Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[Discussion] Nodame Cantabile and also its SP in Europe

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Sajberjohan
Posts: 4
Joined: May 31st, '08, 17:37

Very first song in Nodame Cantabile

Post by Sajberjohan » Dec 27th, '08, 21:26

Anyone knows what music is played at the start of the first Nodame Cantabile episode at the very start when you see pictures of Prague and Vieira-sensei conducting? I really like it, if you find out or if you know please let me know.

Tarah
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 1st, '07, 13:17
Location: Czech Republic

Post by Tarah » Dec 28th, '08, 15:46

Hi! I'm from Czech Republic and this one is pretty well-known here - Antonin Dvorak's Czech Suite Op. 39 - Polka :)) (it was probably chosen because of Dvorak Hall)

Sajberjohan
Posts: 4
Joined: May 31st, '08, 17:37

Post by Sajberjohan » Dec 28th, '08, 17:00

Thank you, thank you very much! :)

User avatar
noisia
Posts: 59
Joined: Sep 12th, '08, 10:18

Post by noisia » Dec 28th, '08, 22:38

Tarah wrote:Hi! I'm from Czech Republic and this one is pretty well-known here - Antonin Dvorak's Czech Suite Op. 39 - Polka :)) (it was probably chosen because of Dvorak Hall)
Wow, well done mate. I couldn't pin it down myself, and I love Classical Music :s

If you have the Nodame Cantabile Best 100 Album, it's this piece from it: "Ceska Suita (Bohemian Suite) in D minor, Op.39 - Polka --- Ivan Anguelov, Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra". Disc 6, number 2.

Sajberjohan
Posts: 4
Joined: May 31st, '08, 17:37

Post by Sajberjohan » Dec 29th, '08, 14:55

Ah! thank you very much again! I tried to find the song last night unsuccesfully, now I found the torrent for the Nodame Best 100 here on d-addicts :cheers:

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Dec 31st, '08, 03:54

:thumleft:

Image

User avatar
mujiri
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 25th, '08, 09:07
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by mujiri » Jan 5th, '09, 14:08

just finished the show over the weekend with my wife and i must say we really love the pair. their chemistry and antics were so memorable and enjoyable...

having a bit of nodame withdrawal at the moment, so am glad that there's a movie coming out. lol although its in 2010?!

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 5th, '09, 14:29

mujiri wrote:just finished the show over the weekend with my wife and i must say we really love the pair. their chemistry and antics were so memorable and enjoyable...

having a bit of nodame withdrawal at the moment, so am glad that there's a movie coming out. lol although its in 2010?!
The best things are worth waiting for... :thumleft:

Have you watched the SP along with the regular series?

User avatar
mujiri
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 25th, '08, 09:07
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by mujiri » Jan 5th, '09, 17:54

lol yah i did...

we were like "oh damn, its going to end!?" at the last episode and then we saw that our friend has passed us 2 2-hrs special... haha nearly fainted from joy. been playing all the classical pieces at work these few days.

have any of you watch the anime yet? i accidentally came across the anime opening (which was fantastic) and got interested

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 5th, '09, 22:45

mujiri wrote:lol yah i did...

we were like "oh damn, its going to end!?" at the last episode and then we saw that our friend has passed us 2 2-hrs special... haha nearly fainted from joy. been playing all the classical pieces at work these few days.

have any of you watch the anime yet? i accidentally came across the anime opening (which was fantastic) and got interested
After watching the live-action, it's impossible to watch the anime, IMO: the anime characters don't seem as "animated" as the live action ones.

Juri-chan's made Nodame an iconic role. :thumright:

Mario Mariowitsch
Posts: 1
Joined: Jan 8th, '09, 07:13

Re: Very first song in Nodame Cantabile

Post by Mario Mariowitsch » Jan 8th, '09, 08:07

This is Maestro Viella's recording of "Czech Suite" !



Zdenek Macal & Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

1 Dvorak: Czech Suite op.39

2 Suk: Pohadka - Fairy Tale Suite op.16 :thumright:
Attachments
992.jpg
992.jpg (9.29 KiB) Viewed 1011 times

User avatar
Jazzl
Posts: 550
Joined: Jun 10th, '08, 22:35
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Jazzl » Jan 8th, '09, 09:11

bmwracer wrote:
mujiri wrote:lol yah i did...

we were like "oh damn, its going to end!?" at the last episode and then we saw that our friend has passed us 2 2-hrs special... haha nearly fainted from joy. been playing all the classical pieces at work these few days.

have any of you watch the anime yet? i accidentally came across the anime opening (which was fantastic) and got interested
After watching the live-action, it's impossible to watch the anime, IMO: the anime characters don't seem as "animated" as the live action ones.

Juri-chan's made Nodame an iconic role. :thumright:

I don't think it's impossible, because I did it.
But.. I have to say, it's like a cultural shock, because Nodame isn't really this acitve and and you can't laugh that often about her actions. I think in the Anime Nodame is rather boring.. my apologies +_+..
Chiaki and the other roles really are not that interesting.
So i think bmwracer is propably right if you don't want to be dissapointed start with the anime.

User avatar
mujiri
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 25th, '08, 09:07
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by mujiri » Jan 8th, '09, 10:28

well i caught the 1st epi on veoh the other day, yep was pretty disappointed (although i really love the opening). everytime nodame comes on, i was just comparing her with juri-san and it was kinda lacking.

haha juri-san really flesh out the character so well

User avatar
noisia
Posts: 59
Joined: Sep 12th, '08, 10:18

Post by noisia » Jan 8th, '09, 10:58

I think the Live Action has a better Nodame but the anime version has a better Chiaki :p Still much prefer the Live Action though, I love spotting actors and actresses from other dramas in the ones i'm currently watching :p

User avatar
biniBningPunkista
Posts: 1036
Joined: Jun 17th, '06, 14:31
Location: inside toma's closet
Contact:

Post by biniBningPunkista » Jan 8th, '09, 11:51

Kamenashi wrote:
bmwracer wrote:
mujiri wrote:lol yah i did...

we were like "oh damn, its going to end!?" at the last episode and then we saw that our friend has passed us 2 2-hrs special... haha nearly fainted from joy. been playing all the classical pieces at work these few days.

have any of you watch the anime yet? i accidentally came across the anime opening (which was fantastic) and got interested
After watching the live-action, it's impossible to watch the anime, IMO: the anime characters don't seem as "animated" as the live action ones.

Juri-chan's made Nodame an iconic role. :thumright:

I don't think it's impossible, because I did it.
But.. I have to say, it's like a cultural shock, because Nodame isn't really this acitve and and you can't laugh that often about her actions. I think in the Anime Nodame is rather boring.. my apologies +_+..
Chiaki and the other roles really are not that interesting.
So i think bmwracer is propably right if you don't want to be dissapointed start with the anime.
i have all 10 episodes of the anime... just can't get myself to watch it. it seems rather dry than the live action. i'll probably try it if i get one of my moments... ^_^v

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 8th, '09, 14:36

Kamenashi wrote:
bmwracer wrote:
mujiri wrote:lol yah i did...

we were like "oh damn, its going to end!?" at the last episode and then we saw that our friend has passed us 2 2-hrs special... haha nearly fainted from joy. been playing all the classical pieces at work these few days.

have any of you watch the anime yet? i accidentally came across the anime opening (which was fantastic) and got interested
After watching the live-action, it's impossible to watch the anime, IMO: the anime characters don't seem as "animated" as the live action ones.

Juri-chan's made Nodame an iconic role. :thumright:

I don't think it's impossible, because I did it.
But.. I have to say, it's like a cultural shock, because Nodame isn't really this acitve and and you can't laugh that often about her actions. I think in the Anime Nodame is rather boring.. my apologies +_+..
Exactly.

Thanks in large part to Juri-chan's performance, there's lots of funny and wonderful little details in her actions and expressions that just don't exist in the anime...

There's lots of anime out there that is terrific (Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service come to mind) and live-action couldn't possibly come close, but Nodame isn't one of them..

User avatar
Jazzl
Posts: 550
Joined: Jun 10th, '08, 22:35
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Jazzl » Jan 8th, '09, 15:20

biniBningPunkista wrote:
i have all 10 episodes of the anime... just can't get myself to watch it. it seems rather dry than the live action. i'll probably try it if i get one of my moments... ^_^v
I totally get what you mean. I really couldn't bring myself to watch the Anime of Hana Yori Dango... it took me quite a while

User avatar
biniBningPunkista
Posts: 1036
Joined: Jun 17th, '06, 14:31
Location: inside toma's closet
Contact:

Post by biniBningPunkista » Jan 8th, '09, 16:49

Kamenashi wrote:
biniBningPunkista wrote:
i have all 10 episodes of the anime... just can't get myself to watch it. it seems rather dry than the live action. i'll probably try it if i get one of my moments... ^_^v
I totally get what you mean. I really couldn't bring myself to watch the Anime of Hana Yori Dango... it took me quite a while
hahaha... me toO!!! i tried watching the anime version once, then ended up with the movie where they were dancers!
My reaction: what the? :blink *quickly turns off video and clicking a more worth it movie to watch*

User avatar
Jazzl
Posts: 550
Joined: Jun 10th, '08, 22:35
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Jazzl » Jan 8th, '09, 17:02

biniBningPunkista wrote:
hahaha... me toO!!! i tried watching the anime version once, then ended up with the movie where they were dancers!
My reaction: what the? :blink *quickly turns off video and clicking a more worth it movie to watch*
Oh no, this is a really bad memory. I first watched the AnimeMovie and then the Anime..
I searched for the HYD - Movie or Special(on Veoh).. and the Name was Hana Yori Dango Movie. I didn't look at the little thumbnail and just started it. It was the shock of my life. xD That's another reason why I couldn't bring myself to watch the anime for a long time.

User avatar
indyana
Posts: 11
Joined: Apr 27th, '08, 14:40
Location: Massachusetts, United States of America
Contact:

Post by indyana » Jan 8th, '09, 22:24

So, after hearing about it forever, I finally watched this series over this past weekend, and it has immediately jumped to the top of my list of favorite dramas. It's great that there will be a movie to look forward to! This is the first time I've been really tempted to re-watch an entire series...

Too bad you are all saying the anime isn't that great... usually I like to go back into the manga/anime for dramas that are based on them. I guess there are instances where television not only does justice but does one better than the original material, eh?

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 9th, '09, 02:23

indyana wrote:So, after hearing about it forever, I finally watched this series over this past weekend, and it has immediately jumped to the top of my list of favorite dramas. It's great that there will be a movie to look forward to! This is the first time I've been really tempted to re-watch an entire series...
Yay! Another fan! :thumright:
Too bad you are all saying the anime isn't that great... usually I like to go back into the manga/anime for dramas that are based on them. I guess there are instances where television not only does justice but does one better than the original material, eh?

You can always check out an episode or two of the anime and judge for yourself. :)

This drama is one of those rare cases where it's more animated than the anime. :thumleft:

User avatar
peachydomo
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 16th, '08, 07:36
Location: Canada

Post by peachydomo » Jan 11th, '09, 06:34

I'm so excited for the movies to come out!!! YAY!

I recently started to re-watch the specials again and it's still amazing :D

Now I'm going to watch the series again~

User avatar
Jazzl
Posts: 550
Joined: Jun 10th, '08, 22:35
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Jazzl » Jan 11th, '09, 10:39

i wachted ita already two times(series and specials), I'll watch it the third time soon

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 11th, '09, 19:37

Kamenashi wrote:i wachted ita already two times(series and specials), I'll watch it the third time soon
:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

User avatar
Jazzl
Posts: 550
Joined: Jun 10th, '08, 22:35
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Jazzl » Jan 11th, '09, 20:34

bmwracer wrote:
Kamenashi wrote:i wachted ita already two times(series and specials), I'll watch it the third time soon
:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Really xD I can't help it, 'cuz you always discover things that you before never noticed. I have a bit habit xD if there is a good scene i always go back and look it again, more than 2 or 3 times..
Nadame Cantibile is just to cool. To be true, in the beginning I didn't want to watch it. Because of classic music and I thought: "Ah.. this would be to boring". But after I read a lot of regards i gave it a try. After 5 minutes I was totally crazy over this drama.

User avatar
nouriko
Posts: 19
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 01:12
Location: secretplace

Post by nouriko » Jan 12th, '09, 02:14

me too cant wait for the movies to come out, 2010 seems so far away hehe
guess havta do liek u guys go n rewatch the old SP and the series soon :roll

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 12th, '09, 04:09

Kamenashi wrote:
bmwracer wrote:
Kamenashi wrote:i wachted ita already two times(series and specials), I'll watch it the third time soon
:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Really xD I can't help it, 'cuz you always discover things that you before never noticed. I have a bit habit xD if there is a good scene i always go back and look it again, more than 2 or 3 times..
Yeah, that's why this show is one of my all-time favorites: you can watch it over and over again and notice new details and never get bored... That's the sign of a great drama, IMO. :thumleft:

User avatar
peachydomo
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 16th, '08, 07:36
Location: Canada

Post by peachydomo » Jan 12th, '09, 08:21

bmwracer wrote:Yeah, that's why this show is one of my all-time favorites: you can watch it over and over again and notice new details and never get bored... That's the sign of a great drama, IMO. :thumleft:
I totally agree with you there, whenever something has a high replay value to me then it's something actually worth taking my time to watch. Lately the only other drama that falls under that category is CHANGE.

And for Nodame, I totally love the chemistry between all the actors/actresses, it definitely helps make it a super awesome drama. :D

BTW bmwracer, I am loving the screen caps in your sig, so cute!! :lol

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 12th, '09, 14:48

peachydomo wrote:
bmwracer wrote:Yeah, that's why this show is one of my all-time favorites: you can watch it over and over again and notice new details and never get bored... That's the sign of a great drama, IMO. :thumleft:
I totally agree with you there, whenever something has a high replay value to me then it's something actually worth taking my time to watch.
Exactly.

The more times I watch this drama, the more impressed I am with all the little details in the sets and acting... Huge props to the entire production staff. :thumleft:
BTW bmwracer, I am loving the screen caps in your sig, so cute!! :lol
Thanks... You can't go wrong with pics of Juri-chan... :thumright: :wub:

User avatar
mujiri
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 25th, '08, 09:07
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by mujiri » Jan 12th, '09, 14:56

haiz one downside to watching nodame is that now I kinda let down by the other japanese shows im starting to catch except for Last Friends (although for that one , it is superb yet extremely painful).
Last edited by mujiri on Jan 12th, '09, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 12th, '09, 15:05

mujiri wrote:haiz one downside to watching nodame is that now I kinda let down by the other jap shows im starting to catch except for Last Friends (although for that one , it is superb yet extremely painful).
Um, you shouldn't use the abbreviation "Jap" .... Some people consider it a derogatory term. :sweat:

User avatar
Jazzl
Posts: 550
Joined: Jun 10th, '08, 22:35
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Jazzl » Jan 12th, '09, 15:35

nouriko wrote:me too cant wait for the movies to come out, 2010 seems so far away hehe
guess havta do liek u guys go n rewatch the old SP and the series soon :roll
now i', surprised. Movie?

User avatar
mujiri
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 25th, '08, 09:07
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by mujiri » Jan 12th, '09, 15:36

@bmwracer: thanks for the note, din realize when I did it. has gone abck and edited it. :)

well given that the admin will be trimming or deleting excessive threads, shall be more "discussy" in this thread from now on:

A thought, have anyone gone through all the tracks for Nodame OST. I have just finished Best 100 hits, and a new classical favourite for me is the Symphon 7- 1st Movement which is the opening for the shows. Love how the piece pick up near the middle and just sweep you along . niceto!

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 12th, '09, 15:42

mujiri wrote:@bmwracer: thanks for the note, din realize when I did it. has gone abck and edited it. :)
Thanks! :thumright:
well given that the admin will be trimming or deleting excessive threads, shall be more "discussy" in this thread from now on:
I don't think trimming the threads over 100 pages is a very good idea, IMO.

If the mods tightened up on the random/similar threads and restricted the excessively large signatures, things would be a whole lot tidier... I'm a mod at J-dorama and that's what we do... :)

User avatar
nouriko
Posts: 19
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 01:12
Location: secretplace

Post by nouriko » Jan 12th, '09, 19:35

Kamenashi wrote:
nouriko wrote:me too cant wait for the movies to come out, 2010 seems so far away hehe
guess havta do liek u guys go n rewatch the old SP and the series soon :roll
now i', surprised. Movie?
yeah, Nodame movie which will be filmed in Europe :-)

User avatar
peachydomo
Posts: 50
Joined: Dec 16th, '08, 07:36
Location: Canada

Post by peachydomo » Jan 12th, '09, 19:40

mujiri wrote:A thought, have anyone gone through all the tracks for Nodame OST. I have just finished Best 100 hits, and a new classical favourite for me is the Symphon 7- 1st Movement which is the opening for the shows. Love how the piece pick up near the middle and just sweep you along . niceto!
I'm slowly making my way through all of Best 100 hits and finding a new appreciation for classical music (and just recently went to a symphony too. But so far, my favourite is still the Ravel's Miroirs that Nodame plays in the second special at her recital.

User avatar
mujiri
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 25th, '08, 09:07
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by mujiri » Jan 13th, '09, 07:37

the debussy piece she plays for her 2nd round competition was pretty nice too.... i guess i prefer more upbeat tunes overall. lol although her moja moja piece was pretty interesting too.

been scanning the papers for any classical performance to go to and experience.
my all time fave however is still pachebel in d canon.

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 13th, '09, 15:30

Beethoven's Symphony #7, First Movement is really uplifting... And I associate it so much with the drama that I think of it as "Nodame's Theme." :mrgreen: :wub:

User avatar
mujiri
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 25th, '08, 09:07
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by mujiri » Jan 13th, '09, 16:18

lol yah everytime i get round to it on my playlist, nodame screencaps start playing in my mind :D
i like how they always structure the opening portion so that it leads nicely to the opening theme and then the show starts proper.

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 13th, '09, 18:51

mujiri wrote:lol yah everytime i get round to it on my playlist, nodame screencaps start playing in my mind :D
i like how they always structure the opening portion so that it leads nicely to the opening theme and then the show starts proper.
Exactly. :thumleft:

I can't think drama that's affected me more and in more ways than this one... :thumright:

User avatar
mujiri
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 25th, '08, 09:07
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by mujiri » Jan 14th, '09, 03:13

well as you said earlier thats the hallmark of a good drama. for me i still remember my first jdrama - Beach Boys, which I still like after all these years. perhaps its the blue water and beautiful people in it. come to think of it the filming style is quite similar to Last Friends too.

been reading up on wiki the terms used about music, conducting and piano. realized theres a entire world of knowledge there. lol i guess for the layman we tend to think what so hard about conducting, but i guess quite a big bulk of the work is done before the performance.

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 14th, '09, 04:12

mujiri wrote:been reading up on wiki the terms used about music, conducting and piano. realized theres a entire world of knowledge there. lol i guess for the layman we tend to think what so hard about conducting, but i guess quite a big bulk of the work is done before the performance.
Yup.

Like painting a house, it's all in the preparation before the actual painting that makes the difference. :thumright:

musotaku
Posts: 56
Joined: Apr 21st, '07, 15:03

Post by musotaku » Jan 15th, '09, 15:42

mujiri wrote: lol i guess for the layman we tend to think what so hard about conducting, but i guess quite a big bulk of the work is done before the performance.
When done correctly, conducting does not produce a single sound, so clearly there is a great deal more to performances than the conducting. Furthermore, the conductor can't stop the performance to bark out instructions, so she or he is pretty helpless on performance night. Quite often musicians follow the instructions of the conductor right up until performance night and then play it their way during the performance, especially if it is a guest conductor.

BTW: one of the weakest aspects of the dorama is Tamaki trying to conduct. I doubt if any non-conductor actor in any show at any budget level could make it look more convincing. (My recollection is that even Rex Harrison in "Unfaithfully Yours" could not pull it off.) At any rate, watching Tamaki makes me wince. In this respect I prefer the anime, esp. the 2nd season, where it appears they used CGA to project Chiaki onto the movements of a real conductor.

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 15th, '09, 20:25

musotaku wrote:BTW: one of the weakest aspects of the dorama is Tamaki trying to conduct. I doubt if any non-conductor actor in any show at any budget level could make it look more convincing. (My recollection is that even Rex Harrison in "Unfaithfully Yours" could not pull it off.) At any rate, watching Tamaki makes me wince. In this respect I prefer the anime, esp. the 2nd season, where it appears they used CGA to project Chiaki onto the movements of a real conductor.
For most who don't know much about conducting, it's not really that noticeable... Though I do notice at times he is sorta out of sync with the music...

It's not surprising that the anime would/could be more convincing in this respect, since you have virtually unlimited control of the video image... So making that comparison isn't totally fair... :sweat:

musotaku
Posts: 56
Joined: Apr 21st, '07, 15:03

Post by musotaku » Jan 16th, '09, 04:58

bmwracer wrote: For most who don't know much about conducting, it's not really that noticeable... Though I do notice at times he is sorta out of sync with the music...

It's not surprising that the anime would/could be more convincing in this respect, since you have virtually unlimited control of the video image... So making that comparison isn't totally fair...
Given the realities of a limited budget, though, I think the anime's approach was pretty ingenious. You shouldn't shrug it off so quickly.

FWIW, Tamaki is following (or rather, attempting to follow) an orchestra that is itself struggling to play together because the actual conductor is either not there or in an unusual place (off camera). Compare that to Zdeněk Mácal as Viera who is clearly leading his orchestra and as a result the orchestra is speaking with a unified voice. If you'd ever sat in an orchestra, it would be painfully obvious. It's worth comparing the two scenes in the dorama (Viera conducting vs. Chiaki conducting), because I would think the difference would be plain even to a lay person.

I'm not knocking Tamaki. Conducting is way harder than it looks. Conductors study and practice for decades, and there is no way to "play one on TV" in a way that makes any musical sense. As I said, even the great Rex Harrison failed to pull it off.

I like all three versions of Nodame Cantabile. I prefer not to compare them, because it is like comparing apple, oranges, and bananas. They all have good points. I have to say I have come to like the manga best, mainly because it adds so much depth and detail that is missing from either adaptation. At the same time there is nothing else like Ueno when she gets her Nodame wound up and on a roll.

I have to laugh, because everyone here loves the dorama and disses the anime. I'm on another list where it is the reverse. But I think it's okay to like both. And mainly I would encourage anyone who likes the franchise to check out the manga, since it is so readily available online.

User avatar
mujiri
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 25th, '08, 09:07
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by mujiri » Jan 16th, '09, 05:09

@bmwracer: one thing i read about in conducting is that, the conductor are sometimes out of sync with orchestra, depending on his style. so if he is slightly ahead, he is leading the orchestra a beat in advance (lol im hope i'm not sprouting nonsense here). yah i was kinda wincing when chiaki seems out of sync but after reading about this, i thot "oh maybe thats just his style"

yep was thinking maybe musically, musically inclined students might be wincing at the musical part, but one thing i thought was fantastic was although the actions or playing might not be accurate, their acting manage to convey that they are doing a great job of touching the audience which i thought was great:D

lol looks like we all learn more about music from this show. nodame banzai!

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 16th, '09, 05:25

musotaku wrote:I like all three versions of Nodame Cantabile. I prefer not to compare them, because it is like comparing apple, oranges, and bananas. They all have good points. I have to say I have come to like the manga best, mainly because it adds so much depth and detail that is missing from either adaptation. At the same time there is nothing else like Ueno when she gets her Nodame wound up and on a roll.
I've tried to read the manga and watch the anime after watching the live action (too many times to mention) and I just can't get into either... I have no doubt that the manga has the most depth and detail, since it is the point of reference, but the exuberance and energy that the live action provides can't be denied or ignored...

And what can you say about Juri-chan that hasn't been said? She's made the role iconic, much like Sean Connery's Bond and Harrison Ford's Indy. :thumright:

tunix_2008
Posts: 138
Joined: Mar 28th, '08, 15:24

Post by tunix_2008 » Jan 19th, '09, 16:40

Before watching this, I never really had much respect for conductors. I'm thinking, they're not the ones doing the real hard work. I mean an individual musician can create sound, music, even, if he's any good but a conductor just waves.

I really dug Tamaki's performance here. Maybe not the conducting part but all the rest. There's this one scene where I literally had goosebumps all over -- that one when he started to write on the Brahms music sheet. It brought back poignant memories of my childhood spent in interminable music lessons. I just wanted to run away screaming like claustrophobic Masumi in the first episode.

I can't relate to Nodame here. There aren't a lot of people who find something they're good at that they actually enjoy doing. And then to want to do something else all together? It's neither logical nor fair.

User avatar
mujiri
Posts: 19
Joined: Dec 25th, '08, 09:07
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by mujiri » Jan 20th, '09, 03:11

actually what i understand was that nodame enjoys performing and would love to be better at it but the pressure and childhood trauma seems to affect her greatly that she took the next path she would love, making kids happy:)

but am glad that at the end of the show she did wish to be even better for herself and chiaki

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 20th, '09, 07:03

tunix_2008 wrote:I can't relate to Nodame here. There aren't a lot of people who find something they're good at that they actually enjoy doing. And then to want to do something else all together? It's neither logical nor fair.
It's all about confidence, I think: having the talent and enjoying it isn't enough to be a success at it.... You can see Chiaki's determination... Nodame doesn't have that... Yet.

User avatar
Das_Phantom
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 24th, '09, 20:34
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Post by Das_Phantom » Jan 25th, '09, 00:12

I'm surprised people in here are saying the anime is poor compared to the live action. All the anime fans say that the live action is a disappointment compared to the anime :unsure:

Though i've watched both Nodame Cantabile Anime seasons and thought they were brilliant.

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 25th, '09, 16:32

^ I don't think any of us said the anime was poor:.. We just said that we prefer the live action over the anime... That's different.

User avatar
Das_Phantom
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 24th, '09, 20:34
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Post by Das_Phantom » Jan 27th, '09, 14:32

Oh, sorry, i misread then :doh:

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Jan 27th, '09, 15:35

No worries. :salut:

BomBayei
Posts: 4
Joined: Feb 1st, '09, 19:38

Post by BomBayei » Feb 1st, '09, 19:59

At first glance of the first episode, i thought that this is one of the wacky kinda goofy dorama which is the type i like most. But half through the episode, i was laughing my ass off by the chemistry and the aliveness of the characters. I think it was a spot on casting, and the actor/actress nail the part. Whoever wrote the dorama is brilliant.

The storyline based on music, what more can i want. I was learning to play instrument, and this dorama just blew me away. While being informed that this was a live action of a manga, i just can't stop to compare the storyline. Well, i am rather impress to say that the dorama brings life to the manga, showing the sassy silly heroin, and the also all optimist, cool looking hero.

By the way, the storyline makes you keep wanting more. And i never say this, but the guy playing stressman, he's the man. Funny as hell, and with the fake nose, just tickle my ticklish nerve. PLus his accent was funny also.

I think this series deserve a must-watch suggestion from me, cause, the story is good, the actor is good and you won't get tired of listening to the music in each epi. =))

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Feb 1st, '09, 22:44

BomBayei wrote:At first glance of the first episode, i thought that this is one of the wacky kinda goofy dorama which is the type i like most. But half through the episode, i was laughing my ass off by the chemistry and the aliveness of the characters. I think it was a spot on casting, and the actor/actress nail the part. Whoever wrote the dorama is brilliant.

The storyline based on music, what more can i want. I was learning to play instrument, and this dorama just blew me away. While being informed that this was a live action of a manga, i just can't stop to compare the storyline. Well, i am rather impress to say that the dorama brings life to the manga, showing the sassy silly heroin, and the also all optimist, cool looking hero.

By the way, the storyline makes you keep wanting more. And i never say this, but the guy playing stressman, he's the man. Funny as hell, and with the fake nose, just tickle my ticklish nerve. PLus his accent was funny also.

I think this series deserve a must-watch suggestion from me, cause, the story is good, the actor is good and you won't get tired of listening to the music in each epi. =))
Total agreement.

The adaptation from the manga is terrific and the production values are top notch, better than any other drama I've ever seen... Add to that the on-target performances, and you've got one winner of a drama... :)

And the drama is so good and enjoyable that it merits numerous, multiple viewings... What greater compliment can you give to a drama? :thumleft:

tunix_2008
Posts: 138
Joined: Mar 28th, '08, 15:24

Post by tunix_2008 » Feb 4th, '09, 16:22

bmwracer wrote:I've tried to read the manga and watch the anime after watching the live action (too many times to mention) and I just can't get into either... I have no doubt that the manga has the most depth and detail, since it is the point of reference, but the exuberance and energy that the live action provides can't be denied or ignored...
I'm currently watching the animé version of this. Of course, there's much to be said about seeing people playing the instruments, or rather, simulating playing the instruments. It's visually better than 2 dimensional pictures (the animated characters' fingers aren't even moving). However, I liked the story telling better in the animé, for one, I finally understood the title Nodame Cantabile. I interpret it as "Nodame's style", meaning Chiaki had to learn to adapt to varying styles in order to become a successful conductor. Varying like Nodame's piano playing in contrast to technical and to-the-letter like Chiaki's piano style.

It could also mean "Nodame's song" because in the animé Chiaki wrote a song that Nodame took to Masaki and Ryuu to play as a jazz arrangement. It reminded me of Rowena's Song in Mr. Holland's Opus. True that the song wasn't inspired by Nodame but she had a band play it after Chiaki had given up on it.

Another way the story telling is better in the animé is the explanation of Stressman's actions -- going to Japan, telling Nodame that she can't be with Chiaki -- there's a parallel here between his love and hers.

I haven't read the manga but I wished the live action didn't skim over these details because it would've made Ueno Juri's portrayal more charismatic to me if I knew Stressman's story. It was easier to believe that a talented student is just a slacker. Everyone of us could easily relate to that than the I'm-damaged reasoning. You're not that damaged if you're still playing, right?

Plus there's a scene in the animé where Saiko said that when it came to her, Chiaki was the music first, he didn't seem to notice the person. Then contrast that to the next scene where Chiaki was force feeding Nodame -- it shows that Chiaki cares for Nodame as a person first. It shows that Chiaki is capable of caring for a person, it just wasn't Saiko. The scene where Nodame and Chiaki played Rachmaninov would've been more romantic if the Saiko context was presented.

Oh well, I'll concede that I like Tamaki Hiroshi better than his two dimensional counterpart. :wub:

musotaku
Posts: 56
Joined: Apr 21st, '07, 15:03

Post by musotaku » Feb 4th, '09, 22:53

tunix_2008 wrote:I haven't read the manga but I wished the live action didn't skim over these details
That's really the problem with both adaptations. If you value the details, by all means you should read the manga. But I agree with your main points about the strengths of the anime. Nice to have a balancing viewpoint on this thread.

Pardon my being pedantic, but in this context "anime" is the Japanese word rather than the French one, and hence it requires no accent. (アニメ="a-ni-me" and is an abbreviation of the English word "animation." Nothing to do with French.) I'm only tying to save you the trouble of typing accented e's. :P

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Feb 10th, '09, 05:21

Image

Image

powerKid
Posts: 21
Joined: Jul 21st, '06, 06:17

Post by powerKid » Mar 8th, '09, 22:34

Just now i read that the filming for the special of nodame in paris will start in may 2009.

does anyone know something about that?? I HAVE to go and see that!!!

totally out of my mind now :O

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 749
Joined: Jun 4th, '08, 04:54
Location: Malaysia

Post by avieamber » Mar 9th, '09, 04:54

powerKid wrote:Just now i read that the filming for the special of nodame in paris will start in may 2009.

does anyone know something about that?? I HAVE to go and see that!!!

totally out of my mind now :O
you staying in Paris? If so, then GOOD LUCK! hope you can find out their filming locations and go catch a glimpse of them all. :lol

flamethunder85
Posts: 121
Joined: Oct 13th, '08, 15:17

Post by flamethunder85 » Mar 9th, '09, 11:25

I don't know if it's appropriate to post here, well yeah.......

Regarding actor - Takahiro Ito, who played Segawa Yuto (Nodame's childhood rival) in Nodame...(R.I.P.)
Souce link: http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-4505

Image
powerKid wrote:Just now i read that the filming for the special of nodame in paris will start in may 2009.

does anyone know something about that?? I HAVE to go and see that!!!

totally out of my mind now :O
It'll start filming in May '09 but so far no further details yet...

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Mar 10th, '09, 14:41

^ Sad news about Ito Takahiro... He was just a kid: 21 years old.

Japan seems to have a very high suicide rate: over 30,000 per year for the past 11 years, according to statistics... :(

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Mar 17th, '09, 14:22

From January 2008:

Juri-chan and Tamaki Hiroshi promoting the SP on Mezamashi TV in HD (720p, 60fps): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S9JSHRNR

Image Image

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Mar 18th, '09, 14:16

Part 2 of the Mezamashi TV video: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=STB6NEA9 :thumleft:

ssih
Posts: 232
Joined: Sep 6th, '08, 18:34
Location: Boston

Post by ssih » Apr 13th, '09, 13:37

I just finished this through the specials and absolutely loved it.

I can't imagine that this hasn't been discussed, but I don't have the fortitude to read through all 95 pages. I just went back to the beginning of this year.

Why didn't they have Nodame play with a full orchestra conducted by Chiaki? It seemed like the logical finale. There are so many dramatic symphonic piano concertos. It would have been great.

As much as I like full symphonies, I honestly enjoyed Nodame's piano playing more than Chiaki's conducting. I don't know... I simply can't get all that excited by what a conductor does. I'm sure it's very demanding and requires considerable skill. But I guess I just can't appreciate it. I mean, I can't see a lot of difference between what a professional conductor does and what some schmuck pretending does.

I can, however, appreciate the difference between a lousy piano player, a good one, a great one, and a world-class player.

musotaku
Posts: 56
Joined: Apr 21st, '07, 15:03

Post by musotaku » Apr 13th, '09, 14:02

ssih wrote: Why didn't they have Nodame play with a full orchestra conducted by Chiaki?
They are following the manga, and that hasn't (yet) happened in the manga. Stay tuned for the upcoming movies....
ssih wrote:I honestly enjoyed Nodame's piano playing more than Chiaki's conducting. I don't know...
One possible reason is that Ueno has studied some piano and therefore can present a convincing pose whilst Tamaki clearly knows nothing about conducting beyond what he may have been coached for this role. (This is not a criticism, just a factual observation.) Rex Harrison hardly did any better in "Unfaithfully Yours". The kid in "August Hope" was more convincing than either.

ssih
Posts: 232
Joined: Sep 6th, '08, 18:34
Location: Boston

Post by ssih » Apr 13th, '09, 14:11

musotaku wrote:They are following the manga, and that hasn't (yet) happened in the manga.
Well then what ARE they waiting for in manga-land? (Just kidding - thanks for that info.)
One possible reason is that Ueno has studied some piano and therefore can present a convincing pose whilst Tamaki clearly knows nothing about conducting beyond what he may have been coached for this role.
That might have some effect. But all things being equal, I'd rather watch a good pianist than a good conductor. I did enjoy the brief scenes of the orchestra playing when they weren't focusing on Chiaki. But every time I saw Nodame sitting in the audience, I felt that the greatest artist in the room wasn't performing.

flamethunder85
Posts: 121
Joined: Oct 13th, '08, 15:17

Post by flamethunder85 » Apr 14th, '09, 17:10

2 pieces of news in case anyone interested :-)

Pony Canyon sells Amalfi, Nodame Cantabile to Asia
Jason Gray in Tokyo
09 Apr 2009 08:04

Japanese international sales outfit Pony Canyon has closed pre-sales with two Asian buyers for Fuji TV titles Nodame Cantabile The Movie and Amalfi.

Panasia Film acquired both films for Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, while Singapore-based Golden Village bought rights to both for Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. Both deals were closed following meetings at Hong Kong's Filmart last month.
As reported on Screendaily last December, Nodame Cantabile The Movie is a two-part feature film adaptation of the hit Fuji TV series.
The story follows a brilliant but quirky piano student Megumi "Nodame" Noda, played by Juri Ueno, and her aspiring conductor love interest (Hiroshi Tamaki). Production is slated to begin this June with famed classical music locations across Europe. Hideki Takeuchi, who directed the series, will also direct both films.
Japanese distributor Toho has slated the films for Christmas 2009 and spring 2010 releases.
Pony Canyon will continue sales of both titles at the Cannes market next month.

Source: http://www.screendaily.com/ScreenDailyA ... &Category=
---------------------------------------------------

Nodame Cantabile Exhibition to be held

An exhibition of "Nodame Cantabile" will be held in Tokyo to celebrate the return of Ninomiya Tomoko from the maternity leave. At the exhibition called "Nodame Cantabile World", Noda Megumi's room filled with garbage will be reproduced and put on display along with 70 illustrations of Ninomiya.
Starting from April 30th-May 6th...And from May 2nd-6th, there will be a piano performance twice each day...Free admission..

News source: http://mainichi.jp/enta/mantan/news/200 ... tml?inb=rm

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » Apr 15th, '09, 14:42

Nintendo Wii: :)

flamethunder85
Posts: 121
Joined: Oct 13th, '08, 15:17

Post by flamethunder85 » May 15th, '09, 09:21

Nodame Movie Official Website is OPEN!!

--> http://www.nodame-movie.jp/ <--

Image

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » May 18th, '09, 13:37

^ Yay! :thumright:

User avatar
Jaja
Posts: 230
Joined: Oct 30th, '04, 06:41
Location: Philippines

Post by Jaja » May 19th, '09, 08:36

OMG I'm so happy they are filming now ( I assumed they are fliming now in Paris)

I'm so sad to know about Takahiro Ito (A.K.A. Segawa Yuto). Why does Japan and Korea have a high stat in killing themselves? Is it only dealth the solution in problems?

Anyway regarding Nodame Cantabile, I'm so looking forward for the film.

Regarding the manga, It's quite sad that Nodame Chan is ignoring Chiaki Sempai, I wonder what will happen next?

User avatar
bmwracer
Posts: 2108
Joined: Aug 12th, '05, 00:12
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial

Post by bmwracer » May 19th, '09, 19:44

Jaja wrote:OMG I'm so happy they are filming now ( I assumed they are fliming now in Paris)
Seems that Juri-chan is still in Japan, I think... :scratch:
I'm so sad to know about Takahiro Ito (A.K.A. Segawa Yuto). Why does Japan and Korea have a high stat in killing themselves? Is it only dealth the solution in problems?
I think it might have to do with the pressures of the culture: success, honor, etc... :sweat:

flamethunder85
Posts: 121
Joined: Oct 13th, '08, 15:17

Post by flamethunder85 » May 20th, '09, 15:47

bmwracer wrote:
Jaja wrote:OMG I'm so happy they are filming now ( I assumed they are fliming now in Paris)
Seems that Juri-chan is still in Japan, I think... :scratch:
Yeah...I think they have started filming in Japan...

Miss Nodame-Chiaki :wub:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests