[Discussion] Saiyuuki

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
donna8157

[Discussion] Saiyuuki

Post by donna8157 » Jan 12th, '06, 09:07

What do you think of this series thus far? For those who have watched the Chinese Series, "Xi Yu Ji", how would you compare this series with that particular epic series? Does it stay true to the book?

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Jan 12th, '06, 09:21

Well I'm not sure I like this series or not yet, but I've only watched 1 episode so that's kinda normal.

Having said that, if you are a purist then you probably won't like it since it will deviate from the original book (it has to because it will be only 11 episodes or so long).

I feel like this series will be more campy and will try to incorporate humor as well as tokusatsu action scenes (ala power rangers) and sound bites on morals.

At this point, I'm wondering which episodes they are going to use to dramatize. It's a shame they started at this point since some of the best stories and battles are the ones between Monkey and the forces of Heaven (before Monkey becomes a pilgrim to journey west).

broken_string

Post by broken_string » Jan 12th, '06, 14:32

i grew up watching this series from the china one to the hong kong one.

for those who never watch b4 mayb u will enjoy it.
for me who have watch it for half a dozen time, plus manga and books.

it definetely not up to my expectation.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 12th, '06, 16:59

broken_string wrote:i grew up watching this series from the china one to the hong kong one.

for those who never watch b4 mayb u will enjoy it.
for me who have watch it for half a dozen time, plus manga and books.

it definetely not up to my expectation.
I agree, it's hard to be objective when you've read the stories as a kid, watched the movies, dramas, etc...

However, if you've watched the anime, I thought it had a similar feel to that ...

But I suspect that the first ep might be it's highest rated ep

broken_string

Post by broken_string » Jan 12th, '06, 17:19

haha... ya

somemore the costume XD
especially densha otoko's one Image
look more like a circus clown Image

and "3 zhang" why use a woman Image
the basic feel of it adi gone

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Jan 12th, '06, 17:23

Maybe they're basing this drama on the 70's Japanese version of Monkey Magic and not the ones from the books, manga or other Chinese versions of the same drama.

Check this site out: Monkey Heaven

broken_string

Post by broken_string » Jan 12th, '06, 18:06

yt_toshi wrote:Maybe they're basing this drama on the 70's Japanese version of Monkey Magic and not the ones from the books, manga or other Chinese versions of the same drama.

Check this site out: Monkey Heaven

lolx the monkey magic itself is based on the chinese version :D
anyway still looking forward to the next epi
hope it can do better :lol

tinlunlau

Post by tinlunlau » Jan 12th, '06, 18:11

hopefully it picks up at the 2nd episode. possibly showing the hornier side of Chohokkai.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Jan 12th, '06, 19:17

wah this drama is based on Saiyuuki? ah only 11 eps again... so i guess they ll hav to cut many stuff :( i also watched the original chinese series... guess it's still the best...

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Jan 13th, '06, 05:39

Most Japanese versions of Saiyuuki portray Sanzo as female rather than male even though historically the character and person was male. It's a bit jarring to fans who have read the book or watched dramatizations or series from other countries. While I think Sanzo should be male, it's actually a bit more interesting having Sanzo as a female character (as long as they keep the light romance between Sanzo and Gokuu away but that's probably not going to happen).

The first episode of this was pretty good, very humorous and decent tokusatasu style action. The acting is very good and the costumes are not too bad. They're not entirely authentic enough but it's just enough to give each of the characters the right feeling.

Jeshka

Post by Jeshka » Jan 13th, '06, 05:50

I'm not familiar with the storyline at all, but I did enjoy the Shingo/Kimutaku bench-clearing brawl. The feathers! The makeup! The enthusiastic overacting! The first five minutes of the program were a great time. And then I changed the channel.

Wolfsbane68

Post by Wolfsbane68 » Jan 13th, '06, 12:21

Shouta wrote:Most Japanese versions of Saiyuuki portray Sanzo as female rather than male even though historically the character and person was male..
Definitely not the most recent anime and manga, Sanzou ores his way all through the 50+25+25 episodes and 9+5plus tanks.
The first episode of this was pretty good, very humorous and decent tokusatasu style action. The acting is very good and the costumes are not too bad. They're not entirely authentic enough but it's just enough to give each of the characters the right feeling.
I dunno about the acting, Sanzou and Gokuu were pretty decent. As for the fights, I guess I am too spoiled by Minekura's Saiyuki, so they felt below par to me. But don't start me on the costumes :lol All those feathers in the first one made it look like something out of a CLAMP series (only without the dismembering, decapitating, running ppl through and all the other nice stuff :D ).

bluabc
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bluabc » Jan 13th, '06, 15:55

Just viewed epi 1. Gosh it's so so AWFUL!!! Wasn't really looking forward to this anyway but cos of the high ratings diecided to just check out epi 1. Really a waste of time and bandwidth!

What the hell were the producers thinking?? Terrible scripwriting & storyplanning, all those sudden to and forth flashbacks were so abrupt!!! Let me guess, they were too broke to hire a decent scriptwriter cos all their budget went to getting SMAP on the drama and overindulging in lousy CGI. Acting wise, things are still tolerable since the premise of ther drama requires somewhat over the top and exaggerated acting anyway.

Well, in contrast to last season where we had a lot of good offerings and i ended up watching almost everything available. At least i've firmly struck one drama off my viewing list this new season lol!

tinlunlau

Post by tinlunlau » Jan 13th, '06, 16:41

the CGI, i can tolerate. in fact, from what they have shown so far, the CGI looks miles ahead of the crap CGI that TVB would ever conjure up with. the Kintoun gliding scene looks much cooler in the J-drama version than what TVB did back in mid 90's

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Jan 14th, '06, 00:04

as crappy as the CG in the episode... it's still much better than the one in TVB.... =.=
and the CG really didn't come out much yet..
they finish making the first episode the night before it was air....

I'll have to agree that the story sux... and they changed a lot...
But at least it seems new..
If i have to watch the EXACT SAME STORY, then why not just watch the one 10 years ago?

Just watching the actors are worth it already, the casting are really good
haha, Eri is so cute in the drama, but looks so weird when she take off the hat....

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Jan 14th, '06, 04:48

Just saw the first ep. I thought it was alright. I can't stop laughing at the appearance of Takuya...the lipstick and the costume :lol But after that, it was hard to get into. It's been a decade since I've seen my last tokusatsu except of course, this takes place on a more ancient setting as compared to the typical power rangers...Maybe if I was younger, I would have been more enchanted with the wolrd of magic and superheroes it presents. I haven't watch Monkey King, so I have nothing to compare it to.
But I was surprised about the link between Dragonball Z's Son Goku and the son Goku in here. The Kimton cloud, the monkey origin, and the stick...I'm guessing then that DBZ is partly based on the book. Cool :-)

tinlunlau

Post by tinlunlau » Jan 14th, '06, 11:21

jaycee05 wrote:Just saw the first ep. I thought it was alright. I can't stop laughing at the appearance of Takuya...the lipstick and the costume :lol But after that, it was hard to get into. It's been a decade since I've seen my last tokusatsu except of course, this takes place on a more ancient setting as compared to the typical power rangers...Maybe if I was younger, I would have been more enchanted with the wolrd of magic and superheroes it presents. I haven't watch Monkey King, so I have nothing to compare it to.
But I was surprised about the link between Dragonball Z's Son Goku and the son Goku in here. The Kimton cloud, the monkey origin, and the stick...I'm guessing then that DBZ is partly based on the book. Cool :-)
it took you this long to realize that? Akira Toriyama is a big fan of Chinese fables and Jackie Chan (he said it himself in a recent Shonen Jump magazine interview). in fact, the "Jackie Chun" character is obviously based off Jackie Chan's Drunken Master films.

another cute reference is in the dragon ball comics, Akira Toriyama drew a really cute portrait of little Son Goku (dragonball) standing and staring right next to the Saiyuki Son Goku.

tinlunlau

Post by tinlunlau » Jan 19th, '06, 19:34

lol! just finished watching episode 2.
the piggy got deceived by Chun Li. hahaha!

rocoro

Post by rocoro » Jan 21st, '06, 05:45

ummm
definately not what was I expecting O_o;;
i tried really hard not to be biased but i just kept thinking "that's not how it happened!! what happened to that scene? omg, gokuu would NEVER be so idiotic! the customes are so bulky"
and i just thought it was funny that when gokuu returned to his cave all by his lonesome, with no hoard of monkeys to worship him he looked pretty pathetic, haha XD

i have just read the book so many times.........................
though I'm boggled at the insane high rating O_O

i admit i thought the ending credits were pretty.

huh!

Post by huh! » Jan 21st, '06, 08:01

I am going to give up on this series. Son Goku seems so angry all the time. It seems like he has to yell everytime he wants to say something. It got really annoying after a while.

tinlunlau

Post by tinlunlau » Jan 22nd, '06, 16:25

and dont' forget the pig is so "shy" in this show. the Chohakkai i've grown up watching was always the horny bastard. Sha Gohyo was usually not the horny one, he was more like the stupid one but in this show, he's the one witht he plans and schemes.

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jan 22nd, '06, 16:46

anyone have screencaps of the episode?
there seems to be some mixed reviews in this thread....perhaps, because most of you grew up watching
the original chinese versions?

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Jan 24th, '06, 09:31

jaycee05 wrote:But I was surprised about the link between Dragonball Z's Son Goku and the son Goku in here. The Kimton cloud, the monkey origin, and the stick...I'm guessing then that DBZ is partly based on the book. Cool :-)
Dragon Ball based its characters from the Saiyuuki story... Gokuu was Gokuu, Bulma was like a Sanzo... Oolong was like Cho Hakkai...then it deviated heavily as Toriyama went along... old news... DB's over a decade old.

As for the drama series... holy ___, it's crap. I mean it's so cheesy... it feels like it was meant for kids. Seems like something I'd see on PBS. Nevertheless, as for now, I find myself watching it. But I have no probs deleting this one. Save my hd space for awesome series in 2006 that don't disappoint like Ns Aoi, Rondo, and 2nd House (hahahah this series is sooo funny! Just don't watch it while you're in the office at work.)

edit: my criticism for the series is not anything to take away from the ppl that are working on it to and uploading the series though! 8th Sin's done on awesome job on the subtitling work. But dang this series is corny. Ppl that still watch cartoons/anime, sentai series (basically kids) may dig this though.

sesshu.kotoyumu

Post by sesshu.kotoyumu » Jan 29th, '06, 02:35

<Slackers>
At first when I read about this, I was ignorant (sounding like some of the posters on here) I know about the story line, I saw who was playing it...but when I watched the first episode...I was quite amazed. Yes, it does deviate away from the orgins...yet, come on you can't dog this series down, its awesome. I would definetly not stray away from picking this up, even if your not a kid. All ages will enjoy this show, no doubt about it. People who dog this show have little to no imagination, and twiddle there thumbs when they watch it imo.

vtx

Post by vtx » Jan 31st, '06, 07:28

If they just replace/remove those generic looking power-ranger ninja token bad guys who fight for their demon bosses. ya maybe ill like the drama more. :P

whisper
Fansubber
Fansubber

Saiyuuki

Post by whisper » Jan 31st, '06, 07:44

I was disappointed but I guess I'm too influenced by the chinese series i saw long time ago....the characters just didn't fit my expectations...

But i have to say I'm really impressed by the ratings, looks like SMAP is still on top of their game! It was worth watching the first episode to see Kimura Takuya and Shingo go rounds.
:blink

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Feb 2nd, '06, 09:01

i shoulda known better than to download this, specifically cause i'm just not into over the top costumes or acting... i really wonder if stories of this type can even be done more tastefully...
i think i'll watch the anime instead, at least the characters won't look so retarded... XD

whoever enjoys this, more power to you, but it's just not my cup of tea... :D

Wolfsbane68

Post by Wolfsbane68 » Feb 3rd, '06, 08:36

ironicwave wrote:i shoulda known better than to download this, specifically cause i'm just not into over the top costumes or acting... i really wonder if stories of this type can even be done more tastefully...
i think i'll watch the anime instead, at least the characters won't look so retarded... XD

whoever enjoys this, more power to you, but it's just not my cup of tea... :D
I'd second that. BTW, Saiyuki Reload Gunlock 10 is finally out by AnimeKraze :-) Now, *that's* real drama AFAIC.

theloststarling

Post by theloststarling » Feb 6th, '06, 13:45

wow... this whole thread makes me soo sad. My family and I watch it every Monday because it's really funny and cute. I haven't seen the Chinese version or the 70s Japanese version nor have I seen more than 10 episodes of the anime version ( i didn't care for it.. sorry). For the high ratings it still holds, I guess there has to be some fans of the series... right?

flcia

Post by flcia » Feb 7th, '06, 09:25

wait a sec...
takuya is in this?? i thought its only shingo who's playin the saiyuuki?
r the other SMAP members in the series as well?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 10th, '06, 22:07

Hmmm... I just noticed this thread was languishing... Come on, there have to be more fans of the screwball side of Japanese TV out there? This show is totally on crack in every way! I watched a few eps of the old Chinese version - and where the old one is as faithful to the original stories as it can be given the small number of episodes, Saiyuuki just picks up the ball and runs clear off the field with it! And kids love it.

deadd

Post by deadd » Mar 12th, '06, 01:01

pokute wrote:Hmmm... I just noticed this thread was languishing... Come on, there have to be more fans of the screwball side of Japanese TV out there? This show is totally on crack in every way! I watched a few eps of the old Chinese version - and where the old one is as faithful to the original stories as it can be given the small number of episodes, Saiyuuki just picks up the ball and runs clear off the field with it! And kids love it.
I am one of those fans. :P

I know this series is pretty much blasphemy to hardcore saiyuuki fans, but you guys have to know this story has been done many times in Japan as well, as many editions of the book printed, so the story itself won't sell to many viewers. I feel they had to do something to attract people to watch, and although they (all the people who worked on creating the series) screwed a lot of things up, as a big fan of comedy, this saiyuuki is still entertaining to me.

One thing that got me hooked is the bgm...anyone willing to share the original soundtrack on d-addicts?

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Mar 24th, '06, 04:33

It turns out, Sanzou Houshi still a man in the dorama, even though it's always performed by an actress in Japan.
Episode 10 wrote:Rinrin: "and the only woman in the group, I was there"
Should've translated 'He' :doh:

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 24th, '06, 04:58

@deadd - The OST is on the minglong tracker.

@8thSin - I think that in this show it hardly matters... if she threw off her cassock and turned out to be HG it would not be too much further out in left field than a lot of other stuff in this show.

hepcat05

Post by hepcat05 » Mar 24th, '06, 22:43

I just watched the first episode last night.

Short review: WTF was that?

Longer Review: Saiyuuki reminded me of a bizarre TV show I saw when I was visiting China a couple years ago. That show also featured people cheesily dressed up as monkeys and pigs, special effects straight out of Land of the Lost, and some decently choreographed fight scenes. I asked my girlfriend at the time what on earth it all meant, but she didn’t speak enough English to really explain it. However, after watching the first episode and reading a little more about Saiyuuki, I’m guessing that Chinese show was just an earlier version of it.

OK, so the special effects were better than Land of the Lost. But, I really could have done without all the flatulence jokes. Seriously, there were moments when I thought I was watching Revenge of the Nerds instead of an ancient Chinese/Japanese legend.

As for the actors, Katori Shingo (Son Gokuu) wildly overacted, but I suspect that’s part of the point of this role. Mizukawa Asami (Rin Rin) was definitely easy on the eyes. I liked Itoh Atsushi too, but I hope he gets to do more in subsequent episodes. Actually, I’ve only downloaded the first two, and if I don’t like the second one better, I don’t think I’ll finish this drama. The main reason I downloaded it is because I wanted to see Atsushi in another role. Hopefully, he’ll be in another drama later this year.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 25th, '06, 00:55

Then you will miss the Oppai Matsuri. Too bad for you.

sorvani

Post by sorvani » Mar 6th, '07, 02:13

cdjapan.co.jp wrote: Saiyuuki (Journey to the West) II DVD Box I
Japanese TV Series
Release: 2007/01/24 | DVD
Anyone seen this 1979 version? I can not find anything in English about it.

Reivilo

Post by Reivilo » Sep 24th, '07, 15:50

Could anyone seed this drama pleaaaaaase ??? There seems to be a bunch of us who try to get it... :cry: