[Discussion] 14 Sai no Haha / 14-year-old Mother

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
mikomi

[Discussion] 14 Sai no Haha / 14-year-old Mother

Post by mikomi » Oct 13th, '06, 05:33

I figured I'd create a topic for this drama after finished watching part of the debut episode.

14 Sai no Haha

Synopsis
Shida Mirai, the young actress of Jyoou no Kyoushitsu fame, plays an average high school student who becomes pregnant with her lover’s child. The drama will show her gradually maturing as the circumstances around her change.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/14_Sai_no_Haha

I was impressed with what I'd seen so far. The first ep was very good in introducing the characters and the story. Shida Mirai in the role of the 14 yr old girl is very charming. She sure has matured a lot in her acting since Queen's classroom, no more awkward gesturing and silly laughs; in this drama, she carries the show very well. Since I watched this without the English subtitles, I was only able to grasp part of the story so far, but the actings from all the other actors are convincing and solid. It was a very good first epi, I'm sure that I will tune in again for the next ep. I just hope this won't turn out to be too melodramatic later on. Imo, this drama has the potential to be 'the' show of the Fall season. The dramas this season are good :).

Ooh, I just thought that the scenes between Mirai and that boy were very sweet. Okie, everyone, discuss away!!

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Oct 13th, '06, 11:02

I've just finished the first episode and I must admit that I just love it, even though the story is quite simple.
If the Drama keeps its level than it definitely has the chance to be the best drama of the fall season.
I also think that Shida Mirai did a very good job in this episode!

By the way, just ask if you want me to write a summary of this episode!
Since the japanese was pretty simple, I was able to get everthing.

shinhaku

Post by shinhaku » Oct 13th, '06, 14:04

that boy better helps her take care of the child, seems like she hasnt told him yet, the preview shows that she'll tell him in ep 2

skachild

Post by skachild » Oct 13th, '06, 14:16

what...!!!! pregnant at age 14...!!?? :blink :blink
must watch this drama.... even the girl in US top rating series "gilmore girls" was pregnat at the age 16... but this one is 14... wow... :O :O :O
and the rating is quit good.... 19.7% for ep-1 :cheers:

Kaji-shonen

Post by Kaji-shonen » Oct 13th, '06, 17:26

Shida Mirai is a good actress. but it's still too young to play this role......childish

Halko

Post by Halko » Oct 14th, '06, 20:17

I think she plays this part very well. How else would you expect a 14-year-old to behave? They're still not very mature (even teenagers older than that aren't so mature.. i should know. :roll )

Some parts were very moving; such as after she discovers she is in fact pregnant. ;_; And the 2nd episode looks even better~ I can't wait! Somehow I feel Satoshi is going to do stupid things since he's kinda messed up rofl.

and it works since looking at her and Satoshi together you kinda go :blink

mhaellix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mhaellix » Oct 16th, '06, 03:32

I loved the 1st episode. I was pretty intent on claiming that I'm not taking any dramas this season, but it was so tempting.. In the end, I couldn't resist.

I love Shida, (although I must admit, when I first saw her in Detective academy I didn't exactly like her)

I also love the way they made her look more mature with her hair. She was cute 2 months before, and then she became quite pretty (gloomy though)

The second episode looks intense, especially the scene with the father. (When my dad found out that my sister was pregnant, he was pretty calm, he cried, but he didn't yell. (my sister is 20 though so I guess that makes a bit of a difference))

TG3

Post by TG3 » Oct 16th, '06, 08:50

I absolutely love this drama already. Shida Mirai did an excellent job. The ending was really powerful. It was very sad. I can't wait to see what happens next.

supastar85

Post by supastar85 » Oct 16th, '06, 18:05

Hi, do anyone know where i can get the themesong "Shirushi" by Mr.Children please?

Takekaze

Post by Takekaze » Oct 16th, '06, 18:33

Kaji-shonen wrote:Shida Mirai is a good actress. but it's still too young to play this role......childish
Shida's 13, the character's 14, not much difference if you ask me. Both ages are still kids. 14 year olds don't really behave much different than 13 year olds.

I still think Shida and Fukuda are the two hottest irons coming up in the future. Give them both a few more years and they'll be unstoppable.

I really liked her performance. Especially when she stole the pregnancy test and then stood there in her bathroom staring at the test result, while her brother was close to run the door in. I'm curious how it'll go on, also with that new girl in her class and the mother of the guy who knocked her up (haven't seen a father there, so there may be similarities between those two characters).

HolEdg

Post by HolEdg » Oct 17th, '06, 05:06

Hey everybody, Can someone please tell me where I can see this show on a clubbox?? This is one of the new Japanese drams that I am so looking forward to seeing. Please I don't like torrents. I like going to clubbox.. Please help me to know where I can see this show and please tell me who's subbing this show?? PLEASE I BEG YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW I CAN SEE THIS SHOW... PLEASE PLEASE :-)

spinozza

Post by spinozza » Oct 17th, '06, 06:40

I watched first episode, and thought it was pretty good but...

One moment they are just holding hands....now she is pregnant? lol I mean. Isn't that a bit of a jump? She showed no tendency whatsoever to be that type of girl who would just have sex with some guy...I just could not buy it at all. The acting as good but the plot left something to be desired for me. It just isn't believable from the way they shot the first episode.

Sarki

Post by Sarki » Oct 17th, '06, 13:29

Oh, it's awesome. I really loved it. I didn't like that Yanagisawa girl at all and felt like there was no need to have her there, but apart from that, it's absolutely lovely. I can't wait for more episodes to show up.

The scene when they're about to do it and when she sees the grown Jimi are really nice...The music background really gets you in...

:wub:

satanxgod

Post by satanxgod » Oct 17th, '06, 13:51

spinozza wrote:I watched first episode, and thought it was pretty good but...

One moment they are just holding hands....now she is pregnant? lol I mean. Isn't that a bit of a jump? She showed no tendency whatsoever to be that type of girl who would just have sex with some guy...I just could not buy it at all. The acting as good but the plot left something to be desired for me. It just isn't believable from the way they shot the first episode.
uh huh, agree that the story does go a bit fast~
but i think they did make that scene on purpose, avoid going into too much detail. The audience can understand is okey :roll

greenjade05

Post by greenjade05 » Oct 17th, '06, 16:32

Takekaze wrote:
Kaji-shonen wrote:Shida Mirai is a good actress. but it's still too young to play this role......childish
Shida's 13, the character's 14, not much difference if you ask me. Both ages are still kids. 14 year olds don't really behave much different than 13 year olds.
I am with you on that one! I think that's a very good thing that they'd choose the main actress to be near the character's age. So there's a 1 year difference. That's good enough!

Well from the preview, we know how Miki's family will react, but I'm looking foward to the baby's father reaction, as well as the reaction of his mother.

I think the jump was good, as I'd most likely feel uncomfortable if they went any further in that particular scene.

I wonder how Miki and the boy knew each other to begin with, but it's irrelevant, isn't it?

I can't wait for ep.2!!!

cees

Post by cees » Oct 17th, '06, 16:57

i just finished the 1st episode and i love it.....cant wait 2 see the next episode....i love the 2 main characters of this drama (Miki and Kirino Satoshi
) they looks good together......the last scene was good i felt sad 4 her...iam expecting that the father of the baby(Kirino Satoshi
) wouldn't accept the baby or Miki wont have the gut 2 tell him

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Oct 17th, '06, 17:34

I just finished watching the 1 episode & it was really good and I liked Miki's acting. I felt sad when she was crying at the end while watching the grown dog. the preview of the next episode seems good & I think if Miki's will tell Satoshi about her pregnancy, he will not accept it :glare:

hope that the storyline of the next episodes will be as good as episode one & thanks to mhaellix for subing this drama ^^

acidkung

Post by acidkung » Oct 17th, '06, 19:50

i've watched it and it's a good episode

by the way, i was happened to read manga of the same name years ago. wonder if it's an adaptation of that manga?

Sarki

Post by Sarki » Oct 17th, '06, 20:58

Well, it could be, but I hadn't heard of it. Though I don't think it can't get as touching as this.

I mean, I've watched only the last part so many times... :wub:

Personally, I think (and I hope) that it can become this year's hit. Not only the season, but the whole year's... :unsure: :P

Mihara

Post by Mihara » Oct 18th, '06, 01:01

Sarki wrote:Well, it could be, but I hadn't heard of it. Though I don't think it can't get as touching as this.

Personally, I think (and I hope) that it can become this year's hit. Not only the season, but the whole year's... :unsure: :P
Ditto.

This year there haven't been that many good JDrama, but this at least looks like it's going to be a lot better than anything this year.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Oct 18th, '06, 09:04

I watched the 1st ep again, and I like how it starts off all pretty and idyllic, complete with cute dogs, blue skies, and kids sitting in a tree house under the moonlight...

and then reality hits hard!

:w00t:

The 2nd half is a complete 180, filled with angst, anxiety, and ultimately sadness. The last scene is just heartbreaking. :cry:

After the watching the Ep 1s of most of the stuff this season, this is clearly the best one.

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Oct 18th, '06, 15:03

The last scene indeed was very sad, esp. with the way Miki went "okasan, help me". It then hit me that Miki was only just 14 years old, too young to hold such a huge responsibility. The preview for next episode looked really intense.

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Oct 18th, '06, 22:19

Mihara wrote:
Sarki wrote:Well, it could be, but I hadn't heard of it. Though I don't think it can't get as touching as this.

Ditto.

This year there haven't been that many good JDrama, but this at least looks like it's going to be a lot better than anything this year.
I agree. This year´s dramas weren´t as good as they could be. And I insist until the middle of the drama to verify if it´s really worth or not. And most of them, I gave up watching.

But 14 no Haha was a very good surprise. I probably wouldn´t have watched it if the main character wasn´t Shida Mirai. I loved her in Joou no Kyoushitsu, and I think she has a promissing carrer.

The last scene of ep 01 was a heart-breaking. Shida Mirai was perfect, crying so naturally and in a desperate way. I could feel her pain. I´m pretty sure this is gonna be a great drama!

japysia

Post by japysia » Oct 19th, '06, 01:29

Rating :- 19.7%,16.8%

Mihara

Post by Mihara » Oct 19th, '06, 05:50

Shidai Mirai is really good at what she does, I hope that she continues to have success after this series. Has anyone watched episode two yet? I just finished downloading it myself.

This series has a more "close to home" feeling for me because it reminds me of a friend who had a baby at 15.

greenjade05

Post by greenjade05 » Oct 19th, '06, 16:44

I watched ep. 2 last night and nearly cried in pity.

Wonder what's with the magazine guy and Satoshi's mother? I wonder what he'll do if he finds out that her son and Miki have conceived a child (I don't think this is the wording I wanted to use, but I'll just leave it for now).

Does anyone else think that Miki and Yanagizawa will have another confrontation?

Perhaps Yanagizawa might be the first student to know that Miki is pregnant?

It's really getting even more tense and ep. 3 looks so thrilling!!

mhaellix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mhaellix » Oct 19th, '06, 23:24

greenjade05 wrote:I watched ep. 2 last night and nearly cried in pity.

Wonder what's with the magazine guy and Satoshi's mother? I wonder what he'll do if he finds out that her son and Miki have conceived a child (I don't think this is the wording I wanted to use, but I'll just leave it for now).

Does anyone else think that Miki and Yanagizawa will have another confrontation?

Perhaps Yanagizawa might be the first student to know that Miki is pregnant?

It's really getting even more tense and ep. 3 looks so thrilling!!
I bet it'll be his topic for his magazine article or something.

Miki and Mayuna will definitely have another confrontation, they'll probably be the one who will understand each other in the end or something like that.

Ah, I can't wait to see ep 3, I think Satoshi will accept the child, but his mother will definitely not take it.

Regarding ep 2, wow, the father did a great job, his acting was so awesome! Especially when he was trying to convince himself!

I think this is definitely the best this season, but since there's no JE boys here, there's more people downloading Tatta hitotsu, ah, it's such a waste for them if they miss this show.

But despite how awesome that was , there was a drop in ratings for ep 2.. :(

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Oct 19th, '06, 23:54

the 2nd episode was soo sad. i was moved by the performance of Miki, her mother and father. the confrontation scene of Miki and her dad was very realistic

Halko

Post by Halko » Oct 20th, '06, 00:10

Ohh, the 2nd episode was so great. I especially love the scene with Miki & her mother coming back from the doctor. I crieddd. ;____; I love this drama so very much.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Oct 20th, '06, 05:34

greenjade05 wrote:I think the jump was good, as I'd most likely feel uncomfortable if they went any further in that particular scene.

I wonder how Miki and the boy knew each other to begin with, but it's irrelevant, isn't it?

I can't wait for ep.2!!!
i agree. when that scene started i sat there and thought, "oh please don't go into detail" -__-;;
she's just too young to do that on camera. Shida Mirai is an amazing actress!! I can't believe how good she is at how young she is.

miki and the boy met at cram school. ^__^

i'm so excited for the 2nd episode. i'm downloading it right now! this series (if it stays this good) is going to tear me up this season. it's good. in a very depressing way T_____T

TG3

Post by TG3 » Oct 20th, '06, 12:54

Ep 2 was another great one. Everyone's reaction was pretty realistic. You could feel the tension, rage, and sadness all at once when she tells her parents she's pregnant. The dad's reaction was special, and the mom's was so sad.
I kind of saw the slap coming, though. It's almost expected, same with the dad "blowing up." I think "daughter getting pregant at early age" is probably high on every dad's "worst nightmare" list.
I don't think the "harsh realty" has really kicked in for Miki yet. I think she still clings on to some unrealistic romantic notions. It looks like next episode is where she starts to realize that this will be the hardest thing she's ever faced in her life.

And about the next episode(s)
Does anyone else here feel the chance of her aborting the kid is 0.00000000000%? I mean, look at the name of the drama - 14 year old mother! Still, for the sake of reality, I applaud them on using that angle, as I'm sure a lot of kids (and their parents) would encourage that route. Speaking of which, is it just me, or am I the only one who thinks Yanigasawa (the girl Miki fought with) had an abortion? After all, in the first ep, they said she "got pregnant" not that she had a kid.) Finally, let me be the first to throw down a boy/girl prediction for Miki's baby - girl. Why? This drama seems to emphasize the mother-daughter relationship. Indeed, Miki's mom arguably has the 2nd biggest role in the story. As a result, to "complete the cycle," I think Miki will have a girl when it's all over.

EMTQueen

Post by EMTQueen » Oct 22nd, '06, 01:45

I just finished watching the first ep about ten minutes ago. It looks really good so far.

Is it just me or does anybody not feel sorry for Miki? I just don't have it in me to feel sorry for teen moms. I mean, I don't know about Japan's sex ed, but by 14, you should know that if Tab A goes into Slot B and there's no reinforcements to back it up, you may very well make a baby.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Oct 22nd, '06, 15:02

While she may know that, most 14 year olds (at least from my observation) are of the mindset, "it won't happen to me." I do feel sorry for her, but of course she brought it upon herself and is now paying for her actions. Her parents' reactions sort of mirror my own - "this is so horrible, i'm so sorry... but you're an idiot for letting this happen to you!"

greenjade05

Post by greenjade05 » Oct 22nd, '06, 17:34

I agree with everyone about the parents reactions. That's very realistic and it makes perfect sense. Then Miki's reaction back in the dining room to her father is realistic as well.
I felt that slap by her mothing coming.
Now the "storm" is beginning...

It's understandable to not pity her. Part of me feels that way too. "You brought it upon yourself," would be the right way to put the situation. The other part of me is thinking not to completely blame her as Satoshi has fault in this too, not just Miki. He could have stopped their actions too.

choco_panda

Post by choco_panda » Oct 23rd, '06, 06:51

I have only watched EP1 and I think this is going to be one, if not the best drama of this season, well or even the year.

Shida is totally amezing. Try to think back at myself when I was her age, I could not possibly imagine, how she can pull such an act. This drama, is very touching, and the acting is really really great! I have a peak at ep2, and Im really looking forward to the sub so that I can understand the whole thing. But, from what ive seen, the reaction of everyone are just great. Its nice how they have a drama with such a good acting.

Well, for yanagisawa girl, or whatever her name is, I'm pretty sure, she is needed! I think her role will develpe a lot more as the serie progress. I think they will ended up become close. Even not in a friendly way, but I think she will be the one who understand Miki's feeling the most.

Haha, only one thing that put me off, is like that already been mention, Miki really dosent look like the girl who will jump into such a thing that quick. I mean, hello! First time at the treehouse! Anyway, I understand, they dont want to focus much on that but more on how she will deal with the whole thing.

I never known anyone who is a teenager mother, so this is really interesting to me. I really wonder how the seire going to progress!

acidkung

Post by acidkung » Oct 23rd, '06, 10:23

TG3 wrote:And about the next episode(s)
Finally, let me be the first to throw down a boy/girl prediction for Miki's baby - girl. Why? This drama seems to emphasize the mother-daughter relationship. Indeed, Miki's mom arguably has the 2nd biggest role in the story. As a result, to "complete the cycle," I think Miki will have a girl when it's all over.
about Miki's baby.
yeah, definitely a girl. you can see, in the beginning of the second episode, how they put the connections between scenes, Miki open the door then mom close it, Miki's pushed ao something fall then her mom drop something too. Well you can say that just a transition they used but on a symbolic side, there's a meaning into it. So i'm pretty sure 'mother-daughter' relation won't stop here. Miki definitely having a girl baby. And maybe ... her father will leave them soon coz he can't live with the fact that his duaghter is having a baby.
Just finish the second episode and this drama is very good so far. We'll have to wait until ep. 5 or 6 to see if it really a great drama. But for now it's better than most of other dramas this season.

hope the third episode's rating will go up :lol

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Oct 23rd, '06, 13:06

Although I have barely scratched the surface of this seasons dramas as of yet (havent really had the time), I must admit 14 sai no haha is currently my favourite. Only episode 2 and the emotional content is full on! No messing around in this series... my rating is: Awesome.

Also the target audience is young enough that I can actually understand. Not like watching cop shows, damn I can never understand the japanese in those.

Baka_kun

Post by Baka_kun » Oct 23rd, '06, 16:40

Omg i just finished watching episode 2 with subs
And i have to say it was worth dling the raw and wait for the sub patiently
So many times i wanted to watch it without subs ..so tempting
but i didn't want to spoil all the intense emotional scene for myself lol
I love this drama and shira mirai is just a wonderful actress indeed
She was alrite in sapuri wasn't really interested in her but i heard she's good in
Jyoou no Kyoushitsu...so im gonna watch that soon

nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nadesico » Oct 23rd, '06, 20:23

I was really enthusiast watching 1st ep,but now I watched the second one, i 'm now sure that this series is going to best the best of this season
The father's reaction was simply awesome:incredulity, anger, rage....seeing his face passing through the 3 stages really amazed me.all the actors are s imply splendid, and I really look forward next episode

Sarki

Post by Sarki » Oct 23rd, '06, 21:00

mhaellix wrote:But despite how awesome that was , there was a drop in ratings for ep 2.. :(
This is predictable, it happens to all shows...
EMTQueen wrote:I mean, I don't know about Japan's sex ed, but by 14, you should know that if Tab A goes into Slot B and there's no reinforcements to back it up, you may very well make a baby.
TG3's explanation involving the innocence or lack of maturity of a 14-year-old seems good to me. Anyway, I recognize that I did get interested on to which way is this possible. I mean, even if it's not based on real events, it is the reality. And what I found was surprising.

Japan has the world's lowest rate of teenage pregnancy births (even thought I assume it's a consequence of their low rate of births per se). Which means, if this was going to happen, Japan is the latest place on the Earth where it would. Not that I'm saying it doesn't happen there too, but the situation seems to be acceptable.

Anyway...Some comments...Well, the scene with his father was great. I understood him. Even though you have to empathise with Miki...But...Dunno XD

I found the second chapter less packed with emotional shocks, but still very good. Of course I'm still looking forward to see how it continues.
You know, even if it was obvious it's gonna be a girl, I hadn't thought of it so it kinda was an spoiler-inside-spoiler XD. Anyway, chances of abortion also seem low. I'm sure they're gonna focus more on how to deal with. Because if not, what would be the story about?

EMTQueen

Post by EMTQueen » Oct 23rd, '06, 23:04

Wow. Just watched the second episode.
The fight with her father was pretty intense. Miki's mother has been beyond understanding. Same with the doctor. I thought that the doctor was going to give Miki a verbal bitchslap.

And I love the disconnect that's starting to happen. The "I love you," thing and next episode, "I want to give birth."

The acting in this has been superb. I'm thoroughly impressed with Shida. There are some actresses out there that have the ability to cry on cue but no actual acting talent to back it up. Shida definitely has the talent.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Oct 24th, '06, 00:02

I think the female teacher and the doctor are going to be kind of "support" characters form Miki. I think at least one of her best friends will turn on her, probably that girl she fought with will get close to her, and from previews of the next ep, it looks like the brother will start giving her $#!t, probably because he's getting teased at school (i.e. "your sister's a whore!" :glare: )

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised how the doctor was pretty understanding. I thought she'd look down on her and talk smack. I think that's the best a doctor could do in that situation.

About Shida Mirai, at first I thought she looked too young, but in a way I think that's good, because it drives home the point that the whole teenage pregnancy epidemic is really about "kids having kids" and not having the slightest clue what to do or what the heck they're gonna get into. [/spoiler]

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Oct 24th, '06, 05:30

Does anybody knows the name of the actress who play the doctor? She also plays in slow dance. She's great.
[edit] I'll answer my own question: it's Takahata Atsuko. :glare:

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Oct 24th, '06, 08:59

I loved the father's reaction in eps 2. He reacted to the situation just from knowing the Miki he knew and of what he himself had known about the situation prior to them telling him (which of course was absolutely nothing). It's annoying to see series sometimes have their characters get way ahead of themselves and assume things they hadn't known. And then the whole she's not my daughter thing and then rushing out to take immediate action... that's some real stuff. My parents would've done that. Actually I know for a fact I would've done that.

and of course I really gotta sing the praises in unison with everyone... Shida is doing a wonderful job in this series.

I hope that magazine guy is just after a sleazy scoop and not trying to mess with Miki's mom in a relationship sort of way. Leave Miki's mom alone :cussing: !!!!

delong

Post by delong » Oct 24th, '06, 10:18

This kind of drama is very new to us..Maybe..
i have finsihed 2nd episode..
I am looking forward to the next...XD

sp4078

Post by sp4078 » Oct 25th, '06, 04:15

Well, I can't say this is a bad show, but it's way too predictable.

I'm still continuing watch this series just b/c Shida's act is just amazing.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Oct 25th, '06, 06:49

Can't get mad that it's predictable cuz it's a life show. I wonder how it is compared to American shows/life? This thing happens all of the time in America, so this show would be bla. I wonder if this is a show that I would like on its own or is it cuz I'm such a Shida Mirai fan? I was just hooked after "Queen's Classroom".

thtl

Post by thtl » Oct 25th, '06, 14:34

A lot of forum members seem to think that it is out of character for Miki to jump into the physical part of her relationship with Satoshi. I beg to differ.

------------ SPOILER ALERT ! ------------

Throughout the first half of episode 1 Miki has been claiming she has no redeeming values, and that the only thing she is good at is the broadcasting club. At the same time you see Miki making sudden decisions, such as playing truant for the first time on a wimp.

It's obvious that Miki is very clear about her feelings towards Satoshi, whereas Satoshi probably wasn't quite considering Miki as a love interest at that point. It looked to me a lot like Miki was expecting things to get hot when she embraced Satoshi.

All in all I think Miki is stronger than she looks, which leads nicely into episode when she insisted she did it out of love when her father pressed her, and in episode 3 (from the trailer) that she is keeping the baby.

Just my 2 cents.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Oct 26th, '06, 00:51

I don't think it's necessary to spoiler alert? Hard to have a discussion about a drama without spoiling..hehe...that's just me..i don't know the rules.

Miki has this fake strength in my opinion. Her confidence is what put her in this troublesome position. Her boyfriend is pathetic...and he admits it, yet she's clearly avoiding it...living in her own world and let him tap it..haha. So far, I like the show cuz it seems realistic, instead of making it seem like the little girl is right. So far that's how it is...I'd be disapointed if they make it into this true love bs.

thtl

Post by thtl » Oct 26th, '06, 01:25

goygakgoy wrote:Miki has this fake strength in my opinion. Her confidence is what put her in this troublesome position. Her boyfriend is pathetic...and he admits it, yet she's clearly avoiding it...living in her own world and let him tap it..haha. So far, I like the show cuz it seems realistic, instead of making it seem like the little girl is right. So far that's how it is...I'd be disapointed if they make it into this true love bs.
You have a point here. But then how many times have you seen seemingly intelligent girls going for weak, undesirable boys? As you said this is also part of what makes this drama realistic.

With regards to the spoiler tags. I just thought it is common courtesy to warn other when the actual contents of the drama was described.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Oct 26th, '06, 04:38

Japan has the world's lowest rate of teenage pregnancy births (even thought I assume it's a consequence of their low rate of births per se). Which means, if this was going to happen, Japan is the latest place on the Earth where it would. Not that I'm saying it doesn't happen there too, but the situation seems to be acceptable.
I believe Japan probably has one of the world's lowest rate of teenage pregnancies because Japan also has one of the highest abortion rates as well. I would bet that the majority of pregnant teenagers in Japan get pressured to have abortions because of social reasons (fear of getting kicked out of school, causing shame to their family, not wanting their fathers to lose face within their companies) or do so of their own volition. With all of the social consequences in Japan to being a teenage mother, or even being a single mother, I think abortions are a popular decision.

Another reason I think this might be so is there are many statistics I've read on the low contraception usage in Japan - they have a low usage of condoms, which has actually caused the STDs in Japan to radically skyrocket in the past decade. So unprotected sex plus low birth rates equals a missing factor that has to be either abortion or miscarriage. (Not to say no one ever uses any contraception there, of course, but I think unfortunately many women in Japan use abortions as a form of contraception, which is pretty irresponsible.)

I think so far this drama is awesome, but I'm a little dismayed by the fact that both Miki's mother and father have had the best possible reactions to this. Sure, they got a little mad the first five or ten minutes or so, but now they're all gung-ho supporting her? If I would have gotten pregnant at 14 I think my mother would have had a nervous breakdown, and my father would have yelled, cussed and carried on for hours and then probably wouldn't have spoken to me for months! In a way I'm glad they're showing the parents being so supportive, but I think it's a bit unrealistic.

Does anyone else think the doctor telling Miki about the dangers to her body if she were to go ahead and give birth (in episode 3) foreshadowing of trouble when it gets closer to the birth? I'm wondering if they're setting us up for Miki to die in childbirth or something super drastic like that. You know we'll have at least one or two near-miscarriages throughout the course of the show because they ALWAYS do that when someone gets pregnant in drama, so of course they'll have to throw that out there. The doctor just kept going on and on about the risk of death to young mothers and I couldn't help thinking if that was a sign of things to come. I sure as hell hope not, though!

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Oct 26th, '06, 05:45

Sorry if I was being a jerk about the spoiler tag. I see it everywhere...so I don't really know the rules. I was worried that somebody might yell at me, but I dunno...I'm assuming that it's okay to spoil in here.
thtl wrote:
goygakgoy wrote:Miki has this fake strength in my opinion. Her confidence is what put her in this troublesome position. Her boyfriend is pathetic...and he admits it, yet she's clearly avoiding it...living in her own world and let him tap it..haha. So far, I like the show cuz it seems realistic, instead of making it seem like the little girl is right. So far that's how it is...I'd be disapointed if they make it into this true love bs.
You have a point here. But then how many times have you seen seemingly intelligent girls going for weak, undesirable boys? As you said this is also part of what makes this drama realistic.

With regards to the spoiler tags. I just thought it is common courtesy to warn other when the actual contents of the drama was described.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Oct 26th, '06, 05:51

awrittensin, I find some parts of what u said contradicting, like pregnancy and abortion. If u have 100 girls who got pregnant, it they all got abortions, doesn't mean that there's no pregnancy, cuz pregnancy is still 100 regardless.

Sorry to jump on you, but I do think u bring up good points. I think Asians, we mold a fake image of ourselves to present to the world. Westerners have no shame to reveal the problems in their countries, but us Asians are so into protecting our image...probably to the point where we lie and that is why we have often have better images than westerners.

I'm guessing she might die?? She's too freaking young man. I didn't see episode 3...soo..hehe..but I think being mad or supportive is realistic. There are parents who will disown, while others who will support cuz that is their daughter.

Tomi

Post by Tomi » Oct 26th, '06, 06:29

=O

Same girl that played Na-chan in Supuri? Wow. Must watch.

Mihara

Post by Mihara » Oct 27th, '06, 02:27

awrittensin wrote:
I think so far this drama is awesome, but I'm a little dismayed by the fact that both Miki's mother and father have had the best possible reactions to this. Sure, they got a little mad the first five or ten minutes or so, but now they're all gung-ho supporting her? If I would have gotten pregnant at 14 I think my mother would have had a nervous breakdown, and my father would have yelled, cussed and carried on for hours and then probably wouldn't have spoken to me for months! In a way I'm glad they're showing the parents being so supportive, but I think it's a bit unrealistic.
Well, from a mother, I'd say it's to be expected. They usually support their children in tough times, I expected her mother to be a bit more mad than just slapping her, but other than that, she's acting as I would expect her to. The dad, again, acting like a dad, most dads would get really really mad like he did. I haven't seen episode three yet, but does is he okay with her having it now or what?
Does anyone else think the doctor telling Miki about the dangers to her body if she were to go ahead and give birth (in episode 3) foreshadowing of trouble when it gets closer to the birth? I'm wondering if they're setting us up for Miki to die in childbirth or something super drastic like that. You know we'll have at least one or two near-miscarriages throughout the course of the show because they ALWAYS do that when someone gets pregnant in drama, so of course they'll have to throw that out there. The doctor just kept going on and on about the risk of death to young mothers and I couldn't help thinking if that was a sign of things to come. I sure as hell hope not, though!
I think that the baby's going to die, I can't honestly see them killing Miki at the end. My guess is that everything's going to focus on Satoshi and Miki learning to be with each other and support each other, then the baby dies somehow but everything that Satoshi and Miki learned stays with them so if they stay together, they'll be ready if they have a baby when she's older.[/quote]

thtl

Post by thtl » Oct 27th, '06, 02:41

Mihara wrote: I think that the baby's going to die, I can't honestly see them killing Miki at the end. My guess is that everything's going to focus on Satoshi and Miki learning to be with each other and support each other, then the baby dies somehow but everything that Satoshi and Miki learned stays with them so if they stay together, they'll be ready if they have a baby when she's older.
[/quote]

I beg to differ. In view of what 'amrittensin' said about Japan's pregnancy/birth/abortion rates, I have a feeling that this may turn out to be a pro-life kind of drama, with Miki giving birth to the baby and learning to take care of it. After all the title of this drama is "14-year Old Mother", it seemed unlikely to me that the producer did not intend to let the baby see light of day, so to speak.

YamapisWifey

Post by YamapisWifey » Oct 27th, '06, 03:18

awrittensin wrote:

The dad did yell out that he no longer has a daughter anymore. Then next thing you know he wants the boy to support Miki and be responsible for what happened. Yeah like a 180. My parents would have disowned me for getting pregnant.... As for me, I would disown Miki for WANTING the baby. I don't understand what in her right mind thinks she can mentally and financially support it with that puppy love significant other of hers. I guess you never know until you try it >_>

The doctor scene telling Miki about her pregnancy does seem to be a foreshadowing of something terrible to happen and I think I know what's going to happen. Hmm it is kinda predictable isnt it..but nonetheless, an enjoyable drama <3

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Oct 27th, '06, 16:39

awrittensin, I find some parts of what u said contradicting, like pregnancy and abortion. If u have 100 girls who got pregnant, it they all got abortions, doesn't mean that there's no pregnancy, cuz pregnancy is still 100 regardless.
I never said there was no pregnancy. The original poster I quoted stated there are very teen low pregnancy birth rates in Japan. In my post I was referring to the same; teenagers who carried their babies to term.

sp4078

Post by sp4078 » Oct 28th, '06, 05:41

As for me, I would disown Miki for WANTING the baby. I don't understand what in her right mind thinks she can mentally and financially support it with that puppy love significant other of hers. I guess you never know until you try it >_>
HELL YEAH. Finally I found someone who has a thought just like me. :crazy: I mean.. What the heck she thinks she's doing ? She's only 14, that "love" between her and her boyfriend are damn unrealistic. I beg for the drama not to focus on this stupid "love".

Just let the baby dies somehow.

[/quote]

thtl

Post by thtl » Oct 28th, '06, 14:40

sp4078 wrote: HELL YEAH. Finally I found someone who has a thought just like me. :crazy: I mean.. What the heck she thinks she's doing ? She's only 14, that "love" between her and her boyfriend are damn unrealistic. I beg for the drama not to focus on this stupid "love".

Personally I think this kind of thought is a bit irresponsible. Miki, or any other child, was not given a choice on whether to be born or not. Her existence was the sole result of her parents, may even just the mother's, decision. It is, therefore, the parent(s) responsibility to take care of her, to ensure that she has a reasonable start in life when she still has to depend on her parents. A child is not something one can discard if their behaviour does not meet the our approval.

I still maintain that in this case Miki's parents should support Miki in whatever she decides. It is only natural for them to persuade Miki to get an abortion, but if Miki decided otherwise then her parents should help her through this ordeal.

Rokawa

Post by Rokawa » Oct 28th, '06, 16:24

sp4078 wrote:
As for me, I would disown Miki for WANTING the baby. I don't understand what in her right mind thinks she can mentally and financially support it with that puppy love significant other of hers. I guess you never know until you try it >_>
HELL YEAH. Finally I found someone who has a thought just like me. :crazy: I mean.. What the heck she thinks she's doing ?

[/quote]
Yes we're on the same wavelength. But..
It may seem irrational to most ppl to keep the baby in that kind of situation but only a mother will understand what a baby mean to her. Yes she may be only 14 and its completely impossible to go to sch, work a living, caring the baby, etc (meaning her parents would be supporting financially, etc). A bond between a mother and child is eh erm irrational. A mother is still a mother regardless of her age. And her feelings to the baby is something other ppl may not understand and comprehend (even other mothers). And in this case, we cant really generalize it. It happens that she is a female girl who have a strong motherly instinct irregardless of how untrue we assume her love to that guy. However untrue or childish her love to the boy is (I as well believe is more like puppy love as she displayed herself to be the sudden impulsive kind of person) but her feelings to the baby is different and cannot be compare as the same. Yes she may be too immature to think abt the future but.. females are emotional. Most of their decisions are based on their feelings while men tend to decide base on facts.
I believe if not all, most mothers does not live for themselves. They live for their children. If u ask a mother to go out alone and have fun by herself, I believe its rather impossible for her. She would prefer to go out with her children and have fun together. If she go out alone, she would be wondering whats her child doing with her not ard.
Although a mother is sick, she would still worry for her child's matters. <- Why is this rather irrational? If she's sick and still worried abt her child, can she really recover well. If she cant recover how is she supposed to take care of her child. But she would still worry abt her child over herself.
If her child is sick, a mother would wish to be the one suffering in place of her child. <- Why is this rather irrational? A healthy mother is better able to care for her sick child than a healthy child care for his/her sick mother. Yet mothers will still wish to take the pain away from her child.
Basically what I'm trying to say is, yes even I dun understand why some women want to be single mothers. Cant they eh "foresee" what it would be like for the child when he start comparing to his frens' couple fren and his only single mum and so on and so forth. But what each individual mother would do would be different. Some will hide and give birth and "discard" the baby somewhere. I mean abandoned. Some will go through all means to keep the baby even if they would be disowned by their parents. Why? Becoz their love for their baby is precious. More than their own life.
And each individual are different, and this show is focus on this particular individual named Ichinose Miki who has this personality. She's becoming more like a mother already after making a decision to keep the baby. Making tt decision means she's sacrificing her youth. She has yet to experience the full teenage life.
We shouldnt really condemn her.. yet. As Majo no Jouken (aka Forbidden Love/ A Witch's requirement) shows, are we living for ourselves or for the society. Is Ichinose Miki living for herself or for those ard her? As the gynoco-doctor said, its not a sin to give birth. But its a sin to give birth and not properly take care of the baby. We cant condemn her as we "predict" she wont be able to take care of it. I think its the same as in a doctor condemning a patient becoz he's adolf hitler or saddam hussein.

I hope she will give birth in the middle of the drama and let the show allow her to display to us her 14 year old motherly nature. How irritated a 14 year old would be when the baby cry in the middle of the night. The headache a 14 year old will experience when the baby is fed but its crying abt something which she does not know why. The joy a 14 year old would feel when the baby say its 1st word "mama". Last but not least, the pain so close to death it would feel to give birth as a mother.

Tomi

Episode 1-2

Post by Tomi » Oct 28th, '06, 22:04

Waaaah~ Just watched episode two. This series is so good. It was amazing Miki's mother's reaction. She was so kind to her, which doesn't happen often but their needs to be more supportive mothers like her. Obviously, I think Miki knows that she made a mistake and she is taking responsibility for it, but she never intentionally wanted to have a baby so she is saying she WANTS it. Which she does but for other reasons. Satoshi needs to grow up! lol.

No abortion! [Although to clarify, I am not against abortion either. I'm pro-choice. Whatever is best for the person.]

Also, I think thtl is right. At first you wouldn't expect Miki to do something such as doing it with Satoshi but she has strong feelings for Satoshi and she is very impulsive.

I ike Miki's character a lot because she is so strong. Unlike many of us would be able to, she was able to look her mother and father in the eyes.

Ah! Can't wait for the next episode.
Last edited by Tomi on Oct 28th, '06, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 28th, '06, 22:23

@Rokawa,

thank you very much for this wonderful post. I agree with you 100%. While I am not one of those people who want abortion to be banned (on the contrary), I do think that this is a very, very difficult decision - one of the most difficult you will EVER have to face - and some women will not emotionally be able to abort their own babies. In such cases, forcing a woman into abortion could be catastrophical, and might very well ruin the mother's life just as much as having the baby would have. Some women never recover from the trauma that is an abortion.

TG3

My Thoughts on Ep 3 and series so far

Post by TG3 » Oct 28th, '06, 23:03

The show just keeps on getting better and better. About the parents' "unrealistic" "flip flop" on Miki's decision. People, they haven't even shown that part yet! 1) Miki's parents are under the impression that "well, kids are kids and will do stupid things. Let's just sweep this under the rug and abort the baby and drive on.
It isn't only until the very end of Ep 2 that her mom finds out she can't go through with it and is keeping the baby. The dad doesn't even know about this, yet. In other words, we have yet to see their reaction to her decision
As for future episodes, it looks like in the next ep, Satoshi's mother is gonna try to send him away (looks like he has a passport) and will probably give Miki's parents "hush money" to keep quiet abot the whole thing (much like she tried to do with the reporter). I think they won't accept it, though. Even though he'll be leaving, it looks like Miki is gonna go through it alone.
For all of you thinking she'll die, I seriously doubt it, because if you listen to the narration of it, it's being told as if the events happened in the past (from Miki and her mom's perspectibe).[/spoiler]

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Oct 29th, '06, 01:12

I only saw up to episode 2...so forgive me. Yes, we should condemn her all we want. Don't give me this mother and child BS cuz she's an ignorant child who knows nothing. She lives by her feelings and so far is not making any right decision. She knows nothing! Parents shouldn't disown her though cuz that's making thing worst. Parents who do that are more into their reputation, than the actual problem....us Asians seem to have that problem. Americans don't disown their children like Asians cuz Ameicans don't give care as much how others feel. She should get an abortion...but that would make a boring drama...haha.

sp4078

Post by sp4078 » Oct 30th, '06, 07:30

I don't think American or Asian make any different being a mother. XD

Ok, I got your guys' points there. The mother-child bond maybe strong. But I can understand that if that's after her childbirth. Now, no matter how strong she is, she's still a 14 girl, knows nothing but her stupid puppy love. When she said "I love you" to her bf, I see that's really stupid.

What the heck do you think a 14 girl would have that kind of bond with an unknown fetus ?

But in this case, I don't care whether she's going to abortion or not. XD as long as it makes the drama interesting.

thtl

Post by thtl » Oct 30th, '06, 07:46

sp4078 wrote:Now, no matter how strong she is, she's still a 14 girl, knows nothing but her stupid puppy love. When she said "I love you" to her bf, I see that's really stupid.
A bit cynical, aren't you? :-)

Love is nearly always stupid, if it is genuine. Love that can be analyzed, quantified, and valuated is usually known as 'scheming'. :glare:

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Oct 30th, '06, 15:39

sp4078 wrote: Now, no matter how strong she is, she's still a 14 girl, knows nothing but her stupid puppy love. When she said "I love you" to her bf, I see that's really stupid.
Well I also don't think that you can call that "love"... But in japanese (original language) she doesn't use the word "Love" (I know, the word isn't that common for japanese people as for us). So it's just something the translation made up, but in deed it's really hard to make a one-to-one translation of japanese love-confessions because of the point i just mentioned

thtl

Post by thtl » Oct 30th, '06, 16:05

Riee109 wrote: Well I also don't think that you can call that "love"... But in japanese (original language) she doesn't use the word "Love" (I know, the word isn't that common for japanese people as for us). So it's just something the translation made up, but in deed it's really hard to make a one-to-one translation of japanese love-confessions because of the point i just mentioned
Miki said to Satoshi: "watashi wa Kiri chan suki." From my very limited knowledge of Japanese this a general kind of love confession, a bit stronger than "I'm fond of you" but not quite "I love you".

Sarki

Post by Sarki » Oct 30th, '06, 23:01

I like you would probably translate quite accurately. Anyway, I think his father was being pretty right in ep.2, it doesn't look to me like a serious enough relationship to get this far.

Anyway, Chapter 3 Spoilers
I really liked the final scene in the hospital. When her mother says how much Miki meant to her as a baby, then I was thinking (and like Miki said later), then this is how much this child means to Miki. Anyway, so, she's not having an abortion (as expected), at least from now. I don't like making predictions of what is going to happen next because that's what the episodes are for. So I'll just say that I'm still not convinced at all, meaning, I wouldn't give my approval at all yet (though of course forcing her is no good also). Probably it's because I don't really like Kiri-chan...Dunno, doesn't look that much special to me...[
By the way, am I the only one who thinks that the hospital is like...I dunno, too old-looking? Like, when I look at the hospital I was born and compare it to this one...It looks so old that it even makes me think that it might not be even an appropiate one :scratch:

Or maybe here hospitals are just modern-looking :lol

Rokawa

Post by Rokawa » Oct 30th, '06, 23:35

That's a very good point.
Most translations (both professional and fanwork) translates suki as I love u. It's not wrong.
Sometimes it is translated as I like u. (taking a liking to someone, fond of someone)

To compare the "strength" between 'suki' and 'ai' (love as in aishiteiru) we can look at cases when it's used.
To the family members, u would normally say suki to express your love verbally to them and not aishiteiru. Aishiteiru is used more for couples yet (if i remember correctly) most couples can live through their lives together without saying aishiteiru or something similar to it at all. Only suki or dai suki is used to express their love.
And when teenagers have a crush on their pop idols, of course they will usually chitter chatter that they love him in the suki form. Thus there are many variations in how it is used. That's why when "challenged" like for example a colleague teasing another colleague that he has feelings for and "suki" another colleague, he is able to say he "suki" this colleague, he also "suki" that colleague as well as "suki" the boss to "escape" the situation which if used in english, we might add "as a friend".

Even the Japanese sign language JSL has two distinct clear differences for these two if i guess correctly.
1st sign is the thumb (right side of face) and index finger (left side of face) placed parallel and a few cm away from the face, above the chin, a little below the cheeks, and then move the thumb and finger downwards so that the two meet each other (like a V movement) under the chin. Do this twice would mean aishiteiru.
2nd sign is placing the left hand, palm facing downwards, forward and then putting the right hand on top of the left hand, (right hand's palm not touching the left hand) and rotate the right hand in a circular (anti-clockwise?) manner a few times above the left hand. This indicates suki or liking someone.
I could be wrong for the JSL and possibly even the 1st sign means like while 2nd sign means love, hehehe. Forgive me if i made an error(s).

thtl

Post by thtl » Oct 31st, '06, 01:52

Sarki wrote: By the way, am I the only one who thinks that the hospital is like...I dunno, too old-looking? Like, when I look at the hospital I was born and compare it to this one...It looks so old that it even makes me think that it might not be even an appropiate one :scratch:

Or maybe here hospitals are just modern-looking :lol
In Japan's health system there are 2 types of hospitals - those that can accommodate (as in beds) more than 19 persons and those only 19 or less. We may call the later clinics but in the western world clinics seldom accommodate in-patients.

In this case it is a specific kind of clinic - and obstetrics/gynaecologist. In the Asian society these are often run by a single doctor with a small complement of mid-wifes/nurse. As Miki was born there this clinic is likely to be 15 years old or more.

sp4078

Post by sp4078 » Oct 31st, '06, 01:57

That's it. After watching epi 3, I decided not to continue with this series. It's so frustrating, and make completely no sense. The coffee guy becomes annoying, begin to spoil everything up. And I can't stand Miki's foolish anymore.

303aegiszx

Post by 303aegiszx » Oct 31st, '06, 02:05

The latest episode was interesting. This series gives a reality check on ethics and morality. Is abortion right? Answers will vary depending on the person. I'm really enjoying this series.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Oct 31st, '06, 03:49

I think the reporter, while seemingly a sleezy guy, trying to dig up dirt on Satoshi's mom (she deserves it though!) is probably gonna back off for the sake of Miki and her mom.