[Discussion] Bara no nai Hanaya: Katori Shingo/Takeuchi Yuko

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Jan 26th, '08, 06:50

thanks for the scans and translations yanie

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jan 27th, '08, 00:37

yanie wrote:
atskv9 wrote:I guess Nojima would be referring to what was happening on screen in that film? So if that's the case, looks like it's going to end with a kiss :scratchchin:
That's what I thought too, the drama will end with a montage of hot kissing scenes between Eiji and Mio, lol! :lol

But it could also be Eiji watching home videotapes alone... or, that hospital director instead?
Haha, that montage would be nice, but entirely too predictable. And from what I've seen so far of Nojima's work in this drama, a hot kissing scene doesn't sound plausible as an ending. Oh it just struck me, it could be...
Eiji watching those video tapes of Shizuku's mother (relation to Eiji still uncertain to me). Details of why are beyond me though.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 28th, '08, 14:12

LOVED tonight's episode SOOOO MUCH!!!!! EXCELLENT! :cheers:

I just noticed that there's always this different "special love theme" between Eiji and Mio in each episode.

Ep1: "Do you do that to anyone else too?" -> referring the good deeds Eiji do, is it just for Mio, or does he do that to anyone else too. This line comes on couple of times during Eiji-Mio scenes.

Ep2: "Ohanaya-saaan!!" -> Mio called Eiji "Mr. Florist" over and over in this episode.

Ep3: Fairytale -> Beauty and The Beast, Cinderella... find out how it related to Eiji and Mio yourself when you watch this episode 8)

My favorite scene in this episode was when they were all accidentally gather around in front of the flower shop!! Eiji, Mio, Naoya, Ono-sensei, the old lady, and the cafe master! And how they talked about who loves who!!! Haha! It was soooo funny!!! And it was a "cynical" battle between Mio (Takeuchi Yuko) VS Ono-sensei (Shaku Yumiko)! Love these ladies' cynical banters and how the other 4 people surround them were reacting awkwardly and didn't know what to do, until Eiji spit out something he shouldn't have coz he panicked, hahaha~~ Definitely one of the BEST scene, so far!!!

Somehow this scene reminds me of a Long Vacation scene^^
It's obvious now that Eiji and Mio are falling in love with each other already. But seems like Eiji doesn't want to admit that yet, coz he's feeling guilty to his dead wife if he openly admit that he's in love with Mio. While, Mio is falling in love for REAL too. When Naoya teased her and lied to her that Eiji likes Shizuku's teacher, Mio's face immediately changed and didn't look happy at all. And when Eiji came, she told him to go away, coz she knows already about him liking Shizuku's teacher, that it has been a gossip spreading over the neighbourhood^^ After Eiji's gone, Mio was hitting the bed, whining like a child... then she just realized of what she's doing and asked herself, "Why must I feel upset?"

The scene in front of the flower shop, it went something like this...

Naoya: Ah, Ono-sensei! This is Mio-san, aniki's friend...
Yuki: How do you do, I'm Shizuku-chan's form teacher, Ono Yuki.
Mio: .....*turn away*....
Naoya: She lost her eyesight due to an accident.... But it doesn't make her a quiet person, and that's what aniki and Shizuku-chan loves about her the most.
Mio: *cynically smiling* It seems like you have become this home's private teacher, ne.
Yuki: hee?
Mio: It has become a rumour around here, y'know. Sensei and Mr. Florist....
Hishida (the old lady): Ara'! Is that so?
Yuki: *laughs* That's impossible...

The cafe master, Shigo came with a coffee on the tray.
Shigo: I bring coffee here for you, sensei!
Eiji: She's going home already.
Shigo: No way... here, just a sip.

Mio: If you two like each other, then why don't you two just get together openly! *forcing a wide smile* If you're going around the bushes like that, how do you think Shizuku-chan feels...?

Eiji: Like I said, that's...

Yuki: *doesn't look happy* I don't think you have the right to say anything about it.

Eiji: Sensei, please don't make it worse.
Shigo: Eiji, what does this mean, you bastard!
Eiji: No, it's.... ah, sou da... it's master! It's master who likes sensei....
Hishida: Is that so???
Naoya: Is that soo~~
Shigo: No, it's not like that.... Eiji, what are you doing??!

Mio: But, the one sensei likes, is Mr. Florist, right??
Eiji: There's no such thing, would you stop it already?

Yuki: *smiling* Yes, I like him. I like him very much.

Hishida: Is that so?
Naoya: Is that so?
Shigo: Is that sooo??? *collapse*

The cafe master falls to the ground and the tray and cup of coffee spilled over the ground, creates a riot. Meanwhile, Mio is very upset and leave the scene hastely. Eiji is aftering her. Mio didn't want to be followed, but Eiji insist.

The next week's preview!! Can't believe they ended it with that scene!

In Mio's apartement... she put her arms around Eiji's neck, who is somehow soaking wet.

Mio: Don't worry... I believe you, no matter what people say about you.
Eiji: I heard from Naoya... that your eyes are.....

+=+=+=+

I just realized something... Naoya told Ono-sensei that Mio lost her eyesight coz of accident. But Mio told Shizuku in Ep1, that she just naturally lost her eyesight slowly since childhood. hmm~
I won't make a conclusion yet, that Eiji know about Mio's blind act in next week's episode... I don't think Naoya would reveal an important secret like that to Eiji... so, Eiji might've talk about something else about her eyes, like about how she got blind or sumthin?? Or Eiji found out by himself?
Yabaaai... how should I survive till next week???
Last edited by yanie on Jan 28th, '08, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jan 28th, '08, 15:46

Gotta love 16hr workdays... I missed this and only caught a short glimpse on the car navi while going home...

I'll have to suffer through until tomorrow (hopefully.. although I'm sure I have a few more long work days ahead of me) to sit down and watch it...

It's hard to avoid the spoilers above..

Yanie, thanks for all of your contributions to the thread; great work!

funkyfurball

Post by funkyfurball » Jan 29th, '08, 03:07

hello there! (:

this is such a nice drama!! I've only just started watching Japanese dramas, so i don't have the experience to value a drama just by the actors and actresses!!! thank goodness I chanced upon this one!!! Though there are some parts in the first episode that I can't understand....can anyone help me out please? (T_T)
the part where the father and daughter were in the park, he told her the story about the sun. How is that related to Shizuku taking off the hood in the end?

I can understand that she thinks that she's the cause of her father's misery so she puts on the hood. I also can understand that he likens his late wife to the sun,how she would insist on giving birth to Shizuku,and silently watch from afar because she might pass away... just like the sun.

But I don't understand why,after hearing that,Shizuku takes off the hood? I can't see the connection between the sun and her.
thanks so much,whoever who solves the mystery(cloud in my head)! (:[/spoiler]

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 29th, '08, 06:35

funkyfurball wrote:
the part where the father and daughter were in the park, he told her the story about the sun. How is that related to Shizuku taking off the hood in the end?

I can understand that she thinks that she's the cause of her father's misery so she puts on the hood. I also can understand that he likens his late wife to the sun,how she would insist on giving birth to Shizuku,and silently watch from afar because she might pass away... just like the sun.

But I don't understand why,after hearing that,Shizuku takes off the hood? I can't see the connection between the sun and her.
Did you get what the old lady told Eiji? That Shizuku made her own conclusion the reason why her father always looks sad and lonely, is because she resembles her mother. So if Eiji look at Shizuku's face it must've remind him of her mother, and makes Eiji feels sad. So Shizuku decided to hide her face, so Eiji won't be sad anymore. At the park, in the end, Eiji explained how much Shizuku means to him, and there's no way he'd feel sad just because he sees her face. So, that's why Shizuku finally took off the hood.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jan 29th, '08, 07:55

hikkichan wrote:Gotta love 16hr workdays...
Tell me about it... Let's not forget 12 hr days on the weekend on top of the 16 hr days during the week too... :fear:

So I'm not entirely sure where the story is going anymore, but I'm still enjoying the ride. Here are a few more random things that popped into my head (post ep3):
More background on Mio's character comes out in this ep. Although she claims to hate her father, she obviously does care a great deal. That's probably what makes him more of a burden to her than anything else. She's hidden herself behind a tough exterior (rebellion against her father's personality and how his life turned out? job related disassociation?) and the only time she lets down that barrier is when she is supposed to be pretending to be somebody else -- although that only seems to be bringing out her own latent personality. Anyhow, her father's as-yet-unnamed "mystery illness" and his lack of concern about it obviously affects her.

As an aside, it looks like Anzai-sensei is some sort of neurovascular surgeon. That quick scene in the operation room looked like a cerebral aneurysm clipping procedure to me. And it makes sense that this is how he can manipulate Mio into his little game -- by treating her father's illness with extra care (even going so far as to giving him a private room).

So who's the beauty and who's the beast? I can't help but think that Mio (in her blind person act) is the beast here -- willful, selfish, and prickly exterior over a soft interior. In her case though, she's got the pretty face and the magic spell that needs to be broken is the one about her supposed blindness. At one point, Eiji was probably the beast before he became humanized by Shizuku's mother... Or Shizuku? I'm still not entirely convinced that Shizuku is really his daughter (yeah yeah, I'm stubborn), although it may be true that Shizuku's mother was addressing him in those tapes. Anybody wonder who was filming those videos though? Could it have been Eiji? :scratchchin:
And am I reading waaaay too much into this? ^_^;;;

After watching the first couple episodes, I was thinking that the series name and the fact that the shop has no roses is in reference to how Eiji consciously surrounds himself with honest, true beauty and goodness. None of this "I'm pretty, but watch out for my thorns" business. He's already made the conversion himself and Mio is slowly but steadily losing her thorns as well. But after watching the 3rd ep, there could be some fairy tale symbolism as well.

BTW, I love how Ono-sensei played Eiji and Mio. She totally read into everything that was going on and gave a nicely placed shove. :lol

For ep 4, I'm not worried that Naoya said anything to Eiji (he is still working for Mr. Evil Hospital Director, after all), but there is that one little scene with Hashida-san at the hospital overlooking Mio as she wheels a patient by.... smells like a red herring spoiler, but you never know... :fear:
This drama reminds me of the early episodes of Pride (before the story broke down, the characters became annoying, and blaaaah....I lost interest). Outside of having the same writer (i.e. bantering style of dialogue), the film direction, cinematography, and especially the sound direction are exactly the same. Is the whole production team the same? :scratch: Well, hopefully, this one won't disappoint me in the end like Pride did... :fear:

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 29th, '08, 14:07

i think the cafe master is a retire gang leader and his influence is keeping the enemy of eiji away. also i think eiji wife maybe dead due to an attack from eiji enemy.

funkyfurball

Post by funkyfurball » Jan 29th, '08, 16:52

yanie wrote:
funkyfurball wrote:

Did you get what the old lady told Eiji? That Shizuku made her own conclusion the reason why her father always looks sad and lonely, is because she resembles her mother. So if Eiji look at Shizuku's face it must've remind him of her mother, and makes Eiji feels sad. So Shizuku decided to hide her face, so Eiji won't be sad anymore. At the park, in the end, Eiji explained how much Shizuku means to him, and there's no way he'd feel sad just because he sees her face. So, that's why Shizuku finally took off the hood.
Oh....so...
" the sun story" has to do with Shizuku's mother,and nothing to do with Shizuku taking off the hood. She took it off because her father told her how much he loves her. (:
haha! I get it now, thanks alot! (:

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Jan 29th, '08, 18:48

Oh man, how am I supposed to wait another 6 days for the next episode?

I love reading all your comments especially the lengthy ones!! I've yet to fully understand the drama but I'm trying to grasp as much as I can watching the raws and reading comments (p.s. I don't understand japanese)...I've only watched ep1 subbed and 2&3 raw..but I sorta (freakily) understand bits and bobs here and there enough to understand what is happening!
I somehow really don't feel that Eiji is going to make a really big deal over the revelation of Mio not really being blind. I think that's just too typical that you'd expect it in any other dramas...but this drama just doesn't do anything typical or expected. Most dramas would have the truth be exposed then the couple split up and then realise that they truly were in love and eventually get back together ~the end...but I think in this drama it won't be that formula. Also I can't help be feel that Eiji may even know or has some idea that Mio may not really be blind??!?! I dunno..but I love their development!!! And I so love how Sensei played along and gave them that extra shove!! 6 more days of torture!!
:unsure:
Last edited by fifimimi on Jan 30th, '08, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 29th, '08, 19:30

i believe eiji already know mio is not bilnd since her house got break in (the flower pot)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 29th, '08, 22:46

Yeah, I've always thought that Eiji already knows that Mio is not blind too, since Ep1. Esp. during that rain scene in the intersection, I'm SO sure Eiji saw that Mio gaze at him for a second xD
Afterall, Eiji is not as naive as he looks, he was a criminal in the past :lol Did anyone see in the next episode, when Mio was like massaging Eiji.... there's a TV in Mio's room??!! Hahaha.... that's so funny! Although Mio must've made up reasons to Eiji, like she's getting a TV just coz she likes to hear the sound or sumthin'.... lol!
Minna, you might want to put up the spoilers about this drama in the spoiler box^^

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jan 29th, '08, 23:22

^^Arg, I was reading your above spoiler and thought it was only for episode 1 and then I caught some more from the following episodes :crazy:

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jan 30th, '08, 04:48

yanie wrote:
Yeah, I've always thought that Eiji already knows that Mio is not blind too, since Ep1. Esp. during that rain scene in the intersection, I'm SO sure Eiji saw that Mio gaze at him for a second xD
Afterall, Eiji is not as naive as he looks, he was a criminal in the past :lol Did anyone see in the next episode, when Mio was like massaging Eiji.... there's a TV in Mio's room??!! Hahaha.... that's so funny! Although Mio must've made up reasons to Eiji, like she's getting a TV just coz she likes to hear the sound or sumthin'.... lol!
Minna, you might want to put up the spoilers about this drama in the spoiler box^^
I don't know about Japan, but there are actually movies and certain shows broadcast in America with people describing the action for the blind. You just have to enable the audio track, so it kinda becomes like listening to a book on tape. Also, even a blind person in Japan would need to listen to news, weather reports, info on earthquakes, that sorta stuff. We have blind people in our family, and they own a tv. It's not really strange. :-)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 30th, '08, 07:09

Ahh... sou ka~ haha, thanks. atskv9, so sorry abt that xD I'll try to give warnings on which ep the spoilers are, from now on^^;

In an interview with Katori Shingo in TV LIFE that just come out today, he said,

"I've read up the script up to Episode 5 now. And when I found out more about Eiji's past life, I was like "Usoooo~~!!"(no way). The staff who had read the script to the end, said to me, there are just so many things going on in the past and the future.

Due to the big developments of the story, we, the casts, are not allowed to read the script of the later episodes yet. We read one episode script, just few days before the filming. We're not allowed to read till the end. The director thinks it might affects our acting. Like, because he's actually like this... that's why he's acting like this in this episode.... or coz in a later episode, this will happen... she was like this in this episode.... and we might naturally think too much on how we should act our roles... so its better if we don't know what's gonna happen yet, just like the characters who doesn't know what's gonna happen in the future..."

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jan 30th, '08, 07:46

^^Don't worry about it. I had read some people's speculations/predictions before and kind of saw it coming :roll

That's quite a good idea the Director had. It seems it would let the person actor in the moment and not be biased against something that would happen in the future or give away anything with their acting about the future. :thumleft:

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 30th, '08, 16:18

interesting way of filming... that director sound pro

junebug6272

Post by junebug6272 » Jan 30th, '08, 17:08

can't wait for the next episode, even though i'm sure there is a while to go before everything becomes clear...
Does anyone else get the feeling that Shizuku's mother might also
have been blind?

There was a lot of focus on her eyes as she was telling the Beauty and the Beast story and that may be and answer to why the director wants Mio to pretend to be blind....this show has me making all sorts of speculation, can't wait to see what happens....

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 30th, '08, 17:44

I joined some interesting clips of Bara no nai Hanaya's promo shows, interviews and the making. And it's also subtitled in English. Thanks alot to megumi and pegsball for helping me with the subs!
I like the casts' interactions! Terajima (the cafe master's actor) really talk as much as he likes xD lol!

For fans of the drama, I recommend this :mrgreen:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Size: 332 MB
Duration: 20 mins
Video link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IY1NWEX7
English softsub link: http://www.mediafire.com/?fz37lgygim0
Last edited by yanie on Jan 30th, '08, 23:29, edited 2 times in total.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Jan 30th, '08, 18:21

Wow Yanie thanks!!

Its great when they sub doramas but that comes as natural these days but subbing these TV specials are the best!! Thanks for providing the link...I was happy just watch the specials not understanding any dialogue but this is great!! :cheers: :w00t: :D :wub:
Last edited by fifimimi on Jan 30th, '08, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Jan 30th, '08, 20:52

I've just watched your clip Yanie san...its wonderful! Thanks again!!

Makoto_

Post by Makoto_ » Jan 30th, '08, 21:58

woow than you so much

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jan 31st, '08, 10:31

I'm always at work when Mezamashi airs the good stuffs.

Thanks for bringing it to us here.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 31st, '08, 13:17

Rumours on Katori Shingo and Takeuchi Yuko... :whistling:

(note: hitomishiri = shy, not good in interacting with people he just get to know.)

The "Hitomishiri" Katori Shingo is Drawn (Attracted) to Takeuchi Yuko?
Daily Cyzo, 23.01.2008

translated by Yanie

SMAP's Katori Shingo and Takeuchi Yuko, the pair of leads of the primetime slot drama "Bara no nai Hanaya", their intimacy in the filming location has become a topic.

An insider from the Bara no nai Hanaya filming set (a staff) gave a testimony, "Katori-san and Takeuchi-san gets along very well on the set. From what I've heard from other people who has worked with him and know him better, Katori-san is too much of the "hitomishiri" type. Most of the time, he just locks himself inside his own changing room during filming breaks. However, this time, on the set, we can often see him talking with Takeuchi-san. Moreover, it is Katori-san who gets quite active starting the topic of chats with her,".

Adding his comment on the TV interview with her, "It feels like it's not the first time...", it seems Katori has gotten attracted to Takeuchi.

Takeuchi has been known well as the "Co-star Killer". She is currently in a divorce process with Nakamura Shido II, though it doesn't seem it'll come to an end soon. Her son's custody is a big problem. In the middle of this difficult and stressing situation and now that she has Katori by her side to make her laugh, it's not impossible that she'd fall in love with the man who can make her feel better. In an interview, Takeuchi said, "There's no rose on the filming set, but it has lots of love," this comment sounded like it has a deeper meaning now.

By acting together in this drama, there might be a chance of new love to bloom between this two. Seem like, from now on, everyone will start to pay attention closely to their acting in the drama "Bara no nai Hanaya", as well as their private lives.

source:
http://www.misakiblog.net/archives/493985.html
http://blog.livedoor.jp/dragons_victory ... 64103.html
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Note that Nakamura Shido and Takeuchi Yuko's movie together where they first met in 2004, was "Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu"(Be with You) :lol:

Ima, Wakare ni Yukimasu (Part with You)
translated by Yanie

Nakamura Shido and Takeuchi Yuko has FINALLY hand over the divorce application to the ward office in January 27th, 2008, and that their divorce case has been settled.

Their son's custody case was a big problem, since Shido want his son to inherit his kabuki family generation and of course, he wanted to educate him to be a kabuki actor. But if Takeuchi takes custody of their son, he'll loose all the rights to do all these. Takeuchi Yuko filed the divorce papers and hired a divorce lawyer since October 2006. Ironically, their marriage was a speed shotgun, but their divorce took this long.

Eventually, Shido lost the case, and it has been decided that Takeuchi Yuko will take custody of their son from now on.

Meanwhile, in the filming set of "Bara no nai Hanaya", there has been rumours that Takeuchi is romantically involved with her co-star, Katori Shingo. Since her divorce case is almost settled, perhaps she's ready for a new romance. Let's just hope she'd able to find a man who doesn't do illicit affairs, this time.

source: http://www.nekomimi-news.net/archives/601623.html
=========================================

Could it be the producers are not satisfied with the 22-19-18% ratings, so they spread the rumours to increase the ratings? :roll

IF Shingo and Yuko is true...their situation would be more or less the same with Eiji and Mio. A romance with a divorcee/single parent with one child^^

takaraieri

Post by takaraieri » Feb 1st, '08, 01:49

Hey, still haven't watched the third episode, but I've been reading all these rumours about Shingo and Yuko. I really don't know what to think: Shingo is said to be in a relationship with some former OL (Office Lady) for almost 9 years now. I think Yuko and Shingo really match, I mean, you can see the magic around them... I guess :P
But oh Lord, can you imagine if this is all true and Yuko gets her child's custody?? I would be the happiest child in the world, just being around Shingo-kun *fan mode*

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 1st, '08, 12:53

Question...

Can blind people cook? @_@

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Feb 1st, '08, 15:03

Interesting articles, yanie, thanks for the translation :D
yanie wrote:Could it be the producers are not satisfied with the 22-19-18% ratings, so they spread the rumours to increase the ratings? :roll
What an extremely cynical point of view...I like it! :lol That could very well be true, and I wouldn't put anything past anyone when it comes to the quest for ratings. Though I'd also like to think this show is good enough that it doesn't need to resort to such devious tactics.

Even after the decline the ratings aren't bad by any means, you might even say it's natural for a show to lose a certain percentage of its viewership after the pilot. I'm not worried about the trend so far, hopefully the producers aren't either.

Makoto_

Post by Makoto_ » Feb 1st, '08, 15:04

of course!, I saw a case in the news a blind cook, they cook with the smell´s sense

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Feb 1st, '08, 16:47

Its great you understand japanese Yanie, your translations and subbings are super great!! Thanks!!

I wouldn't speculate so much..I think Yuko san is just a very charismatic person and she seems to make people who are around her want to like and get to know her...so I think its only natural that Shingo san is friendly to her...plus the fact this is very much a human drama and also romantic/love story as well so its all good that they communication well offset and both parties don't retreat to their own closets after the yell of 'cut!' Whether is just friendship or something more..I'm just far too happy with the drama, their chemistry and their pairing to really care too much cos I'm so satisfied already!!

As for blind people cooking...there are many people who became blind so they once had vision which would justify them being able to cook...and if those that were blind since birth can live independently so I'm sure livng independently includes cooking. ~This is all my own assumption! :roll

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 2nd, '08, 03:04

Wooh... sugoii~~ a blind cook??! I just can't imagine how they can slice meat, measure water and the ingredients and all, without their eyesights :blink:

Spoiler for Ep3 and some hints for Ep4:
Well... nevertheless, Mio is getting become a bad actress, as she starts to grow feelings for real for Eiji. If I were Eiji, I would've notice that she's not blind aleady xD And I guess, that's what's gonna happen in Ep4 ^^
And I suspect that half of mizune's theory will come true. Coz in the magazine articles, in the relationship charts, Eiji and Motokariya Yuika's character has become a question mark of "tsukiatteta?"(they were dating?). And the articles said, that what happened in the past between Eiji and Shizuku's mother will be revealed in Ep4! Hooo~?? Could it be, could it be??

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Feb 2nd, '08, 03:16

Just finished watching episode 2. This is one of the most obvious dramas I have seen in a long time, perhaps ever. And yet it's so captivating!

I think what will make it interesting in the long run is to see what other obstacles Eiji and Mio have to go overcome after he discovers she's not blind, which I hope happens very soon.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 2nd, '08, 04:02

uhh... I think you better post your comments with spoiler tags? :roll

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Feb 2nd, '08, 06:12

Haha yanie you are the mod of the BaraHana thread :D It's good that you are too cause the spoilers in this drama are killer.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Feb 2nd, '08, 06:39

junebug6272 wrote:can't wait for the next episode, even though i'm sure there is a while to go before everything becomes clear...
Does anyone else get the feeling that Shizuku's mother might also
have been blind?

There was a lot of focus on her eyes as she was telling the Beauty and the Beast story and that may be and answer to why the director wants Mio to pretend to be blind....this show has me making all sorts of speculation, can't wait to see what happens....
I think you've hit the nail on the head with this one!

Icemilktea

Post by Icemilktea » Feb 2nd, '08, 10:12

Just finished ep2 and i just noticed theres a reference to the drama hotaru no hikari in it :D

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 2nd, '08, 15:09

atskv9 wrote:Haha yanie you are the mod of the BaraHana thread :D It's good that you are too cause the spoilers in this drama are killer.
LOL! Gomen, gomen! Its just that the joy to watch this drama is, WITHOUT spoilers. I just want every people to feel that joy :P

voth

Post by voth » Feb 3rd, '08, 03:54

Spoiler information is for episode 3. If you don't wanna know, don't go peeking. :lol
Did anyone else find the small outburst of jealousy that Mio showed towards Eiji at the beginning of episode 3 (outside the flower shop) funny?

Can someone tell me the significance of the 2 flower pedals at the end of the episode? I assume it has some kind of romantic implication considering how the episode ended. :whistling:

Not really related to episode 3, but to the series thus far:
Anyone else tired of the vindictive (read: evil) hospital directory? If he plans on making Eiji suffer for the loss of his daughter why did he wait 7-8 years (I assume Shizuku is around that age since she is in second grade)?

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Feb 3rd, '08, 12:19

voth wrote:Spoiler information is for episode 3. If you don't wanna know, don't go peeking. :lol
Did anyone else find the small outburst of jealousy that Mio showed towards Eiji at the beginning of episode 3 (outside the flower shop) funny?

Can someone tell me the significance of the 2 flower pedals at the end of the episode? I assume it has some kind of romantic implication considering how the episode ended. :whistling:

Not really related to episode 3, but to the series thus far:
Anyone else tired of the vindictive (read: evil) hospital directory? If he plans on making Eiji suffer for the loss of his daughter why did he wait 7-8 years (I assume Shizuku is around that age since she is in second grade)?
I'm assuming that the Hospital Director probably recently found Eiji cos the photos of Eiji he had were recent ones with him working in the flower shop. Or it could be that he made some revelation recently to suggest to him that Eiji was the caused of his daughter death or something?! I dunno...but I assume that there must be a reason as to why he is so angry with him and why now and not before.

As for mio's jealosusy..utterly amusing if you ask me!! Its soo cute how besides acting blind..Mio really isn't acting at all...She's seriously falling for Eiji but I think she will get very hurt within the midst of everything... :cry:

The 2 flower petals...well I was wondering about that...I thought...maybe Eiji saw and watched Mio pull those petals cos you know when he was searching for her? It really seemed like he found her cos he stopped and smiled like 'I've finally found her' but then they didn't show that he had...Why if he found her but then only went to meet her later..maybe he used the time to decide whether he was going to go for it...sounds a bit wishy woshy but I really got the idea that maybe he found/saw her earlier (before the meet at the station).

kvertand

Post by kvertand » Feb 3rd, '08, 17:16

fifimimi wrote:
The 2 flower petals...well I was wondering about that...I thought...maybe Eiji saw and watched Mio pull those petals cos you know when he was searching for her? It really seemed like he found her cos he stopped and smiled like 'I've finally found her' but then they didn't show that he had...Why if he found her but then only went to meet her later..maybe he used the time to decide whether he was going to go for it...sounds a bit wishy woshy but I really got the idea that maybe he found/saw her earlier (before the meet at the station).
Hmm...from their conversation at the station I had the impression that he found the petals after she had gone and knew she had been there. I think part of Mio's reaction was fear that she had been found out, because she wasn't pretending to be blind when she was plucking the petals and thought that if Eii had seen her then he knew...but then he said "ato sukoshi de..." as if he had found the spot after she left.

Love2000AMGlam

Post by Love2000AMGlam » Feb 4th, '08, 13:35

Ahhh cliff hanger!

Episode 4...
I loved when Eiji and Shigo wore the hoods when saving the classmate! (W) So his parents were drunk and/or abusive? And from now on what will become of him???

Eiji seems to have known Mio could see, or else he wouldn't have bothered with the TV. But why would he buy her something that expensive knowing that she lied かな.

I could believe that he really likes her, but somehow I think that it is too simple and too soon for this drama. So he must have a motive to be close to her? Could he also know that she is working for someone else and play along to find out who the upper up is?
My Japanese isn't strong enough to understand everything in this drama. Are there subtitled videos somewhere yet? I would like to rewatch it with subs to make more sense of what is going on.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 4th, '08, 13:36

Oh, my God!! Eiji! You bastard! How could you??! :cry: I don't think I can believe him anymore, after I know what happened between him and Shizuku's mother!! His kind-hearted nature and all, might be lies!

I cried twice watching tonight's episode.... in the middle, and in the end.
I love the opening scene, Mio's daily life at work, and after work, fixing her make-up, getting on a bus and all. And her narration voiceover^^ Typical light-hearted romance movies... then I just realized this is not a light-hearted story^^ Then, when she got down from the bus, she pull out her cane and Eiji was there to pick her up. Then, they go shopping together^^ Love their bicker about the "koron" and "karan" sound :D

I also love when Shizuku was counting the house's financial income and outcome, and there's an amount of sum missing. She accused Naoya, but then Eiji admitted it was him who took the money. Shizuku said that's okay, but she wanted to know what he used it for!! Haha.... she's acting like the housewife of the house!! So cute!

Then, there was Naoya saying to Anzai, "I think its time for us to do the next step...". Hooo, that's what I want to know!! All these time, I was wondering exactly in WHAT WAY Anzai is planning to destroy Eiji's life?? What's comes next when Mio managed to make Eiji head over heels for her??

In the middle of the episode, I was moved with the little boy's acting. When he cried I cried too... His mother and his mother's boyfriend are such low human beings >_< But Eiji is right, there might be many kids in this world who goes through the same thing as he is. It really touched me...

Then finally, Anzai, the hospital director told Mio everything, coz Mio kept insisting that he might have misunderstood Eiji.

Oh my God.... I'm so disappointed at Eiji. I don't think I can believe him anymore. I don't know who to believe anymore now! :ph43r: Eiji in the past was just... a despicable human being >_< Now, I understand very well why Anzai, the hospital director hated him to the core. If I'm the father, I'll do the same thing.

And now... I really don't believe that this good and kind-hearted nature of Eiji, is his real him. I doubt his feelings for Mio! Is it true? Or is he just playing along with this game?? Although he still act like he don't know about Mio's blind act, but I'm soooo sure he already knows. I'm so sure he's not that naive.

And if I'm Mio, i'll react the same way when I heard what happened in the past. "No, it can't be... no, there's no way Eiji did that.... noooo~~", ha... xD So, anyway... what happened to Eiji and Shizuku's mother in the past...

Mio thought Eiji and Shizuku's mother were in love. But no, Shizuku's mother's love for Eiji was unrequited. Eiji didn't love her, and they did a one night stand. She's pregnant, and she told him about it, but then Eiji never come to see her even once after that. This was all written in her diary, that her romance with Eiji is a one-sided love. Then, she died giving birth to the child. It seems like Shizuku's mother was just imagining and pretending like Eiji loves her too, and they're in love, in those video letters. But the truth that it was a one-sided love was written in her diary.

I'm still trying to figure out why Eiji cried in the hospital (Ep1) though.... maybe he realized his mistake... or?

In the end, Eiji knocked Mio's apartement, all wet coz it's raining outside. And he lost his keys to the house. He couldn't contact Naoya and he didn't want to wake Shizuku and Hishida-san up. Mio said, "So its alright to wake me up??". He said, "I'm sorry, somehow I just wanted to see your face... I'll go now, sorry...". But then, Mio held him back and told him to go inside.

Then, finally... I really couldn't enjoy that hug scene between Eiji and Mio, although I've been waiting for it, like a week!! I was expecting another sweet romantic scene like in the end of Ep1, 2, and 3! But this time, the atmosphere is just not like that. It was tensed. It's like both has secrets and both are lying to each other, and that they are about to find out the truth....

I cried after the whole episode was over, coz I was thinking... what if it was all lies? His kind-hearted nature... his feelings for Mio.... what if none of that true? T_T

In the preview for Ep5, that Eiji's real face comes on again, and it seem like he's saying, "I don't love you..."
Last edited by yanie on Feb 4th, '08, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

Catslaughing

Post by Catslaughing » Feb 4th, '08, 13:42

I just finished watching the fourth episode and my head exploded...
Actually, I came here because I hadn't seen the first three eps (or any dramas this season) and had no idea what was going on. Really no idea...
My Japanese can keep up with a certain level and then I'm lost...

Anyway, Shingo's acting is quite good and I like Takeuchi Yuko. For this episode, I can't say I understand the child rescue thing. Also, the revelation everyone's waiting for pops up at the end. *Cliffhanger alert!* I guess I'll have to tune in next week, even though I'm not fond of the (in this episode) prevailing dark undertone (Death! Betrayal! Divorce! And emphatic child actors. ~_~ Though I got through Tenki ni Naare somehow.)

There's all sorts of stuff going on in this episode. I'm not sure why Matsuda's character was collaborating with the hospital head, but now that I've read through this thread, the ending makes a lot more sense. "Take it to the next level." And this isn't a dark drama? Could've fooled me... Mayhap love will conquer all... Or something, I still have no idea what was going on. ^^

Anyways, being slow to post, Shingo bought the tv for her because she said she never wins those sorts of contests and he felt sorry for her and decided to pretend she had won and went and bought her the tv, even though he still thought she was blind.

He states that he has a cold cruel part of his soul that he wishes he could erase, but..

Love2000AMGlam

Post by Love2000AMGlam » Feb 4th, '08, 13:46

Oh yeah, what is the "koron/karan" thing???
I tried looking it up in my dictionary but there was no entry.

Catslaughing, thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense. (duh me)

shuurei

Post by shuurei » Feb 4th, '08, 14:13

love this drama. it just makes me want to take a peek at the spoilers...must exercise self-restraint.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 4th, '08, 14:26

Love2000AMGlam wrote:Oh yeah, what is the "koron/karan" thing???
I tried looking it up in my dictionary but there was no entry.
Koron and karan are sounds of the beads.
Mio: I think we better stop...
Eiji: Don't give up so fast, you might win the TV prize.
Mio: If you insist so much, then go ahead and do it for me. I just hate the "koron" sound of the white bead...
Eiji: If you win the first prize, the sound would be "karan"...
Mio: Don't think so, it's gonna be "koron"...
Eiji: No, it's gonna be "karan, karan"....
Mio: It's gonna be "koron"!

And that's when the clerk came, "Koron, karan... are you going to do this or not??" :lol

Yeah, after Anzai revealed of what Eiji did to his daughter in the past, I'm convinced that he already knows about Mio's blind act! Just that he play along with this game >_<

epi

Post by epi » Feb 4th, '08, 14:41

Love2000AMGlam wrote:Ahhh cliff hanger!
Are there subtitled videos somewhere yet? I would like to rewatch it with subs to make more sense of what is going on.
you can find the subtitled videos here actually, just go to the torrent
love song is subbing this series and they've done such a great job at it ...

anyway ... i'm a person with no restraint at all
so i've clicked on every single spoiler here!!! :whistling:
and it looks like this drama has more layers than we can see ...
i love the development of the story ... it keeps me guessing cause what i'm seeing is most probably not the real thing (like there are secret undertones in everything, a story behind a story)
i really really hope that this drama won't turn into a dark korean drama kind of thing ... :O

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Feb 5th, '08, 18:25

This drama is gonna be one of the best (all those twist and turn, up and down).... glue you to the seat. Can't wait for ep 5 wonder how the story will go next. What i analyse about mio turn out to be quite true. Is there other drama like this?

This come in to my mind after watching ep4
Only Darkness can recongise Darkness... and only Darkness can protect Light. Light (except those few) will never be capable of understand what Darkness (true form) is. "liar game" also give me this feeling

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Feb 6th, '08, 05:28

After ep 4...
Well, I guess I might have to finally abandon my theory that Eiji isn't Shizuku's real father... :lol

But the plot looks like it's starting to congeal a bit. It seems Director Anzai wants to get revenge on Eiji by doing exactly what he believes was done to his daughter, i.e. get Eiji to fall in love with somebody who does not love him, who will toy with his affections, and who will finally abandon him. So his choice of Mio, who for all intents and purposes has lived her life building a reputation for being quite a shrew, is his ideal choice for the femme fatale... But it looks like he never considered the fact that she would not only take a genuine liking to Eiji, but to her new persona as well. I still think Director Anzai is only seeing the half-truth about what Eiji did to his daughter. Still some missing pieces running loose... the circumstances of how Eiji and Shizuku's mother met, more about Eiji's (and Shizuku's mother's) childhood past, and what the Director intends to do about Shizuku (if anything at all)...

At the end of the episode after they "liberate" Shogo-kun, Eiji tells Shogo to come visit his flower shop whenever he felt lonely or confused, no matter how old he became. If Shogo brought a single rose with him, without saying a word, Eiji would understand... This is most likely similar to the truth that happened between Eiji and Shizuku's mother... When he went to the hospital with the rose, the rose was a symbolic cry for help on his part. That she died during childbirth may have been an unfortunate coincidence.

And the video letters.... their existence really makes sense if Shizuku's mother was blind as well. A blind person cannot write a letter to a seeing person (not without special equipment, at least), so video (or audio) letters are the easiest way to send correspondence. Those video letters were a way to let him know he wasn't an "unknown soldier". In her way, she was counseling Eiji through his problems.

It also looks like Naoya is trying to pave a way for Mio to reveal her visual capacity to Eiji without having to totally give up the blind girl act. Whether this is part of the Director's plan to take the game to the next level or if it's Naoya's attempt to give them a happy ending after all is up in the air.

Random funny/sadistic Naoya moment:
Naoya: (to Mio) Just what type of work do you do?
Mio: Uhh.... Shizuku, can you guess?
Shizuku: Hmmm....
Hishida-san: A masseuse! Shiatsu!
Mio: That's right! Shiatsu!
Naoya: Shiatsu, huh? Ohhh....

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 6th, '08, 14:52

Scans from various magazines, spoiler pics up to Ep4:
ImageImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Terajima Susumu (the cafe master) and Shaku Yumiko(Ono Yuki-sensei) will be guests in Bistro SMAP Feb 11th, next Monday!!! Wow... this is the first time Bistro Smap have guests to promote the same drama TWICE!!@_@ They really goes all out to promote this! From the article, it seems like Terajima Susumu is such a hillarious person!^^ I cannot wait, Terajima IS an interesting person!^^

source: http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ss

And Takeuchi Yuko will be guest in Shingo's variety program, SmaStation, a live show program in Feb 9th, Saturday. She suppose to promote her latest movie, Team Batista (where she play the role as a doctor/heart transplant surgeon), but I guess it is a good promo for "bara no nai hanaya" too^^
Last edited by yanie on Feb 7th, '08, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Feb 6th, '08, 18:01

I have a question : is this series based on an original screeplay, or is it adapted from a novel or manga? DramaWiki doesn't give a hint, so if someone could enlighten me? Thanks in advance :-)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 6th, '08, 23:12

kiddygrade wrote:I have a question : is this series based on an original screeplay, or is it adapted from a novel or manga? DramaWiki doesn't give a hint, so if someone could enlighten me? Thanks in advance :-)
Original screenplay by Nojima Shinji (a famous drama scriptwriter). Thus, the media has been making a fuss over this drama, due to the success of the pilot episode achieving 22.4% rating and for being the first original drama which is not a manga or novel adaptation in 1.5 years that passed 20% rating.

Oh, this drama gets positive reviews in newspapers too^^ I read one in saturday's Nikkei (japanese economy) Newspaper the other day.

voth

Post by voth » Feb 7th, '08, 01:28

yanie wrote:Oh, this drama gets positive reviews in newspapers too^^ I read one in saturday's Nikkei (japanese economy) Newspaper the other day.
It seems rather odd that an economist newspaper is covering a tv show. I can understand a 'regular' newspaper covering tv ratings, etc. but not an economist newspaper. :unsure:

EDIT: Not related to the previous post, but does anyone know if there is an official / unofficial OST for this series yet?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 7th, '08, 06:15

voth wrote:
yanie wrote:Oh, this drama gets positive reviews in newspapers too^^ I read one in saturday's Nikkei (japanese economy) Newspaper the other day.
It seems rather odd that an economist newspaper is covering a tv show. I can understand a 'regular' newspaper covering tv ratings, etc. but not an economist newspaper. :unsure:

EDIT: Not related to the previous post, but does anyone know if there is an official / unofficial OST for this series yet?
An economist paper is allowed to have pages for TV schedules, right? "Bara" review is on that page^^ And its the Saturday edition afterall (less-serious contents edition^^).

Bara no nai Hanaya OST will be released on Feb 20th.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 7th, '08, 13:33

Does anyone have opinion on what the Ending Titleback symbolize?

In SMAPxSMAP skit 2 weeks ago, Kimura Takuya suddenly asked Shingo abt the drama's titleback, "That snow titleback! Does it has anything to do with the ending??". Shingo just smile mischeviously and replied, "Please, watch that titleback again and pay attention to the flow of the sequences,".

Then I read many articles in the magazines, and it says that the titleback has hints of Eiji and Mio's future. Shingo and Yuko's comments are...

Yuko: Pay attention to the way Eiji and Mio falls, Eiji was facing down and Mio was facing up. Also the directions when they lie on the snow. It all indicates something. I guess, the way Eiji and Mio meet and NOT looking at each other although they are face to face, must have gotten people thought that it's not gonna be a happy ending ne~

Shingo: This titleback give a lot of hints. I'd be happy if the audience are paying attention closely to this titleback, since we filmed it in such a hard, cold weather that day (laughs). Pay attention on how Eiji and Mio's hands were about to touch each other's, but then it separates.

One of the article also says that the ALL-WHITE atmosphere in this titleback depict something.

I have never seen a beautiful and meaningful titleback like this since Sleeping Forest!^^ In Sleeping Forest's last episode, if I remember correctly the titleback was extended a bit with more clear sequences and it symbolize each character's ending. I wonder if Nakae Isamu, the director, will extend Bara's titleback (he's also Sleeping Forest's director) in the last episode too.

Nakae Isamu, the director, talks about the drama:

"Nojima Shinji's scripts are always difficult to realize. He has his own way in writing speed tempo dialogues. And there are dialogues that would never happen in real-life. So, there's no other way but to create it's own world for this drama to fit in the dialogues. The most important parts for this drama's story are the casts' acting and performances.
Also, in the last scene of Episode 1. The scene where Eiji and Mio embrace each other in the middle of the rain at the intersection. There's this one line written on the script, "In the middle of the intersection, one stalk of red rose is blooming."
How am I suppose to realize this??! Suddenly there's a red rose blooming in the middle of the intersection? So then I just played some special effects with the red umbrella from above view and made it look like a red rose. I don't usually do special effects like this for dramas. But just this time, to realize Nojima Shinji's scripts, I must do things I don't usually do. It's like a challenge for me.
It's been 15 years since I worked together with Shingo (*a drama titled "Onegai Demon", about a demon family disguising as humans^^;). It's been so long since then, so it felt like working with him for the first time. I really felt like, it's been a long time since I meet a wonderful actor like him. Though it seems like he's a tough guy, he's actually a delicate, gentle person and doesn't talk much. He resembles Eiji alot. Eiji's character and way of talking that never express his feelings clearly and firmly, is actually Shingo's own way of portrayal. Shingo created this part of Eiji's character himself. But if I think on what's gonna happen inside Eiji from now on, it is perfectly done and suits the character very much.
Mio is a frank and cheerful lady, but she can never express her realself and has turned to a serious person. Then she meet Eiji, and she's able to be herself since then. Actually, the titleback was also made based on these. The man who always escape from reality, went through ups and downs in his life, until he meet one lady, and he starts to be able to walk in stable and he walk towards her. But before they are able to hold each other's hands, why do they fall on the snow?? I cannot answer that (laughs).
There will be more riddles answered from now on. Actually ROSE is to symbolize Eiji. So, will the time, of roses finally arranged in rows in his flower shop, come someday? Let's look forward to many things in this drama!"

(TV Life, Feb 2nd - 15th edition, page 10)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 7th, '08, 15:21

BARA NO NAI HANAYA
Let's Break The Riddles' "Thorns"!
guided by Katori Shingo & Takeuchi Yuko

(The Television Weekly, Feb 9th - 15th edition, page 86-87)

translated by Yanie
[note: spoilers up to Ep4!]

ImageImage

Thorn 1:
"Kanojo" 's video letters contains keywords to solve the story?

Katori: The video letters are very important. To the audience who pay attention closely to it, might notice something!

Takeuchi: I think the biggest hint is that it solves the story's riddles. Why do you think "kanojo" talk to the camera and say "kimi"(you)? I guess, it's not something you should concern much. But later on, you might go, "Eh?".
(note: Japanese women don't usually use "kimi", "kimi" is the Japanese men's words to use. Women use "anata". Unless it's boyish, tomboy girls... I don't think Japanese women would use "kimi")

Thorn 2:
What happened in Eiji's past?

Katori: Kanojo said, "Eiji is a man who didn't know love". He must've changed since Shizuku was born, ne.

Takeuchi: Kanojo said, "You are a lonely man". When you hear that, you might have start to think "What's Eiji's background?". You think it relates to "the unkind Eiji"?

Thorn 3:
What does the All-White ending titleback means?

Katori: There are lots of hints here~! I'd be happy if the audience are paying attention closely to this titleback, since we filmed it in such a hard, cold weather that day (laughs). Pay attention on how Eiji and Mio's hands were about to touch each other's, but then it separates.

Takeuchi: There might be something with the directions Eiji and Mio falls, also their gaze directions. It all indicates something. I guess, the way they are NOT looking at each other although they are face to face, must have gotten people thought that it's not gonna be a happy ending ne~

Mini-Thorn:
How do they divide the rooms in Shiomi's house?

There are 4 people in the house at the moment. Hishida and Shizuku sleep together in the bedroom. Eiji sleep in the living room. Where does Naoya sleep?

Katori: Yeah, I wonder where does Naoya sleep...? It must be around there somewhere. (laughs) I don't think he pay the house rent. Perhaps, his daily life is just playing around with Shizuku, and take care of the shop when Eiji goes to meet Mio, ne.

Suddenly, there are 2 people moved in to the house. Is Eiji and Shizuku's financial condition alright??

Thorn 4:
Will Mio keep on lying to Eiji?

Mio has started to have feelings for real for Eiji. In Episode 4, she said to him, "I believe you". Does this mean she's gonna tell him the truth?

Takeuchi: The first time Mio met Eiji, she was a blind person. Since due to that fact, she was able to meet and have this relationship with him, Mio might have been thinking, "If I'm not acting blind, I won't have a reason to meet him,".

Thorn 5:
Anzai's hatred to Eiji cannot be erased?

Takeuchi: I wonder what will happen when Mio's feelings to Eiji turns real? If even that time comes, and Anzai keeps going with the plan. How much hatred does he has, that he's able to play around with people's feelings? I wish Shizuku can melt her grandfather's heart, ne.

Thorn 6:
How will Eiji and Mio's romance continue?

Ever since Shizuku's mother died, Eiji said he has forgotten romance. But then he's attracted to Mio who has a "blooming-flower" smile. In Episode 4, Eiji and Mio has taken themselves to another level, embracing each other. The problem is, if Mio continue to pretend to be blind. When Eiji finds out about this, what will happen then?

Katori: I want these two to be normally happy. Is that impossible...? (laughs) I hope Eiji would give a rose (that indicates "a never-changing love") to Mio someday.

Takeuchi: I always feel like telling Mio, "It's alright! Eiji-san will accept and understand you. So, better tell him now! Tell him the truth before it's too late!".

Mini-Thorn:
Will Shigo's love comes true?

He's even more pure than Eiji? The COLON cafe master, Shigo's romance, will it come true?

Katori: I really hope master's romance will go smooth, ne~ Though he's a cool person in front of Eiji, he always act different in front of sensei (laughs). He should've just act normally, ne.

Episode 5 Synopsis
A big development in Episode 5 (broadcast on February 11th)!! Eiji heard from Naoya, that Mio's eyes can see again if she take surgery, but she cannot afford the surgery expenses. On top of that, there's a man who's willing to pay for the expenses if Mio agree to marry him. Eiji feels bothered when he heard this. What will Eiji do!? Of course, this is just a story made up by Naoya and Anzai. Anzai wanted to make Eiji give up a large amount of money for Mio, then make him shocked by telling him the truth about Mio.
Meanwhile, Mio has decided to stop the act and lying to Eiji, and is planning to transfer her father to another hospital, away from Anzai as far as she can. Does this mean Mio will tell Eiji the truth!?

Katori: "I think it's better if you watch again the previous episodes. Really, even in Episode 1 the characters had given hints already, they even have mentioned some things that will happen near the ending!"

Takeuchi: "Whenever people around him say, "You're such a nice person", Eiji's eyes will somehow move for a moment. When you see that, you might think, "Maybe he's not a nice person at all,". And if you look at kanojo's lonely face in the video letters, you'll suspect Eiji... However, to me, I still think Eiji is not a bad person!"

==END==

Another Episode 5 preview from TV Guide:

"Mio has determined not to lie to Eiji anymore, resign herself from the hospital director's plan and make herself disappear from everyone. But, Eiji also has his own determination. On Valentine's day, Eiji takes Mio on a date, to a classic concert. On the way home, they take a ride on a ferris wheel, and there... Eiji makes one confession...

yanie: 英治はプロポーズしちゃうかも~ *v*

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 7th, '08, 16:35

Shizuku, Shizuku, Shizuku INTERVIEWS!!

translated by Yanie

Yagi Yuki (the child actress who's playing Shizuku) INTERVIEW 1
(TV Life, Feb 2nd - 15th edition, page 10)

Q. Is the filming fun?
It's fun! Katori-san always play with me, and he often carry or give me a ride on his shoulder too. Katori-san's shoulder ride is alot higher than my own father! He often give me some toys too, and today he bring my favorite snack. Then I just realized recently, that Katori-san is a very popular person. Just the other day, when the filming was over and I exited the studio together with him, there were girls screaming towards him, "Kyaaa!" like that, and I was very surprised!

Q. You didn't know he's popular, ne. (laughs)
By the way, how's acting?

It's fun. Before it starts, I was so nervous, "can I do this?". Then, turn out I can do it, I'm so happy!

Q. Yuki-chan, do you think you have the same character as Shizuku-chan?
I think Shizuku-chan is much more mature than me. I mean, she can use the portable calculator and understand money calculation. I don't understand how to calculate money yet. But that's exactly why acting is fun, because the character is alot different than me. To recite lines like adults, I like it, it's fun!

Q. So, do you want to continue acting from now on?
Yes! I want to keep acting forever!

Q. Yuki-chan, what do you think will happen to your dad (Katori) and Mio-neesan (Takeuchi)?
Uunn.... I think they'll get married. I think daddy likes Mio-san.

Yagi Yuki INTERVIEW 2
(Josei Jishin, Feb 19th edition)

Daddy & Shizuku-chan's Talk!!

ImageImage

Shizuku: I do not watch television much, so I didn't know that daddy is a popular guy in SMAP, heehee....

Katori: Yeah, she didn't know. During the filming at the bus stop, when highschool girls were coming, she said to me, "hee... daddy, you're popular, ne~" (laughs)

Shizuku: But even from the first time I met daddy, I already think he's a great person, kakkoii and tall!

Katori: Shizuku-chan really has a great actress' soul, not only she memorize her own lines, she also memorize my lines. If I asked her, "What was it again?", she'll tell me my line perfectly.

Shizuku: Well, if you don't know the other character's line, you won't know the flow of the dialogues, right?

Katori: You'll definitely become a great actress, y'know.

Shizuku: Yes, I want to become one. Just like Nakama Yukie-san...

Katori: Why not Takeuchi Yuko-san? (laughs)

Yagi Yuki INTERVIEW 3
(Official Website: http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/rose/index.html)

Q. How did you feel when it was decided you're going to play the role as Shizuku?
I was very happy. On the first round of audition, I didn't get to recite the lines perfectly, so I thought I didn't make it. But then they called me for the second round, and that time I got to recite the lines and acted smoothly, so I thought "It'll be great if they choose me". So I kept praying to God.

Q. What do you think of Katori Shingo-san?
I don't watch television much, so I didn't know what kind of person he is. But my friends in school, they all know who Katori-san is, and they all said to me, "Sugoi ne!"(that's so cool!) (laughs). But from the first time I met him, I think he's a great person. Just only by a few times talking to each other, we got along well immediately. During filming breaks, he taught me Trump Magic. It was such a cool magic, so I showed it to my family at home, but I failed and they found out the trick. (laughs)

Q. What kind of girl is Shizuku?
She's really mature. Especially when she talk to daddy (Eiji) and master (Shigo = Terajima Susumu), she looks like an adult. I enjoyed acting as Shizuku, a different character than myself.

Q. Is it hard to memorize the lines?
Yes. Today's line is also pretty long, so I was so nervous coming to the studio, thinking, "I should not forget the lines,". I always memorize the lines by reading it once, then turnover the script and try to recite without looking at it. Then I make sure whether or not it's right. If its not, I'll do it once again, until I memorize it. When I've memorized it, I'll ask my mom to be the other character and practice reading it together with me.

Q. In Episode 1, Shizuku kept wearing that hood, ne.
It was very hot. (laughs) It was alright for me to talk in the hood, but seem like other people couldn't hear me, so during the filming they kept telling me, "Talk louder, please". It was so troublesome when I had to wear the hood.

Q. In the drama, Shizuku draw pictures of "Chiroru" and Eiji-san, how about Yuki-chan, can you draw?
I also love drawing pictures! I draw pictures of the view around me, in daily life too. The pictures Chiroru and daddy, appeared in the drama, it was all drawn by me.

Q. Are you enjoying acting?
Yes. I'm really enjoying it. From now on, I want to try to act various kind of roles.
Last edited by yanie on Feb 8th, '08, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Feb 7th, '08, 18:52

thanks for the shizuku translations. She's so adorable!! I can't believe she works so hard as a 7 year old child. She'll be a great actress one day ^^;

voth

Post by voth » Feb 7th, '08, 23:57

yanie wrote: Episode 5 Synopsis
A big development in Episode 5 (broadcast on February 11th)!! Eiji heard from Naoya, that Mio's eyes can see again if she take surgery, but she cannot afford the surgery expenses. On top of that, there's a man who's willing to pay for the expenses if Mio agree to marry him. Eiji feels bothered when he heard this. What will Eiji do!? Of course, this is just a story made up by Naoya and Anzai. Anzai wanted to make Eiji give up a large amount of money for Mio, then make him shocked by telling him the truth about Mio.
Meanwhile, Mio has decided to stop the act and lying to Eiji, and is planning to transfer her father to another hospital, away from Anzai as far as she can. Does this mean Mio will tell Eiji the truth!?

Katori: "I think it's better if you watch again the previous episodes. Really, even in Episode 1 the characters had given hints already, they even have mentioned some things that will happen near the ending!"

Takeuchi: "Whenever people around him say, "You're such a nice person", Eiji's eyes will somehow move for a moment. When you see that, you might think, "Maybe he's not a nice person at all,". And if you look at kanojo's lonely face in the video letters, you'll suspect Eiji... However, to me, I still think Eiji is not a bad person!"

==END==

Another Episode 5 preview from TV Guide:

"Mio has determined not to lie to Eiji anymore, resign herself from the hospital director's plan and make herself disappear from everyone. But, Eiji also has his own determination. On Valentine's day, Eiji takes Mio on a date, to a classic concert. On the way home, they take a ride on a ferris wheel, and there... Eiji makes one confession...

yanie: 英治はプロポーズしちゃうかも~ *v*
Your synopsis of episode 5 makes me wonder (especially if I'm translating the Japanese correctly) how things will unfold ... including some of the stuff in the magazine articles (especially the part(s) about the ED/End video) ... crazy addictive Japanese programming :cussing:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 8th, '08, 06:21

Just my thoughts on how the story will go, after reading all the hints and spoilers for Ep5 (DO NOT read, if you don't want to know anything about Ep5, or my thoughts of what's gonna happen in the future):
Eiji and Mio MIGHT get married, anyway. Since Mio cannot let herself go from Anzai. And the story might go as far as Eiji and Mio being husband and wife, with the irony of... imagine your most trusted beloved wife and confidante, keeping secret a big lie, and then you find out about it. It'll make the story more depressing though x) [if this really happens, it'll remind me of one part in Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre, a chinese wuxia series, heheh...)
And also what Yagi Yuki-chan in the interview said, "I think daddy and Mio-san will get married,". There are 2 possibilities: either it was just purely her thoughts, OR she accidentally spit out something that will happen in later episodes :P

But then, in the end, I guess it's gonna be a sad ending, afterall. Coz Shingo himself doubted Eiji and Mio's happiness x) However from the way they talked about the titleback, it seem like that it's not gonna be a sad ending. So, I'm thinking... the ending would be....neither happy nor sad?
Whatever the ending is, I'm quite sure there will be roses arranged in rows in the flower shop, by the end of the story. So... maybe Eiji will stay alive. Not sure about Mio, though x)

Oh, starting Episode 5, the magazine articles also warn that there might be something going on between Ono-sensei and Naoya. Coz in this episode, Naoya was hit by some men, and Ono-sensei rescued him and bring him to her place. And don't think it was planned at all, coz Naoya's face was quite serious. If Ono-sensei and Naoya start to develop romance, I'm sure it'll effect Anzai's plan and things won't go as smooth as he expected to be.

It makes sense now, why Eiji and Mio's romance development is quite fast-paced :roll If Korea and/or Taiwan adapt this drama, it might go as lengthy as 30 episodes or so :P

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Feb 8th, '08, 14:38

Thanks very much for your answers about the scenario :)

I have another (and more trivial) question : in episode 2, Mio goes to a karaoke, and I definitely know the song played (at 35'16 approx), but can't find the title. I think it's the OP or ED of some other drama but…

Can someone help me on that? Onegai shimasu !

japysia

Post by japysia » Feb 8th, '08, 16:12

kiddygrade wrote:Thanks very much for your answers about the scenario :)

I have another (and more trivial) question : in episode 2, Mio goes to a karaoke, and I definitely know the song played (at 35'16 approx), but can't find the title. I think it's the OP or ED of some other drama but…

Can someone help me on that? Onegai shimasu !
The title is yokogao by aiko.It`s the theme song for hotaru no hikari.

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Feb 8th, '08, 17:59

Thanks very much, you are absolutely right !!! That's why I knew I knew this song !!!! But now, why dis they choose this particular title? Is there a joke intended? Or is it mere chance? I wonder… It seems that everything has a secret purpose in this series. By the way, in the same scene, am I wrong or the actor who played the head of the "artistic" dormitory in HanaKimi is playing the tambourine?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Feb 8th, '08, 18:09

You mean Nobuo? I dunno about the guy playing the tambourine but he was the guy who was at the "date gathering" and tried to hit on Mio but got rejected and he called her names.

He's been making a lot of appearances this season. I saw him in Negotiator too.

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Feb 8th, '08, 22:22

seirin wrote:You mean Nobuo? I dunno about the guy playing the tambourine but he was the guy who was at the "date gathering" and tried to hit on Mio but got rejected and he called her names.

He's been making a lot of appearances this season. I saw him in Negotiator too.
That's the guy, yes. There seems to be a shortage of "small" actors in Japan, even for diminutive roles, they cast reknown actors, it is quite strange… Maybe we will see Horikita Maki in ep 8 (lol)?

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Feb 8th, '08, 22:30

^^I would be thoroughly happy if Maki was in it :lol I dunno where she would fit in though... Why ep 8?

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Feb 9th, '08, 05:47

atskv9 wrote:^^I would be thoroughly happy if Maki was in it :lol I dunno where she would fit in though... Why ep 8?
Just kidding, in fact :) But, yes, some guest appearances would be great…

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Feb 9th, '08, 20:08

Oh my... At first I was all "oooh, this is gonna be so easy to guess" "there won't be much to the plot"
But now... it's killing me! Absolutely killing me. I'm glued to the damn screen. Wonderful!
I'm so glad the ating still resembles my thoughts.

rahula

Post by rahula » Feb 9th, '08, 20:20

dude, different opinions, eh?
I'm gonna give it a try =D

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 10th, '08, 04:57

Takeuchi Yuko appeared LIVE in SmaStation last night, Katori Shingo's variety program. This is quite a long review with many screencaps, so in case most of you are not interested, I put this inside the spoiler box.

Takeuchi Yuko came to the show to promote her latest movie, "Team Batista no Eikou" with Abe Hiroshi, that premiere yesterday. But somehow they blurt things about "Bara no nai Hanaya" alot more than the movie :lol Interesting! And Shingo-Yuko's interaction is chummy, they look like a pair of hometown buddies^^

I love their unison gestures!

ImageImage

ImageImage
1-min UraSma before the show...
Shingo: Tonight's guest is Takeuchi Yuko-san! *acting Mio and Eiji* Ohanaya-san.... (looking down) hai....

ImageImage

The LIVE starts...
Shingo: Mina-san, good evening. This is Katori Shingo. Just earlier, it was snowing hard here in Roppongi! But I guess, it has subsided...it's raining now. There are thick layers outside, so everyone, please be careful when you walk outside. By the way, tomorrow I have drama filming in outdoor location! I don't know what's gonna happen, but the crews must be in trouble right now...
Okay, so tonight is Best 30 Anime Heroine. My most favorite anime heroine is Mine Fujiko [*of Lupin]. I like Fujiko the most. So, let's see how's the ranking gonna go...
And tonight's guest is my co-star in the drama I'm doing at the moment, and tomorrow I'll do the filming together with her too, in the outdoor location. She's the heroine... that I adore.... *looking down*

Oshita: We introduce to you, Takeuchi Yuko-san!!

Yuko: Good evening, good evening!

Shingo: So, this is your first time in SmaStation. You know, when my co-stars come to this show, it usually makes me nervous...

ImageImage

Yuko: I see. You look different, ne...
Shingo: Different?
Yuko: Yes, you don't look like the person who says "ore wa iin da"(I'm okay/you don't have to concern about me) now... *laughs*
Shingo: *acting Eiji* Ore wa... iin da....
Yuko: *laughs out loud*

Shingo: Tomorrow, we'll do filming together too, in outdoor location...
Yuko: Yes, yoroshiku onegaishimasu.
Shingo: With all the snow, I'm not sure, though...
Yuko: *smile and nods*
Shingo: Okay, so its Anime Heroine Best 30. Who is Takeuchi-san's favorite anime heroine?
Yuko: My favorite is Oscar from "Rose of Versailles", ne...
Shingo: Aa~ it has "rose" in it.... *looking away*
Yuko: *laughs* Ah, you're right~
Shingo: You didn't mean it that way?
Yuko: Well...
Shingo: So, from before, you already liked Oscar, ne... What do you like from her?
Yuko: Well, her character...
Shingo: The gold hair, right?
Yuko: Yes.
Shingo: Though I've always wanted to watch Rose of Versailles, somehow I never get the chance....
Yuko: It's a love story of a woman who disguise as a man...
Shingo: Mmm... Oshita-san, how about you?
Oshita: I like Ayuhara Kojire from "Attack No. 1".
Yuko: Ah, yes...
Oshita: *nervous-mode* So you know? Ah, yokatta (I'm glad)! It was an old one...
Shingo: What... you know, you don't have to act like that... really, it's okay! Relax!
Yuko: *laughs*
Oshita: *laughs* I'm sorry, it's just that... it's just that... to see the two of you standing side by side like this... it feels "WHOA~!", really!
Shingo: Oshita-san!
Oshita: *laughs* Sorry, sorry....
Shingo: Oshita-san! This is TV Asahi!!
[note: haha, seem like Oshita-san is a big fan of Bara no nai Hanaya :lol ]

Oshita: Yes, alright then! Let's start the rank of Anime Heroine Best 30!

Shingo: Let's start the show, and this is a live show from Roppongi Hills together with Takeuchi Yuko-san! Ohanaya-san...

Shingo-Yuko: ....hai...

=Best 30 Anime Heroine VTR=

During the #12 rank, Hanamura Benio from the anime "Haikara-san ga Toru"[Miss Modern], the girl fall off of the tree and the male lead character catch her and carry her in his arms, just like how Eiji carry Mio in the end of Bara Ep2^^ In Japanese, this type of carry is called "Ohime-sama Dakou"(Carrying A Princess). On this anime scene... Shingo blurt out...

Shingo: Aaa~ ohime-sama dakou!
Yuko: Ohh, this is so dramatic...
Shingo: In Shinjuku?
Yuko: *laughs* No, no, no.... that's a different one!

When they were watching the VTR, Shingo and Yuko turned to each other quite alot and talked, commenting the anime scenes. Looks like they really clicked, sugoi.

=End of VTR=

Yuko: Wow, there are so many of them released before I was born, but somehow I know all of these.

Shingo: I see, yeah, many of them were before Takeuchi-san was born, ne. For me, I think I know all of them. Then, Mine Fujiko! #2! As expected from Fujiko, ne... that Service Cut #2... she came on full-nude!

Yuko: Makes you feel like "waa~" *covering her eyes* ...ne?

ImageImage

One of the mail coming from a fan, asking "Takeuchi-san, have you ever cried watching anime?"

Yuko: Yes! I cried watching "Hotaru no Haka"(Grave of Fireflies)...
Shingo: Aaah~~
Yuko: When Setsuko about to eat the candy... it was like, "No... please, give me a break~"..
Shingo: Hotaru no Haka ne... y'know, I really can't watch that again. It's like "I had enough, I know the story already, there's no way, I can watch that again..."

ImageImage

Yuko: It's hard to re-watch it, ne!
Shingo: "Setsuko..." when the older brother said that... then Setsuko went, "here, the candy..."... it was ahhh... Y'know when I heard the question just now, I immediately thought of "Hotaru no Haka" too...

ImageImage

Yuko: Oh really? I'm sorry...
Shingo: Apparently, you gave the same answer...
Oshita: Oh, as expected....

Shingo: Speaking about Ghibli anime, in the anime "Mimi wo Sumaseba"[Whisper of Heart], I loved the leading character's name, it's Sukishima Shizuku... Shizuku, and now... it's Shizuku right? My daughter's name... so I felt really happy. Actually a fan sent me a letter and mentioned about this, that my favorite name was Shizuku from Mimi wo Sumaseba, and I just realized about that!

Yuko: Ohh....that's nice...

Shingo: Anyway, Takeuchi-san... you've been doing alot of movies lately, is there any role from anime you want to do?

Yuko: Actually, it'll be great if I can do Fujiko-chan someday... but I guess I don't have that dynamite body...

Shingo: Fujiko-chan!?? Full-nude, y'know!!!

Yuko: *laughs out loud* No, no, no!!! I won't do that!! That's impossible! Never!

Shingo: *acting Fujiko's running scene* You'll be running like this, full-nude on the sand...

Yuko: *laughs* No, no....

Shingo: Actually, Yuko-chan... there were many characters just now, suitable for you, y'know.
[note: I was kinda surprised, that he suddenly called her "Yuko-chan" here, whereas he called her "Takeuchi-san" before that since the beginning of the show. Seem like he accidentally, just naturally blurt that out. Maybe that's how he really calls her daily :lol ]

Yuko: Really?

Shingo: Yeah... like, Shizuka[*of Doraemon] there...

Yuko: But then I also have to be nude in the bathroom when Nobita-san accidentally saw her right?? *laughs*

Shingo: Ah yes... just a bit of the back part, though....

Then Shingo said that he always wanted to play the role as Son Gokuu of the Dragonball anime. He heard there's a Hollywood adaptation of the movie now, and that Son Gokuu's character has been changed to a college student. Shingo said, he become really worried when he heard that xD [frankly me too! I don't think I'm gonna watch that Hollywood adaptation... it'll wreck my image of my #1 fave anime >_<]

Next they talked about Yuko's new movie, "Team Batista no Eikou" that just premiere today. Shingo said he watched it already, he thinks it was really interesting and his most favorite part was Abe Hiroshi's certain scene.
Actually I've watched it too! :lol And yes, it was pretty good, loved both Takeuchi Yuko and Abe Hiroshi in it... quirky characters. Yuko's character was alot different than Mio^^

Yuko: There are many riddles in this movie...
Shingo: Yes... just like riddles of... what's gonna happen to Shizuku... who was Eiji...
Yuko: Oh, you're going there...?

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Feb 10th, '08, 13:12

thanks yanie for the caps.
I wasnt sure if I should go out last night coz I wanted to watch it. but I did anyways...
I hope someone will make it available to download....
but anyways, Im pleased coz I saw your caps and read the conversation. so thanks a lot!

voth

Post by voth » Feb 10th, '08, 14:25

hadmish wrote:thanks yanie for the caps.
I wasnt sure if I should go out last night coz I wanted to watch it. but I did anyways...
I hope someone will make it available to download....
but anyways, Im pleased coz I saw your caps and read the conversation. so thanks a lot!
I'll second that request.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Feb 10th, '08, 22:04

Yanie-san...great big hug from me for you lovely screen caps and detailed translation! So grateful and I read every line with a huge smile..even without having the actual clips i still managed to imagine the show in my mind...how yuko-san and shingo-san talked..haha!!

Yes it'd be GREAT if someone could make the clip available download!!

But to make this post relate back to Bara...I gotta to say...CAN'T WAIT!! Only a few hours to go!

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Feb 11th, '08, 12:59

Ahhhhh~~~ the print photos!!!!*v*

In each episode, I always feel happy with Eiji-Mio's relationship development, but then also feel so much pains! :cry:
Anzai's suggestion to Mio, so that she can meet Eiji from now on, and how she don't have to lie anymore ......... is CRAAAAAZY!!!!!!! He's seriously an evil doctor!!!! >_<

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Feb 11th, '08, 13:23

Good, yet cruel episode.

I like that the chinks in Anzai's armor are showing a bit...

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Feb 11th, '08, 14:28

Yanie-san thank alot....