koya. Koya becomes a tutor to a student, Numata Shigeyuki, an underachiever on the verge of dropping out of middle school. Expecting immediate results, Shigeyuki’s father makes a deal with Koya that if he could make Shigeyuki return to school within a week, he would receive a 100,000 yen bonus. Koya accepts the offer, replying that he would only need 5 days to complete the mission but demands that no one should interfere with his methodology in doing so.
A handsome face with a reckless mouth, Koya is a wacky unpredictable pro tutor. How will he save Shigeyuki, a boy who has been bullied in school, betrayed by his best friend, and become a shut-in at home? How will he educate Shigeyuki to change his ways? What is Koya’s motivation in teaching? Koya’s "education" is nothing like anyone has ever imagined. You just have to see it yourself to believe it! -- Fuji TV

Episode Ratings:
Episode 1 - 12.0%
Episode 2 - 13.7%
Episode 3 - 11.1%
Episode 4 - 12.2%
Episode 5 - 12.4%
Episode 6 - 12.9%
Episode 7 - ??% (15 minutes extended)
Episode 8 -
Episode 9 -
Episode 10 -

The drama deserves a thread. What do you guys think of the drama so far? I thought it is excellent. I personally don't like some of the cast (the father and Kutsuna Shiori) but the rest are great. Sho has some excellent quotable lines in this drama. The script is written by Muto Shogo who also wrote for Densha Otoko and Joker.
Last edited by brokenparadise on May 24th, '13, 05:57, edited 3 times in total.

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » May 22nd, '13, 05:47

I'm totally hooked with this drama. I love that it's really intense and that they aren't afraid to go dark with the story. I haven't been impressed with Sho's acting (I've actually avoided his dramas after The Quiz Show 2) before but I think he really does a good job in this one.

Uragami Seishuu is talented and believable and he is really adorable. Kamiki Ryunosuke and Suzuki Honami have both nailed their characters, in my opinion.
I'm actually looking forward to Kayoko confronting Shinichi about his issues more than Yoshimoto & Shinichi. lol The tension they had in the scene at Shinichi's room in the fifth episode was great.

I don't like Kutsuna Shiori's acting here. In episode 5, she felt really weak in her confrontation scene with Yoshimoto.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » May 23rd, '13, 03:33

This drama has got me off guard, so great. The drama is highly recommended.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » May 23rd, '13, 05:46

This drama is surprisingly good. I'm not a fan of Sho's acting but he's doing great. Being extremely attractive is a bonus. He was running around half naked last night but I find him sexier during an intimidation scene with Kayoko. He was kind of scary as well.

I can't with Shiori Kutsuna stoney acting! Kamiki was amazing and she killed the moment in not a good way. Wrong girl for the role. I'm starting to think the akb girlfriend might have done a better job if she played the role. Kutsuna was an unconvincing temptress as well as bad at playing the manipulator. If they make her end up as Yoshimoto girlfriend, I will flip a table.

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » May 23rd, '13, 09:42

Kamiki owned last night's episode in my opinion. Great acting right there. :cheers:

I agree with Kutsuna Shiori she was really stiff. I also think that she's the wrong girl for the role.

Sho is really getting better in each episode too. I think Yoshimoto is his best acting role to date.

I think that Muto Shogo has improved a lot since Joker. :salut:

Last night's episode was 12.9%. I hope the rating would go higher. It deserves higher ratings.

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 6th, '13, 05:38

Numata family totally lost it... and I love it. :P

Notheros

Post by Notheros » Jun 7th, '13, 02:46

I thought everyone would live happily ever after, but after this episode, I don't think that's gonna happen anymore.
Anyway, I'm glad the next one isn't the last one.

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 9th, '13, 23:29

Yes. I'm glad the next episode isn't the last one too but I'm hoping that this would escape a cliche ending.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Jun 17th, '13, 03:32

Ep.7 made me went WTF. Ep.8 = ohnoyoudidnt!!!1 & Ep. 9 .... TT______TT

THIS DRAMA IS BLOWING MY MIND. Shiori didn't suck in Ep 9 too.

There's still a lot of questions but we are only left with ONE episode. I hope they will end it with a bang.

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 18th, '13, 02:40

Yeah. I guess the reason that Shiori got better was because she really just was acting the part. lol Sara is still an aspiring actress after all. :P
Episode 9 was a bit slow for me maybe because I know what's already coming. It was still sad seeing all of it unveil. I agree, I hope that they will end it with a bang.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Jun 22nd, '13, 03:16

I don't like the ending
where everybody is happy honky-dory
but the climax between Shinichi (Kamiki) and Yoshimoto (Sho) was done nicely. Kamiki was amazing actually. This drama was soooo good throughout, its too bad the last episode end up too easy.

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 22nd, '13, 04:04

Finale
I wasn't surprised with the ending actually. I did expect for the drama to end up with a 'happily ever after'. Had this been made by Wowow though, I think it would have ended differently. XD

That final confrontation scene was just amazing. Kamiki absolutely slayed. That moment, for me, was the most memorable scene in the entire drama. It really just stood out. :salut:

I'm glad that the rating was really high for the finale. However, I don't think a sequel, sp or a movie will be necessary for this. I like how they just ended it with that "いいねぇ~". :D

Notheros

Post by Notheros » Jun 22nd, '13, 15:10

I think was a fair end. However, i was expecting that the real Yoshimoto Koya eventually wake up from his coma. I loved the final fight and the last いいねえ~ gave me goose bumps. :lol

I gonna miss this drama. :cry:

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Aug 3rd, '13, 04:20

Great series. Easily the best J-Drama of 2013 Spring, great to hear it won awards for best drama.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Nikkan_Sports ... Grand_Prix

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Nov 30th, '13, 19:24

Finished it yesterday.
And it got me hooked instantly.
It was surprisingly not your typical School-Drama. Not even your typical J-Formula.

Was intense, dark and had lots of great acting. A clear recommendation from me. :thumright:
There was quite a lot of insight there too. And the Things that were said about Parents; School; life and how it shapes people before they realize, was spot on too.

The moment where everyone lost it and trashed the place was totally awesome. I felt sorry for that House.

marilena_r

Post by marilena_r » Jan 18th, '14, 14:26

I wanted to scream at first but the show is getting better and better!