[Discussion] Hanako to Anne

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Post Reply
User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California
United States of America

[Discussion] Hanako to Anne

Post by dhisashi » May 27th, '14, 05:33

How is the reception of this current Asadora in Japan? Although I am not fluent in Japanese luckily there are Japanese subs which I can machine translate and by using other online resources create a barely useable set of English subs that are decent enough for me to keep up with the storyline.

In my opinion the series only becomes really interesting after Yuriko Yoshitaka starts portraying Hana/Hanako at the start of Week 03. I am now through episode 49 which is the start of Week 09. It has been a fast moving story from weeks 3 to now.

User avatar
hype8750
Posts: 82
Joined: Apr 10th, '12, 02:52

Re: [Discussion] Hanako to Anne

Post by hype8750 » May 27th, '14, 07:15

dhisashi wrote:How is the reception of this current Asadora in Japan? Although I am not fluent in Japanese luckily there are Japanese subs which I can machine translate and by using other online resources create a barely useable set of English subs that are decent enough for me to keep up with the storyline.

In my opinion the series only becomes really interesting after Yuriko Yoshitaka starts portraying Hana/Hanako at the start of Week 03. I am now through episode 49 which is the start of Week 09. It has been a fast moving story from weeks 3 to now.

Hanako To Anne is doing really good right now.
The weekly ratings until now( week 8 ) have always been > 20%.. :-)


Yes!..the story so far is really interesting (im currently on week8).
My fav. epsd so far is epsd #14 :lol

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California
United States of America

Re: [Discussion] Hanako to Anne

Post by dhisashi » May 27th, '14, 16:40

hype8750 wrote:
Hanako To Anne is doing really good right now.
The weekly ratings until now( week 8 ) have always been > 20%.. :-)

Yes!..the story so far is really interesting (im currently on week8).
My fav. epsd so far is epsd #14 :lol
Glad to hear that. Ep. 14 the Christmas Party. That was a good one.
It's funny but after watching for a few weeks I am getting used to Koshu-ben. I can actually pick out the limited words that I know in Japanese.

:D

xdieselx
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 14th, '06, 16:32

Post by xdieselx » Jun 1st, '14, 17:12

I really wish someone would upload english subtitles. This asadora seems interesting. Ama-chan and Gochisousan have been wonderful! Really got me interested in asadoras.

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jun 2nd, '14, 06:38

xdieselx wrote:I really wish someone would upload english subtitles. This asadora seems interesting. Ama-chan and Gochisousan have been wonderful! Really got me interested in asadoras.
I have some really sketchy English subs that I would have to do a lot of cleaning up to be useful. I use the Japanese subs as a start then I machine translate them. Then I spend about an hour to clean them up using multiple online translation sites. BUT they are only good enough for me to follow the storyline

If no one else decides to pick up making English subs I may have to spend a bunch of time really cleaning up the subs that I have. BUT I am still hoping that an honest Fansubber or Group decides to do the English subs for this Asadora.

In my opinion this has been a very good story at least through episode 54.

:-)

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 29th, '05, 09:52

Post by yanie » Jun 9th, '14, 03:41

Tbh, I lost interest in this drama in the middle of Week 5, cause Nakama Yukie's character is soooo boring. I'm a big fan of Nakama, but her character here is just boring. But the Japanese media keep reporting about the high average ratings every week, so it got me interested to continue and I'm so glad I continued!!

My favorite is Week 6 so far!!
I love Hanako's character and watching her work part time for the first time in a publishing company was really fun!
And such a pleasant surprise to see Suzuki Ryohei here! :wub:
I didn't know he's gonna be one of the regular cast!
I love him since the first time I saw him as the wicked villain in Majo Saiban.
And I was more pleasantly surprised to find out he's playing...
Hanako's future husband! Squeeeee~!!! I love their sweet first met :wub: The scene was shot so lovely! And so far I love their chemistry.

However, in the original biography, Hanako wasn't suppose to meet her future husband, Muraoka, until much later, after she went back to hometown become a teacher, and then 5 yrs later, back to Tokyo and work at a publishing company. I guess they made Muraoka appeared much earlier to increase his screen time as the male lead.

I can't wait to see their love story fully blooms, perhaps in Week 12, Hanako going back to Tokyo.
I'm just glad when Renko was not a focus character anymore. I really don't see much best friends chemistry between Hanako and Renko either, their friendship seem forced and their scenes together are awkward :unsure:

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jun 9th, '14, 16:10

yanie wrote:Tbh, I lost interest in this drama in the middle of Week 5, cause Nakama Yukie's character is soooo boring. I'm a big fan of Nakama, but her character here is just boring. But the Japanese media keep reporting about the high average ratings every week, so it got me interested to continue and I'm so glad I continued!!

My favorite is Week 6 so far!!

<snip>
I'm just glad when Renko was not a focus character anymore. I really don't see much best friends chemistry between Hanako and Renko either, their friendship seem forced and their scenes together are awkward :unsure:
Keep watching. I am through week 10 and it has been interesting to me except for the beginning child actress playing Hanako.
True Renko starts off as a bore, but she remains a life long friend so hopefully her character will become more interesting in future episodes.

Of course my knowledge of the Japanese language is minimal about that of a 3 year old. So I have to rely mostly on machine translations of the Japanese subs to watch this. I wish someone would do English subs. But Asadoras are so long that most are not subbed. :-(

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jun 10th, '14, 22:53

Good news for those of you needing English subs.

First two episodes are here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_152286.htm

With a promise for more to come. :D

User avatar
totally_0bsessed
Posts: 577
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 05:52

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 10th, '14, 23:50

dhisashi wrote:Good news for those of you needing English subs.

First two episodes are here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_152286.htm

With a promise for more to come. :D
Thank you for this wonderful news!

I skipped to week three because I wanted to see Yuriko asap. :lol:
but with the subtitles I can finally watch from the start. :w00t:

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jun 13th, '14, 17:34

Are the people of Japan still watching this?
Early episodes had a rating well above of 20.0.

:scratch:

xdieselx
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 14th, '06, 16:32

Post by xdieselx » Jun 14th, '14, 13:27

Really thankful that someone is subbing this! :)

Anyway, after watching the first 7 episodes, it's a bit slow compared to Amachan and Gochisousan so I guess I have to wait till I warm up to the show. I do hope it doesn't disappoint.

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jun 14th, '14, 17:30

xdieselx wrote:Really thankful that someone is subbing this! :)

Anyway, after watching the first 7 episodes, it's a bit slow compared to Amachan and Gochisousan so I guess I have to wait till I warm up to the show. I do hope it doesn't disappoint.
In my opinion it does not getting interesting until Yoshitaka Yuriko takes over as Hana.
That starts in episode 13 at the start of week 3.

:-)

User avatar
mecchaumai
Posts: 41
Joined: Jun 10th, '14, 12:57

Post by mecchaumai » Jun 14th, '14, 17:39

I actually really liked Yamada Mochika as Hana, I thought she did really well. I do think that the storyline improves as it goes along though :)

Edit:
yanie wrote:
Hanako's future husband! Squeeeee~!!! I love their sweet first met :wub: The scene was shot so lovely! And so far I love their chemistry.

However, in the original biography, Hanako wasn't suppose to meet her future husband, Muraoka, until much later, after she went back to hometown become a teacher, and then 5 yrs later, back to Tokyo and work at a publishing company. I guess they made Muraoka appeared much earlier to increase his screen time as the male lead.

I can't wait to see their love story fully blooms, perhaps in Week 12, Hanako going back to Tokyo.
I didn't know that! It's really interesting to know. I think as far as TV shows go, they will always do it this way round though.

xdieselx
Posts: 20
Joined: Sep 14th, '06, 16:32

Post by xdieselx » Jun 15th, '14, 08:20

The first episodes of the second week are better than the first week. The child actress is okay, I actually like her. But I guess the material she was working with really isn't that meaty. I love love love the Asaichi child actor though. He's adorable!

Thanks mecchaumai for the subtitles! :) I really appreciate it.

User avatar
mecchaumai
Posts: 41
Joined: Jun 10th, '14, 12:57

Post by mecchaumai » Jun 15th, '14, 10:58

xdieselx wrote:The first episodes of the second week are better than the first week. The child actress is okay, I actually like her. But I guess the material she was working with really isn't that meaty. I love love love the Asaichi child actor though. He's adorable!

Thanks mecchaumai for the subtitles! :) I really appreciate it.
I agree with the fact that she's really good but doesn't have much to work with. I really like Satomura Hiromu too (Child actor for Asaichi).

I actually wish that (probs about 61 episodes in)
her and Asaichi would have ended up together... but love doesn't work like that.
And you're welcome, no need to thank me. I'm actually using it to motivate me to study! (Plus I really really like this show and need people to talk to about it) :D

User avatar
totally_0bsessed
Posts: 577
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 05:52

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jun 16th, '14, 01:56

mecchaumai wrote:
xdieselx wrote:The first episodes of the second week are better than the first week. The child actress is okay, I actually like her. But I guess the material she was working with really isn't that meaty. I love love love the Asaichi child actor though. He's adorable!

Thanks mecchaumai for the subtitles! :) I really appreciate it.
I agree with the fact that she's really good but doesn't have much to work with. I really like Satomura Hiromu too (Child actor for Asaichi).

I actually wish that (probs about 61 episodes in)
her and Asaichi would have ended up together... but love doesn't work like that.
And you're welcome, no need to thank me. I'm actually using it to motivate me to study! (Plus I really really like this show and need people to talk to about it) :D
I agree with the child actress. I think she had great scenes in some episodes too just that she wasn't really given more to work on. :D
I was actually rooting for Hana and Asaichi too. lol But yeah, it doesn't work that way. I enjoy what they have at least. :)
Also, Thank you for the excellent subs, mecchaumai! :salut: :salut: :salut:
dhisashi wrote:Are the people of Japan still watching this?
Early episodes had a rating well above of 20.0.

:scratch:
Week 11 just scored 23.3% average rating so it's still going strong. :cheers:
source: http://mantan-web.jp/2014/06/16/2014061 ... 2000c.html

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 29th, '05, 09:52

Post by yanie » Jun 16th, '14, 09:15

Ehhh, I love the child actor who played Hana's eldest brother, the most!
The little boy was so cool and handsome. Who's his name? I prefer the child actor rather than the adult version of the eldest brother XD

As for child actress... she was so-so for me, but once she entered the boarding school, the story definitely picks up. I enjoyed the boarding school episodes (child actress and Yuriko's ones) until Hayama Renko came.... thennn... it went downhill for me.

I got excited with the story again on Week 6 though. Muraoka Printing-san :wub:

I love Hana and Asaichi... I have liked the actor who play Asaichi, Kubota Masataka, very much, since I saw him in Gegege no Nyobo, playing the love interest of the heroine's little sister.

But then, Muraoka came out in a very charming/princely way.... :wub:
hahaha....... gomennnn, Asaichiiii~

But yeah... there's a debate of Hana/Asaichi vs Hana/Muraoka among the Japanese fans already. It's abt 50/50.

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jun 16th, '14, 14:03

totally_0bsessed wrote:<snip>Week 11 just scored 23.3% average rating so it's still going strong. :cheers:
source: http://mantan-web.jp/2014/06/16/2014061 ... 2000c.html
Here is the Google translated from Japanese to English from the above link:
Weekly average audience rating TV series of novels that Yoshitaka Yuriko NHK actress will serve as a starring (morning gong) of "Anne and Hanako" week 11 "Goodbye! Nose teacher" of (9 to 14 broadcast) 23.3 % recorded (calculated Kanto district, from Video Research survey), it exceeded 21% in 11 consecutive weeks from the start of the broadcast. And 23.1% higher than the sixth week was the best ever, you updated the program best.
My interpretation of this is that for the Kanto Region, Week 11 "Goodbye! Hana Sensei" rated 23.3%. That was higher than the previous high rated Week 6 which was 23.1%.
:D
BTW Week 11 just ended on June 14, 2014.

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 29th, '05, 09:52

Post by yanie » Jun 22nd, '14, 21:45

Anyone interested in the OST, doozo :-)

Hanako to Anne OST

Week 13 starts today :cheers: All about romance. Hana's romance, Kayo's romance, Renko's romance... oh well, though I only have interest in Hana and Kayo's romance :roll

oldisnew
Posts: 38
Joined: Aug 29th, '13, 01:02

Post by oldisnew » Jun 23rd, '14, 14:48

yanie wrote:Anyone interested in the OST, doozo :-)
Yes......Thank you.
yanie wrote:Week 13 starts today :cheers: All about romance. Hana's romance, Kayo's romance, Renko's romance... oh well, though I only have interest in Hana and Kayo's romance :roll
I envy you being able to casually watch and understand in real time.
Learning Japanese well enough to be able to casually watch dramas seems like an impossibility for me.
I have made several starts, but the goal seems unavailably far away.
I will try to press on.

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 29th, '05, 09:52

Post by yanie » Jun 24th, '14, 01:02

oldisnew wrote:I envy you being able to casually watch and understand in real time.
Learning Japanese well enough to be able to casually watch dramas seems like an impossibility for me.
I have made several starts, but the goal seems unavailably far away.
I will try to press on.
You don't have to take classes, just watch Japanese drama/movie/variety/anime (at least 30 mins length) everyday for 3 years.

I start watching Japanese drama/movie/variety everyday (and I really mean, not a single day passed without watching Japanese show for me, since) in 2002 and I started able to understand simple/daily conversations completely by 2005-2006, I didn't take any formal lessons at all. But then for me to be able to read kanji letters, took me one year intensive course in Japan. But if you only aim for listening skill, just try watching Japanese show everyday :mrgreen: (but of course u have to watch with subtitles in the first 2 years)

So anyway, it's unfair...
I find Suzuki Ryohei (the guy who play Muraoka Eiji from Muraoka Printing, Hana's recent love interest) is very charming and adorable, esp. when he helps Hana take a book from a too-high level rack or put them back to the rack.

Image

But comments, all I can read on Twitter (by Japanese audience), were:

"Noooo Hana... run! Mr. Muraoka Printing only aims for your panties!!"

"Seriously.... she's better off with Asaichi... when I see this guy, all I can think of is Hentai Kamen (Panty-Man)"

I was like "wha--" what's the deal with this Hentai Kamen stuff?? I found out it's Suzuki Ryohei's last year movie... so I decided to watch and ... :blink :unsure: :crazy: :scratch: :crazy: :w00t: :lol

NHK was not on the right mind casting someone who just got popular last year for his role as a hentai(pervert) superhero, to play such important role in Asadora time slot, LOL.
But the amazing thing is.... I like Suzuki Ryohei even more after I saw Hentai Kamen :lol

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 29th, '05, 09:52

Post by yanie » Jun 27th, '14, 04:29

Ahh I have so many favorite scenes in Week 13!
Too bad no scene of Eiji helping Hana put a book into a high-level rack, I never get tired of this, even if it's already repeated for 3 times :P This time it was Ikuya, Eiji's brother, who helped her do that (though in Hana's mind she was wishing for Eiji).

But my favorite scene was during the meeting and Kajiwara wanted to decide the magazine cover by votes. Then Eiji and Hana were pointing at the same design and their fingers were touching, they got awkward, pulled back their fingers and place them in another spots on the design. I find that moment was soooo cute! :wub:

The page layout drawn by Eiji for Hana's translation pages was awesome. I really love the drawing. Eiji is just so sweet. I wonder when will Hana find out that the layout was drawn by Eiji himself. She still think it was some unknown illustrator.

Eiji and Ikuya's father finally showed up since yesterday. Wow, he's old but kakkoii. Lol, I love the fact that these 3 father and sons are ikemen businessmen, haha!
Today, Renko (Nakama Yukie) came to Muraoka's director office and I loooove the part when Renko said "Muraoka-san..." and the three father and sons answered at the same time "HAI!" lol, can't stop laughing at that moment. Eiji's father was so mesmerized by Renko's beauty.

Of course, the script for this asadora is fictitious (based on true story) but it's always interesting to find out what the real story was like. Seems like the real-life Annaka Hana (model for Ando Hana) and Muraoka Keizo (model for Muraoka Eiji) were really one of a kind married couple back in the Taisho era. When everyone goes for omiai(arranged) marriage in that period, Hana and Keizo got married with love (ren'ai kekkon), they even sent each other love letters, the real Hana even made a note of their first kiss. And when all women in that era are the stay-home, housewife type... Hana was the working type... it was rare that time for both husband and wife working ... but Muraoka Keizo supported Hana's profession as a translator completely. They were married for more than 40 years. Such a heart-warming true story.

So far, I really love how the script brought up Hana and Eiji's love story.... not the usual bickering couple ( though they had a little of that at the end of Week 8 ), but still captivating to watch. I think Yoshitaka Yuriko and Suzuki Ryohei's acting were quite realistic like they really understand the characters' feelings, and they seem to work well together.

I read a spoiler for Week 15 and apparently it's time for Asaichi vs Eiji first met!
Can't wait for that moment! I love Asaichi too and I bet Asaichi will be the one who comfort and hug Hana when she was heart broken and devastated because of Eiji
:cry:

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 29th, '05, 09:52

Post by yanie » Jul 1st, '14, 05:24

I'll be posting my thoughts, a bit of transcript and a bit of summary of this drama, here, from time to time :roll http://yanie02.livejournal.com/tag/hanako%20to%20anne

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jul 1st, '14, 14:51

yanie wrote:I'll be posting my thoughts, a bit of transcript and a bit of summary of this drama, here, from time to time :roll http://yanie02.livejournal.com/tag/hanako%20to%20anne
Thanks. Keep this up.

:D

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 227
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 15:05

Post by kathia_sophia » Jul 2nd, '14, 20:23

mecchaumai thank you so much for taking this asadora to sub, I'm really grateful. I was going to watch Umechan sensei but the drama isn't subbed ;(
So, I'm really happy you're doing Hanako. Arigatou gozaimasu!

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jul 5th, '14, 16:57

kathia_sophia wrote:mecchaumai thank you so much for taking this asadora to sub, I'm really grateful. I was going to watch Umechan sensei but the drama isn't subbed ;(
So, I'm really happy you're doing Hanako. Arigatou gozaimasu!
You might want to watch Gochisousan which has 23 of 25 weeks already subbed with subs that will finish for sure. It is a good Asadora:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... ochisousan

Subs weeks 5 onward:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_147296.htm

Subs weeks 1 to 4:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_142082.htm

:-)

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 227
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 15:05

Post by kathia_sophia » Jul 5th, '14, 23:29

dhisashi wrote:
kathia_sophia wrote:mecchaumai thank you so much for taking this asadora to sub, I'm really grateful. I was going to watch Umechan sensei but the drama isn't subbed ;(
So, I'm really happy you're doing Hanako. Arigatou gozaimasu!
You might want to watch Gochisousan which has 23 of 25 weeks already subbed with subs that will finish for sure. It is a good Asadora:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... ochisousan

Subs weeks 5 onward:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_147296.htm

Subs weeks 1 to 4:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_142082.htm

:-)
Actually, I just saw yesterday week 23 :lol
But thank you for recommeding that amazing Asadora, it's been a fun and lovely ride for me, one of the best Asadoras I've seen so far.

It's a pity Umechan sensei doesn't have english subtitles, I understand a bit Japanese, but period dramas have diferent dialects, expressions and other diferent forms of Japanese language, so it's a impossible mission to watch without subs :cry:

When I finish Gochisousan, I'll finish Carnation, which I saw until ep 50.I also didn't finish Oshin yet, I'm so far behind :-(

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 227
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 15:05

Post by kathia_sophia » Oct 25th, '14, 08:48

yanie wrote:Of course, the script for this asadora is fictitious (based on true story) but it's always interesting to find out what the real story was like. Seems like the real-life Annaka Hana (model for Ando Hana) and Muraoka Keizo (model for Muraoka Eiji) were really one of a kind married couple back in the Taisho era. When everyone goes for omiai(arranged) marriage in that period, Hana and Keizo got married with love (ren'ai kekkon), they even sent each other love letters, the real Hana even made a note of their first kiss. And when all women in that era are the stay-home, housewife type... Hana was the working type... it was rare that time for both husband and wife working ... but Muraoka Keizo supported Hana's profession as a translator completely. They were married for more than 40 years. Such a heart-warming true story.[/spoiler]
Oh My!!! How amazing it is the true story Hanako is based on. It's so fascinating their love story and their unusual way of living on that era in Japan, even though Omiai still exists in Japan to this days.
I'm a fan of people that make a change in society, so I LOVE their story to pieces
Such a heart-warming story that will melt your heart, without a doubt!

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 29th, '05, 09:52

Re: [Discussion] Hanako to Anne

Post by yanie » Jan 18th, '15, 16:44

I subbed the Kouhaku special corner, in case anyone is interested :-)

31 December 2014 - Hanako to Anne Special Corner in Kouhaku Utagassen

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest