Only if you have time (2)
3%
STAY AWAY (1)
2%

Total votes: 645

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 5th, '05, 18:51

In response to Kyusaku...

Yeah, I agree with you wholeheartedly. So as not to spoil, I'll rename the two parts you were talking about to "#1" and"#2." #2 wouldn't have bugged me as much if it hadn't been so damn long. It seems as if they ran out of things to do at the end and were trying to fill out the episode to a proper time. If they would have shortened #2, and made #1 (which was HILARIOUS) longer, then I thought the episode would have been so much better.

But it was still a great episode...and the preview for #6...it's frightening!!

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 5th, '05, 20:54

About the whole Jinkama thing, when she discovered about Yamada being "Densha Otoko" I half expected that she might become a supportive character. Like the whole, annoying character showing their good side thing.
But instead it was just her giving him a hard time as usual. Boring :glare:

<- Oh, take a look at my new avatar! :P

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 5th, '05, 21:00

Yeah, they acted like it was a big deal, but come episode #5, it was just like water under the bridge. In fact, she was hardly in #5 at all. I like Jinnkama though...her "lunches" with Densha are always good for some laughs. But you know something's going to happen with her before the end.

Nice avatar...! But that's definitely the more "calm" side of Densha...

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 6th, '05, 01:00

Heh I made an avatar from a scene in ep 5. Using it on another forum. Not showing it here yet though, 5 is barely out.

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 6th, '05, 01:03

I'd like to see, Kyusaku! Link if you can!!

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 6th, '05, 01:13

Molokidan wrote:I'd like to see, Kyusaku! Link if you can!!
Sure!
I suggest clicking only if you've seen ep 5 or else you'll be spoiling the funniest part of the ep

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 6th, '05, 01:20

Ahh, that's great, Kyusaku!! (゚∀゚) Those two have such great chemistry. Maybe I'm just biased, though, because I'm a huge fan of S.E.

By the way, this may be a little off-topic, but how do you take gifs ? I assume you were taking it from the actual AVI file, right? I've been messing around with screencap taking-programs all day, but I've had no luck -- just black screens in the image files.

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 6th, '05, 02:14

Molokidan wrote:By the way, this may be a little off-topic, but how do you take gifs ? I assume you were taking it from the actual AVI file, right? I've been messing around with screencap taking-programs all day, but I've had no luck -- just black screens in the image files.
Yeah sure I'll PM you some info as to not go off-topic here.

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 6th, '05, 06:24

Molokidan wrote:Ahh, that's great, Kyusaku!! (゚∀゚) Those two have such great chemistry. Maybe I'm just biased, though, because I'm a huge fan of S.E.
Ermm... Is that meant to be like SA? Shoujo Ai?

And now you mention it, there are some VERY suttle hints towards that scattered around the place. Didn't notice them before. Very nice :D

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 6th, '05, 06:51

Oh...well, my original intent was to mask Eri-chan's identity and simply put her initials...

But now that you mention it...Sudo-san and Eri-chan together...(;;()ω())...don't excite me like that!!

MOEEEE~!!!

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Aug 6th, '05, 12:49

I decided watching Densha Otoko because there are so many downloads (more than 2000) and I thought this drama must be really good.
And it is!!! I´m loving Densha Otoko and the way they develop the plot.
There are many stupid things (like that S.W.A.T thing on the convenience store - it was kind of... ridiculous!), but almost all things on this drama are really really funny.

Itoh Atsushi as Densha Otoko is perfect! His acting is the funniest I´ve ever saw!
And like some of you said before, I guess he´s gonna get stronger and stronger along the episodes, but we cannot wait, IMO, that he´s gonna be an ultra-courageous man. People don´t change that much.
What he did on the beach (ep. 04), it was really brave if you think some people prefer the easier way, the lie, than be honest and tell the truth.

About Densha Otoko asking for help to the forum guys... OK, Yamada must believe himself more, asking for help for everything is exagerated and show his weakness, but let´s see his situation: he´s an otaku, never dated any girl in his entire life, he lives in the "fantasy world", so of course he doesn´t know what to do and need to ask for help! Specially because the girl is Ito Misaki, who is really gorgeous. So, analysing his situation and his personality, I don´t think it is an irritating thing to ask for help to his forum friends.

One last thing: Ito Misaki is probably the most beautiful japanese actress right now, but someone needs to tell her she needs a LOT of acting lessons.

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Aug 6th, '05, 15:31

shiruchan wrote:There are many stupid things (like that S.W.A.T thing on the convenience store - it was kind of... ridiculous!), but almost all things on this drama are really really funny.
One last thing: Ito Misaki is probably the most beautiful japanese actress right now, but someone needs to tell her she needs a LOT of acting lessons.
That S.A.T. scene was one of the most hilarious scenes ever!! It's firmly in my top 3 list of funniest scenes for that drama. What makes it funny is because this is a live action drama, you don't see it coming. There's that initial surprise that immediately leads to the recognition that it's imitating anime. Then they keep it coming! S.A.T guys appear out garbage cans (ROFL!), then delivery trucks, then finally helicopters. All around a convenience store, no less! The extent that they take it is what makes it work, and it really is an inside joke type of thing. I can certainly see how some people might not care for it, but for people who grew up watching anime, it's just too funny.

A lot of people criticise this drama for it's over-the-top portrayal of various stereotypes, but I have no problem with this. The openning sequence already hints at it, but the S.A.T. scene, as well as the sewer drain scene all show that this drama was produced to imitate anime. Whether or not any of those scenes existed in the original mangas, I think it's fairly clear the directors were aiming for precisely this effect, and I think it's appropriate given that the story revolves around the life of an anime otaku. In that light, I don't think any of the characterization is too far out of place. I was really surprised that there were so many complains about it on the Animesuki Forums. I figured if it was anyone, they would be the ones to understand this best.

Misaki-chan... Yep, georgous. In the first couple of episodes, they were deliberately fuzzying up scenes with her to give her a dreamier look, and since then most of the shots of her were taken in dark places or with artificial lighting, so we couldn't really see her well. The ep. 06 previews show her out in the sun! Finally! My wishes have been granted. :P

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 6th, '05, 15:57

I agree with greyhorse! Some dramas can be over-the-top in a bad, cheesy way...but I think Densha Otoko really hits it right on the spot.

Just take ep #5, Sudo-san strangling Eri-chan and lifting her straight into the air...these things just don't happen in real life. Or the fiery explosions that always accompany Densha's lunches with Jinnkama-san. It's not realistic, but somehow it works...

Additionally, I wonder what the producers had in mind when they were casting each of the separate forum posters. Here are just my ideas on some:

We have the baseball fanatic (the mustached guy)
The nerdy high school student (the guy with round glasses)
The "Moe" super-pervert (with the parted hair)
Army Freak (you can't miss him...)
Weirdo Cosplayer Girl (in the costumes..)
Makeup girl (the really cute one)
Old Housewife with nothing better to do (With the facepads)
salaryman with an inferiority complex (the guy with all the shoes on the racks)
Anime freak (the guy with the posters all over his room/glasses)
Manga? Freak (the guy with the flippy hair who looks like he writes from a store somewhere. Not sure about this one)
Sports Freak (the huge guy who's always holding vitamins)
Nasubi and his ?Wife? (I don't actually know what stereotype they would fit into...they're just funny.)
Punk dude (guy who's always smoking with the guitars)

It's weird, because it seems to me like everyone that's been "helped out" so far hasn't really fit into one of these stereotypes. The guy living in his car...he didn't LOOK homeless, the sports guy wasn't a total sports fanatic like our resident one, and so on and so forth. I wonder if we'll never get a peek into the lives of the regular forum posters? In any case...see if you guys can think of any more that I haven't, or if you disagree with some of mine, tell me...

preedledee

Post by preedledee » Aug 6th, '05, 16:24

I love this show

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 6th, '05, 17:02

Well, the series is very over-the-top in many of its situations. But that's what makes it so great. Those scenes are absolutely hilarious. If you really like the concept of this relationship, but prefer a more serious/realistic tone, then I suggest you should just see the movie instead. I think that's part of the reason the producers have made this drama so outrageous, as to not seem like re-hash of the movie that's in theaters at the moment. Also I'm not sure they could make the original story 10-12 episodes long.

My favorite poster has to be Punk/Rock otaku. Because I'm somewhat of one myself. Plus, the actor who plays him is in my favorite current tokusatsu series, Genseishin Justirisers.

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 6th, '05, 17:11

I've never seen the movie...I wonder if I wouldn't like it as much since I've seen the drama first. Especially from reading what you say, it sounds much more serious compared to the series -- and I think the comedy is obviously Densha Otoko's strong point.

ryan123

Post by ryan123 » Aug 7th, '05, 03:39

anyone know where to get the ost?

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 7th, '05, 04:50

Molokidan wrote:I've never seen the movie...I wonder if I wouldn't like it as much since I've seen the drama first.
I have a feeling it would work really well as a movie. I'm looking for it as we speak via P2P. I'm not allowed to upload it to d-addicts am I?
ryan123 wrote:anyone know where to get the ost?
There is a torrent with the opening/ending themes and some other music from the series here on d-addicts.

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 7th, '05, 05:26

D-addicts doesn't approve of movie torrents I believe. It's too close to copyright stuff, I think. I haven't seen the movie myself, but my friend who visited Japan recently has seen it and told me about it. He is also following the dorama. I've had some trouble finding the movie myself on JP P2Ps like winny. Lots of fakes floating around I.might just wait.

jinroh

Post by jinroh » Aug 7th, '05, 18:13

for some reason, that main actress reminded me of taiwanese top model chi-ling ... anyone think so ? :)

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 7th, '05, 22:59

^I think Misato is much prettier than yinling.

Oh yeah no movies on d-addicts, I'm even getting a bit nervous about OST.

Tao Libra

Post by Tao Libra » Aug 8th, '05, 04:19

Otaku Trivia Test: How many people besides me caught the Kamen Rider reference at the beginning of Episode 2? It's when he's imagining reasons why she isn't answering the phone, just after the little scene from the movie "Ghost" that he imagines.

Anybody who did catch it, and recognized it as a Kamen Rider reference, scores 5 Otaku Points.

If you can actually sing along with the theme song from Kamen Rider (which is the song they began to play during that sequence), score 25 additional Otaku Points.

I scored 30.

;-)

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Aug 8th, '05, 04:50

thanx alot greyhorse...eps 5 was great...
the preview for eps 5 cant be more misleading heh..

It is funny the way densha runs around Hermes, and the height difference really makes him look like a pet

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Aug 8th, '05, 04:55

wow, I thought this was the best eps yet! Nothing really annoyed me EXCEPT for one scene. I thought they made it too convenient for the Densha Otoko. But I did feel very sorry for him with his speech. =( poor guy. I wouldn't ostracize someone like him. If it were his other two friends tho... maybe o_O;; (sorry but they just seem like those mega-otakus that I'm scared/annoyed of...they seem like they lack self-control.)

and once again... Densha Otoko's supervisor rocks! That guy is awesome. ^__^ I haven't seen a "boss" like that since the boss of Matsu Publishing in the drama "itsumo futari de". Anyone remember him? "Go Racing Game!" LoL wtf?! lmao

also who plays that girl in the hospital (Kaoru) O_O.... wow. she's so cute ^^; my new fave girl in the series in terms of looks. heh. that's just my tastes tho ^^

I usually don't like the guys in drama series other than the hero but I think all the non-otaku guys are cool =) I even like Keisuke... that one scene where he was at work was funny. LoL! Ano chibi...::appears outta nowhere beside his co-waorker (Oikawa-san? i forgot his name):: hahahaha wow. eps 5 was really fun to watch =D and the preview looked interesting too. I like where this series is heading. The less they rely on comedy while he's on the forums, and the more comedy they have in his real life, then the more I'll like this drama

That intro song is growing on me too. It sounds so 80-ish (maybe it is? *shrugs*)

phew ok. me shut up now. greyhorse and junkboy rocks socks. ~__^

c1l1t

Post by c1l1t » Aug 8th, '05, 05:07

I find the main character extremely annoying, but the series keeps me wondering what's going to happen next.

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 8th, '05, 05:13

@c1l1t: Well, if the main character wasn't annoying, then the series wouldn't be really fun to watch, right?

@kusmog: I agree with you that Yamada's superior rocks! I always anticipate what the "boss" does next to Yamada in every episode.

Tao Libra

Post by Tao Libra » Aug 8th, '05, 05:31

That intro song is growing on me too. It sounds so 80-ish (maybe it is? *shrugs*)
Yup. 1981, to be specific. The song is called "Twilight," and it's the second track on the album "Time," by Electric Light Orchestra. They showed a commercial for the CD at the end of one of the episodes.

(Check it out here, if you're interested. The whole album is great.)

I recognized the song because I own the CD, though. I love "Time," and I actually bought it when it first came out in 1981, while I was still in high school -- of course, it wasn't on a CD then... it was one of those big, round black things with the spiral groove on the surface.

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 8th, '05, 08:44

Tao Libra wrote:Otaku Trivia Test: How many people besides me caught the Kamen Rider reference at the beginning of Episode 2? It's when he's imagining reasons why she isn't answering the phone, just after the little scene from the movie "Ghost" that he imagines.

Anybody who did catch it, and recognized it as a Kamen Rider reference, scores 5 Otaku Points.

If you can actually sing along with the theme song from Kamen Rider (which is the song they began to play during that sequence), score 25 additional Otaku Points.

I scored 30.

;-)
Semaru Shokkaa! Jigoku no gundan~

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Aug 8th, '05, 09:13

Kyusaku- finally read your spoiler you posted on Aug 5th =P aaaaand... I couldn't agree with you more with the second scene you mentioned. I didn't really mind it being drawn out cuz I ended up sympathizing (again =/) with Yamada as he was talking. What annoyed me the most was how convenient they made the situation. If they didn't make it that easy that whole speech would prolly never happen. nevermind he fact that it made it real sappy.

and about the first thing you mentioned. omfg... soooo hilarious! I never thought I'd see Eriko Satou act like that! she even looked frightened the entire time! AWESOME!!! bwahahaha. and that jumping scene with those two!! hahahahaha so cute yet so hilarious! I'm so happy Eriko can act like this! After watching her in Koi ni Ochitara, I was disappointed in her acting (prolly cuz of the role she got in that series... she just kept repeating one line and was like a clone of that cooler bartender from HERO =P) but this is indeed a new light. I also think she looks so much cuter when she's happy. ^^ bah.. she needs to smile more often in this series. She was also cute in that bridge scene the eps before when she was talking to Saori and told her something like "...is what a friend would say." so cute =D

I want Oikawa to be closer to Yamada... maybe he can somehow make him stop being a coward. I noticed he's stuttering alooot less in eps 5 (prolly why I enjoyed it so much! XD)! He seems pretty cool and sorta funny in a subtle sort of way. and yes I can't wait to see what Yamada's boss will do to Yamada next eps! He's so damn eccentric, it's funny.

and about the internet ppl.. they do have their funny moments, even with me. ^^;; some of the ppl's mannerisms are funny to me... like that salaryman guy doing that 1, 2, 3 thing... LoL! wtf was that? lol

I'm really loving the comedy outside of his internet routine though. Of course the series would be whack without it but I liked how the series is expanding with the bro, that guy (long vacation guy o_O;; ), even his otaku friends. Those internet friends are still too corny for me =_=;

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Aug 8th, '05, 23:08

I think I just started laughing out loud towards the end of episode 3...other than that, I was trying to get used to idea of the forum members' interest on a virtual person's love life...Maybe because when I try to relate it here at D-A, I think of yangkuang, and when I think of yangkuang, I think of the ignore button...
Nonetheless, I'm not annoyed with Yamada like some people are...I was even saying to myself how good his acting is...all the shaking and stuttering seem real to me...He is a genuine loser.
This drama sort of reminds of some hollywood movie I've seen before...

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 8th, '05, 23:25

jaycee05 wrote:when I try to relate it here at D-A, I think of yangkuang, and when I think of yangkuang, I think of the ignore button...
I couldn't agree with you more because I was annoyed by yangkuang and his pathetic threads that dealt with himself.

taro

Post by taro » Aug 8th, '05, 23:45

I have to admit I felt episode 5 to be one of the weaker ones. I just couldn't quite swallow the stalker being talked out of his obsession, which was portrayed as pretty extreme obsession. Maybe this episode was almost being too serious?
I loved the SWAT (I forget what acronym they used) sequence. So over the top, but it works because the whole situation is really over the top. But it's like how sometimes you feel events are happening to you. In reality, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to find a new charger, esp in Tokyo, but you know you have those days where little things happen one after another and it builds up to feel like what Densha went through.
Sato Eriko is doing a decent acting job here. If you want to see some delicous bad acting (not to mention over the top cheezyness) go watch the Cutie Honey live action movie! I have to give much praise for the "ketsu" shot in one of the previous Densha Otoko episodes.
And about the realism of the forum, I believe the forum is actually a singles and relationship forum kind of thing so advice going around wouldn't be unheard of. What happened to the abused wife member, I seem to not see her recently. I find the traveller member to be really kind of bizzarre.

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Aug 9th, '05, 00:06

taro wrote:I have to admit I felt episode 5 to be one of the weaker ones. I just couldn't quite swallow the stalker being talked out of his obsession, which was portrayed as pretty extreme obsession.
I liked the series up to that point, the stalker acting like that and breaking down after being asked "are you the stalker" was really retarded and it ruined the whole series for me.

Maybe I'm picky and I want realistic situations but then again why would I watch dramas just for the REAL situations :lol

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Aug 9th, '05, 07:54

enuyasha wrote:
taro wrote:I have to admit I felt episode 5 to be one of the weaker ones. I just couldn't quite swallow the stalker being talked out of his obsession, which was portrayed as pretty extreme obsession.
I liked the series up to that point, the stalker acting like that and breaking down after being asked "are you the stalker" was really retarded and it ruined the whole series for me.
yeah that stalker scene was really lame. Even Onizuka from GTO (manga and drama) had to kick some ass in the persuasion process in a somewhat similar situation. But I don't think the entire eps was weak just cuz of that one scene. =/ Imagine if it was someone more malicious... maybe even lead up to a to be continued to the next epsiode situation. it would've made it real awesome (to me anyways). prolly finally put his balls to the test. -__-;

of all the "pity" scenes yes, eps 5's was the weakest. eps 1's was definitely the strongest in my opinion. but 3-5 minutes shouldn't ruin the rest of the 15-20 minutes of the episode, much less the series.

sorta off-topic but i feel like i've seen that guy who plays the stalker before... is he stalking me??? =O j/k... I mean I think I've seen him in another drama... "Shinsengumi", maybe?

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 9th, '05, 13:57

I actually thought episode 5 was pretty good, it's just the stalker part that was a bit odd, i thought the stairs part was a too long but I didn't think it was really bad or anything..
I don't think he was the killer stalker that the poster was on about, I just think he was in love with Hermes and a bit of a nutter :D

What was with the ending? she stepped closer to him then he looked shocked and then it cut right to the song, it happened too fast.. I'm starting to wonder if my copy is a bit broken :P

ooh and next weeks looks good, Jinkama & Yamada then he's found out at the beach :O

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 9th, '05, 16:27

kusmog wrote:
of all the "pity" scenes yes, eps 5's was the weakest. eps 1's was definitely the strongest in my opinion. but 3-5 minutes shouldn't ruin the rest of the 15-20 minutes of the episode, much less the series.
That scene was almost 10 mins long, as well as being the climax of the episode. It being the climax kinda weighs heavy on the episode, at least I think so. It didn't ruin the show for me, but the scene was very unusual and I had an extremely difficult time trying to sympathize. Especially when the main character is equating himself to a stalker. Even stalkers wouldn't normally call themselves stalkers, I think. Never in my life would I equate myself with a stalker. It was just going a little too far I think.

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Aug 9th, '05, 17:46

I totally agree with you, Kyusaku.
And I also think that ep. 05 was the weakest one, like taro said. It wasn´t funny and I found it a bit boring.

But I must confess I´ve cried when Densha Otoko started talking about himself. Kawai soooo!!!!

tianj

Post by tianj » Aug 9th, '05, 18:24

Spanish speakers: FYI
atención. Densha Otoko es traducido en espanol.

Densha Otoko is been Spanished subbed and it appears to be hardcoded.
http://conecta2.org/c2jimaku/?cat=16

Here's the torrent:
Aqui esta la torrent:
http://bittorrent.frozen-layer.net/archivo.php?id=20472

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 10th, '05, 00:28

I still think that they cheated us in episode 5. The stalker wouldn't have bugged me as much if I didn't think that that scene had caused the dinner scene to be shorter. In the preview after Ep #4, they showed some scenes from the dinner, which made me think it would be a central part of the episode. Turns out it was just a ploy to get us excited. =P I wanted to hear the sea turtle joke!!!

I hope Ep #6 will be much better. It looks like great things will happen this time. People find out who hermes-san really is, the comic con, etc.!!

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Aug 10th, '05, 01:18

I wouldn't know about "cheated". In a drama like this, you have the central story line with the main characters, then you have the other characters scattered thru ought to add spice and comic relief. Although a different balance may have been more interesting to watch, the other characters in this drama aren't really important to the main story line, as opposed to other dramas where the supporting people have a more direct influence on what goes on.

Regarding the drawn out stairwell scene, I guess the director or script writer wanted to emphasize Densha's way of dealing with the stalker, and also to have the stalker understand Densha enough to pass on the picture with Hermes. This then leads to Densha's realization that maybe Herme enjoys his company more than he previously thought. Or something. I dunno, I was pretty bored with the whole scene too.

Did anyone else notice the director for the series changed starting from around ep.03? That epidsode didn't have the openning theme, so I didn't check it out, but starting ep.04 the director is different. The things you notice when subbing a drama... That whole S.A.T. scene musta costed a lot, but I miss those fun scenes. There's little originality going on at the mo, and so they better stick in a several more twists to keep this drama going. Let's all hope ep.05 is just an exception.

otaprince

Post by otaprince » Aug 10th, '05, 01:19

Here's my opinion on the stalker:

They have to give Hermes some actual reasons to fall for Train Man. So far, there is very little reason, in my opinion, why she would like him romantically.

Apart from saving her on the subway, why on earth should she fall in love with him? Does he make her laugh, make her happy, show her a good time? Not really. He just does a lot of crying, apologizing, and genuflecting.

Good show, though.

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Aug 10th, '05, 01:45

otaprince wrote:Here's my opinion on the stalker:

They have to give Hermes some actual reasons to fall for Train Man. So far, there is very little reason, in my opinion, why she would like him romantically.

Apart from saving her on the subway, why on earth should she fall in love with him? Does he make her laugh, make her happy, show her a good time? Not really. He just does a lot of crying, apologizing, and genuflecting.

Good show, though.
The same reason why Sizuka falls for Nobita in Doraemon.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Aug 10th, '05, 01:46

Good show, though.
Maybe she finds him adorable. It's hard to believe since she's so fine! However, it seem they could be more friends than lover. Has she mention anything about his looks to her friend? I don't remember. Plus, he haven't done anything romantic for her except just being there for her.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 10th, '05, 02:23

^ maybe thats what she is looking for? Someone who is there for her and won't cheat/lie on her like her last boyfriend.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Aug 10th, '05, 07:02

Ruroshin wrote:^ maybe thats what she is looking for? Someone who is there for her and won't cheat/lie on her like her last boyfriend.
I just feel that she's using as a rebound for her last b/f. She sometime gets upset when people talk about her ex. If she didn't care about her ex, she shouldn't have those feelings. It seem she's using him to get over her ex. However, it's still early in the series. Maybe their relationship will build up some more.

BTW, what exactly is an 'otaku'? Is it a ' nerd, geek, anime freak '?

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Aug 10th, '05, 08:20

crazylife123 wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:^ maybe thats what she is looking for? Someone who is there for her and won't cheat/lie on her like her last boyfriend.
I just feel that she's using as a rebound for her last b/f. She sometime gets upset when people talk about her ex. If she didn't care about her ex, she shouldn't have those feelings. It seem she's using him to get over her ex. However, it's still early in the series. Maybe their relationship will build up some more.

BTW, what exactly is an 'otaku'? Is it a ' nerd, geek, anime freak '?
yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Rebound. Apparently she's been avoiding guys after the break up with her last boyfriend (this is clear in the omiai rejections and her conversations with Ayumi) until Yamada conveniently lets himself into her life by saving her in the train. She also seems like a naive person.

otaku is slang for a person too obssessed with anything. so yeah, there are anime otaku, but also many other kinds. they're a like species =O

Romance

Post by Romance » Aug 11th, '05, 01:53

Good show, though.
Have you never just liked someone? It cant be explained 8)

Xander_Kross

Post by Xander_Kross » Aug 11th, '05, 13:47

I was watching Densha episode 6 on TV now and i had to turn it off half way through. I won't spoil it but from what I saw I am mad!

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Aug 11th, '05, 15:26

Xander_Kross wrote:I was watching Densha episode 6 on TV now and i had to turn it off half way through. I won't spoil it but from what I saw I am mad!
Interesting comments Xander_Kross...mad because you don't like the episode or mad because you saw something you couldn't stand watching? Well, I might get to watch what happens later on tonite or tomorrow...depend if greyhorse is busy or not.

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 11th, '05, 16:26

Xander_Kross wrote:I was watching Densha episode 6 on TV now and i had to turn it off half way through. I won't spoil it but from what I saw I am mad!
Oh noes! I'll be sure to check winny for the episode so I can see what you're talking about.

Xander_Kross

Post by Xander_Kross » Aug 12th, '05, 03:19

I love the show. I was mad because I couldn't watch what was happening!

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 12th, '05, 03:21

Xander_Kross wrote:I love the show. I was mad because I couldn't watch what was happening!
I can understand the point where you were mad, but the events afterwards turn out to be really good, and the ending was pretty crazy. The next ep preview also shows that ep 7 will be pretty interesting as well. This ep didn't seem to disappoint like ep 5 did. I enjoyed ep 6 and you should probably watch the rest, Xander.

Xander_Kross

Post by Xander_Kross » Aug 12th, '05, 08:41

I will watch the rest. I just need to get over my desire to strangle one of the main characters :D

sonikokaruto

Post by sonikokaruto » Aug 12th, '05, 09:13

hi, this is my first post over here, and i really really really love this drama, it';s the first one i've ever watched, and i find it really really fun and intriguing (please don't spoil me anything plz ^__^y).

Also i;m so very identified with yamada (you would not believe how many coincidences there are, even the age and the keychains)

and yes, i also post my love life on the internet, and it's the same kinda thing u___u

if someone wants the link to that forum, i can provide it via pm cuz iotherwise it would be spamig.

ok, enough of boring you, great show and thanks for making it possibl for us to watch it!!!

japanmannz

episode 6!!!

Post by japanmannz » Aug 12th, '05, 11:00

wow!!!! thats all i can say about episode 6!! it was great!!! you feel so sorry for him sometimes but then other times he it\s the luckiest guy in the world!! especially being around a woman that looks like her!! ahh I hate it at the end when it justs stops like that!! fell like punching the screen when that happens!! haha!! 7 looks SOOOOOO good cant wait!!! but have to.... what to do till then.... sometimes you just wanna say HURRY UP to him cause he speaks so slow and stutters all the time!!! but he is cool!! if everyone had a kind personality like him the world would be a much better place! thank you so much for putting this on the internet! gets me lots of brownie points with the japanese girls here cause they really wanna see it! are we all otaku?!? thats been the big question for all of us. if we are sitting at a desk looking and reading this, or writing this as I am doing now then we are otaku! but I just had to write this cause 6 was SOOO good and cant wait till 7!!!!

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 12th, '05, 15:54

Bwaaaah!! Episode 6 was so good! It made up for episode 5, and then some!!

Anyway, I have spoilers to talk about, so I'll write in white (highlight to read if you have seen episode 6):
I laughed so hard when all the forum guys were in the same place. I was a little annoyed at the lameness at first, but i just started laughing when they all started saying hints to eachother, unsure whether it was the others or not. I wonder if any of them worked it out?
For the final scene I could barely look at my screen, as she was looking at Yamada, it was an agonising few seconds. Then the note that it ended on just had me pulling my hair out!!

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Aug 12th, '05, 16:09

So what did she say towards the end of the scene?

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 12th, '05, 16:29

Ep 6 stuff highlight if you watched.

Ep 6 was the ep to finally bring up an important conflict. Where Yamada showed if he really had changed, and he didn't. Which is why next ep it seems he will sacrifice his otakuness to be with Saori. At least they used the most important event to an otaku, Comiket. And it is the last Comiket after all. It was amusing to see that the idol at comiket even kept up with the board, that just shows how popular 2ch is in Japan. The ending was pretty heartbreaking and upsetting, but it's one of the typical situations to happen, where girl finds guy in some place he wasn't suppose to be. I really don't think Saori would be bothered if she knew he was an an otaku. The lying is more important to her. And she seems pretty sheltered so I'm not sure if she knows about the otaku stereotype.

There have been comments in this topic about how people don't think Yamada is much of a catch and shouldn't be with Saori. However, the current growing fad in Japan is older women settling for otakus because no one else is interested in them. Japan has this stereotype, where a woman must get married before she is 30. If a woman is not married and over 30 she is considered an old maid and stereotypically no one wants her. This is where the otaku comes in, the group of guys that no regular woman goes for except the desperate ones. They are starting to realize how otakus can make a good husband putting aside all the embarassing stuff like dressing up as Kamen Rider for their wedding or something.(read that happened somewhere) They're dependable, respectful, appreciative, and aren't really attractive to the opposite sex(so most likely won't cheat). Obviously Saori isn't desperate, but in this dorama's situation is about inner beauty. Which some of these desperate women in Japanese society are beginning to see.

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 12th, '05, 16:48

TIticamara wrote:So what did she say towards the end of the scene?

Here's a basical run down of her lines
"So, it wasn't work?" (He originally told her he had to work that day)
"To be honest, I was surprised."
You lied, didn't you?"
"Finally, again..."
"I believed you..."

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Aug 12th, '05, 16:54

Kyusaku wrote:
TIticamara wrote:So what did she say towards the end of the scene?

Here's a basical run down of her lines
"So, it wasn't work?" (He originally told her he had to work that day)
"To be honest, I was surprised."
You lied, didn't you?"
"Finally, again..."
"I believed you..."
Wowzor, he is in deep **** knowing the fact that Aoyama loathes liars.

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Aug 12th, '05, 20:27

This episode was definitely my favorite one so far, but it was also the most painful to watch...because it all is so real to me! In the past episodes, all the super-embarassing parts just made me cringe in agony because I could feel Yamada's pain! This episode was definitely a turning point though...if I was Yamada in the final scene, I simply would have committed seppuku right there. But from the preview, it looks like he shall press on. And that's why I think it's a very good thing that what happened, happened!

Spoilers below, but:
Like Kyusaku said, Yamada hadn't really changed at all. And now that he has damaged his relationship, he's really going to have to go all-out if he wants her back. And in that case...if he can make that final struggle...I think that he may finally prove himself worthy to have her within his grasp. It almost makes it seem like these episodes so far were simply the preliminaries. From here on out, he's really going to have to fight!!

Also: the scene in the coffee shop was just great. It looks like they're going to start meeting each other!! Did you notice that the Army Otaku was a guard at the Comiket? And the scene with Saori's dog biting Yamada's hand was great. Shows that the strange sense of humor of this show isn't gone after all!! I think the only possible downside that I could find in this episode is that we hardly saw Saori's two OL friends. But Jinnkama was back, with a vengenance! It was great.

Kyusaku

Post by Kyusaku » Aug 12th, '05, 21:31

Molokidan wrote: Spoilers below, but:
Did you notice that the Army Otaku was a guard at the Comiket?
Yes, that's why they had that scene with his father telling him to get ready for work, they made us notice him.

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 13th, '05, 05:53

Kyusaku wrote:Yes, that's why they had that scene with his father telling him to get ready for work, they made us notice him.
I noticed him at Comiket, but didn't connect it with that scene. Had to play the episode again to wokr out what you were talking about :P

It was so funny when densha was getting dragged away and the guy was like "What's your specs?!"

cytodex

Post by cytodex » Aug 13th, '05, 14:41

I agreed with what Kyusaku and Molokidan said.

Spoiler follows...

That's a turning point and it's going to be an uphill battle for Yamada who threw away the only virtue that Saori appreciates. That itself would make a good drama.

Well, things definitely would heat up in ep 7 and on. How about her family? A lot of troubles ahead for Yamada.

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 14th, '05, 11:02

cytodex wrote:How about her family? A lot of troubles ahead for Yamada.
I get the idea that Aoyama's brother is going to help out Yamada... so he should go okay with his backing...

Seravi

Anyone been talking about the OP?

Post by Seravi » Aug 14th, '05, 17:02

Hmmm...being a big anime fan I'm just wondering...I haven't seen much discussion about the animated OP. I almost died when I saw it. Gonzo, carrying the Gainax legacy, did a tribute to Gainax's origins by doing a spoof on the Daicon III and Daicon IV convention OP videos. If you watched Daicon, you will know how closely some of the best parts of that convention OP, including an early use of Computer Assisted Animation were spoofed. Only a hardcore anime fan could have done that so well...LOL. Looks like carrots beat out the radishes.

This, along with the "Hermes, not the one with Lala in it..." made me DIE laughing. (Hermes is pronounced as Eh-ru-me-su which is the mobile armor that Lala Sun piloted in the original Gundam series...ah but I digress.)

Sometimes this show hits a little too close to home for me. I'm an anime otaku married to a princess as well. Well, we are separated now...but in any case I hope things end up better for Densha Otoko. Heh.

cytodex

Post by cytodex » Aug 14th, '05, 21:45

Side question on Japanese Honorifics:

Are there any reasons the two otaku friends of Yamada calling him Yamada-shi all the times?

If they are close friends as they seem, wouldn't it be more appropriate to address him as Yamada-chan or Yamada-kun?

Could anyone explain a bit on that? Thanks.
Last edited by cytodex on Aug 14th, '05, 21:57, edited 5 times in total.

cytodex

Post by cytodex » Aug 14th, '05, 21:50

KameSan wrote:
cytodex wrote:How about her family? A lot of troubles ahead for Yamada.
I get the idea that Aoyama's brother is going to help out Yamada... so he should go okay with his backing...
I think this drama needs more antagonists. The forum followers are big supports of Yamada. The OL is the obvious antagonist now. To make for a good drama, you need to have a few more people not on Yamada's side...

JewpinTheThird

Re: Anyone been talking about the OP?

Post by JewpinTheThird » Aug 14th, '05, 22:25

Seravi wrote:Hmmm...being a big anime fan I'm just wondering...I haven't seen much discussion about the animated OP. I almost died when I saw it. Gonzo, carrying the Gainax legacy, did a tribute to Gainax's origins by doing a spoof on the Daicon III and Daicon IV convention OP videos. If you watched Daicon, you will know how closely some of the best parts of that convention OP, including an early use of Computer Assisted Animation were spoofed.
I too noticed this being a big fan of Gainax productions. Though I hadn't seen the actual convention videos, I did now that they synced it with ELO's "Twilight".

I was in Oosaka not to long ago, unpacking in my hotel room with my friend when I heard "Twilight" piping from the television. I didnt pay much attention to what show was playing at the time (I didnt know about Densha Otoko at the time), but my comment to my friend was "Damn, Electronic Light Orchestra must huge in Japan!" He wasnt familiar with ELO so I just let it drop.

Anyway, it wasnt until I got home, 3 weeks later, that I found out Densha Otoko was a dorama series. I had seen the show advertised much (though I did actually watch part of episode 4 at my host family's house.) The Densha Otoko movie however was advertised up the ass in Tokyo. Which is what sparked my interest; I wanted to know what Densha Otoko was.

KameSan

Post by KameSan » Aug 14th, '05, 22:46

cytodex wrote:Are there any reasons the two otaku friends of Yamada calling him Yamada-shi all the times?
From my udnerstanding of it, using "shi" is a very awkward/strange way to be reffering to someone, particularly someone you know well. It's just there to fortify the fact that those guys are... well... for lack of a beter word, "wierd". It makes them extra geeky :P

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Aug 14th, '05, 23:31

Darn, another reminder that my "Guide to Densha Otoko" is sorely late.

The shi is indeed fairly formal as you two have already figured out. It's commonly used in a lot of technical (often times hobby related) publications*, and looks to be used in this case to imply respect for each other's expertise in Otaku related subjects.

*This is the case with the Japanese DIY electronics scene anyway. That's all I'm familiar with, but its use in this drama suggests it's used elsewhere too.

Xander_Kross

Post by Xander_Kross » Aug 15th, '05, 11:59

I asked my wife about the -"shi".

She said it was a very formal and awkward way of addressing someone. She said it is never said amoungst friends.

And now when I address her with a "shi" at the end, she yells at me and tells me not to address her in "Otaku fashion".

BTW, does anyone know where the big "LOVE" structure is in Tokyo (the popular meeting place where Yamada meets Saori and her friend)? I have been living in Tokyo for almost 4 months and haven't seen it. I know previous posts had put it in Shibuya or Shinjuku. Anyone know for sure?

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Aug 15th, '05, 13:49

it' s in Shinjuku near the island tower.

cytodex

Post by cytodex » Aug 15th, '05, 14:28

greyhorse wrote:The shi is indeed fairly formal as you two have already figured out. It's commonly used in a lot of technical (often times hobby related) publications*, and looks to be used in this case to imply respect for each other's expertise in Otaku related subjects.

*This is the case with the Japanese DIY electronics scene anyway. That's all I'm familiar with, but its use in this drama suggests it's used elsewhere too.
Thanks, Greyhorse-san and KameSan.

It makes total sense now. The obsession that "Otakus" possess is not only a culture but also an expertise/field that demands formality. I see that now with your insights.

If I keep on posing questions like that, I might soon address you as Greyhorse-shi or KameShi, just kidding. :lol

softgun84

Post by softgun84 » Aug 15th, '05, 19:24

does anyone have subtitle 1-5? i found some at wachi but the link just wont work. Thanks