[Discussion] Edison no Haha

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
kero_kerberus

[Discussion] Edison no Haha

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 21st, '08, 02:48

the below info is taken from dramawiki...

Synopsis
The series focuses on Ayukawa Noriko, the teacher of a class of first-graders. One day, a boy named Kento transfers into her class from another school, where he was treated as a problem child. In reality, the inquisitive Kento actually displays potential as a prodigy, and it's up to Noriko to figure out how to handle him. The story draws inspiration from the childhood of famous inventor Thomas Edison, who was also considered a problem child by most adults around him.

Cast:
* Ito Misaki as Ayukawa Noriko
* Sakai Maki as Aoi
* Tanihara Shosuke as Miho
* Shimizu Yuya (清水優哉) as Kento
* Sugita Kaoru as Mizuki
* Matsushita Yuki as Kagami
* Tanaka Yoji
* Hosoda Yoshihiko
* Ito Masayuki
Last edited by kero_kerberus on Feb 6th, '08, 01:15, edited 2 times in total.

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jan 21st, '08, 02:54

If you can find me a streamed link for the raw and tell me what time it's at, I might be able to you help you out. I've taken through Differential Equations in college/university.

Also, since you're the first one to create a thread for this drama, you might want to fill out your first post a bit with some information about the drama and a picture or two, i.e. use all the info from the Drama Wiki http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Edison_no_Haha

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 21st, '08, 15:24

Changes make
Last edited by kero_kerberus on Jan 23rd, '08, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

orichan

Post by orichan » Jan 21st, '08, 16:56

Oh Good. So I am not the only one who watches this show. ^_^;

If I am not mistaken, if you are talking about the paradox illustrated by Plato and Socrates calling each other liars, then it's the Liar Paradox. Generally taught when you are studying philosophy or if you are studying wonderful things like discrete math and logic (I assume that's the reason why the prof knows it).

I am secretly rooting for professor to end up with the mother. I think they would make a funnier couple (plus their personality matches better) than the professor and the teacher even if the teacher is prettier.

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 22nd, '08, 04:38

Thank!! What about the second theorem for ep 2?

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jan 22nd, '08, 08:29

kero_kerberus wrote:Thank!! What about the second theorem for ep 2?
Hi, I'm also following the show on Subpig. It would really help us if you could just give the time where this second theorem appears :)

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 22nd, '08, 10:58

the time i am not sure...however, it was introduce by the nurse to kento. with the use of toilet paper, creating a band with on back of front.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jan 22nd, '08, 14:37

kero_kerberus wrote:the time i am not sure...however, it was introduce by the nurse to kento. with the use of toilet paper, creating a band with on back of front.
Ah, that should be the Mobius strip, made with gauze, not toilet paper.

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 22nd, '08, 15:12

i see i see ^^

where do you all come across this stuff they are so interesting...

orichan

Post by orichan » Jan 23rd, '08, 03:37

You never heard of mobius strip before?

It's something that often show up in kids' IQ books... and then you kind of forget about it until much later when you see it again in university math class.

I saw both the Liar Paradox and mobius strip in a discrete math course. ^_^;

I love shows with intelligent puzzles like this. This is the first show I find interesting since Liar Game.

PS By the way, you should clean up the coding for your info post a bit. The img tags are in the wrong places so the pictures are not showing up.

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jan 23rd, '08, 04:46

I did a bit of mobius strip work back in calculus...

I think the info stuff should probably be moved to the first post as it's nice to see when you first go into the thread, along with the img tags.

Ehh I'm still not sure if I will watch this drama. I used to be a huge Misaki fan but I dunno. If I have time and it's good...

orichan

Post by orichan » Jan 27th, '08, 16:42

Episode 3 came out via superpig.
Poor teacher. She got into trouble because of him. I feel kinda bad for her for the first time ever I think.

The president of the school is so cool! Won't break under pressure.

Okay, seriously, that prof needs to end up with the mother! He would make the coolest father for that kid possible! He seems to already be in love with her (haha with the fast heartbeat and everything + the skipping at the end of the show lol).

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 29th, '08, 11:17

This week is about law of nature.

keita so cute, think of his experiment even sleeping and fall back to sleep again, like a true inventor.

keita real dad is useless...ran away because he dun have the patient to answer all of keita question.

the old keita become a teacher...lol... look evil, that new teacher.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Feb 4th, '08, 18:14

I just finished the first ep.
ah.. that kid's inquisitive nature kinda gets to me. I'm an impatient person (thank goodness I'm not a teacher)
hm... as for 1+1... I'm not satisfied with the answer
when he started splitting the stuff, it's not more pieces, but they're smaller....I would have tried to explain fractions to him. hehe.. that'll be tough too, but telling a kid that 1+1 = 2 just because isn't really the answer for me.

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Feb 5th, '08, 12:09

ep 4 topic
Human basic right.

The asst. prof give the best answer ba. however, the current world education still contain propaganda here and there. There a drama called the "Queen's classroom", it show an idealism and extreme education method( one of the ideal way) but the current world and society will never accept that as throughtout the generation of current education, most present adult mindset is programme that way just like the adult in the show.

i heard this from somewhere and find it most idea for an education. ( but it not possible)
- balance in strength (physical) and knowledge (mind), look beyond current studies, wise not to indulge in its comprehension and does not allow one to be indolent.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Feb 5th, '08, 12:45

Watched 3 eps so far:
You know, I expected that the storywriters by this time would have introduced some change or another in Ayukawa-sensei's attitude and strategy towards Kento - maybe giving him extra tuition on things he's interested in after school - but NO, not only is she still clueless about his special needs, she still calls on him in class, and gets surprised when she has to do crowd control later! Um...

And I know this is not the actor's fault, but I'm beginning to find Kento very irritating. Not that he wasn't already irritating back when he denied that 1+1=2. Putting aside the possibilities where 1+1 may not be 2, the kid clearly knows his simple arithmetic, and if he didn't realize Ayukawa was only trying to start from the basics with the other slower kids, well he should have. Seems like the adults around him come in two extremes: either they love him and everything he does, or they can't stand having him around. The only guy who appreciates his genius is himself so childish he wouldn't know about things like this.

Phew, OK, that was a longer rant than I planned. Anyone has other thoughts on this drama so far?

orichan

Post by orichan » Feb 5th, '08, 16:29

Would I want to deal with a kid like Kento in real life? No.

Do I like Kento in the show? Yes.

The show is supposed to be about a "troucle child" who most teachers would want to strangle to death. Kento is supposed to be a trouble maker, he is not supposed to be your normal cute/nice kid. He is supposed to be overly curious and someone who thinks way outside the box. So I don't find him irritating. I find him in his role.

I wish I can think ouside the box like him. If I do, then at least some of my profs would think highly of me.

Same thing goes with the assistant prof.

I would hate to have him as a prof. But I love him in the show because I find him funny.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Feb 6th, '08, 05:49

lol i wouldn't want to be in his class either. I have a feeling he'll be one of those ppl in the class that ask irrelevant questions.. who makes the class behind.

To me he's asking a lot of "why" questions. i've done that so much when i was a kid that my parents got so annoyed with me.
Now I've become one of those people that are too afraid to look stupid so I don't ask the question if i don't understand something. I just accept them as they are (partly i'm too lazy to go through the derivation of theorems)
In some ways I wish i was more like him, one who isn't afraid of how people perceive him.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Feb 6th, '08, 05:58

anyone would like to help in subbing edison? the translator is quite busy, so if anyone could help him with the translation that would be great :)

thanks~

orichan

Post by orichan » Feb 12th, '08, 03:51

Finally saw ep4.

Not a bad episode. The kid is such a good reader.

I wish I have time to help out... but my marks dropped a whole grade after LG.

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Feb 17th, '08, 17:20

sorry, cant help as i can read or understand jap... but still like to watch. sorry

lzydata

Post by lzydata » May 1st, '08, 16:27

OK, so I realize not many people are hanging around here anymore now that the drama's all finished - or I should say there weren't many people even when it was showing :mrgreen: As some of you may know, I took over the soft subbing starting from ep3. Well, I've just finished ep10! (Furransu should be uploading it soon.) So, if you've let this drama lapse because there were no subs, why not continue? I think you'll find it worth the while, especially if you liked the earlier few episodes.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_57631.htm

Some thoughts on the series as a whole:
Story, writing: In some ways this was such an ambitious drama. I don't think you'll see any other Japanese drama, or any TV drama anywhere, attempt to bring in Poincaré's conjecture, for instance, not to mention all the attention to the state of the educational system. And having subbed this, which means having watched every episode and many of the important scenes multiple times, I've also realized how much care was taken to connect whatever's going on at the moment with what happened before, and sometimes with future events too.

Unfortunately, for all its ambition in story material and its skill in making the drama an organic whole, it still resorts to clichés like the mad professor stereotype; if you watched this show you'd think all mathematicians are nuts and even those all-purpose, no-specialty professors like Miura are a little 'off.' I'm not sure if Oosugi Ren meant to make his character look like a complete nutcase, or if he was just directed to do so. Several times the science or the maths just doesn't work out, as I've pointed out in the Notes. Second, the show's agenda is clearly to celebrate the spirit of curiosity, inventiveness and (occasionally) breaking the rules, with Ayukawa set up as the voice of reason and social order explaining why she can't allow everything for Hanafusa Kento. This dichotomy works pretty well, especially when it's personified between Miura and Ayukawa, but it gets really preachy and routine to see the teachers gather round in the staff room and delivering the "lesson of the week regarding the educational system." Most of it well-said, all of it well-intentioned and interesting, but it's not your typical drama plot, and it can get a bit grating.

Acting: Ito Misaki has a talent for playing loserish women, whether it's the kabe onna in Yama onna, kabe onna or Ayukawa here. (Actually, they're so similar I confused them a bit, expecting Sasano Takashi to ring Ayukawa up and she spouting her Aomori dialect. It doesn't help that Tanihara Shosuke was in both shows too.) One of the highlights of Edison no Haha every week is seeing her distressed face when Kento makes trouble again. I don't know if this is her best role yet - maybe that's reserved for Hermes in Densha Otoko - but this may be her most sympathetic and endearing one in a while.

I thought Kagami-sensei's role could be better served. She's quite high-strung, one moment being all-businesslike and taking the lead in dealing with trouble when Ayukawa or the principal don't, but on the other hand so weak that she practically begs people to console her about her husband (ep3 & ep10); most of the time she is just the confident and responsible senior teacher, even if not passionate. I think I said before here that I didn't like Miura all that much either - up to the end he's still as obnoxious and self-centred as ever. Kubo the junior teacher may slack - he has a freeter's mentality about his job - but he doesn't make you hate him at all for it.

(I realized I missed out Sakai Maki! who's no. 2 to be credited and is the eponymous "Edison's mother." But her character's pretty set in stone from ep1 to 10, so I guess there's not much to say.)

The children's acting could be better - everyone's, even Shimizu Yuya who plays Kento. But that's alright; they're supposed to be 1st graders after all. Most of his lines were probably gibberish to him.

Sugita Kaoru as the Aoyagi mama ROCKS. Need I say more?
Lucky find: Tanaka Youji, who plays the bow-tie-wearing "can't we just get along?" principal, turns out to have a blog, and he has some posts on Edison no Haha with many photos. If you can read Japanese it should be more interesting, like about the uchiage (winding-up party for cast and staff) beginning at an absurdly early 5pm so the kids could go home at 8pm.

http://babibox.blog78.fc2.com/blog-category-28.html

vee-jer

Post by vee-jer » May 1st, '08, 16:45

Thanks for the post, izydata. This was actually one of the shows I most eagerly wanted to watch last season, and I was somewhat saddened when the subtitle creation was not picked up strongly. I was elated when you picked it back up in episode 3, and yes, I am eagerly waiting for the culmination of this series in ep 10. I bow before you for your hard owrk, and yes, for your extensive notes on many aspects of the translation, and the show overall. javascript:emoticon(':salut:')
salut

lynchmob72

Post by lynchmob72 » May 2nd, '08, 19:29

Wow, i guess many of you were unimpressed, but i think ithe ending was very well done, .... for what this series is. I really hope they are planning a second season. Seems many of you think this was focused on the teacher, but that is not really the case. Her role in this drama was important, but the main point was kento and his mother..... hence the title. :)

hikarulover
Columbia

Post by hikarulover » Jun 9th, '08, 04:32

Edison no haha has been nominated as best TV dramatic series in Monte-Carlo TV Festival:
http://www.tvfestival.mc/2008/en/nomines/drame/

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jun 9th, '08, 06:12

hikarulover wrote:Edison no haha has been nominated as best TV dramatic series in Monte-Carlo TV Festival:
http://www.tvfestival.mc/2008/en/nomines/drame/
I'm amazed that they saw fit to nominate Edison alongside shows like Heroes, Lost and The Sopranos. Astonishing :mrgreen:

sajerla

Post by sajerla » Sep 23rd, '09, 17:00

izydata really made a data out of this series, *err...okay, lame joke*
anyway ur review is soo true, couldnt describe it better myself. uve nailed it. then again of course! u subbed it! thanks
love this series, i know im late, but even without tht much ikemen in this drama, i finished it!!!
those kids are quite fun to watch and theyre totally being kids, which is kinda cute XD