[Discussion] Hotelier

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 30th, '07, 00:42

Liantasse wrote:
Oh, yes, Ryoko-chan, you are right about Yosuke! :wub: I am really curious how things will work out: it seems we have two love triangles, with Ogata as a common point between them :lol Will he be the one left out in the end?! :roll

I just loved the part about the Murakami couple!! :wub: They were sooo cute! That was wonderful acting from the two actors: their surprise and childlike happiness at the wedding-anniversary ceremony made me smile through tears all the time!! XD

It's great how they are getting help from people like this couple and the client Ogata saved nearer the beginning! :-) It's like a perfect illustration to a Romanian proverb: "Bine faci, bine găseşti" ("Do good, and you will find good")! XD

About "the twist", Ryoko-chan, you were so right: Mizusawa's mom married Mr Odagiri. It's so sad, though, for him to find out that both his parents had died... :cry: Not to speak about the evil crazy "something else" that he found out!! :crazy: But by now I'm quite sure it'll be like we worked it out :-) Please God let it be so! :pray: :lol

Who else loves Komoto Masahiro as Kikuchi?! He's sooo good! :D I particularly love the way he rolls his eyes and leaves the scene whenever he feels Mizusawa's about to display some more of his affections towards Kyoko!! XD

Oh, and grrrrr that bad, bad Iwama :x I just hate him and that Goto woman! Contrarywise, Ueda-sempai totally won me over in this episode!! She has hidden talents! :wub: Never expected her to know how to play the organ! :lol

Ah, and Ms Morimoto's-Right-Hand? Or should I say Guardian Dragon? I think Morimoto's just lost her, with that horrible, horrible slap. :glare: Say bye-bye, Morimoto, you've now got a fearsome enemy right by your side!!! At least, I hope he does! :roll :P

All in all, I have no idea how I'll be able to wait for the next episode! I held out so long for this one in hopes I might watch it with my own imouto tonight :-) but she can come over only on Friday... That only means I'll watch it again then! :-)
The love triangles are lots of fun in this one. I don't really feel much coming from the Ogata character in either triangle so far though. I feel he gives more emotional investment in the Ogata/Kyoko/Mizusawa triangle than he does in the Ogata/Akane/Yosuke one. Though Akane shows a lot of feelings for him in the second triangle, he just doesn't seem to have her on his radar so far. Han Tae Jun seems to be a stronger competition for Shin Dong Hyuk in the little I've seen of the kversion, so I'm strill trying to place my feelings for the Ogata character. I think I still ship OgataXHotel. :D

The Murakami couple was adorable. They were so like kids in love! I especially loved her throwing the bouquet and how the pair of them were so giggly. And Mizusawa stealing longing glances at Kyoko was just the icing on the cake in that scene. It seems Ogata's good deeds are really repaid!

You're right about Komoto Masahiro! Kikuchi has really been winning me over in this series. I love how he can be so annoyed at Mizusawa, but when "Boss" is really troubled he's silently concerned too. And I cracked up when Mizusawa refered to him as "that disagreeable fellow" during the cold medicine scene early in the series. Komoto Masahiro is so good at the subtle details.

Iwama is evil!!! I do like Ueda standing up to him and Goto. She's probably the only person I don't remember Iwama talking back to, as well. Ueda's got a strong character like Kyoko, so it's great when she speaks her mind. I was grinning when I saw her playing the keyboard at the wedding. So cute!

And I really hope that Morimoto's assistant does stick it to him but good somewhere in the final episodes. He's horrible to her and Akane. How many women has he slapped so far in this series?
Shin Dong Hyuk and Mizusawa Keigo?! Let's hope never ever in our whole lives we won't have to choose between the likes of them!!! XD At least I do! Send over just one of them, oh heavens! :lol :lol :lol

We could always hope that:

All of the above

was an valid choice! :whistling:

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 30th, '07, 23:09

That's a lotttttttt of smileys

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 31st, '07, 00:08

:unsure: :scratchchin: You talkin' 'bout me, ruisu...? :sorry: :flamed: :pirate: XD
ryoko11 wrote:
I think I still ship OgataXHotel. :D
Let me join you, let me join you!!! :lol
ryoko11 wrote:We could always hope that:

All of the above

was an valid choice! :whistling:

YESSSSS, preaaaseee! :lol :wub:

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 31st, '07, 00:25

hey how'd you know??? :scratch: :lol :P

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 31st, '07, 00:55

/chu You're a sweetie, ruisu! :wub:

How did you like the latest episode? Who would you like to see together at the end? Come on, say something! :-)

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jun 1st, '07, 05:19

Liantasse wrote:
ryoko11 wrote:
I think I still ship OgataXHotel. :D
Let me join you, let me join you!!! :lol

Sure! Welcome aboard! What shall we call our mighty ship then? How 'bout
Ho-gata?! :pirate: :alcoholic: :doh:
I'm kinda loopy since I stayed up to watch the newest episode after downloading. I don't think I'll actually manage any nearly intelligent comments until I've had a chance to sleep on it, but about episode 7:
Holy crap, it really was the knife episode! :goggle: Three knives with prominent roles in this week's action. And Mizusawa really does have the d*mndest luck when it comes to knives, doesn't he? LOL I think he deserves some icon love on that subject!

Looking forward to Kyoko's reaction to this week's cliffhanger already. These episodes just feel way too short! Can't believe there's just one left...

booklovers

Post by booklovers » Jun 2nd, '07, 15:38

ryoko11 wrote:
Liantasse wrote:
I'm kinda loopy since I stayed up to watch the newest episode after downloading. I don't think I'll actually manage any nearly intelligent comments until I've had a chance to sleep on it, but about episode 7:
Holy crap, it really was the knife episode! :goggle: Three knives with prominent roles in this week's action. And Mizusawa really does have the d*mndest luck when it comes to knives, doesn't he? LOL I think he deserves some icon love on that subject!

Looking forward to Kyoko's reaction to this week's cliffhanger already. These episodes just feel way too short! Can't believe there's just one left...
my thought exactly, it's too short and the cliffy is so so so looking forward to.

can't wait till the sub coming out

Lifo

Post by Lifo » Jun 3rd, '07, 17:31

After episode 6 ..
I HATE THE LAST PART!! THAT WAS THE LAST THING I WANTED TO HAPPEN!!
WTF? half-bro and half-sis ?! No wa~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~y :cry:

I hope there's something wrong or they're confusing us .. Please :crazy: !!

airskape

Post by airskape » Jun 5th, '07, 11:16

i really hope odagiri doesnt end up with ogata..theres just something about him i dont like! lol

dont really have much to say about ep 7 either..just waiting on ep 8! :D

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Jun 5th, '07, 13:49

airskape, I think I might now what you're saying... but could it be that there's something you don't like about Ogata as a character or rather about Tanabe Seiichi the actor? :sweat: For me it may be a bit more of the latter... He's a very good actor, though. I've only seen him in Kimi wa Petto before, but I wasn't a big fan of his in that series either... :unsure: I don't know, there's something about his mouth or something... :|

I like Ogata as a character but again, not wholly. Did anyone else cringe as I did when he hit Odagiri on her shoulder with his notebook to get her attention while she was running (in ep 6 I think)?

About ep 7...
It's too painful to see Mizusawa so tortured... :cry: Why didn't Ogata put him right when he heard his confession? I guess it might be because Mizusawa seemed so sure, and he said "real sister"... Maybe Ogata didn't ask the details, but he should have!!! *** you Ogata, what are you trying to do? Steal Odagiri for yourself?!?! :cussing:

I like Kikuchi-san and Ms Guardian Dragon more and more :lol And Iwama less and less... hope he's got it coming... :glare:
Goodness me, can't believe there's only one episode left!! :O Besides having all those threads to end nicely (let's hope?! :wub:), there's also a new character... and somehow she doesn't look like good news... :unsure:

airskape

Post by airskape » Jun 5th, '07, 14:11

Liantasse wrote:could it be that there's something you don't like about Ogata as a character or rather about Tanabe Seiichi the actor? :sweat:
now that you mention it, i think its just something about tanabe himself..lol :roll

theres only one more ep left? ahh..i didnt know it was such a short series..i wonder whats in store for the finale..

this is what i think
seems a little predictable but it goes something like this..
either mizusawa backs out of the deal with morimoto to take over the hotel or morimoto just drops the take over completely since the hotel is going down in value due to the selling of the tennis court and the other thing i cant remember atm

i dont think odagiri will end up with anyone. but i think she will make up with mizusawa and just be friends (or siblings? lol)

akane will most likely end up working at the hotel

possible that the president may die..and then ogata becomes president of the hotel..

maybe a few other things ive missed but thats the jist of it.. :unsure:

so yea..in the end nothing will actually happen to the hotel or staff

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Jun 5th, '07, 14:50

Hmmm.....
Is it really possible after Mizusawa has been saying over and over again (at least once per episode I think :P ) that he is going on with the takeover, that he will back out of the deal?! :roll I can't bring myself to think it.

I do hope that all that thinking he's been doing means that he's got a brilliant plan up his sleeve to both save the hotel and give Morimoto what he deserves.

Please don't say the President wil die!! :O I'm a Ho-gata shipper XD together with ryoko-chan, but I think he is much-much happier as a General Manager than he would be as a President. He is much too involved, he won't be able just to sit at his desk and preside :P

And if Odagiri ends up alone and not with Mizusawa, I'll be too sad. :-(

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jun 5th, '07, 16:32

On the subject of Ogata, I've also been trying to decide if my problems with him are more about the character or the actor. I didn't mind him so much in Kimi Wa Petto, and he did a good job in the episode of Bengoshi no Kuzu that he did. (Kinda funny since he was a househusband whose wife considered him a pet. LOL) Ogata is by far my least favorite role, and while the character is generally a good person I just don't like him. I think for me the biggest issue I have with Ogata is the fact that he has about zero personality. He plays like a device instead of a character, and there is nothing that gives me an emotional connection to who Ogata is supposed to be. He's this workaholic, self-effacing Hotelier with no developed outside interests (unless you count his tepid attraction to Kyoko). He doesn't emote the type of emotions that a man working so hard to save a business should or a man struggling with an unspoken love that's slipping through his fingers. He never even shows frustration.
Look at how calmly he tore down the retrenchment lists. Shouldn't he be at least a bit angry that Iwama is working against him and trying to usurp his position? That someone is causing this much agitation for his staff? That Mizusawa is coming in screwing with everything that's important to him? It's just not human.
He's never been passionate in any of the roles I've seen, but this is downright robotic. So I'm left trying to decide if Ogata's so flat because they cast Tanabe Seichi, or if they cast Tanabe Seichi because Ogata's so flat. Chicken or the egg?
It's too painful to see Mizusawa so tortured... Why didn't Ogata put him right when he heard his confession? I guess it might be because Mizusawa seemed so sure, and he said "real sister"... Maybe Ogata didn't ask the details, but he should have!!! *** you Ogata, what are you trying to do? Steal Odagiri for yourself?!?!

I like Kikuchi-san and Ms Guardian Dragon more and more And Iwama less and less... hope he's got it coming...
I've been theorizing on this one, and I have three options for Ogata's silence:

1. The possibility that Mizusawa's insistance could be based on half-*ssed information might not have occured to Ogata, and thus overriddeng his commonsense and memory. (Mizusawa even told him his mother had married Mr. Odagiri! Duh!)

2. He destroyed so many braincells during his 2 year bender in Seoul that he honestly forgot that Kyoko said her parents weren't her real parents.

3. He's taken advantage of the opening to get a chance with Kyoko. (least likely, imo)

At present I'm going with number 2, because Ogata's bender was his greatest moment as a character anyhow. :alcoholic:

Kikuchi was great in this one when he was chastizing Mizusawa about how he'd treated Kyoko. I loved how he looked like he wanted to intervene and his discomfort at the situation.

And hooray for the Guardian Dragon too! Though I wouldn't have minded her being a bit less magnanimous and a bit more angry at the boss.

norain

Post by norain » Jun 5th, '07, 22:50

comment on epi7. not much to see...
(thought mizusawa's a little mean to odagiri, but then he just found out the girl he's inlove with his sister, bummer..) hopefully not true, i cant wait to see kyoko's reaction to it, tho it looked like she didnt believe it at first, so curious to see that conversation b/n her and mizusawa...

and i wonder bout odagiri's health if she really fainted cuz of exhaustion or there's sumthing more to it... and regarding the president it'd be nice to see her live in this version....

nways sure nice to see ss501...

wls2948

final episode tonight

Post by wls2948 » Jun 7th, '07, 03:22

can believe tonight's episode is the last episode...keep my fingers crossed mizusawa and kyoko will be together ...

Celentt

Post by Celentt » Jun 7th, '07, 08:07

huh? last episode? Why is this series so short? I thought the Korean one was extra long?

on another note : I really want to watch this series but I don't have the quota to download it... anyone wanna trade DVDs? I can burn you some other series in return =\, from this season I'm watching Joudan Janai

wls2948

final episode

Post by wls2948 » Jun 7th, '07, 13:09

hey anyone knows what happen in the final episode please share some spoilers.....thanks!!

airskape

Post by airskape » Jun 7th, '07, 13:46

celentt, you're in melb? as in melb, aus? because i am too 8)
i can burn it to dvd and send it to you probably..and i know what you mean about having no quota! damn optus..only 36gig a month :x

hasenzahn

Post by hasenzahn » Jun 7th, '07, 17:04

Why everyone is thinking that series have 8 episodes? It is clearly written 9 (arabic and not japanese number) on the official homepage!! Sorry guys but this will not be the last episode.

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Jun 7th, '07, 23:04

Aaaah, "sorry"-tte? Why "sorry"? XD It's the best news I had all day!! :cheers: I honestly couldn't see how they'd manage finishing it up nicely in only one episode :-)

Thank you for the heads up, hasenzahn! :wub: We were misled by the DramaWiki page :P

I checked the official site just now, and under "Story" they even have a small summary of ep 9
and even a pic showing the President in a hospital bed! :O
Can hardly wait for more of the story! :-)

wls2948

9 episodes

Post by wls2948 » Jun 8th, '07, 00:25

yeah great to know there will be another episode...any spoilers for last night's episode 8....

Batou

Post by Batou » Jun 9th, '07, 13:08

I love this drama...9 episode are few,but i enjoyed every episode...Aya is very sexy here and act very well,i have to watch episode 8 yet...Mizusawa san forget Kyoko or not?The Tokyo Ocean Hotel will be closed or not?
General manager will marry Kyoko?
I think we will have a very good Final episode!!!

airskape

Post by airskape » Jun 11th, '07, 05:13

ep 8
i found it quite weird to see mizusawa's sudden change of heart. i know it was because morimoto hired a guy to attack the other guy..but still..its kind of lame lol

in the middle of the ep when morimoto said mizusawa was going to pay for his betrayal etc, i thought mizusawa was going to be murdered or something in the finale lol. but as the ep progressed i didnt think anything of that anymore

anyway..the finale looks like its going to all hang on the shareholder conference

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Jun 11th, '07, 11:43

It didn't seem at all sudden to me... more like, at long last! XD Remember all that hard thinking and pondering in the last few episodes? :P

What surprised me was Kikuchi's change of ... sides? Let's hope not of heart, not forever?! :blink Is he going to suddenly lose all the 1000 points he had accumulated for being such a likeable character and loyal partner?! :-( I couldn't believe my eyes... Did the old friend actually love money more than he loved his "boss"? For all this long time, was he actually waiting for a chance to get the best of him? :-( There is one scene in the preview, though, that seems to leave room for a bit of hope...

Speaking of the preview... what was that discussion between Ogata and the Chief Chef in the darkness?! :O Their faces were so grave... Don't tell me the President will really die?!

And why oh why didn't Kyoko ask to see that d****d report?!?! The "itsuka" scene had me all in tears, waaaah! :cry:

This episode did have its hilarious moments too, though! :lol The blouse button, and that well-applied slap from Ueda-san!! XD

Celentt

Post by Celentt » Jun 11th, '07, 11:54

airskape wrote:celentt, you're in melb? as in melb, aus? because i am too 8)
i can burn it to dvd and send it to you probably..and i know what you mean about having no quota! damn optus..only 36gig a month :x
Yes airskape! i'm in Melbourne!
sorry for the late reply, I'm an irregular on the forums

sending u a PM

wls2948

ending...

Post by wls2948 » Jun 14th, '07, 23:25

anyone knows whether it was a happy ending for keigo and kyoko in the final ep?

booklovers

The last ep is up!

Post by booklovers » Jun 15th, '07, 14:21

It's up, It's up

I'm downloading it.

booklovers

Post by booklovers » Jun 16th, '07, 01:31

anyone finish watching it?

I watch it but the last scene is about talking and i barely understand japanese.

airskape

Post by airskape » Jun 17th, '07, 10:08

last ep
geez..they just had to have a perfect ending didnt they? i really wished there was a twist or something! :O

there was something that i didnt understand though..during the talk between odagiri and mizusawa at the pool, odagiri asked him what her mother was like, but literally one minute later she talks about always seeing her mum look at a photo..wtf? lol..was that a major storyline booboo or what?

it was nice to see kikuchi betray morimoto though. and i assume morimoto turned himself into the police? since once he was arrested he just gave the cd to them willingly

oo another thing that bothered me throughout the series was everyones loyalty and dedication to the hotel..i thought it was over the top sometimes..like odagiri's choice to stay at the hotel over love

im sure i missed more but i cant think atm 8)

overall it was a nice drama! ill rate it 8/10 :-)

booklovers

Post by booklovers » Jun 18th, '07, 04:34

airskape wrote:last ep
geez..they just had to have a perfect ending didnt they? i really wished there was a twist or something! :O

there was something that i didnt understand though..during the talk between odagiri and mizusawa at the pool, odagiri asked him what her mother was like, but literally one minute later she talks about always seeing her mum look at a photo..wtf? lol..was that a major storyline booboo or what?

it was nice to see kikuchi betray morimoto though. and i assume morimoto turned himself into the police? since once he was arrested he just gave the cd to them willingly

oo another thing that bothered me throughout the series was everyones loyalty and dedication to the hotel..i thought it was over the top sometimes..like odagiri's choice to stay at the hotel over love

im sure i missed more but i cant think atm 8)

overall it was a nice drama! ill rate it 8/10 :-)

I kinda understand you I also have some doubt about it too.
Apart from Mitchie who smiled and make my knee's weak all over the episode, I just don't like him interpret the character of Seigo like that.

you know, Seigo supposed to be a very intelligent and a bit mean. but Seigo portrait by Mitchie is a bit kind heart and innocent sometimes. :P

I also blame the screen writer too, like in the last ep, where Seigo surprised by Kikuchi's loyalty, the writer should write that it's seigo and kikuchi's plan all along. that will make this two look a lot more smart.

also the scene that Kyoko told Seigo that she can't go to US with him. and that's it!. you know, ppl who love each other do TALK sometimes. ok, I know that may be the writer want another little twist but this is plain stupid.

and I agree with airskape about the Morimoto arresting scene. I totally flabberglabblish when Morimoto gave the CD to police.

and one thing I don't understand is that why they said Seigo has no money ? It's true that he sold everything and buy the hotel's shares. But in the real world, buying shares also regards as investment, you know, even buying an overprice shares.

I just don't get it.!

ok, finish this drama and now I am downloading Hotelier Korean version. anyone got clubbox link? the one mentioned in subtitle threat is so slow.

Also, I just finish the Mystery Folklorist, also starred Mitchie. Kinda funny dorama. too bad no one sub it so I have to make a guess of what they said.

odino

Post by odino » Jun 28th, '07, 14:41

Oh what a lousy last episode, all this happyness nearly made me sick.
The thing at the pool, Odagiri was thinking they had the same birthmother, but she obviously was aware that she was adopted. She never knew her real mother, the same one Mizusawa was supposed to have. Thus she wanted to know about her, and the whole thing came up in confusion. Whether or not it's ok to still date at this point is kind of up in the air, I surely wouldn't date my half-step-half-real-sister or whatever you would call her in this situation.

But apart for serveral other plot holes and the "Hello, I'm not going to America, nice to see you" kind of relationship they are trying to sell, I don't get why Mizusawa is suddenly broke. He sold everything, but for what? If he bought some stock he would still have the stock right? He can't just suddenly have nothing left. Besides, he then managed to find a big apartment nonetheless... Maybe not having a villa means poor in Japan for some people.

booklovers

Post by booklovers » Jun 29th, '07, 01:29

odino wrote:Oh what a lousy last episode, all this happyness nearly made me sick.
The thing at the pool, Odagiri was thinking they had the same birthmother, but she obviously was aware that she was adopted. She never knew her real mother, the same one Mizusawa was supposed to have. Thus she wanted to know about her, and the whole thing came up in confusion. Whether or not it's ok to still date at this point is kind of up in the air, I surely wouldn't date my half-step-half-real-sister or whatever you would call her in this situation.

But apart for serveral other plot holes and the "Hello, I'm not going to America, nice to see you" kind of relationship they are trying to sell, I don't get why Mizusawa is suddenly broke. He sold everything, but for what? If he bought some stock he would still have the stock right? He can't just suddenly have nothing left. Besides, he then managed to find a big apartment nonetheless... Maybe not having a villa means poor in Japan for some people.
my thought exactly!

amirvero

Post by amirvero » Jul 4th, '07, 23:42

I like the drama so far but I have seen only 6 episodes so far so I can't really say anything about the ending. lol I wish where I worked was like that hotel lol but then again I have just been working in that hotel for three weeks lol. Working in a hotel is fun :)

BokoWoShinjite

Post by BokoWoShinjite » Feb 11th, '09, 21:16

amirvero wrote:I like the drama so far but I have seen only 6 episodes so far so I can't really say anything about the ending. lol I wish where I worked was like that hotel lol but then again I have just been working in that hotel for three weeks lol. Working in a hotel is fun :)
Yeah, I think working in a hotel is fun... just never done it before ;)
Do you still work there?

And about "Hotelier"... I've seen it (sadly). I like it, and I want more. And yes, some things were confusing sometimes, but it turned out to be an amazing show, with amazing characters and cast. Also, I hadn't noticed Oikawa Mitsuhiro before. I have now, and will continue to search for his work. As for Aya, she did an outstanding job as well. Are they, mabye, thinking of "Hotelier 2"? :)

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Feb 17th, '09, 20:56

BokoWoShinjite wrote:Also, I hadn't noticed Oikawa Mitsuhiro before. I have now, and will continue to search for his work.

If you're looking for more Micchi, I'd recommend Koi Ga Shitai x3 and Yama Onna Kabe Onna. :)