7%
Only if you have time (2)
3%
STAY AWAY (1)
1%

Total votes: 819

mumyosai

Post by mumyosai » Oct 30th, '05, 00:29

Thanks for all the work in bringing this series to us so fast. HYD is one of my favorites. There are lots of derivative storylines out there, but I'm glad to see another version of the original.
Hehe. I can see some people are disappointed with Doumyouji vs. Rui screentime/portrayal. Kamio Youko actually intended Tsukushi to end up with Rui. She did the Doumyouji pairing instead because he won in a popularity contest in the magazine her manga was puiblished in. http://www.hanadan.net/main.html (in manga section at the end of Yoko Kamio info) So this is a bit more faithful to the author's true intentions. It'll be interesting if the dorama will keep the Doumyouji pairing or be completely revolutionary at the end. :scratch:

One of my favorite characters from HYD is Junpei. I think his friendship with Tsukushi eventually becomes sincere, and they definitely share the alienated feelings at Eitoku. Even though he's a bad guy, he does repent at the end and gives up on his revenge. This is a random guess, but they might combine the characters of Junpei and Kazuya later on. It'd work as the plot device for Tsukushi's new haircut (if they decide to use it in the dorama), and represents the first time Tsukushi realizes that Doumyouji cares for her and would do anything for her. Here's crossing my fingers for a Junpei in this dorama. :D
I'm enjoy this series very much. HYD is doing a nice job of condensing the storyline so far, and the casting is pretty good. I'm glad that some of the music is reminiscent of the anime. It's very nostalgic. No violin solos from Rui? :-(

Though the tone is different from the manga, this interpretation can hold it's own. :thumleft:
Last edited by mumyosai on Oct 30th, '05, 01:35, edited 4 times in total.

pifernac

I love This drama

Post by pifernac » Oct 30th, '05, 00:38

I don´t care about wicth version is better.... maybe the manga, maybe the anime....
I don´t know...
Only the certain thing is that this version of the drama is very good and doesn´t have to be equal to the others, otherwise better only we read the Manga or we see animé.
In other words, I prefer to see something different from which already I saw, to be able to surprise me... I believe that the Rui´s rol is different, but I prefer more like this... he is more attractive... but, it is true that the poor Tsukasa seemed not to exist...

BUT... I LOVE THIS VERSION A LOT....

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 30th, '05, 00:43

I think it'll pretty unlikely to see Junpei, Amon or any other of the later characters since they'll probably only deal with the Tsukushi / Doumyouji / Rui love triangle, considering there won't be more than 9 episodes.

According to what you wrote in the spoiler box, where did you get that information from? It's really sad to hear that, actually. Even though things turned out differently, I still don't like she ever even had it in her mind. :|

*goes to sleep*

makino_sanbr

Post by makino_sanbr » Oct 30th, '05, 01:12

Kathleen wrote: Dearest fans of the drama, I sincerly wish from the bottom of my heart that
you're feeling the same way.
?@?@
I've already gotten the script before to see how cute Doumyouji's genuinely
and innocently expressed lines are, and the F3 are too funny for the resulting
confusion.
I'm so happy about the great script writer.
"To come this far!" was what the author and the fans enjoyed about its script.
And I can't wait to find out how they will play next.

They had a long way, everyone from the stuff, the whole cast, ?@?@
Please take good care of yourselves.
?@
It turned out so great, I'm cheering on you from in front of my tv.
?@?@
Kamio Youko
:O
Oh my god!!! Oh my god!!!
:cry:
Really! thank you for translated this... from the bottom of my heart...
You have no idea... but I'm a truly huge fan from Hanadan...
It's my favorite history.. in manga,anime,drama... however...
And when i saw the first ep ..I was think" How Yoko Kamio will be think about this"
and what she said about Tsukasa.... made me cry...
sometimes i think that I my head don't work well... because i think that the mostly of people don't get how Tsukasa is...
And when people said that Matsumoto Jun wasn't good..
I don't agree..
tsukasa is stupid,violent... but mostly is lonely... and genuine... just like a kid. And is it that make him so lovely.
In the main history line from manga.. you take sometime to get to know how truly is this character...
So when i so the first ep.. i thought:
"Well because this condensation they are already showing all about Tsukasa... this lonely anger...this lonely violence"
and i thought that Jun was good ... He can tell this only looking at you...
And in this second ep.. was perfect...
I have to tell... that
I was so worry about only be 9 ep...
but they show in the second that they can do.. even if is different...
There is the main line, emotions, feelings...
I hope that will be this good at the end...
I was so happy to see Yoko Kamio saying the same thing that i think....
:-)

mumyosai

Post by mumyosai » Oct 30th, '05, 01:41

Kathleen wrote:According to what you wrote in the spoiler box, where did you get that information from?
The link to my reference is now in my original post. Sorry I've been looking for a while but couldn't find anything more official.

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Oct 30th, '05, 01:48

Kathleen!
Thanks so much for helping to translate this!
It's wonderful.
I think our timezones are opposite and i was sleeping while you were posting this.
Actually i feel really bad coz someone else also translated it in a different forum. But due to the reverse timezones i haven't yet posted it up here... i just woke up...T_T

Still a huge thank you!

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Oct 30th, '05, 01:56

makino_sanbr wrote: And when people said that Matsumoto Jun wasn't good..
I don't agree..
tsukasa is stupid,violent... but mostly is lonely... and genuine... just like a kid. And is it that make him so lovely.
In the main history line from manga.. you take sometime to get to know how truly is this character...
So when i so the first ep.. i thought:
"Well because this condensation they are already showing all about Tsukasa... this lonely anger...this lonely violence"
and i thought that Jun was good ... He can tell this only looking at you...
And in this second ep.. was perfect...
Oh, who said Matsumoto Jun as Tsukasa is bad? I don´t think he´s bad at all.
I agree with everything you said. I see Tsukasa just as you said above. And I think Jun is doing a good job. At least, he can tell by his look that he´s a lonely and a sad person. Of course another actor could do it better - maybe Oguri Shun - but who knows? I´m satisfied with Jun´s portrayal of Tsukasa - as a manga fan that I am.

tUrtleAE86

Post by tUrtleAE86 » Oct 30th, '05, 04:36

Makino looked hawt after getting dolled up by Shizuka.. kind of reminded me of Yada Akiko for some reason :wub:
Sada Mayumi is okay as Shizuka, but I think I like Shizuka equivalent from the TW version better. Her name is Winnie Qian Wei Shan.

http://ent.qq.com/final/entshowpic.htm? ... 0014/7.jpg
http://www.people.com.cn/mediafile/2004 ... 400000.jpg

scstyle
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by scstyle » Oct 30th, '05, 05:33

I think Junpei will most likely be included, since it is an important part in the storyline and a pivotal point as far as Makino/Doumyouji relationship arc goes.
The Japanese F4 is really starting to grow on me...especially Matsumoto Jun's portrayal of Doumyouji. We are also starting to see a softer side to his character and a change to his facial expressions as he looks at Makino e.g: the time he yells for the students to stop throwing things at her and when he sees her smiling at Rui at that evening party/function. Another sad part was when Makino gets bullied by the three bitchy girls at the party and Doumyouji gets up and walks towards them (most likely trying to stop the girls from bullying her) but gets intercepted by Rui who gets to Makino before he does.

I personally have nothing against Oguri, but his Rui is way too nice and kinda smiles too much... :lol
Last edited by scstyle on Oct 30th, '05, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 30th, '05, 05:46

scstyle wrote:when he sees her smiling at Rui at that evening party/function.
I especially liked this part, mainly because it really hit home that no scene in this drama is wasted. I was wondering why they changed the confrontation with her at the mansion, but the way they tied it into him demanding that she smile for him, and her getting furious as contrasted to the way she naturally smiled for Rui was great.

This episode really managed to highlight how clumsy Tsukasa is when it comes to his growing feelings. He gets hurt when she doesn't react the way he wants her to, even though he went about it completely the wrong way. He gets jealous, so he bullies those around her in retatilation, but he also can't stand to see her hurt. He tries to protect her without thinking, but Rui gets there first or does him one better.

Poor Tsukasa. You're an ****, but I can't help loving you. :D

-

cupids

Post by cupids » Oct 30th, '05, 05:55

i watched the first ep! damn nice!!! now i am interested in the anime ((: anyone know where to dl the anime v of hyd??

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Oct 30th, '05, 06:04

Hey, does anyone remember the site that had the hana yori dango manga on bittorent? I remember I downloaded the complete set a few months ago, but I deleted it since I didn't think I was going to finish reading it. Thanks!

moonlit

Post by moonlit » Oct 30th, '05, 06:05

musouka wrote:
I especially liked this part, mainly because it really hit home that no scene in this drama is wasted. I was wondering why they changed the confrontation with her at the mansion, but the way they tied it into him demanding that she smile for him, and her getting furious as contrasted to the way she naturally smiled for Rui was great.

This episode really managed to highlight how clumsy Tsukasa is when it comes to his growing feelings. He gets hurt when she doesn't react the way he wants her to, even though he went about it completely the wrong way. He gets jealous, so he bullies those around her in retatilation, but he also can't stand to see her hurt. He tries to protect her without thinking, but Rui gets there first or does him one better.

-
So does this mean that by second episode, Tsukasa is already in love with Tsukushi? I'm really not clear since we don't have subs yet. Just judging my their facial expressions though, I can see what you're talking about (ie the way he stares at her intensely when she's getting attacked). Well I just think this drama going quite too fast, because by the end of episode 2, we're already at the "accidental kiss" scene which really doesn't work because in the manga, Tsukasa is supposed to be pleasantly surprised (though he is hiding it) and tsukushi is completely horrified; but in the drama, how can he already be at that stage when just before he wanted Tsukushi to lick his shoes?? LOL I'm looking into this way too deeply!!!! OK who knows.... but I look forward to Jun's cute expression following that kiss. XD

unkei

Post by unkei » Oct 30th, '05, 06:05

a lot of people seem really unhappy about the domyouji/rui characterisations, but that's the way it's supposed to work. in the manga, you're supposed to love rui in the beginning and despise domyouji to no ends~ and then once rui gets out of the picture domyouji starts shining like a beacon.

at the moment, the drama has achieved JUST that~~ everyone hates domyouji and loves rui, but at the same time, it's managed to reveal just enough of domyouji's insecurities, just enough of his growing feelings, just enough of his jealousy, to suggest what will/may happen later on. it's only episode 2, folks.

i think someone mentioned that there was a poll after the manga was finished that said rui was the more popular out of him and domyouji~~ but the special that aired before episode one in japan said the opposite~~ after asking about five fans, only one of them was a rui fan. i think a lot of ppl are rui-converted domyouji fans, because granted, domyouji was a total bastard in the beginning.

unkei

Post by unkei » Oct 30th, '05, 06:14

moonlit wrote:
musouka wrote:

-
So does this mean that by second episode, Tsukasa is already in love with Tsukushi? I'm really not clear since we don't have subs yet. Just judging my their facial expressions though, I can see what you're talking about (ie the way he stares at her intensely when she's getting attacked). Well I just think this drama going quite too fast, because by the end of episode 2, we're already at the "accidental kiss" scene which really doesn't work because in the manga, Tsukasa is supposed to be pleasantly surprised (though he is hiding it) and tsukushi is completely horrified; but in the drama, how can he already be at that stage when just before he wanted Tsukushi to lick his shoes?? LOL I'm looking into this way too deeply!!!! OK who knows.... but I look forward to Jun's cute expression following that kiss. XD
hehe sorry for double posting, but...
yeah, in episode 2, tsukasa isn't in love with tsukushi, but you get the feeling that he's FALLING in love with her. you can tell by the way he keeps getting flashbacks about her, and getting hurt by the way she rejected his 'offer' and the way she reacts to him, and getting jealous when she smiles for rui but not for him, and getting annoyed at rui for always stealing his spotlight. like even when he's primping himself he's got her dress nearby so he can reminisce some more. the way i interpret the shoe-licking scene is that he made an outburst to try to get everyone to stop throwing stuff at her, but then realised that he's gotta cover that up by being more evil. but you can tell by his expression that he really didn't want to do it. it's really cute, i think =D rui on the other hand, is nice to tsukushi, but obsessed with shizuka~~ hehe

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 30th, '05, 06:17

moonlit wrote:So does this mean that by second episode, Tsukasa is already in love with Tsukushi?
I wouldn't say "in love" yet. He's rather like how he was in the beginning of the manga/anime. He clearly likes (not "loves") her, but it is too much for him to accept and deal with so he convers it up by being a total jerk to her. She's made him feel very confused, in other words.
moonlit wrote:but in the drama, how can he already be at that stage when just before he wanted Tsukushi to lick his shoes??
What you have to keep in mind is that by that point, the situation has slipped from Tsukasa's control. There are just so many wonderful conflicting emotions in that scene!

1) Tsukasa is attempting to reassert control over his feelings and the situation by trying to make her lick his shoe. He couldn't stop himself from trying to step in when people strated throwing things at her, but he's not to the stage where he can admit to himself that he is beginning to like her.

2) This is just my conjecture, but I don't think he really "wanted" her to lick his shoe. Well, by that I mean that part of him wanted her to (the "I have to control this!" part), but the part that likes her doesn't. (I hope that makes sense) Just look at his expression when she begins to get on her knees. Very conflicted and torn.
unkei wrote:i think a lot of ppl are rui-converted domyouji fans
Amusingly enough, I've always been a Tsukasa fan from day one... Though some parts of the manga definitely strained my liking of him, I generally always hoped he'd win the girl.

-

scstyle
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by scstyle » Oct 30th, '05, 06:22

unkei wrote:a lot of people seem really unhappy about the domyouji/rui characterisations, but that's the way it's supposed to work. in the manga, you're supposed to love rui in the beginning and despise domyouji to no ends~ and then once rui gets out of the picture domyouji starts shining like a beacon.

at the moment, the drama has achieved JUST that~~ everyone hates domyouji and loves rui, but at the same time, it's managed to reveal just enough of domyouji's insecurities, just enough of his growing feelings, just enough of his jealousy, to suggest what will/may happen later on. it's only episode 2, folks.

i think someone mentioned that there was a poll after the manga was finished that said rui was the more popular out of him and domyouji~~ but the special that aired before episode one in japan said the opposite~~ after asking about five fans, only one of them was a rui fan. i think a lot of ppl are rui-converted domyouji fans, because granted, domyouji was a total bastard in the beginning.
I'm talking about Rui's character/personna during the earlier parts of the story. In the beginning of the manga/anime series - I wouldn't have classified Rui as 'nice' or 'friendly', he was just indifferent and did not really participate in all the hazing/bulling because it was not his sort of thing.There were even a few times when he had said to Makino not to make too much out of his 'kind' gestures. To be honest, in the beginning, I thought Rui was a bit of a jerk too - he was just not as vocal and abrasive as Doumyouji. That's why so far in this drama series, I've felt that Rui is a bit too nice? ^_~

Anyway, I've always been more of a Doumyouji fan and later in the manga series - I started liking Soujirou too. Unfortunately, I don't think they will include Soujirou's storyline in this drama =\

unkei

Post by unkei » Oct 30th, '05, 06:40

musouka wrote:Amusingly enough, I've always been a Tsukasa fan from day one... Though some parts of the manga definitely strained my liking of him, I generally always hoped he'd win the girl.
lol~~ i was a rui fan at the beginning, because i'm a sucker for cool and stoic bishounen =D but later on domyouji just won my heart.
scstyle wrote:I'm talking about Rui's character/personna during the earlier parts of the story. In the beginning of the manga/anime series - I wouldn't have classified Rui as 'nice' or 'friendly', he was just indifferent and did not really participate in all the hazing/bulling because it was not his sort of thing.There were even a few times when he had said to Makino not to make too much out of his 'kind' gestures. To be honest, in the beginning, I thought Rui was a bit of a jerk too - he was just not as vocal and abrasive as Doumyouji. That's why so far in this drama series, I've felt that Rui is a bit too nice? ^_~

Anyway, I've always been more of a Doumyouji fan and later in the manga series - I started liking Soujirou too.
hmm he did tell tsukushi in ep 1 that he wasn't doing it to help her, but because he disagreed with tsukasa's methods. in ep 2, he was being more genuinely nice to her, but i thought that was because he admired her strength and the way she stands up to f4. although i agree with you that he can smile and talk a whole lot less, but i guess the distinction is there because once again, it comes down to them needing to compact all 36 volumes into 9 episodes - the characters themselves must develop faster as well ^^

omg i just loved soujiro later on as well~ i doubt we'll see much of his little side-story, but it'd be great if they can develop it even a little =D

Ryo-sama

Post by Ryo-sama » Oct 30th, '05, 07:58

hmmm... i just finished watching HYD jdorama ep 1....

well, its ok... dunno, i first saw MG... and i'm sorry... but i just loved MG! MG2, ok, not that good... weak, yes... but the ending still made me feel good... haha... but i thought the acting was quite good...! *shrugs*

the jp. Tsukasa actor... dunno.. he really doesnt look the part.... hes kinda... thin... ^_^v i get the feeling he has bit of short man's complex... only cuz, he looks so small!! dunno... Tsukasa, i thought, was kinda buff-like, yknow? *shrugs* i'll just hafta keep watching... see if he grows on me...

and... OMG! the opening... its soooo cute and cheesy!!

Rui - hes cute... but a lil too happy, ne? imo

I DUNNO! i'm just still kinda partial to the TW F4... haha! they looked like bad boys, and just looked, "dont mess with us, or we'll take you down!"

jp. Makino is adorable! <3

I've read the manga... i just wuved it... haha! i looked at some of the art of the HYD anime and just stayed away from it... heh ^__^v

Dunno, i think the pacing is lil too fast in the jdorama... seems a bit rushed... I'm just gonna hafta see if it'll grow me.... heh heh heh ^_^v

LightningEmperor

Post by LightningEmperor » Oct 30th, '05, 08:07

Now I finally know the reason why Meteor Garden is so popular. :D

DuffFan

Post by DuffFan » Oct 30th, '05, 08:10

i kind of like the speedy pace that this drama is going at. this is only the second drama i have watched this year because i cant stand the slow pace of most dramas.

anyhow, shizuka says this in ep 2.
shizuka tells Makino that Rui has been telling her about her. and after speaking with Makino and dolling her up, Shizuka tells her she now understands why Rui likes Makino! so i gues by ep 2, it is already revealed that Rui likes Makino. which makes sense since Tsukasa has already subtly shown feelings and kissed her.
waiting for ep 3 is painful....... waiting for ep 2 was painful enough
good thing chinese fansubbers release it the next day xD 8)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 30th, '05, 12:21

@ Makino_sanbr: Wow... I just read what you wrote and... wow... I'm really happy to find someone who shares the exact same feelings I have about Hana yori Dango and especially about Doumyouji. I'm still sad about the 9 episode thing and it upsets me that Rui is more in the spotlight than Doumyouji is but I still love the show and I think it's awesome they went back on doing a drama of my all time favourite manga, even though there is already a taiwanese version (which I'm not too fond of though).

@mumyosai: Ah, I never read about that although I'm an active member of Aries' (webmisstress) community. However just because Rui was meant to be in the main role doesn't mean he was also to end up with Tsukushi. I'm actually surprised to hear this and I wonder where Aries got this information from, since it was a topic that was discussed in her forum whether or not Kamio-sensei was originally planning on laying the main focus on Rui instead. That's odd.

@fybabe: Don't mention it. Please just tell me where you found that letter. :)

@everybody:
I'm sure Doumyouji already has a thing for Tsukushi by the second episode. You can tell by just looking at his face when he stares at the dress Tsukushi wore before, and also when she's being bullied by the other students or by the Asai gang. Why else should he have taken her to his house? I personally wouldn't put expensive jewelries and make-up on someone I don't like. :P
However I'm kind of dissatisfied with the flow of the drama concerning the Doumyouji / Tsukushi relation. As I already pointed out in another thread, the two of them have already had some kind of relation in the manga / anime by the time of the happenenings that the second episode of the drama ends with. They talked quite a lot in the manga / anime, they fought, they even laughed and there was also a glimpse of them being friendly toward eachother, whereas they hardly interact with another in the drama which leaves me kind of sad.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 30th, '05, 12:41

musouka wrote: Amusingly enough, I've always been a Tsukasa fan from day one... Though some parts of the manga definitely strained my liking of him, I generally always hoped he'd win the girl.
I'm perfectly of your opinion, Musouka. I still think it wasn't a good idea to make him demand from her to lick his shoes but I'm pretty much sure he'd stopped her in time. What bugs me is, it's an arguable matter. Nobody can tell for sure he really wouldn't have let it come so far, hence there'll be a lot more Rui-fans among the Hanadan newbies. :(

I've always liked Doumyouji too, btw. I was actually never fond of Rui because I couldn't see what's so great about someone who tells some guys not to rape a girl. This is the least what you'd expect anyone to say in a situation like that, isn't? Just because the rest of the school is so nuts he seems like a prince but he often enough points out he's not even interested in other people. I don't mean to mad mouth Rui because I really like him in the drama and I liked him in the later manga volumes, too (although never only half as much as Doumyouji) but I'm really anything but a Rui converted Doumyouji fangirl. :P

@Musouka: which parts of the manga are you talking about? I seriously disliked him around volume 29 to 31. This was probably also when Rui won a huge part of Doumyouji's fans. Grmpf.
Last edited by Kathleen on Oct 30th, '05, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 30th, '05, 14:56

Kathleen wrote: I'm perfectly of your opinion, Musouka. I still think it wasn't a good idea to make him demand from her to lick his shoes but I'm pretty much sure he'd stopped her in time. What bugs me is, it's an arguable matter. Nobody can tell for sure he really wouldn't have let it come so far, hence there'll be a lot more Rui-fans among the Hanadan newbies. :(
But, keep in mind that they're probably doing this for a reason. I think they've done a great job setting up Tsukasa's character so far, while they allowed the Rui/Tsukushi relationship to take center stage. As well it should be. (To be honest, I also think they've actually softened Tsukasa when you compare him to the original)
We get much stronger hints of his lonliness in the drama, whereas we didn't get them in the manga until he went on his first date with Tsukushi.

He didn't command those guys to rape her in the drama, while in the manga he did.

They downplayed the "sister complex" thing by not having him directly compare Tsukushi to Tsubaki when he brought her to the mansion, making him less of a butt for jokes.

We see him wanting to protect Tsukushi twice, while in the manga about this time, he only saved her from Yuriko and her cronies laughing at her.
The writers of this drama really know what they're doing, and Matsumoto is doing an excellent job with his protrayal. I was watching the anime the other day, and it really stuck me just how well he mimicks Tsukasa's angry behavior. (The whole "getting in their faces quietly at first, then yelling", for example.)
Kathleen wrote:Musouka: which parts of the manga are you talking about? I seriously disliked him around volume 29 to 31. This was probably also when Rui won a huge part of Doumyouji's fans. Grmpf.
It's been so long since I've read the manga, I can't remember what happened in those volumes, but most of my struggle over liking him took place in the ealier ones. (The attempted rape was a big setback for me)

-

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 30th, '05, 15:58

But, keep in mind that they're probably doing this for a reason.
And this reason is probably Rui getting 2291votes for the most popular character whereas Doumyouji got only 1808 in the latest poll (according to the Hanadan FF Character book).
There are a lot of fans that are quite sad about Tsukushi and Rui not ending up together. The reviews on amazon.co.jp prove the majority of fans was drooling over each volume or chapter that enhanced Rui.
That aside they may have softened him as in terms of making us understand his loneliness and his family background. But I seriously wonder if they didn't just decide to do it this way due to the lack of time.
I think he has all in all far worse character traits than in the manga and anime. I mostly dislike him playing the entertainer and stitting on his throne like chair to watch people being humiliated. I think the real Doumyouji is a tetchy, aggressive and maybe even a slightly choleric person, but he's not a sadist. He never hits someone just to get a kick out of it. This is a major difference in my opinion.
We get much stronger hints of his lonliness in the drama, whereas we didn't get them in the manga until he went on his first date with Tsukushi.
... which will be in the next episode already. Therefore they are only 2 episodes ahead concerning his family background .
He didn't command those guys to rape her in the drama, while in the manga he did.
He doesn't in the manga either. He certainly did send some guys to do something to her but it is never told what in particular. Actually it's the exact same situation as in the drama.
They downplayed the "sister complex" thing by not having him directly compare Tsukushi to Tsubaki when he brought her to the mansion, making him less of a butt for jokes.
Yup, I agree with you. I was really glad they changed that part. I always found it kind of strange he was first interested in Tsukushi because she reminded him of his big sis.
We see him wanting to protect Tsukushi twice, while in the manga about this time, he only saved her from Yuriko and her cronies laughing at her.
If Shizuka's party in the drama is a mix of both the party in Atami and her birthday party, we have Doumyouji having "saved" her even three times by then. According to Tsukushi's own words he saved her in Atami when she was feeling lonely and he saved her (so to say...) when she was feeling sick at Shizuka's birthday party, too.
Aside from that I think the way he saved her from Asai and the others was a lot nicer in the anime / manga. So we didn't know by then about his loneliness and everything but we certainly got a hint there's more to him than a violent, spoiled guy. I think it was the first time he's being really serious, and also Tsukushi seems to see his friendly side for the first time which made this an important key scene in to me.
Furthermore I wouldn't downplay the fact her saved her "only" from being laughed at. Doesn't it make him even sweeter to save her from such rather harmless things, too? :D

The writers of this drama really know what they're doing, and Matsumoto is doing an excellent job with his protrayal. I was watching the anime the other day, and it really stuck me just how well he mimicks Tsukasa's angry behavior.
I never denied he's doing great. I love his acting. Despite of his height he portrays Doumyouji in an excellent way. I especially like the way he throws a tantrum. :mrgreen:
And I also like the way he looks at Tsukushi when she is about to lick his shoes. What I have my problems with is the script. It seems to me like the drama is some kind of consolation gift for all those who would've liked to pair up Tsukushi with Rui.
The attempted rape was a big setback for me
I've watched the anime first so this wasn't much of a surprise for me later when I read the manga. But I remember I was really disapointed with him and I was the more surprised when Tsukushi forgave him so easily.
Please don't misunderstand me for saying this but I think the part about him almost raping her pictures a somewhat nice thing too: Although he went as far as pushing her to the ground he softly kissed her on the lips. He didn't brutally force himself between her legs or ripped off her underwear. I don't even think it's accurate to say he almost "raped" her because what he did was mostly out of him losing control over his feelings for her, and not out of his sexdrive. That's why he eventually stopped when he saw her tears.
The volumes I was previously talking about deal with Doumyouji going to New York and having Tsukushi run after him. All the happenings after that, the last date and the time on the island portrayed a really strange Doumyouji in my opinion.

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 30th, '05, 16:28

Kathleen wrote: And this reason is probably Rui getting 2291votes for the most popular character whereas Doumyouji got only 1808 in the latest poll (according to the Hanadan FF Character book).
There are a lot of fans that are quite sad about Tsukushi and Rui not ending up together. The reviews on amazon.co.jp prove the majority of fans was drooling over each volume or chapter that enhanced Rui.
It could be that Rui fans are just more outspoken. I only started liking Rui after it became obvious
the triangle had ended
and we were able to focus more on his cute personality quirks as opposed to him being all "mysterious". In truth, I think Tsukasa is a hard character to love sometimes... (but I've never at any time, liked Rui more than him)

Again, I don't mind the pandering to Rui fans. As a matter of fact, I rather like it, because it makes things a lot more compelling if they have a better connection in the beginning than him just being an inconsistant jerk-off and her having a crush. I always thought he was an **** in the beginning of the manga, just not a violent one like Tsukasa, so I never understood why Tsukushi was always mooning over him when he said rude things to her.
Kathleen wrote: But I seriously wonder if they didn't just decide to do it this way due to the lack of time.
I'm sure that's a major consideration. They have to get these characters to a cerain point quickly because they don't have the luxery of revealing things slowly. But after seeing this story so many times, I don't really mind that either.
Kathleen wrote: He never hits someone just to get a kick out of it. This is a major difference in my opinion.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think that's quite true. Later on in the series, he only gets violent if he's jealous or angry, but at this point in time he was getting violent because people bumped into him, or got dust on his pants. He does refer to the red tag issue as a game to keep other students occupied, he just wasn't in the center of it. I think the whole lording it up over other people is another way of compacting his personality so he comes across as bad enough...
Kathleen wrote: ... which will be in the next episode already. Therefore they are only 2 episodes ahead concerning his family background .
Really, I thought the next ep was
Shizuka's decision, Rui going to France, and an earlier meeting of Tsubaki. I didn't really see a hint of the date there...
Please tell me if I'm wrong, because that's one of my favorite early scenes, and I'd be happy to see it earlier than expected.
Kathleen wrote: He doesn't in the manga either. He certainly did send some guys to do something to her but it is never told what in particular. Actually it's the exact same situation as in the drama.
That's not quite true. The boys in the manga said that someone had told them Tsukushi would do anything they wanted. The manga also leads you to believe Tsukasa ordered it, even if it's not completely clear, whereas in the drama he specifically denies it. There is a difference there.

RE: "saving her"
I meant more that he specifically stood up and took action when someone was bullying her, not that he made her feel less lonely.
Kathleen wrote: What I have my problems with is the script. It seems to me like the drama is some kind of consolation gift for all those who would've liked to pair up Tsukushi with Rui.
I just think it's too early to judge. It might be a consolation gift so far, as you say, but I don't think they are going to neglect the meat of the series. Otherwise there's no point to doing the drama in the first place.
RE: "the attempted rape"
While he was described as gentle, it was obvious that Tsukushi didn't want what he was doing (and I think it played a huge part in the trust issues between them later on) I do think it was an important scene for Tsukasa, ad that the emphasis is that he eventually stopped rather than the attempt.
However, his unwillingness to apologize for what he did was very off putting to me.
Kathleen wrote: The volumes I was previously talking about deal with Doumyouji going to New York and having Tsukushi run after him. All the happenings after that, the last date and the time on the island portrayed a really strange Doumyouji in my opinion.
I vaugely remember that. I also remember being irritated for the same reason you are with the drama. Its sole purpose seemed to be an attempt to make Rui look good and to ressurect the annoying triangle from where it had been nicely buried. (Am I remembering correctly?)

heppy

Post by heppy » Oct 30th, '05, 16:55

hmmmm... i didn't read the manga.. trying to find.. to no avail.. T.T but nvm..
keep missing epis of the anime.. though i really love it.. but it was showing on tv at that time n i couldn't get home in time to watch it last time.. when i 1st started watching the anime i think i like rui.. since he's nicer to tsukushi compared to tsukasa.. but as i watched on.. i love domyoji cause he's wayy cuter.. IMO.. not really in terms of looks.. but his stupid, sometimes irritating yet very cute actions.. haha.. dl-ing epi 2 now.. lookin forward to watching.. ^^
n from wat i'm reading.. the previous posts.. seems like there's alot of rui's scenes huh? awwwww.. i think i like domyoji X tsukushi relationship better.. lol.. ^^

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Oct 30th, '05, 17:40

musouka wrote: Really, I thought the next ep was
Shizuka's decision, Rui going to France, and an earlier meeting of Tsubaki. I didn't really see a hint of the date there...
Please tell me if I'm wrong, because that's one of my favorite early scenes, and I'd be happy to see it earlier than expected.
Well, watching the end of episode 2, I saw
Tsukasa "inviting" her for a date, telling the place and the hour. So I guess they´ll probably end the episode 3 on their date. I hope so!!!!!! That´s when I get to like Tsukasa on manga.
And I agree when you said about that Tsukasa´s "I have to control" feeling. I think exactly the same as you.
He needed to do something to "help" Tsukushi, but as a dumb he is, he ends up "helping" on a wrong way - telling her to lick his shoes. Of course he wasn´t satisfied with that situation, we could look it on his eyes. And I also think he would do something to stop it, but Rui did it before him. As always.
About Rui, honestly, I don´t know why people like him so much. Even Rui always helping Tsukushi, Tsukasa did a lot of nicer things than Rui did. It´s my opinion, though. Tsukasa always tried to prove his love for Tsukushi - when he realizes he love her, of course - even doing some dumb things. Guess we´re gonna start to see it on episode 3...
when he asks her for a date and spent 4 hours under snow waiting for her and even got a fever.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 30th, '05, 18:16

musouka wrote: It could be that Rui fans are just more outspoken.
If that's the case then there might also be a lot more Rui fans that wrote fan letters to Kamio-sensei which doesn't make any difference from Rui actually being the most popular.
My opinion of him was always a little devided because Tsukushi falls back to having a crush on Rui in the later episodes of the anime. Therefore I always thought there might still be a chance for them ending up together. It's not that I disliked his character in the later volumes, I just worried about them as a couple. I know hardly any Japanese story has a disney like happy ending, so let's just say I was overcautious. :P

Hmm... You know what? What you say about the Rui x Tsukushi relation makes pretty much sense. I even stopped watching the anime after the second episode because it was so unnerving to see Tsukushi all in love with such a strange guy. (It took me several months to remember the show and it was only because I was so bored one day when I came home early that I gave it a second chance. ^^) Therefore the idea of having her fall in love with someone who actually deserves it sounds kind of better actually.
Maybe I'm just being immature in this case because I'd like to have more people for Doumyouji. ^^;
But after seeing this story so many times, I don't really mind that either.
Neither me. That's, I don't mind them leaving out some parts in the beginning. But I really hoped they would at least have the 2 months deal and the saturn necklace in the drama. But now that they announced there are only 9 episodes I'm not quite sure if I even still want it since it would kind of lose its meaning if their relation develops that quickly.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think that's quite true. Later on in the series, he only gets violent if he's jealous or angry, but at this point in time he was getting violent because people bumped into him, or got dust on his pants. He does refer to the red tag issue as a game to keep other students occupied, he just wasn't in the center of it.
You might be right about the card thing. But it's also a game they apparently came up with years ago, hence when they were still children. I think the card is basically more like a warning to not interfere. There's still a slight difference to having the whole school gathered in order to do a great show by beating someone up.
According to his reasons for being violent, even though it might be incomprehenseble for most of us, getting dirt on his pants was enough to make him angry in the past. The major thing that changed about his personality is he learned to control himself (at least a bit) and doesn't get irritated as easily as before.
You're right, the next episode deals with Shizuka's birthday party (Aw, I forgot. So there's still a chance we'll get to see Tsukushi throwing up on Doumyouji's Armani suit! Yaay! :lol ) but we also get know from the preview that Doumyouji asks her out in the third episode already. Oh well, they'll probably have their date in the 4th episode then. Sorry about the confusion. But hey... look forward to Tsukushi throwing up. Hehe.
That's not quite true. The boys in the manga said that someone had told them Tsukushi would do anything they wanted. The manga also leads you to believe Tsukasa ordered it, even if it's not completely clear, whereas in the drama he specifically denies it.
Ah, you're right. I forgot about that. Well, it's again arguable whether or not it's true, but it certainly does seem like Doumyouji sent them to do something really awful to her. *sigh*
But doesn't he say something equal in the drama when he talks to the guys? I need to check on that again.
RE: "saving her"
I meant more that he specifically stood up and took action when someone was bullying her, not that he made her feel less lonely.
Yes, I know. But I think it's nice either way, and both made him quite likable, too.
I don't think they are going to neglect the meat of the series. Otherwise there's no point to doing the drama in the first place.
Hopefully. After I heard that Kamio-sensei made Doumyouji the main male character after he got more votes than Rui (in the first poll for the most popular character) who was actually meant to be the main chara, I'm kind of skeptic about how far they'd go to please the majority of fans.
According to the "almost rape", I totally agree. Just so that you don't misunderstand me: I don't think it was okay of him to do that, I was just trying to say that it could've been way worse. If it was me I'd be scared to death, not to mention I wouldn't just forgive him like that. But at the same time I cannot help but - in some strange way - feel a bit sorry for him. If you've watched Lady Oscar / Rose of Versailles you know what I mean.
I also remember being irritated for the same reason you are with the drama. Its sole purpose seemed to be an attempt to make Rui look good and to ressurect the annoying triangle from where it had been nicely buried. Am I remembering correctly?
You are. And 29 or 30 turned out to be one of the most popular volumes, also containing of the most popular scenes in the most recent poll.
Btw, it's really fun discussing with you. :-)
Last edited by Kathleen on Oct 30th, '05, 19:25, edited 2 times in total.

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Oct 30th, '05, 19:07

GREAT I THOUGHT I spoiled it for myself
by thinking that domyoji and tskuni ended up together b/c I read something that hinted that jerry and the girl ended up together in meteor garden, but then I just HAD to read one of the spoilers on this page and now I know that RUI and the girl end up together
GYAAHHH I HATE MYSELF. WHY THE HELL DID i HAVE TO READ THE SPOILERS WHYYYYYY

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Oct 30th, '05, 19:08

tikleabubble wrote:GREAT I THOUGHT I spoiled it for myself by thinking that domyoji and tskuni ended up together b/c I read something that hinted that jerry and the girl ended up together in meteor garden, but then I just HAD to read one of the spoilers on this page and now I know that RUI and the girl end up together GYAAHHH I HATE MYSELF. WHY THE HELL DID i HAVE TO READ THE SPOILERS WHYYYYYY
Another question...why do you have to repeat the spoiler without using spoiler tags :P :unsure: :glare:

Mod edit: If you quote tikleabubble without turning the text white, you're also spoilingi it for other people too you know.

EDIT: Thanks mods and sorry :-)
Last edited by WroW on Oct 30th, '05, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 30th, '05, 19:17

tikleabubble wrote:GREAT I THOUGHT I spoiled it for myself by thinking that domyoji and tskuni ended up together b/c I read something that hinted that jerry and the girl ended up together in meteor garden, but then I just HAD to read one of the spoilers on this page and now I know that RUI and the girl end up together GYAAHHH I HATE MYSELF. WHY THE HELL DID i HAVE TO READ THE SPOILERS WHYYYYYY
What are you talking about? Who said that?

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 30th, '05, 19:22

Kathleen wrote:My opinion of him was always a little devided because Tsukushi falls back to having a crush on Rui in the later episodes of the anime. Therefore I always thought there might still be a chance for them ending up together. It's not that I disliked his character in the later volumes, I just worried about them as a couple. I know hardly any Japanese story has a disney like happy ending, so let's just say I was overcautious. :P
I always figured that with all the build up Tsukasa and Tsukushi had, it would have been suicide if she hadn't made it clear that they were the only ones for one another. (I know I would have been disgusted, sort of like what happened recently with another series I was following where the author ditched the main couple with all the set up for the more popular girl. Blegh!) Though the ending of HYD was kind of open, so maybe the growing popularity of Rui was the reason.
Kathleen wrote:Therefore the idea of having her fall in love with someone who actually deserves it sounds kind of better actually.
Maybe I'm just being immature in this case because I'd like to have more people for Doumyouji. ^^;
I might be blinded because I love Tsukasa already, so it's hard for me to imagine people actually liking Rui better than him, regardless of how nice he is in the drama. Plus, even though they haven't had as many scenes between them, the Tsukushi and Tsukasa scenes are great! There's just so much tension.

I guess I also just like the novelty of actually thinking
hey, I guess Rui and Tsukushi don't make such a bad couple. Even though her and Tsukasa are better.
Makes things more tense.
Kathleen wrote:That's, I don't mind them leaving out some parts in the beginning. But I really hoped they would at least have the 2 months deal and the saturn necklace in the drama. But now that they announced there are only 9 episodes I'm not quite sure if I even still want it since it would kind of lose its meaning if their relation develops that quickly.
Yeah, they're going to be kind of limited. My biggest fear is
that they won't have enough time to really change people's opinions on Tsukasa. I think he's an interesting character right now, but I don't know if as many people are really rooting for him like I am. I also doubt they're going to put the attempted rape in because of the time limit. It would just turn too many people against him.

Hmm, I guess I really do feel similarly to you. ^^;;
Kathleen wrote: You might be right about the card thing. But it's also a game they apparently came up with years ago, hence when they were still children. I think the card is basically more like a warning to not interfere. There's still a slight difference to having the whole school gathered in order to do a great show by beating someone up.
Actually, thinking about it, you're right. It doesn't really gve you quite the same feeling, but if they're making alterations on Rui's character, I guess I just have to expect some from Tsukasa's side too.
Kathleen wrote: Oh well, they'll probably have their date in the 4th episode then. Sorry about the confusion. But hey... look forward to Tsukushi throwing up. Hehe.
I'm hoping that's why they showed her eating all that food. I guess I must have completely missed the asking her out thing, but I wasn't really paying attention to the dialogue in the next ep preview...
Kathleen wrote: Ah, you're right. I forgot about that. Well, it's again arguable whether or not it's true, but it certainly does seem like Doumyouji sent them to do something really awful to her. *sigh*
But doesn't he say something equal in the drama when he talks to the guys? I need to check on that again.
I thought he said "they decided that on their own!" when one of the other F2 was chastizing him over the attempted rape. Maybe I misheard?
Kathleen wrote:Hopefully. After I heard that Kamio-sensei made Doumyouji the main male character after he got more votes than Rui (in the first poll for the most popular character) who was actually meant to be the main chara, I'm kind of skeptic about how far they'd go to please the majority of fans.
Yeah, but that's while the series was still running. Now that it's finished, it's sort of been cemented, and I can't seem them really going too far to change things, because then it wouldn't be HYD.

Kathleen wrote: But at the same time I cannot help but - in some strange way - feel a bit sorry for him. If you've watched Lady Oscar / Rose of Versailles you know what I mean.
Oh, Andre is one of my favorite anime guys! Yes, there is a similar feeling there, and I did feel sorry for both of them. But Andre is also a nicer character, so it was a little easier for me to forgive him. If Oscar has demanded an apology, I don't think he would have started going off on how it was all her fault. :-)

But, yes, I do understand what you mean.
Kathleen wrote: You are. And 29 or 30 turned out to be one of the most popular volumes, also containing of the most popular scenes in the most recent poll.

I was so surprised to see how high it was ranked in the poll in the special. I was like, "Huh??? People actually LIKED that part of the manga?!" It just pissed me off, because I felt like Kamio was just stalling. Though I guess it was better than introducing another random character to get in the way when all of us with a brain know that Kazuya/Thomas/Kin-san/Amon/that other guy didn't have a chance in hell...

Well, at least four out of five of the scenes were Tsukasa scenes. And the top ranked was also my favorite scene in the manga. ^^;;
Kathleen wrote:Btw, it's really fun discussing with you. :-)
I feel the same way! :-) I just hope we aren't boring everyone else that comes into the thread.

-

makino_sanbr

Post by makino_sanbr » Oct 30th, '05, 20:57

tikleabubble wrote:Hey, does anyone remember the site that had the hana yori dango manga on bittorent? I remember I downloaded the complete set a few months ago, but I deleted it since I didn't think I was going to finish reading it. Thanks!
Hi!
You can download Hyd manga in
http://www.boxtorrents.com/details.php?id=11772
http://www.animez.info/torrents.html
http://www.mybittorrent.com/info/bittor ... 14442.html

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 30th, '05, 21:03

musouka wrote:I know I would have been disgusted, sort of like what happened recently with another series I was following where the author ditched the main couple with all the set up for the more popular girl. Blegh!
It's because there are such series that result that way that I can never be sure of a quite good ending. I can think only of anime and manga that had equally sad or annoying endings, such as Georgie or Lady Oscar. Aside from Kamio-sensei there are still some mangakas and authors who remain true to their original ideas, and they might not care whether or not their ending appeals to the readers since it's the ending anyway. Rumiko Takahashi left her fans really disappointed after she finished Ranma ½ but she's still as popular as ever. I guess her readers had better hopes for her next stories. It might've been fatal if she'd paired up Ranma with Shampoo for instance, in the middle of the series that is.
Btw, which series was it that you were talking about? Just so I know what I should never watch. ;)
Plus, even though they haven't had as many scenes between them, the Tsukushi and Tsukasa scenes are great! There's just so much tension.
Same goes for me. I only often wonder how newbies see it. I wonder if newbies even consider pairing up Tsukushi and Doumyouji so far.
I guess I also just like the novelty of actually thinking hey, I guess Rui and Tsukushi don't make such a bad couple. Even though her and Tsukasa are better Makes things more tense.
I think you're right there. As much as I complain about such twists, I actually like them. Makes me even more impatient about the next episode.
Hmm, I guess I really do feel similarly to you. ^^;;]
Haha, good to see I'm not alone with that.
I also agree with you concerning the attemted rape. If it put of even me (although I'm actually always fond of the rough sort of guy) I don't wanna know what people who are rather sensitive might think of him.
I'm hoping that's why they showed her eating all that food.
That's what I was thinking! "Good, she's preparing for the showdown." :mrgreen: Too sad she wore quite pretty clothes other than in the manga / anime.
I thought he said "they decided that on their own!" when one of the other F2 was chastizing him over the attempted rape. Maybe I misheard?
In which scene? I suppose it's the second episode? I cannot recall him saying that, but then again I'm better with written Japanese. I still need to improve my listening comprehension.
Yeah, but that's while the series was still running. Now that it's finished, it's sort of been cemented, and I can't seem them really going too far to change things, because then it wouldn't be HYD.
Makes sense. And it also kind of relieves me, too. :D
Oh, Andre is one of my favorite anime guys! Yes, there is a similar feeling there, and I did feel sorry for both of them.
Wow, you actually know the anime! Yes... I like André, too. Lady Oscar was the reason why I got interested in anime and eventually in Japanese language and cultur, too, so it will always have a special place in my heart. But that's kind of off topic.
But Andre is also a nicer character, so it was a little easier for me to forgive him. If Oscar has demanded an apology, I don't think he would have started going off on how it was all her fault.
Lol. That's for sure. But to Doumyouji's defence, one thing you might not know about André is that he had sex with a whore at the age of 18 (according to Riyoko Ikeda, the mangaka). Something Doumyouji would never do. :mrgreen:
I'd rather take the bullheaded but decent type over the friendly guy that pays for sex. :roll
I was so surprised to see how high it was ranked in the poll in the special. I was like, "Huh??? People actually LIKED that part of the manga?!" It just pissed me off, because I felt like Kamio was just stalling. Though I guess it was better than introducing another random character to get in the way when all of us with a brain know that Kazuya/Thomas/Kin-san/Amon/that other guy didn't have a chance in hell...
Same here. Only that I wasn't surprised of the latest poll's result after I had skimmed over the entries on the favourite bbs site before.
I'd rather had a new guy instead because it looked just too promising with Rui. And there were still 6 volumes to go. Enough time to develop a new relationship. That's what I thought.
Well, at least four out of five of the scenes were Tsukasa scenes.
You mean 3 out of 5: The necklace scene, the "I trust you" scene and the rainy night scene were about Doumyouji. The other two were Rui coming after Tsukushi to NY and all scenes of Tsukushi and Rui on the emergency stairway, if my memory doesn't completely fail me.
And the top ranked was also my favorite scene in the manga. ^^;;
Honestly? Now that surprises me. I always wondered how people can actually like this scene. If anything it was very touching but I couldn't enjoy it since it was so sad.
A top 5 ranked scene that I'm rather fond of is the necklace scene which I've read about 50 times probably (keep in mind I've had only 3 Japanese volumes for the longest time, so I re-read them over and over again). Yeah, I know it's kind of cheesy but after all the back and forth I thought the two of them deserved some kind of cheesiness. Lol...
But my 2 all time favourite scenes are: Doumyouji letting himself beat up for Tsukushi's sake. When I saw it in the anime I thought: this is the cutest thing I've ever seen a guy does for a girl. I was rather disapointed with the way it was portrayed in the manga though. Maybe that's why the scene isn't all that popular among the manga fans...
My other favourite scene and also the one which I consider as the most important in the case of Doumyouji's character development is when he comes back to help Tsukushi after Sakura tricked him. To say he believes her no matter what (even after seeing such actually cast iron proofs as the pictures) really striked me. :wub: Too bad she proved him wrong when she kissed Rui on Doumyouji's island. *sigh*
My favourite scenes as for the humor are 1. when Doumyouji orders a cola but gets a coffee (in the earlier volumes, when he first goes to NY after he believes Tsukushi to be with Rui) and 2. Tsukushi picturing her date with Doumyouji like those Yuuki has with her boyfriend - going to the library, skating, second hand shopping,... Doumyouji's expressions are hilarious, it still makes me laugh to watch at them.
I just hope we aren't boring everyone else that comes into the thread.
Well... Most parts of our posts are hidden in spoiler boxes which doesn't make it too interesting for those who are new to the series. ^^;

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 30th, '05, 23:38

Aw, I liked the ending to Rose of Versailles! Never read Lady Georgie, but the Candy Candy ending kind of creeped me out, if that counts.
Kathleen wrote:Btw, which series was it that you were talking about? Just so I know what I should never watch. ;)
It's a really bad, but addictive, series called Ichigo 100%. Completely unrealistic and lame, but I kept reading it for the main couple, who I felt was rather sweet. Blegh.
Kathleen wrote:Same goes for me. I only often wonder how newbies see it. I wonder if newbies even consider pairing up Tsukushi and Doumyouji so far.
Well, with Meteor Garden so popular, I'd imagine most have seen the story in one form or another. I'm curious to see what my friend will think of this drama, as she's never seen or read anything about it.
Kathleen wrote:That's what I was thinking! "Good, she's preparing for the showdown." :mrgreen: Too sad she wore quite pretty clothes other than in the manga / anime.
The only problem is that it's kind of gross, so I'm wondering if they'll go that far for live action...
Kathleen wrote:In which scene? I suppose it's the second episode? I cannot recall him saying that, but then again I'm better with written Japanese. I still need to improve my listening comprehension.
It was while they were playing pool, in the first episode. I'm pretty positive SARS translated that line inccorrectly, which is a shame if the drama is trying to make him look better...
Kathleen wrote:I'd rather take the bullheaded but decent type over the friendly guy that pays for sex. :roll
Well, it was only once, right?
In Andre's defense, it's not like Tsukushi kept Tsukasa waiting for around 20-30 years. I think that would test the patience (and libido) of a saint. I can forgive Andre a little indiscretion, espcially since he wasn't seeing anyone at the time... :D
Kathleen wrote:Honestly? Now that surprises me. I always wondered how people can actually like this scene. If anything it was very touching but I couldn't enjoy it since it was so sad.
I find that sad scenes tend to stick in my mind better than the happy ones. The image of Tsukasa standing in the rain is one of the first I think of when HYD comes to mind.

I'm not all about the doom and gloom, though. Another one I really liked was the one with his birthday cookies. The way he acted over them was just so cute... The one where he let himself get beaten up was great too. He'd really go through hell and back for her. The necklace scene was sweet. It was good to have a scene where they weren't just sniping and squabbling, even though I enjoy that aspect of their relationship.

My only problem with the scene where he saved Tsukushi from being dragged around by the car was that he left and then came back. I know he was zoned out over seeing the picture of her and Thomas, but I would have rather him said he trusted her immediately. I always liked the aftermath with him hanging up the guys on the roof, though. I guess I'm kind of evil like that...

Oh, and I just checked. The top five scenes in the special were:

5. Necklace.
4. Tsukasa rescuing her from being pulled by the car.
3. Tsukasa chasing after the bus. (I like this one too, even though it's kinda cliche)
2. Rui in New York. (Boooo! :P )
1. Breaking up in the rain.

So, yep. Four out of five go to Tsukasa. :heart:
Kathleen wrote:Well... Most parts of our posts are hidden in spoiler boxes which doesn't make it too interesting for those who are new to the series. ^^;

Hmm, well...at least we're not spoiling them! :D

-

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Oct 30th, '05, 23:55

musouka wrote:
Oh, and I just checked. The top five scenes in the special were:

5. Necklace.
4. Tsukasa rescuing her from being pulled by the car.
3. Tsukasa chasing after the bus. (I like this one too, even though it's kinda cliche)
2. Rui in New York. (Boooo! :P )
1. Breaking up in the rain.

Where did you find this top five scenes? Is there some special out there? I´d like to see it too... I have to agree that my fave scenes are on this top five.
But I agree with you: that scene when Tsukasa gets those cookies as a present... oh... he´s just so cute!!!!!!! There are so many unforgettable scenes... Surprises me that scene when Tsukasa says his dreams came true and then says to Tsukushi he loves her (vol. 36), is not on top five. I´d probably put it on my list.
I guess there is not fabulous thing about Rui in NY. Don´t know why people like Rui so much. Tsukasa is definitely the most romantic and "sweet" character on this story.

moonlit

Post by moonlit » Oct 31st, '05, 00:26

LightningEmperor wrote:Now I finally know the reason why Meteor Garden is so popular. :D
What is that reason??

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 31st, '05, 00:36

shiruchan wrote:Where did you find this top five scenes? Is there some special out there? I´d like to see it too... I have to agree that my fave scenes are on this top five.
It's avalible right here. It's basically sort of like a "behind the scenes" deal.

Eria

Post by Eria » Oct 31st, '05, 00:41

i just finished watching Matsujun's Kindaichi 3 ep 4 and 5 and i thought, wow, that house looks familiar. it is familiar cuz it's the same house tsukasa lives now. :lol

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 31st, '05, 01:44

musouka wrote:Aw, I liked the ending to Rose of Versailles! Never read Lady Georgie, but the Candy Candy ending kind of creeped me out, if that counts.
I like the ending of RoV, too but I was only 12 years old when I first watched the anime and I was shocked to see "cartoon" characters die. *sigh* As in regards of story telling the ending is great but from a personal view it's nothing but terribly sad. :(
I never watched or read Candy, Candy (although it was only yesterday when I read a summary on animenewsnetwork and figured I wouldn't like the story because of that part when she gives up on her love just to please some other girl - what about her boyfriend's feelings??). According to Georgie,
she does practically the same Candy does. I didn't really mind all that much since I was never too fond of the pairing but it might have been very sad for people who actually did like her and Lowel as a couple.
The only problem is that it's kind of gross, so I'm wondering if they'll go that far for live action...
:lol They managed to adapt this scene in Meteor Garden without particularly showing what she was throwing up. I just think it's some kind of funny revenge on him after he wasn't even willing to apologize to her. I also find it somewhat cute he stays all calm. If I'd be in his place I would certainly freak out.
It was while they were playing pool, in the first episode. I'm pretty positive SARS translated that line inccorrectly, which is a shame if the drama is trying to make him look better...
Are you referring to Jun saying: "彼奴ら勝手にやったんだよ" (Aitsura katte ni yatta n da yo)?
What does the SARS version translate this sentence as? I have only the Raw-Version and the soft subs which translate the line as "It is all their scheming work". You're right, what they say is more like "They decided to do this on their own", which really does sound as if he didn't make them go as far as they did. I didn't really pay attention to that part until now. Thanks for telling me.
Well, it was only once, right?
In Andre's defense, it's not like Tsukushi kept Tsukasa waiting for around 20-30 years. I think that would test the patience (and libido) of a saint. I can forgive Andre a little indiscretion, espcially since he wasn't seeing anyone at the time...
It wasn't even 20 or 30 years when he did that, but only 4 years after the story began. :P 4 years... Sounds familiar, doesn't it? I sure hope Doumyouji won't do anything while he's in NY. :glare:
However, I think it's really cute of Doumyouji to wait for the woman he truely loves. I'm not saying André was cheating on Oscar or anything. I was just kind of disappointed when I read that about him because I think if he loves someone he shouldn't be interested in other women in any kind.
I'm really old-fashioned when it comes to such things though. ^^;
I find that sad scenes tend to stick in my mind better than the happy ones. The image of Tsukasa standing in the rain is one of the first I think of when HYD comes to mind.
Wah... I'm nothing like that. I can hardly look at such sad scenes (although I do feel like reading some sad scenes again sometimes). However, just because we were talking about it I decided to watch the top 5 ranking again and accidently saw the excerpt about Tsukushi leaving Doumyouji that rainy night. I know it's only a fictional story but it always makes me so sad to see this scene. It even makes my tummy hurt. :unsure:
I'm not all about the doom and gloom, though. Another one I really liked was the one with his birthday cookies. The way he acted over them was just so cute... The one where he let himself get beaten up was great too. He'd really go through hell and back for her. The necklace scene was sweet. It was good to have a scene where they weren't just sniping and squabbling, even though I enjoy that aspect of their relationship.
You're right. I like that whole part where they are on his cruiser anyway. Doumyouji is the probably the character with the most unexpected character traits. To be all happy about some fishy cookies (no pun intented) when he's usually raving about his money and luxury the whole time... Aww.
As for the necklace scene, I usually avoid all kinds of tear-jerkers, therefore it's pretty unlikely for me to be fond of a scene like this, but as I said, after all the back and forth I was glad to see them sharing a happy moment for a change.
My only problem with the scene where he saved Tsukushi from being dragged around by the car was that he left and then came back. I know he was zoned out over seeing the picture of her and Thomas, but I would have rather him said he trusted her immediately.

Well, I think this is again something that makes things more tense. It would've been boring if he had believed her right away. And other than in the manga, he is under shock in the anime. (Keep in mind, whenever I speak of my favourite scene and it's before volume 18, you can be sure it's anime only.) I think I kind of understand the way he acts. He doesn't leave her back because he doesn't care what happens to her but because his mind is all blank after he has seen the pictures and he cannot clearly think anymore. (Later on when he slowly finds back to himself at Sakurako's place he doesn't even remember who brought him there.) In other words it wasn't out of indifference that he left. He probably isn't even aware of the situation when he leaves.
I always liked the aftermath with him hanging up the guys on the roof, though. I guess I'm kind of evil like that...
I found that kind of cool, too. Not that I'd ever do such a thing. But it's funny. There was a similar scene in the Canada chapters. When Doumyouji brought Tsukushi back after the Asai gang had tricked her, Sakurako suggests to hang the threesome in the cold over night. Everyone points out this is somewhat cruel while Doumyouji enthusiastically says: "いいじゃんか、それ" (That's a good idea.) His expression is hilarious. Lol
Oh, you're right! I mixed that one scene up with the 8th rank from the website. Shame on me. Moreover I forgot one of my other favourite scenes.
I read that part when he stopped the bus at least as often as the saturn part.
Btw, I don't like it because it's some happily ever after moment but there are a lot of emotions, and if I put myself in one of both's place it's the more overwhelming - for Doumyouji who had started to seriously believe he had lost her forever but also for Tsukushi who had tried to restrain all her love the whole time. It's a scene I'll probably never get fed up with.
P.S. Where did you get that heart icon from??
Last edited by Kathleen on Oct 31st, '05, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

makino_sanbr

Post by makino_sanbr » Oct 31st, '05, 02:34

Hi!!
I'm really like this topic now.. ^^
I have allot thinks that i would like to say too

Some spoiler ahead...
**spoiler**
**spoiler**
**spoiler**

About Tsukasa X Rui
**spoiler**
**spoiler**

When i started read HYD i read until vol01 cap04 that was in Portuguese... and for me i would stop there... for me was other history about a Cinderella... and a good looking and rich guy... I thought that was Rui the main character....
But I don't know why i download but mistake the vol 23...
When doumyoji runs after the bus when Tsukushi is with Amon.
When i saw that... Oh my god... I fall in love for Tsukasa...
I really really like Tsukasa...
and i have the same problem that Kateleen with rui's fans... hihihih
For me ONLY tsukasa can be with Tsukushi...
Rui is the her best friend.. who knows her..
I was really mad when i used to talk about meteor Garden... because mostly people that only saw MG and don't read the manga is rui's fan...
Just because Zaizai is cute ( and i too think that :wub: I like Zaizai... more in MARS.. because there he isn't Rui.. XD)
and i used to think... "No more Rui fans please... Really anyone get that if Tsukushi be with Rui will not be Hanadan????"

I remember when i was translated the manga, that Yoko kamio sensei write that the main character was Rui...
But suddenly.. Tsukasa grown and grown.. not only on the polls...
For me HYD never will be HYD if Tsukasa not be there.
when i read the Yoko kamio's letter and she said that She read the scrip to see if Tsukasa lines was so genuine.. innocent.. I was so happy...
And when Matsumoto Jun just by look to you can pass the lonely anger from a spoiled kid that miss some to care about... (on the first ep)
and the doubt about care or not it this girl that don't give a dawn about WHO he is and what he say... e that don't leave his mind ( on the second ep)
make me very happy...
Oguri Shun makes me happy too... His Rui is the Rui from the middle from the manga... When rui talk and show a Little more about what he thinks...
I hope that he can be able to pass the Love and gratitude that Rui has to tsukushi....
He seem so in love about shizuka... on the airport.. that until me (that don't really like Rui) make me say : "ahhh... poor Rui.. he is so kawaiiiii!!!!!!"
I loved shizuka.. She was so funny!!!!! I Her face when the girls fall down on the pool was really fun!

And the second ep, i think that was great at show Tsukasa already going to Tsukushi and Rui comes... because that is exactly the feeling on the beginning
I'm dying to see the next episodes...
if we can do a list of 5 events that I REALLY hope they don't cut is
1-Saturn necklace
2-Doumyoji saying that he will go to hell after her.. and then he being beat for her... (i really like how he could die for her )
3-The raining Day.. ( slices my heart in thousand pierces every time i read)
4-He running after the bus yelling her name....
5-When finally she understand she miss allot doumyoji... that she don't wanna to him forget her...

sonikmonkee

Soundtrack

Post by sonikmonkee » Oct 31st, '05, 04:10

Hi hi, I've loved watching the first two episodes and can't help but be interested in the opening and ending theme songs? Does anybody know which artists perform them? I'm sorry if this question has already been asked!! Thankyou! :lol

Hana_Alice

Re: Soundtrack

Post by Hana_Alice » Oct 31st, '05, 04:28

sonikmonkee wrote:Hi hi, I've loved watching the first two episodes and can't help but be interested in the opening and ending theme songs? Does anybody know which artists perform them? I'm sorry if this question has already been asked!! Thankyou! :lol
Ai Otsuka - PLANETARIUM
Arashi - WISH

not that sure tho ^ ^ "

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Oct 31st, '05, 04:31

Dear Kathleen, I dunno wat the summary of Candy Candy on animenewsnetwork says... but i suggest u to read the manga to understand the real story rather than makin sm assumption based on a summary.... cuz i was really hurt and pissed when u said "she gives up on her love just to please some other girl - what about her boyfriend's feelings??"
even tho u didnt intentionally mean it, but it was wrong to judge smth be4 u actually know it....
Candy has always been an idol to me even tho shes not a real person... the story was so sad and touching that it made me cry a lot... i hope u might want to try the manga one day and then ull know why candy has to give up on her love... then im sure u will understand what im feeling now... its the only choice that Candy has at that time and if she didnt do it, she wouldnt be CAndy but just another shallow selfish lover...
to me and all ppl who have read CC that i know of, its one of the best mangas ever... and candy is the best heroine ever ... id say shes greater than Makino tsukushi even tho I luv tsukushi a lot too (im a big fan of HYD).. but indeed Candy has to suffer a whole lot more and in the end she can't be with the person she loves (its not her fault... i guess its all fate) however, wats great bout her is how she always tries to cheer everyone up and believes in tomorrow .. but inside she is sufferin ...yes that manga is so heart warming and sad... and its not cheesy as other shoujo mangas...
what u said about Candy was like saying "Tsukasa is a loser" to HYD fans...
anyway i dun wanna go off topic... i was just a lil mad over what was said bout candy :(

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Oct 31st, '05, 04:36

musuoka, thanks for your help! I´ll probably download it. =D
makino_sanbr wrote: if we can do a list of 5 events that I REALLY hope they don't cut is
1-Saturn necklace
2-Doumyoji saying that he will go to hell after her.. and then he being beat for her... (i really like how he could die for her )
5-When finally she understand she miss allot doumyoji... that she don't wanna to him forget her...
I would just change the second and the fifth event for
3. when tsukasa tells her he believes her - when sakurako tricked tsukushi
5. when tsukasa tells her he loves her on that island
I also agree with you when you talk about Rui. ]I don´t understand too why people like him so much. Of course, watching these two episodes and reading the beginning of manga, it´s easy to like Rui, but... then, it´s almost IMPOSSIBLE not to fall in love with Tsukasa. Everything he does for Tsukushi is amazing! You´re totally right: if there´s no Tsukasa, it´s not HYD. HYD is good because Tsukasa is in.[/b]
Last edited by shiruchan on Oct 31st, '05, 04:45, edited 2 times in total.

heppy

Post by heppy » Oct 31st, '05, 04:39

shiruchan wrote:
makino_sanbr wrote: if we can do a list of 5 events that I REALLY hope they don't cut is
1-Saturn necklace
I would just change the third and the fifth event for
3. when tsukasa tells her he believes her - when sakurako tricked tsukushi
5. when tsukasa tells her he loves her on that island
I also agree with you when you talk about Rui. ]I don´t understand too why people like him so much. Of course, watching these two episodes and reading the beginning of manga, it´s easy to like Rui, but... then, it´s almost IMPOSSIBLE not to fall in love with Tsukasa. Everything he does for Tsukushi is amazing! You´re totally right: if there´s no Tsukasa, it´s not HYD. HYD is good because Tsukasa is in.
yeahhh.. tsujasa's so sweet n innocent.. silly, sometimes v bad.. yet v cute.. haha he's unique.. ^^

Aeris_la_Cetra

Post by Aeris_la_Cetra » Oct 31st, '05, 07:41

I also agree with you makino_br ^^
Rui is a important character but... finaly, he is her best friend.
Makino must be in love with Tsukasa... not Rui...if it's not hana yori dango

apples

Post by apples » Oct 31st, '05, 08:23

If I haven't read the manga, or watched the anime, at this point (ep2), I think I would definitely root for Rui. But since I've done both even way before MG, no doubt Tsukasa+Tsukushi pairing is a lot better. Like what everyone has said previously, Rui is better as a bestfriend than a boyfriend.
If Tsukushi did end up with him, I don't think HYD would have been as special as it is now. I guess it would be boring if the author stuck with her original plan.

I believe most girls just love stories where the leading lady transforms the bad boy into a good boy. Although Tsukasa is a jerk in the beginning, I hope they soon show his side which we all love.
I have to say that I'm loving Jun so much more now! I didn't care much for him after watching his previous dramas.. but I can see so much of Tsukasa in him! As for Shun... I don't really see the rui that I've always imagined. maybe cos it's going too fast? Nevertheless, I still love his character.

I thought I'd be disappointed with all the changes they had to make in order for the story to fit in so little episodes. But thank goodness, that's not the case.. Actually, I'm impressed with their work so far. It seems like I'm no longer distracted from knowing what happened in the anime and manga. I just watch it like I don't know the story. I think it's good that the drama has some differences from the anime.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 31st, '05, 10:23

sunmoon wrote:Dear Kathleen, I dunno wat the summary of Candy Candy on animenewsnetwork says... but i suggest u to read the manga to understand the real story rather than makin sm assumption based on a summary.... cuz i was really hurt and pissed when u said "she gives up on her love just to please some other girl - what about her boyfriend's feelings??"
even tho u didnt intentionally mean it, but it was wrong to judge smth be4 u actually know it....
Look, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm sorry if you got something wrong. It looks like you haven't read our previous posts either so you probably misunderstood me when I questioned her actions. Musouka and I were talking about sad endings and that we don't like stories that result without the main characters ending up together. That's when I remembered the summary of CC on animenewsnetwork. I'm not saying it's a bad story or anything, but I simply don't like to watch something that I know of from the beginning it will make me sad. Please accept that. If there's anyone that says: "I wouldn't want to watch hanadan because I don't like violent guys like Doumyouji" I'd just say: Suit yourself and bye. Of course it's nice to have many people rooting for the same characters or stories that you like but you cannot expect everyone to have the same taste and interests.
Aside from that, of course I don't know the details about Candy leaving her boyfriend but what I certainly do know is that he loves her, which is similar to the situation when Tsukushi leaves Doumyouji that rainy night even though she is aware of his feelings for her. Those anime and manga heroines often do such things as leaving the love of their lives in order to help a friend or to make someone else happy, but I simply cannot approve of them considering everyone else's feelings whereas they never even seem to think of their boyfriend's feelings which is something that goes beyond self-sacrifice.
Excuse me but if my boyfriend was to leave me just because there's another guy that may be fatally ill or desperately in love with me, I would be hurt more than anything. Doesn't love mean to want the person of your desire to be the happiest? I can only refer to Tsukushi's decision about leaving Doumyouji because of Yuuki and Kazuya when I say that this is a really mean thing to do to someone who trusts and loves you. It was like she decided for someone else's luck over Doumyouji's. As much as I like Hanadan, I think of such actions as unrealistic and overly dramatic as there are often a bunch of other options that don't leave anyone hurt.
Again I'm mostly referring to Hanadan. If I'm totally wrong with CC, feel free to write down spoilers.

Edit: Of course I'm not trying to downplay being fatally ill, I'm just saying that the one thing has nothing to do with the other. The whole meaning of being together (in my opinion) is to support your partner as much as you can, as you should be able trust each other too. I hope you understand my point and that you don't feel offended or hurt anymore.
Last edited by Kathleen on Oct 31st, '05, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

unkei

Post by unkei » Oct 31st, '05, 14:13

awww...so much negative speculation that it makes all the anticipation i have for episode 3 a lot more depressing. let's let the drama run it's course before we evaluate it to this extent? it's only been episode 2!! perhaps rui isn't EXACTLY the way he was presented in the manga, but neither is shizuka (she's much more 'girlier' and giggly in this version), and neither is domyouji's mother, and neither are soujiro and akira (they seem more like tsukasa's henchmen, rather than the other 2 members of f4), and neither is sakurako (she's 3 characters combined into 1!)...the list goes on~~ but perhaps the drama will present the characters to us in a way which will make the drama work.

keep in mind that before hanayoridango, there's been an anime, a movie AND a twdrama remake. following every single detail in the manga exactly wouldn't give hanayoridango the freshness and excitement that a lot of hyd fans are looking for. they don't want a replay of what they already know~~ they want to see something that, although still faithful to the original storyline, will keep them at the edge of their seats and pining for more. perhaps in the end the drama won't meet your speculative criticisms, but at least give it the chance it deserves to show its worth before you choose to stomp it to bits or praise it to no end~~

isn't it better to stay positive about what the drama could give us, instead of dousing ourselves with the subconscious expectation that it will disappoint?

(i hope no one is offended, but that was just my poor attempt at trying to turn the tables around in this thread to a cheerful anticipation of the next episode =D)

heppy

Post by heppy » Oct 31st, '05, 16:58

just saw epi 2.. it's great.. haha.. n i think there's parts which it's quite funny.. haha.. but also some parts quite.. hmmm how say? serious? hmmm

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 31st, '05, 20:06

Hey Makino_sanbr! I already answered to one of your earlier posts. If you haven't read it yet, you might still wanna check it. :-)
The story of how you came to like Hanadan is really nice. I understand why that one scene striked you so much. Unfortunately the only spoiler page I ever accidently read was from volume 30, I think, when Tsukushi has a dream of Doumyouji smiling at her and telling her it was all just a joke and that he wants to go home with her. I didn't understand that part in the least. I remember I wondered: "Did she move back to the Doumyouji mansion?" I had no idea they were in NY that time. But ever since I read that I was really overcautious of each new chapter because I KNEW there was something bad to happen.
But you know what? My story of how I got into Hanadan isn't all that different from yours, only that it was the anime that I knew first. I watched 2 episodes that were recommended to me, but since I found Tsukushi so annoying drooling all over Rui although I didn't like that guy, really, I decided to drop the show. It was only several months later that I re-watched the 2nd episode out of boredom. But this time I thought it was kind of cool. And when I wondered what kick she was referring to when she talked to Doumyouji at his mansion (I could only remember Makiko having accidently kicked him in the face), I wanted to watch the first episode again. And that kick of Tsukushi really left me like: "WOW!!" Ever since that day I was addicted. I adored the anime for quite a while and didn't even read the manga. Well I did start to read it after I finished the anime but since the artworks were so different from the anime's I put the manga aside for about one month. When I decided to give it a second chance I eventually found out it's even 10 times as good as the anime!
This is my Hanadan story! :) And btw, I was rooting for Doumyouji from the beginning. I love the "tough on the outside - vulnerable on the inside" type.
To come back to responding to your post: I'm not too fond of MG, but I love the Japanese adaption. Although there are a bunch of things that I don't like about the Japanese version either. I was never a fan of Rui's but I think he's really cool in the drama. And I think he was especially cute when Shizuka came back and he hugged her. The way he called her name: "Shizukaaa..." Aw, that was so lovely.
when i read the Yoko kamio's letter and she said that She read the scrip to see if Tsukasa lines was so genuine.. innocent.. I was so happy...
As I already pointed out in the other post, I was dead tired when I translated the letter (and I was too lazy to check up on it for mistakes until now), so there might not everything be correct. I remember I was wondering whether she refers to his stupidity about mixing up proverbs when she is talking about his innocense.
Oguri Shun makes me happy too... His Rui is the Rui from the middle from the manga...
Hey, you're right. Everyone else - including me - only said he's not like Rui. But the truth is he's not the Rui from the beginning of the series. He changes out a lot throughout the story actually.
I loved shizuka.. She was so funny!!!!! I Her face when the girls fall down on the pool was really fun!
Me too! I first doubted whether she's a good cast for Shizuka who is supposed to be the perfect woman. But I think she's doing great. Maybe she's even better than in the anime and manga because I never felt anything of her warmth that Tsukushi had raved about. The drama Shizuka definitely is a warm and friendly person though. And I would rather believe her to give up everything to follow her dream. The manga / anime Shizuka always seemed to spoiled to me to do such a thing which is why I never really liked Shizuka.
1-Saturn necklace
1. Unlikely to happen if you ask me. That's if there aren't more seasons to come.
2. I HOPE SO!!! I really, really, really hope so. It's one of my favourites after all.
3. This I do not want to see though. :-( Maybe it was a long series such as Meteor Garden. But with its 9 episodes I wouldn't like them to be separated for half of the time.
4. This requires #3. I really like the scene when he stops the bus (read more about it in my last post at Musouka) but I can't see this scene in a short series like that. And even if they were to squeeze that scene in, it wouldn't be half as touching as in the manga as 9 episodes aren't enough time to make their emotions grow.
5. Excuse me, I don't quite understand. Which scene are you referring to?
Last edited by Kathleen on Oct 31st, '05, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

TragicKingdom

Post by TragicKingdom » Oct 31st, '05, 20:25

makino_sanbr wrote:
1-Saturn necklace
1) Where will it fit in the drama >_< Only 7 eps left T_T
2) This will most likely be in the drama. *wishful thinking :D*
3) I love this scene >_< But but but... I can't see how they'll adapt it to the drama though.
4) touching, but I don't think it will fit, right?
5) I second Kathleen, that I don't quite understand what you mean by this ^^;;

Really... most of these scenes are spread over the whole manga. I really have no idea how much this drama will cover. My guess is that some of these parts will be integrated in one way or another though different to the original manga.

lasusal

Post by lasusal » Oct 31st, '05, 21:13

just finishing episode 2, even though i saw the taiwan version and the anime it still shocks me seeing the ending of episode 2 :O

makino_sanbr

Post by makino_sanbr » Oct 31st, '05, 21:17

[i]Kathleen wrote:Hey Makino_sanbr! I already answered to one of your earlier posts. If you haven't read it yet, you might still wanna check it. :-) [/i]

Hi! Yes i did read you answered ^__^ And I'm really happy to talk with people that read the manga ..
And i really like to read what people that don't have any idea think too.. just to see how they will react..
however.. i like to talk about Hanadan...
and ever if i already saw everything about this history.. i not feeling boring.. I really curious to know how they will be doing to tell the history....

and i know that the 5 events that i list probably won't be there... but i really like this moments T__T
5. Excuse me, I don't quite understand. Which scene are you talking about? [/spoiler]

Well I was think about after the rain day... But has alto other moments when he came from NY and is almost a good bye... but he was kidnapped
:margarine:
Last edited by makino_sanbr on Oct 31st, '05, 21:29, edited 2 times in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 31st, '05, 21:26

TragicKingdom wrote:2) This will most likely be in the drama. *wishful thinking
That would be really, really great. I love this scene. Although I'm not quite sure if it will be the same as in the anime.
Just think of them taking over the scene in the drama: Tsukushi looks as the sawn-off Doumyouji, thinking: "I bet he has never been beaten up in his entire life. Even if there are 5 of them, he could beat them all easily if he wanted to." *doesn't laugh, doesn't laugh, doesn't laugh*
Ohh, I'm evil. Hey, I adore Jun and I think he's really doing a fantastic job, but you cannot make up for everything with good acting.

Btw. No Doubt, first album? :mrgreen:
lasusal wrote:just finishing episode 2, even though i saw the taiwan version and the anime it still shocks me seeing the ending of episode 2 :O
Lol. What of the ending shocks you?
The kiss? I liked it better the way Tsukushi dumped into him or fell on him. Why has always Doumyouji have to be the culprit? ^^;

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Oct 31st, '05, 21:45

OMG I was so shocked at the end of the ep :shocked: I definitely didn't expect something like this could happen but this was a great ep ne~
in ep 3 Tsukasa's sister is going to be back right? this is going to be interesting :D

now I know why people voted stay away...omg they knew this is the only way to save themselves from complete obsession. I really mean it this dorama is dangerous hehe I'm turning into MatsuJun's fangirl!! *kowai* LOL but I have a good reason ne..he's great in this role and his eyes are amazing :wub: :wub: hmm just wondering how anyone could hate Tsukasa?? maybe the character was different in manga (?) but here I rather feel sorry for him...I don't think I could not like him regardless of the way he treats Tsukushi at least up to now...
I like Shun-chan playing Rui but I'm not sure yet if I like Rui (as a character) well ,let's wait and see what's going on next..
eh I can't wait till Friday :cry:
Last edited by gunjourui on Nov 2nd, '05, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.

TragicKingdom

Post by TragicKingdom » Oct 31st, '05, 21:56

Kathleen wrote:
That would be really, really great. I love this scene. Although I'm not quite sure if it will be the same as in the anime.
Just think of them taking over the scene in the drama: Tsukushi looks as the sawn-off Doumyouji, thinking: "I bet he has never been beaten up in his entire life. Even if there are 5 of them, he could beat them all easily if he wanted to." *doesn't laugh, doesn't laugh, doesn't laugh*
Ohh, I'm evil. Hey, I adore Jun and I think he's really doing a fantastic job, but you cannot make up for everything with good acting.

Btw. No Doubt, first album? :mrgreen:
rofl >_< just the thought of tsukushi thinking that is hilarious. *can't stop laughing* I guess in that sense, Jerry Yan :flamed: (Tai Tsukasa) does have a better built. But but but, I'm biased about Jun. ^^;;~ Jun's eyes are really impressive in HYD. So I'm all for Jun. :mrgreen: I really want more interaction between tsukushi and tsukasa!!

*nods* hehe, it's indeed No Doubt's first album. Just got to love them.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Oct 31st, '05, 22:05

now I know why people voted stay away...omg they knew this is the only way to save themselves from complete obsession.

Hahaha, this was a good one. And it pretty much cheers me up, too since I was kind of bummed to see someone dared to vote for the last option. Lol.
JK, I guess it's normal to have people who don't have the same taste. I think the show is fairly popular already with its only 2 episodes so far.
I really mean it this dorama is dangerous hehe I'm turning into MatsuJun's fangirl!! *kowaii*

Happy to hear that! Always pleased to have an increasing number of fans. Hanadan will soon rule the world. *evil halloween laugh*
Btw, "kowai" = "scary". Assume you mean "Kawaii".

But you're right, his eyes really are amazing. I love the way he looks at Tsukushi after he told her to lick his shoes. Although this is a quite bad scene actually, it has something endearing in it as well.
hmm just wondering how anyone could hate Tsukasa?? maybe the character was different in manga
That's what I was always wondering. And yes, the character was different in the manga. But if anything it was only better. He does less evil things in the manga. Both versions are adorable though. :wub: [/i]

sesshu.kotoyumu

Post by sesshu.kotoyumu » Oct 31st, '05, 22:18

hmmm...I forgot about that eh.

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Oct 31st, '05, 22:39

Kathleen wrote:
Kathleen, you´re bad! Hahahahahahaha!!!
Yes, I think it so. I love Jun too but his amazing acting can´t cover his small built. He needed a bunch of muscles to make us thinks he is actually a strong guy.
And I also love those eyes... OMG... My fave scene in this episode 2 is
when he looks at Tsukushi smiling at Rui with those jealous/sad/desperate eyes like he was thinking something like that: "why do you smile at him and not at me?? why not meee???"
Ohhhh~~~~ Tsukasa, why are you not real? :heart:

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Oct 31st, '05, 22:52

Kathleen wrote:
now I know why people voted stay away...omg they knew this is the only way to save themselves from complete obsession.

Hahaha, this was a good one. And it pretty much cheers me up, too since I was kind of bummed to see someone dared to vote for the last option. Lol.

you know, the results of the poll were bothering me for the last few days so I guess this is the reason :P there are only 2 eps out but as for now this is the best dorama I've ever seen :wub: :wub: :wub:
Kathleen wrote: Btw, "kowai" = "scary". Assume you mean "Kawaii".
no I meant kowai hehe thinking of myself turning into MatsuJun's fangirl is kinda scary but eh I guess it's too late now anyway :pale:
Kathleen wrote:But you're right, his eyes really are amazing. I love the way he looks at Tsukushi after he told her to lick his shoes. Although this is a quite bad scene actually, it has something endearing in it as well.
this is amazing how well he can act!!! just compare this cold look to his puppy eyes in kimi wa petto!! omg I definitely prefer him as Tsukasa :wub:
shiruchan wrote:And I also love those eyes... OMG... My fave scene in this episode 2 is
when he looks at Tsukushi smiling at Rui with those jealous/sad/desperate eyes like he was thinking something like that: "why do you smile at him and not at me?? why not meee???"
this scene was great but I like the handkerchief scene as well hehe he was close but not not close enough....poor Tsukasa :P
Last edited by gunjourui on Nov 2nd, '05, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.

makino_sanbr

Post by makino_sanbr » Oct 31st, '05, 22:55

shiruchan wrote:
Kathleen wrote:
TragicKingdom wrote:
And I also love those eyes... OMG... My fave scene in this episode 2 is
Ohhhh~~~~ Tsukasa, why are you not real? :heart:
Me too!!!! :cheers:
TI really loved the scene! " Poor Tsukasa... he is shaking with jealous!!!" i though
I was about to cry thing "Poor Tsukasa" when he is in the car too.. when he remmember her... Oh my..

firexfly5

Post by firexfly5 » Oct 31st, '05, 23:20

SEE IT!!!!

:D

I have never read the manga or watched the Meteor Garden (the chinese one..?) but I really like this drama! It's so interesting to see how they are.. wow, amazingly rich people. It really is ridiculous sometimes but I bet they don't think so.. heh, it's a really good drama! I CANNOT wait til the next episode comes out.. its great!!!

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 31st, '05, 23:21

Heh, just got done watching it (again) with my little brother. (Oddly enough, he prefers Tsukushi's regular look to the way she looked in the white dress...)

I keep on rewatching the scene near the end where Tsukasa gets all jealous over and over again. I absolutely adore jealous characters (girls and guys)... :heart:

I'm also happy to see that people are having a similar "poor Tsukasa!" reaction to this episode. I was wondering if people would get attached to Tsukasa for trying, or if they would gravitate towards Rui for actually coming through.

jayph

Post by jayph » Nov 1st, '05, 00:07

Is it me or the main girl (inoue Mao?) looks A LOT like Hamasaki Ayumi (before she debuted) ?? :unsure: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

moonlit

Post by moonlit » Nov 1st, '05, 01:55

I didn't think Jun did a particularly good job with the "jealous" face he did at the end of episode 2. It looked too forced.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Nov 1st, '05, 02:09

musouka wrote:Heh, just got done watching it (again) with my little brother. (Oddly enough, he prefers Tsukushi's regular look to the way she looked in the white dress...)
I like her "look" when she was "done by Tsukasa" than when she was fixed up by shizuka. But I couldnt help thinking "bride of dracula" at that particular scene. I also like how they contrasted/compared the atmosphere and tsukushi's reactions between the scenes when she was wearing the gloomy black dress to the ethereal white one.

I'm very impressed on how the screenwriter has woven the critical events from the manga. I mean, people who have read the manga or watched MG would notice the pacing. But for those who aren't familiar of the source, they wouldn't likely notice.

I was also surprised when I learned that Matsushima Nanako is acting as Tsukasa's sister :w00t: :w00t: Waiting for episode 3 is gonna be a torture.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Nov 1st, '05, 03:04

Kathleen i never expect you to have the same taste and interest as me.. my whole point is if you havent read a manga then plz dont say things like "she just gives up her bf to please another girl" becuz its totally wrong... u dont know the story then how do u know she does it to please another girl?
im not goin to continue this and i dont expect u to read the manga and like it either... its ur choice and i hav nothin to do w it anyway...
---
back to hyd i agree that Shun didn't show a good expression of jealousy at the end of the episode... maybe cuz it was too quick and he didnt hav time to? ^^ anyway jun is really cool.. i didnt like him in gokusen but his actin in hyd changed my opinion completely ^^

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Nov 1st, '05, 04:32

hey sunmoon, you talking about jun or shun?? they both acted in gokusen... :blink
man, i love them both!! (i have a much stronger pref for jun though)
i mean their complexion/feel/whatever is so wonderfully opposite, even in gokusen, one fair haired, one dark haired... should inspire some great scripts.
they should do more dramas, buddies, enemies, partners, whatever...

and ya, my fav scene would be same as some of you. the part where jun was just acting with eyes alone (the shoe part). the content and shifts in content in his eyes are really food for thought. just like my fav scenes in ep 1 was the dinner table scene and standing alone on the street scene (before the fight). they speak volumes.

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Nov 1st, '05, 04:52

fybabe wrote:and ya, my fav scene would be same as some of you. the part where jun was just acting with eyes alone (the shoe part). the content and shifts in content in his eyes are really food for thought. just like my fav scenes in ep 1 was the dinner table scene and standing alone on the street scene (before the fight). they speak volumes.
I also think that Jun conveys his emotions so well in those two scenes. The scene where he sits at the table with his mom, oh my, the way he looks at her is electrifying. It's probably one of the best (and certainly important) scene in episode 1. You can see his desperation, his resignation...; his eyes speak, I can even imagine Jun saying to his mom "firing the chef over such a small thing? You're too much" (a small protest/disapproval), but then at the same time, his look also gives out this message "As if I cared about what you do..." (pretentious indifference), and then his eyes right then seem to say something else more important "Why don't you pay a little more attention to me?" (thirst and longing for attention). I hope I'm not reading too much into such a simple scene, but that's how I saw it in Jun's acting. Simple scene, complex analysis. Gosh, I love the quick pace this drama is going, while it still maintains the complexity in every small detail. Just gotta love that.

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Nov 1st, '05, 05:56

mikomi wrote:I also think that Jun conveys his emotions so well in those two scenes. The scene where he sits at the table with his mom, oh my, the way he looks at her is electrifying. It's probably one of the best (and certainly important) scene in episode 1. You can see his desperation, his resignation...; his eyes speak, I can even imagine Jun saying to his mom "firing the chef over such a small thing? You're too much" (a small protest/disapproval), but then at the same time, his look also gives out this message "As if I cared about what you do..." (pretentious indifference), and then his eyes right then seem to say something else more important "Why don't you pay a little more attention to me?" (thirst and longing for attention). I hope I'm not reading too much into such a simple scene, but that's how I saw it in Jun's acting. Simple scene, complex analysis. Gosh, I love the quick pace this drama is going, while it still maintains the complexity in every small detail. Just gotta love that.
exactly!
the more compressed the script is, the more we need actors like jun to express them.
it could have dragged 3 eps with that mom scenario alone (that's why mg is so long winded, everything is like SHOUTED out - really kind of insulting the intelligience sometimes...)

unkei

Post by unkei » Nov 1st, '05, 09:05

fybabe wrote:
mikomi wrote:I also think that Jun conveys his emotions so well in those two scenes. The scene where he sits at the table with his mom, oh my, the way he looks at her is electrifying. It's probably one of the best (and certainly important) scene in episode 1. You can see his desperation, his resignation...; his eyes speak, I can even imagine Jun saying to his mom "firing the chef over such a small thing? You're too much" (a small protest/disapproval), but then at the same time, his look also gives out this message "As if I cared about what you do..." (pretentious indifference), and then his eyes right then seem to say something else more important "Why don't you pay a little more attention to me?" (thirst and longing for attention). I hope I'm not reading too much into such a simple scene, but that's how I saw it in Jun's acting. Simple scene, complex analysis. Gosh, I love the quick pace this drama is going, while it still maintains the complexity in every small detail. Just gotta love that.
exactly!
the more compressed the script is, the more we need actors like jun to express them.
it could have dragged 3 eps with that mom scenario alone (that's why mg is so long winded, everything is like SHOUTED out - really kind of insulting the intelligience sometimes...)
omgosh yeah i totally agree with both of you~~ i love jun, but i remember always being a bit skeptical of him playing tsukasa because of (yeah i know this is long-winded but...) his height. but now, i can't imagine any other tsukasa ever since jun because jun's somehow managed to make tsukasa HIS character. when it comes down to it, jun doesn't have a lot of dialogue, but whenever he's onscreen he steals the whole frame with his charisma, his intensity and his appeal. i totally agree how his expression and his eyes could act out a whole scene better than any dialogue can. omg that face he makes near the end when rui beat him to tsukushi when the girls were bullying her was...electrifying =D

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Nov 1st, '05, 09:45

oh my!
this is turning into a jun fangirl thread...haha... (but he's really great in hyd... :mrgreen: )
gomen ne!

i would love to see more reviews from non manga/shun/jun fans too please! hope we're not too overbearing!
i wonder if there are other points of views other then the recent 'jun flood'...
the reviews in the chinese forums are more mixed though. half hates it half loves it. some love shun, some love jun, some bash all the guys, some can't watch it after 15min... :scratch: