[Discussion] Hotaru no Hikari (All Seasons)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
shijin

Post by shijin » Aug 21st, '07, 08:26

hey guys,
I saw that there are some fans of this series here. first of all I have to say that I thought myself that there were no good dramas this season, too. But I really came to like Hotaru no Hikari....first of all the actress playing hotaru is super-sweet (maybe the cutest i've seen so far!).
Anyway I agree with the same opinion that most of you share: I think Hotaru and her buchou make a good couple and I personally think it would be quite realistic that they end up being a couple considering that they don't put on airs in front of each other, after all being honest is the first step to a relationship, or am I wrong?

Anyway I also agree that Makoto's character is too bland...you just don't know anything about him except that he's really popular with girls...

Well, I just finished downloading episode 6 and as soon as I'm done with work I'm going to watch it....looking forward to it so much!

kotatsulove

Post by kotatsulove » Aug 21st, '07, 20:21

yea, they are themselves around each other and don't hide anything (Buchou talks about his divorce a lot whereas at work he hides the fact that he's divorcing, and of course Hotaru hides her true, lazy self). that was the main theme in Kimi wa Petto (awesome drama by the way), and i'm kind of thinking its going to be a theme in this drama too. it always seems like Hotaru is really uncomfortable and awkward around Makoto..

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Aug 21st, '07, 22:50

Yeah, Makoto often gives me that "Hasumi-sempai" vibe too. Both of them have that same blandness and problems with getting the girl they like to relax and show her true self to them. I've been mentally comparing the two dramas since about episode one, so I'm glad that I'm not the only person seeing a similarity.

I'm really enjoying this show. Buchou and Hotaru are just both so wonderful to watch.

koitoame

Post by koitoame » Aug 23rd, '07, 18:30

Hello everyone,
This is my first time posting in D-Addicts' forum. I just finished watching episode 1 of Hotaru no Hikaru last night and I'm interested in the plot. :P The manga is still ongoing. I wonder who will she end up with in the end...

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 23rd, '07, 19:59

I loved episode 7... loads of Hotaru/Buchou interaction. I just wish I could've understood what Buchou told Miyuki... :unsure:
How funny was it when Hotaru got into Buchou's bed? She's amazing... I would die if I ever did that to some guy... even more of he's my boss! Also, do you think that one of the two will end up moving out? That's gonna be so damn depressing. Oh, and Yuuka? She's an excelent loser... I doubt I'd be able to tell the person the guy I like is dating that I wish them happiness

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 23rd, '07, 22:30

Noi wrote:I just wish I could've understood what Buchou told Miyuki... :unsure:
When mine finishes downloading later tonight, I'll try and do a quick translation for you (unless someone else does it first^^). Slow slow torrents! : D

kotatsulove

Post by kotatsulove » Aug 24th, '07, 00:43

that would be awesome! i'm dying to know what conversations were going on between Hotaru/Buchou and Hotaru/Makoto in the last minutes of the show! but i am surprised at how much i understood. i get the basic plot of this episode pretty well...
What was the scale that Hotaru stood on measuring? I couldn't have been kg because it said she weighed 13..and its obviously not pounds. is it body fat percentage? just wondering.

koitoame

Post by koitoame » Aug 24th, '07, 01:45

Oh man, I just finished all 8 volumes of Hotaru no Hikari. So many things happened already, what a way to end book 8!! Aaaahhhh!! I'm now dying for book 9... maybe I'll go and buy the Kiss magazine instead... if they have it in the Jap bookstore. It feels different from the tv series too. :blink

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 24th, '07, 02:12

koitoame wrote:Oh man, I just finished all 8 volumes of Hotaru no Hikari. So many things happened already, what a way to end book 8!! Aaaahhhh!! I'm now dying for book 9... maybe I'll go and buy the Kiss magazine instead... if they have it in the Jap bookstore. It feels different from the tv series too. :blink

...Actually, book 9 is already out :lol

Click on spoiler to download :lol

hydeusrey

Post by hydeusrey » Aug 24th, '07, 02:15

hi minna-san.. I'm ReY and this is my first post in this thread ^^ yoroshiku! :cheers:
I really love this drama and although my Japanese is not that good, I'm still keeping up with the RAWs coz I can't wait to find out what's gonna happen next XD but somehow, the site that I used to get the latest eps was closed down, so I was wondering could any of u tell me where I can dload the latest eps? I already got eps1-6, so its only left with eps7 (or maybe eps8 is out?).. I can't use torrent or CB, so I was hoping a direct dload link.. thx for any info and this shows rocks! :cheers:

PS: I can't vote for either Hotaru/Buchou or Hotaru/Makoto, but I definitely love Hotaru's character.. where else u can find an Hebi+Kame+god-knows-whats-more Onna :w00t:

watersmeet256

Post by watersmeet256 » Aug 24th, '07, 05:10

.Actually, book 9 is already out Laugh

Click on spoiler to download Laugh

Hidden:
Thank you, Noi, for sharing it~ ^^ I've been hearing so many things from people. I would like to see what is happening for myself. XD.

I'm currently only in the middle of episode 7 though. DD: Poor Yuka. :-(
[/quote]

divib

Post by divib » Aug 24th, '07, 05:41

watersmeet256 wrote:.
.Actually, book 9 is already out Laugh

Click on spoiler to download Laugh

Hidden:
Thank you, Noi, for sharing it~ ^^ I've been hearing so many things from people. I would like to see what is happening for myself. XD.

I'm currently only in the middle of episode 7 though. DD: Poor Yuka. :-(
[/quote]

ur watching episode 7 raw or hardsubbed?? i only can find 3 episode which is hardsubbed m i missing out some eps?

koitoame

Post by koitoame » Aug 24th, '07, 08:09

Noi,
~Dai-Dai-Dai-Daisukiiiiiiii~ :D Thank you so much for the link to vol 9. *chu-chu-chu*

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Aug 24th, '07, 10:51

kotatsulove wrote:that would be awesome! i'm dying to know what conversations were going on between Hotaru/Buchou and Hotaru/Makoto in the last minutes of the show! but i am surprised at how much i understood. i get the basic plot of this episode pretty well...
What was the scale that Hotaru stood on measuring? I couldn't have been kg because it said she weighed 13..and its obviously not pounds. is it body fat percentage? just wondering.
Yes it is a body fat scale. The first time Hotaru weighed herself - at around 16:40 - she got 13% and was very happy, but Buchou was sceptical because, he says, the average body fat percentage for women in their mid-20s is 24%. Buchou is exactly the sort of guy who seems to collect bits of information to toss them out like this.

Of course, the scale was spoilt, which makes the last scene with it especially funny.

lzydata

Ep7

Post by lzydata » Aug 24th, '07, 15:43

The Doremii group seem to be experiencing some problems, what with subs only up to ep3. It doesn't look like they're giving it up or anything though. My problem, if you can call it that, is I want to discuss the latest developments, but if I don't provide a great lot of translated dialogue here I'll be leaving many out of the loop. People here are asking for the stuff anyway. Then again, if I do keep translating, I'll be duplicating the group's work and I imagine nobody's going to be happy about this.

Oh, never mind. 勝手なこと言ってすみません.

I was still puzzled by the climax of ep7 even after watching it twice. Everything was great except that I didn't quite understand why Buchou said the things he did to his wife, and then afterwards to Hotaru, so I'm lost when it comes to one of the important questions from now on: what will Buchou do? Because in a way Buchou is the character in Hotaru no Hikari who is the hardest to understand.

Anyway, let me translate this part so anyone who's interested to over-analyze things can join me :P

Conversations between 36:23 and 43:00
H: I'm sorry about this, I'm pretty untidy and I don't clean up after myself. This must look really bad...
B: Never mind, you go ahead.
H: But...
B: It's okay! Just go!
[The wife is quite amused about it all. Hotaru heads towards the door but decides to stay and eavesdrop.]

W: I called you many times.
B: Oh, I was sick in bed for a while.
W: Are you alright? ..I'm surprised. Are you two living together?
B: Yeah.
W: If I add the time we dated, I've known you for around 8 years, but I never knew you would live in a house that's in this condition.

W: What does she do?
B: She's just an ordinary OL.
W: How could she be ordinary, making a mess of her room like this? What kind of a girl is she?
B: She joined my section about a year back.
W: You two are in the same company?
B: She was quiet and didn't really stand out. I didn't know anything about her until we started living together. How lazy she is. How basically hapless she is at things. How she would forget about everything else when she becomes obsessed with something. She's a girl who has to thoroughly take a break somewhere before she can work hard. The mess you see here is the proof of how hard she works out there. She's a girl who's always working hard.

W: I'm also living with someone now.
B: ..Really.
W: I felt bad and so I came to apologize, but now I'm a little relieved that you've also found someone new. I'm glad we're meeting like this for the last time. Goodbye.
B: Miyuki!.. Be happy.
W: You too.

B: Why are you here?!
H: Why didn't you tell her what you really feel?!
B: Didn't you go out just now?
H: Why didn't you tell her you don't want to lose her? Why didn't you tell her you still love her?
B: We're divorced now.
H: What?!
B: I didn't tell you this, but we're officially divorced now.
H: What...
B: We couldn't work things out.
H: But... you still...
B: Love her? Even so, there are just some things we can't overcome.
H: ..Is that true? If you really love each other, you can overcome anything, can't you? I think you just didn't try!
B: What do you know? You didn't know anything!
H: That's because you didn't tell me!
B: Why should I tell you? You are just my subordinate. To me you are just my roommate. Nothing more.
H: ...
B: Hurry up and go see Teshima.
H: Then... why did you say things like that?
B: Say what?
H: That I'm lazy...
B: It's the truth.
H: That I would forget about everything else when I become obsessed with something...
B: You're always doing that.
H: That the mess here is proof of how hard I work? Why did you talk about me like you were defending me? Why do you understand me more than anyone else does?
B: It's not like I wanted to.
H: But you do!
B: Yes I do! I know that right now you may be dressed fashionably, but once you come home you change into a jersey. You'll probably wear jerseys your whole life! You'll wear jerseys up to the point you die! No, you'll wear jerseys even after you die. You'll wear jerseys even after you're reborn!
H: ..That's right! Jerseys suit me the most.
B: No matter how well your love life goes, your lifestyle doesn't change one bit.
H: That's right! I'm unable to change my lifestyle!
B: The more you work hard outside, the more "dried" (himono) you become [at home].
H: Exactly!
B: The time you completely laze around in your jerseys is time you treasure more than anything else.
H: It is exactly as you said! [she uses the very polite form here]

B: Aren't there people who would understand and accept all of that?
H: What?
B: Most of all, don't you want Teshima to understand and accept that?
B: Well, whether he will is another question.
H: ..Sure he will. Not immediately, maybe, but someday he'll surely accept who I am!
B: Oh really.
H: If we really love each other, there is nothing we can't overcome!
B: Not that it's my problem, but aren't you keeping Teshima waiting?
H: Oh!
B: Get going!
H: ..Yes.
B: You'd better not come back tonight.
H: Yes.
[She walks towards the door.]
B: If it comes to the worst, just turn off the lights.
B: Just do it! Go!
H: ..Yes!
My comments
First of all, all this happened really quickly, so I didn't see why Buchou got so defensive about Hotaru and her messy habits. It's not like the wife completely condemned her or anything - in fact she looked like she enjoyed seeing this different side to her ex-husband, "boo!" and all that.

On one hand Buchou is defensive about Hotaru and does not clarify things with his wife, leaving her to think that the two are in fact in love and have been for some time. On the other hand, we're still quite sure Buchou has no romantic intentions towards Hotaru, and indeed would be disgusted with the idea. The point he was driving at was that even though he has grown to know and accept Hotaru's fuller personality after living with her all this while, (1) that only proves others could too, and (2) the one Hotaru really wants to let in the know is not himself but Makoto.

Was Buchou trying to hurt his ex-wife by that small "tit-for-tat" gesture, hoping to make her feel just a little pang of regret and jealousy? Or was it the very opposite, as DramaNote suggests, that Buchou was trying to make her feel a little better about her new life and the fact that she strayed first? Either way, is he completely aware that he was only using Hotaru's presence for this purpose, or does he actually appreciate having her more than he thinks he does?

This is why I'm quite excited to hear in the preview Buchou declaring that he will be ending this cohabiting arrangement, saying 同居解消つもりだ doukyo-kaisho tsumori da presumably to Futatsugi. Right now his game plan seems to be to graduate Hotaru from "himono-onna-ness" and then get her to move out. If/when that happens will he regret it like Sena did?

Other nice things about ep7: "I'm not talking about your butt!", Buchou's ii karada, and the bathroom scale fiasco, as the last few posts have covered. Futatsugi's the discreet good pal indeed, Yamada really does the anego thing very well, and Kuninaka Ryoko, sorry Yuuka is the consummate suteki-joshi. Is it really Kato's misfortune to have the most one-dimensional character among the whole principal cast - the boring Makoto, merely a foil for everything else going on?

By the way, sorry I didn't get to translating the Hotaru/Makoto phone conversation at the end. It builds on what Hotaru and Buchou talked about.
Hotaru's diet plan!! (<- hope this didn't spoil it for anyone)
Plan for Staying Over at Makoto's House
~I'll show you I can slim down!!~

MON: Make the schedule

TUE:
- Meals: Breakfast: tomato; Lunch: one banana; Dinner: konnyaku salad
- Exercise: Massage therapy, walking, beauty salon, hot stone spa, 'interior' (?)

WED:
- Meals: Breakfast: anpan; Lunch: yogurt; Dinner: Skip!
- Exercise: Pilates, swimming, beauty salon, hot stone spa, 'interior' (?)

THU:
- Meals: Breakfast: one piece of toast; Lunch: Skip!; Dinner: tofu salad
- Exercise: radio physical exercises (a radio show?); jogging; 'half-body bath' (sitz bath)

FRI:
- Meals: Breakfast: only water; Lunch: one apple; Dinner: Skip!
- Exercise: Beauty salon, hot stone spa

SAT: (big heart symbol) Day of staying over!

koitoame

Post by koitoame » Aug 24th, '07, 19:40

Okay, I've decided. I hope Hotaru ends up with buchou. I have a big hunch that it is also the mangaka's intention. Although Buchou's intentions are still a little mysterious... Maybe he wants Hotaru to end up with someone around her age, and not with an "oyaji" like himself? Hotaru cares for him an awful lot too. Makoto is a bit immature in my opinion. He'll have to be more mature before he can be serious in any relationship besides he has to establish his career first.

So far, only the buchou is able to accept Hotaru the way she is, in any setting. Now that's rare, considering they only work in the same company before they started living together not that long ago. I think buchou is also relaxed around Hotaru too. Hence, they are very compatible. :D

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 24th, '07, 19:55

koitoame wrote:Okay, I've decided. I hope Hotaru ends up with buchou. I have a big hunch that it is also the mangaka's intention. Although Buchou's intentions are still a little mysterious... Maybe he wants Hotaru to end up with someone around her age, and not with an "oyaji" like himself? Hotaru cares for him an awful lot too. Makoto is a bit immature in my opinion. He'll have to be more mature before he can be serious in any relationship besides he has to establish his career first.

So far, only the buchou is able to accept Hotaru the way she is, in any setting. Now that's rare, considering they only work in the same company before they started living together not that long ago. I think buchou is also relaxed around Hotaru too. Hence, they are very compatible. :D
SO you read volume 9? Can you tell me what goes on? My japanese skills are...uh, mediocre, at best XD
I did notice that Makoto and Hotaru broke up... I don't know why, though, or if they have moved on properly after that... :O
[/spoiler]

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 24th, '07, 20:03

koitoame wrote:Okay, I've decided. I hope Hotaru ends up with buchou. I have a big hunch that it is also the mangaka's intention.
Hurrah. Welcome to the camp :DDD

Butttttt--I think you've hit it dead on. They're more comfortable around each other, and can truly be themselves. Makoto and Hotaru have a very shallow relationship in that respect. We all know what Hotaru is hiding, but the way Makoto acts makes me think that he's afraid of revealing something as well. I'm only on Vol. 4 of the manga, so I don't know what's going to happen, however, considering how late we are into the dorama, I'm unsure that Buchou/Hotaru will happen. Hm....

LaLaLaDRAMA

haha

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Aug 24th, '07, 20:32

although im not much of a fan of YOUNG, OLD couple realationship...i want her to end up with bouchou too.. i mean... he totally accepts her for who she is..and always looks out for her best interest. it would be wrong for her to end up with makoto..he seems so boring..and she is not herself at all..around him..thats why she ends up always making excuses and running away!

The Artist

Post by The Artist » Aug 24th, '07, 21:11

I am so behind in this drama, I am patiently waiting for the subs, but I think Hotaru fits her boss Character better than Makoto. I mean she can as sloppy and obnoxious around him with no problem, and they are very funny in a good compatible kinda way.

dmaechan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dmaechan » Aug 24th, '07, 21:23

at first i was rootin' for makoto...(i kinda have a thing for quiet/reserved/mysterious guys..hehe)
but buchou and hotaru are too funny together (>.<) ...they're so cute... they definitely understand each other more... *nods* so...yes...hopefully they will end up together... can't wait for more subs to be released...

koitoame

Post by koitoame » Aug 24th, '07, 23:21

Downloading from bittorent is a bit slow, still trying to get ep. 2 & 3, forget about the raws. :D I'm so glad the manga is available. Well, my japanese isn't all that good either, but I do understand some. Here is what I happened in vol 9, anyone who's interested (it's for you Noi ^.^), I want to apologize beforehand if I get some of the stuff wrong, please correct me.
Seeing Hotaru the way she dress like that for the first time is probably the last straw for Makoto. In the previous volume, Hotaru already told Makoto about living with buchou which he didn't take very well. I think he starts to see a bit of buchou's shadow whenever he's around Hotaru (just my own input). After all she's the one who discusses things with buchou instead of him. Now he knows that Hotaru has been hiding part of her true self from him too, and not from buchou. Buchou seems to know everything. So in the end, he decides to give up on Hotaru. Makoto says, "How can you fall in love by yourself?" (meaning himself). Poor guy, I think he started to have doubts since buchou's accident and the saw how concerned she was.

On the other hand, Hotaru has been a bit confused with her feelings on buchou and Makoto. She definitely has a big crush on Makoto but is that really love? After Makoto breaks up with her, she has no clue what to do. She's in a lot of pain, but she's also moping around. She tries to talk to Makoto but Makoto says that talking doesn't help. Makoto is still in love with Hotaru but decides wisely to end the relationship. Hotaru also moves out of the house and decides to live on her own. She thanks buchou for taking care of her. She doesn't want to trouble anyone anymore, so she decides to stand up on her own. There's also an incident when Hotaru is forced to acknowledged publicly that they are only working partners, which means they're not lovers anymore. Close to the end of Vol 9, Hotaru is almost back to normal again. I think she tries to change her habits, but I guess she can't help it. Anyway, buchou is always watching over her. :P

Oh oh, in an earlier volume, buchou also said that when they were living together, he felt cheated when she was staying with another guy in that house (the incident with Makoto) :cheers:

At the very end of vol 9, they were both dining together. Apparently Hotaru just found out she was poor. :lol Buchou became drunk and invited her back to the house. So she went back and found buchou relaxing in the tub. :w00t: Buchou denied that he really invited her back into the house (didn't remember because he was drunk). It seems like they're back to the beginning. :thumright:

kotatsulove

Post by kotatsulove » Aug 24th, '07, 23:58

oh wow, the manga sounds so good. i wish i could read japanese.. :[ it'd be nice if someone translated this but i don't think it'll happen...its not a very well known manga. plus its aimed for the older generation of women, (josei) and not the kind that many people translate.

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 25th, '07, 02:46

koitoame wrote:Downloading from bittorent is a bit slow, still trying to get ep. 2 & 3, forget about the raws. :D I'm so glad the manga is available. Well, my japanese isn't all that good either, but I do understand some. Here is what I happened in vol 9, anyone who's interested (it's for you Noi ^.^), I want to apologize beforehand if I get some of the stuff wrong, please correct me.
Seeing Hotaru the way she dress like that for the first time is probably the last straw for Makoto. In the previous volume, Hotaru already told Makoto about living with buchou which he didn't take very well. I think he starts to see a bit of buchou's shadow whenever he's around Hotaru (just my own input). After all she's the one who discusses things with buchou instead of him. Now he knows that Hotaru has been hiding part of her true self from him too, and not from buchou. Buchou seems to know everything. So in the end, he decides to give up on Hotaru. Makoto says, "How can you fall in love by yourself?" (meaning himself). Poor guy, I think he started to have doubts since buchou's accident and the saw how concerned she was.

On the other hand, Hotaru has been a bit confused with her feelings on buchou and Makoto. She definitely has a big crush on Makoto but is that really love? After Makoto breaks up with her, she has no clue what to do. She's in a lot of pain, but she's also moping around. She tries to talk to Makoto but Makoto says that talking doesn't help. Makoto is still in love with Hotaru but decides wisely to end the relationship. Hotaru also moves out of the house and decides to live on her own. She thanks buchou for taking care of her. She doesn't want to trouble anyone anymore, so she decides to stand up on her own. There's also an incident when Hotaru is forced to acknowledged publicly that they are only working partners, which means they're not lovers anymore. Close to the end of Vol 9, Hotaru is almost back to normal again. I think she tries to change her habits, but I guess she can't help it. Anyway, buchou is always watching over her. :P

Oh oh, in an earlier volume, buchou also said that when they were living together, he felt cheated when she was staying with another guy in that house (the incident with Makoto) :cheers:

At the very end of vol 9, they were both dining together. Apparently Hotaru just found out she was poor. :lol Buchou became drunk and invited her back to the house. So she went back and found buchou relaxing in the tub. :w00t: Buchou denied that he really invited her back into the house (didn't remember because he was drunk). It seems like they're back to the beginning. :thumright:
Wow! Thanks a bunch, that really cleared up many things for me.
My favorite moments in the manga are when Buchou's father pays them a visit (I really didn't understand what the problem between them was, though... something related to Buchou's mother?) and then Hotaru and Buchou end up riding a helicopter together. I also like the chapter in which they go out searching for a missing cat.
I have some questions, though, seeing as you get it a lot more than i do... before Buchou got hit by a truck, he and Makoto had a conversation. What did Buchou say that pissed Makoto off so much? Also, Buchou's friend told Makoto and Hotaru some stuff about Buchou and Miyuki's marriage that I didn't get... and after Makoto and Hotaru sleep together for the first time, Hotaru goes back home and everything is so awkward... this happens in chapter 16, I think... what was wrong with her? :O

Khai77

Post by Khai77 » Aug 25th, '07, 12:46

Thank koitoame for vol 9.

I really love Hotaru & buchou... I really looking forward how their relationship grow cuz right now it totally platonic

skyfarer

Post by skyfarer » Aug 25th, '07, 12:49

Hello~ I'm a little new here (though I've been lurking), but just thought I'd offer my two cents.

In reply to Noi's spoiler-tagged questions, because I can read Japanese..
I'm doing some of this by memory, so correct me if I'm wrong.

When Buchou's father comes back, it is revealed that his mother's dead. Buchou and his father have a bad relationship because his father wasn't there when his mother died (and wasn't there for his nyuugakushiki or graduations either). Other than that... not really sure, maybe just his father's lazy-carefree-irresponsible-ish personality.

As for the conversation between Buchou and Makoto... Makoto found out that Buchou and Hotaru are living together, and he hasn't been talking to her. Makoto says it's not fair for a boss to be living with his subordinate, but Buchou laughs and says it's not that great all the time. Buchou says, "You should see how that girl is at home." Makoto gets angry and retorts, "Don't call someone's girlfriend 'that girl,' like you know her better than me. You piss me off, ossan (old man... lol)." He yells at Buchou for a while "not to look at her or touch her." He becomes embarrassed afterwards and leaves.

I don't remember this part too well, but Buchou's friends were talking about how Buchou and Miyuki seemed to be a "perfect couple" from the outside. Of course, that's not the case, and the rest of the chapter revolves around that concept.

After Hotaru's first night with Makoto, Hotaru becomes awkward around Buchou because it seems like he knows and has a bimyou (strange) reaction. So she tries to tell Buchou that she did it. Hotaru makes herself believe it's normal, because foreigners (probably Americans lol) do it all the time. She hints at it to Buchou by showing him a DVD about a flirty couple. Later, he tells her that he knows already, and asks her if she really wanted to tell him. She says no. He agrees, and they go home.

slf

Re: Ep7

Post by slf » Aug 26th, '07, 12:17

lzydata wrote: Anyway, let me translate this part so anyone who's interested to over-analyze things can join me :P

Conversations between 36:23 and 43:00
H: I'm sorry about this, I'm pretty untidy and I don't clean up after myself. This must look really bad...
B: Never mind, you go ahead.
H: But...
B: It's okay! Just go!
[The wife is quite amused about it all. Hotaru heads towards the door but decides to stay and eavesdrop.]

W: I called you many times.
B: Oh, I was sick in bed for a while.
W: Are you alright? ..I'm surprised. Are you two living together?
W: If I add the time we dated, I've known you for around 8 years, but I never knew you would live in a house that's in this condition.

W: What does she do?
B: She's just an ordinary OL.
W: How could she be ordinary, making a mess of her room like this? What kind of a girl is she?
B: She joined my section about a year back.
W: You two are in the same company?
B: She was quiet and didn't really stand out. I didn't know anything about her until we started living together. How lazy she is. How basically hapless she is at things. How she would forget about everything else when she becomes obsessed with something. She's a girl who has to thoroughly take a break somewhere before she can work hard. The mess you see here is the proof of how hard she works out there. She's a girl who's always working hard.

W: I'm also living with someone now.
B: ..Really.
W: I felt bad and so I came to apologize, but now I'm a little relieved that you've also found someone new. I'm glad we're meeting like this for the last time. Goodbye.
B: Miyuki!.. Be happy.
W: You too.

B: Why are you here?!
H: Why didn't you tell her what you really feel?!
B: Didn't you go out just now?
H: Why didn't you tell her you don't want to lose her? Why didn't you tell her you still love her?
B: We're divorced now.
B: I didn't tell you this, but we're officially divorced now.
H: What...
B: We couldn't work things out.
H: But... you still...
B: Love her? Even so, there are just some things we can't overcome.
H: ..Is that true? If you really love each other, you can overcome anything, can't you? I think you just didn't try!
B: What do you know? You didn't know anything!
H: That's because you didn't tell me!
B: Why should I tell you? You are just my subordinate. To me you are just my roommate. Nothing more.
B: Hurry up and go see Teshima.
H: Then... why did you say things like that?
B: Say what?
H: That I'm lazy...
B: It's the truth.
H: That I would forget about everything else when I become obsessed with something...
B: You're always doing that.
H: That the mess here is proof of how hard I work? Why did you talk about me like you were defending me? Why do you understand me more than anyone else does?
B: It's not like I wanted to.
H: But you do!
B: Yes I do! I know that right now you may be dressed fashionably, but once you come home you change into a jersey. You'll probably wear jerseys your whole life! You'll wear jerseys up to the point you die! No, you'll wear jerseys even after you die. You'll wear jerseys even after you're reborn!
H: ..That's right! Jerseys suit me the most.
B: No matter how well your love life goes, your lifestyle doesn't change one bit.
H: That's right! I'm unable to change my lifestyle!
B: The more you work hard outside, the more "dried" (himono) you become [at home].
H: Exactly!
B: The time you completely laze around in your jerseys is time you treasure more than anything else.
H: It is exactly as you said! [she uses the very polite form here]

B: Aren't there people who would understand and accept all of that?
H: What?
B: Most of all, don't you want Teshima to understand and accept that?
B: Well, whether he will is another question.
H: ..Sure he will. Not immediately, maybe, but someday he'll surely accept who I am!
B: Oh really.
H: If we really love each other, there is nothing we can't overcome!
B: Not that it's my problem, but aren't you keeping Teshima waiting?
H: Oh!
B: Get going!
H: ..Yes.
B: You'd better not come back tonight.
H: Yes.
[She walks towards the door.]
B: If it comes to the worst, just turn off the lights.
B: Just do it! Go!
H: ..Yes!
My comments
First of all, all this happened really quickly, so I didn't see why Buchou got so defensive about Hotaru and her messy habits. It's not like the wife completely condemned her or anything - in fact she looked like she enjoyed seeing this different side to her ex-husband, "boo!" and all that.

On one hand Buchou is defensive about Hotaru and does not clarify things with his wife, leaving her to think that the two are in fact in love and have been for some time. On the other hand, we're still quite sure Buchou has no romantic intentions towards Hotaru, and indeed would be disgusted with the idea. The point he was driving at was that even though he has grown to know and accept Hotaru's fuller personality after living with her all this while, (1) that only proves others could too, and (2) the one Hotaru really wants to let in the know is not himself but Makoto.

Was Buchou trying to hurt his ex-wife by that small "tit-for-tat" gesture, hoping to make her feel just a little pang of regret and jealousy? Or was it the very opposite, as DramaNote suggests, that Buchou was trying to make her feel a little better about her new life and the fact that she strayed first? Either way, is he completely aware that he was only using Hotaru's presence for this purpose, or does he actually appreciate having her more than he thinks he does?

This is why I'm quite excited to hear in the preview Buchou declaring that he will be ending this cohabiting arrangement, saying 同居解消つもりだ doukyo-kaisho tsumori da presumably to Futatsugi. Right now his game plan seems to be to graduate Hotaru from "himono-onna-ness" and then get her to move out. If/when that happens will he regret it like Sena did?

Other nice things about ep7: "I'm not talking about your butt!", Buchou's ii karada, and the bathroom scale fiasco, as the last few posts have covered. Futatsugi's the discreet good pal indeed, Yamada really does the anego thing very well, and Kuninaka Ryoko, sorry Yuuka is the consummate suteki-joshi. Is it really Kato's misfortune to have the most one-dimensional character among the whole principal cast - the boring Makoto, merely a foil for everything else going on?

By the way, sorry I didn't get to translating the Hotaru/Makoto phone conversation at the end. It builds on what Hotaru and Buchou talked about.
Hotaru's diet plan!! (<- hope this didn't spoil it for anyone)
Plan for Staying Over at Makoto's House
~I'll show you I can slim down!!~

MON: Make the schedule

TUE:
- Meals: Breakfast: tomato; Lunch: one banana; Dinner: konnyaku salad
- Exercise: Massage therapy, walking, beauty salon, hot stone spa, 'interior' (?)

WED:
- Meals: Breakfast: anpan; Lunch: yogurt; Dinner: Skip!
- Exercise: Pilates, swimming, beauty salon, hot stone spa, 'interior' (?)

THU:
- Meals: Breakfast: one piece of toast; Lunch: Skip!; Dinner: tofu salad
- Exercise: radio physical exercises (a radio show?); jogging; 'half-body bath' (sitz bath)

FRI:
- Meals: Breakfast: only water; Lunch: one apple; Dinner: Skip!
- Exercise: Beauty salon, hot stone spa

SAT: (big heart symbol) Day of staying over!
Thank you so much lzydata!!!
It really helped me understand that important conversation.

I support Hotaru x Buchou!

Kazeyama

Post by Kazeyama » Aug 27th, '07, 01:58

Is it just me or does anyone see a resemblance between Ayase/Hotaru and American actress Joan Cusack? Not only does the character act like many of Cusack's characters, but I think she even looks like her in a way - that long face and the clumsy body style.

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 27th, '07, 03:58

skyfarer wrote:Hello~ I'm a little new here (though I've been lurking), but just thought I'd offer my two cents.

In reply to Noi's spoiler-tagged questions, because I can read Japanese..
I'm doing some of this by memory, so correct me if I'm wrong.

When Buchou's father comes back, it is revealed that his mother's dead. Buchou and his father have a bad relationship because his father wasn't there when his mother died (and wasn't there for his nyuugakushiki or graduations either). Other than that... not really sure, maybe just his father's lazy-carefree-irresponsible-ish personality.

As for the conversation between Buchou and Makoto... Makoto found out that Buchou and Hotaru are living together, and he hasn't been talking to her. Makoto says it's not fair for a boss to be living with his subordinate, but Buchou laughs and says it's not that great all the time. Buchou says, "You should see how that girl is at home." Makoto gets angry and retorts, "Don't call someone's girlfriend 'that girl,' like you know her better than me. You piss me off, ossan (old man... lol)." He yells at Buchou for a while "not to look at her or touch her." He becomes embarrassed afterwards and leaves.

I don't remember this part too well, but Buchou's friends were talking about how Buchou and Miyuki seemed to be a "perfect couple" from the outside. Of course, that's not the case, and the rest of the chapter revolves around that concept.

After Hotaru's first night with Makoto, Hotaru becomes awkward around Buchou because it seems like he knows and has a bimyou (strange) reaction. So she tries to tell Buchou that she did it. Hotaru makes herself believe it's normal, because foreigners (probably Americans lol) do it all the time. She hints at it to Buchou by showing him a DVD about a flirty couple. Later, he tells her that he knows already, and asks her if she really wanted to tell him. She says no. He agrees, and they go home.
OMFG, thank you so much! Aaah, I really wish people could realize that this manga exists... it's like, "GUESS WHAT GUYS, NANA ISN'T THE ONLY JOSEI MANGA OUT THERE, KTHX!!!"
Anyhoo, I'm sorry I'm so inquisitive, but I still have some doubts about certain pages of the manga...:
I really didn't get this conversation... :whistling:

Image Image Image Image Image

And here... I'm sure it has something to do with the letter Buchou's father wrote, but...

Image Image Image

Also, why exactly did Buchou leave the house in volume 5? And was he ignoring her at work or something? I didn't really get that chapter either... I think she even says goodbye to him at some moment, wearing a fancy dress...?

And this one... last one, I promise!! T_T

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Does Futatsugi exist in the manga? I mean, I'm pretty sure that the one who finds out about Buchou and Hotaru and living together is Kaname (I really like how he looks with shorter hair ^^)... is Futatsugi the guy with the flowery shirts? XD
Again, sorry for asking so many questions... hopefully someone will hear us out and scanlate this manga!

skyfarer

Post by skyfarer » Aug 27th, '07, 15:12

Noi -
Yeah, someone needs to scanlate this. >< I'm too lazy to do the whole manga, but I'll translate the parts you posted. You can do the interpreting. :)
First part (OMG so long... sorry):
H: It feels good to run around the street early in the morning... though it's a little scary because there's no one around. ...eh? You're kidding... someone's following me?! N-no~~ Uwah-- eh? Buchou...
B: I was jogging. Because recently, my body's been getting dull.
H: O-oh, I see.
H: (thinking) I wonder... it's okay he asked me to go shopping, but maybe he realized it was dangerous and followed me...? Geez, I can't tell if this oyaji is hard to understand or easy to understand.
B: Seems like you're calmed down.
H: Eh..?
B: Since you were so hungry, I thought that you'd eat me from my head. So I was shivering with the cats in my sleep.
H: W-what do you mean by that?
B: Just after you've lost some weight, you had the eyes of a hyena... Men must run out on you all the time...
H: W-who are you calling a hyena?! B-but... B-buchou, you'd think so too... A woman you thought was perfect has fat on her belly... n-no, a body floppier than expected is disillusioning...!
B: Really? [ROFL sorry I translated this part so weirdly] If it were me, I'd probably be excited. I'd probably be turned on by a body only I know.
H: W-w-what are you saying so early in the morning...? T-that's too much like a fetish, Buchou! I-It'd be right to call it hentai! I-I suggest you stay there and reflect on what you said for a while!
B: ...What, you asked.
H: (at home) Gosh, I'm all sweaty. I-I'll take a shower before that hentai oyaji comes home.

Buchou's father's letter: Because I enjoyed too much of the city in Tokyo, I'm going to Tibet. The wind blew... Thanks, Hotaru-chan. Seiichi, let's have friendly fights again.
B: Geez, what's with that old man...?
H: Haha. But he'll come back to this house. Anyway, let's drink some beer.
H: Whew... celebrity (?) fireworks are nice, but this house sure is relaxing.
B: I'm telling you, don't make me ride those things.
H: Now, now, it's okay sometimes.
B (flashback, his father talking): Seiichi, a family isn't something you mould into shape. When you realize it, the place you return to with the person you like becomes a good place to live.
H (thinking): It feels like something changed... or didn't change... thus this summer vacation ended.

Volume 5:
Buchou left because Hotaru sent him a cellphone message telling him not to come home that night 'cause Makoto was there. (He tells her later that it really bothered him.) Buchou lies to Hotaru and says that he's making amends with his wife. Hotaru says goodbye to cut all ties with him.... I think. My memory fails me. xD Correct me if I'm wrong.

Third part:
H: Um... I'm sorry I caused so much trouble today... um... That really helped...
B: Are you stupid? I understand you don't want to cause me, "just a superior who's no longer living together with you," to worry, but it's not going to erase all the memories in that house. I'm a superior who knows that, although you're lazy, you try too hard at times like these. I know you've been overworked recently. If it's for work, it's okay to consult with me.
H: It's not that... I'm sorry.
B: You don't need to apologize about today... as you superior--
H: I'm telling you, it's not that! Like you said, I was overworked... but I finished early the work I brought home. When I realized it, it was late at night, and there was nothing to eat in the house... so I ate the cookie.
B: T-that cookie?!
H: No, not that one! It was something I got a long time ago for the Bon festival, and I thought the raw cream between the cookies smelled a little sour, but I ate it thinking, "Wow, it's so good!" And after I ate a boxful, I saw that the expiration date was in 1999. A-after that, I panicked so much that I couldn't sleep...!!
B: ...So that's why you were dizzy today?
H: *nods*
B: You idiot!!!
H: That's why I apologized! B-but I couldn't bring shame to my kouhai! I was somehow getting along with just my willpower! Really, when you came, it was the moment when I was at my limit, so, um...
B: *laughs* Really! You're..!
H: Well, I'm going to get along fine somehow, even if I'm alone. Buchou, what about you? Um, your wife... I mean, uh.. Are you doing okay?
B: ...I'm fine.

xD Yeah, Futatsugi is the guy in the flowery shirts. Hotaru calls him Rokurou-san (that's his first name, right?). I think Kaname's the one who found out... I don't remember too well, but he also found out about Hotaru's himono-ness. ^^;
Can't wait till Wednesday for the next ep~! :mrgreen:

OolittlepandagirloO

Post by OolittlepandagirloO » Aug 27th, '07, 17:17

To Noi...
Actually, Futatsugi is a character the drama creators made up :-)
Did you watch "Haken no Hinkaku"? There's a character named Hitotsugi in there, and the same actor had a role in Hotaru, so they named the character Futatsugi :w00t:
You see, Hitotsugi in kanji character means "one tree", and Futatsugi means "Two trees" :D
There's a small comedy clip in the Hotaru official website titled "Hitotsugi-san and Futatsugi-san"...if you have the chance to watch it, it's real fun^^ It also has clips of other minor characters, and they focus on the guys at the office.
They're described as "poor fragile guys who are putting up a great fight against the strong women at their workplace"
So hilarious :lol

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Aug 27th, '07, 17:35

thanks a lot for that info and for subbing this drama, OolittlepandagirloO! im really in love with drama, its getting better with each episode.:)

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 27th, '07, 20:37

skyfarer wrote:Noi -
Yeah, someone needs to scanlate this. >< I'm too lazy to do the whole manga, but I'll translate the parts you posted. You can do the interpreting. :)
First part (OMG so long... sorry):
H: It feels good to run around the street early in the morning... though it's a little scary because there's no one around. ...eh? You're kidding... someone's following me?! N-no~~ Uwah-- eh? Buchou...
B: I was jogging. Because recently, my body's been getting dull.
H: O-oh, I see.
H: (thinking) I wonder... it's okay he asked me to go shopping, but maybe he realized it was dangerous and followed me...? Geez, I can't tell if this oyaji is hard to understand or easy to understand.
B: Seems like you're calmed down.
H: Eh..?
B: Since you were so hungry, I thought that you'd eat me from my head. So I was shivering with the cats in my sleep.
H: W-what do you mean by that?
B: Just after you've lost some weight, you had the eyes of a hyena... Men must run out on you all the time...
H: W-who are you calling a hyena?! B-but... B-buchou, you'd think so too... A woman you thought was perfect has fat on her belly... n-no, a body floppier than expected is disillusioning...!
B: Really? [ROFL sorry I translated this part so weirdly] If it were me, I'd probably be excited. I'd probably be turned on by a body only I know.
H: W-w-what are you saying so early in the morning...? T-that's too much like a fetish, Buchou! I-It'd be right to call it hentai! I-I suggest you stay there and reflect on what you said for a while!
B: ...What, you asked.
H: (at home) Gosh, I'm all sweaty. I-I'll take a shower before that hentai oyaji comes home.

Buchou's father's letter: Because I enjoyed too much of the city in Tokyo, I'm going to Tibet. The wind blew... Thanks, Hotaru-chan. Seiichi, let's have friendly fights again.
B: Geez, what's with that old man...?
H: Haha. But he'll come back to this house. Anyway, let's drink some beer.
H: Whew... celebrity (?) fireworks are nice, but this house sure is relaxing.
B: I'm telling you, don't make me ride those things.
H: Now, now, it's okay sometimes.
B (flashback, his father talking): Seiichi, a family isn't something you mould into shape. When you realize it, the place you return to with the person you like becomes a good place to live.
H (thinking): It feels like something changed... or didn't change... thus this summer vacation ended.

Volume 5:
Buchou left because Hotaru sent him a cellphone message telling him not to come home that night 'cause Makoto was there. (He tells her later that it really bothered him.) Buchou lies to Hotaru and says that he's making amends with his wife. Hotaru says goodbye to cut all ties with him.... I think. My memory fails me. xD Correct me if I'm wrong.

Third part:
H: Um... I'm sorry I caused so much trouble today... um... That really helped...
B: Are you stupid? I understand you don't want to cause me, "just a superior who's no longer living together with you," to worry, but it's not going to erase all the memories in that house. I'm a superior who knows that, although you're lazy, you try too hard at times like these. I know you've been overworked recently. If it's for work, it's okay to consult with me.
H: It's not that... I'm sorry.
B: You don't need to apologize about today... as you superior--
H: I'm telling you, it's not that! Like you said, I was overworked... but I finished early the work I brought home. When I realized it, it was late at night, and there was nothing to eat in the house... so I ate the cookie.
B: T-that cookie?!
H: No, not that one! It was something I got a long time ago for the Bon festival, and I thought the raw cream between the cookies smelled a little sour, but I ate it thinking, "Wow, it's so good!" And after I ate a boxful, I saw that the expiration date was in 1999. A-after that, I panicked so much that I couldn't sleep...!!
B: ...So that's why you were dizzy today?
H: *nods*
B: You idiot!!!
H: That's why I apologized! B-but I couldn't bring shame to my kouhai! I was somehow getting along with just my willpower! Really, when you came, it was the moment when I was at my limit, so, um...
B: *laughs* Really! You're..!
H: Well, I'm going to get along fine somehow, even if I'm alone. Buchou, what about you? Um, your wife... I mean, uh.. Are you doing okay?
B: ...I'm fine.

xD Yeah, Futatsugi is the guy in the flowery shirts. Hotaru calls him Rokurou-san (that's his first name, right?). I think Kaname's the one who found out... I don't remember too well, but he also found out about Hotaru's himono-ness. ^^;
Can't wait till Wednesday for the next ep~! :mrgreen:
Wow... once again, thanks a lot for this! xD

I'm sure that you understand the manga better than most of us, so... what are your thoughts on it? How do you think it's going to end? Do you think that Hotaru and Takano's relationship is merely platonic, or do you believe it's going to go somewhere in the future? :|

koyar

Post by koyar » Aug 27th, '07, 22:05

OolittlepandagirloO wrote: There's a small comedy clip in the Hotaru official website titled "Hitotsugi-san and Futatsugi-san"...if you have the chance to watch it, it's real fun^^ It also has clips of other minor characters, and they focus on the guys at the office.
They're described as "poor fragile guys who are putting up a great fight against the strong women at their workplace"
So hilarious :lol
Are you referring to Men's Hotaru and Hikari web drama? I have been wondering what is it about, after going through the hassle of borrowing a friend's windows machine (it doesn't work on macs) and I found out the drama is restricted to Japan only, because I think the site checks the IPs.
It certainly sounds interesting... too bad....

watersmeet256

Post by watersmeet256 » Aug 28th, '07, 00:59

I just watched finish episode 7 in chinese subs and I got to say, I really love Hotaru and her wacky-ness. Her actions of clipping the buchou's hair. So cute...I really like the interactions between those two. XD.
And gosh, preview for episode eight. Wow. Hotaru has decided to come clean about her " himono-ona-ness" and and her co-living with the Boss to Makoto?!! 0_0 Makoto runs away in shock after her confession though. ^^; Kazuki...However, I love you so, I got to admit, Makoto, you need more guts. D: Pats* Oh well, it's his role character. Anyway, it doesn't look too good for Hotaru/Makoto next episode. There's a missed fireworks date, misunderstanding which concerns Yuka and stuff. On the other hand, Buchou/Hotaru seems to be going on quite well. I'm pretty afraid that I'll be upset when I see the Buchou leave the house at some point though. I wonder if they'll do it exactly the same as the manga? :unsure:

skyfarer

Post by skyfarer » Aug 28th, '07, 01:51

Noi wrote:Wow... once again, thanks a lot for this! xD

I'm sure that you understand the manga better than most of us, so... what are your thoughts on it? How do you think it's going to end? Do you think that Hotaru and Takano's relationship is merely platonic, or do you believe it's going to go somewhere in the future? :|
C: No problem, glad to help!

Well, in the manga...
I think Hotaru/Buchou is definitely possible! :cheers: By the end of vol 9, Makoto's officially out, and we're back to the beginning with just Hotaru and Buchou. There are hints everywhere in earlier volumes too, so I wouldn't be surprised if they end up together. :D
As for the drama, I hope it happens, but there's still the possibility of Hotaru ending up alone. The drama itself has an entirely different feel to it too. :scratch: Anything goes.

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 28th, '07, 01:57

skyfarer wrote:
Noi wrote:Wow... once again, thanks a lot for this! xD

C: No problem, glad to help!

Well, in the manga...
I think Hotaru/Buchou is definitely possible! :cheers: By the end of vol 9, Makoto's officially out, and we're back to the beginning with just Hotaru and Buchou. There are hints everywhere in earlier volumes too, so I wouldn't be surprised if they end up together. :D
As for the drama, I hope it happens, but there's still the possibility of Hotaru ending up alone. The drama itself has an entirely different feel to it too. :scratch: Anything goes.

.....hints? From which side? I suppose Hotaru is much more expressive than Seiichi, anyway... any special moments you like the most? :O

koitoame

Post by koitoame » Aug 28th, '07, 04:09

I think vol. 10 is supposed to be out in October. It feels like vol 1-9 is the end of the 1st part, and now on with the 2nd. :D I just hope it's about buchou and Hotaru. I mean, think about it, all the obstacles are now cleared to let them have a romantic relationship. I think buchou thinks Hotaru's a bit special, unlike all the women he met in the past. I mean you can't be bored around Hotaru and buchou laughs a lot around her too. He really enjoys her company. Besides buchou has always been Hotaru's support through her relationship with Makoto. I wonder how buchou is going to be like when he's serious about Hotaru. I think Hotaru's going to be in shock when they really are in a relationship. I'm going to enjoy her reactions. :P

I just hope the mangaka is going this way. You never know. Some mangaka has some weird ideas. I hope she doesn't disappoint. :-)

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 28th, '07, 05:37

koitoame wrote:I wonder how buchou is going to be like when he's serious about Hotaru. I think Hotaru's going to be in shock when they really are in a relationship. I'm going to enjoy her reactions. :P
So, a spoilerish question about vol. 9 of the manga (becasue, yes, I'm that slow.
Does Buchou already know about Makoto and Hotaru? If he does, what was his reaction? I bet there's a nice moment between our two....awww...

OolittlepandagirloO

Post by OolittlepandagirloO » Aug 28th, '07, 14:37

koyar wrote:Are you referring to Men's Hotaru and Hikari web drama? I have been wondering what is it about, after going through the hassle of borrowing a friend's windows machine (it doesn't work on macs) and I found out the drama is restricted to Japan only, because I think the site checks the IPs.
It certainly sounds interesting... too bad....
Yes, I mean Men's Hotaru. I didn't realize it can't be seen outside Japan...that must have been disappointing :O
Interesting how all the comic spoilers are racing around here :D

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 29th, '07, 13:55

tonights episode actually bored me a little but it may have been just the mood i was in
the end was good though it made me eager to see the next episode

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 29th, '07, 15:18

Yorokobi wrote: the end was good though it made me eager to see the next episode
Care to spoiler us a little, please? : D

Star Candy

Post by Star Candy » Aug 29th, '07, 16:45

kyaaa, no, I'm very fond of Makoto/Hotaru... I feel like Hotaru and Buchou are more like siblings, iie, I don't want Buchou/Hotaru :cry:

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 29th, '07, 18:50

But Makoto is like.... blaaaaaaaaah.

XD

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 30th, '07, 00:45

i actually saw a little more life in makoto this episode but hes still blah to me too
For most of the episode Hotaru was worried about being herself infront of makoto as in whether it was okay to wear they old tshirt and track pants.
Hotaru and Makoto got to see fireworks from a helicopter (thanks to buchou)it looked so cool!!!!
Afterwards Makoto asks her to live with him she says yes
Later Hotaru ends up confessing all her odd quirks to Makoto and he asks for more time she gets really worried but he was only looking for something (i dont know what didnt really understand) so everything is ok
Then Hotaru is an idiot and goes out of the house in her Hotaru clothes to drop something off and gets locked out of the house cause she loses the house key.
She goes to work and call buchou from downstairs they end up having to hide/avoid makoto and kaname. But then just as buchou says hes going up to get his bag cause they are gonna go home together (i think) Makoto appears and then runs away.

Looks like hes completely ignoring Hotaru in the next episode (what a petty guy) and there seems to be other issue brought up, maybe more people know about buchou and hotaru.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Aug 30th, '07, 01:03

I really like the Takano/Hotaru relationship! I think they are cute together!!! :wub:

I can go either way when it comes down to who she ends up with. But I think her and her manager have shared so much that it would seem more natural for them to fall for each other. :mrgreen:

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 30th, '07, 04:02

Yorokobi wrote:i actually saw a little more life in makoto this episode but hes still blah to me too
For most of the episode Hotaru was worried about being herself infront of makoto as in whether it was okay to wear they old tshirt and track pants.
Hotaru and Makoto got to see fireworks from a helicopter (thanks to buchou)it looked so cool!!!!
Later Hotaru ends up confessing all her odd quirks to Makoto and he asks for more time she gets really worried but he was only looking for something (i dont know what didnt really understand) so everything is ok
Then Hotaru is an idiot and goes out of the house in her Hotaru clothes to drop something off and gets locked out of the house cause she loses the house key.
She goes to work and call buchou from downstairs they end up having to hide/avoid makoto and kaname. But then just as buchou says hes going up to get his bag cause they are gonna go home together (i think) Makoto appears and then runs away.

Looks like hes completely ignoring Hotaru in the next episode (what a petty guy) and there seems to be other issue brought up, maybe more people know about buchou and hotaru.
WHAAAAAT?!
WTF, I know the drama is supposed to be different to the manga, but, come on... the one who was supposed to ride that helicopter with Hotaru was Takano, not Makoto -_-

Eh, I guess I already know how this is going to end, then :roll

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 30th, '07, 04:30

Noi wrote:
Yorokobi wrote:i actually saw a little more life in makoto this episode but hes still blah to me too

WHAAAAAT?!
WTF, I know the drama is supposed to be different to the manga, but, come on... the one who was supposed to ride that helicopter with Hotaru was Takano, not Makoto -_-

really? thats how it goes in the manga?
man before it happened i was sitting there saying to myself please let buchou go!

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Aug 30th, '07, 05:20

Noi wrote: WHAAAAAT?!

That's so disappointing. I know the mangaka doesn't have THAT much input into a show, but for the producers to COMPLETELY change the storyline as in to continue leading us to a Hotaru/Makoto end...I don't know. It's wrong, and a large part of me really wants to think that it's just not possible. They're kaput in the manga, so the least they should do is end with Hotaru alone > <

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 30th, '07, 18:02

PopGilligan wrote:
Noi wrote: WHAAAAAT?!
That's so disappointing. I know the mangaka doesn't have THAT much input into a show, but for the producers to COMPLETELY change the storyline as in to continue leading us to a Hotaru/Makoto end...I don't know. It's wrong, and a large part of me really wants to think that it's just not possible. They're kaput in the manga, so the least they should do is end with Hotaru alone > <
Exactly.

Writers, director, producer... WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!
That chapter is one of my favorites, mainly because we actually get to find out a lot about Buchou's past and about his relationship with his father. Character background is OMGFUN!!!111111 And it would've been so good to finally meet Bontaro- san.

The helicopter ride (the highlight of the chapter) is so cute as well... it's one of those perfect little moments that only Hotaru and Takano can have xD It's nice to see that Takano, despite how strong he looks, does have some vulnerabilities and fears. It's just one of those chapters that show how much these two care for each other, and one of the few in which the reassuring person is Hotaru, telling Takano that everything is fine because she's there. And Buchou learns an important lesson towards the end, which you can read a few posts back, translated by skyfarer.

*sigh* I don't know what to think really. I mean, it's fine if they want to change a few things. God knows I'm all for recycling, but seriously... so many things are lost when this is done. Next thing we know in the drama Makoto is going to be the one getting hit by a truck instead of Takano

Is it really necessary for them to change the whole thing?

If I were Hiura Satoru, I'd be SO INCREDIBLY PISSED right now.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

So yeah, sorry to anyone who actually likes Makoto/Hotaru, but that was so cheap, IMHO.

skyfarer

Post by skyfarer » Aug 31st, '07, 13:06

Just watched ep.8.... ;o; OMG. What were they thinking?!
Like most of the other manga-readers said, the drama's going on a totally different course from the original. ;____; The helicopter scene was one of my favorites, too.

>__< I think the drama puts way too much emphasis on "the himono-onna finding love and somehow keeping it" (is this supposed to be a glimmer of hope to himono-onnas out there?) rather than the manga's emphasis on "living comfortably with the one you love." Since we still have a maybe two more episodes for Makoto/Hotaru to sort things out, I think they'll end up together (and srsly, why the heck does Makoto suddenly have two sisters who wear jerseys?!) .___. Darn it. Makoto's such a flat character in the drama, too.

And on the HnH BBS, a lot of people do support Makoto/Hotaru. There are Buchou/Hotaru people out there, but there seems to be a fewer number of them... .__. *sad*

[/rant, sorry. No offense to Makoto/Hotaru fans. .__.]

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Aug 31st, '07, 15:44

I've been neutral in this debate about who Hotaru should go with, but as time goes by my sympathies have drifted towards Buchou, if only because the two of them have such hilarious conversations every week and there won't be any more of them when Hotaru moves out. That's one part of the drama that hasn't let us down. But I don't think Hotaru/Buchou fans need to restrain ourselves or apologize for supporting who we do. There are perfectly good reasons to support Hotaru/Buchou, and I'm sure Hotaru/Makoto fans - if there are any here :unsure: - will understand.

Speaking of the whole moving out issue, I was surprised that it's Buchou who is now...
offering to do it. Futatsugi was very astute in his response. "Okayyy, so if you are willing to move out, you would have done so long ago. But you've stayed with her for so long, and based on your character..." The much simpler thing to do would be to continue to insist on his rights and stay put. Buchou is being inconsistent, and Futatsugi together with the rest of us must wonder why. Heck, Futatsugi is so troubled by this, he resorted to calling up the office anego Yamada. And he's not even in their department!!

Personally I'm not so troubled by the bait-and-switch the staff seem to have done with the helicopter ride as the synopsis and preview for next week, that it appears that Hotaru's himono-onna-ness is about to become a huge scandal among her department coworkers, complete with incriminating photo for evidence, and this bit about her disappearing somewhere and everyone going to look for her. (Her jikka in Matsumoto?) Unreal. Did it happen in the manga??

From what I've gathered from people's posts here, the manga's story development is more straightforward, namely that Buchou's character is filled in so he's not just the boss at work, Hotaru and Buchou enjoy their own moments together, Makoto eventually goes out of the picture, and the winner is Hotaru/Buchou (?). The drama staff may be trying a more risky strategy in juggling at least three different plotlines.

1. Buchou is about to take himself out of the running, so to speak, by moving out.
- But is he just not facing up to his true feelings and giving up prematurely, like Hotaru accused him of doing with his ex-wife? Advantage to Makoto
2. Futatsugi is about to tell Yamada something about the whole business.
- Which may or may not have a connection to the photo and Hotaru's public humiliation. Advantage to: very unclear
3. Makoto is angry with Hotaru for... (my guess: it's not the clothes but the idea that she and Buchou have something going on between them.)
- And he calls a time-out? quits? Advantage to Buchou?

Really, Ep8 tells you so little by itself. They should be advertising it and ep9 as a two-parter, or maybe just the first of a four-parter. How cruel can they be to leave us hanging till next week?

Noi

Post by Noi » Aug 31st, '07, 18:42

*sigh*

I guess I'll hope for an anime. Nodame Cantabile and Nana got one, why not HnH? :mrgreen:

wachi

Post by wachi » Aug 31st, '07, 19:56

Heh, this is why I don't ship drama couples.. sometimes you'll get too emotionally attach and end up major disappointed. Unless you already know who will end up with whom.. but ship the other just for fun. :D

koitoame

Post by koitoame » Aug 31st, '07, 21:47

I'm not sure if this drama will get an anime. I do hope so. After reading the manga, I really got attached to the buchou and Hotaru. After all we know what really happened to Makoto and Hotaru, right? I'm looking forward to the new stories. I'm gonna ignore the drama for now. It'll only spoil it for me. :-(

watersmeet256

Post by watersmeet256 » Sep 2nd, '07, 01:57

Wow. From all the responses above, you can see how much the content of the drama has deviated from the manga. I wonder if the author really gave her permission to let them do so...It just seems a pity. And a pity that HNH is only going to last ten episodes and stop airing on 9/12. Even though there will be an extension on the timing. D: And after watching the chinese subbed version, finally many things come to light. There is so much meaning in the Hotaru/Boss conversations and stuff that are kinda ambigous. You don't really know if he likes her or not. ;_; And I was mistaken about the Makoto thing, apparently he ran away because the pair looked chummy. Oh well.

And next week's episode...
Makoto ignores Hotaru because of his thoughts of her and Buchou being close. A very upset Hotaru goes missing, leaving her handphone in the office. Takano(Buchou) gets very worried and sets out with some others to find Hotaru. They find her cooped out in a warehouse storeroom and an extremely relieved Takano hugs Hotaru despite the others being present.

山田姐(I forgot her romanji name..^^;) finds out about them co-staying together and advises Hotaru about it and suggests to her that Takano(Buchou) might posess certain feelings for her. She said that in Love, there is no certain answer and one must find it her or himself.

Hotaru decides to test Takano to confirm if he likes her. But she is unable to see any signs of like in his ambigous answer and Hotaru decides that it is not possible.

Kaname is worried about Hotaru and Makoto's relationship. He asks Makoto what he was upset about, to which Makoto tells him how worried he is regarding Hotaru/Buchou's relationship. To which Kaname volunteers to drive Makoto to Hotaru's house and which they see Hotaru and Takano looking very chummy with each other....
What a cliffhanger again. Smacks producers* DD:
And I saw this in the TV magazine I happened to buy. ^^;
[img]
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb27 ... g001-5.jpg
[/img]

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Sep 2nd, '07, 02:05

watersmeet256 wrote:
Hotaru decides to test Takano to confirm if he likes her. But she is unable to see any signs of like in his ambigous answer and Hotaru decides that it is not possible.
Where'd you hear this about next week? CM? I'm just curious : )
Hurrah! Some hope! Although dealing with Hotaru/Buchou so late in the series just further convinces me we'll get some super ambigous ending. But at least Hotaru/Makoto is going to be on the rocks. My prediction? Makoto is out of the picture 10 minutes into the finale, leaving Hotaru to decide what to do with Buchou.
So, we're just getting 10 episodes? Lame. They'll be what, an hour and a half each then?

watersmeet256

Post by watersmeet256 » Sep 2nd, '07, 02:59

PopGilligan wrote:
watersmeet256 wrote:
Where'd you hear this about next week? CM? I'm just curious : )
Hurrah! Some hope! Although dealing with Hotaru/Buchou so late in the series just further convinces me we'll get some super ambigous ending. But at least Hotaru/Makoto is going to be on the rocks. My prediction? Makoto is out of the picture 10 minutes into the finale, leaving Hotaru to decide what to do with Buchou.
So, we're just getting 10 episodes? Lame. They'll be what, an hour and a half each then?
Yep. Ten episodes. It was written in the TV magazine I bought.The last one will air from 10.00 to 11.09? So I'm guessing just about a hour and nine minutes. D:
About the review of the next week episodes, I got them from the main website.
http://www.teny.co.jp/himono/09.html

Noi

Post by Noi » Sep 2nd, '07, 03:03

10 episodes only?!!
and with all those wonderful spoilers... ONLY 2 MORE EPISODES LEFT?!! Also, can I comment on how wonderful that huge load of Buchou/Hotaru chumminess sounds? Thanks a bunch, Watersmeet!!!
...SP PLZ!!! GIVE US AN SP DAMMIT!!!

(btw, I just noticed that the song Hotaru is humming/singing while cleaning her room is Otsuka Ai's "Sakuranbo".... I cracked up when I realized it... it's such a preppy, bubblegum-ish song...! XD)

taclln

Post by taclln » Sep 3rd, '07, 08:52

Ten episodes??? But dramawiki's ratings guide says twelve!!

Hopefully it is twelve; I'm hoping for an H/B ending and I dont know how well this can be developed with only ten.

koitoame

Post by koitoame » Sep 4th, '07, 02:08

More thoughts about the manga so far...
I remember that there's one part in the manga when Takano complimented on Hotaru on a job well done even after her break up with Makoto. There's also another part when Takano asked Hotaru if she took out the trash properly (after they started living apart). :D I don't know much about the drama, since I only managed to download 3 episodes so far. I mean Makoto is a nice guy, just not for "our" Hotaru. :P He's still young, give him time to mature. :thumright:

Noi

Post by Noi » Sep 4th, '07, 02:24

Lol, I usually have to no problem with Makoto. He's kind of plain, and all, so I don't like him or dislike him...
Which doesn't mean I didn't go all "OMFG MAKOTO YOU PRAT!" after he broke up with Hotaru in volume 9. Yeah, he has a point and all, but still, BE A MAN, DAMMIT XD. It's because he's so immature that Buchou is winning Hotaru over... Takano is anything but a little boy xD

harukaya

Post by harukaya » Sep 5th, '07, 03:27

a question to all those who read the manga,
did makoto ever asked hotaru what's going on between buchou and her? or hotaru ever told him exactly why they were living together?

isn't it a LITTLE childish to break up with someone without finding out the reason?

hmm.. :blink just a thought

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Sep 5th, '07, 13:18

this episodes was my favourite
my spoiler was writen during adds i watched bits so it may read a little weird
i was on edge the entire episode which i think is a first for me with this show cant wait to see how it ends
Buchou hugged hotaru!!!!!! yay i hope they get together.
I love Kaname hes the best ever hes so nice in this episode
mokotos reason for running away was because the hotaru he saw with buchou was not one he knew
ahh makoto was just going to see hotaru and came across buchou and hotaru playing outside the house he was gonna run away again but buchou said hotaru will explain properly so dont go or something
ahh this episode is killing me it could still go either way really
buchou explained things to makato and then asked makoto if he had any question he asked a few and his last was what do you think of hotaru? buchous answer was hotaru is your woman dont forget that man buchou is cool
hotaru appologised and what not to makoto but in the end he said i liked you but the one who was always by your side was buchou
he left but she chased after him and asked him to believe in her that there was nothing between her and buchou and he said because he likes her he wants to believe and once again asks her to move in with him
so calls buchou and tells him shes moving out the next day
its made very obvious in this episode that Buchou likes hotaru but hotaru episode is too full of Makoto to even think about it much though she cries when she leaves the house, remembering her times with buchou
I cant believe he let her go!

Noi

Post by Noi » Sep 5th, '07, 15:56

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Yorokobi, thanks for the spoilers...

I can't wait for the episode!!!!! *kill herself*

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Sep 5th, '07, 23:16

Wheee! Yorokobi, you've made me a happy, happy girl, and REALLY has me interested in seeing how they're going to finish up this drama next week (sad cries). It feels like there's so much more story, and it's the producers, etc. are going to have to cram it all in. All, well, that's alright. Should make for a good finale, ne?

skyfarer

Post by skyfarer » Sep 5th, '07, 23:48

Just saw ep.9. Happiness. :D

As for harukaya's question,
I believe she does tell him straight out, but he starts avoiding her soon afterwards.

Noi

Post by Noi » Sep 6th, '07, 02:03

Finished watching episode 9... and OH MY GOD. (Some pics under spoiler)
That initial scene? It killed me right on. Then the whole search party thing? The hug? OMGOMGOMGOMG. I was like, foaming at the mouth. (I'm also quite happy because Makoto felt a bit more alive to me in this episode).

Seriously, kudos to both actors... Ayase and Fujiki's chemistry is like WHOA (...and Fujiki looked really nice in this episode, Y/Y?).

Hotaru and Buchou? brother-sister dynamic? Give me a break. It's got LOVE written all over it, and I think that episode 9 proved it more than any other. I adore the fact that he was worried sick about her when she didn't come home, the text message he sent her (although, Buchou, you FAIL for adding that last line. Moron.) or that they were both thinking about each other while Hotaru was having dinner alone. Or the two toothbrushes and the two bowls, the last beers they drank together.... *sigh*

Oh, Buchou, why is it so damn HARD for you to be nice with the girl? You don't have feelings for her? HA. You trying to cover it up? Lol, trust me, after this episode NO ONE BELIEVES YOU ANYMORE. Hell, even Hotaru didn't for a while.

Also, when Hotaru left the house, I was almost crying with her... I was all "OMG HOTARU, JUST TURN AROUND AND GO HOME!!!11111".

Damn you, Buchou, for being so friggin' vague when answering questions! Say something next time, and you just might get the girl in the end!

EDIT: BTW, anyone who has watched more than 3 dramas knows just how much of a big deal a hug is... and this was no exception. Quick replay of the scene more than once? CHECK. Camera doing a 360 around them? CHECK. At least one of the characters being shocked by the hug? CHECK. Awkward moment right after it? CHECK CHECK CHECK!!!

Episode 10, COME TO US, QUICK!!!! xD

OH, and like... I saw they where advertising for the OST... will someone be getting that? This drama has a lovely soundtrack.

watersmeet256

Post by watersmeet256 » Sep 6th, '07, 07:45

Noi wrote:Finished watching episode 9... and OH MY GOD. (Some pics under spoiler)
That initial scene? It killed me right on. Then the whole search party thing? The hug? OMGOMGOMGOMG. I was like, foaming at the mouth. (I'm also quite happy because Makoto felt a bit more alive to me in this episode).

Seriously, kudos to both actors... Ayase and Fujiki's chemistry is like WHOA (...and Fujiki looked really nice in this episode, Y/Y?).

Hotaru and Buchou? brother-sister dynamic? Give me a break. It's got LOVE written all over it, and I think that episode 9 proved it more than any other. I adore the fact that he was worried sick about her when she didn't come home, the text message he sent her (although, Buchou, you FAIL for adding that last line. Moron.) or that they were both thinking about each other while Hotaru was having dinner alone. Or the two toothbrushes and the two bowls, the last beers they drank together....

Oh, Buchou, why is it so damn HARD for you to be nice with the girl? You don't have feelings for her? HA. You trying to cover it up? Lol, trust me, after this episode NO ONE BELIEVES YOU ANYMORE. Hell, even Hotaru didn't for a while.

Also, when Hotaru left the house, I was almost crying with her... I was all "OMG HOTARU, JUST TURN AROUND AND GO HOME!!!11111".

Damn you, Buchou, for being so friggin' vague when answering questions! Say something next time, and you just might get the girl in the end!

EDIT: BTW, anyone who has watched more than 3 dramas knows just how much of a big deal a hug is... and this was no exception. Quick replay of the scene more than once? CHECK. Camera doing a 360 around them? CHECK. At least one of the characters being shocked by the hug? CHECK. Awkward moment right after it? CHECK CHECK CHECK!!!

Episode 10, COME TO US, QUICK!!!! xD

OH, and like... I saw they where advertising for the OST... will someone be getting that? This drama has a lovely soundtrack.
Thank you, Noi for the screencaps and Yorokobi for the summary. I'm currently watching the episode. But I couldn't resist popping in to see if any other people have watched it already~^^ I'm so happy but sad now because the series is ending just when it's starting to get really good. No...Hotaru don't leave the buchou all alone. ;_;
Oh, OST? Gwahh..Did they state a date of release yet?:D

Noi

Post by Noi » Sep 6th, '07, 21:38

Can anyone say something about the previews? What was going on?

harukaya

Post by harukaya » Sep 7th, '07, 03:23

thanks skyfarer..

as to previews, various scenes:
hotaru happily moves in with makoto,
buchou said something to hotaru and her reply was: now, our relationship is only work-related
a couple other scenes i forgot (sorry) and finally,
hotaru put stuff she normally eats into buchou's grocery basket
now the question - is hotaru moving back in w/buchou?

i want to see EPISODE 10 NOW!! :D :D :D

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Sep 7th, '07, 09:23

harukaya wrote:i want to see EPISODE 10 NOW!! :D :D :D
Me too! This is just plain torture.
There are two kinds of people in this world, those who get locked up in meeting rooms and warehouses easily, and those who don't. I belong to the former.

Not counting the hug - I almost want to write The Hug - Buchou is still putting on his best Vulcan act by not revealing anything of his 'true' feelings towards Hotaru. He always finds the most crappy things to say to ruin the moment. Yet his feelings are clear enough to practically everyone else... save Hotaru.

Plus, what are we supposed to think when Makoto asks him "how do you feel about Hotaru" and he replies "Amemiya is your woman; I have never forgotten that." Hmm.

As I see it, there is the more boring and unsatisfying ending where they do go their separate ways. Maybe that's also the more realistic ending - people don't always seize the chances they get with romance. Or else there is the ending we are all waiting for, which I don't have to spell out. If it really is going the way things should go, then what Buchou said about the house going to be torn down was just a ruse to make sure Hotaru doesn't try to come back. It had better be a white lie, because I've come to love the house and the porch myself :)

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Sep 7th, '07, 14:42

^ You're right, Buchou is like a vulcan, can someone give him some pointy ears :lol

akinoame27

Post by akinoame27 » Sep 9th, '07, 09:17

I´m dieing to see ep 10!! Ep 9 was soooooo good. OMG, I want to buchou and Hotaru end up together... Makoto is ok... but not for Hotaru!! Buchou is the one!!
If Hotaru ends up with Makoto I will never forgive the screenwriters.. :glare:

alfredo

Post by alfredo » Sep 9th, '07, 09:57

where can one get the manga for this series? thanks.