[Discussion] Nodame Cantabile and also its SP in Europe

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Ginoru

Post by Ginoru » Jan 4th, '08, 23:36

We already have the behind the scenes torrent YAY!! Hope the first half of the special will be out soon!!

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Jan 5th, '08, 00:16

If anybody can download on Clubbox, it's out already on there. :D I can't wait for the special. There's already some positive stuff about it. :lol

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Jan 5th, '08, 00:23

Yah, after the series ended I started reading the manga (now just waiting for each chapter to come out) and I am really excited and wondering what they're going to come out with next

wink

Post by wink » Jan 5th, '08, 01:00

tsurashi313 wrote:If anybody can download on Clubbox, it's out already on there. :D I can't wait for the special. There's already some positive stuff about it. :lol
what's the name of the clubbox?

wachi

Post by wachi » Jan 5th, '08, 01:03

kangjegu's clubbox. keep in mind, there are also two version of the behind the scene, you want the 1.8GB which is our regular 704x396 version.

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Jan 5th, '08, 02:14

wink, There's yrere, mknkshm, and towa as well. And like what wachi said, usually dl the 704 size. XD
If you don't have a CB account, you can use: http://down.clubbox.co.kr/yrere/x0t1f
But I'm assuming you do. :D
It's out on torrent! Yay thanks to Xraymind. :wub:

JlovesVan

Post by JlovesVan » Jan 5th, '08, 02:51

I purchased the dvd set of Nodame Cantabile after hearing what a fantastic J-drama it was but I have not been able to make it past episode 3. I think I am the only one on the planet who doesn't seem to be enjoying this drama. I am going to keep watching it but I find it hard to go back to. Maybe it is a bit "slap stick" for me or maybe it is the bad wigs and mustaches but something is just not clicking for me. I do love the main actor and he is extremely good looking :) but.....can someone tell me if the character development gets more in depth as it goes?

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Jan 5th, '08, 03:50

JlovesVan wrote:I purchased the dvd set of Nodame Cantabile after hearing what a fantastic J-drama it was but I have not been able to make it past episode 3. I think I am the only one on the planet who doesn't seem to be enjoying this drama. I am going to keep watching it but I find it hard to go back to. Maybe it is a bit "slap stick" for me or maybe it is the bad wigs and mustaches but something is just not clicking for me. I do love the main actor and he is extremely good looking :) but.....can someone tell me if the character development gets more in depth as it goes?
JlovesVan, make sure you are sitting down and take a deep breath before clicking the spoiler tag. I have something to tell you:
You don't like it. Period.
Don't despair. This kind of thing tends to happen sometimes. It's part of life. Accept. Move on. You'll be ok, I swear.

khmai_kandi22

Post by khmai_kandi22 » Jan 5th, '08, 03:57

The 1280x720 version on clubbox is 3.4gigs :O

*Kandi downloads*

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Jan 5th, '08, 04:10

Man...the 1024 is too big for my little laptop.

*waits for a smaller version*

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 5th, '08, 04:13

While waiting for the torrent to download, I watched the making of special. Here is fair warning. Do not watch it unless you want to be spoiled.

That said, it seems like they are sticking to the manga pretty closely, which I never expected. It looks like they'll go as far as the end of v. 15. Given the manga is now at v. 19 and counting, they could certainly do another one, hopefully in summer this time, like summer of 09. (The reason I say summer is that Paris in December, when they filmed this, was pouring down rain most of the time.) If I understood correctly, the narrator mentions several times they were only 2 weeks in Europe but had to film a years worth of story. They probably could have filmed many indoor scenes in Japan, but I don't know if they did. I did see a date on one of the scene boards: Dec. 8, so that's about when they were there.

There is an interview with Zdenek Macal, the real-life principal conductor of the New Jersey Symphony, who also plays Sebastian Vieira. Fortunately the interview is in English rather than Czech. He talks about when he toured with the Czech Philharmonic to Germany and after the concert was mobbed by Japanese teenie-boppers shouting "Vieira sensei, Vieira sensei". It's a funny moment (especially his mangled version of what they were shouting).

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 5th, '08, 04:40

joeboygo wrote:
JlovesVan wrote:I purchased the dvd set of Nodame Cantabile after hearing what a fantastic J-drama it was but I have not been able to make it past episode 3. I think I am the only one on the planet who doesn't seem to be enjoying this drama. I am going to keep watching it but I find it hard to go back to. Maybe it is a bit "slap stick" for me or maybe it is the bad wigs and mustaches but something is just not clicking for me. I do love the main actor and he is extremely good looking :) but.....can someone tell me if the character development gets more in depth as it goes?
JlovesVan, make sure you are sitting down and take a deep breath before clicking the spoiler tag. I have something to tell you:
Don't despair. This kind of thing tends to happen sometimes. It's part of life. Accept. Move on. You'll be ok, I swear.
LOL.

Yeah, I know some people who don't like the slapstick nature of some of the scenes as well... How very unfortunate for them...

It's only a small part of a wonderfully musical, joyous, and at times, heartfelt drama... :thumleft:

JlovesVan

hee hee

Post by JlovesVan » Jan 5th, '08, 05:51

joeboygo wrote:
hee hee :) I cracked up when I read your spoiler joeboygo. Your right, I probably shouldn't lose sleep over it but I really really REALLY wanted to like it. It was highly recommended by individuals who share very similar tastes to mine. I love the manga too! I was hoping someone said the first 3 episodes aren't as good as later ones (happens sometimes....). Thank you for your brutal honesty, I needed that :D

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 5th, '08, 14:45

oh nooo~~!!! I don't want it to end!!

Did the SP ended according to the manga ending? I never read the manga, or watch the anime.

Nodame's dream has not come true yet!! And I'd really want to see her dream comes true!
Nodame's dream since she was in Japan is to have a piano recital concert together with Chiaki as the conductor. This had not been realized yet =( Instead, Chiaki did a piano concert for the first time with that Son Rui girl... poor Nodame, she got a shock x)
I want more Nodame and Chiaki!! Is there ANY chance for a movie, or a series sequel?? xD

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 5th, '08, 14:47

the SP had a good ending it suited it well
a very good special in my opinion

one of the funniest thing i felt is that the start both halves with everyone speaking in french and what not and then the bring up a screen which basically says thanks for putting up with the subtitles to make it easier for you from now on everyone will speak in japanese
just cracks me up
also good for me though cause I can't read all the kanji in the subs

i wish there had been more of kiora but she only got a few scenes :(

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Jan 5th, '08, 15:10

kyaaa...!!! the raw is finally out. SARS would be subbing it!!!
is there anybody who's going to take the soft sub?

wink

Post by wink » Jan 5th, '08, 15:39

Thanks to wachi for the info and tsurasshi313 for the link.

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 5th, '08, 16:12

yanie wrote:oh nooo~~!!! I don't want it to end!!

Did the SP ended according to the manga ending? I never read the manga, or watch the anime.
...Is there ANY chance for a movie, or a series sequel?? xD
See my earlier post. I haven't been able to watch the specials yet, but based on the previews, these specials seem to end with v. 15 of the manga. The manga has continued thru v. 19 and seems to be continuing futher. (V. 19 was released in Nov. in Japan.)

In another 18 months or so they should have plenty of new material to do another special, assuming the manga continues that long (and as of v 18 it shows no signs of ending soon). Whether another special is possible financially or contractually, I can't answer.

If anyone wants to know the big thing that happens after v. 15, here it is:
Chiaki moves out of the apartment building, because it is too noisy there for him to concentrate. At first Nodame is crushed, but she has a pefect Nodame way of snapping out of it.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 5th, '08, 16:14

what way? please spoil more

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Jan 5th, '08, 16:15

biniBningPunkista wrote:
kyaaa...!!! the raw is finally out. SARS would be subbing it!!!
is there anybody who's going to take the soft sub?
Siantut will be doing the soft-subs. You can refer to this page: http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fans ... inter_2008

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 5th, '08, 17:28

Yorokobi wrote:what way? please spoil more
Here is a summary of the main things that have happened since v. 15. I have not read v. 19 yet. It's taking too long getting here. :x

WARNING: This is a mega-spoiler!
Nodame's recital where she dressed up like Mozart was in a small Brittany town called San Malo. It seems from the previews that the dorama stayed in Paris, which would have removed one of the most interesting tidbits. You see, everyone in the chateau thought Nodame and Chiaki were a couple, so they were given the same room. Remember what happens after the recital, and then imagine that they will be sleeping (?) in the same room that night. (That room has exactly one bed.)

But Ninomiya doesn't tell us what happened later that night: that remains Nodame's and Chiaki's secret. When they return to Paris, Nodame and the gang are spending more time than ever in Chiaki's room. He has to redeem his orchestra from his disastrous first performance with it the prior spring, so he's feeling some serious pressure, and the constant noise in the apartment interrupts his studies. To make a long story short, he decides to move out and (with unfortunate timing) tells Nodame on the very day she is bursting to tell him her news, which is that she will be doing a salon concert in Paris.

Nodame is heart-broken at first, but then her perverted mind kicks in and she tells Chiaki, "this will be great: I can come over for secret romantic stayovers" or words to that effect. (Chiaki is typically horrified.) Alot of chapters end with a little page of deformed Nodame doing funny stuff, and this was one. You kindof have to see it to really get the humor.

After that they both get wrapped up in their studies, but the way v. 18 ended was that Nodame very much wanted Chiaki to come to her salon concert, and he wanted to go. But on the way there, he runs into Vieira (for the first time) and decides to go with him instead. Nodame grows concerned that Chiaki still hasn't showed up and finally has to start her concert. However, despite all her disappointment that Chiaki isn't there, she still plays a lights-out recital. She's a pro now.

veracious

Post by veracious » Jan 6th, '08, 01:04

Just dl'ed the first evening's portion .... wow, nearly 2 hrs long! :D

Really lookin' forward to the subs on this one. God cannot wait to see Chiaki and Nodame again. <33

horent135

Post by horent135 » Jan 6th, '08, 06:04

so we gotta wait for SARS to eng sub SP europe?? or there are eng sub out already?

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 6th, '08, 06:17

horent135 wrote: or there are eng sub out already?
After the show just finished airing a day ago??? :scratch:

No way.

No way.

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Jan 6th, '08, 06:28

bmwracer wrote:

No way.

No way.
:lol Yeah, that's almost impossible huh. How I wish though. :cry: Siantut's soft subs will probably come out sooner than SARS's hardsubs, since they have to encode it into the vid. I'll be waiting for the hardsubs though, cos I wanna burn it onto DVD-ROM and watch it on TV. :-) So that will probably a week-long wait for me. :roll

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 6th, '08, 06:42

untitledmelody wrote:
bmwracer wrote:

No way.

No way.
:lol Yeah, that's almost impossible huh. How I wish though. :cry: Siantut's soft subs will probably come out sooner than SARS's hardsubs, since they have to encode it into the vid. I'll be waiting for the hardsubs though, cos I wanna burn it onto DVD-ROM and watch it on TV. :-) So that will probably a week-long wait for me. :roll
You can hardsub the softsubs to the video pretty easily... I do it all the time. :)

And since I do it myself, I can pick the font, font size, and the font color... :thumleft:

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Jan 6th, '08, 06:56

bmwracer wrote: You can hardsub the softsubs to the video pretty easily... I do it all the time. :)

And since I do it myself, I can pick the font, font size, and the font color... :thumleft:
I've also synched softsubs to vids before, for Korean dramas, but sometimes it doesn't work. Some error abt the video codec, and it totally spoils the whole project cos only one episode can't be hardsubbed, etc. :x I use VirtualDubMod.

:thumleft: Cool. I haven't tried to change the fonts and stuff before.

... Now that you've got me thinking, maybe I'll get the softsubs and do the synching myself instead. :lol

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 6th, '08, 16:04

I finished both specials last night and thoroughly enjoyed them. I am amazed they stayed as close to the manga as they did. Except for random Tokyo scenes, there is nothing there that isn't in the manga.
After the prelude to v. 10, I don't remember any appearances of Mine, Kyora, Masumi, or the original gang in the manga. Maybe one panel of Mine in a congratulatory phone call. Chiaki met Son Rui in China, not Japan. In the manga, I don't remember if he has yet been back to Japan. If so, only very briefly.

That said, they left out a whole lot more than they did in the original dorama. They basically got to the end of v15 by leaving out most of 13, 14, and half of 15. I can't fault them for it, given the constraints they were working under. But here some highlights of what we missed in the dorama.
Luke roped Nodame and Kuroki (the oboe guy) into helping out with the nativity scene at Luke's grandfather's church. They ended up playing a donkey together. Hilarity ensued. This was the very night of Nodame's and Chiaki's fight on the bridge and was the reason she wasn't at home when he got to the apartment. (BTW: in the manga, Nodame kicked Chiaki squarely in the ass, and even made a rude comment about its size.)

Son Rui came to Paris and is now Nodame's classmate.

Chiaki's European debut happened about 10 months before Nodame's recital in San Malo. (Not afterwards, as shown in the dorama.) By the time of Nodame's recital, Chiaki has been hired to conduct his own orchestra. (Stresemann got him the job: it had been Stresemann's first orchestra, too.)

In Chiaki's first appearance with his new orchestra, his celeste player canceled at the last minute, so he called Nodame as a last-minute sub. Nodame announced to everyone they should come for her debut appearance with Chiaki (even though she would be just another orchestra player). But Son Rui shows up, and without realizing it, shoulders aside Nodame who ends up watching from the audience. But it's no big loss. The concert was a disaster, since Chiaki was also a last-minute sub and there was no rehearsal time.

The kiss scene after Nodame's recital is not as passionate in the dorama as in the manga. This is partly because J-dorama actors often do lousy kiss scenes. (For good kiss scenes you can't beat telenovelas: Latin actors do it right.) But it is also because in the manga, it isn't the first time he kissed her. The first time was when he just got back from his world-wide tour. His timing was horrible, and she kicked him out of her apartment. (The scene was in the special dorama, but he didn't kiss her in the dorama version.)
Some of the stuff in the above spoiler block could easily turn up in a future special, if this special got enough viewers to merit continuation. Here are some seeds I think they planted for another special in the future.
In the manga, Chiaki hired Kuroki to play 1st oboe in his orchestra, along with a French bassoon player who made friends with Nodame and Kuroki. That guy with the bassoon and the blonde perm-wig is probably supposed to be him. Since he basically was nobody in this special, why did they bother to dress up a Japanese actor with a wig rather than dub over a European (as they did with others), unless they hope to use him more in the future?

They have yet to show us Matsuda (who replaced Chiaki as conductor of the RS Orchestra). In the special we see only the back of his shoulder. They could be avoiding showing him so they can defer deciding on who they want to cast as him until the time he has a bigger part.

In the Tokyo scenes, they really played up Kimura Ryo's role of Noriyuki Takahashi. Takahashi just turned up in Paris at the end of v. 18, and I suspect he will become a major character, something like Masumi-chan in Paris. Why play him up so much (when now it is just a bit part) unless they hope to give him more in the future?

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 6th, '08, 16:44

untitledmelody wrote:
bmwracer wrote: You can hardsub the softsubs to the video pretty easily... I do it all the time. :)

I've also synched softsubs to vids before, for Korean dramas, but sometimes it doesn't work. Some error abt the video codec, and it totally spoils the whole project cos only one episode can't be hardsubbed, etc. :x I use VirtualDubMod.
I use VirtualDub and VobSub, which is essentially the same.. :)

Problem with the codec? I've never had that problem... Sometimes I get a message that the audio isn't synched, but I let VirtualDub fix the problem...
:thumleft: Cool. I haven't tried to change the fonts and stuff before.
It's pretty easy... Just one of the advanced features when you import the .srt file. :)
... Now that you've got me thinking, maybe I'll get the softsubs and do the synching myself instead. :lol
Is there any synching to be done, really?

The only thing I do to the softsub files is run it through Microsoft Word and run the spellchecker on it... The fansubbers never seem to do that.. :scratch:

Daish

Post by Daish » Jan 6th, '08, 20:18

well as to the speed of sub, there's always surprises once in a while, there's always hope i suppose :mrgreen:

I was wondering do you do karaoke'ing in vobsub/virtual dub as well? long along i gave it a try but it got me so mad when it didn't encode any of the karaoke effects/timings that i gave up. :cussing:

horent135

Post by horent135 » Jan 6th, '08, 23:18

Don't you wish there fansubs that can sub as fast like those anime, naruto/bleach.

veracious

Post by veracious » Jan 7th, '08, 01:22

You gotta remember anime eps are 20 mins, this drama special is 2 x 2 hrs (if I'm not mistaken)... So of course it's gonna take a longer while.

Meanwhile I try to read/re-read the manga. ^^; while I prefer the drama (looks better, has the music in audiovisual format!) the manga is just so delightful. I thank this drama for making me discover it.

Maybe we should chat about the original drama whilst waiting for subs -- who here had a huge awakening to classical music thanks to Nodame? I know I did. I began reading more about composers, listening to my dad's classical CD's, even watching classical performances on television. Nodame opened up a whole new world for me, though I must say I'm not as passionate for music as the mangaka seems to be...

EDIT: Oh yeah, sub question -- will they be posted on d-addicts or s-projects.com?

Ginoru

Post by Ginoru » Jan 7th, '08, 01:47

Does someone know if the behind the scenes or making of are going to be subbed??

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 7th, '08, 02:32

Ginoru wrote:Does someone know if the behind the scenes or making of are going to be subbed??
First things first: take care of the SP lessons, then worry about the extras...:)

blueseeker

Post by blueseeker » Jan 7th, '08, 02:52

Gosh after i watched the anime, drama and began reading the manga....now am being blessed by a special??!!! Hurray for us, cannot wait for it to be subbed so i can know what is going on although i have an idea.

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 7th, '08, 03:37

veracious wrote:Nodame opened up a whole new world for me, though I must say I'm not as passionate for music as the mangaka seems to be...
I read somewhere that the mangaka (Tomoko Ninomiya) has a pianist friend who helps with the technical details. (The technical details become much more abundant in Paris.) I believe Ninomiya's friend may be nicknamed "Nodame". There is some connection like that. Otherwise (if I remember right) Ninomiya's friend in no way resembles the Megumi Noda of this story.

What I appreciate is that Nodame Cantabile reminds us that music can change your life. The more you let the music into your life, the more it will change you, and the more passionate about it you will become. One of the key elements left out of the j-dorama adaptation is Chiaki's dysfunctional family situation. Music (specifically, Chiaki's and Nodame's music) plays a key role in helping to heal them.

I like all three versions. They each have things that make them special. The anime is a somewhat more complete adaptation. For example, it includes some of the quirkier classical pieces, like Masumi-chan's performance of a percussion concerto with Chiaki. And it includes the gang's trip to the Nagano festival.

But I have to say that I like the manga best. Only in the manga does the timeline make sense. (Both in Japan and in France.) If you have only watched the dorama or the anime, you would have no idea that the Japan arc covers 2.5 years. And only when you realize it covers that much time do the events make complete sense. Stresemann was at the school for nearly an entire academic year. (Nodame's junior year.) Basically, the S-orch. existed thruout that year, and the RS orchestra was formed the next year. Also, Nodame was reassigned to Etou-sensei at the beginning of her senior year, which is the only time that really makes sense for it to have happened.

Ninomiya's drawing style is deceptively simple, but she can evoke the drama of symphony concert in line drawings better than I thought would ever be possible.

veracious

Post by veracious » Jan 7th, '08, 09:49

musotaku - You're right, at first I was hesitant about reading because the drawing style did not appeal to me. In fact, it still doesn't, I have to admit. But that's why I'm so glad the drama made me overcome my initial prejudice and just pick it up. I think the dorama does a fabulous job at having the exact same tone as the manga - same kind of romantic comedy, same kind of deeper meaning as well. It's really very touching, and makes it easy for drama fans to pick up the manga (and vice versa I hope!).

I just re-read the ending of 15... God it's such a wonderful volume, one of my favourites. :)

You're right, the timeline doesn't make sense in drama (haven't seen anime yet -- not sure if I will).. But I don't think it deters it. The only criticism I ever heard from somebody about Nodame Cantabile (drama) was that they thought the romance took too long to develop. That's just the nature of Chiaki/Nodame, I told them. I guess they would've been even more impatient with how it develops in the manga.. :D

dopeyR12

Post by dopeyR12 » Jan 7th, '08, 11:24

veracious wrote: EDIT: Oh yeah, sub question -- will they be posted on d-addicts or s-projects.com?
s-projects.com?
that's a real estate website...

veracious

Post by veracious » Jan 7th, '08, 11:32

dopeyR12 wrote:
veracious wrote: EDIT: Oh yeah, sub question -- will they be posted on d-addicts or s-projects.com?
s-projects.com?
that's a real estate website...
My bad, I meant org. http://s-projects.org/

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 7th, '08, 14:19

veracious wrote:I just re-read the ending of 15...
But things seem to return to normal when they get back to Paris. I guess that's manga-land for you.
I've been reading vol. 19, which finally came in the mail on Saturday. Lots of good stuff:
Kyora has finally reappeared, and she pretty much confirms that what we saw of her in this new dorama special is what has been happening in her life. Another good scene is the aftermath of Chiaki not going to Nodame's salon concert. She was seriously pissed. But my favorite so far (and this will be a great scene if they ever adapt it to the dorama) is Nodame standing up in the middle of a restaurant in Vienna and waving a knife to imitate Chiaki's conducting style in front of him, Kyora, Yuko, and Jean.

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jan 7th, '08, 15:25

musotaku wrote:
Kyora has finally reappeared, and she pretty much confirms that what we saw of her in this new dorama special is what has been happening in her life. Another good scene is the aftermath of Chiaki not going to Nodame's salon concert. She was seriously pissed. But my favorite so far (and this will be a great scene if they ever adapt it to the dorama) is Nodame standing up in the middle of a restaurant in Vienna and waving a knife to imitate Chiaki's conducting style in front of him, Kyora, Yuko, and Jean.
Now that I really would like to see :lol

I like your theory about the "seeds" for a second SP. Although initially, I thought the blonde curly-haired guy in the orchestra was just an excuse for them to apply the black feathers and white roses CG, and the pointed aversion to showing RS oke's conductor was more for budget purposes. But I really do hope they do a second SP. Are those unheard of by the way? I haven't heard that many dramas do a second SP aside from Meitantei Conan (it didn't have a full season run preceding the SPs though)...

By the way, have official viewership ratings of the special been released? I've been checking the wiki, and it hasn't been updated yet (I'd brave the usual source site, but the kanji will swamp my brain like tar). Having the numbers would at least give us hope (or otherwise) whether to expect a second season. :lol

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 7th, '08, 15:27

is the manga avaliable online anywhere?

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 7th, '08, 15:39

Yorokobi wrote:is the manga avaliable online anywhere?
In a word, yes. Raws are available all the way thru v. 19. English scanlations are readily available, too, although they are behind the raws. Google Nodame Cantibile manga and you'll get a gazillion hits.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 7th, '08, 16:31

lunargen wrote:By the way, have official viewership ratings of the special been released?
Ratings (Kansai Region, I think):

SP, Lesson 1: 18.9%
SP, Lesson 2: 21.0%

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 7th, '08, 16:37

Forgot to mention this: I was a little bothered by the fact that they dubbed in Japanese voices for most of the European actors... I would've preferred subs, and where appropriate, actual translators... I mean, they ARE in Europe, not Japan...

Particularly disappointing was to see them dub in Professor Auclair's voice when everyone knows he speaks only French (from Episodes 8-9)... It seemed really awkward and hard to swallow hearing Japanese coming out of his mouth... :scratch:

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 7th, '08, 16:45

i know exactly what you mean!
while it made understanding easier for me I can't stand dubbing
but I guess Japanese people typically dont like watching subs like most other people out there
i used to work at a movie theatre and the amount of people who avoided watching a movie because they couldnt be bothered reading the subtitles astounded me.
as if it actually takes effort!

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 7th, '08, 17:10

Yorokobi wrote:i know exactly what you mean!
but I guess Japanese people typically dont like watching subs like most other people out there
i used to work at a movie theatre and the amount of people who avoided watching a movie because they couldnt be bothered reading the subtitles astounded me.
Exactly.

I don't see what's so difficult about reading subs as long as they're legible... :scratch:

Regardless, I wonder when they'll release a box set for the Special... I'll surely buy it since I bought the previous one... :thumright:

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 7th, '08, 17:12

bmwracer wrote: I don't see what's so difficult about reading subs as long as they're legible... :
But think about this:
The way Nodame learned French adds a whole new dimension to the dub/sub argument.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 7th, '08, 17:26

musotaku wrote:
bmwracer wrote: I don't see what's so difficult about reading subs as long as they're legible... :
But think about this:
The way Nodame learned French adds a whole new dimension to the dub/sub argument.
LOL.

I think the writers/directors should've addressed the language conflict issue more carefully... They could've used Europeans who spoke Japanese rather than dubbing or used translators... In a real world, those would have been the choices, ne? :)

That said, I'm nitpicking... I wanted the SP to be perfect... :)

The SP was really enjoyable and the music was wonderful, well chosen, and fit the story perfectly... I'll watch it again when the subs show up to see what I missed dialog-wise...

genkichelli

Post by genkichelli » Jan 7th, '08, 17:33

bmwracer wrote:
musotaku wrote:
But think about this:
LOL.

I think the writers/directors should've addressed the language conflict issue more carefully... They could've used Europeans who spoke Japanese rather than dubbing or used translators... In a real world, those would have been the choices, ne? :)

That said, I'm nitpicking... I wanted the SP to be perfect... :)

The SP was really enjoyable and the music was wonderful, well chosen, and fit the story perfectly... I'll watch it again when the subs show up to see what I missed dialog-wise...
yeah, i agree with using Europeans who spoke Japanese but that would've been hard to find I guess ^^; i kinda preferred the japanese dubbing since i didn't want to read the subs like everyone else and it distracts me from the facial expressions etc. but japanese being dubbed into another language...now that's what i can't stand! i'd rather tire myself out reading subs than miss the actual dialogue :P

well, the SP wasn't perfect but i enjoyed it a lot!!! certainly a good way to start the year ne^^ i cant wait for the subs to come out so i can share this with my friends! :wub:

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jan 7th, '08, 17:39

bmwracer wrote:
Yorokobi wrote:i know exactly what you mean!
Exactly.

I don't see what's so difficult about reading subs as long as they're legible... :scratch:
The problem actually doesn't lie with legibility. Some people just can't read fast enough. XD I had my friend watch Ima Ai ni Yukimasu with me once, she kept on asking me to pause every other line :goggle: in the end we both had massive headaches.

Best bet for the SP was getting Japanese speaking French people for the new characters, and then subs for the reprising roles. (Man, I really wanted to hear Vierra speak English <33 )

@ genkichelli - you know, it's really strange how the landlady was speaking decent japanese and they didn't use her for a larger role. XD

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 7th, '08, 17:48

lunargen wrote:Best bet for the SP was getting Japanese speaking French people for the new characters, and then subs for the reprising roles. (Man, I really wanted to hear Vierra speak English <33 )
Yes.

Yeah, that's another gripe: Viera spoke nothing but English in Nodame and in the SP he spoke nothing but Japanese... :scratch:

That really bugged me.

Grrr.

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 7th, '08, 17:54

lunargen wrote: (Man, I really wanted to hear Vierra speak English <33 )
You can hear that in the making-of special. His real name is Zdenek Macal, and any Nodame Cantabile fan who lives in the NY/NJ area can feel like they've entered Nodame-land by going to one of his concerts at the NJ Performing Arts Center in Newark.

I agree the dubs are distracting, but at the same time I was grateful for them. I can hardly understand French at all, and I would have had to pause continually to read the Japanese subs. (And probably even get out my dictionary.)

What surprised me was how much the Japanese dub-actor sounded like Manuel Doncel's (Auclair-sensei) real voice (as I remember it from the original dorama). At least they went to that much trouble.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 7th, '08, 18:01

musotaku wrote:I agree the dubs are distracting, but at the same time I was grateful for them. I can hardly understand French at all, and I would have had to pause continually to read the Japanese subs.
That would've been taken care of once everything is translated to English subs. :thumleft:

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jan 7th, '08, 18:10

musotaku wrote:
You can hear that in the making-of special. His real name is Zdenek Macal, and any Nodame Cantabile fan who lives in the NY/NJ area can feel like they've entered Nodame-land by going to one of his concerts at the NJ Performing Arts Center in Newark.

I agree the dubs are distracting, but at the same time I was grateful for them. I can hardly understand French at all, and I would have had to pause continually to read the Japanese subs. (And probably even get out my dictionary.)

What surprised me was how much the Japanese dub-actor sounded like Manuel Doncel's (Auclair-sensei) real voice (as I remember it from the original dorama). At least they went to that much trouble.
So he mainly resides and performs in Newark? Ahhh I'll keep that in mind when I visit there sometime :-)

True, I myself am grateful for the subs. I can read less than a percent of Kanji, so yeah. The first few minutes with Wentz and Becky were really fun though. I'm studying French in school (as a requirement. they don't have Japanese), so it's quite a motivation to learn French through Japanese subs (with much struggle lol).

It still irks me to no end that they gave the landlady that role instead of a bigger one. They should have maximized that opportunity by putting her in the Orchestra perhaps. But then, I'm thinking, those 4 oke people who were focused on really were a part of the oke, save for the blond japanese with the wild imagination. :lol

By the way, is it me, or the Japanese have this fascination with France or anything French?

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 7th, '08, 18:11

bmwracer wrote:That would've been taken care of once everything is translated to English subs.
Thing is, I doubt I'll ever watch the English subs. :P

FWIW: I am pretty sure the French actors were mouthing Japanese lines. And then the dubbers tried to sync up with them. There was the one guy, the master of the chateau, who was able to speak Japanese well enough that they didn't overdub him. From the making-of special, it seems like he probably speaks it passingly. He definitely has a slight foreign accent, but he was also probably well-coached.

veracious

Post by veracious » Jan 7th, '08, 18:59

God now I'm sooo tempted to watch this subless! Sadness for my French friend who is HUGE on Nodame and was so glad when she heard about the special. Oh well, I guess.

Some countries don't have a tradition of subtitling because the population was not literate enough to read subtitles when the phenomenon of foreign audio films was introduced. Some countries had a higher literacy rate so subtitles became a tradition in those countries, dubbing in others..

Another downside to subbing is that you have to be glued to the TV to know what's happening ... if you don't know the language you can't walk to the kitchen and listen to the dialogues as you do so.

However with that said, haven't seen how it works out in Nodame.. might watch first part subless tonight, just too eager to find out! :D

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jan 7th, '08, 19:23

Veraciousness - Watching subless isn't going to be too bad ^^b There are so many visual clues, you won't be missing much if you don't understand Japanese at all. The only parts that will utterly need subs for understanding are the commentaries on the pieces, some soliloquies here and there, and some of the heavier scenes. Apart from that, you're good to go ^^b

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 7th, '08, 19:32

musotaku wrote:FWIW: I am pretty sure the French actors were mouthing Japanese lines. And then the dubbers tried to sync up with them. There was the one guy, the master of the chateau, who was able to speak Japanese well enough that they didn't overdub him. From the making-of special, it seems like he probably speaks it passingly. He definitely has a slight foreign accent, but he was also probably well-coached.
The guy with the white wig at the castle was Daniel Carl, a well-known personality in Japan who is exceedingly fluent in Japanese... I've seen him in various videos touring Japan and checking out local eateries... He's a funny guy.

His butler, the guy with the glasses is also a Japanese personality... I think he won some kinda Best Dressed award in Japan... :)

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 7th, '08, 20:01

lunargen wrote:So he mainly resides and performs in Newark? Ahhh I'll keep that in mind when I visit there sometime :-)
SFAIK he is still Music Director of the NJ Symphony. That means he is there 12-15 weeks each season. I think he probably divides his time between NJ and the Czech Phil (which is the orchestra he conducted in the dorama). That, and jetsetting around the world. Nodame Cantabile does not make this stuff up. Conductors really do spend a lot of time in airplanes.
lunargen wrote:By the way, is it me, or the Japanese have this fascination with France or anything French?
That's my understanding. There is even a syndrome, called Paris Syndrome, supposedly caused by the Japanese idealized vision of Paris being crushed by the reality.

phokej

Post by phokej » Jan 7th, '08, 20:04

lunargen wrote:
musotaku wrote:

So he mainly resides and performs in Newark? Ahhh I'll keep that in mind when I visit there sometime :-)

True, I myself am grateful for the subs. I can read less than a percent of Kanji, so yeah. The first few minutes with Wentz and Becky were really fun though. I'm studying French in school (as a requirement. they don't have Japanese), so it's quite a motivation to learn French through Japanese subs (with much struggle lol).

It still irks me to no end that they gave the landlady that role instead of a bigger one. They should have maximized that opportunity by putting her in the Orchestra perhaps. But then, I'm thinking, those 4 oke people who were focused on really were a part of the oke, save for the blond japanese with the wild imagination. :lol

By the way, is it me, or the Japanese have this fascination with France or anything French?
Zdenek Macal was the conductor of Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, he just recently (september 2007) retired. I'm not sure if he is still conducting somewhere else. And I bet that he was speaking czech in the special. :o) Although I couldn't understand every word. :-)

I like subs more because you can hear the original sound but maybe french would be more suitable in some scenes. Nevermind it was fun from the begining till the end. :-)

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 7th, '08, 20:17

phokej wrote: Zdenek Macal was the conductor of Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, he just recently (september 2007) retired.
Oops, my bad. I just checked the NJSO website and Macal hasn't been MD for the last 3 years at least. But I am sure he still guest conducts in orchestras all over the world.

He definitely spoke English in his interview for the making-of special. And he spoke English in the original dorama. It was impossible to tell what language he spoke in the special because of the camara angle they used for his scene.

According to his wikipedia page his resignation from the Czech Phil was sudden, and he will finish his contract with them this year. One hopes his resignation is not due to health reasons.

phokej

Post by phokej » Jan 7th, '08, 20:25

musotaku wrote:
phokej wrote: Zdenek Macal was the conductor of Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, he just recently (september 2007) retired.
Oops, my bad. I just checked the NJSO website and Macal hasn't been MD for the last 3 years at least. But I am sure he still guest conducts in orchestras all over the world.

He definitely spoke English in his interview for the making-of special. And he spoke English in the original dorama. It was impossible to tell what language he spoke in the special because of the camara angle they used for his scene.

According to his wikipedia page his resignation from the Czech Phil was sudden, and he will finish his contract with them this year. One hopes his resignation is not due to health reasons.
Yes, in the interview and drama he was speaking english. It was very nice and clean english. I'm czech so I recognized the words in the last sentence which was (surprisingly) the same he said in japanese. :o)

Well, about the reason why he quit is more on this page http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/7047.html

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Jan 7th, '08, 21:09

From tokyograph:
"Atsuhime" opener, "Nodame" SP break 20%
Mon, January 7, 2008 (2:28am EST)
According to data released by Video Research Ltd., the first episode of the NHK taiga drama "Atsuhime," which aired on the 6th, had viewership ratings of 20.3% (19.8% in the Kansai region). Last year's taiga drama, "Fuurinkazan," started out with ratings of 21.0% (16.2% in Kansai).

Also exceeding the 20% mark was "Nodame Cantabile Shinshun Special in Europe," the two-night continuation of last year's popular "Nodame Cantabile" drama series. The January 4 broadcast had ratings of 18.9%, which increased to 21.0% for the January 5 episode.
Source: Sports Hochi, Oricon

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jan 7th, '08, 21:26

princess_jime wrote:From tokyograph:
"Atsuhime" opener, "Nodame" SP break 20%
Mon, January 7, 2008 (2:28am EST)
According to data released by Video Research Ltd., the first episode of the NHK taiga drama "Atsuhime," which aired on the 6th, had viewership ratings of 20.3% (19.8% in the Kansai region). Last year's taiga drama, "Fuurinkazan," started out with ratings of 21.0% (16.2% in Kansai).

Also exceeding the 20% mark was "Nodame Cantabile Shinshun Special in Europe," the two-night continuation of last year's popular "Nodame Cantabile" drama series. The January 4 broadcast had ratings of 18.9%, which increased to 21.0% for the January 5 episode.
Source: Sports Hochi, Oricon
Hopefully, figures like that would be enough to convince producers of an SP 2. :D Sad thing is, it wouldn't be for another year at least, if ever. *sigh*
Hmmm... Atsuhime... I think that's why Tamaki lost quite a bit of weight.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 7th, '08, 23:14

phokej wrote:I like subs more because you can hear the original sound but maybe french would be more suitable in some scenes. Nevermind it was fun from the begining till the end. :-)
Agreed on both counts. :thumright:

emerica1123

Post by emerica1123 » Jan 8th, '08, 00:54

god i cant wait for the soft subs to be released!!!

horent135

Post by horent135 » Jan 8th, '08, 03:52

what the difference from 1st night and 2nd night?? is it like esp 1 and esp2?

musotaku

Post by musotaku » Jan 8th, '08, 04:13

horent135 wrote:what the difference from 1st night and 2nd night?? is it like esp 1 and esp2?
The torrent is mislabeled. Night 2 is actually Special Lesson 2. (It is a continuation of the first night.)

caffienejunkie

Post by caffienejunkie » Jan 8th, '08, 04:31

Question to fellow Nodame lovers :-) : Does anyone know if the dvd release with Mandarin/Eng subs is any good? Quality wise? Just curious--I can't find any reviews anywhere. Which really doesn't give me a good impression... *sigh*. For a while I was wondering if it was a bootleg, but it doesn't seem to be. Just gotta be careful these days :D

Any info? It'd be much appreciated.

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » Jan 8th, '08, 04:40

I got the dvd when it came out (and before I realized that people were subbing it) and the English subtitles weren't great, but better than the ones on most Chinese releases :(

caffienejunkie

Post by caffienejunkie » Jan 8th, '08, 05:09

Ah, thank you. You made my life a whole lot easier :-) . I can never trust those random dvds that come out. Dangit!

Gosh, this show is probably the silliest, cutest thing ever. I loved the part when
Nodame's professor actual danced and sang to her fart song in order to win her over :lol . Priceless!
Don't know if I really needed that but... oh well! I hope I'll be able to watch the specials... *sigh*

:-)

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jan 8th, '08, 05:27

musotaku wrote:
lunargen wrote:So he mainly resides and performs in Newark? Ahhh I'll keep that in mind when I visit there sometime :-)
SFAIK he is still Music Director of the NJ Symphony. That means he is there 12-15 weeks each season. I think he probably divides his time between NJ and the Czech Phil (which is the orchestra he conducted in the dorama). That, and jetsetting around the world. Nodame Cantabile does not make this stuff up. Conductors really do spend a lot of time in airplanes.
lunargen wrote:By the way, is it me, or the Japanese have this fascination with France or anything French?
That's my understanding. There is even a syndrome, called Paris Syndrome, supposedly caused by the Japanese idealized vision of Paris being crushed by the reality.
Yeah, I checked his schedules today if he has concerts anywhere near enough for me to fly to. For most of January to February, he's having performances at Dvorak Hall. Then he's going to have a concert at UC Santa Barbara on Feb 28. Man, if I had the dough, I'd so watch one of the Dvorak performances <3

Hehehe that (the syndrome) doesn't surprise me a bit XD Their image of France is too sugarcoated, people are going to be broken in some way or another. :lol

@ Caffeinejunkie - In my opinion, the best English subs available for Jdramas all converge here at D-Addicts.(well, mostly anyway) :thumright: So, it would be most advisable to get the DVD and then get the subs from here if you don't want the hassle of wading through poor English. :D Also, it was the Moja Moja suite Auclair played :lol But I enjoyed that part all the same. :D

caffienejunkie

Post by caffienejunkie » Jan 8th, '08, 05:42

Thanks! I'll consider that.

Yeah, while watching this drama, so many things just made me laugh--actually laugh. That's kind of strange for me ^^

I wonder if the japanese image of France is similar to my image of Japan???:mrgreen: . And Germany. I love german musicals! Though some of the German in Nodame was pretty... well, I couldn't make it out ^^.

Which conductor are you guys talking about?

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jan 8th, '08, 08:02

We're talking about Vierra-sensei. His real name is Zdenek Macal. :D

You know, sometimes I wonder too if my image of Japan is the same as that of the Japanese with France. I've been to Japan, only that I was too young to remember too well, if at all XD