[Discussion] Dokushin Kizoku

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
jasminech

[Discussion] Dokushin Kizoku

Post by jasminech » Nov 23rd, '13, 13:38

Dokushin Kizoku (独身貴族)

Information from the the jdrama blog and dramawiki.

Official Website
DramaWiki

Genre: Romantic Comedy
Broadcast network: Fuji TV
Broadcast period: 2013-Oct-10 start
Air time: Thursday 22:00

Cast:
Kusanagi Tsuyoshi as Hoshino Mamoru
Kitagawa Keiko as Haruno Yuki
Ito Hideaki as Hoshino Susumu
Fujigaya Taisuke as Kawagoe Yuta
Renbutsu Misako as Ogata Sumika
Hiraiwa Kami as Genozono Reiko
Nishihara Aki as Obara Saori
Sasai Eisuke as Kobayashi Seiji

English subs can be found here!

I couldn't find a discussion thread for this drama yet so I thought I would start one.

I am actually quite enjoying this drama more than I thought I would! I wasn't too fond of Tsuyoshi's character at first but it grew on me sooooo quickly! I was quite surprised that beneath all that initial talk that Mamoru was such a kind, honest and genuine person! Also, I love Kitagawa Keiko as Haruno Yuki - I think she is always so pretty in whatever roles she plays, though.

Also, I have just watched episode 7 andddd....
Haha, Yamapi! When the connection between Kitagawa Keiko and Ito Hideaki started growing, it reminded me of Buzzer Beat! Funny that he made an appearance. Does anyone know if he will pop up again in the last few episodes?

7mi12
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 7mi12 » Nov 23rd, '13, 13:52

awww I also like this drama. I'm big fan of Keiko, and... when I saw Yuki-Susumu's relationship here, it reminded me with Buzzer Beat (so I re-watch only Riko-Kawasaki's scene).

I thought Yuki will ended up with Mamoru (they had more chemistry, I think). But I admitted that she also had "special connection" with Susumu, like... empathy and admire?

Don't know. Just watch it until the end!

I haven't watch eps7 yet, maybe next week...

I wonder how many episodes this drama will take?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Nov 26th, '13, 03:21

Mamoru/Reiko shipper here :lol Reiko reminds me so much of Nodame (Nodame Cantabile) and Kotoko (Itazura na Kiss). And just like Chiaki & Naoki, Mamoru always show annoyed face but in the end he let Reiko hang out around him. I love the Yamanote Line scenes, that's hillarious :lol

I like Yuki too, but Kitagawa Keiko lacks acting skill, she has good chemistry with the younger actors, but I feel like something doesn't click when she's with Tsuyoshi.

Well, anyway I've talked a lot abt my opinions on the ending of Ep7 here:
http://yanie02.livejournal.com/210736.html
http://yanie02.livejournal.com/211040.html (with fan-made animated pictures)

Btw, am I the only who really dig the old western movie BGMs??? I loooove them! Currently compiling them... I will share them later^^ I love the BGMs from The Sting (1973) and the Forrest Gump theme made me cry T_T

I think it'll be 11 episodes, I don't see any reason to cut it down to 9 or 10. The average rating is only 10-12% but it has loyal viewers.

jasminech

Post by jasminech » Nov 26th, '13, 13:52

I was just searching through some old files on my external hard drive and I found clip on SMAPXSMAP with Tsuyoshi and Kitagawa Keiko - google "clownish love actually". They looked so awkward haha!

7mi12
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 7mi12 » Nov 26th, '13, 14:10

I already watched eps 7!

OMG YamaP appeared!!!! It's Buzzer Beat Reunion!!! >,<

jasminech

Post by jasminech » Dec 1st, '13, 15:12

I have just seen episode 8 and the...
looks of concern on the president's face when he saw Yuki crying!! :wub: And the way he got angry at Susumu in the scene after that. Ahh, the president and Yuki look so good together! Loved their scenes while they were on the business trip together.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 6th, '13, 03:46

Question #Episode 9#
When Reiko's father said "It's still not too late for you to turn back now... coz I don't want to see Reiko's sad face". Does this mean he allowed Mamoru not to marry Reiko but he'd still fund "August Bolero" production? Or does this mean if Mamoru turn back, he'd cancel his intention to fund the film?

It just seem everyone seem to remind him that marrying Reiko is not the right choice, but he is so stubborn about it.

I hope there's some good explanation why Mamoru is being so stubborn about marrying Reiko. Coz for now, it doesn't seem he enjoy spending time with Reiko that much. Or that's just simply his weird way in expressing his love for Yuki? I cannot accept a reason as simple as "If I don't marry Reiko, Haruno Yuki will be so crushed if August Bolero project failed". So what, if Haruno experience failure in her writing career? People have to experience failure once or twice to be successful.

Spoiler #Episode 10#
More over, in the next episode preview, seem like Reiko disappeared on the wedding day, and then the next day, Mamoru came all the way to Reiko's house, asking her father to convince Reiko, that everything is alright and Reiko have nothing to worry about. But Reiko's father plead Mamoru "For now please just let me take care of Reiko"... sounds like Reiko's father is begging Mamoru, not to make Reiko suffer more than this.

Why is he fighting for someone that he don't sincerely love? And pretty much making no effort in pursuing someone he sincerely love?

I think this is why it's best for him to stay "dokushin kizoku" (swinging single) at the end XD

7mi12
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 7mi12 » Dec 6th, '13, 04:56

yanie wrote:Question #Episode 9#
When Reiko's father said "It's still not too late for you to turn back now... coz I don't want to see Reiko's sad face". Does this mean he allowed Mamoru not to marry Reiko but he'd still fund "August Bolero" production? Or does this mean if Mamoru turn back, he'd cancel his intention to fund the film?

It just seem everyone seem to remind him that marrying Reiko is not the right choice, but he is so stubborn about it.

I hope there's some good explanation why Mamoru is being so stubborn about marrying Reiko. Coz for now, it doesn't seem he enjoy spending time with Reiko that much. Or that's just simply his weird way in expressing his love for Yuki? I cannot accept a reason as simple as "If I don't marry Reiko, Haruno Yuki will be so crushed if August Bolero project failed". So what, if Haruno experience failure in her writing career? People have to experience failure once or twice to be successful.

Spoiler #Episode 10#
More over, in the next episode preview, seem like Reiko disappeared on the wedding day, and then the next day, Mamoru came all the way to Reiko's house, asking her father to convince Reiko, that everything is alright and Reiko have nothing to worry about. But Reiko's father plead Mamoru "For now please just let me take care of Reiko"... sounds like Reiko's father is begging Mamoru, not to make Reiko suffer more than this.

Why is he fighting for someone that he don't sincerely love? And pretty much making no effort in pursuing someone he sincerely love?

I think this is why it's best for him to stay "dokushin kizoku" (swinging single) at the end XD
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
your spoiler made me eager to watch the two last episodes!!!
*just 10 episodes, right? or more?*

funderfurby

Post by funderfurby » Dec 6th, '13, 05:00

Moon River~ they only use the Audrey Hepburn version, like 3 times? which she did only in Breakfast at Tiffanies not on the record release. And then finally Haruno and Mamoru sing it, almost inaudibly. Which expresses the characters' repressed relationship all too well, it was painful.

jasminech

Post by jasminech » Dec 6th, '13, 12:45

yanie wrote:Question #Episode 9#

Well, about your second point;
I think that is just his character - incredibly sincere and straightforward (obviously, Yuki is an exception). Initially, he took that action so that August Bolero would be produced. I think he made that decision without any intentions of ever turning back - the moment he decided, that was it. He is straight in that way. At the same time, I think he would feel bad to turn back on what he said he would do (i.e. marry Reiko). He doesn't want to hurt anyone.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 6th, '13, 17:43

#Shocked#Ep10 Spoiler#
source: synopsis from official website
The official site spoiled that Reiko disappeared on the wedding day, so the wedding was canceled. Next day, Mamoru went to her house but Reiko's father did not let him see her. Then Reiko called Yuki asking her to talk together alone. Reiko asked Yuki what Mamoru is like at work and she told her.

Ok, shocking part now.

Few days later, Mamoru chased after Reiko who was hiding in one of her family's villa at the beach. (seems like she's running away from Mamoru) They talked. Reiko apologized to Mamoru for her behavior. Mamoru said to her "Let's have our wedding in Italy next year"

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt?????

Please, pleease, tell me this is because you love Reiko so deeply, Mamoruuu! XD

After the CANCELED wedding... hellooo, Mamoru? You didn't take that as a wakeup call? You still want to marry Reiko for her father's money and power, that much???
And I'm also surprised Reiko didn't immediately dump him! I thought having a talk with Yuki would make her realized how much Mamoru love Yuki or how Yuki know abt him much more?

However... Reiko also asked Mamoru she want the necklace that the Hoshino family's eldest son's bride have the rights to accept. Maybe this is her test for Mamoru?

But looking for Reiko as far as to her villa at the beach, is quite far... it sounds like a Mamoru/Reiko love story already. If its the cliche type, I thought Mamoru will be looking for Yuki at her hometown instead for the last episode XD Or is this still on?

I really want Mamoru/Reiko to be together now... the writer have gone too far with them, to just throw those all away in 1 last episode. I mean she need to come up with a MORE touching scene with Mamoru/Yuki, than the "proposal" scene. "

"Let's have our wedding in Italy next year" sounds too romantic to be fake *v*

Why Italy?
Reiko originally wanted the wedding ceremony to be held in Lake Como. Episode 6.

Why next year?
I wonder if it has something to do with what Reiko told Mamoru, about her father importing umeboshi trees by mistake. She meant to give away gold-leaf umeboshi as souvenirs, but she realized it's not umeboshi season, so her father imported them from overseas on a whim. Then she said "Dad! if we really have to wait these to become umeboshi, then my wedding will have to be held next year... ufufufu!" Episode 9.

This means Mamoru was actually listening to her random talks all these time (though it looks like he didn't) XD

Looks like Yuki will be back to her hometown by the end of Ep10. It'll be too weird if Mamoru chase Yuki over to her hometown just to ask the necklace back, in the final ep, lol.

jasminech

Post by jasminech » Dec 7th, '13, 12:08

Hmmm, the dramawiki says 11 episodes?

cute_angel

Post by cute_angel » Dec 12th, '13, 08:38

Currently watching this series and I like it!

Kei-chan! :wub:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 13th, '13, 10:07

Preview for Ep11. LOL.
Yamapi and Susumu(Ito Hideaki) were fighting. Riko... uh, I mean, Yuki (Kitagawa Keiko) separate them :whistling: Buzzer Beat dejavu, lol.
Well, anyway, glad to know Yamapi will appear again in the final episode. And seems like this time he has more screentime, since the "August Bolero" filming has started.

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sensei991 » Dec 16th, '13, 03:44

I am now anxiously awaiting ep11 to see how this ends.
After ep09 where Yuki discovered the common thread to the good things happening to her, I figured that the Mamoru-Yuki relationship was a slam-dunk. But ep10 with Yuki asking whether Shachō identifies with Sam from Sleepless in Seattle and finding that Shachō sympathizes with Walter has me wondering how this is going to end.
The spoilers on the official site do not seem to offer any definitive clues.

I wonder how much of the Hollywood music (My Fair Lady, Smile, Moon River, etc) and references to movies like Sleepless in Seattle the Japanese audience can appreciate.

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Dec 18th, '13, 23:27

Still watching until ep8... and dont mind to read all the spoilers here :p
the drama still enjoyable even not much (too cliche, mostly in Yuki's character).

I think the one that will break Mamoru's story either Reiko san or Akiko obasan...

Mamoru's character kinda remind me with Taketo (Fukuyama Masaharu's character in Perfect Love)... choosing on Chigusa because that is what he want.... even the person that makes his heart beating hard is other (Aya)..."I think its also kinda of love" he said (if I'm not wrong and my memory served perfectly)
[/spoiler]

funderfurby

Post by funderfurby » Dec 19th, '13, 02:15

I hope the tv audience in Japan gets the Hollywood musical references because there doesn't seem to be a lot of people watching it elsewhere from the stats I see in my client (or maybe I've been choosing the least popular version for each episode).

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 19th, '13, 02:18

General opinion, but just in case, I'll put them is spoiler tags
I hope you're right, coz I'm sooo rooting for Mamoru and Reiko haha~! But the problem is, Chigusa was in fact, the female lead in Perfect Love, so maybe it's obvious that he'll end up with her.
So far, dramas where male and female lead didn't end up together (without any death), I can think of, is only Tokyo Love Story and Ichiban Taisetsu na Hito... very old dramas XD So I guess chances for Mamoru/Reiko is very slim :(
I prefer for Mamoru to stay single in the end. I can't stand Yuki. I love Keiko, but it's her character I cannot stand, she's too indecisive.
Don't worry, this drama has many loyal Japanese fans (thus the steady ratings of 10-12%), and from some comments I saw, they love the old western BGMs. And someone even compiled the BGM list used in this drama: http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2138323681368497101

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sensei991 » Dec 19th, '13, 13:04

We'll see how this ends in the next few days.

@yanie: Your comment about dramas where the male and female leads do not end up together (without deaths) got me trying to remember others. Among the older ones, Egao no Hosoku and Over Time come to mind. More recent ones include Soredemo, Ikite Yuku and Jin. One could make a case for Last Cinderella, Itsuka Hi no Ataru Basho de and perhaps Dinner (although there was never a real romance there). I'm sure that there are others, but your point that they are few and far between stands.

Looking at the BGM list, I have to say that I did not recognize several of the pieces myself. So the Japanese viewing audience seems to be more knowledgeable than I am. :-)

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Dec 23rd, '13, 09:25

it's ended finally... thanks for fast subs by akamiso
the story is just too cliche, even the ending...just thinkin' if Mamoru san is really exist in reality, would be good if he can through the drama's script... so it'll more satisfying

7mi12
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 7mi12 » Dec 23rd, '13, 09:57

ailahai wrote:it's ended finally... thanks for fast subs by akamiso
the story is just too cliche, even the ending...just thinkin' if Mamoru san is really exist in reality, would be good if he can through the drama's script... so it'll more satisfying
and the last episode rating is the lowest : 9.6%

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sensei991 » Dec 23rd, '13, 18:01

Reaction to the finale -
So the male and female leads do end up together after several false endings. And Reiko is the one to slap some sense into Mamoru. Poor guy, he took a lot of physical and verbal abuse, but then again he deserved it.

The scenes with Mamoru and Yuki embracing seemed stiff and forced to me. I suppose the producers were trying to keep Mamoru in character, but after he confessed earlier that he loses his ability to make calm decisions when with Yuki , we would hope that he will be a bit more impulsive and romantic., maybe wearing a Tom Hanks mask. Simply saying ‘ you are a very important person to me’ comes off as pretty lame.

For me, the story development had interesting twists and turns, but the last episode was flat and disappointing.. It should have ended with Mamoru and Yuki having fun together.

cute_angel

Post by cute_angel » Dec 26th, '13, 08:39

Done watching this drama. :-)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 22nd, '14, 18:46

Hi :-)

I liked a lot of things about the drama. The characters seemed mature enough, and had a great chemistry between each others. The music and the "script development" story was amazing... The only and probably the most disappointing thing about the drama was:
The ending..... felt like.."Whatever! let them just end up together" said the Screenwriter in a hurry.
It's not that I'm not shipping them, but I wanted them to end up together in a more convincing way, specially because the whole drama was "convincing".

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 22nd, '14, 18:47

sensei991 wrote:Reaction to the finale -
So the male and female leads do end up together after several false endings. And Reiko is the one to slap some sense into Mamoru. Poor guy, he took a lot of physical and verbal abuse, but then again he deserved it.

The scenes with Mamoru and Yuki embracing seemed stiff and forced to me. I suppose the producers were trying to keep Mamoru in character, but after he confessed earlier that he loses his ability to make calm decisions when with Yuki , we would hope that he will be a bit more impulsive and romantic., maybe wearing a Tom Hanks mask. Simply saying ‘ you are a very important person to me’ comes off as pretty lame.

For me, the story development had interesting twists and turns, but the last episode was flat and disappointing.. It should have ended with Mamoru and Yuki having fun together.
I totally agree!

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 22nd, '14, 18:50

yanie wrote: I love the BGMs from The Sting (1973) and the Forrest Gump theme made me cry T_T
hmm which theme was from Forrest Gump?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 23rd, '14, 03:20

MisS Lonliah wrote:
yanie wrote: I love the BGMs from The Sting (1973) and the Forrest Gump theme made me cry T_T
The scene where Mamoru proposed Reiko in the hospital.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 26th, '14, 15:58

yanie wrote:
MisS Lonliah wrote:
The scene where Mamoru proposed Reiko in the hospital.
Ahaa~ Thanks for your reply :)