Question about Summer Snow + Orange Days (SPOILERS)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
ubogin

Question about Summer Snow + Orange Days (SPOILERS)

Post by ubogin » Jan 4th, '07, 11:48

(HUGE spoilers ahead, sort of... BEWARE)

Last chance...

So yeah, motorcycles are cold, metallic killers! I'm new to JDrama and in the first two shows I've seen (Orange Days and Summer Snow), there were motorcycle accidents in both.. Not even one car accident, all motorcycles... is this a coincidence? Does it happen in other series, too? Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny. I guess they think car accidents are cliche.

BTW, the accident in Summer Snow looked like it wouldn't have even hurt. Plus, instead of pushing the kid out of the way, he stops him from crossing the street and sits down in the road... but it was a great show, nonetheless... Oh well.

I also want to ask what everyone thought of Summer Snow's ending. Did you think it worked? Did you like it? Would you have preferred a happy ending? I mean, it was bittersweet, not all gloomy by any means, but... I really wanted to see Yuki smile from the bottom of her heart. I never complain about sad endings, because life is like that, but just for Yuki, I wanted it that way...

Moving on, I'm glad I found this site. Yoroshiku.

SmiLeeGirl

Post by SmiLeeGirl » Jan 8th, '07, 10:32

Where was there one of those in Orange Days?

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jan 10th, '07, 16:32

I don't remember any motorcycle accidents in Orange Days...

James_yka

Post by James_yka » Jan 10th, '07, 16:51

Did they even rode any motorcycle in Orange Day ?

I think u mistaken it with the Slow Dance, the same main character...
But still there isnt any accident in Slow Dance...

piece keeper

Post by piece keeper » Jan 11th, '07, 06:43

kyosak wrote:I don't remember any motorcycle accidents in Orange Days...
Kou's character was hit by a motorcycle.

VanishingHope

Post by VanishingHope » Jan 11th, '07, 07:09

[As the thread states: Spoilers ahead]

I do find it interesting that motorcycle accidents seem to be the j-drama way. lol. I don't quite understand the motorcycle use either. There are quite a few j-dramas that I've seen where motorcycles are the vehicle of choice in accidents. Every time I hear a motorcycle's engine rev a bit, I think of the movie Jaws... where the cello plays as the shark appears and you know some thing's gonna happen.

Summer Snow surprised me because the ending did seem harmless. Then even in the hospital, it left me wondering... "Is he?... no no, he is not... wait... maybe..."

As for the accident in Summer Snow, the motorcycle seemed further away. However, in a real-life situation, I feel that most people would have done what felt most natural in such a situation. Sitting down and protecting the kid was probably the first and only thought that came to his mind.

It would have been nice to see Yuki, Natsuo, Jun, Chika, Chika's guy (forget his name), and their kid all living together and stuff.

Just my 2-cents... I tend to lurk here but since I just finished watching Summer Snow for the 2nd time (over a year or two)... thought I'd speak up.

Peace,
--VanishingHope

Kitsuchi

Post by Kitsuchi » Jan 11th, '07, 08:22

I've watched both Orange Days and Summer Snow. I liked both very much. They are really good doramas and also very touching.

About Summer Snow's ending.. When I got to know that Natsuo had sacrificed himself for Yuki's sake; at first, I thought like "Noo.. it can't be true... Did he really.. ?". It was sad, yet so touching and great. As 'ubogin' said, I wanted them both together with Natsuo's siblings to be happy and smile together - a happy ending. But always happy endings can sometimes make the dorama less good. I think that the dorama left stronger footsteps after watching it, just because of its sad ending. To think that one can actually go that far as sacrificing yourself for your beloved one. It's almost scary.. But that's natural, isn't it? You usually don't notice how important you're close friends, familymembers or whatever, are until the time comes for you to notice that..

Although it was a time ago since I've watched Summer Snow, I remember the tears I dropped while watching.. Now, after reading this thread, I think I have to rewatch it someday, since it was so touching and bittersweet.

F4

Re: Question about Summer Snow + Orange Days (SPOILERS)

Post by F4 » Jan 12th, '07, 05:40

ubogin wrote:(HUGE spoilers ahead, sort of... BEWARE)

Last chance...

So yeah, motorcycles are cold, metallic killers! I'm new to JDrama and in the first two shows I've seen (Orange Days and Summer Snow), there were motorcycle accidents in both.. Not even one car accident, all motorcycles... is this a coincidence? Does it happen in other series, too? Anyway, I thought it was pretty funny. I guess they think car accidents are cliche.

BTW, the accident in Summer Snow looked like it wouldn't have even hurt. Plus, instead of pushing the kid out of the way, he stops him from crossing the street and sits down in the road... but it was a great show, nonetheless... Oh well.
In Summer Snow, i think they intentionally made it motorcycle accident cuz Natsuo keep warning his siblings to be carefull from cars .. and when he was trying to protect the child i think he couldnot cross the street becuz he was shocked

about the ending i admit it is so sad that made me cry specially when Yuki find out that he pass away :cry: she kept saying that is not true and u r laying

Well maybe the fabulousness of this show is the sad ending that he will be with her ,, inside her by his heart

Man this show is more than great.. Good show to start with

Kitsuchi

Post by Kitsuchi » Jan 12th, '07, 10:41

F4 wrote: Man this show is more than great.. Good show to start with
Yes, I totally agree with you. It's definitely a good show to start with if you haven't watched j-dorama before. Actually, that's what I did. Summer Snow was the first japanese dorama I watched and I totally loved it.
And actually too, the second one was Orange Days. Also really good j-dorama.

Both of them made me continue watching japanese dorama for sure. I'm glad that those were the first ones that I watched.

arabian

Post by arabian » Jan 12th, '07, 10:45

I watched summer snow & it was really my first Jdrama ..
I like the drama but i hate the ending..

sweetdreams1891

Post by sweetdreams1891 » Jan 14th, '07, 07:27

wahh summer snow is one of my favorite dramas of all time!! i loved every second if it!! i was crying like crazy when Natsuo died in the end :cry: :cry: . It was soo sweet how he wanted to protect the kid more than he wanted to protect himself...even when he so desprately wanted to see Yuki in the hospital. :cry: and it was sooooooo sad how Yuki wanted to see Natsuo so badly that she imagined that he was with her the entire time...

thtl

Post by thtl » Jan 14th, '07, 13:05

Kitsuchi wrote:.. When I got to know that Natsuo had sacrificed himself for Yuki's sake..
I think you have misunderstood. Natsuo died to save the kid, and I don't think it was intentional. He certainly did not sacrificed himself for Yuki because at that point in time no one would have known his heart was suitable for Yuki.

Kitsuchi

Post by Kitsuchi » Jan 14th, '07, 18:58

thtl wrote:
Kitsuchi wrote:.. When I got to know that Natsuo had sacrificed himself for Yuki's sake..
I think you have misunderstood. Natsuo died to save the kid, and I don't think it was intentional. He certainly did not sacrificed himself for Yuki because at that point in time no one would have known his heart was suitable for Yuki.
Oh, really? I thought it looked like it was for Yuki's sake. Did he then got that seriously injured of that accident that he died? Never thought of it.
But then, he did give his heart to Yuki anyway. That was sweet enough. ;/

mimi_siko

Post by mimi_siko » Jan 14th, '07, 19:34

hello..
I have watched both Summer Snow and Orange Days.. and since everyone seems to be talking about Summer Snow more.. I thought I'll talk more about Orange Days..
I like it more.. how the story talked about friends at university.. somehow close to my situation -as i am a university student-.. but it really made me feel sad.. cuz you will miss your friends once u graduate.. i'm in my last year and already started missing my friends, i don't get to see them as much as i want.. i do miss my Orange Days..
I also liked the girl's -forgot her name- behaviour, this "i don't care about anything" attitude but then she is fragile from the inside.. i thought it was so realistic.. also the actors were good looking 8) ..
about the motorcycle accidents.. don't see any connection.. maybe u noticed it cuz we are used to see more car accidents!!..

shining_fountain

Post by shining_fountain » Jan 16th, '07, 01:56

Summer Snow was pretty good - personally I loved the ending. The emotional ending really made the series memorable. Orange Days was great too! One of my favorite J-Dramas. It was weird at first seeing Shibasaki Kou in her role, since I was used to seeing her as the ruthless Mitsuko in Battle Royale, but yea - great drama

ubogin

Post by ubogin » Jan 16th, '07, 16:17

Kitsuchi wrote:
Yes, I totally agree with you. It's definitely a good show to start with if you haven't watched j-dorama before. Actually, that's what I did. Summer Snow was the first japanese dorama I watched and I totally loved it.

Both of them made me continue watching japanese dorama for sure. I'm glad that those were the first ones that I watched.
just out of curiosity, what did you watch next? since then, i've seen Kimi wa Petto and i'm downloading Long Vacation. Kimi wa Petto was also good, but i didn't love either of the leads like i did with Summer Snow. i'm also thinking of getting the other show that features both Hirosue and the guy who played Natsuo (forget his name). but it's not supposed to be as good as SS...

pasv

Post by pasv » Jan 20th, '07, 06:18

I JUST got done watching Orange days an hour ago. And I loved it for sure.
That is an odd similarity.. motorcycle accidents. Notice that both characters weren't writing on the motorcycles when it happens? I suppose its similar to american soap operas and comas. Althought I've only seen this twice in all the jdramas i've watched.

And if that wasn't a random-enough slur for you: The ending to Summer Snow made the show. Seriously. I hated it but i appreciated it's ability to manipulate my emotions as such. Even thinking of it now almost gets me watery eyed.

Kitsuchi

Post by Kitsuchi » Jan 20th, '07, 17:18

ubogin wrote:
Kitsuchi wrote:

just out of curiosity, what did you watch next? since then, i've seen Kimi wa Petto and i'm downloading Long Vacation. Kimi wa Petto was also good, but i didn't love either of the leads like i did with Summer Snow. i'm also thinking of getting the other show that features both Hirosue and the guy who played Natsuo (forget his name). but it's not supposed to be as good as SS...
Emm.. I've watched around 20 j-doramas, so I don't really remember which was the third one.. Though, I think it was GTO. Not sure.

I've watched both Kimi wa Petto and Long Vacation and I enjoyed both of them. Kimi wa Petto had a sweet plot. It's good that you're downloading Long Vacation, because it's great and I think you'll enjoy and like it as much as I did.. Kimura Takuya's acting skills really shows off here.

fulano

Post by fulano » Jan 24th, '07, 21:19

Summer Snow embodies what I love about Jdrama. You see, I grew up in the USA, having to watch sappy crappy sitcoms on mainstream television. If you could count to 6, you probably had enough sense to predict the outcome. Of course, it is going to end in a tidy convenient happy conclusion at the end of a half an hour.

What is nice about Jdrama is that you never know what will happen. It is really hard to guess sometimes, although I was spot on about Sleeping Forest, but I didn't guess who was in the locket until the episode after.

Anyway, Summer Snow was a terrific drama. I loved it alot. And the best thing about dramas like that is that when you watch the last few episodes of Orange Days, you can not predict the ending. I was really thinking that she was going to stay in Germany and they'd never see each other again.

Happy endings are nice, but some of the really best pieces of work I have seen have sad endings.......And I'm OK with that.

dli2k3

Post by dli2k3 » Jan 24th, '07, 21:24

ubogin wrote:BTW, the accident in Summer Snow looked like it wouldn't have even hurt. Plus, instead of pushing the kid out of the way, he stops him from crossing the street and sits down in the road... but it was a great show, nonetheless... Oh well.
Ya I agree, that was soooo lame. It was very frustrating to watch that scene. But in some ways, we all knew what was going to happen, so I guess the end result would be the same.

yakuruto_kun

Post by yakuruto_kun » Jan 25th, '07, 01:55

I liked both Summer Snow and Orange Days, different stories in very different situations. Summer Snow was about the second or third drama I watched but I was hooked to jdrama since the first one I watched, Beautiful Life (Takuya's char drives a motorbike, by the way, but there are no accidents there). There are some points in every drama that can be very easily predicted within the episode but I take those with a grain of salt because it's only a TV show.

- - - - - - POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD - - - - -

Returning to the main topic, one of the critic points in Koinu no Waltz was a motorcycle accident years before the start of the story, from which a story twist near the end develops. Didn't like how it turned out and still think it was lame, but liked the drama anyway.

In the first minutes of Majo no jouken there is also a motorcycle accident.

I remember also one Music Station where IIRC Nakama Yukie was telling she got a boat driving license before getting a driver's licence, she in fact wanted to get a motorcycle driver's license but everyone she consulted with told her it was too dangerous, so she gave that up and got the one for the boat.

fulano

Post by fulano » Jan 25th, '07, 03:55

Do you have to get a license to operate a boat in Japan? I have taken boats across oceans without a license. (though I am going to get mine this spring...)

yakuruto_kun

Post by yakuruto_kun » Jan 25th, '07, 15:11

I have no idea, but since they said she got one I would guess you need one (I think they were talking about speed boats, but I wouldn't be surprised if a license was needed for any kind of boat)