[Discussion] Proposal Daisakusen (Operation Love)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 15th, '07, 06:43

"perhaps this deserves another viewing"

belleza

Post by belleza » May 15th, '07, 08:45

let me just say that only an actress with rare subtlety and economy in her gestures and expressions could have made that scene work as well as it did
Yup, that's Masami in a nutshell, and why she is the It girl in J-drama.

Of course, I have no frigging clue what scene that you speak of, since I am still earnestly waiting for tomorrow's Love Song release of Epi 4. Everybody's talking about Episode 5 already!!! :(

Rikayla

Post by Rikayla » May 15th, '07, 09:13

FINALLY MORE MIKIO! <3

I'm probably the only person who ships Mikio x Eri, butttt, other than that, it's nice to finally see more screentime of him. =DDD

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » May 15th, '07, 10:50

joeboygo wrote:
Graymouse wrote:I thought it was mochi balls on a stick...not sure what that is called in Japanese so I thought that was what it was. Its dongo I believe
It looked like takoyaki to me.
I've never once seen Takoyaki on a stick... that's be too unbearbly hot to eat it without ripping it open... then it'd just fall all over the place.

I was trying to think back to a big bowl of donburi, as well... :P

It looked like some random karaage.

If it were dango, it'd be covered in some sort of tare or purple...

namie

Post by namie » May 15th, '07, 11:55

When the episode 4 sub?????? :goggle: :goggle:

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 15th, '07, 14:51

belleza wrote: Of course, I have no frigging clue what scene that you speak of, since I am still earnestly waiting for tomorrow's Love Song release of Epi 4. Everybody's talking about Episode 5 already!!! :(
belleza, the DARK SIDE beckons.

WATCH THE RAW! (cue sinister music)

The raw is NOW. The raw is HERE. The raw is GOOD. The raw calls you. See the raw. See the raw NOW.

(Maniacal laughter ensues.)

But seriously, Episode 4 has not yet gotten it's fair share of talking up, and as soon as the subs hit we'll all go back to it. I will refrain from making none but the most superficial comments about Episode 5 until everybody catches up, but I couldn't help but say something because of THE SCENE.

And hikkichan, I was temporarily dazed after watching THE SCENE. Over and over. Don't kick a man while he's down. That wasn't me. That was THE SCENE talking.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 15th, '07, 15:10

joeboygo wrote:
belleza wrote: Of course, I have no frigging clue what scene that you speak of, since I am still earnestly waiting for tomorrow's Love Song release of Epi 4. Everybody's talking about Episode 5 already!!! :(
belleza, the DARK SIDE beckons.

WATCH THE RAW! (cue sinister music)

The raw is NOW. The raw is HERE. The raw is GOOD. The raw calls you. See the raw. See the raw NOW.

(Maniacal laughter ensues.)

But seriously, Episode 4 has not yet gotten it's fair share of talking up, and as soon as the subs hit we'll all go back to it. I will refrain from making none but the most superficial comments about Episode 5 until everybody catches up, but I couldn't help but say something because of THE SCENE.

And hikkichan, I was temporarily dazed after watching THE SCENE. Over and over. Don't kick a man while he's down. That wasn't me. That was THE SCENE talking.
I guess that will forever be called THE SCENE! :thumright: Yeah! *turns on the TV and watches THE SCENE again. :w00t:
That crazy cab driver makes another appearence in episode 5 and so does Socrotes as well and by the looks of it socrotes will be in episode 6 as well. Intresting.
I agree episode 4 is surely worthy of talking about as well! Everyone hurry and watch the subs so we can talke episode 4 to death. :crazy:

eUxaZnxRo

Post by eUxaZnxRo » May 15th, '07, 16:46

after resisting the previous spoilers, i went back and checked them out after watching episode 5... i was soo tempted to click on those buttons, but i'm glad i didn't :D

about episode 5

THE SCENE :lol
OMG... THE SCENE... do i need to say more? it finally happened... GOOOOOAAAAALLLL! :cheers: score: ken 1: tada-san 0. yup i guess i'm a loser for admitting that i squealed with ecstasy when it occurred :shocked: :w000t: :clap: i was surprised that he got slapped not once, but twice... but weighing that against the much-anticipated-kiss is definitely worth it.
makeup
i thought the makeup department did a very nice job on the overall appearance of the cast. from the 'japan' on yamapi's face in the tsuru x ken's kiss scene to the slap on the face scene... great job! :-)
advertisement
i could not stop laughing when i saw "AIMING FOR THE STARS!!!" on the kitchen cabinet and the table of ken's apartment. JE did an amazing job on throwing subtle clues about NEWS song "Hoshi wo Mezashite"... :mrgreen: Image
mikio & eri & tsuru
so mikio showed off his girlfriend. i dunno if i like her just yet and i think i need to see her more in the coming episode.:unsure: what i noticed though is that mikio and eri would make a very gorgeous couple (am i slow or what)... so i'm going to go with Rikayla and pull for those two... i can definitely say that i don't like eri's new 'volleyball-guy'... he's too tall compared to tsuru and i do like tsuru as well... besides, the preview does not seem to treat eri nicely as "mr. volleyball-guy-turned-business" seems to just ignore her as she tries to stop him... :glare:
socrates and sensei
haha.... socrates + goatie = :lol... i'm glad he's making a regular appearance... it lightens up the scene every now and then... the sensei is back... i guess he's stalking ken, rei, eri, tsuru and mikio all the way to college :D but i gotta say that he's uniform is very very awesome... it is so unique and really glamorous for a male uniform...
regular extras
no. no mr. marathon in this episode either... :x but i can settle for mr. taxi driver :P haha... although i didn't understand a thing, i can guess that he said something close to what he did in episode 1... 'misconception about (fill in occupation of your choice) part x'
yup i'm going to leave it at this... but then again, i have to watch it again, while waiting for lovesong's release...

the RAW is calling me... why is it calling me? i thought i was calling belleza... :P oops my bad, THE SCENE in the RAW is calling me...

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » May 15th, '07, 16:56

:wub: I loved the anticipation throughout this whole series. I love the series even when it started on the first episode. Episode 4 was awesome! Peps starting watching soo discussion can happen! :cheers:

^ iChigO ^

Post by ^ iChigO ^ » May 15th, '07, 18:10

ep4 subs are out ??

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » May 15th, '07, 20:41

Tthere is a subtitles thread for this series, its being done in hardsub and softsub, none for episode 4 are out yet. They will be out whenever they are ready to be released, so hang on.

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » May 15th, '07, 21:21

GOOOOAAAALLLLLL!!!!! Finally the wait for Chinese subbed Episode 5 is over!
Surprisingly, no one said anything about the scenes to do with Rei and her grandpa. I think I must be overly sappy...I actually cried? -____-

But anyway....ahhhhh THE SCENE! I have re-watched it thrice and I am going to re-watch it again before I sleep for it is 5am over here haha...AH but KYAAAAAAAAAA
Seriously, after something like that, I don't know why they're still not together. I guess there must be more stuff that Ken did to disappoint her huh?

And I really really loved Tada-san's face as he finished making the okonomiyaki...it was so dorkalicious! XD I want a happy ending for Tada-san, but I also want a happy ending for Ken and Rei... :-(

And the slideshow didn't really end right? It just changed to having more pictures of Rei and Tada-san, and judging from the previews it seems that a timeslip still happened, so Ken still has hope! But it seems Ken really disappointed her on her birthday in the past(Because she looks kind of sad in the picture with Tada-san), so I wonder what he will do this time round.

Did anyone notice the slight changes in the look Rei gives Ken like right before the ending song started? It was so charged, kind of like she's thinking how it would be like if....

And comparing all the episodes, there has been slight changes in the nuances of Rei's facial expression as Ken catches her eye...Kudos to Masami!

dramatiqu3

Post by dramatiqu3 » May 15th, '07, 21:27

eUxaZnxRo wrote: advertisement
i could not stop laughing when i saw "AIMING FOR THE STARS!!!" on the kitchen cabinet and the table of ken's apartment. JE did an amazing job on throwing subtle clues about NEWS song "Hoshi wo Mezashite"... :mrgreen: Image

Hahaha...glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I also noticed 'Boom Boom Power' and 'Best Friend' written in the kitchen as well :lol

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 15th, '07, 22:17

hikkichan wrote:
Hmm... would you really consider a "grade school" kiss your first kiss? Well, of course a proper lady would. :P
Alright since you brought it up, that just confirms my earlier suspicion that Rei always cared more about their relationship than he did ever since they were little.
Rei wouldn't have considered him her "first ever" all these years if she did not believe that their relationship was special.
That was yet another shared moment that she treasured while he just plain forgot. So now I suspect the reason they aren't together yet is because
she was waiting for him to catch up with her in terms of giving their relationship the appropriate priority, then got fed up when he showed no sign of ever coming around. In other words, he always made her feel that he didn't care as much for her as she did for him.
Tell me and graymouse what you think after you've seen the first three episodes.
hikkichan wrote:
And then the preview for next week... gah... how can you end with "ケンちゃん、あたしずっと。。。"
That's why I don't watch previews. The pain of anticipation is bad enough without those damned teasers. Anyway
after getting us all hyped up, I'll bet it's nothing important, like "I've always wanted to kick your butt" or something along those lines.
Ok that's my last comment on Episode 5 for now.

lunargen

Post by lunargen » May 15th, '07, 23:05

honestly, if it weren't for Pi starring in this drama, I'd completely be on Tada's side. I mean, come on, he's already losing a battle he doesn't even know exists. and that is just downright unfair. :(

以上

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 16th, '07, 00:02

lunargen wrote:

honestly, if it weren't for Pi starring in this drama, I'd completely be on Tada's side. I mean, come on, he's already losing a battle he doesn't even know exists. and that is just downright unfair. :(

以上

erm.....I don't see it that way. I am under the impression that since Ken screwed up with Rei throughout the years Rei settled for second best. (I am not saying Tada isn't cool) Watch the first episode again and even the fairy says, " that humans never often marry those who they love the most but to those who they love the second most" Ken let Rei slip away. In my opinion Rei doesn't love Tada the way she love Ken. Ken is her true love and they need to be married. Of course this is my humble opinion. The whole show is about how someone can go back and fix the wrongs in their lives. Unforutuantely at Rei's wedding Ken realized that it was waaay to late to fix things with his childhood friend.

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 16th, '07, 00:07

zomg I called it "the scene" and now everybody calls it the scene! :D

still though, that scene pales in comparison with the supermarket bit of the episode.

--

imho, Tada isn't losing a battle since they're not competing in any way.. YET. And besides Rei keeps dropping these bombs to Ken and I think the old Ken was an idiot for missing most of it :D

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 16th, '07, 00:12

tritochjay wrote:zomg I called it "the scene" and now everybody calls it the scene! :D

still though, that scene pales in comparison with the supermarket bit of the episode.
The supermarket scene was pretty cool. I like how they ended up putting stickers on the back of each others shirt but didn't realize the other has done the same. This scene also show how close they are. By the stickers and by almost buying the exact same thing.

lilsh0rtnancy

Post by lilsh0rtnancy » May 16th, '07, 04:23

My favorite scenes form Ep. 5:
The close up of Pi when he woke up and discovered Tsuru next to him.

The look Rei gave when she was looking at the R. Bass figurine. It definitely shows that the change he made really did make a difference, even though we haven't seen it yet in the future. And Masami's expression was just... WOW.

The supermarket scene and how they both picked the same items and did the same thing (stuck discount stickers on each other's backs :lol )

The meat-on-the-stick eating scene. Rei's "oishi" (delicious... did I spell that correctly in romaji?) Her expression was adorable too.

The look at Ken gave her when she was waving goodbye to her grandpa. I think Yamapi has GORGEOUS, innocent and sincere looking eyes. If he can learn how to use his eyes to express emotions then he'll become a GREAT actor.

Of course the "IT SCENE". I've never seen Yamapi kiss a girl before, but damn... he was so HOT! The way they shot it and angled it definitely showed off his body.

The slap and smile Rei gave him after that kiss. It was just so adorable.

Ken's "GOAL!" How can Rei not hear that?

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 16th, '07, 05:13

The look Rei gave when she was looking at the R. Bass figurine. It definitely shows that the change he made really did make a difference, even though we haven't seen it yet in the future. And Masami's expression was just... WOW.
She looked like a kid in a candy store. That has to be one of my favorite facial expressions for Masami thus far. She looked absolutely stunning! :w00t:
The supermarket scene and how they both picked the same items and did the same thing (stuck discount stickers on each other's backs :lol )
I laughed so hard at this scene.
Ken's "GOAL!" How can Rei not hear that?
Or their friends inside.........
I am actually suprised that no one noticed the slap mark across Ken's face. Everyone looked dead at him when he and Rei walked in and started to complain that they were cooking their komomiyaki. (sp?) But those two played "it" of very well.

I am curious on how Hisashi and Eri relationship is going to develop. Hisashi is a very strange character. He always seems to be sticking stuff in peoples face, twirling Ken hair (when they caught Mikio and his girlfriend in the car), almost kissed Mikio and Ken (at the begining of the timeslip) WTH? Hisashi is a very eccentric character and I have wonder on many occasions that he could be the one...erm...well....fruity. :pale:
Last edited by Graymouse on May 16th, '07, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.

dramatiqu3

Post by dramatiqu3 » May 16th, '07, 05:24

lilsh0rtnancy wrote:My favorite scenes form Ep. 5:

The supermarket scene and how they both picked the same items and did the same thing (stuck discount stickers on each other's backs Laugh )

The look at Ken gave her when she was waving goodbye to her grandpa. I think Yamapi has GORGEOUS, innocent and sincere looking eyes. If he can learn how to use his eyes to express emotions then he'll become a GREAT actor.

Of course the "IT SCENE". I've never seen Yamapi kiss a girl before, but damn... he was so HOT! The way they shot it and angled it definitely showed off his body.

AGREED. I think it's the look of longing and sincerity in his eyes that almost killed me in the previous episodes, namely during the whole wedding scene in the first ep. If he could always use his eyes to express his feelings...then....WOAH :wub: :lol

And I think Masami did a awesome job too. Her expressions really added to the chemistry between the two. I'll be really disappointed if they don't end up together!

~
Ahaha...Yamapi looked so hot in 'THE SCENE'!! :w00t: I'm guessing I'm not the only person who replayed that part over at least 10 times. lol
Last edited by dramatiqu3 on May 16th, '07, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.

shazai

Post by shazai » May 16th, '07, 05:33

Hi guys anyway the last look of masami to pi before the credit roll is full of love....

dramatiqu3

Post by dramatiqu3 » May 16th, '07, 05:39

Graymouse wrote:
Or their friends inside.........
I am actually suprised that no one noticed the slap mark across Ken's face. Everyone looked dead at him when he and Rei walked in and started to complain that they were cooking their komomiyaki. (sp?) But those two played "it" of very well.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. The red fingermarks must've been pretty obvious if even I could notice it :roll

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 16th, '07, 06:06

Argh I couldn't resist anymore! Someone please talk to me.

In the conversation leading up to THE SCENE, was anybody else taken aback when Rei revealed that
Kenzou da yo! (It was you, you f**ktard!)
For me, that exchange doubled the sugar content of THE SCENE. Yes, for those who've viewed it without the benefit of the dialogue, THE SCENE is actually twice as sweet as it looks. There's some awesome writing going on here. I can only wonder what kind experiences the scriptwriters are drawing upon, because I can't believe that anybody can conjure all this stuff without having lived through something similar in their own lives.

lilsh0rtnancy

Post by lilsh0rtnancy » May 16th, '07, 06:21

dramatiqu3 wrote:
lilsh0rtnancy wrote:My favorite scenes form Ep. 5:

The supermarket scene and how they both picked the same items and did the same thing (stuck discount stickers on each other's backs Laugh )

AGREED. I think it's the look of longing and sincerity in his eyes that almost killed me in the previous episodes, namely during the whole wedding scene in the first ep. If he could always use his eyes to express his feelings...then....WOAH :wub: :lol

And I think Masami did a awesome job too. Her expressions really added to the chemistry between the two. I'll be really disappointed if they don't end up together!

~
Ahaha...Yamapi looked so hot in 'THE SCENE'!! :w00t: I'm guessing I'm not the only person who replayed that part over at least 10 times. lol

Yup... his look of longing and sadness in the first ep. when he was watching those pictures of him & Rei together was really touching.... :cry:

lunargen

Post by lunargen » May 16th, '07, 06:30

@ graymouse - that is true as well, but then, i think Tada wouldn't be married to her now had he not shown any merit for her to actually want to marry him ne? so i guess that's just is what's bothering me... cause Tada won her over fair and square. agh im so confused im defending both sides of the fence ahahaha.

@ joeboygo -
i find that that scene, for those who didnt understand much japanese, was missed by most, but it was for me one of the pinnacle moments in this ep! heck, i actually like the dialogue more than the kiss - the dialogue showed more dynamic between the two of them, plus further understanding of rei as well. the kiss, i fully expected to come, so i wasn't as blatantly thrilled as to when she admits that she considers ken her first kiss. :D

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 16th, '07, 06:37

joeboygo wrote:Argh I couldn't resist anymore! Someone please talk to me.

In the conversation leading up to THE SCENE, was anybody else taken aback when Rei revealed that
Kenzou da yo! (It was you, you f**ktard!)
For me, that exchange doubled the sugar content of THE SCENE. Yes, for those who've viewed it without the benefit of the dialogue, THE SCENE is actually twice as sweet as it looks. There's some awesome writing going on here. I can only wonder what kind experiences the scriptwriters are drawing upon, because I can't believe that anybody can conjure all this stuff without having lived through something similar in their own lives.
No one discussed it cause it was a major spoiler that can be avoided. :D

Not like the "scene" where people would REACT 100% to.

Also the look Rei gave before saying those lines was just pure awesome WIN! (its the same look she gave to the old ken in episode 2 where Ken was asking for his birthday present)

Still though, Ken is the worst for not even remembering the first kiss then again, Ken scored major points for the retort+words :D
graymouse - that is true as well, but then, i think Tada wouldn't be married to her now had he not shown any merit for her to actually want to marry him ne? so i guess that's just is what's bothering me... cause Tada won her over fair and square. agh im so confused im defending both sides of the fence ahahaha.
We haven't seen Tada make a move yet. I have a tingling feeling that the reason Tada and Rei ended up together was partly because of Ken's blunder. There's 6 episodes left, plenty of time to construct Tada and Rei and uhh Ken and Rei too for that matter :D

So who else is Filipino here? O,o haha
Last edited by tritochjay on May 16th, '07, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 16th, '07, 06:50

Ah, thank you tritochjay, and marami salamat lunargen. I was feeling alone there. In a way, aren't those who don't understand a word a bit luckier, in that THE SCENE packed a bit more of a shock factor for them? They get to appreciate THE SCENE two ways. The first time for just the sheer visceral effect seeing it finally happen, then the second time for the finer touches, especially from Masami. Once the subs hit, I'm sure people will gain a deeper appreciation for Rei's reactions, and how Masami just absolutely nailed it.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 16th, '07, 08:38

joeboygo wrote:Ah, thank you tritochjay, and marami salamat lunargen. I was feeling alone there. In a way, aren't those who don't understand a word a bit luckier, in that THE SCENE packed a bit more of a shock factor for them? They get to appreciate THE SCENE two ways. The first time for just the sheer visceral effect seeing it finally happen, then the second time for the finer touches, especially from Masami. Once the subs hit, I'm sure people will gain a deeper appreciation for Rei's reactions, and how Masami just absolutely nailed it.
@Joe
I am not 100% fluent in Japanese but I did catch the "it was you dummy" because right after saying that she poffed up her lips and walked of just mumbling stuff under her breath. After the kiss happened what did Ken say to her? I know that she replied, that Ken listened to what JIiJI said earlier in the episode.
@lunargen I am with you in thinking that it was because Ken was so dumb not to pick up on the hints that Rei was leaving him. She finally gave up amd searched for greener pasters. However I don't think she should be married to Tada-san. Its almost like Rei had to choke down the feelings for Ken in order to marry Tada and now with Ken time slipping its getting harder and harder for Rei to keep her feeling in check so to speak.

non-angelical

Post by non-angelical » May 16th, '07, 14:12

^^ It's something along the line:
"That, just now, had reseted it (the memory of the first kiss)......-could not really got the second sentence but something about they didn't remember it-"
And with that....he scored! GOAL!!!
:wub:

really, if it were me, I'd be offended coz
he stole a kiss
, but would melt as soon as he said that. XD

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » May 16th, '07, 14:31

Can I try translating? This is spoiler! Note: spoiler!
Ken: That was the first kiss, okay?
Its unfair if I'm the only one who couldn't remember it...

Rei: What are you doing?
*slaps him*
Ken: You didn't need to slap me...
*slaps him again*
Ken: Twice!

Rei: That was for Jiji!

Okay I suck as a translator. -____-
Last edited by kilaalaa on May 16th, '07, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

lunargen

Post by lunargen » May 16th, '07, 16:28

@ joeboygo - areeee paano mo nalaman na pinoy ako? :D cause i dont remember mentioning it here hehehe. or maybe i have.. hmmm.. ahaha im going senile! pero totoo,
that scene would've been a lot more explosive for the others had they understood what they were talking about, cause the lines were practically laying the tracks for the imminent SCENE. i guess that's why i wasn't too thrilled with the scene, cause hearing what masami said, you could almost hear the gears clinking in ken's head; you'd know IT was coming.
Last edited by lunargen on May 17th, '07, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

shazai

Post by shazai » May 16th, '07, 16:34

Pinoy ka LUNARGEN! and you're also a fansubber! That's neat!!!!
So they have kissed before the kissing scene in ep 5 but Ken cant remember?
Last edited by shazai on May 16th, '07, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » May 16th, '07, 16:46

:wub: That is a little confusing to follow about kissing before... :roll

Its just do cute to see their Screen Chemistry again! :wub:

shazai

Post by shazai » May 16th, '07, 16:49

haruhi-san, i agree with you, They have a great screen chemistry in here and also Dragon Zakura... I'm happy that they have another drama with them together because in Dragon Zakura, their characters' relationship are not that develop and since it is not purely about them but in ProDai, the drama is revolving around their characters' lives and relationships..... :)

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » May 16th, '07, 16:57

Imagine if he just started dating her outside of the series. I cant wait for the next episode!

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » May 16th, '07, 17:03

lunargen wrote:@ joeboygo - areeee paano mo nalaman na pinoy ako? :D cause i dont remember mentioning it here hehehe. or maybe i have.. hmmm.. ahaha im going senile! pero totoo, that scene would've been a lot more explosive for the others had they understood what they were talking about, cause the lines were practically laying the tracks for the imminent SCENE. i guess that's why i wasn't too thrilled with the scene, cause hearing what masami said, you could almost hear the gears clinking in ken's head; you'd know IT was coming.
Yeah it was kind of obvious after what she said, but it was sweet to know. The fact that Rei remembers it is probably indication that she liked Ken even at that time. Hehe so cute. I wanted them to like show a flashback or something because little Ken and Rei were so cute!

shazai

Post by shazai » May 16th, '07, 17:05

haruhi-san, honestly they look good together... :)

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 16th, '07, 17:12

lunargen wrote:@ joeboygo - areeee paano mo nalaman na pinoy ako? :D cause i dont remember mentioning it here hehehe. or maybe i have.. hmmm.. ahaha im going senile! pero totoo, that scene would've been a lot more explosive for the others had they understood what they were talking about, cause the lines were practically laying the tracks for the imminent SCENE. i guess that's why i wasn't too thrilled with the scene, cause hearing what masami said, you could almost hear the gears clinking in ken's head; you'd know IT was coming.
LOL you didn't have to understand everything that they were saying because it was very obvious to me at least that they will kiss in the episode. The characters have been talking about "first kiss" the whole episode. Just because many people don't speak or can pick out a word or two here and there don't mean that they don't understand what happend. Besides, I had my translator sitting right here besides me wataching the episode with me :D
One last complaint.....if you are going to talk about the plot please be curtious to use the spoilers because there are some people that want to wait and watch this with the subs. :-( Sorry perhaps I have over-stepped my boundries...... :unsure:
Last edited by Graymouse on May 16th, '07, 17:25, edited 2 times in total.

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » May 16th, '07, 17:19

:-) You arent overstepping boundaries. I agree with you a bit on that.
about the Chuu :P

lunargen

Post by lunargen » May 17th, '07, 00:12

@ shazai -
yes they have. nung grade school sila. but ken doesnt remember so :P
@ graymouse -
LOL you didn't have to understand everything that they were saying because it was very obvious to me at least that they will kiss in the episode. The characters have been talking about "first kiss" the whole episode. Just because many people don't speak or can pick out a word or two here and there don't mean that they don't understand what happend. Besides, I had my translator sitting right here besides me wataching the episode with me
haha yeah it may have been obvious to some, but then i've noticed that most others didnt really expect it, cause in the past, Pi didn't get to do as much romantic interaction as he does now, so they sorta expected it to be the same for this drama too ehehe. im not saying that people didn't see it coming cause they didn't understand, what i meant was that they (those who didnt get the dialogue much) expected to not see it coming, cause that's how its always been with Pi's dramas. :lol
oops sorry about not using the spoiler tag earlier too ehehehehj

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 17th, '07, 05:19

No matter how I look at it, the kiss scene was obvious as day.

@ Lunargen, grabeh ha, galing mo naman translator ka! di pa ako polished sa japanese masyado pero idol ko talaga yung mga translators! :D

lunargen

Post by lunargen » May 17th, '07, 07:02

tritochjay wrote:
No matter how I look at it, the kiss scene was obvious as day.
@ Lunargen, grabeh ha, galing mo naman translator ka! di pa ako polished sa japanese masyado pero idol ko talaga yung mga translators! :D
hehe i dont know, maybe i've just watched too many Pi shows so i kinda expected to not see anything of the sort ehehe. i had that feeling that there was gonna be one, but only during the dialogue between him and masami did i feel completely sure that there was gonna be one hehehe. and naman hindi ako magaling AT ALL ehheheh. nakakahiya nga eh kasi feeling ko medyo marami akong namamali mali eheheh. :D

j_halo7

Post by j_halo7 » May 17th, '07, 08:55

hey i dunno if its alright to ask in here but does anyone have the romanization of the ending song Ashita Hareru Kana by Keisuke Kuwata? i really like this song.

namie

Post by namie » May 17th, '07, 09:00

lunargen wrote:@ shazai -
Mmm....what is
NUNG grade?

chemisiq

Post by chemisiq » May 17th, '07, 09:09

Hey guys....does anybody could share me the song from Mogul 800 on epi.2??
Loving this drama oredi.....always like seeing yamapi...hehe.......in addition, nagasawa megumi is just awesomely gorgeous....Cant wait to see them make out or something..........

cheers,

shazai

Post by shazai » May 17th, '07, 09:10

Thanks Lunargen hehe!

namie
I ask lunargen about the first kiss on episode 5 and told me that ken doesnt remember that he and rei have kissed before in grade school wherein rei considered it her first kiss.
i hope it helps....

namie

Post by namie » May 17th, '07, 10:25

shazai wrote:Thanks Lunargen hehe!

namie
I ask lunargen about the first kiss on episode 5 and told me that ken doesnt remember that he and rei have kissed before in grade school wherein rei considered it her first kiss.
i hope it helps....
Oh thank you!! Wakatta!! ^^

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 17th, '07, 10:40

UH OH!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: I just watched the preview.........
Erm......in the preview.......Rei is under the impression that Ken has cheated on her! Is this a misunderstanding! UGH! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Are they in a "relationship" duriing episode 6!!! I think this is where Tada makes his move! Shame on him for taking advantage of her while she is on the rebound.... :pale:

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 17th, '07, 10:52

namie wrote:
lunargen wrote:@ shazai -
Mmm....what is
NUNG grade?
On the way home from the bus station Ken and Rei keep chatting and eventually the topic of first kiss comes up, because Ken wants to know who/when Rei’s was with. She gets really angry that he doesn’t remember because it was him! During PE in elementary school they kissed, though Ken doesn’t remember at all. As they arrive at Ken’s apartment complex, Ken grabs Rei’s hand and pulls her into a kiss. She freaks out and slaps him twice, but overall looks happy (smiling).

shazai

Post by shazai » May 17th, '07, 10:57

Graymouse wrote:UH OH!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: I just watched the preview.........
Erm......in the preview.......Rei is under the impression that Ken has cheated on her! Is this a misunderstanding! UGH! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Are they in a "relationship" duriing episode 6!!! I think this is where Tada makes his move! Shame on him for taking advantage of her while she is on the rebound.... :pale:
I think the old ken is not as sensitive as the New Ken anyway I think that Ken would save the day.... Because he is sure of his feelings for rei....

lunargen

Post by lunargen » May 17th, '07, 16:31

you mean the after episode preview, or the preview they air on TV? i wanna see the latter too!! :lol :lol

@ namie - sorry for the misunderstanding. we were speaking in our native tongue so that's why.

@chemisiq - the monpachi song is posted in the yamapi thread here. just search the back entries ehehe. sorry im not much help.:D

@jhalo7 - the PV with karaoke is on the softsubs page. hope that helps. :-)
Last edited by lunargen on May 17th, '07, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

doasan

Post by doasan » May 17th, '07, 16:36

Nothing to add..I'm so sad... ='( but I wanna see the EP XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD just to put a calification ! xDDD

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 17th, '07, 21:48

Graymouse wrote:@Joe
I am not 100% fluent in Japanese but I did catch the "it was you dummy" because right after saying that she poffed up her lips and walked of just mumbling stuff under her breath. After the kiss happened what did Ken say to her? I know that she replied, that Ken listened to what JIiJI said earlier in the episode.
Omachi shimashita, gomen nasai. I'm deliberately cutting down on my visits here lest I begin to annoy otherrs or get overly engrossed in the escapist urge. Anyway, my listening skills are far from ace, and I'll barely pass level 4 proficiency, but here goes:
he said: 今 の 遺憾 *[?]* が...俺 丈 覚えてない な 不公平 だろう. ("Ima no ikan *[?]* ga ...ore dake oboetenai na fukouhei daro") which I took to mean "[but] perhaps the [truely] regrettable injustice of the moment is that ("you alone" or) I alone can't remember [our first kiss]." If I were to sub it, I would use "you alone remember" even though "I alone can't remember" is more literally precise.
Pretty please, if I misheard it, ask your "translator" to fill in any gaps for me, because I can barely make anything out. Also, how lucky can a bastard get, watching something like this in the warm presence of his significant other.

@ lunargen
"Di ba? :whistling:
Anyway, as you may have noticed, each episode so far tends to trump the one immediately preceding in terms of the emotional hit points from Ken's romantic heists. So just when you thought the great train robbery he pulled in Episode 4 would be a tough act to follow, they come up with THE SCENE in Epsidoe 5. Problem: we're only halfway through the series, and no storyteller worth his salt would let the emotional apex occur so early in his tale. So how do you top THE SCENE? May I humbly offer my bold prediction:
THE SCENE II - Lingering, Uninhibited, More Intense & Unabashed. Comiing soon to a final wedding episode near you.
Consider yourselves warned (mwahahaha). And if it should in fact come to pass, remember that you heard it here first from meitantei joeboygo. :P

@ lunargen
"Di ba? :D

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 18th, '07, 00:10

There's got to be catch somewhere somewhen. :D I'm looking into some very emotional stuff to happen to them in the upcoming episodes, not just with the Ken x Rei pair but with Tada x Rei pair as well.

the dialogue after the kiss- simplified
right now i dont remember [the kiss] back in grade school ... As for the jichan/jiji, Rei must have been pissed cause Ken didn't keep tabs with grandpa! :D haha
I'd use that if I'd be subbing it :D

@Lunargen
galing mo nga eh. believe ako. Yung sa kiss, well episode 4 end preview ko pa alam na magkikiss sila.. ganun na un (siguro pag madami ka na talaga napanood na anime/drama parang sixth sense na un! :D

lunargen

Post by lunargen » May 18th, '07, 00:12

@ joeboygo - oh how you amuse me :D
as to that particular line, i already finished translating ep5 (but still subject to QCing though ehehe), and the way i translated it was: this is the first time for me... it's unfair how im the only one who can't remember. :D the romanji of the line was " ima no, ikkame na.... ore dake oboetenai no fukuohei darou" but im not so sure cause my grammar is poor ahaha
and regarding your observation:
true, i am wondering how they'd be able to top that off. i mean really, what else can beat a kiss? and how will they prolong the viewer's agony for 6 more eps? it boggles me... unless something really drastic happens. i was thinking at first, in the middle of the series, those getting married will be a completely different set of people, and from then on, Rei will be fair game, and Ken will now truly go on a "Proposal Plan" to win her back. And seeing that Rei emotional awareness now is completely different, i can totally see that concretizing ehehe. but we are yet to see what's to come... so idrk...:whistling:
@ trichtojay -
*for those who are not filipino, excuse us while we banter off :DD*

haha ngayon ko lang narealize. maybe kaya di ko inexpect, kasi ayokong makita. akin lang si Pi! AKIN LANG HAHAHAH!

microsoftExcelExcel

Post by microsoftExcelExcel » May 18th, '07, 00:35

i feel so behind in the discussion cause i have to wait for hardsubs, and by the time they come out, the next one is already there.

Anyway, i'm sorry for going backwards on this, but i really liked episode four. I'm starting to appreciate the script, and i actually really like yamapi's portrayal of his character. I might sound a little stupid for saying this, but this is the first drama that i've watched where i was actually surprised by how things turned out in each episode (the C.D., the jersey button, etc.). I have yet to find it boring(which i hope it will never be), and yamapi's new ideas never cease to amaze me. :D

On a side note, Hiraoka Yuuta has a movie with Erika Toda and an upcoming drama with Inoue Mao. ZOMG, I am stoked! :DDD

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 18th, '07, 02:29

lunargen wrote:
you mean the after episode preview, or the preview they air on TV? i wanna see the latter too!! :lol :lol

@ namie - sorry for the misunderstanding. we were speaking in our native tongue so that's why.

@chemisiq - the monpachi song is posted in the yamapi thread here. just search the back entries ehehe. sorry im not much help.:D

@jhalo7 - the PV with karaoke is on the softsubs page. hope that helps. :-)
The preview after the episode.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 18th, '07, 02:34

lunargen wrote:@ joeboygo - oh how you amuse me :D
as to that particular line, i already finished translating ep5 (but still subject to QCing though ehehe), and the way i translated it was: this is the first time for me... it's unfair how im the only one who can't remember. :D the romanji of the line was " ima no, ikkame na.... ore dake oboetenai no fukuohei darou" but im not so sure cause my grammar is poor ahaha
This is why the missionaries cursed Nihon-go as "that language invented by the devil to thwart the spread of the word of God." Don't be so modest. You're clearly more fluent than most, certainly better than me. And wow you're already done with #5? Hayasugimas yo. :O Oops, I meant to say super-bilis!. You were obviously inspired by the halik. :mrgreen:
microsoftExcelExcel wrote:i feel so behind in the discussion cause i have to wait for hardsubs, and by the time they come out, the next one is already there.

Anyway, i'm sorry for going backwards on this, but i really liked episode four. I'm starting to appreciate the script, and i actually really like yamapi's portrayal of his character.
No, we absolutely should be talking about Episode 4 right now. In fact the silence is deafening. Hasn't everybody seen the sub yet? I thought this thread would be much noisier by now.

belleza

Post by belleza » May 18th, '07, 02:51

No, we absolutely should be talking about Episode 4 right now. In fact the silence is deafening. Hasn't everybody seen the sub yet? I thought this thread would be much noisier by now.
It seems like a long time because it took about a week and a half for the turnaround. After I watch it tonight, I'm going to try to reply to 6 pages of posts. Ugh.

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 18th, '07, 04:28

@lunargen - lemme QC for you. I am spot on when it comes to typos and word phrasing. :D and ofcourse
akin lang si masami!! hahaha ganda nya.. was looking around at youtube, may bikini shoots pala siya.. im so jealous :D haha

And I agree with joe and the others, the silence is deafening especially when the execution of the drama was perrrrrrfect from the get go episode 1.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 18th, '07, 04:42

Yes lunargen, don't hate Masami just 'cuz she's da bomb. If it makes you feel better, just pretend that it was you who was in THE SCENE instead. But don't do it tonight please. Because tonight. I"M pretending to be Ken in THE SCENE. Otherwise, ako ang mahalik mo - hala ka. :pale:

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 18th, '07, 08:44

Well episode 4 subs have been out for a little bit. Lets discuss episode 4. We have been stuck on Episode 5 because of the "the scene". We have not gave episode 4 its most deserving discussion.
Torwards the end of the episode when the 5 of them went back to their school and spun in the principle chair, made tea in the chem lab, and went bowling in the hallway. It reminded me of my last day of school. I have done similar things when I gradutated highschool. "Ken commented that these time were the best" I thought the whole thing with Ken's 2nd button was funny. Rei seemed like she was totally crushed when she found out that Ken had already given his button away but of course she played it off saying that she was worried that noone wanted his button. I felt so sad for Rei.

Ken made up for it for the "manager graduation" I was almost moved to tears. That was a huge step for Ken. I beleive he said that he considers most of his highshcool memories not in his school uniform but in his baseball uniform. When Rei went to go take the picture with everyone and heard that rattle in her graduation tube and when she opened it up and it was Ken's second button of his baseball uniform she was in total shock.
@joe When Ken went back to the future and Tada asked her if she got someones 2nd button or not how did you feel when Rei sorta lied about it?

belleza

Post by belleza » May 18th, '07, 09:36

Thought on Episode 4 . ..

Gotta. Have. This. Soundtrack. Romantic comedy + orchestra with horn section = Dancing Belleza!!! :D And definitely laugh at the little Kurosagi joke at the beginning of the episode.

The episode played pretty well, something like a cross between H2 and Nobuta Wo Produce. Part of me wishes the show had some of the oddball, but nostalgic texture of Nobuta. We hear Ken often framing the scenes against his "present" memories. Nobuta had a similar 3rd person perspective, but I felt there that it elevated the primary story into a kind of fairy tale. There was a romance there, a bleary eyed smile at friendship and sensitivity toward the moment transcended its absurdity; whereas here, it plays more like a comic strip of their lives. This show could use some of that panache.

I'm really enjoying the chemistry between Masami and maP is very good. There's a good # of sequences in Episode 4 (particularly when she's talking about the meaning of the button) where Masami's melancholy whimsy eerily channels Matsushita Nanako, and then in the last 15, her mix of subtle, shifting reaction shots -- the way her eyes shimmer from some new discovery of private feeling -- recalled Yuko Takeuchi. This is a good palate cleanser from her one-note cheese-and-wine in Sailor Fuku. Yamapi has gotten better episode to episode. He's really at his best when he's with the boys and in a leadership position; a position of some power seems to bring out more of his comic timing. I actually thought many of his best scenes have been against the angel. Maybe a suit makes a man and Yamapi can be irresististably dapper when he's allowed to dress well, or maybe it give him enough comfort space to indulge his chilltown weirdness. I don't know. He's playing off Masami as well as I thought he'd be; hopefully the script will loosen up a little and let him adlib more. Watching him act is a lesson in accepting limitations and then enjoying the baby steps, knowing that if he ever fully grown into his arrogant disposition, kissy lips, and quiet eccentricity, he'd be a great, fun lead.

Episode 4 did the best job, so far, of revealing Ken. It's the first time I really understood him, how unable he is to really enjoy dancing in the moment, even if that he already know the exact choreography of that moment. He seems as paralyzed as he was then. And it's hard for me to empathize with his hormonal, silly disposition as a high schooler, or his morose self-pity as a man. It's hard because he still has little insight into her own self-absorption. His desperation seems more palpable now, but his negative self-talk from an adult among kids is especially grating.

Episode 4 was a wonderful character study of "the writer." To me, Ken revealed the one gift that could melt the ice between them, and right now he doesn't realize it. However incapable he is, however locked into an inert cycle of adolescent/adult ADD, Ken the writer seems to escape that. Well chosen words, humble, and exceptionally tender.
For all his attempts at pomp and circumstance, it's ironic that the two moments up through Episode 4 which makes her cry are when he writes down his feelings for her, of their relationship, of his genuine gratitude and regret. It's in his words, much like his voiceovers, where we really can see Ken's heart as an adult (even when he's an adult, he's still kinda . . . ) and above all, that we can see him capture the narrative of their friendship/relationship. When Ken ran off his speech at the wedding, he doesn't realize that she felt much the same thing, maybe not then but before at some point. And when Ken delivered his benediction for Rei (as well as Eri), he delicately captured her suffering patience and nagging, but sincere loyalty to him. It surprises her, it shakes her being, to hear someone tell the story of her life. And it maybe kills her a little that, sometimes, it's Ken telling her their story. Sometimes, but not often enough.
So, now, I'm looking at Ken's misadventure from the sensibility of a would-be writer, silly and goofily lost in the present, but a deep lover of personal history and the narrative of "special moments." If only Ken can share this with Rei, if only he can express her denial and frustration over their impossible intimacy, if only he can cross over from the pools of her disappointinment . . .

But, then, she has to change too. And, weirdly, it looks like Tada may be the one who really changes her.
It's delicious irony to watch Rei and Tada's unfolding friendship from the get-go. When he comes back to the school, Tada is already a changed man, emboldened by the successful coda of his high school apprenticeship and his own increasing confidence. He laughs and shares easily with Rei and Eri. He thanks Rei. He connects with Rei. She seems almost shocked someone -- ANYONE -- noticed her efforts. We see Ken running in circles to change history, but he could also stand back and watch Rei and Tada, the way Rei seems to respond to him from her needs, or even Eri and Hashahi, and how Hashai just has no fear, no compunction in making the moment matter at expense of his pride. And Hashahi, unlike Ken, has a very short memory. And Ken doesn't yet see what made Tada special. He doesn't yet see whether Rei was a better person for Tada. Maybe he ends up writing a speech about them too.
Okay, now going to go back into all the posts on Epi 4 . ..

final_eric

Post by final_eric » May 18th, '07, 10:01

just watched ep5 yesterday at night, only thing i can says is: this is the best eps i ve seen in Proposal Daisakusen!!
Although I dont really want to let Ken to do 'THAT' to Rei( really really like Masami-san), but its still touching my heart!!!
What i can do is just pretend i m Ken :P, and i just did "THAT" to Rei!!
Goooooooooaaaaaaaaaallll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P ( I think i m not the only one :P)
looking forward to the next eps!
I m thinking how would the story goes, cuz the upcoming slideshow are only photo of Rei and Tada, how can Ken be able to go back to the past? i m very curious sbout that!!^^

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 18th, '07, 10:12

@Belleza That was extremely deep. IMHO from what I gathered thus far and including up to episode 6 is that Rei used Tada as a safety net. I don't think it is fair to Tada that Rei is doing that. I once stated before the fairy said that "humans don't always marry the ones they love the most but the ones that they love second most. Personally what that means to me is that although Rei loves Tada-san but she will always have that special spot in her heart for Ken. I believe that she loves Ken more then Tada but she settled for Tada-san when Ken missed all her signals.

belleza

Post by belleza » May 18th, '07, 10:50

I think Ken's perspective, the way he built this tragic love story in his head between him and Rei, is perfect reflection of your consummate writer. He's still only thinking about what he wants, and the most spectacular way to have what he wants, and the most only "true ending" to his thwarted feelings. Sometimes it's not about losing what you love, but loving what you lost. Ken in his high school days seem very much like the latter.
IMHO from what I gathered thus far and including up to episode 6 is that Rei used Tada as a safety net.
Ugh. See, Rei is unfair too. If Ken recognized that too, maybe they needed a good fight or two to really make progress. At some point, we'd hope Ken would tell Rei "you waited for me all these years, but you never really gave me a fair chance, did you? you WANTED me to fail so that you didn't have to take a chance on me. If you loved me all this time and you said I didn't understand you all this time, why did you marry HIM?"
I almost think the Angel wants Ken to see this side too. Real love isn't a game, and there's no point in Ken "winning" Rei. Rei has to meet him halfway too, otherwise there is no relationship. But what makes it difficult is that Ken, as a writer, is lost in his self-absorption of their relationship. He just doesn't understand why she never chose him, except to believe that he himself made all the difference.

The repeating memory seems to imply that too. But, then again, he already holds the power that can win her over. His way with words. That, once he understands the truth between Ken and Rei (which the Angel alludes), he can express that and like a magical spell, remake their future anew. But it's a future that he must share with Rei's best interest too.

Alrightie. Finally got around to the Episode 4 speculation . . .
@joyboygo from Page 19:
I don't want to get ahead of the discussion but... what he did there couldn't possibly be considered "minor" anymore could it? That had to have a bigger impact than they're letting on. Ladies, can you actually look at a guy the same way after something
like that?
Honestly, it could make things worse. The problem is that Ken probably didn't follow up on his new-found maturity, and so Rei would pick up that his sudden burst of maturity and heart-on-sleeve sincerity was a wrinkle with him. Or in other words, Rei is starting to think "I just don't get Ken. He's so stupid but then sometimes he can be so amazing if he only he tries!"

Ken doesn't really notice, but that scene also made present Rei sad. Because, you see, she then remembers that special memory when Ken completely surprised her and made her believe in them. And to be in her current situation and to know that the memory was followed by so much disappointment . . . it's a bittersweet smile Rei wears to the world.
It was an incredible gesture that will lead to a lasting memory. But, it's the one truism between men and women, that men want to prove they're worthy of a woman's love, whereas women want to simply be loved by that special boy. As the angel said, Ken tries so hard at making great memories that will impress his True Love, that he forgets he hasn't been loving her. And he can start by showing her that he noticed.

<<we>>
But, we've seen Rei lie again and again to Eri about her feelings and the truth of their situation. It's like their friendship/relationship is a dirty, public secret.
@Graymouse in Page 20
<<To>>

It's actually disconcerting, though, to see Ken not pick up how passive aggressive Rei is with him. She covers up her affection for him in his frequent jabs, and to his defense, he's obviously not old enough to pick up the subtext. But this is part of their narrative -- Rei started developing feelings for Ken first probably because, well, she is the female in their friendship. He, as a male, doesn't start waking up until college; he was not yet confused about her. And neither appreciates the limited amount of time they have. Because they were the same age, their timing was typically off. It's no surprise that she ended up choosing an older man. And it's no surprise to see her so moved when Ken's voice suddenly becomes that of an adult.

Ken and Rei are childhood friends, but in her words, they weren't the best of friends. Ken was always around, but Ken wasn't always with Rei, not in the way that we usually associate with childhood pure love stories. He floated in her periphery like a butterfly, and now she doesn't know whether to keep him and watch or to close the drapes. Not too close, not too faraway. Just there.

<<You>>

I think Tada knows that they go way back. . . but I think he also picked up long ago something between them. He's mostly reacting to her changing weather report. Rei seems less happy, more uneasy, more sad in some sense. But, then, Rei also seemed that way from the beginning of the first episode. She didn't look that excited to be married to somebody who wasn't Ken.
Truth is, I'm more interested in how Rei reacted to Tada in college. It's easy to say that she choose Tada, because option #1 never really came around. But there had to be something about him, omething manifest between him and her from their own tense beginnings in the high school classroom, that brought them to the chapel.

@ouss at Page 21:
it s always the same start and end in every episode...i mean the producer is he a lazy guy? it feels just like there is 15minutes of copy/paste : a new photo appears, kenzo says : why? what did happen before?...and then the "fairy" (i like this guy, he s like my best character of this drama) gives him another chance to come back to past and fix the mistakes...in the end, kenzo is becoming closer to rei.
The joy in this repetition is in seeing how Ken and Angel's banter changes. And in Angel needling Ken on the meaning of his excellent adventure. Ken's like "yeah, yeah, hallejublah nobuta power!" But Angel is also testing Ken and us the audience in dissecting what the true meaning of all this is. After all, Angel never really answers whether Ken can really win the girl. Nor does Angel really answer whether that's the real purpose here. His agenda is the theme of the show is the outcome of the show. We should watch what he says carefully; he reads Rei better than Ken does; he's hinting at their future.
in fact, i still dont get it why the fairy gives "infinite" chances to kenzo to go back to past.
sometimes, it looks like ken doesnt make any progress at all : he s really slow even though he is a mature guy in a teenager's body.
especially in episode 3, nothing happened,
What's telling is that Ken is starting to question the point of these "hallelujah" chances. He grew up, but he is still "basically" the same person he was then. Customarily, he initially does the same thing again (or a variation of it), and then he wills himself to take the other road. And everytime he does, he doesn't like the present outcome. He doesn't see the present outcome for what Rei is.

With all the chances he's getting, Ken may grow more and more sad about her. Infinite chances could mean infinite roads to the same futile beginning. In Episode 4, he's already wrestling with his doubt.

I'm not for Ken winning Rei over. I'm more for her undersanding her better, and only then to open up the doors for love. And in turn she has to do the same. She has to change too. And if not, maybe she was better with Tada after all. Maybe that will be the lesson Ken eventually learns.
The episode 11 will probably take place the night before the wedding. We will find out why Ken was late for the wedding (other than sleeping in). Also if you watch episode 1 again you will see what it appears to be a party the night before. The end of episode 11 will bring us to the time that we were at before the fairy appeared at the wedding reception but hopefully this time Ken will be the one marrying Rei. (i hope)
Exactly. I think at best, everything will lead up to the beginning of Tada/Rei wedding, and where Rei is now REALLY unresolved over Ken. So, Ken effectively will have to change the present in order to have his future.

@Witwe in Page 20
really hope the won't do that, I liked Tada a lot in the few scenes he had up to now. I understand why Rei wants to marry him.
Fujita > Yamapi. You marry Fujita; you have one last fling at your wedding with Yamapi. :D I'd take Tada over Ken in a heartbeat, and so would Eri and probably Cameron. Oh sure, Tada is a worldclass dork, but he also looks at Rei straight in her eyes. Something that emo boy Ken still hasn't done but a few times. Tada's thank yous are warm and unpretentious. I would really respond do that; so does Rei.

@eUxaZnxRo on Page 23
<<i>>

Kinda disappointed the writers went in that direction with Mikio, esp. since they've already did the Cameron thing. Having a separate Hashashi/Eri/Mikio triangle would have been fun!

I don't think Ken is a jerk, but it's really apparent that Ken was not really in any position for a romantic anything in high school. At least their history showed that Ken didn't lose Rei in high school, and that Rei recognized Ken wasn't ready yet. The new changes he did in high school were major progress, then, assuming Ken vastly grew up in college and Rei became more honest and open about her feelings. The timing between them is still off because of their similar age and divergent personalities. Maybe they weren't meant to be.

Episode 4 seemed more about the facets of Ken. At least, I came out of it anticipating how Ken will handle college life again.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 18th, '07, 11:31

Ok, I will edit this as I go. First and foremost I agree with you 100% about its not about Ken doing all the work to get Rei. I believe that Ken and Rei has to meet in the middle. Someone mentoned earlier that you can't put the blame 100% on Ken. I mean Rei needs to relaize that she put Ken through a lot of BS and expected Ken to pick up on it without any hints. Its no wonder the Adult Ken turned out the way he did. I think it all boils down to the simple fact that Rei wanted Ken to "chase" her and when Ken didn't pick up on her "hints" she felt that Ken "failed her" Which I think is wrong. Personally I believe that both Ken and Rei got a lot of growing up to do!

Edit
Like you said earlier, the fairy never told Ken that he will have the "happy ending" that he wants so bad. The only thing he said was that when everything was said and done and episode 11 rolls around regardless of the outcome Ken will not have any more regrets. That is what this drama in my honest opinion is about. Its not about Ken getting Rei.....and its not about Tada getting Rei. Its about Ken not having any more regrets. Regardless of the ending I think that is what the "writters" wanted to convey to the audience.

ktamashi

Post by ktamashi » May 18th, '07, 13:19

After watching episode 4 I started to think I might know how this drama will unfold...
Maybe Rei married Tada to make Ken notice her. I've had too many regretful experiences with girls and this drama hits home with me. It's almost crystal clear. I don't think Rei settled for Tada at all. I think she's just using him the way girls use a rebound guy. She's known Rei her entire life. Even if he's dense and even if he doesn't make moves, you can't just erase a lifetime of feelings overnight. I've been the rebound guy before and it doesn't matter how much better you are than the guy the girl gave up, they have feelings for that guy. Nothing between Rei and Ken was settled so she's still feeling something. When you leave things unsettled like that feelings still linger on.

If anyone can relate to this, I'm sure you'd know the mentality of "look at me now". I think that's what Rei is doing to Ken, and she's using Tada to do it. The way she always glances at him during the wedding is proof that she's unsettled. I think she's doing the "look at me now, look what you missed out on," thing but she probably would drop Tada like a bad habit if Ken made a significant move then and there.

Of course, that's not going to happen because they're in the middle of the wedding. I just don't see the whole "wait, I love you! break up with him!" thing happening in a wedding in Japan. What I predict is that there will be a photo shown towards the end of the slideshow that is sometime RIGHT before the wedding and Ken will have a chance to stop it by finally expressing himself to Rei. It may work or it may not but that's what I predict will happen.

Let's see if I'm right.
edit: nevermind, I didn't see all of the posts above (some were above my head) before I wrote mine. I guess a lot of people share the same ideas.
but yea, I don't really think it has to do with whether or not ken will get rei. you know how I know? the music in this drama is just way too bright and happy for it to end in a bad way. how are they going to use that theme song at the end if ken doesn't get with rei?

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 18th, '07, 13:31

What gets me the most is that after Episode 4 there should be no doubt in Rei mind that Ken has romantic feelings for her. If she doesn't then Rei needs to do a lot of growing up herself.

{masami, did a great job with her facial expressions and her emotional scenes in the end of episode 4. It very difficult to cry on cue. I used to act in school and college. The longer I watch this drama the more I respect her as an upcoming actress. She is an amazingly talented young adult whose future seems very bright! I am looking forward to finsihing this series and looking forward to see her in her next role whatever that might be)
Last edited by Graymouse on May 18th, '07, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.

lunargen

Post by lunargen » May 18th, '07, 13:32

okay and i thought the yamapi thread was hard to catch up on! *i'll just reply to what i read so far so ehehe*

@ trichtojay - thanks for the offer! but somebody already does that for me so heheh. and pinoy din siya take note heeheehee.

@ joeboygo - hahaha tatandaan ko! but then i wouldn't have much trouble to have to remember anyway, since i've been too busy to do anything else but subbing ehehe. *and actually i don't hate masami... just love Pi wayyyy to much hehehe*

okay i'll reply to more soon, work beckons dakara, ato de ne!!

tritochjay

Post by tritochjay » May 18th, '07, 14:04

@lunargen - two people QCing doesn't hurt :D

---
Err I believe that Rei is actually doing the work before and the time shifter Ken basically follows up where old ken forgot. So its not about meeting in the middle, its about new Ken catching up.

Take note: Ken doesn't know how Rei feels about him (atleast the old Ken woudn't give it much thought)

And like I have been saying again again, the scene that the new ken is having (the flashback with Rei telling him that he doesn't understand), is still out there. There's got to be a clincher that the old Ken missed and thus why Rei ended up with Tada.

The beauty of time paradoxes is that, you don't have to feel sorry for Tada to some extent because Rei and Tada's relationship would have to be seriously modified to fit in Ken and Rei in the things.. Its not about preventing something from happening but rather changing the circumstance to which nothing ever begins. (still though, i'd hope for this series to go on a rampage.. emotional tour de force and show us a triangle worthy of tears)
Last edited by tritochjay on May 18th, '07, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 18th, '07, 14:13

joeboygo wrote: No, we absolutely should be talking about Episode 4 right now. In fact the silence is deafening. Hasn't everybody seen the sub yet? I thought this thread would be much noisier by now.
Lol. Well, I'm waiting on softsub personally, so actually I haven't seen the hardsub. I'm watching too many series to download raws + softsubs and hardsubs on them. Instead, I watch the raws, and then I use the softsub to fill in whatever parts my limited Japanese doesn't catch. *chuckle*
Quote:
really hope the won't do that, I liked Tada a lot in the few scenes he had up to now. I understand why Rei wants to marry him.

Fujita > Yamapi. You marry Fujita; you have one last fling at your wedding with Yamapi. I'd take Tada over Ken in a heartbeat, and so would Eri and probably Cameron. Oh sure, Tada is a worldclass dork, but he also looks at Rei straight in her eyes. Something that emo boy Ken still hasn't done but a few times. Tada's thank yous are warm and unpretentious. I would really respond do that; so does Rei.
I'd pick Tada too! He's wonderful and very upfront in the way he approaches Rei. Plus, I love how intelligent he is. That calculation he made at the wedding back in episode one, totally impressed me. He really is warm and sweet. No flings for me, as much as I love Ken's character. *chuckle*
But, then, she has to change too. And, weirdly, it looks like Tada may be the one who really changes her.
It's delicious irony to watch Rei and Tada's unfolding friendship from the get-go. When he comes back to the school, Tada is already a changed man, emboldened by the successful coda of his high school apprenticeship and his own increasing confidence. He laughs and shares easily with Rei and Eri. He thanks Rei. He connects with Rei. She seems almost shocked someone -- ANYONE -- noticed her efforts. We see Ken running in circles to change history, but he could also stand back and watch Rei and Tada, the way Rei seems to respond to him from her needs, or even Eri and Hashahi, and how Hashai just has no fear, no compunction in making the moment matter at expense of his pride. And Hashahi, unlike Ken, has a very short memory. And Ken doesn't yet see what made Tada special. He doesn't yet see whether Rei was a better person for Tada. Maybe he ends up writing a speech about them too.
WORD. I love watching Rei with Tada, and you can see the characters naturally click in so many scenes! And not only is he the type to look her straight in the eye and positively affect her, but also Rei seems more upfront with him in these memories and has had the effect of helping make Tada a better person too.
Her confronting him about how he didn't respond to the class, really helped him to learn that he needed to confront them instead of shutting himself inside his own little world of calculations at the blackboard. Yamapi's getting the class behind him by showing them the roster helps his confidence, but Rei is the one to help him correct his mistake in teaching there. So when he comes back in this episode, it's rather delicious to see this easy flow and progress between them.
Tsuru never lets a moment go by without making an effort towards Eri. He's got such wonderful persistance, that I can't help but root for him most of all.

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » May 18th, '07, 14:14

ktamashi wrote:
but yea, I don't really think it has to do with whether or not ken will get rei. you know how I know? the music in this drama is just way too bright and happy for it to end in a bad way. how are they going to use that theme song at the end if ken doesn't get with rei?
Yay I finally found someone who thinks the same way I do about the ending theme song!

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » May 18th, '07, 14:23

Oh nonone mentioned about Hisashi and Eri. It is obvious that Hisashi doesn't hide his feeling for Eri at all. I mean with the 4 foot " I love Eri" signed that he wrote in white chalk on the PE grounds says it all. However, I am curious to know if the writters are going to bring Hisashi and Eri together? Infact I think that Hisashi should teach Ken how to take more agressive steps and express his love to Rei.

On another note....Whille we are speculating Anyone? Do you think that if the teacher had not snap that picture when they were standing outside their school at the moment that Ken was going to tell Rei that he "suki"! Do you think Ken would of finished his sentence. That was a perfect time to possible confess and change the future. (of course the drama couldn't end in four episodes) Whats is everyones take on that?