[Discussion] Utahime - Upcoming Nagase Drama!

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Arantius

Post by Arantius » Nov 25th, '07, 12:01

yamatsumi wrote:anyone remember when OST supposed to be out? OSTs for some of other doramas of this season are released already so I guess the one for Utahime can be expected anytime as well ^_^
Yeah wondering the same thing. It's TOKIO song, isn't it? Nice song. Taro sure really can sing lol.

vulgarshudder

Post by vulgarshudder » Nov 25th, '07, 12:22

I watched up to ep 4 and the episode really annoyed me.
I think I'm the only person that thinks it's totally understandable that Taro sees her as a little sister and that well ones love being unrequited happens, no use trying to guilt the other person or crying for hours over it.
I don't know if people spoke in such a strong dialect back then but the tosa-ben is really irritating me! Like it just feels like they're over doing it!!

However I do feel that Taro's past will redeme this dorama.

Arantius

Post by Arantius » Nov 25th, '07, 13:15

vulgarshudder wrote:I watched up to ep 4 and the episode really annoyed me.
I think I'm the only person that thinks it's totally understandable that Taro sees her as a little sister and that well ones love being unrequited happens, no use trying to guilt the other person or crying for hours over it.
I don't know if people spoke in such a strong dialect back then but the tosa-ben is really irritating me! Like it just feels like they're over doing it!!

However I do feel that Taro's past will redeme this dorama.
Well, yeah..
But Taro is still an outsider and the thing that Taro has been helping the family for years in business, its no surprise the family sans the father wanted him to be part of the family. He lost his memory, once he get his memory back, whether he'll return to his past life or to stay with the family is just a matter of time. I think because the family are already comfortable with Taro's presence, being together with Suzu will secure more his place in the family and no worries of him going back to his past life.

Plus, Suzu is a growing girl and should I say too young to know much about love. Taro indeed had been together with Suzu since she was a little girl and he saw her growing into erm, what we see of her now. To see her as a girl besides as his little sister would be hard for him.
Tosa-ben is nice. At least nicer than Aomori/Aoyama (which one?) dialect.

nalika

Post by nalika » Nov 27th, '07, 20:21

lzydata wrote:Three reasons why I'm hooked on Utahime:

1. Like someone said before here, it feels so magical. I don't even know what I mean by "magical", really. It's just the feeling I get.

2. I absolutely cannot get enough of the "Taro to Suzu to tarotaro rinrinrin" routine :whistling:

3. Following up from point 2, I had no idea Nagase Tomoya and Aibu Saki would have such good chemistry. Maybe it's the tan.
ditto...
I'm so hooked right now, I don't even want to watch the other dramas...
I just can't get enough of Taro and Suzu...

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 27th, '07, 21:02

regarding taro and suzu
i think i am the only one who think its very weird for both of them to end up together. because i also see taro's action as the older brother to suzu not the guy being in love with her.
its not even a hind of having some feeling for her but trying hard to supress that feeling because he does not know what will happen to his memory in the future. i mean, yes, he is worried about his memory but some how i cant relate that to being in love with suzu.
plus, showing the young suzu all over taro makes it even harder for me to accept the their.

nalika

Post by nalika » Nov 27th, '07, 21:37

I feel that Taro doesn't want to fall in love with Suzu more to the fact that he might not remember her once his memory comes back...I guess he doesn't want to hurt her not knowing what the future might hold...but nonetheless I really really want them ending up together :wub:

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 27th, '07, 21:54

nalika wrote:
I feel that Taro doesn't want to fall in love with Suzu more to the fact that he might not remember her once his memory comes back...I guess he doesn't want to hurt her not knowing what the future might hold...but nonetheless I really really want them ending up together :wub:
i said i think i am the only one think like this. by the way, from the ep1 here was a hint and in ep 3 they already said who suzu will end up with.

nalika

Post by nalika » Nov 28th, '07, 22:44

Issy wrote:
nalika wrote:
i said i think i am the only one think like this. by the way, from the ep1 here was a hint and in ep 3 they already said who suzu will end up with.
I noticed it and it's just so sad...so unfair :cry: :-( :cussing: they're so in love

fleng

Post by fleng » Dec 1st, '07, 17:20

im liking it much :D

kokitty

Post by kokitty » Dec 2nd, '07, 01:29

Okay after epi 8 i think Prof Yukawa of Galileo has officially been ousted from the title of "Most Perfect/Desirable man of Autumn 2007 Jdorama season" by Oikawa Yuuichi. Let's see Yuu-san was...
a very intelligent top student, great at sports and strong fighter, well-mannered and romantic, muscially and literary inclined, came from a prestigious family with money and power. had great aspirations and most obviously very handsome and tall.

LOL. How perfect can a man be? No wonder the wife couldn't forget him after 10 years, no other man can simply measure up the perfect Oikawa Yuuichi.
And i'm hating the scriptwriter...
If you gave us such a perfect man, at least show us some flashbacks of this perfect man in action!!! The very handsome photo of him simply ain't enough!!!!

I'm leaning towards Miwako's side. I love Suzu Chan and Aibu Saki's been really great with her protrayal but the flashbacks of young Suzu chan is not helping to win me over to her side.
Am i the only one who finds young Suzu chan scary? Admiringly she had very great taste in men at such tender age but systematically brainwashing him to marry you in future with very opportunity you have demonstrates a very "scheming" personality lol.
Have given up trying to figure out whether Tora loves Suzu as a woman or just a sister. Maybe cos if he really loves her as a woman then i'll be forced to reaffirm my fears that my fav actor and guy is just weak in protraying boy/girl love and not for the lack of opportunties in his past dramas. So i'll just not think about it for the time being and see what the scriptwriter has in store.

Besides the "scary" young Suzu chan, i must say James is really testing my patience....
It's understandable that Suzu's family and close friends are reluctant to see Miwako claiming back Taro. But as we go along and when they had more time to conside the situtation, you see them softening their stance since they love Taro too and it's only fair for him to try to remember his past even if it means losing Taro. People like Gillman and Merry are taking a "take it as it goes" stance so why the hell is James so adamant about Taro being together with Suzu treating Miwako like an enemy? James isn't even close to Suzu and his only interest in the relationship was his admiration for Taro and wanted Taro to be happy and loved. Gosh, i'm beginning to think the scriptwriter is just writing lines for James just to let him have more screen-time cos so many Kanjani fans were threateninig to cripple the Utahime bbs at one pt with over-spamming of messages.

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 2nd, '07, 02:16

kokitty wrote:Okay after epi 8 i think Prof Yukawa of Galileo has officially been ousted from the title of "Most Perfect/Desirable man of Autumn 2007 Jdorama season" by Oikawa Yuuichi. Let's see Yuu-san was...
a very intelligent top student, great at sports and strong fighter, well-mannered and romantic, muscially and literary inclined, came from a prestigious family with money and power. had great aspirations and most obviously very handsome and tall.

LOL. How perfect can a man be? No wonder the wife couldn't forget him after 10 years, no other man can simply measure up the perfect Oikawa Yuuichi.
And i'm hating the scriptwriter...
If you gave us such a perfect man, at least show us some flashbacks of this perfect man in action!!! The very handsome photo of him simply ain't enough!!!!

I'm leaning towards Miwako's side. I love Suzu Chan and Aibu Saki's been really great with her protrayal but the flashbacks of young Suzu chan is not helping to win me over to her side.
Am i the only one who finds young Suzu chan scary? Admiringly she had very great taste in men at such tender age but systematically brainwashing him to marry you in future with very opportunity you have demonstrates a very "scheming" personality lol.
Have given up trying to figure out whether Tora loves Suzu as a woman or just a sister. Maybe cos if he really loves her as a woman then i'll be forced to reaffirm my fears that my fav actor and guy is just weak in protraying boy/girl love and not for the lack of opportunties in his past dramas. So i'll just not think about it for the time being and see what the scriptwriter has in store.

Besides the "scary" young Suzu chan, i must say James is really testing my patience....
It's understandable that Suzu's family and close friends are reluctant to see Miwako claiming back Taro. But as we go along and when they had more time to conside the situtation, you see them softening their stance since they love Taro too and it's only fair for him to try to remember his past even if it means losing Taro. People like Gillman and Merry are taking a "take it as it goes" stance so why the hell is James so adamant about Taro being together with Suzu treating Miwako like an enemy? James isn't even close to Suzu and his only interest in the relationship was his admiration for Taro and wanted Taro to be happy and loved. Gosh, i'm beginning to think the scriptwriter is just writing lines for James just to let him have more screen-time cos so many Kanjani fans were threateninig to cripple the Utahime bbs at one pt with over-spamming of messages.
OH MY GOD! someone on my team. :cheers:
I can't believe that i am reading all my thoughts in your post. :lol

yep, from ep 1, i had problem accepting suzu's love for taro. aibu saki's acting was great to me but those flashback scenes on young suzu and her clinging to taro from the first day as her future man is way too strange to accept. scary little girl indeed.

and about Yuu-san in his past life before taro-chan, i was dying to see those flashbackes and was couting on it so much specially after the wife started telling him about his past. i thought i am going to see that "Perfect Yuu-san" of the picture. (specially with that white soldier outfit.)

as for james's reaction to the wife, totally unreasonable. although i sense some sort of jealousy in here. but he has been on my nerve for some reasons.

i tried really hard to sense and feel the love between taro and suzu but i really could not detect anything on taro's side. except the last scenes of ep8 that made me even more confused. i am just waiting to see what is outcome.

kokitty

Post by kokitty » Dec 2nd, '07, 08:07

@lssy

Oh, i have no problems accepting Suzu's love for Taro.
It's normal for a young girl t6o have a crush on an older man and fantasize about being his bride. I did enjoy some flashbacks bet Taro and young Suzu, how the Taro Rinrin song came about and how significant the pearl necklace promise was to both of them. What "scared" me off was how young Suzu would always try to "trap" Taro into promising to marry her every time lol.
About Taro's feelings for Suzu, based on the permise of the drama
it's actually easier to conclude Taro does have romantic feelings for Suzu. Technically Suzu was the one who saved Taro cos she was the first one to spot him floating at sea. It is actually a very romantic permise... a young girl saving this handsome stranger. This little girl knew that he was the one for her eversince she laid her eyes on him lol. Since the handsome stranger is no pedo, he treated her like a sister for the next 10 years no matter how often she tried to bait him lol. When she's grown into a fine woman, she expresses her love for him and the handsome stranger also realises that his brotherly feelings for her has somewhat evolved into romantic feelings now. Unfortunately the wife arrives to claim him back, he chooses the wife. But the bond between the 2 is so strong that although they couldn't be together in this life, they died at about the same time and like what Taro said in epi 7, 'When you love someone so deeply and the bond is so strong... even if you can't be together in this life. You'll reunite in the next life perhaps". Things fall into place better this way.

If Taro doesn't have romantic feelings for Suzu, it would throw a lot of eariler hints out of place IMHO.
But my problem got to do with the acting. I don't feel comfortable talking about this in a public forum at this stage since i might be picking up the wrong hints in this drama and would have "accused" my fav actor of "vague delivery" for nothing. Maybe his delivery was what the script required and things would clear up with the last few episodes yet to air.

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Dec 2nd, '07, 12:17

kokitty wrote:
About Taro's feelings for Suzu, based on the permise of the drama
it's actually easier to conclude Taro does have romantic feelings for Suzu. Technically Suzu was the one who saved Taro cos she was the first one to spot him floating at sea. It is actually a very romantic permise... a young girl saving this handsome stranger. This little girl knew that he was the one for her eversince she laid her eyes on him lol. Since the handsome stranger is no pedo, he treated her like a sister for the next 10 years no matter how often she tried to bait him lol. When she's grown into a fine woman, she expresses her love for him and the handsome stranger also realises that his brotherly feelings for her has somewhat evolved into romantic feelings now. Unfortunately the wife arrives to claim him back, he chooses the wife. But the bond between the 2 is so strong that although they couldn't be together in this life, they died at about the same time and like what Taro said in epi 7, 'When you love someone so deeply and the bond is so strong... even if you can't be together in this life. You'll reunite in the next life perhaps". Things fall into place better this way.

If Taro doesn't have romantic feelings for Suzu, it would throw a lot of eariler hints out of place IMHO.
You go, girl. I cried upon reading your spoilers. Nice one.
It's so much pain to endure for both parties ie Suzu and Miwako. Miwako is the wife and Suzu is maybe the one who lives with Taro longer than the wife herself. That is why, it's hard to choose who to root for. I also think Young Suzu is scary LOL. What's with wanting a pearl necklace for her birthday and to be Taro's wife and all...but that's a child's mind. She adores and KNOW the handsomeness of a guy in front of him, not wanting to let him go to anyone else.

It would be so much better if they dont make Miwako's character is so persistant to meet Taro and let her go all the way to the filming room. I do pity her. Who wants to let a handsome husband to somebody else? And hahaha to the prickled fruits scene, I cried so much seeing Taro trying to dig them in the kitchen and whats with the sad background music but as he ate them, everything was just spoiled lol.

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 2nd, '07, 17:01

@kokitty
i might not have expressed how i feel properly in here.

i think i would have accpeted their love much easier if it was not for those flashbacks of young suzu each time wanting taro to promise never to leave her side. and ep8 made it even harder to accept. i totally agree with you on Taro's love for suzu. but those memories of young girl made me so uncomfortable to accept the story.
and lightsoul is right, your description of their love is so perfect and emotional. that is why we concluded that although the could not be eogther in this life, their love for each other can be happens their grandchildren.

kokitty

Post by kokitty » Dec 4th, '07, 12:34

@lightsoul

It’s definitely Yuuichi x Miwako for me! I want to see Oikawa Yuuichi! This means Taro has to regain his memory, transform back into Yuuichi ASAP since the stupid scriptwriter wouldn’t show me flashbacks of this PERFECT man! Taro was adorable while it lasted but I’ve lost my heart to Oikawa Yuuichi LOL.
Jokes aside, i think as illustrated by 10yrs of pining from Miwako, the pocket watch and brooch. Miwako loved Yuuichi deeply and the feeling was mutual. Honestly I thought Miwako wasn’t persistant enough… if I were her, and this is the PERFECT Yuu-san at stake here, I would have drugged him, make the Yukuza uncle kidnap him back to Tokyo, get the best doctors to treat him… just resort to whatever desperate ways and means to get my Yuu-san back.

What makes me admire Miwako is that she doesn’t think as selfishly as I would. Yuuichi's well-being is always her top priority. While she wants her Yuu-san back, she knows that forcing it all upon him suddenly will bring him pain and she’s prepared to help him recover slowly, with minimal intrusion on the life he is used to even if it will be more painful for herself.

To be honest, i'm even puzzled why Miwako isn't more agressive. We already know that they have a child, it would have been logical for her to at least bring the child to see Taro. I don't understand why she made no mention of the child in her attempts to regain Taro's memories.

Yes, the pickles scene was funny but it’s really such a Nagase drama scenario. His dramas has a tendency of building up something that the audience is anticipating then suddenly does a 360degrees turn in mood which just “spoils” everything but makes it really fun and memorable. It’s an acquired taste, I have friends who go ??? about it.
@lssy
Oh, i'm just making some speculations on what could potentially happen for Taro and Suzu. Guess my dilemma kinna differs from yours. My head tells me Taro has romantic feelings for Suzu cos it's hard to link the story up at this stage if Taro only sees Suzu as a sis. But my heart doesn't buy the Taro loves Suzu scenario cos i couldn't feel that Taro desired Suzu as a woman from Nagase's protrayal. Good chemisty yes, but more siblings like. Even the most obvious ending part of epi 8, the girl kissed you for goodness sake, shouldn't the affection be returned by kissing her back passionately. I was kinna confused about the hug, so i'll rather not think too much about it for now and focus on being in love with Oikawa Yuuichi for the time beling.

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 6th, '07, 23:39

@kokitty
ok, this is so funny because i do agree with your points regarding taro's love tringle, his wife's point of view, even been puzzled by his reaction at end of ep 8 but somehow it seems like can't make my point clear enough here.

anyway
that is how i felt about lat scene of ep8
i tired hard to make myself believe that Taro has feeling for suzu as a woman (as i feel that it is the writer's intention for both of them to be so), so i saw his hug was a good reply to suzu'z kiss. as Taro has been confronted by his wife ealier and knows that he has been telling the truth, then he sees suzu declaration of love is too late. he has to chose between those two and one of them will get hurt in the process and nothing can prevent it. not fair on ony of them.
well, this is the only answer i could give myself to solve the meaning of that hug.

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Dec 7th, '07, 14:00

Utahime episode 9 has just finished a minute ago. This is a massive spoiler!!!!
They finally reveal that Taro has a child. 子供かいる!!

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Dec 7th, '07, 19:10

lightsoul wrote:Utahime episode 9 has just finished a minute ago. This is a massive spoiler!!!!
I am guessing, it's a girl.

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Dec 7th, '07, 19:42

XrayMind wrote:
I am guessing, it's a girl.
Yea haha...from episode 1 we all already knew that. But I'm just being dramatic I guess. :lol
Ok I'm just surprised to know that they even have a child before Taro being recruited to the war. My guess before this Taro and Miwako will get back together and only after that they'll have a child.

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 8th, '07, 00:29

lightsoul wrote:Utahime episode 9 has just finished a minute ago. This is a massive spoiler!!!!
well, its about time. they already left so late in the story
i can not believe that this little information was the last thing on their mind. the child had to been born after Taro's missing so the writer can have a reason for him to go back to his wife.
after watching this ep i am 100% on miwako side. she is putting Taro's happiness before her own and is ready to give up on him because she sees how happy he is in here.
i don't know how the story will develops in last two eps but it would be a shame that Taro goes back to his old life just because he has a daughter and feel responsible and not to feel his wife's love and devotion to him.
and i am more than confused with opening scenes (the last scene's of ep8) of this ep. for one week i was waiting to get some answers but got hit by a comdey version of last weeks scenes (specially with that music that killed last week's mood ). they build up the story up to those scenes so they can show us everything meant as a joke on both sides? i just can not understand it.
oh, and james is getting more than annoying.

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Dec 8th, '07, 08:58

@Issy;
Yeah watching this episode changed my stand completely on who to root for.. TT__TT
Ok so now I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo rooting for Miwako. Like you said, she didn't use Sakura (their daughter) as a weapon to drag Taro back into his previous life. Knowing that Sakura thinks his father already died in war makes my heart aches more. I cried three times watching this episode and of course mentioning Sakura is one of those. Now when to think abt it, Sakura is maybe 10 y/o girl now? This is the first time Tomoya played a father role of his own daughter. Ok, he's not. In Otouto he played a father too.

Is it just me or what, watching this drama with Tosa-ben is somewhat easier to understand than other dramas w/o subtitles. I don't understand why Kanto people are avoiding this drama with the excuse of "don't understand the dialect", so they ignore it. And one more thing, I don't know why but Taro looks extra hot in this episode.

oh, and james is getting more than annoying.
Hahaha of course no surprise to hear that from you, the real Taro-Miwako supporter. XD

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 8th, '07, 18:41

@lightsoul
you are right, tosaben is getting easier for me to understand too and i hardly can understand nihongo.
those last scenes in ep9 were so emotional for me too. when miwako said that although everyone thought he was dead but she always was thinking of him. but now seeing that he is so happy here and have someone who loves him even though that he can't remember her, she is happy for him. those scenes were so emotional for me too.

regarding James, ma, i guess i am biased as i am real miwako x yuu supporter. can't help it.
and for some moments i thought that ruriko is izumi's daughter and not suzu's (still not 100% sure if she is) because Taro suggested the name. now feel abit wired to know she named her a name that Taro wanted for a baby girl.
and yes, this is the second time that tomoya act as a father . in otouto he was too young to have three sons but now its very natural in this role. sakura is 10 years old (the samer age as yonng suzu (really hope that they don't use the same actress as his daughter) . i love to see how he portrait the father character. i love to see him more and more in family man and romantic roles.

Annj

Post by Annj » Dec 15th, '07, 06:24

Utahime Easter Egg: (Episode 6)
In the jazz room "Utahime" there is a raccoon statue with a hat in the cupboard. It is the same raccoon statue in Kisarazu Cat's Eye in the episode where Asada senseii used it as a bomb. The two shows are connected by that Crossiant is Master in Kisarazu.

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Dec 16th, '07, 16:28

the movie is going good but James irritates me ! what did he eat ? me personally think James is the worst actor in this movie like he always does in other movies he starred (also my personal thinking) he ruins my good mood :glare:

just finished ep 8
it freaks me out ! Suzu is such a spiderwoman ! she traps Taro in order to kiss him after hearing Taro says to him, Miwako is a total stranger. what a scarrrry strategy !

Silainne

Post by Silainne » Dec 18th, '07, 12:34

Thoughts after watching ep 9:
Could it be that James likes Suzu and that's his reason for supporting her?

Thinking about the relationship of Taro and Miwako before the war: it seems that it was an arranged marriage. We heard Miwako saying, that she loved Taro (Yuu) so much but maybe Taro never really loved her? I still hope it will be Taro Suzu. :roll

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Dec 18th, '07, 16:52

My thoughts after watching episode 9:
I don't think Suzu is a spiderwoman. I just think she's still very immature about love, and she might just be about to realize that. She's still thinking about her feelings for Taro the way she did when she was 10 years old.

So far Suzu has just been thinking about herself. What if Taro leaves her? What if Taro forgets her? Would he choose some girlfriend over her? While she seems to feel bad for Miwako sometimes, she's never found the courage to face her head on. Rather than realizing that Miwako's bond with him as a wife could logically involve ties such as children, Suzu's been mentally relegating Miwako to the role of an old girlfriend who is just there to take Taro away--never really considering what kind of bonds Taro might already have with someone else. Or what that could mean to Taro's hapiness.

By contrast Miwako isn't just thinking about herself. She loves Yuu and obviously wants him with her, but she's also worried about his happiness and how it would hurt him to pull him from his new life. She's trying to do the best by her daughter, and she doesn't just want Yuu to follow her from a sense of obligation. When she learned of Suzu's feelings, Miwako did make a move to confront the situation head on by trying to talk to Suzu. Now she's willing to back away for Taro to be happy in Tosa Shimizu with his new family, friends, and Suzu. That's amazingly strong, especially when you think of how many times she must have cried for Yuu over the past ten years or wished he was there to share in some special moment as a family.

So, I don't want to see Suzu end up with Taro, despite still loving both characters. I think Suzu's journey is one into adulthood where she's going to need to learn to sacrifice being with Taro for him to be happy. She needs to progress from her selfish and immature form of love before she can really have a relationship with anyone, and this is the event that I think will cause her to finally reach that level.

I also think Taro does have feelings for Miwako that are most definitely not like those towards a stranger. There's just something about they way he's held back from Suzu for so long... the way you see him look at that happy family in the flashback... and it makes me think that Miwako is still very much in his heart. His expression when she said goodbye and walked away from him was very hurt and says that he doesn't really want her to go.

When Miwako tells the story about how Taro and she actually fell in love upon her staying with his family, I believe her. I don't think they were just an arranged marriage. Maybe, that's why she wouldn't settle for having him only out of a feeling of obligation towards their daughter now. She's felt real love with him, and something less just isn't enough for either of them.

James seems like he might have some feeling for Suzu with his insistence on her happiness all the time. But I think he needs to do the most growing up of all. Well, Matsu even more... but it looks like Matsu's about to hit an epiphany, so I'm cutting him some slack.

Silainne

Post by Silainne » Dec 18th, '07, 17:48

@ryoko11 Hee, i really like your point of view. Made me consider Suzu's behaviour/feelings once more. :-)
I agree with you that her feelings for Taro might be more like a childish love than a mature one. Although I'm rooting for Taro and Suzu I begin to ask myself what kind of relationship could become of this 'cause they are so much like siblings. Considering Suzus way of loving Taro you might be pretty right, that she has to mature first.

But i disagree concerning the point that Suzus only thinks of herself. Taro lived 10 years as a family member with them and I think the hole family would be really sad if Taro would leave. I guess Suzu sees not only her situation but also her family's situation. (the scene in the cinema with her big sister!?) Furthermore she told Miwako that she should talk to Taro as much as necessary in order to make him regain memory. Only after this Miwako realizes that Suzu really cares for Taro. If Suzu would just think of herself she wouldn't have said this to Miwako and i consider this behavior not as the one of a childish person.

Last but not least: I can understand the feelings of those rooting for Miwako, because loosing her husband in war and raising her child alone = it's really awfully sad and painful. Surely she deserves happiness.

But leaving the love triangle aside: does anyone think that Taro would be happy leading the life of a politician? I guess he really likes to live in Tosa Shimizu, likes his friends and movies and the simple but peace full life. Remembering his past also means remembering the war, doesn't it? Remembering the death and killing of people and being traumatized.
Even if he truly belong to his child and wife could he become happy leaving in Tokyo with this memory? (Leaving the aspect that he's responsible as a father for his child aside...)

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Dec 18th, '07, 19:36

i think we here have difference in ideology thats why some root for Miwako and the rest for Suzu.
but is it natural for Taro returns to Miwako, his legal wife, the one with whom he once fell in love. i'm certain that he'd do the same in the present time since Miwako merits his love. It's hard for me to understand why they say the present life is more precious and everyone encourage Suzu and Taro to convey their love to each other despite the fact that Taro HAS to return to his real life, the real him Yu. i understand the philosophy of "being reborn" implicated in the letter of that onna-otoko but the past life of Taro is something precious that he should never leave behind, i mean it's not the same case with the rotten life of that onna-otoko.

anyway we'll have the response very soon.
and James is sooo annoying. i know what is he missing, that's corporal language. his 2 hands are really good for nothing and he reminds me of a stupid penguin who yells at Miwako just because he wants Taro by his side to teach him how to change film. this guy is really an encumbrance

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Dec 18th, '07, 19:49

@ Silainne I love your points of view too.
Yes, Suzu thinks of her family's feelings for having Taro around, but it's still about the fear of how losing Taro will affect their lives. Her family is an extension of herself in that sense. She's never shown signs of being genuinely happy for Taro, if he were to finally have his questions about the past answered. She's not showing the signs of being able to be happy for him, if he were to find happiness elsewhere.

She encourages Miwako to talk to Taro, but does she mean it? Miwako waited for night after night to talk to him in Merry's bar. Suzu knew she was there. The whole town knew. How can Miwako talk to Taro if he won't meet with her? Suzu knew it in her heart that Miwako was the real deal from the first time Suzu saw her tears at seeing Taro, and that's why Suzu was living in fear of her return. Suzu even despite ascertaining that Miwako is the real deal with the music information still didn't encourage Taro to face his past that night outside the bar. If he was willing to run away from the past, Suzu had no problem with him doing so because she feared how it would change her life too.

All Suzu really did in that scene when Miwako confronted her was not hinder Miwako on her attempt to talk with Taro at the theater, but the next day Suzu actually made the move to kiss Taro before she could lose him the way she thought the necklace had been lost. When she learned that Taro had finally gone to the bar to talk, Suzu rushed straight to the doctor consumed with her fears that Taro would forget her.

I guess, I consider her childish because I don't see her actions as matching the words she spoke to Miwako yet.

While it had been Yuu's dream to be a politician, Miwako never tries to force him to follow that dream upon meeting him again. She knows he's no longer interested in politics, and that's probably part of her decision to step away from him after Oyabun tells her that he wants to make Taro a politician. Lots of people return from war with new dreams and goals anyhow, so Miwako would probably encourage him in anything that made him happy. She's doing that already.

Fearing learning about the war is definitely one of the reasons why Taro fights so hard against even talking to Miwako for so long. He's afraid to learn he's killed. He's afraid that there will be traumas and horrors. He's afraid he'll become someone else or be expected to be someone else. He's afraid he'll lose the friends and life he's known for 10 years now. But can he really be happy running away from the truth either?

Can he be happy living in Tosa Shimizu and trying to shut out his past? Would his heart really belong to Suzu, and could Suzu live hiding what she knows about his child from him. It's a wall between them already. So to start a relationship now between Taro and Suzu, it would have a giant lie buried right in the foundation.

No choice in life is ever perfect, and living with the consequences will be a part of either path. I think part of what I love in this drama is how I love the people on both sides of the situation. I can understand people rooting for Taro X Suzu too. The people of Tosa Shimizu are wonderful, and it's become this charming place that you look forward to seeing during each episode. Suzu and her family are sweet, kind, and loving. Taro is someone you can sympathize with and cheer for. Miwako is strong, selfless, and full of love. Matsu is determined enough to do anything for Suzu. There's just nobody that I don't want to see happy in this drama.
Episode 10 was fabulous!
I think that was quite a meaningful reflex for a broken old watch he'd been planning to throw away only moments before. :wub: :wub: :wub:

strawberrynkiwi

Post by strawberrynkiwi » Dec 19th, '07, 17:57

omg i thought episode 9 was a shock.
i can't believed what happened in episode 10.
man i love this drama.
i wonder how it will end....

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Dec 20th, '07, 02:25

The future for Taro has been set once you realize, from episode 1, his grandson is name Akira.

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Dec 21st, '07, 13:54

just saw the last episode...wonder if anyone has seen it?
so, did you like the ending?
(not a real spoiler, just a question....

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Dec 21st, '07, 14:26

:0 Don't tell me it's going to be a sad ending...

I can't wait!

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Dec 21st, '07, 14:32

Uhm, I cried the whole episode....

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » Dec 21st, '07, 14:48

ASDGLKSAJ gonna get myself ready with a box of tissues tonight ;__;

ぐっときたぜよ

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Dec 21st, '07, 15:15

hadmish wrote:just saw the last episode...wonder if anyone has seen it?
so, did you like the ending?
(not a real spoiler, just a question....
Hadmish,
I have to say I like the outcome of the story though I would prefer to have the last episode be given more time. As much as I think Suzu is cute, Taro's place is ethically with Miwako because they are still legally married and not divorced yet, plus they have a child even if sakura thinks her father is dead....
BTW, it is in this Finale that we will know the importance and meaning of "Utahime".

Some people in the OHP's bbs already asked for an SP :D

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Dec 21st, '07, 15:27

Siantut, thanks for the comment...finally I can talk (well, write) to someone with about this!
I totally agree about the time. I think it was wrapped way too quickly, and only kinda half told us what went on...Id like to have seen more of what happened after he left. but it was done well, the acting impressed me!

thinking logically, yes, his place might be with Miwako, and she's really a good person. But, although we don't know, Id imagine he missed Suzu his whole life.
Personally, I dont believe in a couple getting back together for the sake of their kids, either...so.....
but all in all, it ended sort of the way I expected, and it wasn't a bad ending. dunno about the last part of Akira and Ruriko...redundant?
still one of my top fav dramas this season, no other made me cry. wonder why it wasn't very successful (rating-wise). loved the song too....

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Dec 21st, '07, 16:03

hadmish wrote:Siantut, thanks for the comment...finally I can talk (well, write) to someone with about this!
I totally agree about the time. I think it was wrapped way too quickly, and only kinda half told us what went on...Id like to have seen more of what happened after he left. but it was done well, the acting impressed me!

thinking logically, yes, his place might be with Miwako, and she's really a good person. But, although we don't know, Id imagine he missed Suzu his whole life.
Personally, I dont believe in a couple getting back together for the sake of their kids, either...so.....
but all in all, it ended sort of the way I expected, and it wasn't a bad ending. dunno about the last part of Akira and Ruriko...redundant?
still one of my top fav dramas this season, no other made me cry. wonder why it wasn't very successful (rating-wise). loved the song too....
Nice to chat with you, Hadmish! Thank you for your reply too, and your message on the Utahime subtitle thread.
I agree with you that couple staying together for the kid might not have made the right choice. I just meant that Taro must have thought which of the "lesser evils" he could live with: live pining for Suzu, or live "pining" for Sakura (and perhaps Miwako too). I think he must have thought that he could live without Suzu but couldn't live with the guilty conscience of not going back home to be the father he knew he was now. Taro seems to love kids very much, that is why his own kid is that important to him. I also think that now he got his memory back, he re-discovered his love for Miwako; in any case I feel that his love for Miwako is still there, judged from the way he kept clutching to the pocket watch even when he was almost drowning in the sea. BTW, I really admire Miwako. Her last words to Oyabun was impressive. She is indeed a very courageous woman :salut: . As to Suzu, she needs to grow more to be a real adult.
Yes I agree with you, the acting, especially Tomoya's, was superb!

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Dec 21st, '07, 16:25

Hey! Im enjoying this chat too...and seriously, Im so grateful for your subs, coz at first when I watched the first ep on TV I was soooo overwhelmed (and perhaps a bit tired) and didnt get most of it, and nearly gave up- so when I saw you put the subs up so quickly I started watching again and understood it all. so...thanks to you I got so involved in this lovely story
I agree that Miwako is a great woman. she's been amazing from the very beginning and I think I most sympathized with her, coz she does all the right things despite the fact that it could hurt her (or her daughter). I also realised that koike eiko is quite a good actress, Im liking her more and more.
As for Suzu, I think the only bad writing in this series is the back flashes to her childhood. I kinda tried to ignore them coz I didnt think they conveyed what they meant- a strong bond between them, instead like many have felt, it made people dislike Suzu. also it was kinda inconsistent, coz if she had being saying all along to Taro that they'll get married, then how come she was 'surprised' to realise she loved him, and that he 'didnt' know etc...but I guess those are the little things. but given the fact that she was 20, its kinda obvious she'd need to grow up.
generally, I guess I agree. Taro made the right choice. I wish they had shown us a bit more of his love to Miwako...I wouldnt wonder....
PS- loved Nagase's acting, you really felt he was a diff person, with the proper Japanese and stuff. he rocks!!! (tho mind you on MS super live tonight his hairdo wasnt...humm....the best).
you live in Japan right? (Im guessing coz you've seen it)
thats was long sorry.....I want to talk to someone about this....my friends werent watching it (idiots)....

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Dec 21st, '07, 16:52

hadmish wrote:Hey! Im enjoying this chat too...and seriously, Im so grateful for your subs, coz at first when I watched the first ep on TV I was soooo overwhelmed (and perhaps a bit tired) and didnt get most of it, and nearly gave up- so when I saw you put the subs up so quickly I started watching again and understood it all. so...thanks to you I got so involved in this lovely story
I agree that Miwako is a great woman. she's been amazing from the very beginning and I think I most sympathized with her, coz she does all the right things despite the fact that it could hurt her (or her daughter). I also realised that koike eiko is quite a good actress, Im liking her more and more.
As for Suzu, I think the only bad writing in this series is the back flashes to her childhood. I kinda tried to ignore them coz I didnt think they conveyed what they meant- a strong bond between them, instead like many have felt, it made people dislike Suzu. also it was kinda inconsistent, coz if she had being saying all along to Taro that they'll get married, then how come she was 'surprised' to realise she loved him, and that he 'didnt' know etc...but I guess those are the little things. but given the fact that she was 20, its kinda obvious she'd need to grow up.
generally, I guess I agree. Taro made the right choice. I wish they had shown us a bit more of his love to Miwako...I wouldnt wonder....
PS- loved Nagase's acting, you really felt he was a diff person, with the proper Japanese and stuff. he rocks!!! (tho mind you on MS super live tonight his hairdo wasnt...humm....the best).
you live in Japan right? (Im guessing coz you've seen it)
thats was long sorry.....I want to talk to someone about this....my friends werent watching it (idiots)....
You are most welcome, Hadmish, I am glad you find them useful.
When the dorama was at its early episodes, I liked Suzu a lot because she is cute, and I kinda disliked Miwako because I thought she was the obstacle between Taro and Suzu. However, as the dorama progressed, I began to feel that Suzu was kinda selfish and immature, while Miwako was almost selfless, so then I began to dislike Suzu and like Miwako a lot. I feel that Miwako is the one deserving to have Taro, she is a woman of quality. I noticed how nice she was when she was going to pay Suzu, a total stranger she had just met, for the fake necklace Miwako was not even responsible for. She might be rich so she could afford to give the money, but still, not every person would do such a thing, even if she is vaguely related to Croissant who cheated Taro of the fake necklace.

And in the final episode, Suzu also said to Miwako: "You are a person I admire."

Yeah, that small Suzu scenes were redundant, it only made Suzu sound selfish. James is also annoying.
My favorite persons beside Taro:

1. Sabako (she is very wise, though her wisdom is concealed in her "crazyness", she also seems to know what Taro was doing when she said good-bye to him). She is like the wise clowns in Shakespearean plays.
2. Hamako (so kind, so understanding. For her, what is important is Taro's happiness, even if her own daughter will lose him)
3. cannot think of others matching the two above. I think Izumi is biased. Merry is very nice, but still she can't match Sabako and Hamako, IMHO. Maybe Rossia came 3rd for me. LOL....Rossia is so nice, and his foreign accent is very funny too. Butanai de yo, buttara buta ni yoku niru no yo! :lol
Yes I am in Japan :-)

It is almost 2 AM here, so I might sleep soon.
Oyasuminasai, Hadmish, really so nice talking to you. Arigatou.

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Dec 21st, '07, 17:21

just wrote a reply but the spoiler buttons got messed up so deleted it....here we go again (shorter version)
the more I think about it the happier I am with the ending (I was ok with it but you helped me realise its better than ok).
Yeah Miwako is selfless. atleast we can rest assured that Taro chose to be with the perfect woman, right?
and yup, Sabako and Hamako are great. I liked them, and I had the feeling Sabako knew too! and James is annoying. but all in all a good blend of characters.
thanks again, I really enjoyed our chat! Its nearly 2:30 so we should go to sleep....too cold to be up!

oh and my name's Mish. I think I shouldve just chosen that when I signed up, but didnt....seeing hadmish is so strange sounds a bit....wrong!haha!

gambate with the subs
try not to cry while doing it

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Dec 22nd, '07, 13:42

Nice to meet you, Mish! :)
Yeah, I will try not to cry....thanks
BTW, I watched Music Station special too, but I missed it when TOKIO sang the medley! Grrrrr....Around what time did they sing? I left my TV for about 30 min around 8 PM, then when Utahime started, I was forced to juggle back and forth between Music Station and Utahime :(

Interesting that Tomoya and Ayu were there, and so were Taichi and his ex-girlfriend Aiko...I hope they are all still in good terms with each other.

Are you in Kanto area?

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Dec 22nd, '07, 14:55

Hey!
Yeah I was zapping a bit too, but after 10 mins I was too into Utahime and stayed with that.
TOKIO performed around 8:20 or so, coz its just when I got home! Im dling it from Jpopsuki coz Id like to see the parts I didnt get to see....

Haha! I was wondering about Ayu, Aiko and the boys too! but I guess the same was in Best Artist, right? same will be in Kohaku too.....so Im guessing (hoping?) they're still in good terms!

I live in the cold Hokuriku area, Kanazawa to be precise. Im a Phd student. you?

ok this has turned into a private conversation - or a TOKIO one....oops.....sorry guys!
anyways, seems no one else has watched the last episode.....no other comments....

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Dec 22nd, '07, 16:30

Well, I think some people must have seen the Finale already. One person gave a comment in my forum.
Perhaps seeing me commenting on it here, they are enryo shite iru....That's why usually I don't give much comment on the doramas I am subbing :P

Oh you are at the other side of the island from where I am. I'm not a student anymore but already work, and I live in Tokyo.

Thanks for the info about TOKIO in MS Special! So they sang when I was having dinner! I should have been pushy and zap to channel 10 at dinner!

OK, let's stop our private and/or TOKIO talk..... gomen minna-san. You're welcome to my shoutbox though, so I hope to see you there someday to chat about a dorama which has just been aired but not uploaded in D-A yet :)

kokitty

Post by kokitty » Dec 22nd, '07, 16:50

hadmish wrote: anyways, seems no one else has watched the last episode.....no other comments....
As a whole i'm pretty much neutral about Utahime, it had aspects which i loved (Nagase, nice story, good characterization, good production values) and also hated (very poor planning of pacing, too much of the ending revealed in the first 6 epis, James lol).

Found the last epi satisfactory. The ending didn't offer any major surprises but concluded the story nicely. Found it a very nice touch on the part of the scriptwriter that
Yuuichi remembered his life as Taro, made a choice to go back to his wife. He probably pretended to have lost any recollection of Taro so that it would be easier for Suzu to let go of him and get on with her life.
Personally i don't think Yuuichi's decision was entirely
cos of his child. His bond with Miwako was just as strong as his with Suzu. Suzu was in love with Taro but with the gaining of his memories, Yuuichi was no longer Taro. While Miwako will still love a man who is part Taro part Yuuichi, i think Suzu will have a more difficult time adapting to this new man.
Was very impressed with Nagase's acting in the last episode. Taro, Yuuichi, Akira... he gave us 3 men with 3 contrasting aura. I loved how his eyes revealed the difference bet the 3... Taro (during the flashbacks), more wide-eyed and simple. Yuuichi, very thoughtful and and determined eyes. Akira (later stage), earnest and hopeful eyes.

The scene with James
with Yuuichi in tears and explaining his decision
was probably his best piece of acting in this drama. Makes one really sad that few people are watching Utahime and as usual most people would think that he just excels in those exaggerated comedic roles since those are the dramas they happen to watch.

Well, least Nagase's next project has already been decided. Judging from the storyline, he'll get another shot at showing audiences his acting range.

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Dec 22nd, '07, 17:23

kokitty,
totally agree about Nagase's acting! he's revealing his skills more and more!

Siantut,
I'll give you a shout soon 'nuff....

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Dec 22nd, '07, 18:31

yappari, lol

My last post in this thread. THANKS for reading and THANKS for downloading my subs! :lol

fleng

Post by fleng » Dec 26th, '07, 04:04

The best dorama of this season by far!
the ending was awesome, Akira meets Ruriko, Ruriko is Suzu's grand daughter?? A fitting ending for a great Dorama, although I think Taro (Yui-san) might have come back to visit often due to his daughter still in remembrance of that old theatre.. so maybe it was a happy ending for everyone.

strawberrynkiwi

Post by strawberrynkiwi » Dec 26th, '07, 19:59

I looooooooooved the ending.
This is definitely the best drama of the season, out of the ones I watched. lol
I think Tomoya Nagase's acting is great. Before most of his roles are comical and exaggerated, but this is definitely believable and lovable.
I cried so much when he cried. I love his crying. RurikoXAkira =)

saki-chan

Post by saki-chan » Dec 28th, '07, 03:44

Annj wrote:Utahime Easter Egg: (Episode 6)
In the jazz room "Utahime" there is a raccoon statue with a hat in the cupboard. It is the same raccoon statue in Kisarazu Cat's Eye in the episode where Asada senseii used it as a bomb. The two shows are connected by that Crossiant is Master in Kisarazu.
That's awesome. i laughed so hard after seeing "Master" as the yakuza! i love the way Nagase and Sato Ryuta (The guy who plays Crossiant, Master and also Masa from IWGP) work together!!

by the way, i love your signature. what's it from?

dirujjj

Post by dirujjj » Dec 31st, '07, 23:03

http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-2334
Nagase, Aibu dating?

Aww they make a cute couple ^^

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Jan 9th, '08, 08:09

Ending spoiler
I just finished watching this and I have to agree with most of what was said previously. I'm glad that Taro went with the choice that he did and I'm glad he made it when he remembered both the past and the present. I liked how they made it so that he would speak to Suzu first after Miwako left and it really made it seem like he did lose his memory. His voice had changed a bit, his posture, etc etc. He really was like a different person. That's why it was surprising when he spoke to James and revealed that he did remember everything.

Anyway, I'll just re-emphasize the fact that I liked the ending lol. I had thought less of Suzu and their entire community in the way that reacted towards Miwako appearing (as I'm sure would be the natural way people would react to something like that), but when Suzu heard about the fact that Taro had a child with Miwako and didn't tell him .. I found that part upsetting. Well, it's cute that she ends up with Croissant and they have a child who will probably end up with Akira.

fleng

Post by fleng » Jan 10th, '08, 02:49

dirujjj wrote:http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-2334
Nagase, Aibu dating?

Aww they make a cute couple ^^
That'd be cool :D.

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Jan 29th, '08, 15:19

ack. i'm a month late..

but still ain't too late for my thoughts on the dorama..?

i watched this dorama without speculating much.. of how things will turn out to be. that's why when episode 11 was showing the scenes with Akira.. i still thought for a bit on whose son/doaughter is who and all that. LOL.. well, that's just me..

a very special mention to Aibu Saki.. who has proved my earlier speculations wrong. forget Attention Please.. she was lovely here.
her simple quirks and facial expressions are cho kawaii.

also, i loved how the awkwardness showed between the two of them, as both were confused on how to handle the sudden transition of their relationship from sibling-like to lovers.

from the very start of miwako's appearance.. i admired her already. 10 years is a long time. altho, i finished the dorama in one day.. i keep on reminding myself that Taro lived with the Kishidas for TEN years.

i do agree on what some ppl said that, tho. Yuu-san is too perfect a guy to let go. but after receiving a notice of his death.. and after 10 years, still.. *lost for words*
and the bittersweet feeling of seeing him again, but with him not recognizing her. ouch!

as much as i'd like to admire her, tho.. i still was rooting for Taro and Suzu.. things were going well with them.. what with the plans of Taro of asking Suzu's hand in marriage. it took me a while to accept that Miwako still feels VERY strongly towards Yuu. it suddenly hit me, when, Oyabun mentioned Sakura.

all she could've done was show Sakura to him, and he would most probably go back to Tokyo with her. bcoz no matter how much a difference there is between Taro and Yuu, they are still both men with a very strong sense of justice, and responsibility. but she did NOT. suddenly, i see her sacrifice.. and total love and devotion.. i mean, Taro is a changed man, for goodness sakes.. not the sassy and suave and perfect Yuu.. but still.. she can't.. didn't let go, did she?

as for Suzu.. well.. she's 20.. and she's still just starting to become mature, IMO. but at least she never doubted that she loved Taro. LOL

Sabako.. LOL.. she is crack! towards the last few eps.. i finally found out why she is there.. and why her eccentricity.. she's actually a very intelligent woman.. and she lived the longest. LOL

at the last ep.. when Yuu was bidding Suzu farewell.. with his straight face.. (the perfect guy!) the polite accent, cleanly shaved face and all.. my heart was crying for Suzu. but then, when Suzu left, and Yuu's face was shown close-up.. close to tears.. i was like.. *c-chotto.. why the emotion?*
so i was half-surprised when i saw Taro again, talking to James.
and that scene.. is the MOST emotional scene in the whole dorama, IMO.
seeing Yuu cry like that.. perhaps over regret that she wasn't always there for her daughter.. over the hurt of leaving Orion Stars.. over the best solution he came up with that would still hurt ppl.
his tears were... i've said it tons of times.. but Nagase Tomoya.. you never fail to impress me.. when i thought i've seen the best you can offer.. you prove me wrong and show me something better. at that moment.. he was not only Taro.. but also Yuu..

Matsu~ dearest Matsu. he was too annoying that i just have to love him. i love the chemistry between Sato and Nagase.. comical this guy maybe.. but his dedication to Suzu is... *sigh* i think in the end, he deserves Suzu.. he has proven it.

as for James..? i found his character in the beginning.. amusingly pathetic.. LOL.. it's cute how sabako enslaves him. i gotta admit that he was too forceful at times when it comes to SuzuXTaro.. yess, he admires Taro.. but to actually bad-mouth Miwako? too much. i hope Tacchon will improve his acting more.

i agree with a lot of you, tho.. i wished for more screen time for Akira.. i loved how he moves around rather.. hesitantly.. always unsure of himself. and his cute meeting with Ruriko.
and flashbacks of how Yuu was!!!! ack. i was so hoping for that.

the ending was nicely wrapped. it's been a while since i felt really satisfied with the ending (not since NwP.) (just more screentime.. srsly)

damn. that was pretty lengthy.. some of it were non-spoiling comments.. but i didn't know how to separate them exactly, so i leave it at that. i apologize if my thoughts weren't as organized as i wish them to be. i tend to jump from one thing to another, i know.

btw, just a sorta noob question. ratings never did affect my choice to watch/ like or dislike a dorama.. but ratings are important to me, in a sense like this..:
if there were/are/will be plans for an SP.. would the production team still consider it? or would they rather not bcoz of below average ratings?

i want an SP.

41nano

Post by 41nano » Jan 30th, '08, 22:49

Hard to know but with such poor ratings it is very unlikely to see a SP, after all, japanese dorama are all mae to earn money and ratings are the most important thing to producers...

As a big fan of IWGP and My Boss My Hero, i'm wondering whether to watch this drama.

saki-chan

Post by saki-chan » Jan 30th, '08, 22:56

41nano wrote:Hard to know but with such poor ratings it is very unlikely to see a SP, after all, japanese dorama are all mae to earn money and ratings are the most important thing to producers...

As a big fan of IWGP and My Boss My Hero, i'm wondering whether to watch this drama.
yes, definitely watch this drama. it's one of the best Nagase dramas i've seen. it's a bit more serious than IWGP or MBMH, but it is still totally hilarious and amazing. once you watch it, you'll understand why we're hoping against hope for an sp.

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Feb 1st, '08, 18:02

@ 41nano
i couldn't agree more with saki-chan, something in Utahime is just so special.. as long as my rant was about how i felt about Utahime, i couldn't really pinpoint what it really is. Nagase at his best. well, some may think that i'm biased bcoz i'm obviously a big Nagase fan.. but comparing it to his other works.. this is one of those that stick out. add to that the good storyline, and other awesome actors in this dorama. someone previously joked about how Utahime for her will still be a MUST-watch even if Nagase weren't in it. LOLz (am i convincing enough? j/k) srsly, i think the plot was really laid out well.

well, yeah, that's what i thought about hopes for an SP.. even if, personally, ratings aren't much of importance.. producers do care about them, eh? *sigh* but then again, who knows..? (Kurosagi's ratings aren't all that wow.. but it's being turned into a movie.. so maybe.. just maybe..)

41nano

Post by 41nano » Feb 1st, '08, 18:24

morai_naki wrote:@ 41nano
producers do care about them, eh? *sigh* but then again, who knows..? (Kurosagi's ratings aren't all that wow.. but it's being turned into a movie.. so maybe.. just maybe..)
Well producers do care about money because making drama cost quite a lot of money...
It's a very mercantile market :mrgreen:

And well Kurosagi made like 15% viewership ratings which is pretty good (and is based on a hit manga) while utahime made only 8%, you can't really compare these two.

Anyway I donwloaded the first episode, will watch it when i have the time

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Feb 2nd, '08, 02:15

@ 41nano
i guess so..

well, enjoy watching~

Arantius

Post by Arantius » Feb 3rd, '08, 09:39

Anyone can tell me what's the name of that robe that Suzu's wearing?
http://www.tbs.co.jp/uta-hime/gallery/g10_09.html

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Feb 3rd, '08, 11:40

I quite enjoyed this dorama. It was cute, sweet and funny at times.

I loved that "Nande Yanen" (Taro and Suzu taro-taro rin-rin-rin) lol it was cute

Also the dialect they were talking in was very endearing as well it sounded perhaps better then formal Japanese

Anywho my thoughts:
I was also rooting for Miwako (Although it was going to be obvious that Taro would end up with her since the very first scene when we saw his grandson Akira :roll ). I didn't like how they the townspeople reacted to her (throwing a party after she left WTF) but its understandable and Suzu to not tell Taro of his child hmmm well since Miwako never told him then I didn't think Suzu had any obligation too, although we could see she was clearly torn whether to tell him or not.

James kinda got on my nerves :x .....but the Croissant :lol too bad Sato Ryuta and Nagase never had more screen time together.....dye Croissant's hair Blonde and call them Masa and Makoto

Suzu, the actress who played her did a good job. She was very cute :wub: ....and Nagase cannot fault the guy. I was moved by the last episode when he told James of his predicament :cry: I'm glad that he made his decision with both his memories intact (I don't know anything about amnesia but seriously I wouldn't have thought that he would forget his present memory when his old one returned. That would just seem odd if he did because I cannot see how his old memories would displace his new memories that just doesn't make any sense to me :blink Its not a conclusion I would have come to)

I also perhaps wanted to see more Akira screen time :lol He was funny...but :-) all is well that ends well seems like Suzu's granddaugther and Taro's grandson will fulfil what their grandparents could not :-) (Both having a total disregard for the precious gifts that their grandparents recieved...typical kids nowadays :roll )

Although I was thinking couldn't Taro just tell the truth to his wife that he didn't love her any more. I don't think she would have stopped him from seeing his daugther and then he could have lived happily with Suzu and still got to see his daugther....Seriously Miwako's character would have allowed that. Perhaps thats just me

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Feb 3rd, '08, 12:19

@ sahansah
about your last paragraph.. i also think that Miwako is capable of that kind of sacrifice.. but in Taro's part.. what kind of father would that make him? ok, it wasn't his fault that he was lost at war, and got amnesia.. but now that he has gotten his memory back, he still would abandon his daughter? altho, on a side note, i don't think Taro doesn't love Miwako anymore.. i think he pretty much still does, bcoz he did recover his memories didn't he? so he must've remembered how he felt about his wife, too.. talk about loving two women, purely.. LOL

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Feb 3rd, '08, 12:45

morai_naki
I wasn't saying that Taro should abandon his daugther but he could have moved with Suzu to Tokyo and still be around his daughter as a good father. At the end when he said he would love and live for his dauther that indicated to me that he didn't feel strongly about Miwako. I think that perhaps he felt more love for Suzu then for Miwako and he was basically sacrificing his love for Saru for his daugther alone. Although I am not saying that he didn't love Miwako maybe he still had some lingering feelings for her but memories only make part of what love really is. I also got the feeling that Taro and Miwako never gave birth to any other children....thats my conjecture from what I have seen. LOL He could have just lived with both...Nothing wrong with a harem of girls :P

hey9

Post by hey9 » Feb 4th, '08, 23:28

This is my new favorite drama, just amazing. Tomoya Nagase is not just another pretty face, and I love the theme song.
I loved the ending. While I like Suzu, if she ended up with Taro I probably wouldn't have been happy. I think that's what made this such a great series, you empathise with everybody - Taro, Suzu, Croissant, Miwako. Since Miwako first showed up, I kept thinking that if the story was told from her POV, it would seem like an epic love story and that Suzu would be the one that was interfering.

I like how Suzu and Taro were "reborn" as their grandkids though, like that thing Miwako was saying about how if you really love someone and keep on loving them you'll meet again.

To be honest, the person I was rooting the most for was Croissant lol. I hope I see more of Sato Ryuta.
Why were the ratings for this show so bad? It was such an awesome show!

Issy

Post by Issy » Feb 5th, '08, 00:31

@morai and sahansah, very intersting conversions about Taro/Yuu love for suzu and miwako
ok, i think i have said before that from very first i was a miwako fan and wanted taro to end up with her. why? because i just could not see enough reasons in why taro must end up with suzu. but then again, some times loving someone does not have to be on reasons base. the heart wants what it wants and this what all matters.

you can say that taro did not love miwako and loved suzu but there is no denying that Yuu-san loved miwako very much and they were soulmates. the person at the end of drama is both taro and yuu so he does/should have feeling for both.
to me he did not made this choices on the basis of his love for those two because he just can't chose one of them. so he decided to only live for love of his daughter that needed him the most that also meant he is going back to miwako

even though when taro could not remember miwako, he still hold on to her present and never let go of her watch during the whole time that he was missing. this meant the unconciously he still loved miwako. even after he made sure of his love to suzu, he still could not let go of that watch. what does this mean to you?

but i was left with some confusion by end of drama as which one was the greatest love? by watching the whole drama i get to know that greatest love is the love of parents to their children no matter how much you love your other half.

but i was still confused in much love to your other half is the greatest? your new love or your old love? lived equal amount of times with both women and was even married to one so i guess one relationship was much more deeper than other. so can it all be gone by a new love from much younger love that it does not give you enough reasons for them to be together excep that they look cute next to eachother?

does all those sacrifices means nothing? so why you bother to love someone and sacrifice everything for sake of his happens when at the end it's even not going to be appreciated and by end she gets her husband back when he really does not love her but he is just there for sake of his daughter and his hear really is with someone else? does that means the same for suzu that she marries someone with no love just because he is the second best thing after taro and she really does not love him?

ending was perfect for me but those confusion are still there. i am trying to ignore that line that says if you love someone so much and keep on loving them one day you get to be with them because basically will start all those questions for me again. :lol

FoGY

Post by FoGY » Feb 9th, '08, 17:06

f1uph

Post by f1uph » Feb 9th, '08, 18:17

very much enjoyed, but i felt depressed for some reason after it was all said and done
call me hopeless..but are there others along with me who also wanted to see suzu and taro together in the end!??! i couldn't stop thinking of all those promises he made, then crushed all at once in that scene where suzu is running after the bus...

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Feb 10th, '08, 04:33

f1uph wrote:very much enjoyed, but i felt depressed for some reason after it was all said and done
call me hopeless..but are there others along with me who also wanted to see suzu and taro together in the end!??! i couldn't stop thinking of all those promises he made, then crushed all at once in that scene where suzu is running after the bus...
i guess there are also fans who wanted Suzu and Taro to end up together. i wanted things to turn out that way, too.. at some point. well, this is just me.. but i think Taro made the best decision. adding his daughter to the mix really changes things. and i don't think Suzu will be ultimately happy either, given the chance that they end up together.. as far as her personality is shown in the series, i think she'll forever think of herself as someone who destroyed someone else' family. it wasn't Suzu's fault that Yuu lost his memory and "abandoned" his wife and daughter.. but when his memory returned and Taro still stayed with Suzu.. i think Suzu will forever feel guilty. but that's just me.

well they did end up together.. (their grandchildren that is. LOL)

dramatiqu3

Post by dramatiqu3 » Jul 23rd, '08, 06:33

hey9 wrote:Why were the ratings for this show so bad? It was such an awesome show!
I guess it shows that high ratings don't always necessarily make it a great drama (take a look at Gokusen 2/3's ratings :lol ) I guess it depends alot on the popularity of the actors/actresses, whether its based on a novel/manga and probably the way it's been advertised is a factor as well. Or maybe Utahime just isn't everyone's thing. There aren't alot of jdramas set in rural Japan during the 1960's lol.

Anyways, everybody's opinions on the ending was really interesting to read. :-) Makes me feel like watching this again.

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Jul 23rd, '08, 15:36

dramatiqu3 wrote:
hey9 wrote:Why were the ratings for this show so bad? It was such an awesome show!
I guess it shows that high ratings don't always necessarily make it a great drama (take a look at Gokusen 2/3's ratings :lol ) I guess it depends alot on the popularity of the actors/actresses, whether its based on a novel/manga and probably the way it's been advertised is a factor as well. Or maybe Utahime just isn't everyone's thing. There aren't alot of jdramas set in rural Japan during the 1960's lol.

Anyways, everybody's opinions on the ending was really interesting to read. :-) Makes me feel like watching this again.
SO TRUE.

And add the Tosa-ben factor to the mix.. viola! low-ratings. LOL

Ahhh.. If ever I decide to watch this again, I should prepare for lots of crying time again.

modhesh

Post by modhesh » Nov 15th, '08, 09:04

Ok, lemme get this straight. Croissant end up with Suzu and produces matsunaka and matsunaka is the father of ruriko, then Taro has a daughter named sakura and sakura has a son named akira. is that how it seems?

I really don't know since they left something unspoken, but considering what happened on the past makes the present like, clearer than blur.

anyway, I was like "ugh", this drama shows that age doesnt matter. since they found Taro like he's on 20s or higher, and Suzu was like 11 ~ 15 yrs old.
Great drama indeed..

I'm rooting for Aibu Saki..

It's funny that the croissant guy and the patrol man on GalCircle are one.. xD

igibeekun

Post by igibeekun » Jun 21st, '11, 17:24

its a great ending, if you watch it he said there is a tradition that the grandparents will be the one to name the child of their daughter/son. so taro really wants to name it akira according to his favorite movie. at the same time suzu do it too to her granddaughter.

this show is really great, for those aibu saki haters there, im sure if you watch this your hatred will be gone.