[Discussion] Juken no Kamisama

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Akaru

[Discussion] Juken no Kamisama

Post by Akaru » Jul 15th, '07, 06:29

I guess I'll just start a discussion since my group is subbing this drama~!

Juken no Kamisama (受験の神様)
also known as: God of Exams
Airs on Saturdays, 9pm on NTV

Yamaguchi Tatsuya as Umezawa Isamu
Nagashima Mitsuki as Umezawa Hiro
Yachigusa Kaoru as Umezawa Nobuko
Narumi Riko as Sugawara Michiko
Nishimura Masahiko as Tenki Shigeo
Morimoto Ryutaro as Saionji Yoshitsugu
Morimoto Shintaro as Saionji Tadatsugu

Synopsis:
In this original series, TOKIO's Yamaguchi Tatsuya stars as Isamu, a businessman who divorced from his wife five years earlier and currently lives with his son Hiro (Nagashima Mitsuki), a sixth-grader. One day, Hiro tells his father that he wants to take entrance exams for a private junior high school. Isamu, who only ever attended public schooling, is clueless about preparing for the tests. So he seeks out the help of the genius junior high schooler Michiko (Narumi Riko), who is known as the "exam god" for her abilities as a tutor - all of the students she trains pass their exams.
Source: Tokyograph

Subber: Littlix! Subs
Last edited by Akaru on Jul 15th, '07, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Aru-girl

Post by Aru-girl » Jul 15th, '07, 08:24

hmmmmmmmmm ,, can u please post the Synopsis??? ^_^ thanx

Akaru

Post by Akaru » Jul 15th, '07, 08:26

Aru-girl wrote:hmmmmmmmmm ,, can u please post the Synopsis??? ^_^ thanx
Updated... xD

arabian

Post by arabian » Jul 15th, '07, 08:32

will released soft & hardsub??

Aru-girl

Post by Aru-girl » Jul 15th, '07, 08:33

thanx .. i liked the story
is it a comedy or what ?
sorry for asking so much ^_^

Akaru

Post by Akaru » Jul 15th, '07, 08:47

Yes, there will be both hardsubs and softsubs.
And yes too, the listed genre in dramawiki is comedy

kokitty

Post by kokitty » Jul 15th, '07, 12:02

Just viewed the pilot, a pretty impressive first episode. With so many manga adaptations this season, it's refreshing to find one which offers something that relates more to everyday life. Viewers from the western countries might not be able to relate to this but the obession for young kids to do well in school, sending to them to jukus, engaging private tutors is a pretty major in some Asian countries. I've seen parents queuing up for days just to get their kids a place in a famous juku during summer vacations.

Excellent characterization of the main characters in the first episode. We have a single father who is unaffected by this obession.... just wanting his son to enjoy his growing up years, learn and experience things at his own pace. But is he in a danger of not motivating his son to realise his full potential? Think almost every viewer's affection is won by the young son within the first 30min, unlike other jaded kids who are merely being pushed by their parents, here's a boy whose heart is in the right place. Narumi Riko's character, the Juken Kamisama is a very intriguing character.... seemly cold and distant but makes one eager to find out what's the story behind her. Casting of the 3 main characters was a masterstroke, Yamaguchi Tatsuya who is very much in his element as an a down to earth, warm-hearted loving father. Nagashima Mitsuki's a little cutie who naturally draws the viewer's affections to him... and it's such a bonus that he and Yamaguchi looks pretty alike such makes the father/son protrayal even more convincing. Narumi Riko is such a cool young actresses, with maturity and beauty beyond her years.

The plot seems to be a cross between Dragon Zakura, Jyoou no Kyoushitsu and Boku no Ikiru Michi taking the best parts of each of these dramas respectively. The cast doesn't seem to be popular enough to generate high ratings nor generate huge discussions here cos of the lack of attractive 20yr old idols in it. But if you enjoyed the subtle critisims of the japanese education system, rooting for the young student to achieve their exam goals in Dragon Zakura and Jyoou no Kyoushitsu... combined with the sweetness of a single dad's interaction with his young son....Juken no Kamisama might be right up your alley.
Last edited by kokitty on Jul 15th, '07, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

floydian

Post by floydian » Jul 15th, '07, 17:20

Very insightful post, kokitty. I've also enjoyed reading your posts in the First Kiss and Hotaru no Hikari thread as well.

I haven't really taken much notice of this drama since it's so low-key but it's anything like Dragon Zakura, Jyoou no Kyoushitsu and Boku no Ikiru Michi, I'm definitely gonna check it out.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 15th, '07, 21:39

Man, this drama turned out to be better than I've expected.
Actors were good, the dad and especially the lil boy. :thumleft:
Narumi Riko's character on the other hand, personally I find her arrogant attitude kinda irritating to watch; that single (cold, expressionless) expression that doesnt change throughout the entire episode, but I guess that's how her character is.
Overall, this is a good drama that I'll keep watching; heart-warming with its cute and funny moments too. (Loved the part where the dad went to the different schools and got himself into trouble :lol )
I reckon there'll be a good amount of character development to look out for too, possibly Juken no Kamisama herself! :roll
Can't wait till ep2!
kokitty wrote:The cast doesn't seem to be popular enough to generate high ratings nor generate huge discussions here cos of the lack of attractive 20yr old idols in it.

:rofl:

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jul 15th, '07, 23:42

Narumi Riko is gold... :)
I guess I'll need to find some time and HD space to check this out... ^_^;

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Jul 16th, '07, 00:15

I was very impressed with the first episode. Good acting, good story, endearing characters... I've never seen Gussan act, but he's a perfect fit for the father role here and the chemistry with the son is quite natural. Narumi Riko doesn't disappoint either, and I think we'll be seeing her character develop as the series progresses. It's quite easy to see the similarities with Joou no Kyoushitsu, but at the same time, it doesn't feel rehashed at all. It's actually quite refreshing to be able to watch something that has some realistic and valuable meaning. If you like the idol-driven dramas, then this probably isn't for you... But if you want substance in your story, and something that will make you feel all warm and tingly on the inside, then I think this is gonna be the show for you this season. After watching the first episode of everything that's been upped to D-Addicts so far, I have a feeling this will be my favorite this season.

I'm very, very tempted to sub this... :lol

trapnest

Post by trapnest » Jul 20th, '07, 16:52

Question- has Littlix! Subs drop this project? i can't seem to connect to their site
thanks

Akaru

Post by Akaru » Jul 20th, '07, 17:06

trapnest wrote:Question- has Littlix! Subs drop this project? i can't seem to connect to their site
thanks
Actually we have just released the first episode subs xD
The forum was down for a minute or two, I didn't know why o.O But it's back up now..

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jul 22nd, '07, 01:24

I just watched the first episode and I was really surprised that I liked it. It didn't sound like it would be promising considering I already think Joou no Kyoshitsu is the best anyway and that this would be a rehash. In fact, I think the vibe it gives off is more similar to Haken no Hinkaku, which is another one of my absolute favourites. The Mitsuki is similar to Oomae Haruko. She always reaches the targets she sets as well and they are both cold people.

I really like the relationship between the father and son. Its not perfect and the fact that the father babies his son will be a major cause of friction between him and Mitsuki. I'm interested to see what tutoring hell Hiroshi will be put up against. The next episode looks even more interesting than the first. I particularly like the fact that Hiroshi is the narrator for the story. It makes the whole series much more interesting.

I'm surprised that not many people are commenting on this series. Is it because they were like me and thought it was too boring to download? Or they watched it and didn't like it.

I seriously wonder about Mitsuki's past. Unlike what the father thinks, I think that she isn't dependent on her parents. I think she's a loner and she probably lives by herself or something. The fact that we know nothing about her and that she is so cold makes us want to watch to find out her past and the reasons why she is like this.

Yamaguchi makes a really cute father in this series and like Kokitty says, he has awesome chemistry with his son.

I hope more people watch this soon. It's a drama worthy of hundreds of pages of discussion. Seriously.

bshater

Post by bshater » Jul 22nd, '07, 04:06

mizune wrote:Narumi Riko is gold... :)
I guess I'll need to find some time and HD space to check this out... ^_^;
indeed. she was fabulous in 1 litre of tears! and judging from the comments, the drama is shaping up to be a good one. will definitely watch this.

@kokitty: i love your posts! i just read your comment from the Hotaru thread, and i thought it was very insightful. keep writing buddy. :thumright:

sutefano

Post by sutefano » Jul 22nd, '07, 14:45

I'm very, very tempted to sub this... :lol[/quote]

So what are you waiting for quasloo???
Just go ahead and sub it. I've always appreciated your subs :D

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Jul 22nd, '07, 15:12

^Thanks sutefano. I appreciate the vote of confidence. :lol
But I'm going to be busy over the next few weeks as I get accustomed to a new job, so I don't think I have enough time to really put out quality subs. I'm happy that at least someone else is subbing it, though... It deserves some good attention.

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jul 23rd, '07, 09:31

I was afraid that the second episode would be a let down after such an awesome pilot. But it wasn't. In fact, it makes me even more interested to see how Mitsuko will teach Hiroshi and how she will make him pass. Actually, it also makes me want to know more about Mitsuko and her past.
I'm pretty sure something happened to her and I think it has something to do with her parents. Not sure, but thats the feeling I get. Like when Hiroshi's father mentions her parents, she throws the drink at him. It could be because she got pissed that he was treating her like a kid by saying something like 'you sure tried hard', but I thought she looked shocked when he said that. Its probably because everyone thinks she's this amazingly smart and incredible person that no one actually stops to think that she got where she did today by trying incredibly hard. Maybe she had really crap marks as a kid and her parents beat her up [physically or mentally] for it. I feel sorry for Hiroshi's friend with glasses. His mother is so cruel. I want to throw that woman in burning oil.

Did anyone else think that Mitsuko would throw the lunchbox away instead of accepting it and eating with that girl? I thought she would. I was surprised that she didn't. It made me think that I REALLY do not understand her. It makes me want to watch the next episode even more.
Seriously an awesome show. Everyone should watch this one.

Akaru

Post by Akaru » Jul 23rd, '07, 10:38

So what are you waiting for quasloo???
Just go ahead and sub it. I've always appreciated your subs :D
No offence or anything, but I would like to know if there are anything wrong with our subs?
We worked really hard on it, and it's hard to hear that some people would prefer others to sub it instead of us. We might be new, but that doesn't mean we're bad. If there's anything that's not satisfying please let me know.

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jul 23rd, '07, 11:55

Your subs are great. I watched episode 1 with your subs and the translations are very accurate (from what I understand) and nicely timed. Maybe sutefano doesn't know that you are subbing this?

Akaru

Post by Akaru » Jul 23rd, '07, 12:29

Karawhite wrote:Your subs are great. I watched episode 1 with your subs and the translations are very accurate (from what I understand) and nicely timed. Maybe sutefano doesn't know that you are subbing this?
Thank you. I really appreciate it. The timing took almost 12 hours non-stop to finish, because I precise timed it down to the half a hundredth secondth.

I'm disappointed though that not as many people are watching this show. In my opinion, it's better than alot other drama series this season. It's a more serious kind though, less idols - perhaps that's why the viewership is not as high here. The other show my group is subbing, Tantei Gakuen Q, gets much higher downloads here at D-Addicts even though the ratings are lower than this show's in Japan, probably cause of the stars involved. People should really give this a try >.<

Serilkath

Post by Serilkath » Jul 23rd, '07, 14:06

Akaru wrote:
Karawhite wrote:Your subs are great. I watched episode 1 with your subs and the translations are very accurate (from what I understand) and nicely timed. Maybe sutefano doesn't know that you are subbing this?
Thank you. I really appreciate it. The timing took almost 12 hours non-stop to finish, because I precise timed it down to the half a hundredth secondth.

I'm disappointed though that not as many people are watching this show. In my opinion, it's better than alot other drama series this season. It's a more serious kind though, less idols - perhaps that's why the viewership is not as high here. The other show my group is subbing, Tantei Gakuen Q, gets much higher downloads here at D-Addicts even though the ratings are lower than this show's in Japan, probably cause of the stars involved. People should really give this a try >.<
Keep the faith, the show is really good and has the potential to become a classic i think. However the lack of yamap, maki, jun or other 20 something over-kakkoi idol makes this show a less probable target for the crowd. It'll get there i'm sure.
Keep up the good work, I'm so glad someone decided to pick up this show. I can't wait for episode 2. Junken no kamisama et papa to musume no nanokakan are my favorite shows this season, much more than the over hyped Hana Kimi (which is good too but not as much than those 2 series though).

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 23rd, '07, 17:32

Karawhite wrote:I was afraid that the second episode would be a let down after such an awesome pilot. But it wasn't. In fact, it makes me even more interested to see how Mitsuko will teach Hiroshi and how she will make him pass. Actually, it also makes me want to know more about Mitsuko and her past.
I'm pretty sure something happened to her and I think it has something to do with her parents. Not sure, but thats the feeling I get. Like when Hiroshi's father mentions her parents, she throws the drink at him. It could be because she got pissed that he was treating her like a kid by saying something like 'you sure tried hard', but I thought she looked shocked when he said that. Its probably because everyone thinks she's this amazingly smart and incredible person that no one actually stops to think that she got where she did today by trying incredibly hard. Maybe she had really crap marks as a kid and her parents beat her up [physically or mentally] for it. I feel sorry for Hiroshi's friend with glasses. His mother is so cruel. I want to throw that woman in burning oil.

Did anyone else think that Mitsuko would throw the lunchbox away instead of accepting it and eating with that girl? I thought she would. I was surprised that she didn't. It made me think that I REALLY do not understand her. It makes me want to watch the next episode even more.
Seriously an awesome show. Everyone should watch this one.
I totally agree, this series is so interesting at different levels, especially how they're gonna unveil Michiko's background.
The 2 "shopping bags" she carries around and how she's always clad in her school uniform says something about her too, prolly her family's financial status.
Akaru wrote:The timing took almost 12 hours non-stop to finish, because I precise timed it down to the half a hundredth secondth.
:notworthy:
I like how you guys bother to translate the puns(?) the father and son say to each other.
(The puns show how closely knitted they are and it's another thing I like seeing in this drama.)
Good choice of font size and color too.
You (and your team) gets 2 thumbs up from me! :thumright: :thumleft:
Serilkath wrote:Junken no kamisama et papa to musume no nanokakan are my favorite shows this season
:lol Same goes for me.
Yama Onna Kabe Onna and Hotaru no Hikari are the other dramas I highly anticipate this season too. :P
Last edited by chokubi on Jul 23rd, '07, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jul 23rd, '07, 17:58

@ Chokubi: I agree:
You're right. She doesn't have to go to school but she is always in her school uniform. I know that one of the bags contains books. I'm pretty sure cos she took a book out of one and I'm sure she needs more than one a day if all she does in lessons is read whilst the kid works his ass off
But i think Riko's acting is a bit stiff. Like whenever she speaks, her eyes kinda start glaring and her whole body stiffens. I know its suppose to be because she's a cold person, a robot woman, but it seems a bit unnatural. Makes her acting when she speaks a little unnatural.

Magicus

Post by Magicus » Jul 23rd, '07, 18:14

Akaru wrote:

Well considering the only person that people on this site might potentially be a fan of in this drama is Narumi Riko it's easy to see why it isn't more popular. I think you should stick with it, this is one of those dramas that will become more popular as the season progresses by pure word of mouth(ie. threads like this and reviews at jdorama).

Although I've only seen the first episode I can already tell that this is going to be a great great show, they aren't taking the easy way out by just using alot of slapstick comedy like pretty much all the other dramas this season. There is nothing I enjoy more than a comedy that includes subtle criticisms on Japans society :whistling:

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Jul 23rd, '07, 19:11

Just finished watching the first ep...actually I was impressed..I didn't think that it will be this good..the storyline is great as well as the acting..

the part where the father was in all these schools was funny lol

thanks Littlix Fansub for subbing this drama :salut:

Can't wait to watch the 2nd ep :thumright:

arabian

Post by arabian » Jul 23rd, '07, 19:45

Today I watched Eps 1 .. Wo0o0w it was really nice & I love the little boy acting superb..Looking forward to watch what will hapeen to him in Eps2..

mikaila

Post by mikaila » Jul 24th, '07, 21:56

I didn't plan on watching this drama at first but I decided to give it a try. And wow!! I'm glad I did. It's interesting!! Reminds me alot of Dragon Zakura. :cheers:

kokitty

Post by kokitty » Jul 25th, '07, 12:53

@bshater, thanks for the compliments. I'm really flattered. :P

@quashlo, about Gussan as an actor. I wouldn't consider him as a great actor but he's definitely good enough to carry off this role well. It helps that the role was written specially with him in mind and very carefully tailored to complement his natural qualities.

Just viewed epi 2, a pretty good follow-up epi. Judging from ep 2, seems like Juken will be following the tried and tested formula of "For each epi, you learn a new moral. Something is accompolished and the characters are a step closer to their goal".

While comparisons to Joou no Kyoushitsu would be unavoidable, a key reason to why many have expressed delight that it doesn't feel rehashed could be cos unlike Joou which utilises masterful camera techniques, taking great care in mood creation to maximise the impact of important scenes. Juken utilises a direct and clean approach, playing more attention to the tiny details. For Joou, it's often that viewer would have to spend a couple of minutes thinking through the message for themselves after viewing. In Juken, the message of each episode is presented in your face. The good being nobody will miss the message, minor characters are better developed. The bad being some might deem the drama as too preachy.
To be honest, Juken is beginning to feel like a educational ministry sponsored program to help parents/students deal with exams. In epi 2, we have module 101 which is "Start from the very basics, your lifestyle, diet matters too and to be careful of over-anxiety and over-exertion, pace yourself."

I like how Juken presents epi 2 in 3 parallel storylines, we get a peep of what Horoshi, the father, Sugawara experiences together and seperately. It's not very often to have 3 central characters controlling the flow of the story together. The norm in most dramas these days would be one central character driving the story and others reacting and developing around him/her. With time spent trying to develop the stories of the 3 characters, it's amazing that enough attention is paid to the minor characters too. It's not often that we can form such vivid mental images on the personality trait & family backgrounds of minor characters like the Saionjis (the top boy, doctor family) and Tezukas (the seemly bossy gal, small resturant family) by epi 2.

2 potential flaws to guard against... 1) Overuse of formula frame-work. We already had 2 episodes of the dad lashing at Sugawara, realising his mistakes, approaching Sugawara on the streets to make remedies. Seems like the dad learns another "lesson" in epi 3 judging from the previews, it'll lazy on the part of the scriptwriters to continue with that framework. Hiroshi is the one who has to sit for exams, his dad can't be the one doing all the main "learning". 2) Likablity of Sugawara - Some have commented on the stiffness of the character which is probably necessary at this stage. While the character is still intriguing at this stage, they need to show some gradual change or give a little more background on her within the next few episodes to get empathy for her. I'm betting for Sugawara to show some gradual changes too since she started to lose her usual composure a little by splashing coffee on the dad when caught by surprise with the dad's concern about her.

sakurachan

Post by sakurachan » Jul 25th, '07, 22:08

Hmm... the 2nd week's rating is already below 10. This is not a good sign.
kokitty wrote:In Juken, the message of each episode is presented in your face. The good being nobody will miss the message, minor characters are better developed. The bad being some might deem the drama as too preachy.
It is almost never a good sign when the message is spelled out in the audience's face. It just shows a lack of skill in storytelling in the writer's part. Not to mention the condescending atmosphere it casts.

As good a story as it may be, a drama is not just the story. It needs a strong cast too. Joou had a very memorable cast with Amami Yuki, Shida Mirai, Fukuda Mayuko, each of them capable of carrying a show by themselves.

This show is just on par. In the short run, I can't see how this can compete with other concurrent shows, which are filled with an eye-candy cast. In the long run, it just doesn't stand out when compared with other shows in the same genre.

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Jul 26th, '07, 02:32

^Did you consider that there are other factors--such as an Asia Cup soccer match between Japan and Australia--that can easily skew ratings?
sakurachan wrote:It is almost never a good sign when the message is spelled out in the audience's face. It just shows a lack of skill in storytelling in the writer's part. Not to mention the condescending atmosphere it casts.
I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that is somehow "condescending"... I doubt many people felt disrespected when they watched the first episode of SekaChuu and found out Aki was going to die. I could argue that it takes just as much skill to weave a compelling story when you get slapped in the face with all the details and morals and everything. You are comparing apples to oranges... Some dramas rely on subtlety, some don't. Doesn't make one style better than the other, although you might like one over the other.
sakurachan wrote:In the short run, I can't see how this can compete with other concurrent shows, which are filled with an eye-candy cast.
But I agree with you here... You're absolutely right, it can't compete. That goes for people watching in Japan and most especially people watching it through D-Addicts, as most users will watch anything that their favorite idol in it, regardless of how ridiculous the rest of the show is.

Akaru

Post by Akaru » Jul 26th, '07, 04:53

It's obvious the ratings went down because of the AFC Asian Cup. All dramas that are in the same time slot as the ones Japan play goes down by 5-6%. Look at First Kiss's ratings, it dropped 6.3% compared to the last week because Japan was playing. Last night's Hotaru no Hikaru's ratings will drop too, once it's released you can compare it. Sadly, it appears that the third placing match will take place AGAIN during Juken's time slot, so I guess it's another week of low ratings...

Well, whether or not it can compete - the question is there but don't count it out just yet. While TOKIO's Yamaguchi + Johnny's Jrs' Morimoto Ryutaro and Shintaro + Narumi Riko might not be enough star power, if it continues dishing episodes like the last few, soon people will get bored of the more-ridiculous stupid-humour-dependant shows.

sakurachan

Post by sakurachan » Jul 26th, '07, 05:38

Akaru wrote:Sadly, it appears that the third placing match will take place AGAIN during Juken's time slot, ...
Well, let's hope Japan has an equivalence of TiVo over there so that viewers can stay with the storyline. Otherwise, it begs the question: is a two-episodes gap large enough for a show without the mega-star cast to lose a critical number of viewers?

Time will tell...

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jul 26th, '07, 08:10

You know, I actually think that Michiko is a sweet person. I was watching episode 2 again:
She purposely stayed with Hiroshi the entire time until his dad came home so that he wouldn't be by himself. True, she was a demon tutor to him, but she stayed with him the entire time.
I wonder why she tutors? Is it just for money? She seems to be really picky about choosing students to tutor. Granted, she's apparently had a 100% success rate but is it because she picks the ones who are likely to succeed?

Akaru

Post by Akaru » Jul 26th, '07, 14:53

Karawhite wrote:You know, I actually think that Michiko is a sweet person. I was watching episode 2 again:
She purposely stayed with Hiroshi the entire time until his dad came home so that he wouldn't be by himself. True, she was a demon tutor to him, but she stayed with him the entire time.
Actually,
I think she was just waiting for Hiroshi to finish the work. She DID say that the class won't end until he finishes everything... but he fell asleep so she went home

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jul 26th, '07, 20:55

@akaru:
That's what I thought at first. But judging from how he was sleeping, he was probably asleep for a long time before his dad came home. If the lesson truly ended when hiroshi started sleeping, she could have left immediately after. But she was sitting in the dining room and reading when he got home. It seemed to me that was waiting for the dad to come home before she left so hiroshi wouldn't be by himself. Plus, the first time Hiroshi fell asleep she made him wake up. Later, she just let him sleep and waited
Last edited by Karawhite on Jul 29th, '07, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

kokitty

Post by kokitty » Jul 28th, '07, 14:58

sakurachan wrote: Well, let's hope Japan has an equivalence of TiVo over there so that viewers can stay with the storyline. Otherwise, it begs the question: is a two-episodes gap large enough for a show without the mega-star cast to lose a critical number of viewers?

Time will tell...
NTV has the option to re-air the affected episodes on Sat afternoon or late Fri nights if they feel there's a need to. They've done it for 1/2 dramas couple of seasons ago, not that it helped though. The affected dramas did not manage to gain back much viewership.

Disregarding the inherent quality of the drama (feel that it's too early to proclaim Juken as good/bad), ratings doesn't look good for Juken going forward. Epi 3 might go even lower with football and FNS27 charity on Fujitv. The coming 2-3 epis, there'll be big scale summer matsuri on Sat which will see fewer at home watching TV. Then you'll have a 1 epi week interruption from 24hr tv which could potentially result in more viewers cooling interest.

Reigning_Ninya

Post by Reigning_Ninya » Jul 29th, '07, 13:11

Hi guys!

I am a n00b but I just wanted to say that I purposely joined d-addicts and made an account because of this series.

I only saw episode 1 but I've cried almost on the last half parts of the episode! It's so touching... I am so glad I stumbled upon this series. I'll continue to download this even if I am busy. Thanks for the people who are also doing the subtitles :)

Hiroshi is soooo cute!

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jul 29th, '07, 13:49

I just watched the third episode. Its seriously gets better and better doesn't it?

I thought that this would be a self contained episode like the first two and I was pleasantly surprised that by the end of the episode the conflict hadn't been resolved yet. I really liked the problem in this episode. It makes me love Hiroshi and his father even more.
I keep wondering what is going to happen next. How Hiroshi will forgive his father and how his father will obtain forgiveness for his friends. I know it was a selfish thing to do but love is selfish and Hiroshi's father is pretty much no match against Michiko when she starts talking anyway so he was lead into going along with the situation. But i think Michiko definately has some purpose that she wants to achieve by making the other two teach Hiroshi. Notice how she made them teach Hiroshi their weakest subjects, leading me to think that she wanted them to improve as well.
I can't wait for the next episode.
Training camp hell. I can't wait to see what techniques she's going to use to help them learn. So far, its just been memorisation by constantly doing exercises over and over until he gets it right. I'm eager to see the other techniques that make her the exam god.

Akaru

Post by Akaru » Jul 29th, '07, 15:06

Karawhite wrote:
I keep wondering what is going to happen next. How Hiroshi will forgive his father and how his father will obtain forgiveness for his friends. I know it was a selfish thing to do but love is selfish and Hiroshi's father is pretty much no match against Michiko when she starts talking anyway so he was lead into going along with the situation. But i think Michiko definately has some purpose that she wants to achieve by making the other two teach Hiroshi. Notice how she made them teach Hiroshi their weakest subjects, leading me to think that she wanted them to improve as well.
I just watched it too. I think the reason Michiko is asking Yoshitsugu and Megumi to teach Hiroshi is because, well, alot of the time, you will make stupid mistakes on the easiest questions. They're too overconfident with those questions, saying that they've done it in their tuition. But Hiroshi, being not able to understand it, might come up with some 'stupid' questions which they might not be able to answer. To be able to teach someone and to answer someone's spontaneous question spontaneously, you must really understand the question. Perhaps that's what Michiko is trying to get them to do - understand the concept, not memorizing the steps of answering, like how Yoshitsugu was reciting the answer while asked to explain on the whiteboard.

teatea
Location: In the woods casting a curse on those who have been naughty

Post by teatea » Aug 1st, '07, 09:00

Anyone think the that Juken no Kamisama girl's really tight and mean? Like really, such an attitude, wanting people to bow down to her. That's disgusting! I'm talking about the character of course. PLease, no misunderstandings

yck

Post by yck » Aug 1st, '07, 20:49

teatea wrote:Anyone think the that Juken no Kamisama girl's really tight and mean? Like really, such an attitude, wanting people to bow down to her. That's disgusting! I'm talking about the character of course. PLease, no misunderstandings
I don't think so. If she doesn't act this way, she'd be mobbed by parents and wouldn't be able to go anywhere or get anything done. As mean as it seems, it's the most effective way to get people off her back. I don't know if you've gone thru that kind of cut-throat educational system but there're parents who'll do just about anything to get their kids into a prestigious school.

Akaru

Post by Akaru » Aug 1st, '07, 23:27

Wow. All the way down to 7.1. >.< Blame it on Japan's 3rd placing match ._.;
I wonder if it'll manage to recover next week...

iago

Post by iago » Aug 2nd, '07, 15:00

Magicus wrote: Well considering the only person that people on this site might potentially be a fan of in this drama is Narumi Riko it's easy to see why it isn't more popular.
Huh. Is it *that* weird that I'm a fan of Yamaguchi?

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Aug 2nd, '07, 15:44

iago wrote: Huh. Is it *that* weird that I'm a fan of Yamaguchi?
No its not. Because I am too XD

The Artist

Post by The Artist » Aug 3rd, '07, 00:05

Its a shame that such a good drama has such a low rating. I have to give props to the girl who plays Michiko she is a true teenage robot, no emotions, rude, but I think she OD sometimes to what she does the people who wants her help, I can't to see why she is like that, Hiroshi and his father will slowly brings out her humanity.
Also the kid who plays Hiroshi and the father are great actors as well, they make a believable father and son team. Can't wait to see ep 4.

teatea
Location: In the woods casting a curse on those who have been naughty

Post by teatea » Aug 3rd, '07, 06:06

^You're completely true about that 100%!

But I thnk I know why it may have a low rating. When did the soccer air? If it was during Juken no Kamisama, then that may be the reason why. I'd expect people to go towards the soccer I suppose.

That Michiko... There's something that is very interesting. You know the first episode right? Isn't it strange that Miciko knows where Hiroshi is exactly and knew where the Father worked and everything? At that point, I was thinking, is Michiko desperate to be bow down to? or is she some kind of stalker or something? I'm completely sure it isn't co-incidental. It may reveal at the end of the series that Michiko is like some sort of Studying Devil or something. lol, that's just my take on it. I haven't watched the second episode yet, nor the third but I hope it will unravel soon enough.

Juken no Kamisama is out every Saturday right?

sutefano

Post by sutefano » Aug 4th, '07, 17:22

No offence or anything, but I would like to know if there are anything wrong with our subs?
We worked really hard on it, and it's hard to hear that some people would prefer others to sub it instead of us. We might be new, but that doesn't mean we're bad. If there's anything that's not satisfying please let me know.
There is nothing wrong at all with you subs. On the contrary, there very good. It's just that I suddenly got this idea to show my appreciation to quashlo for all his work so far.
Please understand, that doesn't mean that I actually prefer him instead of you. I realize
now that I could have chosen another forum for that. I do really appreciate your effort and have no complains about your subs what so ever. That is, I'm deeply satisfied.

I'll try to be more careful with my choice of words next.

My apologies

The Artist

Post by The Artist » Aug 4th, '07, 22:04

teatea wrote:^You're completely true about that 100%!

But I thnk I know why it may have a low rating. When did the soccer air? If it was during Juken no Kamisama, then that may be the reason why. I'd expect people to go towards the soccer I suppose.

That Michiko... There's something that is very interesting. You know the first episode right? Isn't it strange that Miciko knows where Hiroshi is exactly and knew where the Father worked and everything? At that point, I was thinking, is Michiko desperate to be bow down to? or is she some kind of stalker or something? I'm completely sure it isn't co-incidental. It may reveal at the end of the series that Michiko is like some sort of Studying Devil or something. lol, that's just my take on it. I haven't watched the second episode yet, nor the third but I hope it will unravel soon enough.

Juken no Kamisama is out every Saturday right?
Michiko looks to come from a rich family, but she is so bitter and mean. Maybe she has those kinda parents where its about business and no family time. The actress is cute I don't know if its just me but in ep 2 after she threw the coffee at Hiroshi's dad she kinda smirks almost smiled when she was leaving.

The story so far is captivating and all the actors and actresses have been great can't wait for ep 4.

mikaila

Post by mikaila » Aug 5th, '07, 19:17

Narumi Riko's character is very interesting. I can't predict what she will do next, or why she did something, esp. when she threw coffee at the father. This drama really keeps me watching. :D

Akaru

Post by Akaru » Aug 6th, '07, 07:21

Sadly, the ratings seem to not be able to pick up again...
I guess missing 2 episodes due to the AFC cup matches did it :/ It slightly went back up to only 7.8, albeit a great episode about the Summer Triangle.
To make up, everybody should spread the word to everybody else to watch this drama! xD Definitely a great drama that deserves much higher ratings and buzz than it's getting now, in my opinion.

Serilkath

Post by Serilkath » Aug 14th, '07, 21:41

I really wonder where this is going, this is all very weird. I think it'll become far less funny when the series willl start to dwell a little more on Michiko.

The third episode was really weird, I'm not really sure of the lesson being taught here. Can't wait to watch the next episode when it is subbed.

arabian

Post by arabian » Aug 16th, '07, 09:08

I want the Ending song for the drama..if someone can upload it to me it's song by TOKIO I think.. at least if no one have it give me the name of the song..

kokitty

Post by kokitty » Aug 16th, '07, 10:19

arabian wrote:I want the Ending song for the drama..if someone can upload it to me it's song by TOKIO I think.. at least if no one have it give me the name of the song..
TOKIO's Honjitsu Mijukumo.

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Aug 16th, '07, 11:05

Juken no Kamisama's theme song:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/51qme9 TOKIO - Honjitsu, Mijukumono

arabian

Post by arabian » Aug 16th, '07, 11:14

marienella_m..Thanxx 4 uploading.. :lol

arabian

Post by arabian » Aug 19th, '07, 14:39

They didn't aired a new Eps yesterday?? I didn't find the file??

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Aug 19th, '07, 14:48

yes, there's no Juken yesterday because of NTV's 24Hr charity shows. what was shown instead was Tackey and Fukakyon's SP, Kimi ga Kureta Natsu.

btw, arabian, here's the high quality cd rip of Juken's theme song:
Tokio - Honjitsu, Mijukumono http://www.sendspace.com/file/4j9rpj

arabian

Post by arabian » Aug 19th, '07, 17:06

marienella_m wrote:yes, there's no Juken yesterday because of NTV's 24Hr charity shows. what was shown instead was Tackey and Fukakyon's SP, Kimi ga Kureta Natsu.

btw, arabian, here's the high quality cd rip of Juken's theme song:
Tokio - Honjitsu, Mijukumono http://www.sendspace.com/file/4j9rpj
Thanxxx soo much .. u are the best.. :w00t: :salut:

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Sep 3rd, '07, 15:19

Though it's only up till the 7th episode, but I think this should be the best watchable drama this season! :thumright:

Popdog

Post by Popdog » Jan 22nd, '08, 16:14

For anyone that finished watching this drama, I have a question!

How did HIroshi get into the school in the end? I don't quite understand the part where the dad's boss tells the dad something in the office and then suddenly he's in the school. What happened??

kslecar

Post by kslecar » Jan 22nd, '08, 16:55

In answer to Popdog's question :
I think that Hiroshi's test score was high enough to be considered for Hayata if some of the other already qualified students decided not to enroll. The previous episode showed both Yoshitsugu and Megumi taking entrance exams at other schools. I would assume those could have been 'fall-back' schools in case they didn't qualify for their first choice, but obviously the "slots" they reserved in those schools by qualifying would be available for the next-in-line students actually wanting to go there. The schools wouldn't know that, however, until the actual offer for enrollment was refused. I would assume that the situation for Hayata would be similar (note that this is all speculation on my part, gleaned from the Japanese to Chinese to English translated subtitles) :-)
All in all, I thought it was a great drama!...

Jim.

Popdog

Post by Popdog » Jan 22nd, '08, 17:35

I thought it was something like that...but the translation was so odd (to be generous) that I thought maybe I had seriously missed something. Thanks!

nelo

Post by nelo » Feb 21st, '08, 13:26

wow! another drama of Narumi :D

im a new fan of Narumi :D

Auntie Mame

Post by Auntie Mame » Mar 22nd, '08, 02:14

I just watched the first episode of this show and is totally intrigued with the drama. At this point, Michiko is very interesting and mysterious. I was wondering if her character is supposed to be like "Mary Poppin".

I like the the things that Michiko say to them. Such as not giving up before even trying, do they want to pass the exam or really study.

Thank you so much for subbing this drama. Even though it may not have had high viewership in Japan, I'm still looking forward to the rest of the drama because I like it.

parnzaru

Post by parnzaru » Apr 23rd, '10, 14:52

hi.. i just watch the drama
so much knowledge in here !!!
but i episode 6... i don't know what is the queastion that the girl asked Hiroshi?
can anyone explain?
just only the 3 words... but i don't know what are they - -;
daiki, eiaki, seuyeki?
gosh...

thanks in advance