[Discussion] Proposal Daisakusen (Operation Love)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » May 10th, '07, 16:25

Hey hey. ^_^ Loving this show, but does anyone have the MP3 to Ashita Hareru kana, the theme? All I'm finding is .avi but I want an MP3. Thanks a bunch!

non-angelical

Post by non-angelical » May 10th, '07, 16:34

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » May 10th, '07, 17:03

Ah, you rock. Oddly enough, the insert song (first heard on ep. 2) was MUCH easier to get a hold of, so I'll be happy if anyone wants that. =)

non-angelical

Post by non-angelical » May 10th, '07, 17:22

Actually both files are up on YamaPi's thread here in d-addicts a while back :lol
But I DID..have difficulties in finding the Monpachi song (now it's up in windjp' clubbox)

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » May 10th, '07, 23:40

Anyone notice that young Kenzo has a mole on the left side of his face, but future Kenzo doesn't.

lunargen

Post by lunargen » May 10th, '07, 23:51

@ space command - well, i dont think a lot of fangirls will appreciate Pi's face having a mole like that ahahahaha XD although i did notice they tried to give the boy "Pi" hair heeheehee

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 11th, '07, 01:07

When I first saw the kenzou "kid"; it reminded me of Tada rather than Ken. haha :d

thanks for the ending song! :D

/r/ monpachi song. I don't have any avenues for searching music and such so yeah. post em here ! :D
---

I think people were asking why Ken was weeping in the picture where Tada leaves the school, the answer is on episode 2. Ken was sad to see Tada leave.

purplefiliac

Post by purplefiliac » May 11th, '07, 02:11

this thread is amazing. i like all the point of views and speculations. i haven't seen ep. 4 yet but it seems to be the best one yet. i can't wait for subs!

anyway, i just have one nagging question... in the first episodes, they keep saying "Is that an American joke?" i don't really get it. Can someone explain? please?

murdocknakashima

Post by murdocknakashima » May 11th, '07, 05:16

anyway..I thought the same too..if someone gave me an old CD I'll do exactly what ken did when rei gave it to him (threw it in the bag carelessly)..I'll not bother my self to read the lyrics over again..if his friend didn't ask to borrow the CD, I don't think that ken will be able to figure out rei present :unsure:
if you pay close attention though, the page that the note drops out of in the cd booklet is the same page that the song lyrics are on. it seems like it pops out on the third page and the song that he's listening to is the third track of the cd. plus, the lyrics go well with the situation. that's probably why it's the song playing during that scene.

on an unrelated note, this song (chiisana koi no uta) seems to be featured in more and more dramas ... it played during hitonatsu no papa e and now this one. i'm pretty sure it's not the last time that it'll be used in a drama.

i'm also kind of surprised that this hasn't been cracking a 20% viewership rating. to me, this is easily the best drama of this current season. i can't get myself to keep up with joudan janai, kuitan 2, bambino or seito shokun, but i eagerly await to download the raw every monday (hawaii time) just to see what happens.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 11th, '07, 06:08

murdocknakashima wrote: i'm also kind of surprised that this hasn't been cracking a 20% viewership rating. to me, this is easily the best drama of this current season. i can't get myself to keep up with joudan janai, kuitan 2, bambino or seito shokun, but i eagerly await to download the raw every monday (hawaii time) just to see what happens.
Welcome to the club. I myself am shocked to have gotten myself hooked on a dorama starring a Johnny's long hair, but there you have it. This is my one dorama for the season, who'd a thunk it?

Anyway, the more I watch the more I become convinced that at that point in their shared past, Rei actually cared more about their relationship than he did. She was longing for reassurance that some special connection existed between them. After spending so much time together, has he learned to pay extra attention to her, or is she just another part of the universe of which he chooses to remain but dimly aware? The song lyrics are extremely telling: listen (3x) to the declaration of love from the special person sitting beside you.

ouss

Post by ouss » May 11th, '07, 07:14

maybe it s the best the drama of this season but not the best drama of the year.

there s something that annoys me in each episode of Proposal daisakusen :

redundancy !
it s always the same start and end in every episode...i mean the producer is he a lazy guy? it feels just like there is 15minutes of copy/paste : a new photo appears, kenzo says : why? what did happen before?...and then the "fairy" (i like this guy, he s like my best character of this drama) gives him another chance to come back to past and fix the mistakes...in the end, kenzo is becoming closer to rei.

anyways, the story is great.

Hallelujah CHANCE kenzo!! (kenzo should ask the waiter to refill the food in that wedding because the fairy will go somewhere else if he doesnt find anymore FRIED shrimps to eat). :lol

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 11th, '07, 07:21

Its not redundant at all. Ken and Rei's relationship dynamics change with each passing episode.. I think someone said that all these little changes add up to a turning point later on ehem.. remember that scene were Rei told Ken that he doesn't understand her at all.. That scene might be turning point later on (Everyone already noticed that Rei is a *closet* admirer of Ken from episodes 1-4.. add the fact that Ken is *SLOW* when it comes to these thing- thus showing us that particular scene with Rei and Ken.)

I am just restating what has been said and trying to dissect the parts to formulate a valid point :D

ouss

Post by ouss » May 11th, '07, 07:34

i am not talking about when ken goes back to past.

i was talking about when ken is in the wedding...these first 5-7minutes in the wedding Plus the other 5-7 minutes and the end during the wedding

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 11th, '07, 08:18

intro+outro ?

twl

Post by twl » May 11th, '07, 08:37

ouss wrote:i am not talking about when ken goes back to past.

i was talking about when ken is in the wedding...these first 5-7minutes in the wedding Plus the other 5-7 minutes and the end during the wedding
Hallelujah CHANCE <--- this phrase is getting annoying! LOL
I can't wait to watch the next episode! Wonder what will happen in the university! Tada san is having a bigger role as each episode progress and Ken must be feeling the pressure! :P

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 11th, '07, 09:31

ouss wrote:i am not talking about when ken goes back to past.

In the begining of each episode I see that as a recap on what happened the pervious episode. At the end of each episode I see that helps the storyline flow forward. Example
At the begining of episode 4 Tada and Rei were talking about if Rei received a button at the end of her graduation and she said no. Also she was asked if she wanted someones button and she said yes, there was someone who's button she wanted but that guy was a jerk. Rei looked at Ken for a couple of seconds and Tada drew her attention from Ken. At the end it was different. Tada asked the same question but this time she said that she did get a button but it was a little strange and then she smiled at the memory and then she looked at Ken waaaaay differently. The look was filled with passion.
I guess what I am saying is that those 5-7 mins in the beginging and at the end (at the wedding) are needed to help the storyline progress. It lets us the audience know that he is changing the feelings of Rei. Of course this is just my humble opinion.

ouss

Post by ouss » May 11th, '07, 17:26

no i was talking about the part just after the recap.

anyways, just forget that, we re not going to discuss over some small details hours and hours.

in fact, i still dont get it why the fairy gives "infinite" chances to kenzo to go back to past.
sometimes, it looks like ken doesnt make any progress at all : he s really slow even though he is a mature guy in a teenager's body.
especially in episode 3, nothing happened,
he has just realized at the end that he was the one who made the teacher closer to the students....i think if he didnt show that paper, that teacher would never get familiar to rei and then jackpot! he s the only guy in rei's eyes.....
but what i am saying is really unfair for that guy who is marrying rei.

it s true that ken liked/loved rei since a long time, but he never confessed...
i mean, it s really a controverse : ken or that teacher deserves to marry rei?? :goggle:

i think there s one solution to make everyone happy : i ll marry her! :lol
...just kidding

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 11th, '07, 19:01

ouss wrote:in fact, i still dont get it why the fairy gives "infinite" chances to kenzo to go back to past.
sometimes, it looks like ken doesnt make any progress at all : he s really slow even though he is a mature guy in a teenager's body.
especially in episode 3, nothing happened,
he has just realized at the end that he was the one who made the teacher closer to the students....i think if he didnt show that paper, that teacher would never get familiar to rei and then jackpot! he s the only guy in rei's eyes.....
but what i am saying is really unfair for that guy who is marrying rei.

He doesn't have anywhere close to inifinite chances really. At MOST he has the chance to fix 11 mistakes in his life, though I suspect that by the very end we'll probably reach a point where it'll take more than one episode to address the defining moment in their relationship. Considering how many moments he's actually let slip by over the years, ten moments or so isn't that much by comparison.

On the subject of episode 3:
If Ken had done that, it would have meant more than just keeping Rei from Tada. It would have been Ken choosing to hurt Tada's career, to betray his own feelings for someone he does consider a friend, and would have ultimately destroyed his chances with Rei in the long run because of the inescapable repercussions of his becoming someone he doesn't respect in order to "win". No healthy and happy relationship can come from such beginnings.

Rei's not a piece of meat to be fought over and given to the victor, so the biggest part of Ken's journey is learning to understand her in all the places he failed to before. (As well as take on some personal growth.) He did learn more about her, and he improved her view of him pretty favorably in that episode as well.

Whereas the first time it was just a fluke that he was the one to improve the class's view of Tada, this time Rei got to see him doing something more substantial in the way he intentionally helped the teacher. She was impressed enough to sincerely compliment him on it, and for me as a viewer his actions in that episode are a major factor in showing how Ken is both worthy of being the hero of this series and worthy of earning happiness and love at the end of his journey. He didn't just push her closer to Tada.
So far Ken and Tada are both good men, and the way that this drama focuses on the subtleties of love without resorting to simply villifying the competition is another plus for me. This series can go from an over the top "Hallelujah Chance" to conveying the most complex and changing emotions with a single look from Rei.

As far as the wedding sequences go, I think Graymouse is really talking about the same scenes you are after the recap. Technically the opening wedding scenes from each episode are the "exposition" that set up the next conflict, and the closing ones are the "denouement" that bring catharsis for the conflict of each episode. Basic story structure goes:

Exposition, building action, climax, denouement

Each of these episodes contains all of these parts, thus they are able to be stand alone episodes, though there is a longer arc that overreaches the entire series--whether or not Ken can change his relationship with Rei. That main conflict of the story is generally addressed and furthered during the wedding scenes, where Ken learns how he's fairing in his overall journey. That's why those scenes serve an important dual purpose to the structure of this story.

Yay, continuing my pattern of nerdy contributions to the discussion!... lol :thumright:

ouss

Post by ouss » May 12th, '07, 00:05

Yay, continuing my pattern of nerdy contributions to the discussion!... lol thumright
indeed !
thanks for your explanation, :P .

oh i must go out now! i ll write something here when i get back home.

j_halo7

Post by j_halo7 » May 12th, '07, 02:54

ryoko11 wrote:He doesn't have anywhere close to inifinite chances really. At MOST he has the chance to fix 11 mistakes in his life, though I suspect that by the very end we'll probably reach a point where it'll take more than one episode to address the defining moment in their relationship. Considering how many moments he's actually let slip by over the years, ten moments or so isn't that much by comparison.
ur right there are probably many other events that disappointed Rei but perhaps these 10 moments that Ken changes are the most important ones that determined their relationship. its logical to think that one would pick photos from important events in their lives to show everyone at a big event like a wedding. if we were to give a presentation on our own lives, im sure we would likewise pick photos which showcase important events. so perhaps these 10 moments as estimated are just enough to change the outcome. i hope... *fingers crossed*

ouss

Post by ouss » May 12th, '07, 06:20

so perhaps these 10 moments as estimated are just enough to change the outcome. i hope... *fingers crossed*
bof!
i dont think that the outcome will be so different.
these 10 moments are just some sort of flashback where ken ll realize why he didnt end up with rei by understanding rei s feelings during these precious moments.

Even if he changes some parts of the past that doesnt mean that in the last episode he ll find himself by "magic" (hallelujah chance :lol ) sitting in tada's place next to rei in that wedding.

:whistling:

well, we dont know yet what could be like the ending of this drama
(per example, ken was from the begining drunk (ep1, he drunk a lot), in the last episode he wakes up and realize that all of this story was just a dream.... :goggle: )

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 12th, '07, 08:44

I don't think it will be a dream ending. At least I hope not. Apart from Alice in Wonderland (well, even in Alice in Wonderland) the dream ending just doesn't cut it. It's the easy way out, it's unoriginal. Maybe he'll wake up thinking it's all a dream, be late to the wedding to find out it's his and he has changed the past. That would be ok. But for him to have just passed out at the wedding from drinking too much and have imagined it all, that would be a pretty crappy ending indeed.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 12th, '07, 10:00

You know I was thinking along the lines of episode 10 will be the last time slip. The episode 11 will probably take place the night before the wedding. We will find out why Ken was late for the wedding (other than sleeping in). Also if you watch episode 1 again you will see what it appears to be a party the night before. The end of episode 11 will bring us to the time that we were at before the fairy appeared at the wedding reception but hopefully this time Ken will be the one marrying Rei. (i hope)

However, the fairy did say at the begining that he will give Ken a chance to have "no regrets" He never said Ken would be able to marry Rei. That is up to him on how he uses the "time that he has before the picture is taken.

Don't get me wrong though I really wish for Ken to be able to marry his childhood friend.

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 12th, '07, 10:20

hmm.. time to insert my fave quote straight from ' Honey and Clover'

"there are times when wishing for my happiness is on the opposite side of the coin to wishing for another's misery"

But its all speculation now. We dont know how they will proceed with the story- maybe they'll drop a bomb about Tada and another girl or something.. but either way- we will get some pretty awesome "drama" moments. for sure.

Witwe

Post by Witwe » May 12th, '07, 11:05

maybe they'll drop a bomb about Tada and another girl or something
I really hope the won't do that, I liked Tada a lot in the few scenes he had up to now. I understand why Rei wants to marry him. :-)
For the last episode, I also think that we will get to see what happened the day before the wedding. Then Ken wakes up late again and runs to the wedding of Tada and Rei, but this time he doesn't stand by and watches but at the very last moment interrupts the ceremony and tells her his feelings. Then they run off into the sunset... :lol :alcoholic:

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » May 12th, '07, 14:04

Ok, sorry if this has been mentioned before, and I'm only on episode 2 at the moment. If subs are out for 4, I'll watch 3 and 4 this weekend. ^_^;;

But do you think it's possible Rei might figure out something is going on with him going back in the past? He told his friends he was from the future in ep.1, and it was brought up again in ep.2 and Rei had this weird look on her face. o.O Sorry if this is completely stupid xD

twl

Post by twl » May 12th, '07, 15:23

Gorahgurl wrote:Ok, sorry if this has been mentioned before, and I'm only on episode 2 at the moment. If subs are out for 4, I'll watch 3 and 4 this weekend. ^_^;;

But do you think it's possible Rei might figure out something is going on with him going back in the past? He told his friends he was from the future in ep.1, and it was brought up again in ep.2 and Rei had this weird look on her face. o.O Sorry if this is completely stupid xD
I doubt anyone will realize it. He didnt go on an on about it. Everytime something slip out from his mouth, he paused a while and move on. No one should realize it!

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 12th, '07, 23:24

twl wrote:
Gorahgurl wrote:Ok, sorry if this has been mentioned before, and I'm only on episode 2 at the moment. If subs are out for 4, I'll watch 3 and 4 this weekend. ^_^;;

I doubt anyone will realize it. He didnt go on an on about it. Everytime something slip out from his mouth, he paused a while and move on. No one should realize it!
Even if they do think something is odd about him, i think that "time travel" would be the last reason they think of.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 13th, '07, 03:01

Tomorrow night Episode 5! We are almost halfway through the series.
Last edited by Graymouse on May 13th, '07, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » May 13th, '07, 06:02

Head up for an Anime movie that has same theme as this TV series call "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". A fan softsub has been release for it and could be found at Kloofy.net. Anyway, beautifully drawn, funny, and just as thought provoking as Proposal Daisakusen. Don't want to spoil the story other than what the title suggests.

kashigal

Post by kashigal » May 13th, '07, 16:00

Do you think the scene when he gave Rei the graduation certificate was touching? It touches my heart that he finally realize he did so many wrong things towards Rei. Can't wait for Ep 5 =)

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » May 13th, '07, 16:25

T_T Haven't seen 4 yet. Waiting for subs still. But like he said in ep. 3:

"What was I doing six years ago?!" >.> He WAS an oblivious dork back then...less so, now. xD

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 13th, '07, 16:37

XrayMind wrote:Head up for an Anime movie that has same theme as this TV series call "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". A fan softsub has been release for it and could be found at Kloofy.net. Anyway, beautifully drawn, funny, and just as thought provoking as Proposal Daisakusen. Don't want to spoil the story other than what the title suggests.
Sounds good. I've finished downloading Kimi to Ita Mirai no Tame ni: I'll Be Back with Domoto Tsuyoshi for an extra time traveling romance fix. Sadly, I don't know of any subs for it, but what I've caught from the first episode has been really good so far.

Since there are no fansubs on this one, here's the basic synopsis from the DramaWiki:
A college senior who suddenly dies returns to life four years earlier, and, with full memory of his future, attempts to correct past mistakes and realize previously unaccomplished goals, only to die and be reborn again and again. Though the circumstances are different each time, he encounters people who form a common connecting thread.

It's got a bit more of a mystery aspect to it, and I'm really digging it so far. (Okay, pretty Tsuyoshi is always a plus too!)

Can't wait for ep 5 of Prodai! Seems odd to think we're almost halfway through the series...

edited to add: And yes, I did think that the scene where he gave her the certificate was touching. I felt very proud of him for some strange reason. *chuckle*

Graymouse

!

Post by Graymouse » May 13th, '07, 16:59

Episode 4 was very intresting to say the least. I think that scene was a major turning point in the story. However, tomorrow nights episode might change that.

I don't see what Rei would find in a guy like Tada-san. To me he seems like a total nerd! Who in the world thinks of stupid stuff like adding up the amount of people attending your wedding and dividing it by...... :goggle: NERD! When he did that I thought I saw Rei rolling her eyes at him. Ken is so much better for her then Tada!

ouss

Post by ouss » May 13th, '07, 19:45

rei wanted a guy with more self-confidence, she felt more than once deceived by ken (cofee milk promise, the message inside the album, the quarter final of baseball,....)
tada was it but not ken.
plus, ken was slow, it s been a while he loves rei and he never confessed to her.

you will see in ep5 why she chose tada (i ve seen it in the ep5 preview so i dont want to spoil the story)

seriously, the personality of ken in the past made me remember a weirdo guy i met last year : silent, slow, hates some jokes, ... :pale:

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » May 13th, '07, 19:48

But Tada-san is a very cute nerd! HAHA

My sixth sense tells me that Ken and Rei will end up together. To me, the whole atmosphere of the drama seems to suggest that.

Just look at the ending clip! Okay sure it shows Tada-san in the clip, but most of the clip is like everyone else smiling on the couple. (Presumably Ken and Rei because Tada-san disappears in the clip altogether.) And then it ends with Ken and Rei staring at each other.

Seriously. The producers can't put that as an ending clip and not let Ken and Rei end up together. Its just sooo not japanese drama.

(Well okay the ending clip could be consolation for us Ken and Rei fans in the case that they do not end up together but...It really doesn't seem Japanese drama to do that. )

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » May 13th, '07, 21:10

As an ending..here's what I would like. xD Ken waking up late, like ep. 1, and rushing to the church and realizes it's his own wedding. He's like,"Man, I just had a weird dream x_x" and when they're pronounced man and wife he sees the fairy (forgot his name, sorry XD) sitting in a pew and Ken's like,"wtf? o.O;;"

...-cough- Shutting up. Sorry ^_^;

kashigal

Post by kashigal » May 14th, '07, 00:55

Gorahgurl wrote:T_T Haven't seen 4 yet. Waiting for subs still. But like he said in ep. 3:

"What was I doing six years ago?!" >.> He WAS an oblivious dork back then...less so, now. xD
Haha...totally agree...he was a dork back then...Hope you will watch Ep 4 asap...Then tell me about the part that I have mentioned =)

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 14th, '07, 01:24

ouss wrote:rei wanted a guy with more self-confidence, she felt more than once deceived by ken (cofee milk promise, the message inside the album, the quarter final of baseball,....)
tada was it but not ken.
plus, ken was slow, it s been a while he loves rei and he never confessed to her.

you will see in ep5 why she chose tada (i ve seen it in the ep5 preview so i dont want to spoil the story)

seriously, the personality of ken in the past made me remember a weirdo guy i met last year : silent, slow, hates some jokes, ... :pale:
Ken was a total jerk thefirst time around. He will be different this time and perhaps if he plays his cards right in Episode 5. He will get Rei
first kiss
Ashita hareru kana.....!!!
Also, I like how when the fairy comes at the begining of episode 4 and Ken didn't have a suprised reaction and the fariy got mad.
Has everyone seen episode 4 yet? I would like to talk about some things that happened in it? There are some great points and funny parts.

eUxaZnxRo

Post by eUxaZnxRo » May 14th, '07, 02:22

episode 4 & mikio theory
i guess we can rule out that mikio is gay... too bad :lol but it was a good theory. the producers must have felt that coming and added the 'car-chick' to help mikio out... but i don't think he and that lady look all that convincing together. as a 'couple' i mean. maybe they're a fling
episode 4 overall
i absolutely loved this episode. it was so touching and i understood everything, except the actual conversation that went on... just gotta wait for the subs. what made me mad though, was the fact that he was about to say "suki" and the teacher took that damn picture (that part i understood :lol). i think we need to give that teacher a lesson in photography. i was thinking the whole time that he should've kept looking for that button that was throw out of the window. then i was hoping that ken used his second button of his baseball jersey and he actually did it... go ken! :cheers: and the way he hid it as well... very rei-like in episode 2 :lol
episode 4 & preview
i'm loving the fact that he got slapped like that. it makes me soo much more excited on watching the episode tomorrow. XD i think she slapped him because she was just a little bit surprised on how bold he has become... from the ken-zou she know (the old ken), she would think he would never do anything like that. either it was that or maybe because tada-san was there and she felt that it was not appropriate. :scratch: or maybe she just imagined her (first?) kiss to be more romantic or something like that :roll
although ken is such a dork, i think that's what i love about yamapi's character this time around. you can see that he tried, but he just assumed that rei knew that he felt that way and/or everyone knew that she belong to him... she doesn't and tada-san snatched her up. i don't know if he's a jerk though.
if he was, he wouldn't have help tada-san be liked by the class. he showed the class the roster with the picture and the description of everyone both times
here's a question though: is the guy (potter/ceramist) that gave the speech at rei's wedding the same guy that is the baseball coach and the teacher that drank the coffee milk in episode 2? i rewatched episode 1 and the introduction he said during the speech matched up with that coach/teacher, yet he doesn't look like the same guy.

another thing i noticed: i missed the african marathon runner! :lol i thought that was really funny and i thought he would be like a regular extra or something... all he would need to do is give us the idea that he's training for that marathon in episode 1... come to think of it, if the last episode starts like the first, we might see him again... haha

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 14th, '07, 02:36

Graymouse wrote: Has everyone seen episode 4 yet? I would like to talk about some things that happened in it? There are some great points and funny parts.
Just a wee bit more. I too have been waiting for the conversation to catch up, perhaps even longer than you. But I'm pretty sure the chatter will explode once the subs hit. This was a very well done episode. I'm impressed that the events that happened earlier in the day were shown to have a demonstrable influence on the ceremony he orchestrated in the end... and a lingering influence six years into the future.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 14th, '07, 02:47

What Ken did for Rei at the end of episode 4 was very moving. That sure did score some cool points with Rei! I was almost moved to tears when she started running and heard the button in her graduation tube and the look on her face when she opened it was just awsome. Ken almost said suki! I was mad that the teacher took the picture right when Ken was going to confess! They could have ended the whole series right here. :D Also at the very end before the credits Ken is finally realizing what a jerk he was to her.
Yeah, I am in Japan now so I can't wait to see the next episode tonight! Just wish I can get on here and talk about it. :whistling: It funny that it doesn't matter what language you speak LOVE is the universal language and its understood by everyone. I know just enough Japanese to get by but watching this drama I can understand the relationships between the characters easily.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 14th, '07, 02:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L-AB735 ... ed&search=

Here is an intresting link with translation of the ending theme song! It is so fitting for this drama!

Ashita hareru kana

itonobara

Post by itonobara » May 14th, '07, 04:15

does anyone have links to any of the songs in the show? I have the ending theme but thats it...

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 14th, '07, 04:50

eUxaZnxRo wrote: another thing i noticed: i missed the african marathon runner! :lol i thought that was really funny and i thought he would be like a regular extra or something... all he would need to do is give us the idea that he's training for that marathon in episode 1... come to think of it, if the last episode starts like the first, we might see him again... haha
Ah yes, I missed the marathon runner too! I was hoping he'd show up in every episode in some strange way. Hopefully he'll be in the next episode!

Rikayla

Post by Rikayla » May 14th, '07, 06:33

eUxaZnxRo wrote:episode 4 & mikio theory
i guess we can rule out that mikio is gay... too bad :lol but it was a good theory. the producers must have felt that coming and added the 'car-chick' to help mikio out... but i don't think he and that lady look all that convincing together. as a 'couple' i mean. maybe they're a fling
I hope they're just a fling... But to be honest, episode 5 previews showed A LOT on Mikio (like it seemed ep5 was more about him) rather than on Ken and Rei. Hmmmm. Oh well, not that I'm complaining.

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » May 14th, '07, 12:43

@Graymouse: Can you post spoilers of Episode 5 after you've watched it live? (In spoiler tags of course for those who don't want to be spoiled.)

I'm so dying to know what happens! XD (I never was one to resist suspense well hahaha!)

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 14th, '07, 12:53

kilaalaa wrote:@Graymouse: Can you post spoilers of Episode 5 after you've watched it live? (In spoiler tags of course for those who don't want to be spoiled.)

I'm so dying to know what happens! XD (I never was one to resist suspense well hahaha!)
Well, this one is strange. What do you want to know? Warning! major plot spoiler, click at your own risk.
This episode was mostly centered on Rei's grandfather. Mikio and his girlfriend kissed in front of Ken and Hisashi. Tada-san teaches at the college that Rei attends. Rei and Ken went shopping together for the World Cup that they are going to watch later that night. They both got almost the same things and were fighting over what stuff to buy. There are some funny scenes also. Rei and Ken put price tags on the back of each others shirts thinking that they only did it to the other. They got back to Ken's house and Rei saw the Bass doll that she gave Ken as a birthday present in high school and she smiles very sweetly at the memory and Ken catches her looking at it and she gets nervious and puts it back. They were putting things away and found that her grandfather left Rei's favorite dish in the fridge. Rei found a photograph of her and her grandther that they have taken earlier in the episode. Ken told Rei that she should go see her grandfather off because he will not be around for too much longer so Ken took Rei by the arm and led her out the door and both went running to the bus station to see him off. Rei's grandfather commented that Rei and Ken look nice together (if my japanese is correct). Rei's grandfather leaves and Rei and Ken walk home together and they talk about first kiss. Rei starts to go up the stairs and Ken grabs her by the arm and .....and.....and.......Kisses her square on the lips. She had a suprised look on her face and after a moment she slaps him twice across the face and (didtn't quite get what she said to him) but had a smile on her face as she ran up the stairs and into the house. Ken at the bottom of the stairs said (big victory) or something along that and he came inside right afterwards. They walk inside and find out that all their friends are there cooking their komomiyaki that they bought from the store and were both mad. Mikio takes the picture and Ken goes back to the future. Of course nothing changes except the picture but the worse thing that happened was the slideshow was over!
I will tell more once I watch it again in about a couple of hours or so. I have been recording the drama since episode 1
Last edited by Graymouse on May 14th, '07, 14:16, edited 3 times in total.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » May 14th, '07, 12:54

I just got through watching #5 ... and it was actually the first episode I've watched.

This is a really nice drama... and pretty easy to catch up with having not watched the first 4.

Anyhows,
tonight's episode was just heart warming. I like the change, but the pimp-slap remained.

And then the preview for next week... gah... how can you end with "ケンちゃん、あたしずっと。。。"

And it looks like we're going to have the now cliched 浮気 episode.

Hmm... would you really consider a "grade school" kiss your first kiss? Well, of course a proper lady would. :P

Now I need to go and download the first 4 eps.

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » May 14th, '07, 13:10

Yay thank you Hikkichan for the spoiler! :lol

@Graymouse:
Did Ken and Rei kiss? Hehe! :w00t: :w00t:
Many thanks in advance! I wish I was in Japan too...Gah waiting for even the raw video to be out is so painful... -____-

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 14th, '07, 13:13

hikkichan wrote:I just got through watching #5 ... and it was actually the first episode I've watched.

This is a really nice drama... and pretty easy to catch up with having not watched the first 4.

Anyhows,
tonight's episode was just heart warming. I like the change, but the pimp-slap remained.

And then the preview for next week... gah... how can you end with "ケンちゃん、あたしずっと。。。"

And it looks like we're going to have the now cliched 浮気 episode.

Hmm... would you really consider a "grade school" kiss your first kiss? Well, of course a proper lady would. :P

Now I need to go and download the first 4 eps.
You know I can't believe he still got slapped. It was really short episode and it seemed like Ken was mad because the slideshow is finished. The preview of the next one is intresting poor mikio.....looks like it is on again off again...type of thing with his girlfriend.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » May 14th, '07, 13:33

Yes, he was slapped twice, but you saw her smile as she ran up the stairs... and he knew it; "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAALLL"

But, you know her earned bonus points by taking her to see her grandfather off. The whole episode she just wanted to ditch gramps and do her own thang. Ken, however, realized that jiji won't be around forever, so he brought her all the way out there so she could tell him how great his Tamagoyaki was. You gotta love his answer, too. :)
What cracks me up is Ken's constant use of どんだ~け... is it a foreshadowing of his orientation? :P

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 14th, '07, 13:40

hikkichan wrote:
Yes, he was slapped twice, but you saw her smile as she ran up the stairs... and he knew it; "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAALLL"

But, you know her earned bonus points by taking her to see her grandfather off. The whole episode she just wanted to ditch gramps and do her own thang. Ken, however, realized that jiji won't be around forever, so he brought her all the way out there so she could tell him how great his Tamagoyaki was. You gotta love his answer, too. :)
What cracks me up is Ken's constant use of どんだ~け... is it a foreshadowing of his orientation? :P
Perhaps or perhaps not.
What cracked me up was the shirt the Ken was wearing. "I have great character" I was shocked to find out that the slide show is over. So was he. Did you catch what Ken said to Eri when he found out that there were no more pictures. I am wondering how Ken is going to react in the next episode!

namie

Post by namie » May 14th, '07, 20:54

Nothing again????? :cry: :cry: i can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goggle: :goggle:

najimta

Post by najimta » May 14th, '07, 21:21

this drama is so good. i just started watching it saturday and i`m caught up as far as subbed episodes go. which means i havent seen ep 4 or 5
but i was just thinking and i donno if its been mentioned already (sorry if it has) i think that the final picture ken will change is the wedding picture taken in ep 1. in his place will stand tada and in tada's place he will stand
haha but wait, that pic can`t be in the slideshow. ack, i needa work out the finer details of my happy ending.

shinhaku

Post by shinhaku » May 14th, '07, 22:15

i like the insert song better than the theme song :D

non-angelical

Post by non-angelical » May 14th, '07, 22:18

you mean the monpachi one?
I like them both... :wub:

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 14th, '07, 23:23

Whopee, I'm watching Ep. 5 right now. I'll join the discussion as soon as I'm done.

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 15th, '07, 00:23

Ah drats.. mine's still in BT >,> I was working today! ahaha

edit:

Awesome AWESOME episode 5 :D
Last edited by tritochjay on May 15th, '07, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

lilsh0rtnancy

Post by lilsh0rtnancy » May 15th, '07, 02:24

Ahh... I'm still waiting for my ep. to finish downloading. Meanwhile, can someone answer this please?
There's no pictures in the slideshow? What will happen next? Did they show how he'll change the future in the previews?

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 15th, '07, 03:16

all I can say is....
They kisssedddd!!! wooo hoooooo! Gooooaaaaaaallll!!
yeah, I have nothing of importance to add at the moment :)

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 15th, '07, 03:17

I like epi 5 the most and its not because of the big "scene" but the chemistry between Ken and Rei :D

For those who are interested with the viewership ratings, Proposal scored 16.9 viewership for episode 5.

16.9 is a pretty solid rating considering
Last edited by tritochjay on May 15th, '07, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 15th, '07, 04:26

I hope this helps.
Well, the episode was rather short it ended 10 mins early last night. After Ken got back from the time slip he talked shortly with the fairy and I could not quite understand what he said to Ken but I believe it was along the lines that you are changing the way Rei feels about you. He then snaps his fingers and everybody moves and but this time the film was over and Ken was mad at Eri for not making it longer. A picture then comes up on the screen with Rei and Tad at Rei birthday party. Rei looks at him again and then credits roll. The preview of the next episode is mostly about Mikio and his girlfriend on and off again throughout the episode. However the fairy does come back so a timeslip again is possible. Will let you know more once I watch this again.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 15th, '07, 04:38

Before we disect that "scene" in depth, let me just say that only an actress with rare subtlety and economy in her gestures and expressions could have made that scene work as well as it did. In a span of micro-seconds, Nagasawa Masami's Rei was stunned, embarrassed then elated, thereby creating a moment that was at once wholesome yet a bit naughty, very much what we would expect on such an occasion.

This deserves a second viewing. Will be back later.
Last edited by joeboygo on May 15th, '07, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 15th, '07, 04:48

joeboygo wrote:Before we disect that "scene" in depth, let me just say that only an actress with rare subtlety and economy in her gestures and expressions could have made that scene work as well as it did. In a span of micro-seconds, Nagasawa Masami's Rei was stunned, embarrassed then elated, thereby creating a moment that was at once wholesome and a bit naughty, very much what we would expect on such an occasion.

This deserves a second viewing. Will be back later.
First I would like to talk about what happened earlier in the episode.
What are your thoughts on that scene when Rei saw the bubble head of the Bass doll that she had given him in episode 2. Her smile was beautiful and full of passion and love.
I found myself rewinding that scene many times. Her facial expressions I agree totally sold that scene. To be honest I believe that she wanted him to do that for a long time except she didnt' expect it then. When I first watched the scene I knew something was going to happend by just the way the slow motion started. It seemed like they kissed for a really long time to bad he still got slapped for his efferts but the smile on her face when she ran up the stairs said a lot. (after watching it a couple of times I believe Masami leaned into the kiss too much. It was suppose to look like a spur of the moment thing but she leaned into it. However, it could be that her character wanted Ken to kiss her for a while.) What are your takes on this?
[/spoiler]

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 15th, '07, 04:59

Graymouse wrote:
I found myself rewinding that scene many times. Her facial expressions I agree totally sold that scene. To be honest I believe that she wanted him to do that for a long time except she didnt' expect it then. When I first watched the scene I knew something was going to happend by just the way the slow motion started. It seemed like they kissed for a really long time to bad he still got slapped for his efferts but the smile on her face when she ran up the stairs said a lot.
Ah yes, but
the slaps had to be there for many reasons. For one, they emphasize that the kiss was stolen, and therefore ostensibly improper. But this in turn imbues great meaning to the fact that SHE DID NOT GET ANGRY, but was in fact, rather pleased.
And as to that earlier scene:
That obviously transported her back to a cherished moment. I may have mentioned previously that she was looking for an almost psychic connection between them, which many people found unfair. So I'm sure she's still a bit amazed that Ken came through for her at that time. How much you wanna bet she'll get that same feeling everytime she sees that doll?
If you're alluding to the fact that she reacted spontaneously to it and was a bit sheepish when she realized that he saw her, well what can I say, Ken has obviously done some major damage already, and we're only halfway through the series.
Last edited by joeboygo on May 15th, '07, 05:31, edited 2 times in total.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 15th, '07, 05:00

LOL, reread my prior post...I added some stuff.

^ iChigO ^

Post by ^ iChigO ^ » May 15th, '07, 05:19

i've watched 3 episods so far and i totaly love this drama

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 15th, '07, 05:42

joeboygo wrote:
Graymouse wrote:
I found myself rewinding that scene many times. Her facial expressions I agree totally sold that scene. To be honest I believe that she wanted him to do that for a long time except she didnt' expect it then. When I first watched the scene I knew something was going to happend by just the way the slow motion started. It seemed like they kissed for a really long time to bad he still got slapped for his efferts but the smile on her face when she ran up the stairs said a lot.
Ah yes, but
the slaps had to be there for many reasons. For one, they emphasize that the kiss was stolen, and therefore ostensibly improper. But this in turn imbues great meaning to the fact that SHE DID NOT GET ANGRY, but was in fact, rather pleased.
And as to that earlier scene:
That obviously transported her back to a cherished moment. I may have mentioned previously that she was looking for an almost psychic connection between them, which many people found unfair. So I'm sure she's still a bit amazed that Ken came through for her at that time. How much you wanna bet she'll get that same feeling everytime she sees that doll?
If you're alluding to the fact that she reacted spontaneously to it and was a bit sheepish when she realized that he saw her, well what can I say, Ken has obviously done some major damage already, and we're only halfway through the series.
No not at all. I was just commenting on the reaction and I agree with you. So far Ken has almost done a 360 to the way he was the first time around and its showing by the way the two characters react in other episodes. As actors and as characters I think both of them have very nice chemistry between them.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » May 15th, '07, 05:43

Man, this series is getting really good!

I'm just screaming at the screen. Say you love her already!!! :roll
But I guess it makes sense for him to slowly and gradually open his feeling towards Rei. Great start from the "scene" :thumleft:

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 15th, '07, 05:54

Graymouse wrote:So far Ken has almost done a 360 to the way he was the first time around and its showing by the way the two characters react in other episodes. As actors and as characters I think both of them have very nice chemistry between them.
Speaking of chemistry, what do you think of her reaction after
he gave her a bite of the domburi
they behave exactly like a couple that's been together for a good while.

And 8t Sin, after THE SCENE, aren't the words a bit superfluous now?

Anyway, this deserves another viewing. Will be back later.

BTW, Episode 5 scored a rating of 16.9%. (Kanto)

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 15th, '07, 06:11

joeboygo wrote:
Graymouse wrote:So far Ken has almost done a 360 to the way he was the first time around and its showing by the way the two characters react in other episodes. As actors and as characters I think both of them have very nice chemistry between them.
Speaking of chemistry, what do you think of her reaction after
he gave her a bite of the domburi
they behave exactly like a couple that's been together for a good while.

And 8t Sin, after THE SCENE, aren't the words a bit superfluous now?

Anyway, this deserves another viewing. Will be back later.
joe>
It seemed at first she didn't want to take a bite of his domburi but she did anyways and the look on her face was a bit of suprise. Ken is really turning himself around like I stated before. These little things that he has been doing is starting to add up. I think Ken got some major cool points when he took her to go see off JIJI. Whats your take on the development of Mikio and his girlfriend. In the preview of episode 6 it seems like something is starting between Eri and Hisashi and a little bit of friction is starting between Tada and Rei. Perhaps I am misinturpting the preview...your take?
What this drama reminds me of how I grew up. I had a real close group of friends just like the ones in this drama. As for Ken (Yamashita character) I can relate to the difficulties with women that he had, Childhood friends seem to make better couples then those that grew up with seperate lives and then meet after they have grown up. However, I am not saying that they don't work because I am one of those type of relationships because my wife is Japanese and I am an American and we grew up in different cultures.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 15th, '07, 06:20

Good grief, what was I thinking. That wasn't donburi, but yeah, at least we're talking about the same thing.

THE SCENE has obviously scrambled a few of my circuits.

I don't generally watch the previews, but I'll check this one out after the third run-through.

In my case, I'm cheering for Ken because he gets to do something I've always fantasized about. Most people have no regrets about lost loves, but I'm one of those unfortunate losers that still carries the torch, so to speak.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 15th, '07, 06:26

I thought it was mochi balls on a stick...not sure what that is called in Japanese so I thought that was what it was. Its dongo I believe

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 15th, '07, 06:38

Graymouse wrote:I thought it was mochi balls on a stick...not sure what that is called in Japanese so I thought that was what it was. Its dongo I believe
It looked like takoyaki to me.