7%
Only if you have time (2)
3%
STAY AWAY (1)
1%

Total votes: 819

wachi

Post by wachi » Oct 21st, '05, 20:06

Yeah! You should have checked the torrent first before here. The file is even smaller in size than mine. Get it on BT.

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Oct 21st, '05, 20:11

wachi: is your version 704x396 as well?

wachi

Post by wachi » Oct 21st, '05, 20:13

^ Yes! I only watch all my jdramas in that size. :D

OK, who was it that has this really cute gif of Shun Oguri from GOKUSEN, god please show yourself, I love that gif, I was going to save it for my eyes pleasure, but forgot to. PLEASE!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Interview with the casts, press conferences, behind-the-scene, etc. File on my clubbox.

Jecky

Post by Jecky » Oct 22nd, '05, 03:26

:w000t: OMG!!!! it's HERE!!!!! all that waiting made me all excited!!!!! now i have to download it! :D ----->dying to see MatsuJun and Shun :wub: <------

KimiWaPet2150

Hana Yori Dango - 10 out of 10!

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Oct 22nd, '05, 03:27

So the reviews are true. Hana Yori Dango is one of, if not THE best TV drama of the year. Flat out.

You need to see it. That's all there is to say.

Jun, your sister's threats worked, because DAMN. You did an AMAZING job at being Tsukasa. Everything was amazing! The quality of the filming for this show, and the locationing along is reason enough to check this drama out.

Hana Yori Dango gets a 10 out of 10 with me.

- Rachel

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Oct 22nd, '05, 04:00

wahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's done downloading...............i'll be seeding this for a week so that others can get this as well~!!

i can't wait to watch this!!!! YATTA!!!! :heart:

Aireedhelien

Post by Aireedhelien » Oct 22nd, '05, 04:20

HELL YEAH ! ! ! i knew matsu jun will be the best tsukasa. I KNEW ! ! ! much more violent than in taiwanese version and acting so cool and mighty. i loved it! girl playing makino is pretty good too. i really loved first episode, though i hardly understand anything (thx god i read manga before). highly entertaining. so great they finally did jdorma based on HYD manga.

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Oct 22nd, '05, 04:33

Aireedhelien wrote:HELL YEAH ! ! ! i knew matsu jun will be the best tsukasa. I KNEW ! ! ! much more violent than in taiwanese version and acting so cool and mighty. i loved it! girl playing makino is pretty good too. i really loved first episode, though i hardly understand anything (thx god i read manga before). highly entertaining. so great they finally did jdorma based on HYD manga.
LoL, I'm sure someone will post up a sepeate downloadable sub file that you can download later on. ^__^ Hee. I'm the same with you. I could make out about 1/2 of what they said. Some stuff I'm still not good enough to get. -_-' heh.

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Oct 22nd, '05, 05:32

The directing is very cinematic and surreal which reminded me of watching a Tim Burton movie. This episode was very funny [I probably understood 75%-80% of the episode] and this series would be a great hard-sub project! Any translators? :lol

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Oct 22nd, '05, 05:53

yeppp , hope there'll be subs for this drama , hix --------------------------------------

purplexx

Post by purplexx » Oct 22nd, '05, 05:56

For the chinese fans who cannot wait for the english subs to come out, episode 1 with chinese subs is available for download at http://www.asianfanatics.net/forum.. Do check it out :-)

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Oct 22nd, '05, 06:04

purplexx wrote:For the chinese fans who cannot wait for the english subs to come out, episode 1 with chinese subs is available for download at http://www.asianfanatics.net/forum.. Do check it out :-)
great! will check this out~!! no problem with having two copies~ in fact, now I can share this with my cousins and.........parents? :-)

thanks for the link, purplexx

*edit
oh no...went to the site but found some upsetting news instead. To all members of AsianFanatics and friends/family/relatives/loved ones of Joe Poon, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. :cry:

moonlit

Post by moonlit » Oct 22nd, '05, 07:36

purplexx wrote:For the chinese fans who cannot wait for the english subs to come out, episode 1 with chinese subs is available for download at http://www.asianfanatics.net/forum.. Do check it out :-)
Ahh but you need to have like 20 posts at least to be able to access the downloads!?? I think I'll just wait for the English subbed version to come up...

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Oct 22nd, '05, 09:06

HAna YORI DANGO Newsss on my CB !!!! http://clubbox.co.kr/Nomanymore

joeyclaire

Post by joeyclaire » Oct 22nd, '05, 10:04

Here is the BT link to download the drama's 1st episode + chinese sub:
http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=07VLY ... S3MQPO8NN8

Credit: zyshow

tianj

Post by tianj » Oct 22nd, '05, 10:45

amrayu wrote:The directing is very cinematic and surreal which reminded me of watching a Tim Burton movie. This episode was very funny [I probably understood 75%-80% of the episode] and this series would be a great hard-sub project! Any translators? :lol
We're planning to hardsub this, but I can't seem to get response from SFfansubs now. The translator is working on it probably, since I sent the file to her already. I dunno if SF is out for just the weekend or what. But we need encoders and typesetters(when I asked SF whether they wanna hardsub, they said yes, but then I asked if they would help encode another drama, they said they don't have encoders, so I'm not sure if they can do the job). Anyone who can encode or be typesetter?? PM me ASAP...

Sak

Post by Sak » Oct 22nd, '05, 17:07

Just seen it .. although I couldn't understand a word of it, but having read the manga and seen the anime. I get the gesture of it and it was dead exciting, can't wait for it to be subbed and also the next episode :cheers:

Hats off to the torrentor who made it possible for us to see this :cheers:

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Oct 22nd, '05, 17:40

I'm still not convinced with Matsumoto Jun as Tsukasa. He's just so.... little. Although he did do a good job in making his voice be all macho. I was hoping it wouldn't be like he talked in kimi wa petto >_>; I think they cast Makino perfectly - the girl isn't stand-out pretty, kind of plain with the potential to be reaaaally pretty.

But I have to bow down to the casting director for casting Matsushima Nanako as Tsukasa's sister because SHE'S F(*)#&%@ PERFECT FOR THAT ROLE!!!! When I saw that in the previews I actually screamed out loud. She's seriously Tsukasa's sister incarnate.

Did the music sound like Harry Potter music to anyone else? That kind of bothered me. And also I think they CG'ed the outside of Tsukasa's house (I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like) so that bothered me. Couldn't they have found some huge big pimpin' building to shoot the outside of?

Still bothered by so few episodes - this drama needs to have 3 seasons of 12 episodes, damn it! They're gonna get served by Meteor Garden!

Now as I bring my rambling to a close, this is for whoever fansubs this drama - I implore you, don't sub anything anyone says as including the F word. I hate it when people do that. I remember watching PGSM and Jupiter said 'fuzakennayo' and they subbed it as "Don't F*&@ with me!" and I was just like "..." 'fuzakennayo' does not = F word. It stems from the word 'fuzakeru,' to joke. So it literally means "Don't joke with me"or "Don't play games with me" but can be said in a hostile context. It's not a nice thing to say, but it's not the F word, either. So please, think of the children! :P </rant>

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Oct 22nd, '05, 17:45

The house is real. They put a lot of money into this first episode. Watch the SP and you'll find out some more juicy behind the scenes secrets.
Last edited by amrayu on Oct 22nd, '05, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

nanorie

Post by nanorie » Oct 22nd, '05, 17:49

Haha, I thought it was just me.... It sounded exactly like a Harry Potter theme!

I liked Matsumoto Jun, I was a little skeptic at first, but I think he looked violent but really hurt inside.. (that scene with his mother)
And that little jump she did before she hit Tsukasa was a little dorky, but okay...

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Oct 22nd, '05, 18:27

awrittensin wrote:I'm still not convinced with Matsumoto Jun as Tsukasa. He's just so.... little. Although he did do a good job in making his voice be all macho. I was hoping it wouldn't be like he talked in kimi wa petto >_>; I think they cast Makino perfectly - the girl isn't stand-out pretty, kind of plain with the potential to be reaaaally pretty.

But I have to bow down to the casting director for casting Matsushima Nanako as Tsukasa's sister because SHE'S F(*)#&%@ PERFECT FOR THAT ROLE!!!! When I saw that in the previews I actually screamed out loud. She's seriously Tsukasa's sister incarnate.

Did the music sound like Harry Potter music to anyone else? That kind of bothered me. And also I think they CG'ed the outside of Tsukasa's house (I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like) so that bothered me. Couldn't they have found some huge big pimpin' building to shoot the outside of?

Still bothered by so few episodes - this drama needs to have 3 seasons of 12 episodes, damn it! They're gonna get served by Meteor Garden!

Now as I bring my rambling to a close, this is for whoever fansubs this drama - I implore you, don't sub anything anyone says as including the F word. I hate it when people do that. I remember watching PGSM and Jupiter said 'fuzakennayo' and they subbed it as "Don't F*&@ with me!" and I was just like "..." 'fuzakennayo' does not = F word. It stems from the word 'fuzakeru,' to joke. So it literally means "Don't joke with me"or "Don't play games with me" but can be said in a hostile context. It's not a nice thing to say, but it's not the F word, either. So please, think of the children! :P </rant>
Harry Potter meets Tim Birton music. ^___^ Hee-hee. I liked it though. Gave the school a darker feel when they alienate the red-flag kids. ^__^ Jun is tall by the way. ^^' heh. He's not small. Just thought I'd toss that out there for furture info. Yeah, the house isn't CGed. They spent a lot of money for the whole series actually. It's very high quality. I thought Jun's acting was darker and more threatening as well.

Good job was done by all. ^___^

I also agree though. Matsushima Nanako is a great Tsukasa's sister. ^__^

- Rachel

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Oct 22nd, '05, 18:31

Yup, the coupling of the direction and the music I get a Tim Burton "feel." Also with the surreal surroundings it reminds me of Willy Wonka.

makino_sanbr

Post by makino_sanbr » Oct 22nd, '05, 19:01

:cheers:
Oh my god!
this first ep was really great...
I still think that this drama could be 3 seasons with 12 ep....
But is very high quality... and Jun is a PERFECT Tsukasa...
I love so much Tsukasa... and he didn't´t get wrong..
Tsukasa is violent and sad..
I dying to see the "I'm totally I'm love.. and i will die for you.. if you ask me..." Look
that Tsukasa has.. and for sure Jun will make very good...
The others cast are good too..
Oguri Shun is lovely as Rui..
and the girl that play makino is very good too...
:wub:
I wanna see the ep 2 soon!!!!!! :cry:
Totally crazy about this Drama already
:D

cherryflavored_Keita

Post by cherryflavored_Keita » Oct 22nd, '05, 19:09

Okay, AS OF NOW (subject to change), I still like Meteor Garden better.

Let me start by saying I was a HUGE fan of the manga before I saw MG, and I am also a Matsumoto Jun fan.

Now that's out of the way.... I don't like MatsuJun's Doumyouji very much. I think that whatever drama Matsumoto Jun is in, he plays Matsumoto Jun. He is not a character actor. What I think we are seeing right now is a more violent Sawada Shin, instead of the loud, boistrous Doumyouji I expected. I think that people are forgetting an important aspect of Tsukasa's original character: when he red tagged kids or beat them up, it was usually because they EMBARRASSED him, and in turn made him all super-pissed off. Tsukasa was a very vulnerable character, who made stupid mistakes and often mispronounced words. Jerry Yan had that comedic side to the character down perfectly, and that's why people went crazy for him. MatsuJun is all muscle, no fun.

Makino is great!!! I love her. She's cute, and once the character came out of her shell at the end, she proved herself as Tsukushi. Although I didn't like how she was overly timid in the first part.

Hanazawa was equally well casted. I am a fan of Oguri-san and completely understand why Yaguchi Mari ditched Morning Musume for him. He was cool, and I loved how they have protrayed him so far.

Why the heck is Doumyouji's mom already in the series? Oh yeah, because there's only like 2 episodes in the whole thing.....

Also, the music: the Arashi theme was dumb........... I'm sick of all of these Johnny's-supported dramas!!! And here I am, an Arashi fan, even.... But I loved the opening sequence overall. Of course, "Planetarium" is one of the hottest songs around right now, and any music by the lovely Otsuka Ai is welcome in my book, so nice choice for insert song. The orchestral BGM was good, I thought, but made the tone of the show way too serious.

Overall, I think that was my main problem with this version so far: it is entirely too serious for it's own good. I didn't laugh at all.

Here's hoping for a lighter one next week!!

Eria

Post by Eria » Oct 22nd, '05, 19:45

i saw hyd at 5 this morning after i came from a couple parties.

i thought there's something missing that i can't explain. whenever he comes out and does his line and leaves, i feel like i was left hanging.

and i somewhat feel rushed with the whole 9 episodes thing. it's too direct. it's not that i want it to drag cuz that's what some parts of mg did for me, but the essence of their characters in the manga is not quite totally there. and since i read it, i just fill myself in with whatever's missing.

but then again, i watched it at 5 in the morning after a few shots of johnny, a couple cocktail drinks and a few coronas. i should watch it again.

and oh yeah, thanks in advance to the "future" subbers!

ina

Post by ina » Oct 22nd, '05, 20:02

I loved it, but then I only have seen a bit of the anime and read a bit of the manga. I was never a huge fan of it, so I more or less know the basic story, which helped a lot since my Japanese is not good enough to really understand it.

I thought "Harry Potter music" too! :D But it gave the school a really dark feeling, which is good.

If it will be a well rounded story then I am okay with 9 episodes, for the transition from manga and anime stuff always needs to be cut and rearranged. It is a different medium and it's better if it can also stand on it own without relaying on the manga.

And Japanese doramas just aren't as long as Taiwanese ones, so there never was a chance for more than 12 episodes anyway.

afroken

Post by afroken » Oct 22nd, '05, 20:03

Haha, i thought of Harry Potter too when I heard the 1st music. xD

I love this! : D It's sosososo great! People should really, really see this!
I've never read the Meteor Garden manga before, or watched the anime,
but now I feel I really need / want to!

The 1st episode was great! So exciting! Can't wait for the 2nd!

nanorie

Post by nanorie » Oct 22nd, '05, 20:12

Nah.. Meteor Garden is good, but the acting kinda sucks from time to time.. and the sets and clothes, but thats okay. Because it really didn't matter.. the script was really good, which was pretty much the reason you kept watching. (And because of Jerry and Vic's goodlooks)

Let me ask you this. If you watch the first episode of meteor garden (and pretend that you've never seen whole MG), and then watch hana yori dango. Kinda hard, but Jerry is kind of a wussy Si to begin with..
He's a rich boy with have never felt real love, from his family or anybody. He's shorttempered, and violent..
Personally, I think MatsuJuns version of Tsukasa is better.. because it shows more of the lonely Tsukasa which makes trough the day tormenting other people trying to make it feel better... but does it?
No..
I also like Meteor Garden alot, as well as Jerry.. but you shouldn't really judge it just by the first ep.

pathoz

Post by pathoz » Oct 22nd, '05, 20:13

I was actually impressed by Matsumoto Jun. I guess I underestimated his abilities to portray the main character, especially Matsumoto is quite short and scrawny when compared ot Jerry Yan of Meteor Garden. I've never read the manga, but if cherryflavored_Keita descriptions of Doumyouji in the manga was right, then I change my mind. Matsumoto is nooooooooowhere near it.

Oguri Shun, however, is aawwwesome. Sigh. I always wanted Tsukushi to go to Hanazawa instead of Doumyouji in the end. Oh well.

So it was a good first episode, altho I don't like the fact that there's only eight more left -_-

Aireedhelien

Post by Aireedhelien » Oct 22nd, '05, 20:16

cherryflavored_Keita wrote:when he red tagged kids or beat them up, it was usually because they EMBARRASSED him, and in turn made him all super-pissed off
but didn't it came out later in the manga, and at the beginning he was like that brainless, killing machine, very aggressive and violent???

original title of manga is hana yori dango not meteor garden.

Ezz

Post by Ezz » Oct 22nd, '05, 21:49

cherryflavored_Keita wrote:I don't like MatsuJun's Doumyouji very much. What I think we are seeing right now is a more violent Sawada Shin, instead of the loud, boistrous Doumyouji I expected. I think that people are forgetting an important aspect of Tsukasa's original character: when he red tagged kids or beat them up, it was usually because they EMBARRASSED him, and in turn made him all super-pissed off. Tsukasa was a very vulnerable character, who made stupid mistakes and often mispronounced words.
After watching the first episode and observing this thread I finally have something to say. Regarding Jun, his height is the main thing that bothers me as of yet. For a strong, powerful Doumyouji he just doesn't have the right height. However watching Jun, I don't feel his acting was all that bad. I think it is true what cherryflavored_Keita said about him missing an essential aspect of Tsukasa's original character. Though I don't entirely agree with this statement: "when he red tagged kids or beat them up, it was usually because they EMBARRASSED him, and in turn made him all super-pissed off". Indeed Tsukasa is a vulnerable character, who makes stupid mistakes and often mispronounces words, especially in the beginning of the series. But he also comes over very violent. However I can't remember Tsukasa beating and tagging kids because they EMBARRASSED him. Everyone at Eitoku Academy knows of Tsuka's influence and temper. So they're all to scared to oppose him. The few who did go against Tsukasa merely pissed him off. I don't remember embarrasment coming in to place.(The only people who would embarrass Tsukasa are Makino, Kazuya (Makino's friend) and the rest of the F4. And he would just get super-pissed off.) Thus seeing the first ep I approve of Jun who has portrayed a violent Tsukasa just like the Tsukasa in the beginning of the manga.
Despite this is still agree that the stupid Tsukasa is important to his character in the beginning. It's after Doumyouji meets Makino and falls in love with her that he matures in the later volumes. However since this drama only spans over 9 episodes it's difficult to portray a Tsukasa that grows in such a little time. This also depends on how much the drama will cover the plot from the manga. Maybe the director took this in to account. It's still early to completely assess Jun's acting of Tsukasa.

Do note that we might see more of Tsukasa's character through Jun in the next episode when Makino is at his house.
Jerry Yan had that comedic side to the character down perfectly, and that's why people went crazy for him.
Jerry Yan came over really stupid to me. He seemed like a wuss who in addition was really dumb. To add to that, his hair in the first few episodes was enough to make me cringe. I didn't find him a convincing Tsukasa at all. Jerry was just shorttempered, he doesn't have that dangerous presence like Doumyouji in the manga.
Aireedhelien wrote:
cherryflavored_Keita wrote:when he red tagged kids or beat them up, it was usually because they EMBARRASSED him, and in turn made him all super-pissed off
but didn't it came out later in the manga, and at the beginning he was like that brainless, killing machine, very aggressive and violent???

original title of manga is hana yori dango not meteor garden.
Aireedhelien is right. ^^ In the beginning Tsukasa was like a brainless, killing machine, very aggressive and violent.

Sak

Post by Sak » Oct 22nd, '05, 22:14

Ezz wrote: After watching the first episode and observing this thread I finally have something to say. Regarding Jun, his height is the main thing that bothers me as of yet. For a strong, powerful Doumyouji he just doesn't have the right height. However watching Jun, I don't feel his acting was all that bad. I think it is true what cherryflavored_Keita said about him missing an essential aspect of Tsukasa's original character. Though I don't entirely agree with this statement: "when he red tagged kids or beat them up, it was usually because they EMBARRASSED him, and in turn made him all super-pissed off". Indeed Tsukasa is a vulnerable character, who makes stupid mistakes and often mispronounces words, especially in the beginning of the series. But he also comes over very violent. However I can't remember Tsukasa beating and tagging kids because they EMBARRASSED him. Everyone at Eitoku Academy knows of Tsuka's influence and temper. So they're all to scared to oppose him. The few who did go against Tsukasa merely pissed him off. I don't remember embarrasment coming in to place.(The only people who would embarrass Tsukasa are Makino, Kazuya (Makino's friend) and the rest of the F4. And he would just get super-pissed off.) Thus seeing the first ep I approve of Jun who has portrayed a violent Tsukasa just like the Tsukasa in the beginning of the manga.
Despite this is still agree that the stupid Tsukasa is important to his character in the beginning. It's after Doumyouji meets Makino and falls in love with her that he matures in the later volumes. However since this drama only spans over 9 episodes it's difficult to portray a Tsukasa that grows in such a little time. This also depends on how much the drama will cover the plot from the manga. Maybe the director took this in to account. It's still early to completely assess Jun's acting of Tsukasa.

Do note that we might see more of Tsukasa's character through Jun in the next episode when Makino is at his house.

I agree that the guy that played Doumyouji wasn' tall enough nor in my opinion was he scary enough. He looked kinda wimpy to me. I was laughing at his fighting scene, he wasn't very good and his kicks wasn't very high :D ... the character is an expert in Akido and Karate. So should his fighting skills should be and look better. But he was the the more alike to the character than the rest of the F4. The rest was wimpy too, not tall enough and not good looking enough. I didn't think they portrait the charcters so well. However I think Makino was spot on. She was cute and bubbly enough and with the storyline later on with the make over can look pretty.

I don't rem that it was embarrasement that made Doumoyjii lash out. If I recall in the earlier day, he just torment and beat up anyone he felt like. Till Makino changed him later on to a more responsible person.

I guess the change in the storyline was to adapt for the tv/shorter version. I like it anyhow :salut:

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 22nd, '05, 22:34

cherryflavored_Keita wrote: I think that people are forgetting an important aspect of Tsukasa's original character: when he red tagged kids or beat them up, it was usually because they EMBARRASSED him, and in turn made him all super-pissed off.
Actually, he beat people up because he enjoyed having power over them. I know people have already responded to this, but I just wanted to give some examples. Things like "getting dust on pants" or "falling on you" are not embarassing. He was not blushing or annoyed when people did these things to him, he was just looking for an excuse to beat up on people. I think it was mainly because he loved seeing them so scared of him.

In all honesty, I think the drama (and MatsuJun) is doing a good thing in tweaking how Tsukasa comes across. Tsukasa has a few very "cute" aspects to his personality--and I think we saw some of them in the OP sequence with his almost childish attempts to get between Tsukushi and Rui--but as the manga series progressed, he transformed from "comic relief" to "SCARY"
when he almost raped Tsukushi.
The way the drama is going about it, is we are supposed to take him seriously from the beginning. I'm sure his cute points will come out later, but it's also important to get across how dangerous he is. Like, the kidnapping scene in the manga, for example. I wasn't worried about Tsukushi for a second when that happened because Tsukasa had been painted as kind of a joke. But in the drama, it completely freaked me out.

Ezz

Post by Ezz » Oct 22nd, '05, 22:34

Sak wrote:I agree that the guy that played Doumyouji wasn' tall enough nor in my opinion was he scary enough. He looked kinda wimpy to me. I was laughing at his fighting scene, he wasn't very good and his kicks wasn't very high :D ... the character is an expert in Akido and Karate. So should his fighting skills should be and look better. But he was the the more alike to the character than the rest of the F4. The rest was wimpy too, not tall enough and not good looking enough. I didn't think they portrait the charcters so well. However I think Makino was spot on. She was cute and bubbly enough and with the storyline later on with the make over can look pretty.

I don't rem that it was embarrasement that made Doumoyjii lash out. If I recall in the earlier day, he just torment and beat up anyone he felt like. Till Makino changed him later on to a more responsible person.

I guess the change in the storyline was to adapt for the tv/shorter version. I like it anyhow :salut:
Yeah, Jun's height isn't good :( Despite that he's scarier than that Jerry Yan. I really don't like that guy. I still remember him dancing in one scene when he was really happy. That is so unlike Doumyouji. Tsukasa is cool, leaving his violent, psycho character aside. I still remember a part in the manga where makino agreed to date him and Tsukasa was so happy. He definitely didn't do some stupid dance. -.-

LOL, the rest of the F4... Oguri Shun is cute in his own way. Just Akira and Soujirou... urgh... They're nowhere near handsome enough. Especially Akira, when you see him in the Hana Yori Dango SP. T_T

Inoue Mao portrays Makino Tsukushi really well. Though she was too timid in the first ep... Makino isn't like that in the manga. Though later her attitude is ambiguous which is frustrating at times.
musouka wrote:The way the drama is going about it, is we are supposed to take him seriously from the beginning. I'm sure his cute points will come out later, but it's also important to get across how dangerous he is. Like, the kidnapping scene in the manga, for example. I wasn't worried about Tsukushi for a second when that happened because Tsukasa had been painted as kind of a joke. But in the drama, it completely freaked me out.
hehe, I totally agree with you that we're supposed to take Tsukasa seriously. He IS very dangerous in the beginning which needs to be emphasized. His other qualities will probably come out in the following episodes.
LOL, the kidnapping scene didn't freak me out in the manga nor did it in the drama ^^;;;
Last edited by Ezz on Oct 23rd, '05, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 22nd, '05, 22:57

Ezz wrote: LOL, the kidnapping scene didn't freak me out in the manga nor did it in the drama ^^;;;
Well, it didn't freak me out in the sense that I was hiding under my bed or anything, but more of the fact that it seemed dangerous. It was a good freak out, like "wow, this is better than I expected it to be!"

Especially the look on Tsukasa's face. I mean, in the manga, he looks funny. Mostly due to Kamio's artisitic limitations, but he's still hard to take seriously at that point in time.

shirahime

Post by shirahime » Oct 22nd, '05, 22:58

I loooooooove the bad guy Jun so seductive!
I totally forgot how silly and goofy he really is :mrgreen:

Ezz

Post by Ezz » Oct 22nd, '05, 23:04

Kamio's drawing changed considerably over the series. I liked the art towards the end better. In the beginning Tsukasa looked really weird... Fortunately the art changed for the better and he (and the others) become more handsome.

Sak

Post by Sak » Oct 22nd, '05, 23:40

Ezz wrote:Kamio's drawing changed considerably over the series. I liked the art towards the end better. In the beginning Tsukasa looked really weird... Fortunately the art changed for the better and he (and the others) become more handsome.
Hey I noticed that too, towards the end they all look better especially Doumouyjii. The hair is much better too at the end than at the start.

Oh and I never seen MG btw. Until a month ago, I never knew what HYD was. Found the Anime on torrent watch that was hooked then went to search the Manga too ... became a total addict from the word go :mrgreen:

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Oct 22nd, '05, 23:44

watched this 1st ep today but I guess I have to watch it 2 or 3 more times to say if I really love it or just like it coz this time I was too exited to think clearly LOL as for now I love everything about HYD :P but maybe it's because I've been waiting to watch it for so long ...I'll see what I think about it after watching it again...

ok maybe I'm the only one here but I don't need to imagine stopping watching MG after 2nd ep coz I really stopped there :P I didn't like it at all + I fall asleep on both eps so there was no point of watching the rest of it. Normally I would watch it only because of hot guys but I don't think those tw actors were hot enough LOL this 1st ep of HYD however, was awesome!! I like the cast and I think MatsuJun is doing a great job here! he's so different than before and he doesn't have puppy eyes anymore hehe but this evil look!! totally love him here!! :wub: :wub: :wub: his acting is fine as well. Shun-chan is cute as always and he's got this cool hairstyle! don't you think it suits him perfectly? liked Inoue Mao as well hehe she was great beating Tsukasa :lol

hmm so Tsukushi is going to date Tsukasa?? lol someone is giving out the story here :crazy: :lol ok ok this is actually pretty obvious even for me who don't know the story :lol

I guess this is the reason I see this dorama in a little bit different way then you guys. I don't have an opinion on how the characters should look like that one is too short and the other is not hot enough. So won't be compering this dorama to MG/anime/manga or whatever got released. but I guess not knowing the story and not having en expectations how they should look like isn't all that bad. I'm going to wait for next eps to see what happens later and I'm just going to enjoy the dorama :-)

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Oct 22nd, '05, 23:48

Sak wrote: Hey I noticed that too, towards the end they all look better especially Doumouyjii. The hair is much better too at the end than at the start.
that's because MatsuJun's hairstyle is strange hehe but you're getting used to it before the end of the ep :mrgreen:

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Oct 23rd, '05, 01:10

Was I the only one who got all excited seeing Sato Megumi in ep.01? She'll be 21 in November, so she's a little old to be playing a high schooler, but I hope the exposure here will help her. While nothing much in this first ep, she's the cutest thing in the commercials she's in. Anyone know if any of her photobooks are any good?
Attachments
satou megumi.jpg
satou megumi.jpg (127.04 KiB) Viewed 4606 times

lasusal

Post by lasusal » Oct 23rd, '05, 01:19

:-( not sure if its bad make up or jun hasnt been taking good care of himself lately, in some scenes, i can see bumps (assuming its acne) on his face

Oguri Shin looks the best

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Oct 23rd, '05, 01:42

I noticed those bumps on MatsuJun's face, too.

And to clarify what I said earlier about MatsuJun being too small to play Tsukasa, I didn't mean just height, I meant build in general. Regardless of how he is in real life or whatever, on screen, MatsuJun appears to be very tiny and not of a muscular build. So in that respect I think the guy who played Tsukasa in the Taiwanese version had a body better suited to Tsukasa's.

I'm not sure how I feel about the casting of the guy who plays Rui - because with Rui, it's all about that hushed, whispery voice. I was amazed that the guy in Meteor Garden pulled off that same tone of voice, but at this point I don't hear it in this drama :( It's all about the voice!!

I'm not down with the chick they cast as Shizuka, either. Maybe it was just a bad shot of her, but her face looked really weird. :blink

About the house: Yeah, I didn't watch the specials so I was just guessing about the house being CG'ed. Shots of it at night made it appear to be CG'ed for some reason, maybe it was just a weird camera effect. Plus the Harry Potter music made me think CG. :P

As for MatsuJun, I really think it'll come down to how well he can act this role for him to pull it off, since he doesn't measure up to Tsukasa's image physically. I'm hoping he really blows me away and I change my opinion about him. (However, Tsukasa is my favorite character out of any series EVER so he has a hard job ahead of him :lol )

Eria

Post by Eria » Oct 23rd, '05, 02:58

i watched it again sober this time.

i must say, my opinion changed a little bit but i still have that uneasy feeling because some parts from the manga have been changed. i knew the script was altered one way or another to give it a different feel, but something's missing in MY opinion.

i think the bumps on jun's face made him hotter. finally, his real age is showing with those bumps. lol. just hope he doesn't break out!

nonetheless, i'd still have his kids and i'd still watch hyd til the end.
Last edited by Eria on Oct 23rd, '05, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Oct 23rd, '05, 03:09

cherryflavored_Keita wrote:Okay, AS OF NOW (subject to change), I still like Meteor Garden better.

Let me start by saying I was a HUGE fan of the manga before I saw MG, and I am also a Matsumoto Jun fan.

Now that's out of the way.... I don't like MatsuJun's Doumyouji very much. I think that whatever drama Matsumoto Jun is in, he plays Matsumoto Jun. He is not a character actor. What I think we are seeing right now is a more violent Sawada Shin, instead of the loud, boistrous Doumyouji I expected. I think that people are forgetting an important aspect of Tsukasa's original character: when he red tagged kids or beat them up, it was usually because they EMBARRASSED him, and in turn made him all super-pissed off. Tsukasa was a very vulnerable character, who made stupid mistakes and often mispronounced words. Jerry Yan had that comedic side to the character down perfectly, and that's why people went crazy for him. MatsuJun is all muscle, no fun.

Makino is great!!! I love her. She's cute, and once the character came out of her shell at the end, she proved herself as Tsukushi. Although I didn't like how she was overly timid in the first part.

Hanazawa was equally well casted. I am a fan of Oguri-san and completely understand why Yaguchi Mari ditched Morning Musume for him. He was cool, and I loved how they have protrayed him so far.

Why the heck is Doumyouji's mom already in the series? Oh yeah, because there's only like 2 episodes in the whole thing.....

Also, the music: the Arashi theme was dumb........... I'm sick of all of these Johnny's-supported dramas!!! And here I am, an Arashi fan, even.... But I loved the opening sequence overall. Of course, "Planetarium" is one of the hottest songs around right now, and any music by the lovely Otsuka Ai is welcome in my book, so nice choice for insert song. The orchestral BGM was good, I thought, but made the tone of the show way too serious.

Overall, I think that was my main problem with this version so far: it is entirely too serious for it's own good. I didn't laugh at all.

Here's hoping for a lighter one next week!!
I'm sure it'll be lighter in the next episode. After all, this is the first episode, and it's an intoduction to the series and the charaters for those who DON'T read manga. ^__^' Many people in Japan haven't seen MG either, so you must take both into consideration, like the diretor and stuff does as well.

- Rachel

Johnny's has been doing a lot of Dramas. I adore the opening as well. ^__^ I don't mind Arashi's new song for the theme. It's cute, and makes me smile. :)

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Oct 23rd, '05, 03:20

musouka wrote: The way the drama is going about it, is we are supposed to take him seriously from the beginning. I'm sure his cute points will come out later, but it's also important to get across how dangerous he is. Like, the kidnapping scene in the manga, for example. I wasn't worried about Tsukushi for a second when that happened because Tsukasa had been painted as kind of a joke. But in the drama, it completely freaked me out.
:cheers: YES! :cheers:

I agree. My eyes went wide with delight when I watched that part. It gets across how much power he doe have in the begining. You should be scared, like one of the students, etc. You should ge that feeling, and as the show/series goes on...then you find out a character's weak points, cute points, etc.

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Oct 23rd, '05, 03:28

Ezz wrote:
Yeah, Jun's height isn't good :( Despite that he's scarier than that Jerry Yan. I really don't like that guy. I still remember him dancing (really gayish) in one scene when he was really happy.
Gayish...my friend is gay. Use a nicer word please. It's crude to describe someone's dancing skills to someone of a sex orientation. Especially when you're trying to make a sound criticize something and sound convincing.

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Oct 23rd, '05, 03:37

yamatsumi wrote:watched this 1st ep today but I guess I have to watch it 2 or 3 more times to say if I really love it or just like it coz this time I was too exited to think clearly LOL as for now I love everything about HYD :P but maybe it's because I've been waiting to watch it for so long ...I'll see what I think about it after watching it again...

ok maybe I'm the only one here but I don't need to imagine stopping watching MG after 2nd ep coz I really stopped there :P I didn't like it at all + I fall asleep on both eps so there was no point of watching the rest of it. Normally I would watch it only because of hot guys but I don't think those tw actors were hot enough LOL this 1st ep of HYD however, was awesome!! I like the cast and I think MatsuJun is doing a great job here! he's so different than before and he doesn't have puppy eyes anymore hehe but this evil look!! totally love him here!! :wub: :wub: :wub: his acting is fine as well. Shun-chan is cute as always and he's got this cool hairstyle! don't you think it suits him perfectly? liked Inoue Mao as well hehe she was great beating Tsukasa :lol

hmm so Tsukushi is going to date Tsukasa?? lol someone is giving out the story here :crazy: :lol ok ok this is actually pretty obvious even for me who don't know the story :lol

I guess this is the reason I see this dorama in a little bit different way then you guys. I don't have an opinion on how the characters should look like that one is too short and the other is not hot enough. So won't be compering this dorama to MG/anime/manga or whatever got released. but I guess not knowing the story and not having en expectations how they should look like isn't all that bad. I'm going to wait for next eps to see what happens later and I'm just going to enjoy the dorama :-)
This is where I really agree with you. You can to look at it as if YOU were fliming the show. How would you take it? You have to consider the fact that they can show ___ amount of episodes, and then move on from there. Then okay, so we have set amount of episodes, and now have to make the series be amazing in this amount of episodes, and have it make sense for those WHO KNOW NOTHING about Hana Yori Dango on top of it. All because the show is Japanese, doens't mean that EVERYONE in Japan is an Otaku people. ^__^'

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Oct 23rd, '05, 03:39

greyhorse wrote:Was I the only one who got all excited seeing Sato Megumi in ep.01? She'll be 21 in November, so she's a little old to be playing a high schooler, but I hope the exposure here will help her. While nothing much in this first ep, she's the cutest thing in the commercials she's in. Anyone know if any of her photobooks are any good?
Most of the characters are over 20. Jun is 22 for example. ^__^

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Oct 23rd, '05, 03:45

Eria wrote:i watched it again sober this time.

i must say, my opinion changed a little bit but i still have that uneasy feeling because some parts from the manga have been changed. i knew the script was altered one way or another to give it a different feel, but something's missing in MY opinion.

i think the bumps on jun's face made him hotter. finally, his real age is showing with those bumps. lol. just hope he doesn't break out!

You also have to consider this is a Drama, not some photo shoot that they photoshop the heck out of to make them look perfect. We all have flaws. ^__^

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Oct 23rd, '05, 04:19

I finished the first episode a couple of hours ago, and honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. I highly anticipated the drama, and I myself have read the manga and watched the Taiwanese version, so I came to view HYD with some set expectation in mind. I agree that the cinematography and the actings are very solid in this Japanese version, but I just felt that the story is condensed so much that watching isn't fun anymore. It's like getting all the major facts, without getting to know the little details leading to them. I'm not exactly disappointed, but I'm not entirely blown away either. The bad thing about remake is that, even when you don't intend to, you will somehow always compare the remake to the original (in this case, MG came out first, so I'd just say, it's the original, even though HYD is originally from Japan). That was exactly what I did. I compared without meaning to. I just felt that in MG, viewers can get to see more of the F4 than in HYD.
One episode down, eight more to go. Honestly, I wonder how they're gonna fit all 36 volumes into 9 episodes?!! That worries me T__T;

Okay, enough with the complaints, let's see what I like about this first episode. Hm, the atmosphere is quite nice, the directing technique is more professional and consistent. The actings are convincing enough, I like the girl who plays Makino. She portrays the character well, like how she is all timid at first, until she's pushed around too much that she finally reacts. Oguri Shun is soo charming in this drama. I think he fits his role nicely. I still need time to get used to the other F3 though.

Overall, it was a good first episode :D

musouka

Post by musouka » Oct 23rd, '05, 04:35

I don't think they're even going to try to fit all of the manga. But what I don't think people realize is that the manga had a LOT of needless stuff in it. Eventually it got to the point where the author was just throwing anything she could think of in order to keep the main couple apart. Don't get me wrong, I love the manga, but even I can admit that you could probably cut it in half and not lose much.

I mean, to be perfectly honest, I'm not going to get upset if the drama doesn't have the Kin arc, the beauty pagent story, the whole deal with Amon, and the horrible horrible anmesia arc, just to name a few drops in the bucket. Neither am I going to cry into my pillow at night at the thought of missing that rude American guy, or Tsukushi's painfully annoying and useless "nouveau riche" friend.

I think it's possible to do a perfectly fine adaptation without feeling the need to include every single plot or storyline from the original series. Just as long as it doesn't end the same as the anime, I'm sure I'll be happy.
Last edited by musouka on Oct 23rd, '05, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Oct 23rd, '05, 04:54

yamatsumi wrote: I guess this is the reason I see this dorama in a little bit different way then you guys. I don't have an opinion on how the characters should look like that one is too short and the other is not hot enough. So won't be compering this dorama to MG/anime/manga or whatever got released. but I guess not knowing the story and not having en expectations how they should look like isn't all that bad. I'm going to wait for next eps to see what happens later and I'm just going to enjoy the dorama :-)
I think that is a good thing not watching MG beforehand, because you might unconsciously compare the two, and that will decrease all the fun. Even when I did watch the TW version, I still don't have a problem about the appearances of the F4 in the Japanese version. They all look okay to me, not outright handsome but they're good enough for the roles. I have decided now, I'm just gonna enjoy the drama and not worry about other factors, hehe...

NaTsUmE_MaYa

Post by NaTsUmE_MaYa » Oct 23rd, '05, 05:01

waahh....i just finished watching the 1st episode of HYD..i think it was damned wonderful :thumright: :thumleft: .....i never read the manga but i've seen MG..HYD drama is more compressed..i think it's better though...all in all..i'm really enjoying the drama so much..

p/s: oguri shun is choo kakkoii!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

apples

Post by apples » Oct 23rd, '05, 05:52

yamatsumi wrote:guess this is the reason I see this dorama in a little bit different way then you guys. I don't have an opinion on how the characters should look like that one is too short and the other is not hot enough. So won't be compering this dorama to MG/anime/manga or whatever got released. but I guess not knowing the story and not having en expectations how they should look like isn't all that bad. I'm going to wait for next eps to see what happens later and I'm just going to enjoy the dorama
I didn't expect I'd be distracted so much. Especially when I not only compare it (while watching it for the first time) with MG, but also with the anime and manga. I'd probably enjoy it more not knowing about it. From the op/cm it's obvious who Tsukushi is going to end up with. But from the anime, I couldn't tell until ep12 or so.
I finished the first episode a couple of hours ago, and honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. I highly anticipated the drama, and I myself have read the manga and watched the Taiwanese version, so I came to view HYD with some set expectation in mind. I agree that the cinematography and the actings are very solid in this Japanese version, but I just felt that the story is condensed so much that watching isn't fun anymore. It's like getting all the major facts, without getting to know the little details leading to them. I'm not exactly disappointed, but I'm not entirely blown away either. The bad thing about remake is that, even when you don't intend to, you will somehow always compare the remake to the original (in this case, MG came out first, so I'd just say, it's the original, even though HYD is originally from Japan). That was exactly what I did. I compared without meaning to. I just felt that in MG, viewers can get to see more of the F4 than in HYD.
One episode down, eight more to go. Honestly, I wonder how they're gonna fit all 36 volumes into 9 episodes?!! That worries me T__T;
When I first heard about HYD drama, I was excited that Jun was going to play tsukasa. i'm not really that impressed with his performances from other dramas, but he looks tougher, meaner and his eyes seems colder than jerry yan's. His height bothered me, but when I saw the CM, I knew he was great for the role. Although the acting in MG bothered me, I got used to it and watched it cos it was hyd. Anyway, I like the tsukushi here. when I watched MG, it seemed like I was watching a different story. Maybe because I really couldn't see tsukushi in barbie and tsukasa in jerry yan.

I wondered about the drama being 9 episodes too. it seems like it's gonna cut out a lot of stuffs from the manga. Whether or not they do that, I trust they're going to do well on this drama . I can't wait for the next episode!

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Oct 23rd, '05, 06:17

Here's to my first ever episode (jdrama/kdrama) that I was able to watch completely w/o subs. I love it :heart: . I love it even if I only understood 50% of it and almost cried at the scene in the Lab and the cafeteria(poor lobster).
I've seen Meteor Garden, and of course I cant help but compare the two while watching the jdrama version. I've also read a few volumes of the manga and Im planning to finish the whole thing before episode 2 comes out. What I noticed was that, I was never attached to the story between Lei and Shancai, and reading the actual story in the manga didnt do anything for me as well. But when the camera shifted suddenly to show Shun napping on the Lab benches, and saved Tsukushi...I was totally mesmerized. That's when the frustration kicked in...man, I wish I understood Japanese :-( He sorta looked like he was saying some interesting things.

And concerning the height of Matsujun, I dont really care. What Im worried about is how he'll pull off the endearing part of Tsukasa. When I saw that last scene when his face popped out of the car's window...I thought, "There's hope." I love Daoming si from Meteor Garden, but that boy cant act especially during romantic and violent scenes. What's he's good at is acting dumb and stupid. That's why I like him...probably the only character Ive liked in MG.

I hated Barbie in MG especially her musings, and the way she portrayed her love for Lei. It was undignified and pathetic. But Inoue Mao...I'm falling in love with this girl (no malice). :salut: She's the closest match from manga to drama...as Tsukasa. I was mentally cheering for her when she punched Jun.

Lastly, what really got to me were the parents. They were both annoying in MG and the Manga. But here :cry: ...that obento :cry: That scene and then the background music, while the obento was getting massacred by Jun...I might have seriously cried if there were subs.

Whoa, I just noticed that fan girls has replaced the otakus. LOL. Last time, it was the male population of d-addicts drooling..err, discussing over Hermes-san from Densha Otoko...and now it's Hana Yori Dango fan girls squealing over Shun and Jun. I can see that the latter is more powerful. :whistling:

apples

Post by apples » Oct 23rd, '05, 06:28

jaycee05 wrote:.I'm falling in love with this girl (no malice). :salut: She's the closest match from manga to drama...as Tsukasa. I was mentally cheering for her when she punched Jun.

Lastly, what really got to me were the parents. They were both annoying in MG and the Manga. But here :cry: ...that obento :cry: That scene and then the background music, while the obento was getting massacred by Jun...I might have seriously cried if there were subs.
I love the girl playing Tsukushi! I'll probably like her more than the one in the manga/anime.

That obento scene was done really well. I too almost cried when I saw jun stepping on that lobster(or whatever it was) plus the flashback. that was just cruel.

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Oct 23rd, '05, 06:41

i watched hyd yesterday.
and as a hyd manga hater and a MG hater, i thought i would steer clear of this if it weren't for my curiosity of how matsujun would portray someone so unlike the characters he's done before and himself.

i thought the first ep was fantastic.
i mean coming from someone who absolutely detest any previous versions of hyd, probably mean something... haha...

well, my overall out-take was that the production team was smart enough to compact the long winded storyline into something much more watchable and focused.
i know that those who loves the manga are complaining that this scene is missing or that scene is changed, etc... but film language is something altogether different from a novel. there's always more space to imagine from some drawings and manga-fied expressions, but lots of stuff will seem corny on screen or too draggy. i believe the script writers only trimmed it for the better.

i thought it was straight to the point but still managed to say alot in one ep.
since alot of talk here revolves around domyoji, i'll just focus on talking about him. ^^

domyoji couldn't have been better.

i think there are already at least 2 versions of domyoji: the manga and the MG.
but i thought this domyoji was more 3 dimensional. kudos to the script writer again (i'm a sucker on production). and the fact that they have in their hands, a 173cm domyoji and not a 183cm domyoji.

so, after watching this 1st ep, jun's domyoji is more like a bully - someone who's more intimidating in wealth than in strength.
he's a hot-headed, corky, spoilt nuisanse who bullies others and takes for granted that no one would dare fight back. (he never loses a fight either.) he's got a sinister temper from his cold upbringing, and coupled with his family's wealthy background, and the adulation from the other students around him, makes him the outer domyoji that jun portrays.
what was great was near the ending where the inner, vulnerable domyoji was peeping out after he got hit by tsukushi.
i thought that jun did an amazing job revealing nearly all aspects of the domyoji that he wants to portray. so ya, he's not the manga nor the mg domyoji, but who cares, it's still one hell of a domyoji!

i'm looking forward to the next ep. hope that jun will reveal even more aspects of the character.
hope that they also took out all the little cliche stuff that irritated the hell of me in the manga and mg.

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Oct 23rd, '05, 07:08

jaycee05 wrote: But when the camera shifted suddenly to show Shun napping on the Lab benches, and saved Tsukushi...I was totally mesmerized. That's when the frustration kicked in...man, I wish I understood Japanese :-( He sorta looked like he was saying some interesting things.
Haha that's one part that I understood. It was totally like Rui from the get-go, where he could care less about Tsukushi and Tsukasa's game. He basically said, in simplest terms, "Dammit, and I thought I had finally found a quiet spot." (since previously he had accussed Tsukushi of ruining his peaceful, private spot at the emergency exit)

I have to see more before I can pass officialy judgement. Altho I did watch it twice already... :whistling: Jun did get me tho with his acting in the end, when Tsukushi socked him one. Damm I was looking forward to that scene. His face was -perfect-. Best scene in the whole first ep, I think. I am looking forward to the next ep with Shun - he better play Rui right again!

I was highly impressed with Inoue Mao as Tsukushi. VERY impressed. And I did like the fact that her parents came off as more caring. They always were, but in the anime they tended to be annoying.

I'm glad that I am not the only one who felt there was a Harry Potter theme going on. Actually I thought the uniforms were screaming "HOGWARTS!" and then the music started up.. lol..

I am worried about Shizuka.. I have been ever since the casting was announced.. but owell. Let this version run its course and then do my criticism. I didn't realize they were going to combine Sakurako with another character! Now I am highly interested in watching Sakurako's charecter development.. *lol* In the anime she wasn't there until Doumyoji had been chasing after Tsukushi for a little while.

Personally I didn't like the opening. Not the best in my opinion. Only the part at the end where Doumyoji was pushing around Rui and stuff.. hehe that was so like his char.. make me laugh.. ^_^

Interesting that Tsukasa's mother was there in the first episode.. love her odd english.. :) I wonder if she's coming into play highly early in the series.... I can only sit and wait to see what this version has in store... but damm she sure was a **** already! ^_^ Makes you think that's where Tsukasa got it from! (rather than combined efforts)

All in all, I can't wait to see how far they take this! Highly anticipating next week friday!

Eria

Post by Eria » Oct 23rd, '05, 07:09

KimiWaPet2150 wrote:

You also have to consider this is a Drama, not some photo shoot that they photoshop the heck out of to make them look perfect. We all have flaws. ^__^
Well, like I said this is MY opinion and my expectations are different from everybody else. It's impossible for a manga-derived drama to be all perfect. Perfect? I don't even think that word exists logically. The way I look at it is, if it's derived from something and also named after it, I should feel some familiarity. That's I, not us.

I don't care about Jun's height. I don't care about his hair. Since I read the manga and watched the anime, I have my own personal expectations.

and above all, I don't expect anyone to respond to me, agree with me or go against me here. It's a freaking review for crying out loud. just read it and get over it!

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Oct 23rd, '05, 09:29

apples wrote:
jaycee05 wrote:.I'm falling in love with this girl (no malice). :salut: She's the closest match from manga to drama...as Tsukasa. I was mentally cheering for her when she punched Jun.

I love the girl playing Tsukushi! I'll probably like her more than the one in the manga/anime.

That obento scene was done really well. I too almost cried when I saw jun stepping on that lobster(or whatever it was) plus the flashback. that was just cruel.
*edit* I mean Tsukushi :doh: , for the life of me...why do I keep mixing up those two names

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Oct 23rd, '05, 10:26

Eria wrote:I don't care about Jun's height. I don't care about his hair. Since I read the manga and watched the anime, I have my own personal expectations.

and above all, I don't expect anyone to respond to me, agree with me or go against me here. It's a freaking review for crying out loud. just read it and get over it!
Sorry.. *lol*.. :mrgreen: I just have to agree with you.. :) It's barely come out and there's all these huge judgements... ^^;;

Just let the drama run its course. And remember in the back of your mind that altho this is Hana Yori Dango, its going to be different. IT WILL BE DIFFERENT. In the end it might be so different that its a completely new story. You know what? If it were the exact same story - only the die hard otakus would be watching it. Sorry to say, but that's not a huge chunk of the population. (Especially since Otakus aren't highly popular in Japan) You gotta keep the people interested! Even those who once read the story...if they know it all they'd get bored quick.. just think of it as more than a director's cut edition. I hope people bear this in mind, especially when things start drifting dramatically from the manga (which they inevitabaly will)... I look forward to the next episode!

moonlit

Post by moonlit » Oct 23rd, '05, 12:10

So for the ones who saw this and understood the Japanese, what did Tsukasa say to Tsukushi during the lobster scene that finally ticked her off?? I'm dying to know!! It was a wonderful scene though, the swelling music and the look of pure shock on Jun's face after Tsukushi hits him. And the smirk Rui gave her as she leaves the cafeteria... I wonder what he was smirking about???

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Oct 23rd, '05, 12:15

i would recommend you (moonlit) to read the manga version then you will understand more ...
anyway i don't think Rui should smirk as you called it ... in that scene .. as it's not in his character according to the manga !?

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Oct 23rd, '05, 12:16

i think i had sort of high expectations for this one as it's done by japaneses for a jap manga but somehow i feel the storyline has been sped up fairly quickly .. and also they changed some details. Changing some details are fine to keep the story or set up fresh as some users mentioned. Maybe it's jdrama, they have fewer eps ?! . .. so they needed to speed up the storyline alot.
Feeling sort of disappointed. I guess manga is still the very best. ^^
I think the actress for Makino T is good and of course i love jun. ^^ As for the rest, somehow they doesn't fit in with the characters so much.
The actors for Akira & Soujiro .. hmm ... no style ??! (sorry if I'm rude for those who like them)
And actor for Rui, somehow still lacking something .. and he smiled in that scene !?! I don't think the character of Rui smile that much or at least in such a scene ?!!
So overall, the actors in MG fits better.

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Oct 23rd, '05, 12:17

anyway, all these excitment for this new drama .. made me want to watch MG again ^^ and read HYD manga ^^!

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Oct 23rd, '05, 12:50

You can from now on , watch Hana Yori ONLINE !!! yaaa

http://nomanymore.blogspot.com/2005/06/ ... nline.html

I've uploaded the first Eps (MQ) on my own Host , Hope everyone can enjoy it :wub: :wub:

You can download HQ in my CB if you prefer http://clubbox.co.kr/Nomanymore
Last edited by Nomanymore on Oct 24th, '05, 19:31, edited 2 times in total.

moonlit

Post by moonlit » Oct 23rd, '05, 13:02

Yeah and I've read the manga from start to finish and I don't remember having a lobster scene. The first time Tsukushi hit Tsukasa was with her flying kick, I believe. And that was because Tsukasa sent some guys to give her a bit of a scare.

Sak

Post by Sak » Oct 23rd, '05, 13:27

moonlit wrote:So for the ones who saw this and understood the Japanese, what did Tsukasa say to Tsukushi during the lobster scene that finally ticked her off?? I'm dying to know!! It was a wonderful scene though, the swelling music and the look of pure shock on Jun's face after Tsukushi hits him. And the smirk Rui gave her as she leaves the cafeteria... I wonder what he was smirking about???
I grabbed the chinese sub version too, although I missed every other word trying to read it, and this is thru pause screen (my chinese reading skills is very limited) :unsure: ... so please don't all scream at once at my translating :roll

He was moody anyhow and was just making excuses to be lashing out so anyhow. what was said was something along the line that this is poor people food and he was just angry and threw it on the floor, then stamped all over it. Makino got angry because her parents can barely afford food, but made and included the lobster for her lunch. She then stood up and told him "just cause your rich and your have a family company to back you up, but you have no right, you have never earned money on your own in your life" ... she then punched him down and said "I will not back down anymore, I challenge you, if you have guts come and get me", then walked out of the cafetieria.

@ moonlit ... yeah this was adapted for the tv version, instead of the hallway kick in the headscene.

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Oct 23rd, '05, 13:29

that scene was supposed to be the staircase scene ..when she first stod up to him or F4 .. but i guess they changed it ... so don't expect it to be the same storylines as the manga i guess..

pifernac

about manga

Post by pifernac » Oct 23rd, '05, 14:11

hello...
someone tell me where I can get manga "Hana Yori Dango"?
Is there some place in the internet to read it online or download it, (of course, without broke links)?
you see... I saw this drama, and I liked a lot, but I haven´t read a manga... and I wnato to...

Please...

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 23rd, '05, 14:12

who is doing the english sub for HYD :( i cant wait to watch with the english subs >< as i dont understand japanese well :)

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Oct 23rd, '05, 14:41

Eria wrote:
KimiWaPet2150 wrote:

Well, like I said this is MY opinion and my expectations are different from everybody else. It's impossible for a manga-derived drama to be all perfect. Perfect? I don't even think that word exists logically. The way I look at it is, if it's derived from something and also named after it, I should feel some familiarity. That's I, not us.

I don't care about Jun's height. I don't care about his hair. Since I read the manga and watched the anime, I have my own personal expectations.

Oh, I didn't mean it in a negative way. I just threw in a point there. ^^'

zaq

Post by zaq » Oct 23rd, '05, 14:47

to make things clear, I'm a true blue MG fan, i love the group F4, and i also love the story of HYD... :D

for me the Jap live action is good, cinematography is great :thumleft: and i admit that the acting for Doumyoji's character is better than MG. But i still like MG better, basing it form episode one of both series, i like the lighter and funnier characteristic of MG, HYD is a little dark for my liking. But i yet to see the rest of the series, so maybe it'll become lighter. their opening clip is quite fun though... :-)

I agree to those who said that the episodes might be little bit compressed thinking that I'll be only be 9 episodes...i also wonder how will they do that... i just wish that they'll not cut the Nashikado/Yuki story or I'll be really disappointed...

i can't wait for the subs and the next episode... :D

Sak

Re: about manga

Post by Sak » Oct 23rd, '05, 15:12

pifernac wrote:hello...
someone tell me where I can get manga "Hana Yori Dango"?
Is there some place in the internet to read it online or download it, (of course, without broke links)?
you see... I saw this drama, and I liked a lot, but I haven´t read a manga... and I wnato to...

Please...

Grab it here