[DISCUSSION] Kono yo no Hate

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
groink

[DISCUSSION] Kono yo no Hate

Post by groink » Aug 23rd, '07, 23:07

I'm creating this topic for people who are watching this series and want to discuss the various subject matters. The series is very depressing, as well as being unconventional when compared to other dramas - both back then and today. Which is why I uploaded the series in the first place.

I've watched this series three times - the third time as I'm ripping them for uploading to D-Addicts. So the entire series is very fresh in my head, and I can explain things when questions come up.

Remember that people are watching this series at different rates. So when discussing a situation that could potentially be a spoiler, please use the spoiler tags.

--- groink

doramafreak

Post by doramafreak » Aug 24th, '07, 00:37

Thanks Groink, and thanks for the upload of the series. I tend to watch series all at once, so I haven't started watching yet as you are still releasing it. However, as you have indicated, it is on the depressing side. Is it so depressing that perhaps watching it all at once is not a good idea? If so, I will start watching bit by bit.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 24th, '07, 01:46

doramafreak wrote:Thanks Groink, and thanks for the upload of the series. I tend to watch series all at once, so I haven't started watching yet as you are still releasing it. However, as you have indicated, it is on the depressing side. Is it so depressing that perhaps watching it all at once is not a good idea? If so, I will start watching bit by bit.
The first time I watched it was when it aired live in 1995. Waiting each week for the next episode was torture. If you do decide to watch it all in one sitting, I'd make sure you watch the last episode just before you go to bed. Then that way, when you wake up the next day you won't feel in the dumps like you did the prior night. One of my friends also watched the series eons ago... He said that after completing the series, he felt very empty - as if all the problems he had prior to watching the series was NOTHING by comparison to what Maria went through. And he was seriously in the dumps for a few weeks. I kid ya not!

As for me, I got over it by the next day. Oshin had me in the dumps for days, but probably because it was based on real life, while Maria is only a fictional character.

There's no way you can watch it bit-by-bit if you already have all the episodes. You're going to watch one episode, attempt to do something else, and then end up watching the next episode. And the cycle will continue until end. I'm torturing everyone on D-Addicts on purpose with these one ep per week uploads - to get them the same torture I experienced when I originally recorded the episodes.
Starting at episode 10, you're going to see some REALLY REALLY freaky ****. If you are the least opinionated about things like Christianity or drug abuse, you'll probably have a difficult time with the remaining episodes. Maria, Shiro, Rumi...
--- groink

doramafreak

Post by doramafreak » Aug 29th, '07, 23:17

Oh wow,

Only up to ep 4 right now, but I have to say, this drama is really great - dark as hell - but I am 'enjoying' it if that is the right word. Thanks again for uploading it Groink. I am trying to pace myself in watching the episodes, but it just becomes compelling - you're absolutely right. I suspect I will be back here at the computer in no time!

EDIT: I've just proved you right. I kept trying to pace myself through the episodes, and of course that didn't happen because of how compelling it is. Just watched episode 10, and I can see just how torturous it must have been for you to wait for it every week! (Please don't interpret this as rushing you for the other episodes, because that isn't my intent - I'll wait patiently and enjoy the torture because it will make seeing the next episode all that more special).

However -
Episode 10 does seem to really start the freaky **** - I knew something was up as soon as she gave away Blue. We hear Maria's voice in the preview for the next episode. This of course could just be Shiro or Nana remembering Maria. However, there are 2 episodes to go yet, which seems like a long denouement for her to actually have succeeded in her plan. Yet at the same time we see in the preview that they are making preparations for an eye operation. I will wait til the final episodes come out - but this confuses me a bit, as previews are prone to doing. However, what is really getting to me is that when Shiro plays the piano at the end, we see him playing with his good hand, but what we hear sounds more like something that requires 2 hands to play????

doramafreak

Post by doramafreak » Sep 9th, '07, 23:20

Am I the only one who started watching this before all the episodes were up?

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Sep 18th, '07, 06:19

doramafreak wrote:Am I the only one who started watching this before all the episodes were up?
Nope, you're not the only one....I watched all episodes from one to ten last Monday 9/10/07 and I was totally feeling so empty after watching them....my mind just went blank and numb like; that's why I made the comment on the torrent page that this dorama totally blow my mind.... OFF TOPIC: But then I was also thinking if that feeling just had to do with the recent tragic that I experienced just recently and was finally wrapped up last 9/06/07....went to the grave yard last Sunday after mass service and I felt that same empty, blank, numb like feeling again....so I'm not gonna watch the rest of the drama for now....gonna wait for a few months to watch it again and complete it to see how it really is, and to formulate some comments on this dorama to be fair to it for what its really due.....

groink

Post by groink » Sep 18th, '07, 07:18

Okay.... Now that several of you have watched the entire series.... A good friend of mine didn't like the ending. I on the other hand thought that the ending was actually the correct one.

Re-winding back to ep1: Shiro felt trapped in his marriage and his career as a concert pianist. Remember the psychological test Nana gave Maria earlier - the question was:

It's the end of the world as we know it... There's just one boat... You can just take one animal with you... A horse, a peacock, a tiger or a sheep... Which animal would you choose?

The horse symbolizes a career.
The peacock symbolizes money.
The tiger symbolizes pride.
The sheep symbolizes love.

Maria answered "Sheep". Later, Maria asked Shiro this question. Shiro said, "I wouldn't get on the boat."

Shiro would later prove this. Him braking the tendons in his hand with the broken glass was his way to get out of the boat of a marriage and that peacock of a wife.

I'm thinking then that throughout the entire series, Maria learned that although she does have a loving heart, she eventually would take the easy route - which is hooking up with Kamiya. I think that in the helicopter, she realized that indeed her world was actually coming in an end (thus the title of the series), and that she should once again follow her heart. But rather than hanging around with Kamiya the sheep for the rest of her life, she eventually realized that she shouldn't have hopped on that boat with a propeller. So she basically jumped out. That's why I actually liked the ending.

Do you think Maria and Shiro will be happy? I don't think so - as Nana mentioned, only men who picked the sheep know how to love a woman.
--- groink

doramafreak

Post by doramafreak » Sep 18th, '07, 23:28

I think I am going to need to re-watch this one again soon - I haven't had time yet to work it out fully with real life and all keeping me away from it, but my focus has been a bit less on the recurring theme of the psychological question (sheep, tiger, peacock, etc.), and more on the theme of ruin - and how we often ruin ourselves for love. This comes up a few times in the dorama as well, but primarily between Shiro and Maria.

Here's where I am going with this so far, still a thought in progress:

Groink, I have to agree with your friend, I didn't like the ending - it was kind of fitting per the pysch test analogy, in terms of not getting on the boat, but it seemed to stretch away from Maria's personality.

On an individual basis, Maria shows tremendous strength through just about every adversity there is. For her to do the bridal sky dive seems a stretch. Even the walk into traffic was done with a clear purpose and with conscious choice- to provide a payout on her life insurance to Shiro so he can use this money to get out of the drug deal mess. She gets Shiro clean, and then clearly and decisively walks away from him, and then seems to go straight to Kamiya. Yes, we know she still loves Shiro, but she leaves him nonetheless.

This is why I am thinking again about the theme of ruin. Throughout their relationship, it seems to me like she has coddled Shiro, against the recommendations of I think it was her mom, the private investigator, and perhaps Kamiya who all advised her against doing so because she'd end up ruining herself. In the end, she literally ruins herself because of the condition she is left in following the jump. However, the jump itself seems to be a big disconnect from everything before.....I'll mull it further.....

knuts

Post by knuts » Oct 21st, '07, 10:58

groink, thank you very much for uploading this serie. I have enjoyed it very much. It was very raw and delicious, except for 2 things.
One must be very dreamy to mutilate oneself like that. OK, somehow I can understand that, but the the jump from the heli? I am not so sure about that one. I can understand that in the end Maria still prefers to be with Shiro, but how did she think she was going to accomplish that by jumping into death from the heli? I think it would have been better, If Maria would have left the rich guy, let's say after the honeymoon or after a while of being together and on her way back to Shiro, she gets an accident and then have the same ending. That would be more in line with the rest of the story IMHO.
Nevertheless, great serie. Got to rearrange my list of best drama's.

And you must be very unhappy with the drama's that are coming out these days, aren't you?

suyanling5

Post by suyanling5 » Mar 21st, '09, 03:14

where can i watch this??

runpup

Post by runpup » Mar 21st, '09, 17:34

suyanling5 wrote:where can i watch this??
http://www.onlytorrents.com/torrent/kon ... 70c21c8b9d

GreGG
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by GreGG » May 26th, '10, 17:01

There is no torrent link there. How can I get it?