[Discussion] Nodame Cantabile and also its SP in Europe

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 18th, '08, 04:30

Here's an article I read over at Anime News Network. Apparently, on the strength of the TV Special, vol 19 of the manga has rebounded into the top 10 selling manga books, even though it is 2 months old.

Japanese Comic Rankings

Given the high ratings, I would think another special is certainly possible.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 19th, '08, 04:17

musotaku wrote:Given the high ratings, I would think another special is certainly possible.
One can only hope.

Though I'd think Hiroshi-kun and Juri-chan would tire of it and move on... :sweat:

On the other hand, the storyline is still fresh and not a retread like that train wreck Gokusen 2 or the upcoming Gokusen 3.

Bleah.

strawberrynkiwi

Post by strawberrynkiwi » Jan 24th, '08, 21:26

wow thank siantu for subbing. i must have been a lot of hardwork to sub 4 hours worth of drama.

i finished last night, even though i was kinda hallucinating close to the end. 4 hours is really too much, but i loved every bit of it.
chiaki getting worried about nodame was so sweet. they make the cutest couple. and them fighting was hilarious.

BEST MANGA/ANIME ADAPTION EVER!!!

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Jan 25th, '08, 14:04

You are all welcome. Yes it was tiring (actually it is 5 hours airing time in total), but it is worth it. I love the drama. If there is a 2nd season, I will be subbing it again, for sureI. So see you all again for the 2nd season! *crossing my fingers*

PS: I still have many Nodame goods I don't know what to do with them, but I am so busy I couldn't manage to hold a Nodame Contest as I did a few times before. Thtl still has 1 Nodame bag to give as a Prize for a contest hold at my site, though, just as he had done before. I am not sure when he will make use of that.
Anyway, I am very glad that all of you enjoy it.

hikaru_11

Post by hikaru_11 » Jan 25th, '08, 14:24

otsukare siantut! :D

i'm sooooo glad you feel like sharing the nodame love XD don't you just love chiaki and nodame? XD the best couple ever XD they're so cute!!!! i hope they do a second season on this one. definitely something to look forward to.. :wub: :wub: :wub: i love the 2 of them together in a drama :D i wish there'll be more of them XD

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Jan 27th, '08, 16:41

Specials are always a bit tricky, but these were both great.
I laughed so much........for me it was like a post christmas present because the french of the actors was sooooooooooo hilarious (especially Becky and the guy playing Frank), and also if you know Paris a little bit you will realise that Chiaki's jogging route is surreal, very touristic nevertheless would take him hours and hours to cover all this distance by foot. Since I live in Japan now it was fun to see how Japanese dramas depict Europe.
If anyone knows about dramas that take place in Europe, let me know!

sarten

Post by sarten » Jan 27th, '08, 20:42

i almost cried when i saw nodame chan crying T_T buuaa so cute, i loooved SP

p.s don't u think tamaki kun looks skinny????????

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Jan 27th, '08, 21:42

It was great, I loved watching it ^^

And btw, for anyone who hasn't read the manga and wants a little spoiler of something they left out:
Chiaki was supposed to kiss Nodame when he made her play the piano. In the drama he hugged her... their first kiss was supposed to happen then.

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Jan 28th, '08, 18:25

I finally watched the special last night, words leave me to describe how great it was. LOL!

To Siantut: THANK YOU SO MUCH!] for doing the softsubs! Otsukare-sama deshita! Honto ni! :wub: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

@ blablabla: I thought the same thing! that jogging trip chiaki made was like km after km! Mwahahahaha!

@sarten: I'm with you too on that one, whenever nodame cries I wanna cry too! she's so cute, you just want to pet her and tell her "daijoubu daijoubu it's all gonna be fine".

But I'm glad she finally found a reason to keep playing the piano and studying. Hehehehehe, I've been in that kind of situation, where you enter a class and everyone seems to know a whole lot more than you do, an it's easy to get discouraged, eventually, people either quit or better themselves, I decided to hit the books (in my case) and keep studying for the sake of enjoying it. I'm glad I did.

Chiaki entering the hentai no mori was the funniest, because he's so square and dry... I have the sneaking suspicion he's gonna become a breast size hentai himself. Muwahahahaha! (even though I kinda disagree with the hentai label he uses to describe nodame, she's just a sweet girl in touch with her physical needs, that's all :lol )

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 28th, '08, 20:04

princess_jime wrote:even though I kinda disagree with the hentai label he uses to describe nodame
It's important to understand that "hentai" in Japanese just means "really strange" or "really different". It does not always have the XXX meaning it does in English.

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Jan 28th, '08, 20:40

XD I know, it's just that it seemed to me that every time he says it he somewhat thinks of xxx-related things... It maybe just coincidence, I don't know. XD XD XD

bmx

Post by bmx » Jan 29th, '08, 03:01

what I don't understand is, what's with Tania and her near obsession with vacations? care to explain, anyone?

and, can anyone care to share anymore interesting spoilers from the manga?

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 29th, '08, 03:21

bmx wrote: anyone care to share anymore interesting spoilers from the manga?
In case you didn't see them, I posted quite a number of manga spoilers starting page 57 of this thread.

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 29th, '08, 03:29

bmx wrote:what's with Tania and her near obsession with vacations?
I don't think there is any deep reason. The girl is lazy. Mainly she wants an MRS degree with some rich man. But:
Entering her third year of conservatory she suddenly discovers she wants to win a competition. Starting in vol. 18 or so, we see a new Tanya. (It probably is no coincidence it's about the same time she admits to herself she has the hots for Kuroki.)

garnet07

Manga of Nodame Cantabile up to v17 for download

Post by garnet07 » Jan 29th, '08, 06:14

If anyone of you are is still looking for Nodame Cantabile scanlations, you guys can get it on my site at http://goldlilys.110mb.com or just click on my signature picture below V .

And thanks to siantut for subbing the entire Nodame Cantabile drama. To this day, I've only watched the drama of it and not the anime nor read the manga. Reading all the comments, it seems the drama ends around v15 so I would need to read the manga where the drama left off.

Everything about the drama and storyline is just so perfect. I love the characters and the music. Haha true, Nodame will always be Nodame, but I didn't know Ueno Juri also acts like her drama counterpart. I would like to see a video of that. Anyone know?

And Chiaki is still so cool even though very stubborn at times. :mrgreen:

theGreat0ne

Post by theGreat0ne » Jan 29th, '08, 08:57

first of all i want to say thank you to Siantut for subbing the SP.

is it just me or that they never showed us when chiaki gave nodame the necklace?

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Jan 29th, '08, 12:05

theGreat0ne wrote:first of all i want to say thank you to Siantut for subbing the SP.

is it just me or that they never showed us when chiaki gave nodame the necklace?
they never really showed it. presumably it was given during the kiss.

nanorie

Post by nanorie » Jan 29th, '08, 12:23

Was it just me or did the dubbing destroy the SP's horribly? I mean, it was just fine when they spoke french or german, why did they have to dub it? It's not like it's hard to read subtitles. I would understand if their major audience were old people, but it isin't! It's teenagers and 20/30-something people.

Just ridiculous...
They let Professor O'claire speak french in the TV-series.. let him speak again dammit! :argue:

ellas

Post by ellas » Jan 29th, '08, 12:38

Hi !!!! I just watched the first night of the Sp... it was really funny ! But i agree with you nanorie.. the dubbing kind of sucked... hmm it was fine when they were speaking french haha.. trying to.. haha....:lol Anyway still haven't watched the second night ! LoL

By the way, i had to write this..theGreat0ne.. first time i see your avatar.. it's just so funny *can't stop laughing* and really cute :P

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 30th, '08, 04:51

nanorie wrote:Was it just me or did the dubbing destroy the SP's horribly? I mean, it was just fine when they spoke french or german, why did they have to dub it? It's not like it's hard to read subtitles. I would understand if their major audience were old people, but it isin't! It's teenagers and 20/30-something people.
It has nothing to do with age.

They were trying to be nice and didn't want to burden the viewers with reading the subtitles...

Little did they know that subtitles would appear after fansubbing. :D

nanorie

Post by nanorie » Jan 30th, '08, 09:28

bmwracer wrote:
nanorie wrote:Was it just me or did the dubbing destroy the SP's horribly? I mean, it was just fine when they spoke french or german, why did they have to dub it? It's not like it's hard to read subtitles. I would understand if their major audience were old people, but it isin't! It's teenagers and 20/30-something people.
It has nothing to do with age.

They were trying to be nice and didn't want to burden the viewers with reading the subtitles...

Little did they know that subtitles would appear after fansubbing. :D
I was just speculating since more than half of all european countries dub mainly cause the old people can't read the subtitles (Or having trouble with it cause it's so fast), and of course toddlers. It's a bit of a "respect" thing as well...

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 30th, '08, 15:50

nanorie wrote: I was just speculating since more than half of all european countries dub mainly cause the old people can't read the subtitles
The overwhelming majority of Japanese people speak only Japanese (despite studying English all through school). It is a very different environment than Europe, especially Sweden. I doubt the average Japanese viewer would tolerate more than a smattering of subtitles before switching channels. They are no different than most Americans in this. (Those of us on this forum are *not* typical TV viewers, almost by definition. :lol )

BTW: I am pretty sure that for this special, they had the European actors mouth Japanese words and then dub artists came in and did their best to sync up. It was a bit like anime in this regard and not really a straight dub. (There were a couple of exceptions, for example Viera, who apparently was actually speaking Czech.)

nanorie

Post by nanorie » Jan 30th, '08, 17:54

musotaku wrote:
nanorie wrote: I was just speculating since more than half of all european countries dub mainly cause the old people can't read the subtitles
The overwhelming majority of Japanese people speak only Japanese (despite studying English all through school). It is a very different environment than Europe, especially Sweden. I doubt the average Japanese viewer would tolerate more than a smattering of subtitles before switching channels. They are no different than most Americans in this. (Those of us on this forum are *not* typical TV viewers, almost by definition. :lol )

BTW: I am pretty sure that for this special, they had the European actors mouth Japanese words and then dub artists came in and did their best to sync up. It was a bit like anime in this regard and not really a straight dub. (There were a couple of exceptions, for example Viera, who apparently was actually speaking Czech.)
Being raised with swe subtitles whenever there's a foreign TV-show/film, I just can't understand why they find it so hard to read subtitles in their own language. It's not like they dub EVERYTHING. They show subtitles in cinemas in Japan, why not telly?

Yeah, you could see that the orchestra people speak french (supposely) with their mouths..
I would be kind of annoyed if I starred in a foreign drama and they dubbed my voice. Kind of creepy when you think about it, watching yourself with another persons voice.

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 30th, '08, 18:12

nanorie wrote:Being raised with swe subtitles whenever there's a foreign TV-show/film
I remember from my 5-week stay in Sweden that Swedish TV has a tremendous percentage of foreign film and TV. It seemed like well over 50%, most of which was English language. Indeed, my Swedish friends tell me that that's how it happens that nearly all Swedes speak English exceedingly well.

Japan is just not the same. It is much more like America. Very little TV is not either natively in Japanese or dubbed into Japanese. I never saw a film in Japan, so I can't really say what the percentage of film is like. They certainly have American films there, but whether they use dub or sub I don't know.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 31st, '08, 01:11

musotaku wrote: They are no different than most Americans in this.
You can say that again: I hate it when they dub the DVD Anime releases of movies like Princess Mononoke or Kiki's Delivery Service, because Americans (apparently) can't read text on a screen for any sustained amount of time... Like more than a few minutes.

Ridiculous.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 31st, '08, 17:44

:thumleft:

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Jan 31st, '08, 19:30

hi all. i just recently watched the live action and then read the manga, and i really enjoyed it! :D

i hope someone who read volume 18 & 19--or at least have seen the pictures--answer my question. (pretty please?)
now, i know this is a JDrama forum but i just read volume 17 and i am really feeling sad...is volume 18 & 19 still good? i'm feeling really angsty. :cry:
isn't there any manga nodame cantabile forum that has a good number of posters to talk to? coz i am thinking i may be off topic here...

nanorie

Post by nanorie » Jan 31st, '08, 20:53

bmwracer wrote: because Americans (apparently) can't read text on a screen for any sustained amount of time... Like more than a few minutes.
Now that is just something I can't understand. Haha, oh the world's a mysterious place...

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 1st, '08, 02:10

intercostalspace wrote:hi all. i just recently watched the live action and then read the manga, and i really enjoyed it! :D

i hope someone who read volume 18 & 19--or at least have seen the pictures--answer my question. (pretty please?)
now, i know this is a JDrama forum but i just read volume 17 and i am really feeling sad...is volume 18 & 19 still good? i'm feeling really angsty. :cry:
I have read 18 & 19 (and even posted spoilers about them in this thread starting p. 57.)
You say you are feeling sad after reading 17 but did not say why. Is it because Chiaki moved out, or is it because you think the story has become more random? I happen to think the story since v.15 is not nearly as forward-driven as it was before, especially compared to when they were in Japan. There is more emphasis on the secondary characters, esp. Kuroki, Tanya, and Son Rui. Also a great deal of professional stuff, like the auditions for Chiaki's orchetra.

But I still enjoy the heck out of the manga. Vols. 18-19 contain a really great Chiaki/Nodame arc, and vol. 19 sees the hilarious return of some old friends, so if you are still enjoying it thru v. 17, it's worth hanging in there.

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 1st, '08, 08:27

^thanks. i just read them. i'm counting on what you said, that ' Vols. 18-19 contain a really great Chiaki/Nodame arc'
i guess what's bothering me about it is that Chiaki & Nodame lacks serious interaction. like the one when Chiaki is telling Nodame that he understands her, in school she is considered old already. i think he also puts her head on his shoulder that time. i think i can only count with my right hand digits the number of serious moments they've had. and because they lack serious interaction, at least to my taste, i doubt their relationship.

see, Nodame has done so many life-changing things for Chiaki while Chiaki has done things for Nodame that even a house help or a butler can do! cook, clean, do laundry....i think for Nodame, Chiaki is a motivation but not the catalyst. Chiaki even left her so she can sort things out on her own when she was feeling down. on the other hand, Nodame is the catalyst in Chiaki's life, like that hypnotism episode, watching him during practice & helping with the orchestra, etc...

i actually hated Chiaki when he brushed Nodame off when Son Rui came. he should have returned her embrace since he knows Nodame was insanely jealous (& this is not an understatement) of Son Rui.

i am even thinking that at the back of Chiaki's mind he is ashamed of Nodame since people seem to have the impression that he probably has an elegant/pretty girlfriend, he even tells Matsuda that something like, "it just happened" (that he fell for her). though i suppose you can take that as a positive or negative. up to now he is kind of reserved when showing his feelings for Nodame especially when they are with others.

but then again, i guess Chiaki changed when Milch told him that he should be "clear with things like that." i recall he is talking about his relationship with Nodame. since that has been slightly fixed, he still has a problem. i notice his mother telling him not to push Nodame aside; i think at the time he was moving in another apartment.

bottomline, i think if not for Nodame's love for Chiaki, he can actually be replaced while Nodame is irreplaceable.

btw, i want to ask about his father. did Chiaki's father call Nodame "disgusting" when he sort of bumped into her in the halls of the orchestra theater? or am i completely wrong?

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 1st, '08, 14:27

intercostalspace wrote:^thanks. i just read them. i'm counting on what you said, that ' Vols. 18-19 contain a really great Chiaki/Nodame arc'
i guess what's bothering me about it is that Chiaki & Nodame lacks serious interaction. like the one when Chiaki is telling Nodame that he understands her, in school she is considered old already. i think he also puts her head on his shoulder that time. i think i can only count with my right hand digits the number of serious moments they've had. and because they lack serious interaction, at least to my taste, i doubt their relationship.

see, Nodame has done so many life-changing things for Chiaki while Chiaki has done things for Nodame that even a house help or a butler can do! cook, clean, do laundry....i think for Nodame, Chiaki is a motivation but not the catalyst. Chiaki even left her so she can sort things out on her own when she was feeling down. on the other hand, Nodame is the catalyst in Chiaki's life, like that hypnotism episode, watching him during practice & helping with the orchestra, etc...

i actually hated Chiaki when he brushed Nodame off when Son Rui came. he should have returned her embrace since he knows Nodame was insanely jealous (& this is not an understatement) of Son Rui.

i am even thinking that at the back of Chiaki's mind he is ashamed of Nodame since people seem to have the impression that he probably has an elegant/pretty girlfriend, he even tells Matsuda that something like, "it just happened" (that he fell for her). though i suppose you can take that as a positive or negative. up to now he is kind of reserved when showing his feelings for Nodame especially when they are with others.

but then again, i guess Chiaki changed when Milch told him that he should be "clear with things like that." i recall he is talking about his relationship with Nodame. since that has been slightly fixed, he still has a problem. i notice his mother telling him not to push Nodame aside; i think at the time he was moving in another apartment.

bottomline, i think if not for Nodame's love for Chiaki, he can actually be replaced while Nodame is irreplaceable.

btw, i want to ask about his father. did Chiaki's father call Nodame "disgusting" when he sort of bumped into her in the halls of the orchestra theater? or am i completely wrong?
This really needs to all stay hidden. It's manga stuff. (I haven't found a good forum on the manga either.)
Remind me the chapter that Nodame bumped into Chiaki's father, and I'll go back and translate it carefully. Without a dictionary I only get about 60% of the Japanese, but unless it seems like a key moment I don't usually bother with a dictionary.

I think there have been several key points in their relationship that show an up and down progression.

1. The first kiss when Nodame threw him out. (This was only a hug in the dorama.)
2. The scene after Chiaki's debut, when Nodame asked Chiaki to remind her what that kiss was like.
3. The fight on the bridge.
4. The recital at San Malo (and its aftermath).
5. Chiaki moving out.
6. When... oh yeah, that would spoil 18-19. :P

I think part of the story is that as both Nodame and Chiaki develop as pro musicians, events in their personal lives have less and less impact on their professional performance. This is certainly true in the real world, and I am glad it proves true for them.

The story at this point is definitely splintering. I honestly wonder if Ninomiya only planned it through the Japan arc and has been slightly winging it since, just because of its continuing popularity. But there is still the key framework that has been there from the start. Will Chiaki openly admit how he feels about Nodame? (He knows it means entering the hentai forest, and I don't blame him for being hesitant.) Will Nodame achieve her personal and professional potential? Watching the answers to these questions unfold is what keeps me reading. And vols 18-19 certainly continue those threads with a little drama and healthy dose of humor.

I disagree that Nodame only gets trivialities (i.e., cooking and cleaning) from Chiaki. His performances are a continual inspiration to her to continue learning and practicing, and they have been so from the start. They have revealed to her what music can be, and lifted her aspirations so that she can even be in a position to achieve the potential of her raw talent. Watching as she learns her craft (which is challenging no matter how much talent you have) is one of the pleasures I get from this manga.

On the topic of Nodame and cooking, I laugh every time I think about the "famous night of the Nodame curry".

To me, the biggest disappointment is that little seems to have changed in Chiaki after San Malo. San Malo was the finale of the drama special, and it was definitely the high point of the France arc so far. What happened between them after they left the party that night and went back to their shared bedroom is their secret, but when they got back to Paris not much seemed to have changed. This strikes me as something of a cheap storytelling trick.

Ooze

Post by Ooze » Feb 1st, '08, 15:27

YOOOOOOOW....

I am curious about the song (BG) in the very beginning of the SP 2.
I really like it.
Is it special OST or one of the classical music??
anybody has it?

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 1st, '08, 15:44

Ooze wrote:I am curious about the song (BG) in the very beginning of the SP 2.
Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto, dovetailing from mid-1st mvmt to the end of the last mvmt. (I'm not called musotaku for nothing!)

Ooze

Post by Ooze » Feb 1st, '08, 15:51

YOOOOOOOW.....

hoaaaaa......
hayaiii...
yappps... .thank yoouuuu!! :)

wuff

Post by wuff » Feb 1st, '08, 16:15

Ooze wrote:YOOOOOOOW.....

hoaaaaa......
hayaiii...
yappps... .thank yoouuuu!! :)
:mrgreen: Ooze! you are very funny! :)

well actually, I am also curious about that song, which is played almost at the end of the first part of the SP, when Chiaki hugs Nodame... :wub: we can hear a woman's voice, too. :)

I have already listened Till Eulespiegel and Ravel's Alborado del Gracioso (Noda plays it at the beginning in Chiakai's room) and I love them. It is fantastic to realise the difference between "Nodame's" playing technic and the original playing style.
They made a great job!

(I hope the OST of the SP will be out soon... :whistling: )

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 1st, '08, 16:56

wuff wrote:I am also curious about that song, which is played almost at the end of the first part of the SP, when Chiaki hugs Nodame...
"O mio babbino caro" from Puccini's opera "Gianni Schicci".

It is probably the most famous aria from that opera, and it has been used many times in films and TV. (One such film is "A Room with a View.")

It sounds so much like a love song, and that's how it nearly always appears in film (including NC), but it is in fact a song of affection sung by a daughter to her father. The title in English is "O my dearest daddy."

wuff

Post by wuff » Feb 1st, '08, 17:10

oh dear! it was very fast!!! thank you very much!!!
now you have mentioned the room with a view, I remember, though I didn't know the title of this song and I think I haven't listened or watched this opera... so I have -finally- something exact to fill the gaps in my classical knowledge... :P thank you very much, once again! :-)

anyway, musotaku! you make me jealous! I also want know so much about music!!!
( 2 weeks ago, I had an exam from Music histroy and the teacher/professor was amazing! My friend and I studied only exceptions for the exam about Beethoven, Haydn, etc. but he knows everything!!! :goggle: We couldn't tell anything special to him. We wanted to test him, but we failed... :whistling: what an embarrassing story... :) )

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 1st, '08, 17:32

wuff wrote:musotaku! you make me jealous! I also want know so much about music!!!
I probably have long headstart over you. :lol

But it sounds like you've been bitten by the bug. Ganbatte kudasai, ne.

wuff

Post by wuff » Feb 1st, '08, 17:49

I totally agree! XD

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 1st, '08, 21:05

hi all. i just read somewhere that Euno Juri won best actress for acting in this series. that's great news really because i really think she acted very much like Nodame! :D

@musotaku:
Gah! I had to re-read, looking for that panel I just asked you about and feel angsty all over again… hehehe. My post may include rant, I’m sorry. I do hope you tell me your insights though. It is Chapter 98 page 8 according to onemanga. I think Nodame was about to speak to him.

--

I agree with your “key points” in their relationship. In my mind I am also listing them including that panel where:
-they hold hands
-Kuroki saw them hugging while Chiaki tells Nodame that he did her laundry
-Nodame asking Chiaki for a kiss, but he doesn’t want to give her one since she ate Natto, which to me means that they do kiss from time to time off-manga pages! :D

I can’t really conclude if they did the deed at San Malo. It is possible because if you remember the bathroom incident with Matsuda, Chiaki went inside the bathroom and placed a bucket on Matsuda’s head. How can he have the courage to go inside knowing she’s naked? Btw, did Matsuda see anything? Coz he said something about Venus. And see chapter 98 page 12. Nodame’s bra is on his bed while he lies awake. Though I’d probably conclude they did IT if I see panties…:D

Regarding your post, I don’t get it why Chiaki is hesitant to admit he likes Nodame. Please tell me why you think so. He’s had a girlfriend before so this thing is not new for him, unless he feels like she doesn’t fit the bill. Come to think of it, could it be because he feels that his father won’t approve of Nodame????????????

--

Where did the build up go? You tell me that vol 18 & 19 is still good. Then, it’s as if I read ch 96 through 106 and then, BAM!!! The mangaka forgot about it. WTF Tomoko-sensei….?

you see in ch 96 Nina told him that he should get a girlfriend. Now, guess what he said? Nothing! He did not tell her about Nodame. I really want to chop his head off! Again, Nina is somewhat related to his father. Could it be he did not tell her about Nodame because his father won’t approve of her?

Now, Tanya spoke with Nodame and told her, “your boyfriend’s gone without a trace. Usually you’d worry about him and feel lonely. But even when he was gone for 4 months you just seemed fine. Maybe you already forgot him.”

The following chapter Romeo & Juliet was mentioned, and Auclair called Nodame Juliet. At the same time she also tells Auclair that Chiaki is not affectionate.

Can you also explain this to me: Nodame calls Chiaki “tricky.” Why? Could it be because Chiaki did not tell her that he was going to play the piano? Or did he toy with the clock on purpose so she’d be late and not see his piano performance?

Ch 99 page 3-4, Nodame tells her teacher, Majino, that Chiaki doesn’t notice her, has surpassed her again, and deals with her carelessly.

In ch 99 page 8-10. focus on Nodame’s and Tanya’s response. I think Nodame has to make time for Chiaki. Are they drifting apart? Same with pp. 26-27, Ch 100 p 6 & p 25. and then p. 33, he moves out. Perhaps the scenario of waiting for Nodame to come in his room reminds him of his father?

Don’t tell me the answer to all these build up is in chapter 100 because honestly it seems LACKING to me. That’s it? Their drifting apart is answered by Nodame’s acceptance of moving out of his room? Isn’t it lame?

Then ch 102 p 30 happens. Who’s going to feed her? Wash her clothes? Clean her room? Seiko knows Chiaki is starting to become like his father. Then a few ch. More, Son Rui seems to really develop feelings for Chiaki, wanting to perform with him on stage. They even live in the same district now!

Lastly, he wasn’t able to go to her salon concert.

Again, where did the build up go if ch 18 & 19 doesn’t answer these chapters? *pulls my hair off*

wuff

Post by wuff » Feb 1st, '08, 21:48

intercostalspace wrote:hi all. i just read somewhere that Euno Juri won best actress for acting in this series. that's great news really because i really think she acted very much like Nodame! :D

@musotaku:
Gah! I had to re-read, looking for that panel I just asked you about and feel angsty all over again… hehehe. My post may include rant, I’m sorry. I do hope you tell me your insights though. It is Chapter 98 page 8 according to onemanga. I think Nodame was about to speak to him.

--

I agree with your “key points” in their relationship. In my mind I am also listing them including that panel where:
-they hold hands
-Kuroki saw them hugging while Chiaki tells Nodame that he did her laundry
-Nodame asking Chiaki for a kiss, but he doesn’t want to give her one since she ate Natto, which to me means that they do kiss from time to time off-manga pages! :D

I can’t really conclude if they did the deed at San Malo. It is possible because if you remember the bathroom incident with Matsuda, Chiaki went inside the bathroom and placed a bucket on Matsuda’s head. How can he have the courage to go inside knowing she’s naked? Btw, did Matsuda see anything? Coz he said something about Venus. And see chapter 98 page 12. Nodame’s bra is on his bed while he lies awake. Though I’d probably conclude they did IT if I see panties…:D

Regarding your post, I don’t get it why Chiaki is hesitant to admit he likes Nodame. Please tell me why you think so. He’s had a girlfriend before so this thing is not new for him, unless he feels like she doesn’t fit the bill. Come to think of it, could it be because he feels that his father won’t approve of Nodame????????????

--

Where did the build up go? You tell me that vol 18 & 19 is still good. Then, it’s as if I read ch 96 through 106 and then, BAM!!! The mangaka forgot about it. WTF Tomoko-sensei….?

you see in ch 96 Nina told him that he should get a girlfriend. Now, guess what he said? Nothing! He did not tell her about Nodame. I really want to chop his head off! Again, Nina is somewhat related to his father. Could it be he did not tell her about Nodame because his father won’t approve of her?

Now, Tanya spoke with Nodame and told her, “your boyfriend’s gone without a trace. Usually you’d worry about him and feel lonely. But even when he was gone for 4 months you just seemed fine. Maybe you already forgot him.”

The following chapter Romeo & Juliet was mentioned, and Auclair called Nodame Juliet. At the same time she also tells Auclair that Chiaki is not affectionate.

Can you also explain this to me: Nodame calls Chiaki “tricky.” Why? Could it be because Chiaki did not tell her that he was going to play the piano? Or did he toy with the clock on purpose so she’d be late and not see his piano performance?

Ch 99 page 3-4, Nodame tells her teacher, Majino, that Chiaki doesn’t notice her, has surpassed her again, and deals with her carelessly.

In ch 99 page 8-10. focus on Nodame’s and Tanya’s response. I think Nodame has to make time for Chiaki. Are they drifting apart? Same with pp. 26-27, Ch 100 p 6 & p 25. and then p. 33, he moves out. Perhaps the scenario of waiting for Nodame to come in his room reminds him of his father?

Don’t tell me the answer to all these build up is in chapter 100 because honestly it seems LACKING to me. That’s it? Their drifting apart is answered by Nodame’s acceptance of moving out of his room? Isn’t it lame?

Then ch 102 p 30 happens. Who’s going to feed her? Wash her clothes? Clean her room? Seiko knows Chiaki is starting to become like his father. Then a few ch. More, Son Rui seems to really develop feelings for Chiaki, wanting to perform with him on stage. They even live in the same district now!

Lastly, he wasn’t able to go to her salon concert.

Again, where did the build up go if ch 18 & 19 doesn’t answer these chapters? *pulls my hair off*

woahhh, it was such a long spoiler!!! :D
at the beginning you mentioned some good things, which made me very excited... thinking about kisses and panties... :wub: I also thought about them: I agree with you. But if I were Nodame, I would be very disappointed -like she was in chapter 72- if my boyfriend wouldn't admit/confess/regard me as his girlfriend, and even sounds it so intensely... poor Nodame... :cry:
Chiaki compensates his rude behaviour of course when he has some romantic manifestations, like the necklace... :wub:
(OMG! I begin to fall in love with the jealous Chiaki... :mrgreen: )

Somebody has already said that Ueno Juri and Tamaki Hiroshi would be tired of another Nodame season. I would understand their feelings, but I think it would be a great idea, if both of them would appear in a new drama together... :roll Well, what I want to say that I like all their dramas and movies. :)

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 1st, '08, 21:57

^wuff, perhaps after a couple of more volumes they'd do another special? :) btw, thanks to the subber!
so true, that's why i feel bad for Nodame. it would hurt me to the bones if my boyfriend denied me.

& you know that necklace... i have doubts about it. for all we know Chiaki may have said something like, "i am loaning you this" you know how rarely he gets romantic.

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 2nd, '08, 00:31

intercostalspace wrote:It is Chapter 98 page 8 according to onemanga. I think Nodame was about to speak to him.
I think that scene is open to multiple interpretations. What he says in Japanese is "kimochi warui". Something like, "I have a bad feeling [about it]." Or "[Something] gives me a bad feeling." He might have been disgusted by her outright, but I don't think he would have said "kimochi warui" in that case. I think he would have said something more rude.

Instead, it may be more like he has a bad premonition without having really noticed the cause of it (because a force that will someday transform his life has just anonymously passed by). Personally I take it as nearly the same initial reaction Chiaki had when he first met her. I don't mean to criticize the scanlators, because I am sure their Japanese is better than mine, but I detect humor in this scene in the original. Japanese is often open to multiple interpretations, and sometimes it is hard to get them all into a bubble of a scanlation.

Since you have read thru lesson 106, you have already read v. 18. The salon concert is the arc I was referring to. But I'll tell you now it continues into v. 19. What I liked so much about the way v. 18 ended is that Nodame showed she could knock 'em dead even when she was terribly troubled and disappointed by Chiaki's no-show. The other thing about v. 19 is that humor returns in buckets. (And Nodame gets in her licks at Chiaki, which is surprisingly gratifying.) The return of some old friends brings on barrels of laughter.

I think Chiaki is hesitant to mention Nodame to Nina-sensei because he knows Nina had a very bad first impression of Nodame (at the Nagano festival in Japan). I think he is hoping she'll have an opportunity to redeem herself in Nina's eyes without the need of prompting from him. You noticed that Nina recognized Nodame in the brief encounter with Chiaki's father.

If you are looking for the next big crescendo, I don't think we're anywhere near one, esp. for Chiaki and Nodame. But v.19 brings back laughter, and the end of salon concert arc is pretty satisfying to me.

You ask, why does Chiaki balk at throwing himself into the hentai forest. You have to remember who he is, and what he's trying to do. He is a conservative Japanese man from a wealthy family, and he wants to become a maestro. For both of those identities, appearances matter in spades. You can't be successful in either capacity if your wife bathes only once a week, turns your home into a dump, babbles incessantly about anime, and refuses to conduct herself with the proper decorum. I hate to be cruel, but this is the harsh world in which we (and they) live.

In Nodame's defense, she knows how to dress, her shambles at home never gets past her front door, she can charm anyone, she only acts crazy among friends, and she only talks about anime to her close friends that share her interest. The problem is, Chiaki has never taken the trouble to notice it. And the unkindest cut of all is that it is Chiaki's influence that has helped her become this way.

OmegaWeltall

Post by OmegaWeltall » Feb 2nd, '08, 03:15

Wow, manga discussion... It prompted me to register and join in... hope this isn't off-topic..
I read somewhere that Ninomiya-sensei writes "Nodame Cantabile" in "symphony form": 4 movements. I still browse high and low where I'd read that info, but if you look at lesson 72, page 2 (where Nodame were seen wearing the necklace for the first time), there's the caption "third movement". So far (up to vol. 19) I haven't found any mention of next movement. So I presume the current installments are still part of 3rd movement.

Maybe we should "analyse" Nodame Cantabile with that in mind too. So far, I think, Ninomiya-sensei pretty much has been consistent with the "theme-and-variation" involved.

The dorama has adapted the first movement: two contrasting themes (Chiaki and Nodame) and their development, with a foresight of the goal: Golden Pair, romantically and musically. Too bad, aside from the first Mozart piece and Rachmaninoff's piano concerto, we didn't see much of Nodame and Chiaki playing music together. But in manga, there are more of those. I believe it'll be reprised in the last movement of the story, with added sophistication, that is.

So in between the first and last movement, we should see how Chiaki and Nodame grow to become Golden Pair, in romance and music. What I think of the latest arcs is that, Chiaki has admitted his romantic feelings for Nodame , he still hasn't considered her as an equal in music. This is something that Nodame has been well aware of. She has learned that in Chiaki's book, collaborating with Viera-sensei and his dad (though he won't admit it), moving on with his career, and polishing Roux-Marlett come first.
I think, this is what Ninomiya-sensei is trying to solve: to get Chiaki to see Nodame as musical partner.

This has been slow, I admit. Is it because the the "third movement" in symphony may be a slow piece? Then, patience is gold.

Why then Chiaki moved out? Yeah! I think having another separation, which has been a regular plot device in first and second movement, is a bit too much. They have become romantic partner, so throwing in third parties (Son Rui, and some rivals for Chiaki) is expected. And maybe, throwing in third party, in musical arc, eg. Nodame having her first piano concerto with ... I don't know... Jean or Matsuda, or maybe Milch or Viera-sensei conducting, might propel Chiaki to see her differently...

Though The special-lesson "disrupted" the symphonic-structure, it, on its own right, is a solid piece.
wuff wrote:Somebody has already said that Ueno Juri and Tamaki Hiroshi would be tired of another Nodame season. I would understand their feelings, but I think it would be a great idea, if both of them would appear in a new drama together... Roll Eyes Well, what I want to say that I like all their dramas and movies.
I have different concern regarding Tamaki-kun and Juri-chan reprising their roles for future stories: by then, they both may have been too old... :cry:

*typos edited*

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 2nd, '08, 05:05

OmegaWeltall wrote:I have different concern regarding Tamaki-kun and Juri-chan reprising their roles for future stories: by then, they both may have been too old...
But remember, Nodame and Chiaki are aging as well. If the wiki here is correct, Ueno is only 22 this year, yet in the manga Nodame is already 24. Tamaki is definitely older (twenty-eight), but that's only 2-3 years older than Chiaki at this point. I don't see it as a big deal, esp. if they create a new special by summer of 09 (which is the soonest I could imagine it happening).

I like your analysis of the manga as a symphony. I feel the manga right now is right in the middle where there is still no light at the end of the tunnel. It is the diciest moment for Chiaki and Nodame, when they could be in serious danger of breaking up. It reminds me of one of my other favorite mangas, Maison Ikkoku. The summer of Godai's junior year of college he and Kyoko seriously came within inches of going their separate ways. It was only Godai's grandmother that saved them. I wonder who could save Nodame and Chiaki.

The manga is right at that end-of-the-middle moment, when everything seems really muddled. But even so, I hope it goes another 19 volumes. :w00t:

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 2nd, '08, 05:45

musotaku wrote:
intercostalspace wrote:It is Chapter 98 page 8 according to onemanga. I think Nodame was about to speak to him.
I think that scene is open to multiple interpretations. What he says in Japanese is "kimochi warui". Something like, "I have a bad feeling [about it]." Or "[Something] gives me a bad feeling." He might have been disgusted by her outright, but I don't think he would have said "kimochi warui" in that case. I think he would have said something more rude.

Instead, it may be more like he has a bad premonition without having really noticed the cause of it (because a force that will someday transform his life has just anonymously passed by). Personally I take it as nearly the same initial reaction Chiaki had when he first met her. I don't mean to criticize the scanlators, because I am sure their Japanese is better than mine, but I detect humor in this scene in the original. Japanese is often open to multiple interpretations, and sometimes it is hard to get them all into a bubble of a scanlation.

Since you have read thru lesson 106, you have already read v. 18. The salon concert is the arc I was referring to. But I'll tell you now it continues into v. 19. What I liked so much about the way v. 18 ended is that Nodame showed she could knock 'em dead even when she was terribly troubled and disappointed by Chiaki's no-show. The other thing about v. 19 is that humor returns in buckets. (And Nodame gets in her licks at Chiaki, which is surprisingly gratifying.) The return of some old friends brings on barrels of laughter.

I think Chiaki is hesitant to mention Nodame to Nina-sensei because he knows Nina had a very bad first impression of Nodame (at the Nagano festival in Japan). I think he is hoping she'll have an opportunity to redeem herself in Nina's eyes without the need of prompting from him. You noticed that Nina recognized Nodame in the brief encounter with Chiaki's father.

If you are looking for the next big crescendo, I don't think we're anywhere near one, esp. for Chiaki and Nodame. But v.19 brings back laughter, and the end of salon concert arc is pretty satisfying to me.

You ask, why does Chiaki balk at throwing himself into the hentai forest. You have to remember who he is, and what he's trying to do. He is a conservative Japanese man from a wealthy family, and he wants to become a maestro. For both of those identities, appearances matter in spades. You can't be successful in either capacity if your wife bathes only once a week, turns your home into a dump, babbles incessantly about anime, and refuses to conduct herself with the proper decorum. I hate to be cruel, but this is the harsh world in which we (and they) live.

In Nodame's defense, she knows how to dress, her shambles at home never gets past her front door, she can charm anyone, she only acts crazy among friends, and she only talks about anime to her close friends that share her interest. The problem is, Chiaki has never taken the trouble to notice it. And the unkindest cut of all is that it is Chiaki's influence that has helped her become this way.
so you think in time Nodame will change for Chiaki in that aspect? (taking a bath, a least being a little neat, etc)? i was also thinking earlier how he could possibly make love to someone who doesn't like to take a bath... hehehe :D

so you feel that it will take quite a while for this manga to come full circle huh? *sigh*

your right about your last paragraph. i didn't notice it either nor did Chiaki. :D thanks for sharing your thoughts on these...
Last edited by intercostalspace on Feb 2nd, '08, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Feb 2nd, '08, 05:46

intercostalspace wrote:hi all. i just read somewhere that Euno Juri won best actress for acting in this series. that's great news really because i really think she acted very much like Nodame! :D
The original series won a number of awards, in Japan and Korea:

51st Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Drama
51st Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actress: Ueno Juri
51st Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Director: Takeuchi Hideki
51st Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Musical Arrangement: Takeuchi Hideki
51st Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Opening: Hattori Takayuki

2nd Seoul Drama Awards: Best Miniseries
2nd Seoul Drama Awards: Best Director: Takeuchi Hideki
2nd Seoul Drama Awards: Best Music

wuff

Post by wuff » Feb 2nd, '08, 08:13

musotaku wrote:I like your analysis of the manga as a symphony. I feel the manga right now is right in the middle where there is still no light at the end of the tunnel. It is the diciest moment for Chiaki and Nodame, when they could be in serious danger of breaking up. ... I wonder who could save Nodame and Chiaki.

The manga is right at that end-of-the-middle moment, when everything seems really muddled. But even so, I hope it goes another 19 volumes. :w00t:

I really hold those people in veneration, who can understand music so perfectly that they find (or realize mainly) the real meaning or story beside the everyday occurrences. I always like listening their opinion, tales and reality. Thus I am really happy for being able to read -all my friends here- your thoughts. :)

I hope the same that there will be another 19 volumes in the future :D and they will be available for those (like me :roll :cry: ) who can't buy the mangas, just read them online or download the scans.

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 2nd, '08, 09:15

@ musotaku and others who want spoilers, i saw vol 19 raws.
Chiaki went somewhere with Jean & gf. i think even when Nodame gets as famous or even more famous than Chiaki (which i actually think will happen!) they won't get to travel together like Jean & gf.

anyway, she is seating again on that damn kotatsu! will someone please take that away? throw it, burn it, whatever... it's the cause of her messy room! and who would want to take a bath when you feel so comfortably lazy beside the kotatsu? i hope Tanya or Seiko helps her with that bad habbit. she should be practiving instead of staring at Chiaki's picture.

oh, that curry incident you mentioned a few posts ago was indeed funny. i actually laughed out load when i read that 40-year-old guy writhing in pain and Tanya telling herself that she can still play 2 more measures before fainting... :D you know what's funnier actually? Nodame telling them that it's not the curry because nothing happened to her!!!

i want to say too that i am looking forward to seeing more Lucas in the story because i think he adores Nodame and accepts her as she is. he was even asking if Nodame likes flowers. i think he is portrayed as a good-looking kid here since Tanya said he should hurry growing up while embracing him. HAHA come to think of it, it seems Lucas has helped Nodame with her studies and some other things...

do you have any more ideas or panels you want to discuss? :)

OmegaWeltall

Post by OmegaWeltall » Feb 2nd, '08, 11:46

musotaku wrote:I like your analysis of the manga as a symphony. I feel the manga right now is right in the middle where there is still no light at the end of the tunnel. It is the diciest moment for Chiaki and Nodame, when they could be in serious danger of breaking up. It reminds me of one of my other favorite mangas, Maison Ikkoku. The summer of Godai's junior year of college he and Kyoko seriously came within inches of going their separate ways. It was only Godai's grandmother that saved them. I wonder who could save Nodame and Chiaki.

Yes, another 19 volumes, please, but with a happy-ending. Because.... eventhough I have faith that the Golden Pair moment is just a matter of time and the series will end in happy tone, I haven't ruled out "tragedy" for Nodame Cantabile. Recently, our Golden Pair reminds me of Robert and Clara Schumann (Clara Wieck), a composer, conductor, music critic and theorist and his incredible-pianist wife. And Lucas struck me as Brahms-like character in the picture, having close (and respectable affection) relationship with Mrs. Schumann. Anyway, I hope the similarities stop right there because Robert Schumann suffered many physical and mental illness, and had an early death.... Oh, well.
Another 19 volumes might mean reading them up to their 30s? I don't mind that. Their journey so far has been engaging.
I feel the same way re the manga. I'm still mulling over Nodame's dream of Murail's "La Manndragore", at the beginning of vol. 18, and that part... "if you miss the night of full moon, you won't be able to come back here..."

Ninomiya-sensei now explores more fundamental matters in the recent installments. Each one now feels neglected by the other, in one way or another, yet they never talk about that. Ciaki moving out is a symptom. Nodame, in her own way, knows that. But she can do nothing because Chiaki himself won't talk. This might be the arc in which Chiaki's dad issue will be addressed. Sometimes I have the urge to knock Chiaki's head. He shoved Nodame away when he had problems, yet lamented the loneliness whenever she wasn't around. And contrary to Chiaki's complaint that she's leeching on him, Nodame can be an escapist sometimes. She ran way from problems. She avoided reading scores that Milch and Chiaki then told her to start facing them up front. She gave up piano when she failed the concours and ran away to her hometown. Luckily, she's not a quitter. Her love for music and piano prevailed.................. IF Chiaki and Nodame didn't solve this neglect and abandonment issue, particularly, and improve their "metacommunication" style, Chiaki and Nodame would be in serious danger of going their separate ways.

Maybe, one of the problem is that up until the moment they met, each had been alone, and used to being alone, in each one's journey for so long, too long. Nodame, branded a weirdo even by her loving family, still manage the struggle to play the piano by herself. Chiaki, caught up in his own little world of grief for his travelling-phobia, still managed to study conducting on his own. I think they better start struggling together... else...

Re the beginning of vol. 19: Is he drunk when he comes to her ? I'm not sure Nodame deems Chiaki redeemed for not turning up at the saloon party. And She escapes once again when Chiaki tells her that he's is going to perform with Son Rui and Wiltord in May.... *good-timing Lucas, and Robert-san!*.... I just feel bad for her there...

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 2nd, '08, 13:07

^OmegaWeltall, my sentiments exactly!!!

wow. thanks for that trivia. i hope not too. but no i don't like another 19 volumes of Nodame. I'm so sorry, i don't have that kind of patience. if their relationship is still like that when they're in their 30s, i won't call it a romantic relationship at all. it would be something like a really close friendship...with benefits.
do you guys think Nodame will miss the night of the full moon?

CLEAR communication is the foundation i seem to doubt they have. it could also be that the mangaka threw all the energy at writing the comedy and so forgot about this simple but important aspect. or as mentioned by musotaku earlier, the manga was just extended. or the mangaka just has poor writing skills when it comes to serious talking because there isn't any necklace-giving episode/panel.

as i've said before, i think if not for Nodame's love for Chiaki, he can be replaced by a house help or a butler, but musotaku disagrees with me on this. though i understand musotaku too, if Chiaki can do these things for free, we could count that as affection towards Nodame. so, i totally agree with that 2nd paragraph up there. i think they are both guilty of pushing one another away but missing them after.

Chiaki had a previous girlfriend who he openly talks to about his troubles in the beginning though I remember she dumped him because she felt he was a loser. now, why can't Chiaki be as open to Nodame? i don't know how they could struggle together, they seem to do fine or better and do a heck of a lot more things when they are NOT together--at least that's how i view it based on the story telling; exactly the reason why i have this doubt...mmm....

i want to say too that after 19 volumes, Chiaki pushing Nodame out the door and taking her for granted in front of others is not funny anymore. i'm sure the mangaka is creative enough to think of other ways to make the readers laugh...i hope...

about vol 19. can anyone explain more since i just saw the raw? did Chiaki apologize? how did Nodame take it when Chiaki told her about that Son Rui thing? what do you mean good timing Lucas and Robert? (Who again if Robert? i forget who he is) why did you feel bad for her?

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 2nd, '08, 14:46

intercostalspace wrote:@ musotaku and others who want spoilers, i saw vol 19 raws.
If you are looking for v. 19 spoilers, I posted a bunch back around p. 58. Here is a complete summary:
Nodame is really pissed at Chiaki, but that gets fixed (at least for now) by him asking her to go to Vienna with him. (Mahler's Resurrection Symphony helps, too.)

The best parts of the trip to Vienna are Kyora's first time to meet Nodame. (I was slightly startled to realize Kyora never met Nodame in Japan.) Also while in a restaurant, Nodame picks up a knife and does a very cutting (and hilarious) imitation of Chiaki conducting an orchestra rehearsal, embarrassing him in front of Kyora, Jean, and Yuko. (But he bears up with good humor.) Kyora and Nodame take to each other very well. (There are a large number of manga panels devoted to sightseeing in Vienna, going to all the various composers' houses.)

The rest of v. 19 focuses on two key side relationships: Kuroki and Tanya (and also Tanya's competition bid) and Kyora and (wait for it) Mine! That's right. One fine day Mine waltzes into Paris spouting phrases from a French primer and acting like he owns the place. He shows up at Nodame's doorstep, and their 2-yr reunion is absolutely priceless. A few days later, Chiaki returns from his trip to Italy, and that reunion is also priceless.

Kyora has also come to Paris to compete in the same competition as Tanya (but obviously in a different division). Mine has come to watch, but since he knows Kyora does not want him there (because her previous competitions have ended in failure) he swears Chiaki and Nodame into secrecy about him being there. After all that, though, he manages to get the time wrong and miss her first round.

V. 19 ended with both Kyora and Tanya surviving early rounds of the competition.
About the state of the manga in general.
After reading comments on this forum and reviewing key panels, I think Chiaki and Nodame are a true couple since San Malo. Ninomiya hasn't rubbed our noses in it, but (for example) Chiaki has a key to walk into her place any time he wants. (He has a key anyway, as landlord, but I don't think he would feel so free to use it if they weren't a couple.) Also, Nodame is perfectly happy to answer the door for Chiaki wearing only a towel. Given her maturity level since college days, I am now thinking she would not do this if she weren't used to being naked around him.

But being a couple does not mean that Chiaki has committed himself to her any more than he had to his other girlfriend. And I have seen signs that Nodame may seriously question why she hangs on to him.

I feel sure the Golden Pair performance will happen at some point. Whether they survive as a couple is an open question. I was joking about it lasting another 19 vols, but I can't see it having less than another 3 vols, because it will definitely get Nodame through her final year at the Conservatoire, and the pace right now is 1 vol. per 6 months. I tend to think it could go longer than that.

Ohoho. Nodame as Clara Schumann, Chiaki as Robert, and Lucas as Brahms. A very interesting idea. Someone has his thinking cap on. But of course, Robert went insane from syphilis (and it killed him young). You can hardly think that will happen to Chiaki. Lucas could grow up and steal Nodame's heart, and if he did, would that be such a tragedy? For Chiaki perhaps, but not Nodame.

If you have heard any of Tristan Murail's music, it is enough to give anyone strange dreams. I was too busy laughing at that panel to assign it the significance it probably deserves.

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 2nd, '08, 14:58

intercostalspace wrote:^OmegaWeltall, my sentiments exactly!!!

wow. thanks for that trivia. i hope not too. but no i don't like another 19 volumes of Nodame. I'm so sorry, i don't have that kind of patience. if their relationship is still like that when they're in their 30s, i won't call it a romantic relationship at all. it would be something like a really close friendship...with benefits.
did Chiaki apologize? how did Nodame take it when Chiaki told her about that Son Rui thing? what do you mean good timing Lucas and Robert? (Who again if Robert? i forget who he is) why did you feel bad for her?
Chiaki apologized profusely, but Nodame didn't buy it. Nodame acted like the Son Rui thing was no big deal (but that was probably a lie). Right when he tells her, Lucas suddenly calls and she runs off to school together with him. (Lucas's good timing.) That's classic Nodame, running away when she is unhappy.

Robert is Robert Schumann. The idea is that Nodame is like Clara Schumann, Chiaki like Robert Schumann, and Lucas like Johannes Brahms. For more info, you can probably find a summary at Wikipedia.

OmegaWeltall

Post by OmegaWeltall » Feb 2nd, '08, 17:19

intercostalspace wrote:
CLEAR communication is the foundation i seem to doubt they have. it could also be that the mangaka threw all the energy at writing the comedy and so forgot about this simple but important aspect. or as mentioned by musotaku earlier, the manga was just extended. or the mangaka just has poor writing skills when it comes to serious talking because there isn't any necklace-giving episode/panel.
Hmm... it's something that the mangaka just has to explain, sooner or later. And since I consider the current installments (> vol.15) part of a "third movement" of symphonic-structured story, which apparetly is a "slow movement" (part of symphonies I put on extra-patience and will to endure), I've seen it coming as early as vol. 2 or vol. 3. It's there under the radar, hidden by the slapstick humour and comedy, embedded by the characters' traits. I think, Ninomiya-sensei has been building the tension (on the neglect and commucation issue). We've learnt the problem early on: Chiaki Sr., his lost memory of the grandfather on the plane, etc... Nodame's weirdness, her otakuness, and, etc.

The problem seems to be the timing to explain. Is it more acceptable if the issue is addressed earlier in the story? I must admit that the slow-pacing is sometimes eating me, but I think the current setting is sound enough: Chiaki is starting to invest emotionally on his relationship with Nodame, though he definitely needs to be more appreciative of her. He too, is climbing up his career as professional musician. The setting has the potential to recreate the conflict his father might once have: too caught up with his music, he abandoned his family (though we have yet to see the whole picture).

Same thing with Nodame, I think. as musotaku wrote:
And I have seen signs that Nodame may seriously question why she hangs on to him.

I sensed that too. The saloon-concert incident probably rang a louder wake up call for her. She might have reached new tolerance level on Chiaki's unappreciativeness (is that a word?), insensitivity, and seemingly looking down at her, that is unknown to mankind...

The setting has the potential for interesting drama... I just hope the mangaka manage to hit the right notes, and tie all the lose ends.
intercostalspace wrote: as i've said before, i think if not for Nodame's love for Chiaki, he can be replaced by a house help or a butler, but musotaku disagrees with me on this. though i understand musotaku too, if Chiaki can do these things for free, we could count that as affection towards Nodame. so, i totally agree with that 2nd paragraph up there. i think they are both guilty of pushing one another away but missing them after.
...funny that you mention Chiaki's role can be replaced by a butler. I can easily buy that. The starting page of Lesson 106 featured Nodame with the butler fixing her make up juxtaposed Viera-sensei and Chiaki...

musotaku wrote: After reading comments on this forum and reviewing key panels, I think Chiaki and Nodame are a true couple since San Malo. Ninomiya hasn't rubbed our noses in it, but (for example) Chiaki has a key to walk into her place any time he wants. (He has a key anyway, as landlord, but I don't think he would feel so free to use it if they weren't a couple.) Also, Nodame is perfectly happy to answer the door for Chiaki wearing only a towel. Given her maturity level since college days, I am now thinking she would not do this if she weren't used to being naked around him.
At first it baffled me why people question that. I thought the San Malo's kiss aftermath should probably go without saying.
But, then Auclair-sensei still calls Nodame baby-chan. His assessment on her playing Debussy's Isle of Joy at the concours sounds like someone who could tell she has yet to experience the earthly fire, thus the "baby-chan" remark. I don't know... but I think they are not yet "true" couple.

Tristan Murail' La Mandragore. There's probably little significance in it. It just happens that whenever Murail's name comes up, my mind jumps to FFT, frequency/ amplitudo modulation, wavelength, etc....and then there's the lines "watch the chords! and rhythms!" and the spiral staircases do look like wave... and to me that's read "asynchronized/synchronized communication" problem....

The Schumann connection. Just an idea that started when Nodame practiced that Schumann piece for the concours. She was having that talk with "virtual" Schumann (with fingers transmitting electrical charges) that I had an epiphany of the Schumann household. Mrs. Schumann might have posed similar questions as Nodame did. And then in this Paris Arc, Lucas showed up, way younger than Nodame and had a crush on her... tada, another epiphany!

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 2nd, '08, 17:44

OmegaWeltall wrote:
[She might have reached new tolerance level on Chiaki's unappreciativeness (is that a word?), insensitivity, and seemingly looking down at her
Great comments. About the above:

In v. 19 Nodame (for the first time I can remember) heavily parodies Chiaki not once but twice, and both times reveal a rather intense recognition of how he mistreats her and others around him. Those lampoons are heavily barbed, and though acted in jest they are definitely meant in earnest. (I still LMAO at them, though.)

I think since the salon concert she has grown *less* tolerant of Chiaki's attitude, and she is showing signs of being willing to consider letting him go.

(I think "unappreciativeness" is a word.)

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 2nd, '08, 17:55

i don't think i have mentioned this before, i think the writers of the SP did a great job in summarizing the chapters including changing some parts to fit the special, like Nodame flipping her hair like Son Rui, Chiaki hugging Nodame instead of kissing her, using Kuroki to substitute Yunlong, etc.

@musotaku:
you said, "But of course, Robert went insane from syphilis (and it killed him young). You can hardly think that will happen to Chiaki. Lucas could grow up and steal Nodame's heart, and if he did, would that be such a tragedy? For Chiaki perhaps, but not Nodame."

-- i think so too. though i am not a fan of May-December affairs, if NodamexLucas happens, i don't see any reason why it won't work. Lucas doesn't seem to be giving her heartaches, offers her to eat dinner with his family since her cook (Chiaki) is not available. on top of that i recall Lucas looking disappointed when Nodame did not eat with him on Christmas, and now he even takes her away from her worries.

a few chapters back we saw Lucas had a growth spurt. i'm quite curious now whether that info is important or just simply fluff. he even held his hand and compared it to Nodame, then intertwined--i think, correct me if i am wrong--his fingers with her. OR... i could just be reading too much into it. :D
oh btw, i am enjoying reading your comments and insights. thanks! :)

i just read about Robert, Clara, & Brahms as mentioned by OmegaWeltall. it's quite tragic really: "Also, the proximity of their two pianos often made it impossible for Robert and Clara to work at home simultaneously; they distracted each other."

I hope we're wrong in thinking that this might be a parallel to Nodame Cantabile.

OmegaWeltall

Post by OmegaWeltall » Feb 3rd, '08, 01:32

I should say too... It's been fun discussing the manga here with you guys...

Among the manga/manhwa/book-adapted doramas/k-dramas I've seen so far (not much, but I've watched major ones in these past two years), Nodame Cantabile (dorama+specials) tops the chart. The scriptwriting definitely deserves the credit. I normally fret over manga/book adaptations for their "summarizing" and alteration, but I'm content with Nodame Cantabile's. There are parts that I would've liked to see in both dorama and specials: the "jazzier" Nodame, Nodame's interesting viewpoint of "proper curry" and Bach's formality, Chiaki's family background of course. But considering the time and space constraint, I "forgive" the production...

I read that Ninomiya-sensei is deeply involved in the process. I wonder if it's because the dorama concerns "classical" music, which means... playing by following the score (manga) as written and intended by the composer.... :P
musotaku wrote:In v. 19 Nodame (for the first time I can remember) heavily parodies Chiaki not once but twice [...]
Plus, in Wien, Nodame has started taking shots of the sceneries (not Chiaki) properly! :mrgreen: THAT definitely should tell us something?! I laughed at the contrast that Kiyora capturing pictures of Chiaki (per Mine's request, apparently) is put adjacent to it.
intercostalspace wrote:I hope we're wrong in thinking that this might be a parallel to Nodame Cantabile.
No... I don't think The Schumann story would be a parallel to Nodame Cantabile. I just find the similarities interesting. Don't let it trouble you.... :P
Last edited by OmegaWeltall on Feb 3rd, '08, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 3rd, '08, 02:37

You guys might want to check out this website:

http://www.din.or.jp/~nino/main.html

Clicking on the Information link takes you to a blog-page in Japanese that shows all the Nodame calendar events for this month all the way back to August. Some of the entries are in English, though, especially the listings for each new chapter of NC as it appears in Kiss. (This month will see the publication of Lessons 119 and 120.) Ninomiya seems to be on a 2 chapters per month roll recently.

The last chapter of v. 19 was Lesson 112, which appeared in Kiss in late August. V. 19 appeared in early Nov. On that schedule we might expect to see v. 20 in early March, since Lesson 118 was in Kiss in late Dec. (I'm assuming they stay with the 6-lessons-per-book format.)

BTW: the Info page also shows lots of non-manga events, like the Jan. SP dorama. Also concerts of NC music, and the release of a NC game for the Wii. Most of those entries are in Japanese, though.

marienne

Post by marienne » Feb 3rd, '08, 18:03

did Chiaki apologize? how did Nodame take it when Chiaki told her about that Son Rui thing? what do you mean good timing Lucas and Robert? (Who again if Robert? i forget who he is) why did you feel bad for her?
that's from ch107 : i agree with the answer that Chiaki apologizes profusely, but Nodame was still mad at him because two days after this incident when they came back from Viera's concert she said that Chiaki was still not allowed to come to her room so Chiaki was surprised and said "You're still mad at me".
And i don't think that she was upset because Chiaki will play with Rui, but more because he told her that from now on he wanted to go to Italy as often as he could so that he could learn from Viera, so she said in her mind that "their time together will decrease more", at that time her cell phone ring and Robert, Madame Lanbelle's buttler who help her for the salon concert, calls her to have some news because she walked alone to come home after the concert in the night so he was worried, and just after his phone Lucas came so she went with him at conservatory, and Chiaki gets a little jealous, he said when he saw Lucas "Oh, it's just a kid, i can't be relieved with this..." :lol

If you want to have the raws and the summaries of ch 107 til 118 (= vol 19 and 20) you have to come here http://community.livejournal.com/the_s_orchestra/ and then register, that will allow you to see the hidden entries, and then chose the tags scan and summary to be able to see them, they also have the translation of ch 107!!

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 3rd, '08, 18:43

^marienne: thank you! i keep visiting that livejournal group but not joining. well now i know! :D
oh, so Robert is the butler! he and Lucas is sooooo going to steal Nodame away from Chiaki (HAHA) because well... i've said it in my previous posts, you might have read it already. :)
OmegaWeltall wrote:
Plus, in Wien, Nodame has started taking shots of the sceneries (not Chiaki) properly! :mrgreen: THAT definitely should tell us something?! I laughed at the contrast that Kiyora capturing pictures of Chiaki (per Mine's request, apparently) is put adjacent to it.
thanks for telling me.
i think as far as Nodame's character is concerned, this is good news. wasn't there a panel in previous chapters where Chiaki was thinking something like, "she didn't come for dinner, she's probably not home yet" but then on the succeeding frames Nodame was shown looking at her cupboard finding something to eat?

i hope Nodame is maturing/growing up NOT growing out of love. if it is the latter, how will Chiaki go about "not losing sight of her" puzzles me if the hints are so subtle for him to realize.

or as mostaku said before, someone is going to be saving them. i'm not sure what happened in the manga, but in the series Mine did the saving i think by making an excuse for him to follow Nodame in her hometown.

i don't really want the "saving" to happen. personally, i want Chiaki to realize the changes and do something about it.

what i don't like about their relationship is that it feels like a long-distance relationship to me.

marienne

Post by marienne » Feb 3rd, '08, 21:57

:-) you're welcome intercostalspace!! i had the raws but i could'nt understand the japanese, so when people are talking about this Live journal i came to see, and i spend so much time in it to find myself the summaries!!! so if i'm glad if i could help you!!! :cheers:
i don't think that Lucas will steal Nodame away from Chiaki, he's only 14 so 10 years younger than her, and plus nodame don't see him like that, for now she only have Chiaki in mind.

And after reading the raws up to ch 118 i was a little relieved about Nodame and Chiaki relationship:
in the ch 116 you'll see that Nodame is more mature than Chiaki thinks and he realizes that, i was so touched by Nodame and also felt sad about her because she's depressed and had enough of Chiaki's pity and that everyone is not taking her serious, but their relationship become more serious because in the end of this chapter he decided to help her study, and in ch 117 he moved back in his old appartment...so they're living together!!!! :wub: and in ch 118 they're are closer as ever...but in the end
Nodame has en argue with him because he's hurrying her too much for her study so she's telling him that until his concert with Rui she wanted to be alone so Chiaki was shocked :goggle: and to tell you the truth i'm waiting for the ch 119 next week i'm a little worried for the two of them!!!! They have to save their couple themselves, but with their work they're busy and have so much pressure...i hope that they can make it.

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 4th, '08, 04:03

^thanks. thanks. thanks again!
i know Lucas x Nodame isn't going to happen for real but i just love kidding about it!!! Chiaki's ego would probably deflate about, i don't know, 1000 times? :w00t:

that spoiler was great. so he moved back e? living together? :unsure: in separate studios still or did Nodame move into Chiaki's when he left?

i think we'll know through Yoda if and when Nodame has truly matured.
i can't wait for ch 107-118 to be translated *sigh*

marienne

Post by marienne » Feb 4th, '08, 12:04

Chiaki planed on going to Italy but he didn't go because he wanted to help Nodame, and he's living with her in his old appartment, his family's appartment (Chiaki's mother let Nodame live in it since Chiaki moved in an another place in vol 18), but i don't think that in the next chapter they are going on like that, since Nodame told him that she wanted to be alone for her study :-( so they probably will live in their own appartment.

zyerath

Post by zyerath » Feb 4th, '08, 12:14

Did this storyline on SP really happen in the comic, or the producer just made it up, can sumbody dat reads the comic clear on this?

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 4th, '08, 17:26

^The series and special DID HAPPEN in the manga. the spoilers above, happened AFTER the Special.

the series and special was faithful to the manga except for some really tiny tiny things. in my opinion, they (series & SP writers) did a great job summarizing the manga. you may still want to read the manga if you want; if you do so, there will be additional entertaining info.

silentelysium

Post by silentelysium » Feb 5th, '08, 12:33

Hi everyone!

I recently watch the SP in Europe and it was fabulous. Not to mention how greatly done the soft sub in English which I downloaded from here.

Anyway, has there been any news of the second season for Nodame Cantabile? I haven't really heard anything about a next season. Would anyone like to shed some light for me on that?

Cheers

S. Elysium

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 7th, '08, 10:46

^as far as i know/heard, no news for a second season yet :cry:

Jakofan

Post by Jakofan » Feb 10th, '08, 22:10

I love Nodame Cantabile!!! I didn't know there was a SP, how long it is? Where can I find it? :w00t:

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 11th, '08, 09:47

^ try veoh.com; that's where i watched it.

OmegaWeltall

Post by OmegaWeltall » Feb 11th, '08, 14:12

I watched the Grammy performance of Herbie Hancock and Lang Lang, the Chinese classical pianist, performing Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" with orchestra :thumright: , and I couldn't help smiling, thinking of "Nodame Cantabile".... about the possible Golden Pair performing the same piece with New York Philharmonic....

Hahaha. This manga & dorama have infiltrated my musical space.......... :mrgreen: :glare:

Le Bebe

Post by Le Bebe » Feb 11th, '08, 15:45

Hello guys...I'm a newbies here...thanks so much for the info, reviews, etc....those are great helps for me....coz i'm dying to find any info about volume 19 and above. The last volume that I read was 18, and I was crying desperately because Chiaki moved out from the apartment and agreed to have a concert with Rui....T_T T_T T_T

I've watched the SP and really wish that there will be the second season....anyway....I don't wat the manga goes until 30 or more volumes....please don't make that happen coz I will definetely dying from waiting....glad to meet you all....cheers for chiaki sempai and nodame, and also for all Nodame Cantabile FANS here.....^^

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Feb 11th, '08, 16:56

Le Bebe wrote:coz i'm dying to find any info about volume 19 and above.
There's tons of manga spoilers in the preceding few of pages of this thread. Also, look for the livejournal link that will give you access to more NC goodness than you can possibly imagine.

Le Bebe

Post by Le Bebe » Feb 12th, '08, 17:56

Thanks a lot Musotaku...gonna check the out soon.....

intercostalspace

Post by intercostalspace » Feb 12th, '08, 22:31

@OmegaWeltall, thank you for telling us. i just watched it at YouTube. It reminded me of Kuroki, Nodame, Chiaki, & Son Rui; exactly in that order. though i have to say i immensely enjoyed Nodame-in-a-costume version. :D

musotaku

Real Conductor whose professional career matches Chiaki's

Post by musotaku » Feb 24th, '08, 01:39

CBS 60 Minutes last week ran a segment on the 27-yr-old Venezuelan conductor Gustavo Dudamel who has just been named the new director of the LA Phil. The 1st part of the segment is at

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video ... d=3841774n

Dudamel's professional career matches Chiaki's in many ways. He was a child prodigy on the violin who wanted to be a conductor. He started out conducting his youth orchestra. He won an important conducting prize at an unusually young age, and suddenly his international career took off.

His personal story is quite different. (He grew up on the mean streets.)

One of the coolest scenes in the 60 Minutes segment is when Dudamel is rehearsing with the Vienna Phil, and watching the jaded old farts in that orchestra warm up to the fact that he is more than just another young upstart. It reminds a lot of various scenes in NC, especially NC in Europe, although Chiaki's style is quite different than Dudamel's.

Anyway, enjoy.