Only if you have time (2)
8%
STAY AWAY (1)
4%

Total votes: 25

TIticamara

[Discussion] Over Time

Post by TIticamara » Jun 27th, '06, 01:04

What do you think guys/gals? I just finished the 1st episode and I am already liking this drama. I am beginning to appreciate Kitagawa Eriko as the screen writer. The same person who brought us wonderful stories like Long Vacation, Orange Days and Beautiful Life, concordant this drama will be as good or better.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jul 2nd, '06, 11:32

I'm surprised to see so little activity in this thread...

This is probably the best drama I've seen in quite some time.

I'm not sure if I have a soft spot for dramas from the 90's or just for dramas by Kitagawa Eriko. I think it's latter since I realized she's the screenwriter for atleast 3 of my all time favourite dramas... :-)
I'll make sure to watch all her dramas that I've missed.

And the music is just great... I'm crazy about the insert song: Yamaguchi Yuko - Believe.

You can get it here if you're interested: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_5207.htm

I've been looking for a DVD set of this series but it seems it's only available on VHS... :-(

Thanks again to awrittensin for making this drama available... :-)

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Jul 2nd, '06, 20:51

I watched Over Time when I was in Japan, and I liked it a lot. One of my favorite dramas, because it has a good plot and amazing actors. The opening and ending songs are great, and even now, I listen to them.
That´s why I recommend to anyone to watch Over Time! A great drama!!!

Skykim

Post by Skykim » Jul 2nd, '06, 21:09

I only started watching it yesterday since I had to finish Double Kitchen first. So far I've seen the first two episodes and really liked them a lot. I'll be finished later this week and will cast my vote as well as post here again, but at this point I'd say it's definitely worth watching.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Jul 6th, '06, 00:30

Warning: Ending spoiler below! Don't read if you haven't finished the series yet!

:crazy:

I really liked the chemistry between the two main characters, but I was really disappointed with the ending - I felt like they didn't get a chance to feel out their relationship enough before they decided they wouldn't be together. I could understand and agree with the ending if there was some reason for it, but it wasn't like they didn't love each other. I think it was clear they both loved each other, and if they would have been able to explore their feelings for each other more, I think they could have both been sure of it. But once again, there was some cop-out ending where a main character suddenly had to leave Japan which forced the issue. I'm really really getting sick of a main character a) getting transferred abroad or to a different part of Japan or b) leaving Japan for some other reason, because it doesn't let the flow of the drama happen naturally.

Oh well.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jul 8th, '06, 21:37

ENDING SPOILER AHEAD...

I wasn't happy about the ending either... I expected it to end differently up to the last minute... :-(

When they were talking a the top of the building after Fuyumi's wedding, I got the strong impression that they loved each other.

Then Soichirou told her to marry Tsuhiko because he thought that would make her happy.

This part I don't get - Why would she be happier with him than with Soichirou?

I agree that they had good chemistry (really good actually) and that makes the ending even harder to accept...

But this is still one of the best dramas I've seen... :-)

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Jul 9th, '06, 14:11

didn't saw this one yet but exept "one millions stars...", everything I saw from Kitagawa Eriko was great.
I'm not sure if I have a soft spot for dramas from the 90's or just for dramas by Kitagawa Eriko. I think it's latter since I realized she's the screenwriter for atleast 3 of my all time favourite dramas...
same! :P

Skykim

Post by Skykim » Jul 9th, '06, 14:57

I finished watching it two days ago and had to let it sink in a bit. If you've seen Long Vacation and Orange Days, you'll be right at home with the style of writing. Very natural and character driven - you never really feel like you're watching a predetermined plot unfold (ok you do maybe a little bit) and just get sucked in by the playfulness of the character's relationships - trademark Kitagawa Eriko, as far as I can tell (except for One Million Stars, but that was a thriller and therefore more plot driven by nature).

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD

I just think that of the three women, the character of Haruko was a bit underdeveloped - except for the fact that she was Soichiro's sister, she didn't really have anything relevant to do throughout the episodes and certainly didn't grow like the other characters. She felt almost like a device to get the whole "living together" thing started, and was then left off to react to what was happening around her. That's what you call a thankless part - in the end she's the character you remember the least - even the girl in the hospital left more of an impression. Soichiro and Nat-chan on the other hand were just perfect and the Fuyumi subplot was totally sweet and totally rewarding. As for the ending, I actually thought it was perfect. Did I wish Soichiro and Natsuki would end up together? You bet, and I kept my hopes up until the end, but actually the whole seeing-a-person-off-you-love thing and the dedication of the photo-book was set up too well to pass up and it made for a great post credit image to finish on. Also, this was a follow up to Long Vacation and ending the other way around would've made it a bit too similar. I can totally see why Kitagawa preferred to explore another outcome as a writer.

WARNING SPOILERS ABOVE

Great Drama. I did like Long Vacation and Orange Days a bit more though, both dramas that I would call Life-Altering. This one? See it. Definitely.

SnWa

Post by SnWa » Jul 10th, '06, 04:06

I must say that I share Skykim's sentiments regarding the ending and the comparison with Long Vacation. It was an opportunity for Kitagawa to explore an alternate outcome. And those final shots were just too perfect to pass up.

I also rated this one a "See it" rather than "Life-Altering" though. Both Overtime and Long Vacation are really fun to watch. But being "Life-Altering" is relative to ones circumstances and experiences; Long Vacation just happened to resonant more with me.

arvinaty

Post by arvinaty » Jul 10th, '06, 23:17

funny, i've wanted to watch this drama for quite some time now, but i didnt find any torrents. where did you guys get it from? i mean, did you buy DVD or did you upload the whole drama?

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jul 10th, '06, 23:48

awrittensin uploaded it a few weeks ago...
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... +all&sort=

zindaka

Post by zindaka » Aug 31st, '06, 23:02

------------Spoiler included-------------

wow, i jsut finished this drama. and i have to say the ending was a big surprise to me as to everyone else. I watched to the ending clinging on the very last minute thinking the two would go back together. The story was following the same plot as love genration, orange days, and long vacation up to the very end. I too, was disappointed, but i liked the photo book at the end. thanks for uploading this great drama.

木人&

Post by 木人& » Sep 4th, '06, 04:14

when i came heere i was thinking about asking you guys for the name of the song in this drama. but now i don't have to!!

i watch this serie cos sorimachi. while watching i discover fimilair faces (natsuki from GTO)
i like this serie, it's good teary good

******** and ******* seem like a great couple. it was so sad tho

tresarai

Post by tresarai » Sep 4th, '06, 04:59

Overtime's ending made me destroy one of my mom's cushion. I was biting it so hard at the end that it just.......tore.

zindaka

Post by zindaka » Sep 4th, '06, 05:14

tresarai wrote:Overtime's ending made me destroy one of my mom's cushion. I was biting it so hard at the end that it just.......tore.
haha, i know how you feel..
@木人& was natsuki in GTO? what character was she

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Sep 12th, '06, 21:27

I was disapointed by the end too. I felt that getting the 2 caracters closer and closer during all the drama just to separate them at the end was cheating. I understand the will of the writer to make an unexpected ending but in that case it should have been more explicit in the reasons and it needed more developpement. Here everything is left without answers.

Stille Kitagawa 's characters are very touching.

GrimDark

Post by GrimDark » Jan 13th, '13, 21:47

Just watched the last episode of this and feel like kicking my foot through the monitor, running outside and screaming WHY WHY WHY

Seriously, what was the bloody point of 12 eps of a leadup we all wanted just for it to be dashed away?

I've never felt so angry and cheated at any series EVER!!!!!!

screw the overtime writer/s!

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jan 13th, '13, 22:59

I must be the only one who liked the ending :P

Don't get me wrong, I loved the chemistry Soichiro and Natsuki shared, but it didn't feel like she had a particularly overwhelming love for him. They were great together, as friends and maybe lovers if either of them had given it a chance, and I love their bantering scenes.

But half the time I felt she was turning to him only when she had problems with Kuga - this was most evident when she sought solace with Soichiro after Kuga left for the US. Soichiro fell hard for Natsuki but she was always kind of in-between - she did harbour a long-time crush on Kuga before they met again, sparking the relationship (if I remember right). When she asked Soichiro if he loved her, he didn't hesitate, but she couldn't give a straight answer - this too was telling. Also, I think Natsuki had started imagining a future with Kuga until his posting to the US, so her heart was never fully with Soichiro. No doubt she had feelings for him and they were almost like soulmates, but I always felt she liked Kuga just that bit more, enough to want to set up a family with him.

And I freely admit to preferring Shiina Kippei with Esumi Makiko (in this drama, that is), so I'm happy to see them end up together.