Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[Discussion] J-doramas for Film Fest Fans

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
rootabega

[Discussion] J-doramas for Film Fest Fans

Post by rootabega » Oct 7th, '14, 03:24

In recognition of the fact there are a quite a few film festivals happening all around the world at this time of year, I'm starting a list of J-doramas recommended for art-house movie lovers, cinema snobs of all stripes, and connoisseurs of "what the hell did I just watch?" in general. I'm doing this for selfish reasons - I hope fellow D-addicts will steer in my the direction of some overlooked gems. I'm partial to doramas with great/fresh-looking cinematography, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance for indulging my weird tastes.
:lol

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Oct 7th, '14, 03:52

I'll get things rolling by listing some examples:

Shiritsu Tantei Hama Maiku
Atami no Sousakan
Mitani Koki Daikuko 2013
Going My Home
Pan to Supu to Neko Biyori
Long Goodbye

All of these were made by acclaimed film directors (Long Goodbye's director is still relatively unknown, I believe). Shiritsu Tantei Hama Maiku was made by no less than eleven different cool directors! This can't be a coincidence. :P

maboroshinohikari
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by maboroshinohikari » Oct 7th, '14, 07:12

rootabega wrote: Shiritsu Tantei Hama Maiku
Atami no Sousakan
Mitani Koki Daikuko 2013
Going My Home
Pan to Supu to Neko Biyori
Long Goodbye
What a lovely list! :wub:
As for Daikuko, I might pick it up when I finish subbing Kanata no Ko. :roll

Long Goodbye's director, Horikirizono Kentaro, was one of the directors of Hagetaka and Gaiji Keisatsu. Last year he also directed Nanatsu no Kaigi.

I think Meoto Zenzai was pretty good, too.

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Oct 7th, '14, 15:12

I'm very partial to these quirky dramas, in no particular order:

Yorozu Uranaidokoro Onmyouya e Yokoso
Deka Wanko
Kuitan
GM Doctor
Galileo
Otenki Oneesan
Hero
Saiyuuki (with Eri Fukatsu)

The ensemble work and comedic timing are great, I loved the direction and writing, when I watch these it's like I entered an alternate universe, I love them! Plus, there are so many aspects of Japanese culture which are integral to the storylines, you can keep digging and digging and learning more and more. For me, I like it when the storylines feature a lot of flexibility of the quirky characters to grow and come to good understandings and harmony. I find that aspect is usually highlighted in many of these dramas.

xaxa

Post by xaxa » Oct 7th, '14, 16:24

wobblywalker wrote:I'm very partial to these quirky dramas, in no particular order:

Yorozu Uranaidokoro Onmyouya e Yokoso
Deka Wanko
Kuitan
GM Doctor
Galileo
Otenki Oneesan
Hero
Saiyuuki (with Eri Fukatsu)
no.

========

I'd add a lot dramas from WOWOW. they are very cinematic.
MOZU
Double Face
Watashi to iu Unmei ni Tsuite
Hitori Shizuka
Shokuzai (this one actually already was screened on a film festivals)
Camouflage
Soredemo, Ikite Yuku (probably)
MPD Psycho

============

btw, rootabega, where did you get Shiritsu Tantei Hama Maiku? I've managed to watch only 2 episodes, but couldn't get the rest.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 7th, '14, 16:42

The "what the hell did I just watch?" is just spot on for Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi. The fantastical plot gets overlooked by many because... who on earth watches a talking deer and half-baked schoolteacher try to save Japan? But it's just awesome how things come together. And it's got great shots of scenic Nara... and many many deer.

I second the Long Goodbye rec, watched it recently and really liked it.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Oct 7th, '14, 18:29

maboroshinohikari wrote:
rootabega wrote: As for Daikuko, I might pick it up when I finish subbing Kanata no Ko. :roll
Oh, maboroshinohikari, you tease :w00t:
I think I have to calm down a little bit at the thought of subs for Daikuko. :sweat:

Thanks for the background info on Long Goodbye's director. His pedigree in TV so far is not bad at all. I hope he will enjoy a long and productive career.

Meoto Zenzai definitely belongs on the "cinematic dorama" list.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Oct 7th, '14, 19:12

wobblywalker

Thank you for your list. I haven't seen most of these doramas, except Galileo. You certainly have the right idea in what you wrote: good ensemble acting, direction and character development are vital.
Here's two more you might enjoy:
IWGP (Ikebukuro West Gate Park): more anarchic than cinematic, Kudo Kankuro burst onto the small screen with this dorama.
KEIZOKU (the 1999 dorama - not Keizoku 2, not not): again, not particularly cinematic, but treads the quirky path quite nicely, and does it earlier than a lot of the other wannabes.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Oct 7th, '14, 19:27

xaxa wrote:
btw, rootabega, where did you get Shiritsu Tantei Hama Maiku? I've managed to watch only 2 episodes, but couldn't get the rest.
I did get some eps from your wonderful raredoramasinfo.net (that is, if you're the same xaxa). Those "behind the scenes" extras were awesome, too. Sadly the whole P2P meltdown happened, and I lost my copies thanks to a virus.

I managed to DL the whole series following this link on D-A:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_61606.htm
Don't know if it's seeding right now. The files seem to play OK on my sad, old computer.

Thanks for adding to the list!

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Oct 8th, '14, 02:56

kitty10
Thanks for reminding me about Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi. I started watching that dorama years ago, but I didn't get past the first few eps - I guess I was too impatient for the weirdness to kick in. I will definitely take another look!

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Oct 8th, '14, 03:36

Thanks for your recommendations rootabega, it's funny, I bought a copy of IWGP many years ago but couldn't get through it, the subs were probably awful. Because I had a dvd copy I never saw a well subbed version. Been meaning to try it again, I like the cast. Curious about your statement that you were waiting for the weirdness to kick in on Shitaotoko Aoniyoshi, I had forgot about that one, and I only saw a few eps myself, but I thought it was bizarre from the get go. Definitely had that 'what the hell was that' vibe!

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 8th, '14, 10:39

rootabega wrote:kitty10
Thanks for reminding me about Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi. I started watching that dorama years ago, but I didn't get past the first few eps - I guess I was too impatient for the weirdness to kick in. I will definitely take another look!
The first episode is a bit slow and the drama does take a bit of time to set things up, but it's very rewarding if you manage to persevere to the end. At least I found that to be the case myself, but then I had Tamaki Hiroshi to help me through it :P I really enjoyed the historical tidbits about Nara and Japan in general, and found the whole set-up to be brilliant. The ending theme song was fantastic!

Another "what the hell did I just watch?" drama is Galcir, about a cowboy (Fujiki Naohito) from America getting involved with a group of malnourished girls and helping them solve their problems. Tons of whatthefuckery but pretty hilarious if you toss logic out of the door.

There's also Nodame Cantabile for all-round awesomeness :wub:

VampireXxX

Post by VampireXxX » Oct 8th, '14, 10:47

Don't forget Orange Days....i just watched it recently and i really think it's epic :wub:

so many stars and the most important thing for me is Shibasaki Kou in it :wub:

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Oct 8th, '14, 12:29

Yeah, I love Shibasaki Kou, did you see her in the movie Dororo? Another bizarro cinematic experience, I wondered how they could be so inventive and come up with so many weird demons, but I found later that many of those demon creations actually are part of Japanese lore, like inugami and that tree demon. I picked up a little book called Yokai Attack! which explains a lot of those little background tidbits, which I'm guessing people from Japan are already as familiar with as Americans are familiar with Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed. In Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi the concept of the giant catfish causing earthquakes really is old myth. I didn't know that when I first tried to watch it, but finding out that kind of stuff makes watching these dramas more enjoyable for me. In Yorozu Uranaidokoro, I read afterwards that many fox statues in Japan are featured carrying a piece of aburaage in their mouth, they supposedly love aburaage, if you'll notice, they keep cutting to scenes of the fox statues with something square in their mouth, that's a piece of aburaage. In ep 7 they are singing 'kon kon, kon kon', supposedly that's what the fox says in Japan. Getting back to Dororo, I really really wanted them to make the sequel as they said they would, but I read somewhere that the estate of the manga artist didn't like the first movie and wouldn't give the go ahead for the sequel. Sad, but I guess there were some inconsistencies in the movie, I think they blew their budget on the first spider demon and by the time it came to the rubber latex demons it was getting pretty cheesy.
TT

xaxa

Post by xaxa » Oct 9th, '14, 14:21

rootabega wrote:
xaxa wrote:
I did get some eps from your wonderful raredoramasinfo.net (that is, if you're the same xaxa). Those "behind the scenes" extras were awesome, too. Sadly the whole P2P meltdown happened, and I lost my copies thanks to a virus.

I managed to DL the whole series following this link on D-A:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_61606.htm
Don't know if it's seeding right now. The files seem to play OK on my sad, old computer.

Thanks for adding to the list!
I see, too bad there are no more seeders((
yeah, xaxa is me))

pearlyriver

Re: [Discussion] J-doramas for Film Fest Fans

Post by pearlyriver » Jan 7th, '15, 17:26

Is there any acclaimed movie director who also branch out into TV directing like Koreeda Hirokazu?