[Discussion] Which JDrama are you hoping for a sequel?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
x2dmax

[Discussion] Which JDrama are you hoping for a sequel?

Post by x2dmax » Jun 27th, '13, 21:21

I have to admit, most sequels are never as good as the first one. Galileo 2 was disappointing.
I'd like to see a sequels to (in no particular order):

Beautiful Life - What Shuji is doing now

Kagi no Kakatta Heya - More locked door mysteries

Kaseiful no Mita - I know Yukawa said he will not do a sequel however, but money might change his mind.

Orange Days - What are they up to?

ZeldAx

Post by ZeldAx » Jun 27th, '13, 21:53

i'd like to see a sequel to

Chase - just for ARATA

&

Kekkon dekinai otoko - Abe Hiroshi is, personnally, the best actor for this drama

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Jun 28th, '13, 06:49

I think the perfect drama is when the ending answers al of the questions - and so the drama doesn't need a second season. And all those with bad endings - I probably don't want to see more of those.
Yet a drama which I would really like to see continue is "Kurosagi" - the manga is basically still ongoing and there is so much to live-action about it :D Also I never get tired of this plot. :D

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Jun 28th, '13, 07:40

Nobuta. wo Produce?!

I honestly have no idea. Admittedly, I agree with Jaje ^ that "the perfect drama is when the ending answers all of the questions"... Then perhaps the ones we want sequels to are imperfect? I mean, is there such a drama series that is so perfect that you don't want it to continue? (For fear of bad things happening to its characters cause the only way it can go is down?)

Nobuta. wo Produce, while my favourite Jdrama, had a rather open ended conclusion. Sure it ended, but there could be many possibilities about the future of the three main characters. Every time I watch the ending I'm tempted to write fanfiction. -_-.

BloomingDesire87
United States of America

Post by BloomingDesire87 » Jun 28th, '13, 10:54

As of right now, I would like to see, not a sequel per say, but a special for Mayonaka no Panya-san. I'd also like to see maybe a sequel or special to the jdrama Answer.

ilovejdramas

Post by ilovejdramas » Jun 28th, '13, 11:07

For me it's Itazura na Kiss ~Love in Tokyo~ although its currently airing. Hehe. :))) Still hoping for a sequel just like in the Taiwanese version. :))))

Anon.

Post by Anon. » Jun 28th, '13, 12:44

Sequels to Code Blue 2 and Boss 2 (although I personally like Galileo 2...with the exception of some of the crimes which were decidedly lame).

dtyc

Post by dtyc » Jun 28th, '13, 13:09

Love to see a Shinya Shokudo 3.

Rob Boyd

Aya x 2

Post by Rob Boyd » Jun 28th, '13, 14:14

Itsuka Hi No Ataru Basho De and I haven't even seen the final episode as of yet! :cry:

forweg

Post by forweg » Jun 28th, '13, 15:54

Kagi no Kakatta Heya - Would be perfect for a sequel, just keep the locked room mysteries rolling along.

Houkago wa Mystery to Tomo ni - The most entertaining show in the history of the universe absolutely needs to continue. How is the relationship between Ishizaki-sensei and Mariko going these days? Will they ever really win a Best Couple award?!

Soumatou Kabushiki Gaisha - Another great episodic show like the above two, plus we never learned what exactly the Revolving Lantern Corporation really is.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jun 28th, '13, 15:56

"Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi", one of my all time favourite dramas. I don't know, if I like to see another season, or if a second special were enough to satisfy me. The drama was too good to destroy it with a second season...but a second special would be ok if it is done right. :)

I guess if I keep thinking about other dramas, I might come up with several others of which I like to see sequels.

€: But more than any sequel I want a drama adoptiation of the light novel/manga/anime "Tora-Dora". I love the story, I love the characters and I think it would make for a really great drama. The anime has 24 episodes, ~21 minutes each so roughly 10normal 45 minute drama episodes + 1 or 2 60 minute pilot/final episodes. It fits perfextly. Come on, Japanese television stations DO IT!

Gir

Post by Gir » Jun 28th, '13, 16:39

I was thinking; Kekkon dekinai otoko and Atami no Sousakan.

And speaking of Kekkon dekinai otoko, I was watching shiawase no kiiroi hankachi and was noticing how, many times Yui Natsukawa and Hiroshi Abe get paired up as a couple in dramas and films.

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » Jun 29th, '13, 02:19

Gir wrote:I was thinking; Kekkon dekinai otoko and Atami no Sousakan.

And speaking of Kekkon dekinai otoko, I was watching shiawase no kiiroi hankachi and was noticing how, many times Yui Natsukawa and Hiroshi Abe get paired up as a couple in dramas and films.
Amen!!!! KDO needs at least a movie "sequel"

However, I don't think Atami needs any sequel because it will ruin "mindf**k" scenario set up by its writer. An open ending (leaving the answer up to the audience) is already appropriate in this regard

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Jun 29th, '13, 07:08

One of the things that keeps me coming back to Asian dramas, Japan's especially, is their compactness. Most of the time you get a really neat and tidy, satisfying story with relatively well-rounded characters. There's no fear that the cancellation bear will come along and knock the show out of the water before its time, or of finding yourself 5-10 years into a seriously dysfunctional relationship with a show that is, in fact, not worth the countless hours you've spent on it. Seriously, no show should last more than 5 years. I enjoy the freshness of Japanese dramas more than anything. Though lately there's been some repetitious story telling (I'm picky), overall I'm not usually disappointed when a series ends and there's no special or film or second series to continue it. In fact, I've often been disappointed by sequels.

That said...

Kagi no Kakkata Heya seems a likely candidate. I'd like a second series of it, but only because it was a fantastic formula. Unfortunately, I have no doubt it will go the way of Galileo and all but Ohno's character will be recast.

A Shinya Shokudou 3 would make me weep in joy, seriously. That is the most relaxing, awesome series in existence.

Speaking of foodie dramas, after season 3 is done, I kind of hope Kodoku no Gurume gets a fourth too. Is that too much to ask for though? XD

Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi. One of the best dramas I've seen in a long time. Rather than tying up loose ends, the special just left me wanting more.

But the one I want more than anything:

MOTO KARE.

Talk about open-ended. But does a 10-year-old series really stand of a chance of being continued? No, of course not!

Speaking of sequels that will never happen: I would be intrigued by another series of JIN. Perhaps not another time slip backward for JIN, but I'd be interested to see how JIN's life continues in the present day. If we had to have a time slip, then how about one that goes forward? A disastrous one! Such as a whole city's worth of Edo-period people, thought dead in the history books, suddenly flung forward through time, and all the ailments that come with them. Jin insists that his hospital takes them in, knowing he's the only one familiar with the Edo period's ailments... The point is, the basic concept of JIN was magnificent and Osawa Takao was splendid, as was Ayase Haruka... the entire cast. I'd just love to see Dr. Jin in action again (and no, not in a Korean remake).

Gir

Post by Gir » Jun 29th, '13, 11:53

lontong.stroong wrote:
Gir wrote:I was thinking; Kekkon dekinai otoko and Atami no Sousakan.

However, I don't think Atami needs any sequel because it will ruin "mindf**k" scenario set up by its writer. An open ending (leaving the answer up to the audience) is already appropriate in this regard
Yes, that is kind of my thoughts too, but it's just that I would love to have more of this show. But it would probably end up like the X-files without Mulder.... blech.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jun 29th, '13, 13:02

lontong.stroong wrote:IHowever, I don't think Atami needs any sequel because it will ruin "mindf**k" scenario set up by its writer. An open ending (leaving the answer up to the audience) is already appropriate in this regard
I think so too. The Ending (and the whole series) was just brilliant. No addition or change needed.

SusieQ wrote:Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi. One of the best dramas I've seen in a long time. Rather than tying up loose ends, the special just left me wanting more.
Same here. I really, really, really want so see, how all the characers progress. There is so much to show, that I want at least a special. Like I said, I'm not sure about another season as it could ruin the show. Yet I think, the characters are interesting enought that a good writer should be able to make a secon season work. It would be so, so awesome!

am00339

Post by am00339 » Jun 29th, '13, 13:53

so many dramas... seigi no mikata was funny...I woud like to see what could possibly happen next LOL. I love the format of Shinya shokudo... a season 3 would be nice

antspace

Post by antspace » Jun 29th, '13, 13:56

I'd like to suggest Shotenin Michiru no Mi no Uebanashi. I really loved this little series, but found the ending unsatisfying. It sure left the potential for a second season though.

whiteadamas

Post by whiteadamas » Jun 29th, '13, 14:45

for me i'd like to see

Ranma 1/2 (i would love to see a continuation of this)
Dr. Koto
Hachi One Diver (what ever happened to this series)
Arakawa under the bridge
xxxHolic
Minami Kun no Koibito (though this is old and everyone is older i'm just not satisfied with the ending)
Skip beat (sorry this is taiwan drama)

ehehe ^ ^

alicechen

Post by alicechen » Jun 29th, '13, 16:22

Liar Game!! So many great games in the latter manga volumes.

Most importantly, I miss Nao, Akiyama, and Mushroom head! :D

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Jul 1st, '13, 10:11

Ah ah! I thought of another one.

I think I just have a thing for old Domoto Tsuyoshi dramas (he was so good in dramatic/romantic dramas!), because I'd LOVE a continuation of Home Drama. Okay, so it was a bit sad and it's nearly 10 years old and one of the cast members (Tamura Takahiro; he was very old back then) has since died.

BUT STILL.

It was one of the most uplifting life/family dramas I have ever seen. Besides Domoto Tsuyoshi it had an amazing cast that included Inoue Mao, Sakai Wakana, Santamaria Yusuke, Ishida Ayumi, and Konno Mahiru,

I would love to know how everyone's living 10 years later...

ginnikitty

Post by ginnikitty » Jul 11th, '13, 16:18

alicechen wrote:Liar Game!! So many great games in the latter manga volumes.

Most importantly, I miss Nao, Akiyama, and Mushroom head! :D
They did make a new movie but I couldn't bring myself to watch it because Toda Erika wasn't in it...they replaced her character with someone new and it just made Nao and Akiyama's relationship seem so fickle :glare:

If we're including anime though I'd love to see a sequel for Skip Beat! - they ended the series just as the characters got somewhere! Why did they do that to me???

It's cruel I tells you....cruel *rocks back and forth*

SummeryDreams

Post by SummeryDreams » Jul 13th, '13, 13:49

I want a sequel for boku to star no 99 nichi.. Though I don't know how would they make a sequel of it as it is done.

ailuros

Post by ailuros » Jul 17th, '13, 04:32

1) Kagi no Kakatta Heya - I really love chemistry between the cast

2) Queen of lunch - Cast probably too old to make squeal now. But really want to see who will Yuko-san's character choose at the end.

3) SPEC- I can't get enough of it!!! ( the SP and movie- SPEC Ten, quite lame, though)

4) Liar gmae - with Toda and Matsuda Shota only..but on the other hand, if Nao still act stupidly naive., it probably irritate me. I need character development.

5) Boss - with less slapstick comedy and more of Kimoto

6) Code Blue - brink back Hiyama and Shiraishi

itoshinotegoshi

Post by itoshinotegoshi » Jul 17th, '13, 08:06

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge, Dinner, Boss2,

beailoveyou
Philippines

Post by beailoveyou » Jul 17th, '13, 10:14

A+++ to those who said Shinya Shokudo 3 needs to happen! :salut: :wub:

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » Jul 18th, '13, 14:12

For me, it's Mahoro Ekimae Bangaichi. I'm curious how Tada and Gyoooten live their lives after Tada moves to other places.

jica

Post by jica » Jul 18th, '13, 22:17

<3s-tei. wrote:Nobuta. wo Produce?!

I honestly have no idea. Admittedly, I agree with Jaje ^ that "the perfect drama is when the ending answers all of the questions"... Then perhaps the ones we want sequels to are imperfect? I mean, is there such a drama series that is so perfect that you don't want it to continue? (For fear of bad things happening to its characters cause the only way it can go is down?)

Nobuta. wo Produce, while my favourite Jdrama, had a rather open ended conclusion. Sure it ended, but there could be many possibilities about the future of the three main characters. Every time I watch the ending I'm tempted to write fanfiction. -_-.
Nobuta wo Produce is my favourite jdrama as well, but I'm split whether I want a sequel or not, because I would love to see more of Shuuji, Akira and Nobuta, but in the same time, I think the ending was really good. I like it being open, because then it's up to us to imagine what happens after that...

Sequals are risky in that you'll have high hopes, and usually you just get disappointed and wish they had left your favourite drama alone... ^^;

Liar Game? Without the games maybe? Just with Nao and Akiyama. :whistling:

deeplove

Post by deeplove » Jul 19th, '13, 00:02

orange days...overall well done story
kekkon ...so funny
nodame cantabile...i can never get enough of this
love shuffle...boy this was good
satorare
kimi wa petto..more like an sp just to see them together
zettai kareshi
kurosagi..wouldn't mind an sp
bara no nai hanaya
ice world
remote..i wanna watch another drama with koichi domoto

MikoxXx

Post by MikoxXx » Jul 19th, '13, 03:00

I only want those with horrible endings to have a sequel so they can explain to us what the hell happened there, so off the top of my mind:

Long Love Letter - idk, zombie the main lead girl back or something, I just don't want to believe she died in the end. T_T
Kurosagi - where both leads end up together and everyone lives happily ever after. \o/
Minami-kun no Koibito - she has to grow back to normal size! ><
Kaseifu no Mita - I think, technically, the ending was believable and realistic to a certain point but....she shouldn't have left them, no~ :'( /dramatic
Nobunaga no Chef - this was the most wtf ending ever, I don't even need to explain why they have to make a sequel.

And I'd soooo love a Nobuta wo Produce sequel too but I fear that the original (insanely epic) drama might get ruined if something else is added to it now.

SummeryDreams

Post by SummeryDreams » Aug 3rd, '13, 01:26

uuhmmm.. Sounds like I like a sequel of Puzzle. I want more mystery stuffs anyways to start with.

sfnoona

Post by sfnoona » Aug 3rd, '13, 02:35

Ooku Tanjou - really like the world portrayed in this drama.
Maybe not a sequel exactly but to continue telling the story from the original Manga series!

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Aug 9th, '13, 04:10

I was hoping I could be original with Mahoro Eki Mae Bangaichi, but I see someone beat me to it. :D With its episodic format and great potential for further character development (not to mention its utter freakin' coolness), it's a natural choice for a sequel. As long as it's a quality sequel.
Of course I want to see more Atami no Sousakan, after all, it is my favourite dorama of all time. However, rather than a sequel, what I'd like to see is an ATM revival. I want to see some real love for the original series. It's a cult in the making and I tell people everywhere I go (especially in Japan) to give it a go. I even started a mini-craze at my neighbourhood Japanese language school by passing it around. People even started throwing some catchphrases around "teshi, teshi, teshi..." :lol
Well, here's another vote for Shinya Shokudo. I want to see some romance in Master's life. I want to learn more about the mysterious Odagiri Joe "son" connection and Master's scar. And I want to see Master serve up some more tasty meals, 'cause men who can cook are just plain HOT. :w00t:

YukawaManabu

Post by YukawaManabu » Aug 11th, '13, 14:16

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, definitely! And Kimura's HERO. I will never get tired of this :D

SummeryDreams

Post by SummeryDreams » Aug 18th, '13, 02:02

YukawaManabu wrote:Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, definitely! And Kimura's HERO. I will never get tired of this :D
What is the genre of this dramas? Who were the cast? Thanks. Been looking for something new to watch.