Need help to identify a Jdrama? Ask here!

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
kocoman

English name of 蟹后 japan drama (before

Post by kocoman » Aug 12th, '10, 06:26

English name of 蟹后 japan drama (before year 2000)

does anyone know?

skepy

Post by skepy » Aug 23rd, '10, 00:19

does VOICE has it second season??????cause at the end of the last eps "stay tuned for the next season drama" was written......??

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Aug 23rd, '10, 08:07

skepy wrote:does VOICE has it second season??????cause at the end of the last eps "stay tuned for the next season drama" was written......??
Dramawiki says that it doesn´t have a second season. :-(
But thanks - now I found another jdorama to watch :D

xulescu

Post by xulescu » Aug 25th, '10, 14:24

i got this question i need to ask. for those who watched j-dorama hana kimi.

they say the girl disguised herself as a guy to enter that school, but hell, you can tell from a mile away her face is CLEARLY that of a girl. somehow there's an inconsistency here in regard to the plot. anyone can tell she's a girl, "disguised" or not. even her voice doesnt even remotely resemble that of a guy's.
i think the crew should've come up with a better make up or something to make it look more real.
anyone noticed this too or is it just me? i honestly dont think i'm wrong writing this. aside from this, is a good show.

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Aug 27th, '10, 18:56

xulescu wrote:i got this question i need to ask. for those who watched j-dorama hana kimi.

they say the girl disguised herself as a guy to enter that school, but hell, you can tell from a mile away her face is CLEARLY that of a girl. somehow there's an inconsistency here in regard to the plot. anyone can tell she's a girl, "disguised" or not. even her voice doesnt even remotely resemble that of a guy's.
i think the crew should've come up with a better make up or something to make it look more real.
anyone noticed this too or is it just me? i honestly dont think i'm wrong writing this. aside from this, is a good show.
Well there are some Japanese guys who really really look like girls XD Some of them are even more beautiful and cuter than girls that´s why it isn´t so weird.

Marylander

Re: "Samurai Doctor" TV Show from the 1970's

Post by Marylander » Sep 4th, '10, 19:22

Buster451 wrote:When I was stationed in Hawaii in the late 70's I used to watch a subtitled Japanese TV show with the translated name of "Samurai Doctor". It was about a Samurai who was also a doctor and, as you might expect, went around the countryside helping the poor and avenging wrongs. I would like to get more information on this series and see if it is available anywhere.
I was also stationed in Hawaii in the late 70s, and watched Samurai Doctor too!

Here's info on it for you:
http://kikutvcom.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~1924.asp
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Yaburegasa_Toshu_Akunin-gari

Alegi

Post by Alegi » Sep 5th, '10, 20:05

Hello!

Im looking for two dramas.

The first one is about a guy, Im not sure what's wrong with him, but he got some kind of handicap, and he works at a bakery.

Waiting for his mother to come and get him. Later in the story, he does something in hospital/University that make's him better and more normal.

But this will change, sooner he will be back to his normal his.

Name of this serie would be nice!

The second one is about a resturant, a man comes back, he's been working all over the world, mostly in europe, and he's going to help this resturant back to its feet.

The chef is a girl, who lacks the will to work.

The man is hard, but very good with the stuff he does.

I belive this serie is old, and its not "My little chef".

Plz! Name of this serie would also be nice.

Thanks!

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Sep 5th, '10, 20:57

mousehunt

Gegege no Nyobo

Post by mousehunt » Sep 7th, '10, 18:54

Hi,

May I know whwew can I download "Gegege no Nyobo"? I have search though the Internet but could not find any.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_86655.htm

Thanks.

ryoko11

Re: Gegege no Nyobo

Post by ryoko11 » Sep 7th, '10, 21:09

mousehunt wrote:Hi,

May I know whwew can I download "Gegege no Nyobo"? I have search though the Internet but could not find any.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_86655.htm

Thanks.
Right Here at D-addicts :-) :
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... +all&sort=

xulescu

Post by xulescu » Sep 9th, '10, 18:30

hello again.

can anyone who watched watashitachi no kyokasho please tell me the the name of the song that plays in episode 3 (15 minutes into the episode )in the library where the girl is wondering if the lawyer would let her play the piano ? it's a short fragment of that song but it's fast paced. it's not on the soundtrack :(( and a link to where i can get it ?

thanks !

Demon Eyes

Name This Drama

Post by Demon Eyes » Sep 12th, '10, 13:00

Hi, :D

Does anyone know the name of this drama? I only have caps!!1 :cry:

Please help!!! :-(
Attachments
100910-2215070131.jpg
100910-2215070131.jpg (225.46 KiB) Viewed 6377 times
100910-2231330703.jpg
100910-2231330703.jpg (136.42 KiB) Viewed 6377 times
100910-2247090767.jpg
100910-2247090767.jpg (200.83 KiB) Viewed 6378 times
100910-2240070347.jpg
100910-2240070347.jpg (133.49 KiB) Viewed 6377 times

Vanyoru

Visual Kei related Dramas?

Post by Vanyoru » Sep 26th, '10, 04:15

Hey!

there are so many Dramas out there, so im questioning if there is any J-Rock or better Visual Kei themed ones,
storys about music and alternative lifestyle and so on..

sorry for spammin the forums!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 26th, '10, 22:23

IDK bout drama but there are quite a few rock-themed movies (don't know any vk though)
If you're interested in movies ,too try Iden and Tity, Detroit Metal City, Nana, Gumi Chocolate Pine, The Shonen Merikensack, Rockers, Linda Linda Linda, Bandage, Fish Story, Solanin
If you like punk, watch Burst City and Wild Zero
For an all-out assault on your senses: Electric Dragon 80,0000V :lol :lol

Vanyoru

Post by Vanyoru » Sep 27th, '10, 01:09

thank you!

The Shonen Merikensack and Iden and tity looks good, Nana I already knew :D
anyone else knows about dramas?

happii_makkusu

searching for a drama i saw on tv in japan in august 2010

Post by happii_makkusu » Sep 27th, '10, 12:29

hi! i'm searching for a drama on tv in japan in august 2010. i think it was aired around 8 or 9 pm. the problem is, that i dont know the name and also the station that aired it. i just saw a part of it for one time, but it looked very interesting. the only thing i know about it, is what i saw this one time...
it was about a boy and a girl.. she ran away from home because she had a fight with her father (they also argued on the telephone). then there were (i think it were three) guys following her to a lighthouse at the sea, trying to rape her or something.. of course the boy safed her...
unfortunately that is all i can remember (i think i was also a bit drunk) and now i want to know the name of it... does anybody know the drama?
i would be very greatful if someone could help me finding out which drama it was!
thank you in advance!
greetings max

ps: i really enjoyed gegege no nyoubou and mioka (missed a few mioka-episodes though and watched the whole drama back in europe) while staying in japan.. ;)

Mitsubachiii

Post by Mitsubachiii » Sep 27th, '10, 13:14

Hm~, I'm sorry, I don't really know the drama but also want to find a drama from August 2010, so I hope it's okay to add my serach-request here:

I'm looking for

...a drama, where a boy and a girl get together and are all lovely on a bus and taking pictures and whatever. I remember that there were some problems with her family. Her mother hired a detective to find out where the father is. The father had an affair with the mother of her boyfriend and I remember that she got so so so SO angry at him, when she talked to him about that problem. But instead of saying something comforting he got angry hat HER and was saying some mean things, I guess. Well, that's the part of the show I watched. I hope someone can help with finding the title. <3 And who knows, maybe it's the same drama that happii_makkusu is looking for XD

happii_makkusu

Post by happii_makkusu » Sep 27th, '10, 13:24

hi! i dont know if it is the same, but when i read your post somehow i had the feeling i also saw this some day! it was great too! want to know how the story progressed! i dont know i hope someone can help us! :cheers:

Jayme8me

Post by Jayme8me » Sep 27th, '10, 13:55

Umm I don't know if it will help, but mydramalist.info has a TV timetable for August.

You could check and see if anything sounds like your drama:)

happii_makkusu

Post by happii_makkusu » Sep 27th, '10, 14:07

hi! thank you for you advice! i took a look at all of them (from the link you postet and also those in the summer 2010 list on drama wiki), but i cant find out whichone it was.. maybe it it is some of them, but i cant figure it out because all i know are these (maybe) 20 minutes i saw.. i also dont remember what the characters looked like.. its really hard to tell.. but thank you for your help!

Mitsubachiii

Post by Mitsubachiii » Sep 27th, '10, 14:47

Yeah, I also already checked Dramawiki and mydramalist. But I didn't find the series I was looking for. As far as I remember it was one of the series that was only 30 minutes per episode. But they played more than one episode per day (or it was only repeat? idk D: ).

gerryg

Post by gerryg » Sep 27th, '10, 14:49

Mitsubachiii wrote:Hm~, I'm sorry, I don't really know the drama but also want to find a drama from August 2010, so I hope it's okay to add my serach-request here:

I'm looking for

...a drama, where a boy and a girl get together and are all lovely on a bus and taking pictures and whatever. I remember that there were some problems with her family. Her mother hired a detective to find out where the father is. The father had an affair with the mother of her boyfriend and I remember that she got so so so SO angry at him, when she talked to him about that problem. But instead of saying something comforting he got angry hat HER and was saying some mean things, I guess. Well, that's the part of the show I watched. I hope someone can help with finding the title. <3 And who knows, maybe it's the same drama that happii_makkusu is looking for XD
I think this may be "Dosokai " But I believe it was the girl's mother and the boy's father having the affair.

sarabjeet

Need Advice!! please Identify This Drama

Post by sarabjeet » Sep 28th, '10, 05:53

HI guys
I was watching TV asahi today and saw this Dorama. i checked the schedule for the TV Asahi it said "ワイド!スクランブル " Waido! sukuranburu unless i read it wrong

Can someone help me identify this Dorama as i am lousy in reading japanese. listining is so so.
Attachments
Help
Help
J-dorama.jpg (202.72 KiB) Viewed 6424 times

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Sep 28th, '10, 07:06

happii_makkusu

Post by happii_makkusu » Sep 28th, '10, 10:21

hi! yeah, i think what mitsubachiii is looking for could really be dosokai! somehow i got the feeling i have seen the characters before.. :)
but what about the rapestory i posted about? doesnt have anyone any idea?
thank you!

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Sep 28th, '10, 20:21

The actress in the screen shot is Hinagata Akiko. I am absolutely sure of that.

I could be wrong but it doesn't seem that she is on that show, Wide Scramble... but what do I know. It looks like a panel discussion show, not a drama.

sarabjeet

Post by sarabjeet » Sep 30th, '10, 16:26

Thanks for the Replies. i'll try to watch it again same time i'll let you guys know thanks

svengoolie

Post by svengoolie » Sep 30th, '10, 17:21

Hey so are there any shows that come close to the greatness of IWGP? I first watched it probably 2 years ago and nothing else can even compare. I'd love suggestions on another badass non-girly show.

Moodilic

Post by Moodilic » Oct 6th, '10, 16:54

Does anyone know what's the name of this drama?
It is japanese and airs on some chinese channel. I'm guessing it is somewhat old.

It looks like there are some accidents and murders in the beginning or something like it.
Attachments
j-drama on chinese channel.jpg
j-drama on chinese channel.jpg (232.35 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 6th, '10, 17:16

@Moodilic

I haven't seen it, but it definitely stars Yonekuro Ryoko. By comparing screenshots, it looks like that's probably Koori no Hana. It's an SP from 2008. The shot at 19:17 seems to match another from the download thread perfectly.

TimelesSub's release:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_66370.htm

DramaWiki:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Koori_no_Hana

ETA: I downloaded it from TimelesSub's ddl, and it is definitely Koori no Hana. Looks interesting, so I'll be giving it a watch. :-)
Last edited by ryoko11 on Oct 6th, '10, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Oct 6th, '10, 17:18

Moodilic Do you have some file name?

Moodilic

Post by Moodilic » Oct 7th, '10, 00:38

ryoko11 wrote:@Moodilic

I haven't seen it, but it definitely stars Yonekuro Ryoko. By comparing screenshots, it looks like that's probably Koori no Hana. It's an SP from 2008. The shot at 19:17 seems to match another from the download thread perfectly.

TimelesSub's release:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_66370.htm

DramaWiki:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Koori_no_Hana

ETA: I downloaded it from TimelesSub's ddl, and it is definitely Koori no Hana. Looks interesting, so I'll be giving it a watch. :-)
Keiko1981 wrote:Moodilic Do you have some file name?
I was named Flower.Ice.EP01 but I couldn't find anything on the wiki. Now I know.

It was recently released in 1080i so this seem to be part 1 although the time seem a bit short when comparing to the 396p one here on d-a which is 1h 54m and the one I have is 1h 05m including CM's.

I don't know, for all I know the broadcaster could've cut out portions of part 1 (on the assumption that this will be a two-parter). I'll just have to wait and see.

I don't know if I can upload it here (encoded of course) because they've written "this is only for ---, don't upload it anywhere else".
However, I don't even know if that means the transport stream or every variation of it like down converting it.

If someone wants it I could do it anyway (probably, maybe etc). :P

Niaoson

Japanese Subtitles?

Post by Niaoson » Oct 14th, '10, 18:02

Hi Guys,

Is there any way I can get Japanese subtitles for the newest JDramas that are being broadcasted? I searched and many sites pointed to jdrama.cc but it seems to have been closed down :-(

Would greatly appreciate if someone could offer some directions. Thanks! :D

bloggingpig

Post by bloggingpig » Oct 15th, '10, 06:36

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_86716.htm

Using Caption2Ass_mod1, you can pull the subtitle text embedded in the RAW TS video stream of Japanese TV broadcasts to create Japanese subtitles.

Niaoson

Post by Niaoson » Oct 15th, '10, 07:33

Thanks for the link!! :D

However, could you please elaborate on how I can get the RAW TS video stream of Japanese TV broadcasts?

Thanks! :lol

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Oct 15th, '10, 07:57

a lot of new drama series' japanese subtitles are available at the subtitles forum right here @d-addicts! :D

Issy

What Jdrama are you currently watching?

Post by Issy » Oct 18th, '10, 13:14

made a similar thread in kdrama section and i think we need one in jdrama section too. i have been more into kdramas lately so i am kind of stranger in this and last season's jdramas. it's great to know which ones are being watched lately.

again, if you find another similar thread (i checked the index and i could not see any) or waste of time and space for this thread, please let me know and i delete it instantly. :salut:

taylor

Post by taylor » Oct 18th, '10, 13:47

None. Still waiting for Yamapi and Kame's dramas.

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Oct 18th, '10, 13:51

watching Natsu no Koi wa no Nijiro kagayaku :wub:

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Oct 18th, '10, 14:07

The Chaos wrote:watching Natsu no Koi wa no Nijiro kagayaku :wub:
Me too and also loving Anego.

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Oct 18th, '10, 18:24

I still haven't decided what I will follow this season but you can see my choices in my signature hehe :P

H a n a

Post by H a n a » Oct 18th, '10, 23:18

Natsu no koi nijiro ni kagayaku :wub: :wub:

Asarin

Post by Asarin » Dec 14th, '10, 06:30

Does anyone know where I can possibly download or view the original/translated version of Zeni Geba? :3

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Dec 19th, '10, 15:18

here on d-addicts? have you made a research? it was subbed by Querbeet, alavaible here and on their community @ livejournal.

Juan M.

Japanese soap, drama or series with hundreds of episodes?

Post by Juan M. » Dec 20th, '10, 17:53

Hello.

This seems like a wonderful forum for everything relating to Japan so I'd like to ask you, what are some Japanese series or soaps with hundreds of episodes that I can download in bulk?

I'm learning Japanese, and I'd like to expose myself to as much authentic speech as possible. I tried this approach with German and Russian with great results. At first I didn't understand much, but after some dozen episodes it all starts to fall into place. I'm now at episode 186 of my German soap and I understand about 80% of what is being said. It's not that I learned German simply by watching this, but that it contributes greatly to cement what I learn in my textbooks, not to mention the spoken dimension, for which it does wonders.

Now I'd like to do the same with Japanese, but all I have been able to find are 10 or 12-episode series. What are some long-running dramas, soaps or series that I can relatively easily download all at once? I'd prefer series with natural, spontaneous, unforced, not idiosyncratic speech to begin with.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions! :-)

Oretachi

Post by Oretachi » Dec 23rd, '10, 13:36

Will you be uploading Gokusen 2 in DVD Rip? with no subbtitle?:wub:
I want to be Gokusen 2 in HD

Please send me a Mail :wub:

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Dec 24th, '10, 03:53

You're best bet are the daily NHK morning dramas (asdorama). There are typically ~156 eps per series, but each episode is only 15 min long.
D-addicts has several of these available via torrent, but with varying seed and subtitle availability (mostly because of the length).
One thing to be aware of though is that many of these dramas are located outside of the Tokyo metropolitan area and make use of the local regional dialects. I'm not saying you won't learn anything because most regions in Japan do use local dialects (which may sound absolutely NOTHING like standard Japanese), and NHK never goes "all out" enough for the people to be completely incomprehensible...

Chuurasan is available completely subbed and most characters are from Tokyo (so they speak standard Japanese).
Tsubasa is available mostly subbed. Region is Saitama Prefecture, just nshimanorth of Tokyo, so no weird dialects or accents here.
Gegege no Nyoubou looks like it is currently being subbed, however, the main characters are from somewhere in Western Japan and do sport an accent (Izumo?) when they speak.

Many other series have been uploaded in the past, but I think these 3 are the only ones which have been subbed.

Juan M.

Post by Juan M. » Dec 24th, '10, 18:47

Thanks for your reply! While subtitles would be great, I can do without them. Subtitles or CC in Japanese would be fabulous though. What you mention regarding regional dialects though would be an obstacle at this point - I need it to be standard Japanese.

What would be a good way to download Chuurasan?

Thanks again!

jyojyoushi

Seeking a Jdrama

Post by jyojyoushi » Dec 29th, '10, 23:25

I know it may not be the place to post it, but I haven't seen any other category that will fit.
I've been looking for Jdrama that I started to watch years ago, and never got finished.
All I remember that it was about a music teacher that falls in love with a gangster. I think there was the word "flower" in the name of the series or the theme song was something with flowers.
Ring a bell to anyone?

Arigatou!!! m(_ _)m

Tai

Post by Tai » Dec 30th, '10, 05:36

Between 1995 and 2002 Watanabe Ken had not went international, He had a series called Gokenin Zankuro, Killer Gokenin. Anyway, I always had good access to doramas until I moved to Phoenix. So I am hoping that this will ring someone's bell. Before Zankuro becomes like Onihei hankacho, another forgotten masterpiece of Nippon TV, fading in a vault never to see the light of day and put smiles on our faces.

runpup

Re: Seeking a Jdrama

Post by runpup » Dec 30th, '10, 16:53

jyojyoushi wrote:I know it may not be the place to post it, but I haven't seen any other category that will fit.
I've been looking for Jdrama that I started to watch years ago, and never got finished.
All I remember that it was about a music teacher that falls in love with a gangster. I think there was the word "flower" in the name of the series or the theme song was something with flowers.
Ring a bell to anyone?

Arigatou!!! m(_ _)m
http://jdorama.com/drama.54.htm

frad

J-doramas with Zainichi

Post by frad » Dec 30th, '10, 17:19

Hello,
Does anyone of you know about a terebi dorama with zainichi (permanent ethnic Korean residents of Japan)?
I am planning to give a presentation on intercultural encounters in terebi doramas and need some reference material.

Thanks

jyojyoushi

Post by jyojyoushi » Dec 30th, '10, 20:24

Thank you runpup!! I was looking for this show for like, forever!!

Domou Arigatou! m(_ _)m

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jan 1st, '11, 02:33

There aren't too many Japanese TV dramas specifically addressing zainichi that I am aware of. If I remember correctly, there are a couple supporting characters in Rondo who are zainichi (the Matsudairas), but nothing else comes to mind immediately. However, there are a couple Japanese/Korean joint ventures in which characters of Korean descent/ancestry living in Japan are depicted. Tree of Heaven (2006) and Tokyo Showers (2008). I haven't seen either, but I don't think any of the characters are post-colonial era zainichi, but more recent immigrants. Also, since the writers for both shows are Korean, I'm not sure if that helps with your presentation.

There is something hanging in the back of my mind about a high school girl who was alone in the immigration line after a class trip overseas, but I can't remember if that was a TV drama or an interview with Sonim on growing up Korean in Japan. :scratch:

For movies, there is always Pacchigi! and it's sequel which specifically revolve around the zainichi experience in the 60's-70's. Also, one of the main characters in the movie Go! is zainichi.

If you're interested in general intercultural encounters (not just specifically related to zainichi), there are a bunch of other TV dramas you could look at. Most recently is Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo, which features an international cast of resident aliens in a Japanese language class. Smile features a half-Philipino main character. Otherwise, there are several TV drama specials morning dramas which have characters of foreign descent living in Japan...

sweetanna

Post by sweetanna » Jan 1st, '11, 03:18

The only drama I can think of is Tokyo Wankei.
Nakama Yukie plays the main character who is a 3rd generation Korean in Japan.
It plays into the story if I recall.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tokyo_Wankei

It's available here at DA.

Kathleen

Dramas or Movies about 9/11, terrorism or Islam?

Post by Kathleen » Jan 11th, '11, 19:11

Hello everyone,
I'm currently writing a paper about the effects of 9/11 on the Japanese society and therefore looking for j-dramas and movies about 9/11, terrorism or Islam.
I'd also appreciate tipps about novels, manga / anime, poems or songs.

bugs_3v

Re: Dramas or Movies about 9/11, terrorism or Islam?

Post by bugs_3v » Jan 12th, '11, 05:47

Kathleen wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm currently writing a paper about the effects of 9/11 on the Japanese society and therefore looking for j-dramas and movies about 9/11, terrorism or Islam.
what do you mean by terrorism or islam?does terrorism means islam for you?just askin coz im a muslim and thats not what islam means to us...not all muslims are war freak.....peace maam....if anything you want to know bout our religion im free to help you....

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 12th, '11, 07:32

I think it's not quite clear what you're looking for - is it anything with a terrorist theme that came out after 9/11 or is it especially about 9/11 related terror acts and islamic radical fundamentalists? And I think the poster before is right to point out that "terrorism or Islam" makes it look as if these words were synonyms and I think you should try to avoid such generalisations.

The only 9/11 related one I can think of is Gaiji Keisatsu about an elite anti-terror force established thereafter.

There's also the movie Eleven Minutes, Nine Seconds, One Image: September 11 that showes different perspectives on 9/11 from different countries and there's also a Japanese section.

I would guess terror is more often seen as an inner thread against the Japanese system or carried out by lunatics (like the gas attacks on the metro in the mid 90s) and maybe not much danger is perceived from religious extremists but rather from radical groups in neighboring countries...but I have to admit I haven't read anything scientific about this topic =)

I can think of only 3 more drama:
Bloody Monday deals with hackers and nuclear thread
ROMES is about an airport security system
SP deals with some terrorists

Movies, I guess there are many. Right now I can only remember Prisoner/terrorist about a man who attempted a suicide attack and 'A', a docu about the Sarin metro attack.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Jan 12th, '11, 11:55

bugs_3v wrote:
what do you mean by terrorism or islam?does terrorism means islam for you?just askin coz im a muslim and thats not what islam means to us...not all muslims are war freak.....peace maam....if anything you want to know bout our religion im free to help you....
I should have known there is always someone who gives me bs like that. I really don't feel like defending myself for something I didn't say so I'm asking you to read my message once more but this time more carefully, please. Like it or not, the world has changed their view on the Islam, and I would like to find out if there are significant changes in Japan as well - wheather the Islamic culture is seen in a positive of negative way I yet have to find out. However, I am not here to judge, all I want to see is if Japan does. :wink:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Jan 12th, '11, 12:07

arakira wrote: I think it's not quite clear what you're looking for - is it anything with a terrorist theme that came out after 9/11 or is it especially about 9/11 related terror acts and islamic radical fundamentalists? And I think the poster before is right to point out that "terrorism or Islam" makes it look as if these words were synonyms and I think you should try to avoid such generalisations.

The only 9/11 related one I can think of is Gaiji Keisatsu about an elite anti-terror force established thereafter.

There's also the movie Eleven Minutes, Nine Seconds, One Image: September 11 that showes different perspectives on 9/11 from different countries and there's also a Japanese section.

I would guess terror is more often seen as an inner thread against the Japanese system or carried out by lunatics (like the gas attacks on the metro in the mid 90s) and maybe not much danger is perceived from religious extremists but rather from radical groups in neighboring countries...but I have to admit I haven't read anything scientific about this topic =)

I can think of only 3 more drama:
Bloody Monday deals with hackers and nuclear thread
ROMES is about an airport security system
SP deals with some terrorists

Movies, I guess there are many. Right now I can only remember Prisoner/terrorist about a man who attempted a suicide attack and 'A', a docu about the Sarin metro attack.
To answer your question: It's anything. Seeing them deal with 9/11 specifically would be nice but I'm trying to figure out how Japaneses deal with issues like terror and war in general after 9/11. In America and Europe, after 9/11 a lot of movies came out as well as books have been published that deal with fear of war, terrorism, religious minority groups and such. I'm curious if there are such strong effects on Japan as well.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your tips!  They seem very promising. I hope I can use them all. :thumleft:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 12th, '11, 18:42

Kathleen wrote: To answer your question: It's anything. Seeing them deal with 9/11 specifically would be nice but I'm trying to figure out how Japaneses deal with issues like terror and war in general after 9/11. In America and Europe, after 9/11 a lot of movies came out as well as books have been published that deal with fear of war, terrorism, religious minority groups and such. I'm curious if there are such strong effects on Japan as well.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your tips!  They seem very promising. I hope I can use them all. :thumleft:
Sounds like a very interesting but pretty broad topic. Especially since the attack in 1995 there was much attention on terror and other difuse threads even before 9/11.
Good luck for your research. I'll let you know if I come across anything else that might be of help. If you don't mind, would you pm me with that paper or maybe a summary? I'd love to see your findings :salut:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Jan 12th, '11, 19:48

arakira wrote:If you don't mind, would you pm me with that paper or maybe a summary? I'd love to see your findings :salut:
Well, the paper's gonna be in German but writing you a summary is the least I can do to thank you for your help. :-) I don't think I will be done before next month though.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 12th, '11, 20:30

LOL!! I'm German, too. Take your time and ganbatte ne! Falls du einen Korrekturleser brauchst, jederzeit^^

Ah and I remembered, there was a rather weird film, Peep TV I think, which was about a group of young people (with serious mental problem if you ask me) who took the news coverage on the 9/11 attacks like a film - or a reality TV show... story's hard to explain but I think this one could be pretty useful, too.

antspace

Post by antspace » Jan 12th, '11, 23:10

@ Kathleen.

Damn, I'm so annoyed.

Yes I get that you're a German intellectual. But to serve a polite muslim, that tries to relativate your question for your paper, by saying moderate muslims are not the same as the radical, read terrorist muslims, as an idiot that spouts bs, is terribly arrogant and thus impolite.

If you're so interested in Japanese culture, then you should know that politeness is one of the cornerstones of this particular culture, as it is for any high culture.

:x

rocketcat

Post by rocketcat » Jan 13th, '11, 05:15

Hey there! I got a quick questions.

I fell out of jdrama awhile back (like...years back) and now have rediscovered it. Thing is I never finished Hana Kimi. I know, tragic. I think I only had a few eps left?

I tried to locate a episode guide but seem to be having trouble finding one. I just find episode title lists.

So here is the last thing I remember from Hana Kimi:
I remember a talent show of sorts and some one dressing up as a Char from Gundam I think. Or maybe the last thing was the beach. I'm not sure.
Thanks!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Jan 13th, '11, 12:45

antspace wrote: If you're so interested in Japanese culture, then you should know that politeness is one of the cornerstones of this particular culture, as it is for any high culture.
Now who's being arrogant? I know, revealing I'm German is always risky because even after more than 60 years the whole world still considers us as Nazis and whatnot. I'm half Asian, my mother is a Muslim and being a Japanese studies major I've studied, worked and lived in Japan for almost 2 years. Thanks for your message though. If you really think I'm here to become Japanese you got something utterly wrong.

@arakira: Oh, that's a surprise. lol
Thanks for your offer! It's gonna be a fairly small project so I don't think I'm gonna need someone to proof-read but it's good to know I have someone just in case. :)

TofuQueen

Post by TofuQueen » Jan 14th, '11, 08:36

Well, one j-dorama that has terrorists but nothing to do with 9/11 or Muslims (yet, anyway - just watched ep. 7) is Karei Naru Spy.

It's got a lot of silliness & slapstick humor, but other parts are pretty dark/serious, and they're fighting terrorists in every episode.

Looks to me like it has more to do with Japan's struggle with becoming more militarized or not, than anything directly 9/11 related. But, I can see a connection in that 9/11 may provide a those who want Japan to become more militarized with a justification for why they think it's necessary
in this case by (possibly - not clear who's lying at this point) manufacturing artificial terrorist threats, which are always thwarted, but with 9/11 in the back of everyone's minds, are likely to be taken seriously.

svengoolie

No more J Drama?

Post by svengoolie » Jan 15th, '11, 23:19

Has Japanese drama completely lost its popularity? I've been looking all over the web trying to find NEW subtitled stuff, and all I manage to find is Korean. Even this site either has the raw episodes or people are just uploading stuff from decades past. What's the deal? I just don't really have interest in watching Korean shows but it seems like I'm gonna have to get into them if I want to watch any new drama.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 16th, '11, 10:53

svengoolie - strange, I saw subs for quite a few newer jdrama . . . and what's the deal? Well maybe that subbing is hell of a lot of work and tbh . . . kdrama are much better than Japanese recently. Maybe yo should give them a try while waiting for whatever jdrama you're craving subs for :P

chaseincats

anyone seen the yakuza black panter drama?

Post by chaseincats » Jan 17th, '11, 02:53

the japanese name is Kurohyou Ryu ga Gotoku Shinshou

been really curious about this, anyone have any thoughts about it?

-chaseincats

P.S. first post!

lollercopter

Where do D-A uploaders get their Japanese dramas from?

Post by lollercopter » Jan 24th, '11, 13:17

I assume some (or many?) of the uploaders here record the dramas on their own, but where do the rest come from? If I wanted to download something that aired a few days ago but isn't yet on D-A, where would I go? Anyone have an idea?

RB

Post by RB » Jan 24th, '11, 13:41

Japanese P2P, like Share, PD, etc. Check around for instructions about how to use those.

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » Jan 24th, '11, 15:48

I was worried that would be the answer... Japanese P2P programs are a crime against humanity. But I'll look into them. Thanks.

kingfisher13

What are some good eng sub jdramas with happy endings?

Post by kingfisher13 » Jan 28th, '11, 00:51

Hello,
I have been searching the internet for a source of good Japanese romance movies. I found a few on some sites, but I was horrified to find that they all had sad endings- either one of the two lovers died, or something like that. Being a hopeless romantic, I can't stand for that. Does anyone know of any good Japanese romance movies with happy endings, that are English subbed? I especially enjoy the high school drama ones, and the ones with the girl as the main character- any ideas for me?

Dusty Bottoms

Re: What are some good eng sub jdramas with happy endings?

Post by Dusty Bottoms » Jan 30th, '11, 23:48

kingfisher13 wrote:Hello,
I have been searching the internet for a source of good Japanese romance movies. I found a few on some sites, but I was horrified to find that they all had sad endings- either one of the two lovers died, or something like that. Being a hopeless romantic, I can't stand for that. Does anyone know of any good Japanese romance movies with happy endings, that are English subbed? I especially enjoy the high school drama ones, and the ones with the girl as the main character- any ideas for me?
It might just be me, but I've found that Japanese movies tend to be darker / edgier than their tv series (or maybe these are just the movies that get imported here), so for what you are looking for, you'll have more luck with TV than movies.

Densha Otoko, aka Train Man (the movie or tv series) would probably be a good choice, though the male character is the lead.