Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[Discussion] LIAR GAME (All Seasons)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
User avatar
GoddessCarlie
Posts: 277
Joined: May 3rd, '07, 03:43
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 3rd, '07, 04:49

I have seen up to episode 2 sofar. I have to say I'm not enjoying it as much as I hoped I would. But like belleza was saying, I do like the art direction, the camera techniques etc. But sofar I'm just not feeling the story or the characters. Shota is bringing a little bit to it, and I'll keep watching, but I hope it gets better.

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » May 3rd, '07, 17:52

Hmmm... even the manga is only up to volume 3. This drama is looking to outpace the manga
furransu wrote:X is a woman.. that sunglasses girl
No, unless they changed it in the TV series. It should be another girl (I forget the number), but I didn't get around to watching ep 2/3 yet
One thing they changed in the TV series is that #15 was not a woman in the manga
Last edited by auroragb on May 3rd, '07, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

crimmy
Posts: 55
Joined: Jan 17th, '07, 13:36

Post by crimmy » May 3rd, '07, 17:55

O_O I just saw ep3 like 3 mins ago.. and im really curious on whats about to happen.. though i think i already have an idea who X is o_o;; >_>

User avatar
najimta
Posts: 110
Joined: Jan 15th, '07, 06:12
Location: maryland

Post by najimta » May 3rd, '07, 19:03

does anyone know where i can get scans of the manga for this show?


also. does anyone else think that X could be that guy with the glasses and mushroom haircut? :blink

User avatar
cindai
Posts: 197
Joined: May 30th, '06, 23:51

Post by cindai » May 3rd, '07, 23:31

najimta wrote: also. does anyone else think that X could be that guy with the glasses and mushroom haircut? :blink
Yes, i thought it also. maybe it's that guy. he look suspicious. anybody know how to get the manga. i really want to know what happen next. really got excited! :lol

orichan
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 13th, '07, 16:45

Post by orichan » May 4th, '07, 02:24

Unless you know Chinese or Japanese, getting the manga would be useful to you. There's no fan or official English translation of the manga out anywhere.

While I think at times the colour tint they use is questionable, I do recognize that they add those colour for the sake of surrealism. So I guess I can forgive them. One of the interviews actually kind of touched on this. Lanbreaker and I will have the interview translated in the coming week.

Although most people wouldn't notice this, I am quite impress with some of the small details in the show. For example, the newspaper article in episode 1... They actually wrote the article. They actually wrote a bunch of interesting stuff (that we can't see well in the version on d-addict, but you should be able to see in the HD version) on the opponent card in game 1 too.

If anyone have the HD version, do you mind taking a screen shot of 7:29 for me?

As for the abrupt endings and cliff hangers... I really don't mind, but I think that's cause I got really use to cliff hangers after watching a bunch of Chinese dramas, watching anime, and also reading mangas.

User avatar
YamapisWifey
Posts: 152
Joined: Aug 18th, '06, 06:43
Location: waseda online

Post by YamapisWifey » May 4th, '07, 06:00

great to see a thread about this series. Just finished ep1, I did enjoy it. Swindler..reminds me of kurosagi very much >< Toda is very cute so it makes the series a bit more enjoyable. xD I didn't like how they left some other information out such as why there is a game, how they go about choosing participants, why she was chosen, etc it's like everything just happened so quickly, they threw it as it is and there bam, the action begins.

Sorry if it was mentioned before, but how many episodes is this series? I noticed the first ep was only 36 minutes =(

User avatar
bonaparte
Posts: 60
Joined: Nov 9th, '05, 19:43
Location: New York, NY

Post by bonaparte » May 4th, '07, 06:43

YES! Mushroom head is definitely suspicious. I could tell the moment I looked at him!

But I don't think X is #15. That would be really obvious and stupid xDD. X has to be hiding somewhere among the masses. Or maybe X is Mushroom head! You never know. xPP

And I'm so impressed that they took the time to write the article about him! I wanna know what it says now.... Maybe if I run across the screencap I'll read it. (And struggle through the kanji ;o;)

I hope Akiyama and Nao get together! But before that Nao's character needs to get a little less shallow and one-dimensional. As she is now, she's not fit for Akiyama.

[/fangirling] xDD

furransu
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mar 12th, '04, 15:51

Post by furransu » May 4th, '07, 08:34

but X has to be a girl.. because the girl outside got swindled by a "girl" who dressed herself up as the staff.. unless its a guy dressing up as a girl.. or the girl outside may be lying..

i also have a feeling that Akiyama is related to the game itself.. maybe the host.. not sure

User avatar
gemtsoi
Posts: 44
Joined: Feb 28th, '06, 05:52
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by gemtsoi » May 4th, '07, 08:50

Mushroom Head is Suspect #1 right now, ne? :lol

Grr...Nao's stupidity is getting me irritated. She strikes me as a dumb person who blabs her mouth off and acts on impulse. And the amount of knowledge she has about psychology can be engraved on a pin. Much as I like Toda Erika, I'm really hanging on to this series because of Shota. At least Ep3 was more interesting than the previous two, though we all know that the most suspicious person usually never turns out to be the one!

I doubt very much that their team players will stick to the contract. We'll have to wait and see...

hikkichan
Posts: 194
Joined: Dec 14th, '04, 10:32
Location: &#21152;&#32654;&#24179;

Post by hikkichan » May 4th, '07, 09:40

yck wrote: Really? I timed it and it was less than 3 minutes. Also, in what way is it soooo cliched? Sure, a lot of people can probably guess how the teacher would be con'ed and the outcome, but I like the way how it's backed by theory in human psychology. It's analogous to saying, when presented with a mathematical formula, that it looks correct w/o going thru the rigorous process of proof via induction. And the first round is not even a warm up, if you've read the manga, the subsequent rounds are way better than the first in terms of logic and psychology.
Not only that, but then the part about what's his face telling Toda that he couldn't tell her either and his reason.

It just dragged out so long on TV... if I downloaded the file, I would've just fast-forwarded through it.

But, it's a late-night Saturday drama, so I know I shouldn't set my expectations too high.

User avatar
bonaparte
Posts: 60
Joined: Nov 9th, '05, 19:43
Location: New York, NY

Post by bonaparte » May 4th, '07, 19:41

furransu wrote: i also have a feeling that Akiyama is related to the game itself.. maybe the host.. not sure
YES! I don't know about being the host, but what makes me really suspicious is that Nao wouldn't have met Akiyama save for that policeman telling her about him, and the policeman turned out to be part of the game. So basically, her meeting Akiyama was planned by the game.

But I really don't want Akiyama to be like... in on the game in an evil way, because I really like him. xDD;; I hope that the game just put Akiyama in there to make it interesting or something, and he doesn't know (or doesn't know for sure, maybe being a genius he has an inkling x33) that they did so.

Maybe that woman who got swindled outside of the mansion was really part of the game as well, and she was trying to get Akiyama in it as well!! O_o

But if they actually <i>do</i> want him in it so badly.... WHY? I really want to know just why they're doing this game, the whole backstory on the guy behind the mask/ puppet.... AHHHHH!! Theorizing is so much fun when trying to pass the time waiting for the next installment.

Also, just randomly. Does anyone know how many episodes this will be? PLEASE TWELVE. I WANT AS MUCH AKIYAMA AS POSSIBLE! (xDD;;)

kiwigloomy
Posts: 49
Joined: May 7th, '05, 20:06

Post by kiwigloomy » May 4th, '07, 22:39

bonaparte wrote:
furransu wrote: i also have a feeling that Akiyama is related to the game itself.. maybe the host.. not sure
YES! I don't know about being the host, but what makes me really suspicious is that Nao wouldn't have met Akiyama save for that policeman telling her about him, and the policeman turned out to be part of the game. So basically, her meeting Akiyama was planned by the game.

But I really don't want Akiyama to be like... in on the game in an evil way, because I really like him. xDD;; I hope that the game just put Akiyama in there to make it interesting or something, and he doesn't know (or doesn't know for sure, maybe being a genius he has an inkling x33) that they did so.

Maybe that woman who got swindled outside of the mansion was really part of the game as well, and she was trying to get Akiyama in it as well!! O_o

But if they actually <i>do</i> want him in it so badly.... WHY? I really want to know just why they're doing this game, the whole backstory on the guy behind the mask/ puppet.... AHHHHH!! Theorizing is so much fun when trying to pass the time waiting for the next installment.

Also, just randomly. Does anyone know how many episodes this will be? PLEASE TWELVE. I WANT AS MUCH AKIYAMA AS POSSIBLE! (xDD;;)
I really dont think Akiyama would be part of the organization, cos that would be boring...
(thats like finding out at the end, Akiyama was super dumb, who cant even graduate from HS, and was just acting according to the plans given)

Wuts the point of sending akiyama to win in their own game?
Afterall, the secret tribe are interested in Nao...

Neptune222

Post by Neptune222 » May 4th, '07, 23:06

I've watched all three episodes and so far I'm really enjoying it. It's very different from the other Jdramas I've watched.

One thing I LOVE about Liar Game is the art direction, it's bold colors and camera angles. It actually reminds me a lot of the French film Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain.... AKA Amélie, which is one of my all time favorite films. It's nice to see another work with similar art design!!

User avatar
belleza
Posts: 713
Joined: Jan 21st, '07, 07:35

Post by belleza » May 5th, '07, 00:50

One thing I LOVE about Liar Game is the art direction, it's bold colors and camera angles. It actually reminds me a lot of the French film Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain.... AKA Amélie, which is one of my all time favorite films. It's nice to see another work with similar art design!!
Oh indeed. The first 5 minutes uses at least two different color schemes -- a kind of a Black Sabbath-y purple for the outside, and a garish yellow-green tint for the inside. Plus, they're using pretty high contrast here, so things in the background have a muddy, blackish colours.

The camera angles also seem influenced by reality TV shows. Episode 3 plays a bit like Big Brother, with people interacting and scheming with each other in only a few rooms, and the cameras setup to eavesdrop. Strong editing too. The show has a mostly crisp rhythm until it geeks out with the ARG minutaie.

Stylistically, this is wonderful stuff. Hero was like this too, where the director screwed around with camera angles and spatial relationships to give the show a dry, absurdist vibe.

Also, again, I like the lower budget vibe of this show. High-budget J-dramas tend to overemphasize set locations or use show-offy master shots, as if to belabour the "cinema quality" budget. Works great for romance and melodramas, but it is stylistic mismatch for thrillers and sitcoms, which relies on intimate, volatile energy between characters. For example, the comic energy in Hanayome to Papa is getting badly, badly leached by all the money thrown at it. And Kurosagi was hurt by its high gloss, slow-mo self-consciousness.

Episode 3 . . .
Throughout the episode, I was always thinking about which "clue" was really a misdirection.

My hunch right now is that Akiyama lied about the "X-man" (anybody here Xman show fans?) being a woman. In fact, the X-man is probably a man, or he even believe that gender does not matter.

My hunch is that Akiyama already figured out who X was, and then decided to "trap" the X within the group itself. By doing that, he can control the outcome of the game because it is 100% certain who will try to sabatoge the game and therefore who will always have the money. Follow the fox down the hole.

Also, from the psychological standpoint, the minority rule seems to bias the people to always choose the answer opposite from the "correct/obvious" one.

I did find it peculiar that there was a unspoken assumption that Akiyama would pass that 1st round. Like he knew he couldn't be eliminated that round. If Akiyama were eliminated early, could Nao control this group?

Seems like mushroom guy is the baddie. He seemed overly interested in their gameplan and also the relationship between Nao and Akiyama. Apparently, Nao and Aki are the only ones who are working together to win this thing.

furransu
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mar 12th, '04, 15:51

Post by furransu » May 5th, '07, 01:14

remember the mushroom guy said something about the cheque when they were talking in the group.. akiyama never mentioned anything about the girl outside giving a cheque to the game secretarist..

l0nEr
Posts: 36
Joined: Jan 24th, '04, 09:37

Post by l0nEr » May 5th, '07, 06:48

Another drama that has ratings dropping like crazy... is it that bad? i love erika toda though

hikkichan
Posts: 194
Joined: Dec 14th, '04, 10:32
Location: &#21152;&#32654;&#24179;

Post by hikkichan » May 5th, '07, 15:12

Well, many of your questions will be answered with 4... and of course new ones will arise.

Anyhows, I thought I'd do another 1 minute teaser for tonight's episode; hopefully it'll get a few giggles out of you all.

Image

XViD, 2mbps
mp3 96kbps 48khz

http://www.mediafire.com/?ezomuyadu2m

User avatar
pokpak
Posts: 100
Joined: Mar 21st, '06, 19:14

Post by pokpak » May 5th, '07, 17:17

This drama is one that I'm so looking forward to the next episode. My favorite one for this spring season.
I really wonder who could Mr.X be.. many imagination in my head.

User avatar
bonaparte
Posts: 60
Joined: Nov 9th, '05, 19:43
Location: New York, NY

Post by bonaparte » May 5th, '07, 20:15

hikkichan wrote:Anyhows, I thought I'd do another 1 minute teaser for tonight's episode; hopefully it'll get a few giggles out of you all.
xDDDD!!!! I watched it. I didn't understand <i>all</i> of what was said, but I did get most of it. xDDD~~ So awkward!! I... love Akiyama. x333~

User avatar
najimta
Posts: 110
Joined: Jan 15th, '07, 06:12
Location: maryland

Post by najimta » May 5th, '07, 20:21

cant wait for the next episode to be released so i can find out who X is.
the thing i love about this drama is the logic behind it. it gets the audience involved by making them think about the clues and the possibility of deceit and betrayal cuz nothing is ever as it seems.

anyways cant wait and i hope the ratings go higher.
i love shota :)

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » May 6th, '07, 02:50

belleza wrote:
Throughout the episode, I was always thinking about which "clue" was really a misdirection.

My hunch right now is that Akiyama lied about the "X-man" (anybody here Xman show fans?) being a woman. In fact, the X-man is probably a man, or he even believe that gender does not matter.

My hunch is that Akiyama already figured out who X was, and then decided to "trap" the X within the group itself. By doing that, he can control the outcome of the game because it is 100% certain who will try to sabatoge the game and therefore who will always have the money. Follow the fox down the hole.

Also, from the psychological standpoint, the minority rule seems to bias the people to always choose the answer opposite from the "correct/obvious" one.

I did find it peculiar that there was a unspoken assumption that Akiyama would pass that 1st round. Like he knew he couldn't be eliminated that round. If Akiyama were eliminated early, could Nao control this group?

Seems like mushroom guy is the baddie. He seemed overly interested in their gameplan and also the relationship between Nao and Akiyama. Apparently, Nao and Aki are the only ones who are working together to win this thing.
Good observations
First of all, they reversed the gender of x from the manga. But, otherwise the solution and the flow of the game is the same.
Yep, the mushroom head is X. X is a cross-dresser. Basically, the mentioning of the check was the mistake that made Akiyama suspect her. Also, the flow of the game is the same.

kiwigloomy
Posts: 49
Joined: May 7th, '05, 20:06

Post by kiwigloomy » May 6th, '07, 05:03

belleza wrote:
My hunch is that Akiyama already figured out who X was, and then decided to "trap" the X within the group itself. By doing that, he can control the outcome of the game because it is 100% certain who will try to sabatoge the game and therefore who will always have the money. Follow the fox down the hole.

I did find it peculiar that there was a unspoken assumption that Akiyama would pass that 1st round. Like he knew he couldn't be eliminated that round. If Akiyama were eliminated early, could Nao control this group?
Hmm... I dont think Akiyama know who X is, until like ... later(since the worst case scenerio happened again at the end of 2nd round)...
Since he was trying to build a team without X (imagine if Nao didnt pick X in their group, then X would be almost certain to lose ...)

Also, its sorta luck, if X was a bit more careful(about the cheque thing), and if he was lucky, Akiyama & Nao would be out the first round(Since Akiyama & Nao are on the same team of first round)...

Or that #15(fake X) was out the first round, then the plan wouldnt go as planned according to X~(his identity exposed)
(But because of this, Akiyama's sure win plan would not have work either,
and very likely X would've win--as he could just form a new group from the remaining ppl-of course this time signing a legal contract with his name)

So, chances are 'X' is going to win(if he is less greedy)
he lose because he was thinking of swallowing the whole 21mil and not sharing,
but if he have just shared it with 2 other ppl instead, akiyama would've lost for sure

User avatar
Rikayla
Posts: 349
Joined: Jun 30th, '06, 02:35
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by Rikayla » May 6th, '07, 05:46

hikkichan wrote:Well, many of your questions will be answered with 4... and of course new ones will arise.

Anyhows, I thought I'd do another 1 minute teaser for tonight's episode; hopefully it'll get a few giggles out of you all.
;________________; That clip made me seriously lust for subs. LOLOL. The naivety of Erika Toda + too-cool-attitude of Akiyama are just too perfect for each other. :D *spazzy giggles* Aiyo! Thanks so much!!

lilxchinesegrl
Posts: 10
Joined: Apr 3rd, '07, 04:27

Post by lilxchinesegrl » May 6th, '07, 05:48

i have to admit at first i wasn't really looking forward to this drama... but now i find it to be really entertaining.. so far the other dramas this season have been a big disappointment.

orichan
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 13th, '07, 16:45

Post by orichan » May 6th, '07, 07:54

hikkichan wrote:
Anyhows, I thought I'd do another 1 minute teaser for tonight's episode; hopefully it'll get a few giggles out of you all.
Oh my God, that's one joke I did not recall... (it's in the manga too... But seriously, it's it's a lot more funny in the drama since you get to see their expressions and everything)

LMAO.

Poor Akiyama.

User avatar
Qualian
Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 30th, '06, 16:30
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Qualian » May 6th, '07, 08:31

I really love this kind of series, thinking about how everyone will act or what they're thinking! Matsuda Shota looks so cool as Akiyama :wub: I'm so looking forward to see the 4th ep with subs!

User avatar
belleza
Posts: 713
Joined: Jan 21st, '07, 07:35

Post by belleza » May 7th, '07, 08:26

Another drama that has ratings dropping like crazy... is it that bad? i love erika toda though
LG has a weird (anime?) time slot, Saturday at 11pm. Given its shorter running time, experimental direction (and low budget), and its tournament/game-oriented storyline, I don't think this show has a lot of expectations. It's a low pressure opportunity for Erika and Matsuda to finally star.

Now Hotelier on the other hand. Yikes . . .

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » May 7th, '07, 14:58

belleza wrote:
Another drama that has ratings dropping like crazy... is it that bad? i love erika toda though
LG has a weird (anime?) time slot, Saturday at 11pm. Given its shorter running time, experimental direction (and low budget), and its tournament/game-oriented storyline, I don't think this show has a lot of expectations. It's a low pressure opportunity for Erika and Matsuda to finally star.

Now Hotelier on the other hand. Yikes . . .
Well, looks like ep 4 ratings picked up a point.
Looks like ep5 will catch up to end of v2 of the manga. Hope my store has v3 already...

User avatar
peachys2sleep
Posts: 15
Joined: Nov 13th, '05, 21:18
Location: California

Post by peachys2sleep » May 7th, '07, 23:44

@ladyusagi

THANK YOU so much for that picture of Shota! ahahaha so kakoi, ne?

i'm excited to see this week's episode with subs! =D

User avatar
aznstarlu
Posts: 21
Joined: Jun 20th, '06, 16:04

Post by aznstarlu » May 8th, '07, 00:00

teeheeh
this show is really goood !

kinda reminds me of kurosagi ~<3

yck
Posts: 27
Joined: Nov 11th, '06, 16:22

Post by yck » May 8th, '07, 02:44

auroragb wrote:Looks like ep5 will catch up to end of v2 of the manga. Hope my store has v3 already...
v3 was published in Japan quite a while back; the Chinese version has just been published in Hong Kong. Also, there's chinese scanlations available on the web; it's up to ch. 37 (not sure if I can post links here).
Last edited by yck on May 8th, '07, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

yck
Posts: 27
Joined: Nov 11th, '06, 16:22

Post by yck » May 8th, '07, 03:24

hikkichan wrote:Not only that, but then the part about what's his face telling Toda that he couldn't tell her either and his reason.

It just dragged out so long on TV... if I downloaded the file, I would've just fast-forwarded through it.

But, it's a late-night Saturday drama, so I know I shouldn't set my expectations too high.
I do agree in general that the pacing can be better. The problem is the manga is only up to ch. 37, and the 3rd round starts at ch. 29 and is still ongoing. The end of ep. 4 coincides with end of ch. 15 in vol. 2. As someone pointed out, even w/ each ep. at 36 min., at this rate the writers may have to come up w/ original material after about ep. 8 (if they don't slow down the pacing even further :pray:).

orichan
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 13th, '07, 16:45

Post by orichan » May 8th, '07, 05:49

Actually, I am pretty sure we will get original material.

According to one of the interviews posted on the official site, the author of Liar Game said one of the things to look forward for in the manga is a different ending from the drama.

I am kind of excited about the original material because then I can make predictions with you guys.

The pacing is not that slow imo, I actually expected the pacing to be even slower (like 3-4 episodes per game) when I found out Liar Game was going to be dramatized.

The third volume will definately start half way into the next episode, just so you guys know. =)

yck
Posts: 27
Joined: Nov 11th, '06, 16:22

Post by yck » May 8th, '07, 06:46

orichan wrote:Actually, I am pretty sure we will get original material.

According to one of the interviews posted on the official site, the author of Liar Game said one of the things to look forward for in the manga is a different ending from the drama.
So looks like it may end after the next 'resurrection' round with a modified outcome so that they don't have to go to round 3.
I just hope the writers don't come up with a lame ending that will ruin everything. :pray:

User avatar
kilaalaa
Posts: 81
Joined: May 12th, '05, 00:53

Post by kilaalaa » May 8th, '07, 08:31

^
Actually it could still go to round 3. This whole drama will take 11 episodes, no? Quite long enough to take in the resurrection round and round 3.

I'm looking forward to the different endings!
I hope eagerly for any AkiyamaXNao...HAHA

orichan
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 13th, '07, 16:45

Post by orichan » May 8th, '07, 15:09

yck wrote:
So looks like it may end after the next 'resurrection' round with a modified outcome so that they don't have to go to round 3.
I just hope the writers don't come up with a lame ending that will ruin everything. :pray:
Not necessarily. Esp since I think the next game will only bring us up to ep 8.5. We have plenty of time to do one more game if they want, assuming this is 11 episodes.

yck
Posts: 27
Joined: Nov 11th, '06, 16:22

Post by yck » May 8th, '07, 15:36

orichan wrote: Not necessarily. Esp since I think the next game will only bring us up to ep 8.5. We have plenty of time to do one more game if they want, assuming this is 11 episodes.
Yes, but there's not enough time to do the round 3 in the manga either as it's still ongoing, so the writers may have to come up with their own final round, which is what I'm afraid of. We'll just have to see how it goes.

crimmy
Posts: 55
Joined: Jan 17th, '07, 13:36

Post by crimmy » May 8th, '07, 16:45

Just finished ep4...<333 Akiyama so cool!

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » May 8th, '07, 17:14

yck wrote:
auroragb wrote:Looks like ep5 will catch up to end of v2 of the manga. Hope my store has v3 already...
v3 was published in Japan quite a while back; the Chinese version has just been published in Hong Kong. Also, there's chinese scanlations available on the web; it's up to ch. 37 (not sure if I can post links here).
good point. just found the chinese scanlation, thanks for the tip :)

chamcham
Posts: 48
Joined: May 10th, '05, 04:03

Post by chamcham » May 8th, '07, 17:46

Akiyama's reasoning seems spot on, but I do see a flaw in his plan.
Everything will hinge on the very next person. Maybe they haven't figured
it out yet. But if they did, they should act fast.

om369
Posts: 45
Joined: Dec 15th, '05, 02:41

Post by om369 » May 8th, '07, 17:54

Great story and series.... :-)

I agree hope it does not have a lame ending. BUT when watching this it feels like watching "Trick" and "Deathnote" added together.

If it a little different from the manga then at least it also would be interesting to see...also this series may turn into a "Liar Game 2" like "Trick" and "HYD" with no definite ending .

User avatar
non-angelical
Posts: 368
Joined: Oct 31st, '05, 11:37
Location: paris
Contact:

Post by non-angelical » May 8th, '07, 18:18

Just finished watching ep.4. I LOVE this drama!!

I kinda guess already that mushroom guy would be the bad guy (it wouldn't be phsycological drama if the obvious suspect turns out to be the real bad guy, isn't it?).

And I LOVE akiyama. He's a genius swindler after all.

I'm not sure if I should use a spoiler tag for this, but in case...
His move to vote -openly- first is a sure winning move for me. Unless this ends up in a tie too, then it would be a little more difficult.
But, the ending of episode 4 kinda makes you feel relax, don't you?
I mean, at the end of episodes 1 to 3, you're always left hangin' in the middle of a conflict/problem. And that makes me want to see the next episode a.s.a.p, but with this episode, the ending is like....end of a problem. Which didn't make me anticipating the next episode as much as last week.

Anybody knows what will game 3 be like?

And oh.....I kinda wish to see the development between Akiyama and Nao.
I know it's not the main part of the story, but that S-M gag. And the part when Akiyama point out the loosing participants coming back because they're afraid the winner would run away with the money and said that he knows Nao is an exception....I couldn't help but hope :P

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » May 8th, '07, 18:27

non-angelical wrote:Anybody knows what will game 3 be like?
Game 3 is the smuggling game. Basically, one side puts money in a case, if the other side guesses whether or not there's inside. if the content is more than the guess, than the smuggler gets the amount credited. Otherwise, the other side is credited with the value of the content. If no money was smuggled when the other side guesses there is, a 50 M yen penalty is assessed

There is a resurrection game before game 3.
I wonder if the drama will have a final game. Because the manga only has up to game 3 so far...

User avatar
non-angelical
Posts: 368
Joined: Oct 31st, '05, 11:37
Location: paris
Contact:

Post by non-angelical » May 8th, '07, 18:34

sorry to ask again, and then what is ressurection game?
:unsure:

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » May 8th, '07, 18:55

round 2 losers have an option to join the resurrection game where they get a chance to get back in the game and win their money back or lose another 100M yen

User avatar
bonaparte
Posts: 60
Joined: Nov 9th, '05, 19:43
Location: New York, NY

Post by bonaparte » May 8th, '07, 20:18

If Akiyama and Nao don't fall for each other I'll be very very sad.

Although somehow, I don't think they will. This isn't that kind of drama, after all. >o<

User avatar
Rikayla
Posts: 349
Joined: Jun 30th, '06, 02:35
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by Rikayla » May 8th, '07, 21:48

non-angelical wrote:I'm not sure if I should use a spoiler tag for this, but in case...
His move to vote -openly- first is a sure winning move for me. Unless this ends up in a tie too, then it would be a little more difficult.
But, the ending of episode 4 kinda makes you feel relax, don't you?
I mean, at the end of episodes 1 to 3, you're always left hangin' in the middle of a conflict/problem. And that makes me want to see the next episode a.s.a.p, but with this episode, the ending is like....end of a problem. Which didn't make me anticipating the next episode as much as last week.

Anybody knows what will game 3 be like?

And oh.....I kinda wish to see the development between Akiyama and Nao.
I know it's not the main part of the story, but that S-M gag. And the part when Akiyama point out the loosing participants coming back because they're afraid the winner would run away with the money and said that he knows Nao is an exception....I couldn't help but hope :P
LOLOLOL. Me too!!! I totally see the cute relationship between Akiyama and Nao developing. They're totally adorable together.

HEAR HEAR, bonaparte. I'm going to be sad too, though like you, I don't think this is supposed to be a romance drama either. LOL.

But I disagree with your "relaxed" part. I'm more excited for episode 5 more than any other episode now. I think it's because I finally understand it. Before, I would have to rewatch some explanations a couple of times before going OHHHHHHH!, but now I get it. =D And gosh, does anyone know what Akiyama was doing with the #15 lady at night? DID THEY HAVE SEX TOGETHER OR SOMETHING. Because his shirt was off afterwards, in the morning. And that worries me because Akiyama belongs to Nao. AHAHA.

User avatar
non-angelical
Posts: 368
Joined: Oct 31st, '05, 11:37
Location: paris
Contact:

Post by non-angelical » May 8th, '07, 21:55

:lol
that was EXACTLY what came across my mind when I saw the scene.
:crazy: a minute ago it was at night, and then it's morning already and Akiyama is up in the bed SHIRTLESS???? :blink
I don't know...but I don't think anything happen though.

Why do I feel 'relaxed' and not in a rush for the next episode?
because one problem had ended (at least for me). You see, if they cut the episode on the beginning off the supposed to be resurrection game, or in the middle of the resurrection game, I would be more cranky. Maybe because I just know about resurrection game? (I thought it would go straight to game 3, but then yeah...who would participate? Only Akiyama? He would've need an opponent, rite?)

User avatar
non-angelical
Posts: 368
Joined: Oct 31st, '05, 11:37
Location: paris
Contact:

Post by non-angelical » May 8th, '07, 23:07

could someone post up the link to the manga? Or PM me?
Thanks a bunch ^^

User avatar
Eternal Snow
Posts: 328
Joined: Jan 12th, '07, 15:02

Post by Eternal Snow » May 9th, '07, 00:15

omg!! this drama is real intense!! every second of it XD

i wonder what happened between Akiyama & the sunglasses gurl..? maybe they made a secret plan or something..? :scratch:

i hate that mashroom guy~ Lol whenever he speaks i`m irritated! :x

i like the music a looooooooooooot XD Gosh.. it gives me goose pumps whenever the camera moves from one charecter to another.. the producers really know how to get all our attention :P

can`t wait to see the next epi.!

ne~ what is S & M about?? i didn`t get it! :scratch:

User avatar
Tatsuri
Posts: 237
Joined: Dec 27th, '06, 19:49
Location: Creditinf chroncrossing for avvie

Post by Tatsuri » May 9th, '07, 00:23

I like this drama, honestly I do, but it has one major downfall for me. THEY TALK TO MUCH. Come on. They all take about 10 minutes to explain things. How they did this and how they knew that. I really don't need every detail broken down like that. That was just annoying in episode 4 when both Akiyama and Mr. X explained what they did.

crimmy
Posts: 55
Joined: Jan 17th, '07, 13:36

Post by crimmy » May 9th, '07, 01:09

S&M

S being a sadist while M being a masochist

A sadist is like a guy who enjoys inflicting pain on others while a masochist enjoys the pain o_o;;

I didnt mind the explaning bit in the ep.. i was just pissed because X was screaming and he hurt my ears.. >=(

orichan
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 13th, '07, 16:45

Post by orichan » May 9th, '07, 01:13

Rikayla wrote: =D And gosh, does anyone know what Akiyama was doing with the #15 lady at night? DID THEY HAVE SEX TOGETHER OR SOMETHING. Because his shirt was off afterwards, in the morning. And that worries me because Akiyama belongs to Nao. AHAHA.
lol.

In the manga, Nao phoned when Akiyama was taking a shower or something like that. He dried his hair when he talked to her.

I think the shirtless scene is the least they can do after changing that. XD

I think the answer to your question is no though.

PS It must be very tiring to be playing X. That psychoticness amused me.

User avatar
bonaparte
Posts: 60
Joined: Nov 9th, '05, 19:43
Location: New York, NY

Post by bonaparte » May 9th, '07, 03:36

Rikayla wrote:=D And gosh, does anyone know what Akiyama was doing with the #15 lady at night? DID THEY HAVE SEX TOGETHER OR SOMETHING. Because his shirt was off afterwards, in the morning. And that worries me because Akiyama belongs to Nao. AHAHA.
I know; I thought that too at first, but then I saw that his shoes were on. And no one has sex with their shoes on, except for really strange people. xDD Even if they did have sex, normally you'd just put your pants on afterward and not the shoes as well. I think he probably took of his shirt <s>IN CASE SOMEONE WANTED TO ADMIRE HIS BOD</s> because it was stressful and he'd feel more comfortable with his shirt off. xD;

I want Akiyama to have a really really sweet love confession to Nao. Like... when he thinks h's in danger of losing her forever or something. And I also want, eventually, for him to tell her about his very angsty past and try to be all stoic about it but then break down. At that point, she should hug and comfort him in his moment of vulerability.

... I watch too many K-Dramas. The sad thing is that I've only watched two completely and they've affected me this much. >o<
Last edited by bonaparte on May 9th, '07, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
belleza
Posts: 713
Joined: Jan 21st, '07, 07:35

Post by belleza » May 9th, '07, 06:21

Just finished Episode 4. My God that episode was . . . ick. If you kinda take away the technicolour curtain, the occasional Flash explanation, and uhm Shota's kinky preference to leave his shoes on . . . basically the episode comprised of one room and two 10 minute speeches. Dude, it was Waiting for Godot with an electro soundtrack.

Uhm . . .
No way Mushroom guy could pass for a woman. Then again, Mushroom guy could barely pass as a man.

Toda Erika's character is barely sympathetic in her questionable usage of her brain matter, but she's not helped by Toda Erika. Godawful acting all around, except for Shota. He seemed quite pleased with leaving his shoes on, and so kudos for him for wearing protection everytime he sleeps. Good for him.
That said, those last 5 minutes were pretty sweet . . .
That definitely had a Death Note vibe with how Akiyama planned 2 steps aheads of everybody. Akiyama mentioned many times about his worst case scenario, and so he had planned all along to be the last guy and to control End Game. In fact, he probably has a backup option in case he actually loses, or at least maybe he's using this opportunity to explore this mysterious organization. After all, why did they target Nao of all people?

The only real way he could lose is if all three people agreed to form an alliance and let somebody win. But Mushroomtaku in stabbing everybody in the back loses credibility and their only real chance of defeating Akiyama.
Oh yes. Akiyama owns all. He is truly Sadist Sempai!
want Akiyama to have a really really sweet love confession to Nao. Like... when he thinks h's in danger of losing him forever or something.
Normally I'd agree, but the characterization of the show so nonexistent that neither Nao nor Akiyama make sympathetic romantic anythings. I'm sure they'll explore Akiyama's backstory, maybe connect it to Saw Guy, but Nao's going to have to vastly win back some IQ point to make her viable.
watch too many K-Dramas. The sad thing is that I've only watched two completely and they've affected me this much. >o<
Is one of them Thank You? :D

User avatar
bonaparte
Posts: 60
Joined: Nov 9th, '05, 19:43
Location: New York, NY

Post by bonaparte » May 9th, '07, 06:43

belleza wrote:If you kinda take away the technicolour curtain, the occasional Flash explanation, and uhm Shota's <B>kinky</B> preference to leave his shoes on . . . basically the episode comprised of one room and two 10 minute speeches.
TELL ME ABOUT IT. I could <i>feel</i> the time ticking away when X was blabbing and blabbing about how great and smart he was and how stupid everyone else was. Seriously, that could have been cut down to about 1/10 of the time they gave it. The viewers are not retarded; we don't need X's relatively simple plan hashed out twenty times! I remember checking the time when he finished, seeing about ten minutes left, and being horrified.
belleza wrote: Normally I'd agree, but the characterization of the show so nonexistent that neither Nao nor Akiyama make sympathetic romantic anythings. I'm sure they'll explore Akiyama's backstory, maybe connect it to Saw Guy, but Nao's going to have to vastly win back some IQ point to make her viable.
Oh, definitely. They NEED some character development, roundedness, fleshing out into actual human beings as opposed to "naive yet endearing girl with heart of gold" and "stoic mastermind with angsty backstory". xD That said... maybe they'll develop more!! (Please God...)
belleza wrote:
bonaparte wrote:watch too many K-Dramas. The sad thing is that I've only watched two completely and they've affected me this much. >o<
Is one of them Thank You? :D
I haven't seen Thank You, but I've seen Goong (great until the last 5 episodes, aka CRYFEST 2006) and My Girl (BEST EVER). Right now I'm watching Kim Sam Soon, and I'm going to start Full House after that. :D <i>Should</i> I watch Thank You? x33
Last edited by bonaparte on May 9th, '07, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lucysweets
Posts: 6
Joined: Sep 15th, '06, 15:28

Post by Lucysweets » May 9th, '07, 06:45

I am watching this drama too! So far, its really interesting! At first I was quite skeptical, I didnt know what to expect, thought the first episode was a wee bit slow and the main actor did one too many fingers fondling the chin and smug smirks looks throughout ep1 & 2 ;D BUT I am hooooked on this drama. I think the main actor is kinda cute! I like his hair.
Fukunaga( I am not really sure of his name yikes) could just vote NO and it would be a tie again, right?

I think that part where the camera shows Akiyama and No15 lady together at night and the next scene of him with his shirt off is just to mislead the viewers, I dont think he slept with her. Hopefully Akiyama falls for Nao... I see some thing going on!

User avatar
non-angelical
Posts: 368
Joined: Oct 31st, '05, 11:37
Location: paris
Contact:

Post by non-angelical » May 9th, '07, 07:02

belleza wrote: Normally I'd agree, but the characterization of the show so nonexistent that neither Nao nor Akiyama make sympathetic romantic anythings. I'm sure they'll explore Akiyama's backstory, maybe connect it to Saw Guy, but Nao's going to have to vastly win back some IQ point to make her viable.
This makes me ROFLMAO....
Really, from the episodes so far, Nao is totally dependent on Akiyama. I wonder how could she survive before she met him. The Liar Game aside, it's still a cruel world out there.

User avatar
cindai
Posts: 197
Joined: May 30th, '06, 23:51

Post by cindai » May 9th, '07, 08:20

I wonder if this drama OST available or not. I like the background songs even though there's no specific songs with voice but still it get my attention. anyone has any information about the OST?

User avatar
GoddessCarlie
Posts: 277
Joined: May 3rd, '07, 03:43
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 9th, '07, 09:40

bonaparte and belleza, I really enjoy your comments. And I totally agree with all of them. :)

User avatar
belleza
Posts: 713
Joined: Jan 21st, '07, 07:35

Post by belleza » May 9th, '07, 10:32

Really, from the episodes so far, Nao is totally dependent on Akiyama. I wonder how could she survive before she met him. The Liar Game aside, it's still a cruel world out there.
I'm quite afraid if we gave Nao-chan the Death Notebook, she'll write down her own name because she'll feel really, really bad about hurting anybody. Even L will be like "I just don't get Nao. Light, what the hell did you do to Misia?"
The viewers are not retarded; we don't need X's relatively simple plan hashed out twenty times! I remember checking the time when he finished, seeing about ten minutes left, and being horrified.
And while X was screaming his plan (what, got mushroom hair stuck in your earholes), I thought "people thought you YOU could be a WOMAN?!?" Dang, no deep purple orange slime whatever sky is going to hide your 5th o'clock shadow. :D

Pity the fansubber who had to translate X blowing his spleen for 5 hours. Toda Erika used up a lot of good will with this episode. :D
I haven't seen Thank You, but I've seen Goong (great until the last 5 episodes, aka CRYFEST 2006) and My Girl (BEST EVER). Right now I'm watching Kim Sam Soon, and I'm going to start Full House after that. :D Should I watch Thank You? x33
Oh see, I mistook your avatar for a character on Thank You. It's currently running so I just thought about that show.
I wonder if this drama OST available or not. I like the background songs even though there's no specific songs with voice but still it get my attention. anyone has any information about the OST?
Nope, definitely not out. I would be surprised if we see an official release of the music. Shame too because this music sounds like something Sasha might have produced in 2002.

orichan
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 13th, '07, 16:45

Post by orichan » May 9th, '07, 14:33

non-angelical wrote:This makes me ROFLMAO....
Really, from the episodes so far, Nao is totally dependent on Akiyama. I wonder how could she survive before she met him. The Liar Game aside, it's still a cruel world out there.
Well she does get slightly smarter soonish. If we call slightly smarter as being able to lie...

User avatar
Tatsuki
Posts: 17
Joined: Jun 8th, '06, 07:29
Location: Germany

Post by Tatsuki » May 9th, '07, 14:48

I also think this weird guy was absolutely suspicious rigth from the start!!
He talked way to much compared to the others!

....but I wonder if Akiyama only helps Nao because he pities her (and a friend of him has died in the past because of swinling..)!
After all it was "the" police officier who works for the organisation who recommended Nao to ask him for help...there's a good possibility that he works for the organisation as well!
AND Nao would again be the one who is tricked, just like so many times before!
Tell me what u think, plz!!

On the other hand he doesn't appears like he does....waah, it's all sooo tricky!!
I would probably die in such a situation!! I couldn't stand it!

User avatar
shineox
Posts: 24
Joined: Nov 22nd, '05, 01:45

Post by shineox » May 9th, '07, 15:35

This is such a great drama so far.

Alot of the explanation are very complicated, but it's so simple when you think about it.

Whoever wrote this manga is very clever.

Did anyone else notice that the girl with the sunglasses is actually Iwasa Mayuko. I LOVE HER.

User avatar
just_candy
Posts: 67
Joined: May 28th, '05, 21:10
Location: USA

Post by just_candy » May 9th, '07, 16:12

waaa! episode 4 was another cliffhanger!!!

but dang, shota is so hot...he suits his role very well :lol

i don't like how they made it so obvious who "X" was though...but anyways...looking forward to another episode!!!

User avatar
kilaalaa
Posts: 81
Joined: May 12th, '05, 00:53

Post by kilaalaa » May 9th, '07, 16:31

I loved the S&M part. HAHA okay that sounded wrong. But anyway, Akiyama looked kind of uncomfortable when Nao was rambling about the S&M stuff. That was uber cute! HEHEHEHE

User avatar
Qualian
Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 30th, '06, 16:30
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Qualian » May 9th, '07, 16:39

This I really love thise series! So annoying that it's only 35 minutes and once a week! I can't wait for ep 5!!
I also thought Fukuyama was suspcious, you remember the part when he asked Akiyama why he and Nao changed their answers? He was very agitated! Akiyama is really cooool, he's so intelligent!
I really love this series, haha~! I just had to say that one more time... :P

User avatar
Eternal Snow
Posts: 328
Joined: Jan 12th, '07, 15:02

Post by Eternal Snow » May 9th, '07, 17:05

kilaalaa wrote:I loved the S&M part. HAHA okay that sounded wrong. But anyway, Akiyama looked kind of uncomfortable when Nao was rambling about the S&M stuff. That was uber cute! HEHEHEHE
yeah.. i was wondering about that scene too.. i mean why was he uncomfortable by her asking this kind of Q? :scratch:
is it cause that she should know the answer or what?

User avatar
shineox
Posts: 24
Joined: Nov 22nd, '05, 01:45

Post by shineox » May 9th, '07, 17:15

S&M is an abbreviation for the sexual roleplaying term Sadism and Masochism
Sadist is the controlling one and likes to give pain
Masochist is the controlled one and likes to recieve pain
People who like this type of roleplaying usually dress up in leather and carry whips :whistling:

Erika totally misinterpret it and was commenting on which one she is.
And since its a sexual term, Akiyama was more embarrassed than anything.

User avatar
Eternal Snow
Posts: 328
Joined: Jan 12th, '07, 15:02

Post by Eternal Snow » May 9th, '07, 17:19

shineox wrote:S&M is an abbreviation for the sexual roleplaying term Sadism and Masochism
Sadist is the controlling one and likes to give pain
Masochist is the controlled one and likes to recieve pain
People who like this type of roleplaying usually dress up in leather and carry whips :whistling:

Erika totally misinterpret it and was commenting on which one she is.
And since its a sexual term, Akiyama was more embarrassed than anything.
ahaaaaaaaaa.. i get it.. lool.. i`m embaressed myself by asking that :pale: .. lool *Baka ME*

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » May 9th, '07, 19:28

Yeah, LoL at the offense and defense metaphor.
Akiyama should have just used a Small and Medium :)

User avatar
kirameki
Posts: 11
Joined: Nov 7th, '05, 00:45

Post by kirameki » May 9th, '07, 19:43

shineox wrote:S&M is an abbreviation for the sexual roleplaying term Sadism and Masochism
Sadist is the controlling one and likes to give pain
Masochist is the controlled one and likes to recieve pain
People who like this type of roleplaying usually dress up in leather and carry whips :whistling:

Erika totally misinterpret it and was commenting on which one she is.
And since its a sexual term, Akiyama was more embarrassed than anything.
:D That was my favorite bit in the entire series so far. :heart: I keep going back to replay it... :whistling:

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » May 9th, '07, 19:54

I think that Erika can totally work as either an S or an M :P

User avatar
kirameki
Posts: 11
Joined: Nov 7th, '05, 00:45

Post by kirameki » May 9th, '07, 20:06

auroragb wrote:I think that Erika can totally work as either an S or an M :P
True. Only a masochist would willingly subject themselves to her cluelessness for long periods of time. :roll

But Shota as S would be so hot. :wub:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests