[discussion] Saito-san

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Milano

[discussion] Saito-san

Post by Milano » Jan 27th, '08, 14:10

I think this drama is pretty good because shows many of the ugly aspects of the japanese society.

For example, why a councilman's son should be untouchable? Why the school directors are so coward? Why the mothers prefer to be silent if their children are targeted ?
In ep. 3, Saito-san find that the gang is painting with sprays the kindergarten. Why doesn't use her phone to make a video evidence of the fact? And the spray cans are full of their finger imprintings, it's not sufficient to call the police?
In ep. 2 the gang caused trouble at the kindergarten exhibition. There were the "security", two stupid old guards that can't evend stand on foot. Nobody thought to film the scene with a camera or a mobile phone. :cussing:
In a country like this, I think that the crime will spread very fast in the future. :pale:

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Jan 27th, '08, 16:27

Well, I agree it's weird that she doesn't think about the mobile phone because japanese people do that all the time.
But I don't agree about crime spreading fast in japanese society. I've been living here for a while now and it's so peaceful in Japan that it's really stressful to spend some time in Europe now.

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 28th, '08, 17:35

you should try Singapore then. the police is very effective and making it quite a safe environment.

i think this drama, show how the mindset of their adult. and how it contribute to the younger generation upbringing

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jan 31st, '08, 14:29

I've been enjoying the show.

And, as for what's above... it's a drama... of course common sense goes out the window.

I was surprised that Alisa did the theme song.. it's been a while since she's released music.

But, she's just in another suiting role.

It's a nice (exaggerated) look at society... I'm especially interested in the way they're presenting the mothers... none of them are inherently bad... none of them abuse Saito or Mano... it's a fairly realistic look into the strange relationship people here in Japan have with one another.

Anyhows, last night's episode was all right... I'm rather looking forward to next week.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Feb 9th, '08, 02:18

Found an article on the drama

Dramatization of 'Saito-san' manga about dueling kindergarten moms off to a brilliant start

Wm. Penn / Yomiuri

Saito-san, based on the manga by Yua Oda, it is social commentary that explores the comforts and constraints of group conformity and the challenge of doing the right thing in the face of the entrenched status quo.

Saito-san (Arisa Mizuki) is a 30-year-old woman raising her kindergarten son alone while her husband works overseas. Outspoken and with an indefatigable thirst for justice, playing by the rules and not overlooking wrongdoing, she is ostracized by the other mothers.
While she could display a little more finesse, she almost always does the right thing and she would make a loyal friend for Wakaba Mano (Mimura), a nervous newcomer desperate for the acceptance she failed to achieve in her old neighborhood. Mano knocks herself out baking cookies and generally trying to ingratiate herself, but she spurns Saito-san's friendship and her warning that she is trying too hard and losing sight of herself and her son in the process.

Yes, we are back in the world of kindergarten moms. There are only two men in the cast--Mano's husband, supportive but seldom home, and the wimpy, irrelevant kindergarten principal. But this series is considerably different from last season's kindie comedy Abarenbo Mama. In Saito-san, the foray into the world of women's relationships goes a little deeper, a little darker. It's a little more like real life with some definite thought-provoking messages for viewers hidden behind the usual portrayals of sports day preparations and suburban neighborhood tiffs.

Reiko Takashima plays Ritsuko Mikami, the head of the mother's group. Their children run wild in the local coffee shop while they produce a tsunami of gossip (mostly about Saito-san). Yet they are not inclined to make any other waves, thus preserving the flawed and rigid status quo. This cheery mothers' network communicates and controls itself through cell-phone e-mail. They warmly welcome Mano, praising her baking skills and offering their friendship. She feels happy and accepted at last until she overhears them gossiping about her. They say she has a lot of nerve moving her child into the school in the middle of sports meet preparations and admit they never ate her cookies.

By the end of Episode 1, Mano has realized it is Saito-san who would really make a loyal friend, especially after she stands up for her son when a careless smoker singes his face with a cigarette. Saito-san's reward for her intervention is to be pushed into a row of bicycles by the guy. When Mano later asks about her bravery, Saito-san admits she was afraid but she is more afraid of what happens if society doesn't stand up to those kind of people.

Mano gradually finds herself caught in the middle of the escalating confrontation between the group and Saito-san, but it is still too hard for her to give up the security of the group even though she knows the members are not sincere.

A very interesting aspect of Episode 1 was how the community allows itself to be cowed by the family of the local city councilman, whose teenage son rampages through the neighborhood on his bike. His wife decrees there should be no music at the kindergarten sports meet as it is practice test day at the son's nearby high school. A sports meet without music is ridiculous, Saito-san argues and asks: Besides what about all the noise he makes at election time coming around in his loudspeaker truck yelling, "Vote for me," over and over again? Lines like that take this series one rank above the usual fare. A three-star start!

minamichan03

done...

Post by minamichan03 » May 30th, '08, 16:27

i'm actually done watching this drama...
though i liked the story very much,i didn't much get the part of the last episode where saitou san when to the court and said something to the mayor...
i didn't understand the thing they were fighting for aside from the issue that there would be no more kobato kindergarten and they wouldn't be able to enter kobato elementary... haiss..

anyways,liked the stoyry!! hehe ...
i didn't expect that saitou would really go to africa... :cry:

badcompany

Post by badcompany » Sep 28th, '10, 03:11

Anyone else find this drama absolutely infuriating to watch?

saayan

Post by saayan » Sep 28th, '10, 05:45

badcompany wrote:Anyone else find this drama absolutely infuriating to watch?
Then you probably won't be excited about the sequel that's maybe possibly coming out this winter. XD

badcompany

Post by badcompany » Sep 29th, '10, 08:44

Think it's safe to say I'll be steering way clear of it. :D