[Discussion] Last Friends - Nagasawa Masami/Ueno Juri/Eita

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
haruko17

Post by haruko17 » May 10th, '08, 20:45

soo, as of yet (i think). no one has talked about the fact that
ruka went to the hospital for counseling about gender identity disorder. another sign that she might become FtM.

xmiyax
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xmiyax » May 10th, '08, 22:25

you guys I can't stop singing "I’m a prisoner of love Prisoner of love Just a prisoner of love"
it's Always on My Mind I think I'm cursed. :pale:

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 10th, '08, 22:44

belleza wrote:The thing about Michiru's relationship is that she has to hit a "bottom" where she cannot accept the circumstances with Sosuke anymore, and decides to move out. So, in that sense, nobody can make Michiru make that step forward, and she has to consciously put herself over Sosuke.
Ruka and Takeru's approach to Michiru represent divergent reactions that men and women friendships have toward a DV situation, though in their situation, you see a gender reversal.

Ruka, as "male", wants to protect Michuru from Sosuke. Which implies that she's made a definitive judgment upon, in her view, Sosuke as a "threat" (in other words, she's put a label on Sosuke) to Michiru and that Michiru must get away from the "threat." And she sees their domestic violence as a problem that must be solved, and that she must give advice Michiru so that she can avoid this, since it's "common sense" (judgment) that he's a "psychopath" (label).

Takeru, as "female", wants Michiru to change or understand her relationship with Sosuke. Takeru does not assign a judgment on Sosuke, but he sees their relationship as extremely dangerous to Michiru's welfare. In his limited time with Michiru, Takeru tries to facilitate Michiru to go through the process of evaluating her present situation as well as her relationship with Sosuke (much larger issues going on.) He's avoided giving advice and labeling Sosuke in front of her because he knows that Michiru will not open up around company, and therefore will not enter a dialogue whereby she can actually work through her issues. And he doesn't want her to view her friendships and relationships as "either/or" yet.

Neither approach is more correct than the other. But, the problem here is that Michiru has different expectations for Ruka when she was in the house. While it's true that Michiru would have eventually gone back to her apartment, Michiru shows through various parts of the episode that she's unsure whether she can talk to Ruka about this, and already in her mind, her predicament has already formed into "Ruka vs. Sosuke." That doesn't help Michiru work through her issues with Sosuke or resolve to leave him, and it seems that she very much wanted help in that throughout the episode.

My hunch is that Michiru's defensive nature will come out more aggressively through the 2nd half of the show. Because it also prevents Michiru from seeing the pain Ruka is going through, and how far Ruka will go to save her from that bastard.

Also, if Michiru and Takeru start getting closer (again, haven't seen Episode 5 . . . ), it'll be interested to see whether Takeru takes on a truly proactive role in Michiru's DV situation. That is, do we see Takeru remove himself from the role of impartial listener and become a protective male presence to fight against Sosuke. And if he does, how does Ruka adapt? Does she feel it marginalizes the help she gives Michiru, or does it free Ruka to take on a warmer, more affectionate/nurturing presence in their friendship. And in turn, how will it shift Sosuke's perspective.

So, a lot of politics and a lot of mixed messages.
I think we already know that 'rock bottom' in her case will result in a death of someone. ^^; But you're right about Michiru having the Ruka vs. Sosuke kinda mentality (Takeru is the only one everyone seems to be comfortable revealing their real selves to). It's becoming more obvious in episode 5.
sleepyzzz wrote:In episode 5, after the 'rape' scene when Michiru returns back to the Share House - did anyone notice that Ruka seemed to intentionally hold back from greeting Michiru? Even the camera is set on her just on that extra second. I think it's her trying to restrain the concern she has over Michiru - she doesn't want to appear to be jumping all over Michiru everytime she returns home - honestly, I think she's trying very hard...poor Ruka
Yeah, she's the only one that didn't said 'okaeri'. It's sad that Michiru feels that she has to lie to Ruka and everyone else(well, except Takeru since she feels that he won't judge). Ruka knows it too but yeah, she does seem to be trying hard to hold back on her concerns. Remember what she said at the end of ep4? That in trying to pull Sosuke and Michiru apart, the one to get hurt was herself. That could be one of the reasons and I think everyone agrees with her monologue in the episode, "Michiru, there's nothing else I can do. What's left is to wait for you to save yourself." What I like in the episode is how they show that even though she's the one who said it herself, she still struggle to not be over protective of Michiru. A good example would be the phone incident where she tells Michiru to throw it away(which I find quite reasonable if everyone were to get a heart attack whever the phone rings...). But then again, it's no different from what that DV guy would do. Ruka realizes that the second Michiru hesitantly said 'okay' and stops her. It's apparent that she's angry at herself for a complex mix of reasons here. I'll probably let belleza break it down later. Heheh. =3
belleza wrote: With that said, I'd really like Last Friends to move away from structuring each episode around Sosuke's "Attack/Stalk of the Week" and to tone down the thriller elements in the storyline. It was very well executed with the first 2 episodes, but the continuation of it without evolving discourse from and about Sosuke keeps the story locked into a Ruka vs. Sosuke "good vs. evil" turf battle (and it tends to turn their voiceovers into a clue hunt rather than private revelation.) That not only presents a caricature of Sosuke as the abuser, but it also creates personality inconsistencies in Juri's portrayal of Ruka (though Eita hasn't had the same issues with Takeru) and diminishes the presence of the other characters. Or to put it another way, Ruka's life isn't just Michiru, and her issues (and the height of her dreams) won't go away even if they were to get together. In creating such a strong rooting interest with her, we sometimes lose sight of the big arc of her life or the greater, jagged puzzle that includes the other roomies. In that sense, Last Friends still plays for me like two different dramas with different narrative arcs (coming-of-age vs. "Lifetime battered housewife" drama) competing for air time.
I think Michiru's story is pretty essential in growing Ruka's and the recent episode have been doing that but yeah, the thriller element should really be toned down. Don't think that's gonna happen though since we're already strapped onto the roller coaster ride from episode 1. We get to see more of Ruka's hopes and dreams through her conversation with Michiru during their 'sleepover'. I'm kinda interested when she mentioned that she wants to go to America to race. Would that be a clue to "how's the sky over there?" in Michiru's letter?
haruko17 wrote:soo, as of yet (i think). no one has talked about the fact that
ruka went to the hospital for counseling about gender identity disorder. another sign that she might become FtM.
Yes, then there's the whole visit to the doctor thing. Looks like my theory about it being caused by her confusion over her feelings for Michiru got thrown out of the window. ^^; If she already feels that she's in the wrong body since a child(and still feels that way), then the probability is high that she would consider a sex change...which is an even more controversial and harder issue to tackle. I salute the writers for adding gender identity disorder to the mix but they'd need some brilliant writing to pull this off successfully. (They did purposely let the doctor said something like some patients think they are but later they found out after counselling that it's not. Probably to open up the possibilities...) Well, what's really good is we did find out more about what Ruka really feels in this scene. The hardest thing for her is not being able to show her true self to the people around and having to lie to people that she cares about. At the bar/celebration party, she said that there's something that she wants to do after achieving her dreams and someday she would tell her dad. I assume it's about this issue so it would mean that any 'physical changes' won't occur anytime soon. It's a very long process anyway. They would have a lot of counselling sessions first. Still have some mixed feelings over the thought of having Ruka as a transexual... though I'm glad that at least this means that it won't be just focused on just her feelings for Michiru.

Well, I got teary at a few scenes. The one that really got to me was the last one. Michiru breaking Ruka(and my) heart again. I like the ballad(?) version of Prisoner of Love played in the background though it just adds to the sadness. T_T Overall another great episode. I 'll talk about other stuff in another post later. ^^

haruko17

Post by haruko17 » May 11th, '08, 01:09

^Yuuki wrote: Still have some mixed feelings over the thought of having Ruka as a transexual...
yeaa me too, not that theres anything wrong with that,
but i dunno i guess i just like ruka as a girl :D

AKlRA

Post by AKlRA » May 11th, '08, 01:18

jigenbakuda wrote:
GoddessCarlie wrote:
AKlRA wrote:I'll be honest,
I understand Sousuke, not the whole DV part, but guys do tend to be
VIOLENT either physically or mentally. Most guys want to break chairs, cups,
throw things, etc when they are ticked but it's called COMPOSURE. We learn to
let our mental state come first before the physical but guys are more PHYSICAL
naturally, as girls are more sensitive, naturally.
I think this is a load of crap. At least in my experience I'd say that guys are just as sensitive as girls and girls are just as physical as boys. That it is "natural" for guys to be violent is just a huge cop out. Don't try to justify bad behaviour with a chromosome.
Isn't that a bit harsh? In my personal experience boys in general are far more aggressive and violent than ladies. Even if the lady has anger issues (a man with anger issues is worse). Even at young ages, boys fight more, and are more confrontational, as men I know I would prefer to fight another man as opposed to talking out our differences, but thats illegal and I'll get taken to jail, so I conform. Have you ever really hung out with a group of guys that had absolutely no desire to "be" with you? You would see how guys are, lol. Guys are always on their top behavior infront of ladies they want to "be" with. All I'm saying is, in my experience, most of the males I have encountered in my life have been aggressive/violent. Maybe I have been around a special group of gentlemen in my life, lol. But I would say men DEFINITELY want to throw stuff and destroy things when they are pissed, at least I know I do. So I agree with akira.

Also girls are more sensitive naturally, thats why women make great mothers. Its a maternal "instinct" . But there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule. There are sensitive boys and aggressive girls... But if you say boys are not more agressive/violent than women, I would be willing to bet, you have never really been that close to that many guys non-romantically (non-romantic from their side of course).

Oh yea, yea, let me add that DV has VERY little to do with violence, its more mental than anything. Violence is in it, but its a mental thing. The mixed messages do more to mess up a DV victim than anything. Its like pledging a frat, they beat you and stuff, but its the mind that is feeling taxed, not the body, the pledging process is one to mess with the mind (although it usually involves violence).

lol, yeah i was just going to say, she probably doesn't have a majority of guy friends.
Besides I'AM a guy, pardon me cuz I could be wrong, but give me some credit for
actually knowing whats up in a guys world. I live in it.

I hate when people insert words in my comments.
I never said guys are genetically altered to BE violent to that of women.
I said they are "naturally" physical rather than sensitive.
Do girls throw a punch at their girlfriends when they have a fight?
No. What do you girls do? You scream and yell maybe, you talk it out.
When guys get in a fight, it's physical. Some guys are less confrontational, so they
are verbal instead.
When guys, albeit if they are not crazy violent, will definately not throw a punch
at their girlfriends because we are once again, COMPOSED.
We have mothers, we understand that women are different.
They are more sensitive so as a guy even though we hate their sensitivity at
times, learn to respect them bceause that is what a guy is supposed to do;
respect their women.
Sousuke doesn't seem like a strong person to me.
He seems like the kind of guy that would just stand there if he
was abused himself. Beating a woman is low for a man because
it represents that they are weak (physically and mentally).
Any guy who takes advantage of a girl or uses physical force on her, is a weak man.

Whatever the case is, I'm just sayin, guys have a natural tendency
to act that way.

Not to sound harsh, okay this will sound harsh but a guy who is more sensitive
than a girl, must either be gay or had been smothered by his mother's love all through
his life. (chill, half joking.)

AKlRA

Post by AKlRA » May 11th, '08, 01:23

yeah i mentioned on my first post that I had a suspicion of Ruka being a
hermaphrodite. It could just be a mental issue but I really am starting to think
that it may be the case.
And like I said earlier, it could be a reason why the camera pans to Ruka looking
at her own reflection in disgust, several times throughout the drama.

It may also be a reason why Ruka is so highly disgusted by men.
Perhaps she feels that she is neither male nor female and have no interest
in particularly any gender. The only reason she loves Michiru is because she is
her closest friend.

haruko17

Post by haruko17 » May 11th, '08, 02:12

AKlRA wrote:
yeah i mentioned on my first post that I had a suspicion of Ruka being a
hermaphrodite. It could just be a mental issue but I really am starting to think
that it may be the case.
And like I said earlier, it could be a reason why the camera pans to Ruka looking
at her own reflection in disgust, several times throughout the drama.

Perhaps she feels that she is neither male nor female and have no interest
in particularly any gender. The only reason she loves Michiru is because she is
her closest friend.
umm, did u mean hermaphrodite as in: a person having both male and female reproductive organs....?
i hiighly dought that is the case with ruka.
im pretty sure her parents would know that sort of thing about her, haha

Iatheia

Post by Iatheia » May 11th, '08, 02:25

haruko17 wrote: umm, did u mean hermaphrodite as in: a person having both male and female reproductive organs....?
Actually, you may not know if this is the case. Hermaphrodite may have all female reproductive organs, while aslo having internal or microscopic external male ones. At least, that's what I heard.

But, I would be very surprised if this actually was the case in this series. Dunno... Although, I would be glad if she, following this theory, transformed fully into a woman. Because else having transgender operation for her would be just creepy.

AKlRA

Post by AKlRA » May 11th, '08, 04:37

Iatheia wrote:
haruko17 wrote: umm, did u mean hermaphrodite as in: a person having both male and female reproductive organs....?
Actually, you may not know if this is the case. Hermaphrodite may have all female reproductive organs, while aslo having internal or microscopic external male ones. At least, that's what I heard.

But, I would be very surprised if this actually was the case in this series. Dunno... Although, I would be glad if she, following this theory, transformed fully into a woman. Because else having transgender operation for her would be just creepy.
Right, that is true.
I watched an episode of HOUSE M.D. once and they had a woman
who had a problem with over flow of testosterone and realized that she has
a small existing organ of a male body part, meaning she is a hermaphrodite.
I confirmed it with my cousin who is a medical student and he said that is possible
to not realize it until after the person hits puberty.
Whether Ruka's parents know are not, is not significant to the fact that it can't be true.
Her parents might know maybe they don't and if they do, it may be a reason why her
father is so understanding and supportive of Ruka. I'm sure Ruka is very sensitive
to that, IF IT WERE TRUE, and it seems like something about Ruka also triggers her
father to act sensitive towards Ruka's feelings.
Remember to consider that this is just my theory.
But it would make alot of sense compared to Ruka just wanting to become male.
She doesn't even act all that manly, despite her hairstyle and her somewhat guyish
way of speaking and protection of Ruka, she is 100% FEMALE to me
no matter what she says or does.
But then again, hermaphrodite maybe a little too strong of a theme for
a Japanese drama.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 11th, '08, 05:36

I guess you guys need to watch the sub version then. She's not intersex(as much as she or everybody know of themselves). Else she wouldn't have gone to seek counseling about gender identity disorder. Talking about how she hated wearing dresses even as a child, how she dislikes her own body and stuff like that. The counseling sessions would be a way for Ruka (and us) to understand herself better. Whether or not she would decide to have an operation or just accept how she is now, I guess we'll find out later.
No. She's not disgusted by men. She dislikes being 'touched like that' as she said in episode 4 when she broke down at Takeru's bar. Everyone would. But in her case, it had a more severe impact because of the whole gender confusion issue and the fact that she does not even feel comfortable with her own body. The anger and disgust was partly directed at herself there.
Last edited by ^Yuuki on May 11th, '08, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 11th, '08, 05:42

She was also frustrated at the fact that her coach refused to look at her as a "Racer" but merely a woman on a bike that races good. She was frustrated with all of that and that's also why she probably was angry at herself.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 11th, '08, 05:45

AKlRA wrote:
jigenbakuda wrote:
GoddessCarlie wrote:

I think this is a load of crap. At least in my experience I'd say that guys are just as sensitive as girls and girls are just as physical as boys. That it is "natural" for guys to be violent is just a huge cop out. Don't try to justify bad behaviour with a chromosome.
Isn't that a bit harsh? In my personal experience boys in general are far more aggressive and violent than ladies.

(sorry, cut to make my post not so large!)

lol, yeah i was just going to say, she probably doesn't have a majority of guy friends. Besides I'AM a guy, pardon me cuz I could be wrong, but give me some credit for actually knowing whats up in a guys world. I live in it.

I hate when people insert words in my comments. I never said guys are genetically altered to BE violent to that of women. I said they are "naturally" physical rather than sensitive. Do girls throw a punch at their girlfriends when they have a fight? No. What do you girls do? You scream and yell maybe, you talk it out. When guys get in a fight, it's physical. Some guys are less confrontational, so they are verbal instead. When guys, albeit if they are not crazy violent, will definately not throw a punch at their girlfriends because we are once again, COMPOSED.
We have mothers, we understand that women are different. They are more sensitive so as a guy even though we hate their sensitivity at times, learn to respect them bceause that is what a guy is supposed to do; respect their women. Sousuke doesn't seem like a strong person to me. He seems like the kind of guy that would just stand there if he was abused himself. Beating a woman is low for a man because it represents that they are weak (physically and mentally). Any guy who takes advantage of a girl or uses physical force on her, is a weak man.

Whatever the case is, I'm just sayin, guys have a natural tendency to act that way.

Not to sound harsh, okay this will sound harsh but a guy who is more sensitive than a girl, must either be gay or had been smothered by his mother's love all through his life. (chill, half joking.)
My closest friends are guys. I lived in a share house with three guys. I haven't lived with girls but I am one and I have stayed over girls houses. I've seen girls fight and I've seen guys fight. I've seen girls break down and cry and I've seen guys break down and cry.

Girls don't punch when having a fight? Huh! I would argue that i've seen more fist fights between girls than guys. In fact I would argue that YOU haven't been around women much. Girls and guys get just as angry as each other and show it in similar ways. I would argue that most people of sound mind would rather NOT be in a violent situation and actively try and avoid a situation becoming violent.

"natural" implies genetics, and is often used as an excuse "aww, he can't help that he hit her, it's only natural". I would argue that the perceived "violence" of men is because of this very excuse that "boys will be boys" - thus the behaviour is never corrected, and thus the cycle continues. My biggest beef with your statement is really that people use these kinds of statements as an excuse.

How are women different? I would like to think that those who have a caring mother would see them as people not as a gender. The way the genders have been defined are too rigid that most people don't fit neatly into the mould. Most people have femininity and masculinity, in different percentages. Thus Ruka's battle with her identity - she likes things seen as more masculine and thus she can be isolated from society. Her boss can't see past her gender, that she is a person. If genders were absolute she wouldn't be in this position. And does it matter that we "like her as a girl" because if Ruka was a man she would still be exactly the same person.

As for a guy having to respect women, cause that's "what a guy is supposed to do" - well done, that's awesome. Good to know you respect women because you are supposed to not because women are equal to men and should be treated like a human.
DV and violence is a touchy subject. violence is a touchy subject. objectifying women is a touchy subject. I'm sorry to have brought this all up, but sometimes it is better to make people question their views than sit back and watch everything perpetuate itself. How ever, I'm sure that you are going to dismiss everything I have said just the same way I dismissed everything that you have said, so I will drop it.

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » May 11th, '08, 06:17

I sincerely love the way this drama is sparking so much conversation, outside of the realm of the drama. We are discussing our views on so many subjects. I think this is the reason for this show, to have people discuss things, they would regularly, turn away from/ignore.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » May 11th, '08, 06:55

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 11th, '08, 07:03

jigenbakuda wrote:I sincerely love the way this drama is sparking so much conversation, outside of the realm of the drama. We are discussing our views on so many subjects. I think this is the reason for this show, to have people discuss things, they would regularly, turn away from/ignore.
Yeap. A lot of interesting insights come from this thread. The show is definitely breaking barriers. =3
Thus Ruka's battle with her identity - she likes things seen as more masculine and thus she can be isolated from society. Her boss can't see past her gender, that she is a person. If genders were absolute she wouldn't be in this position. And does it matter that we "like her as a girl" because if Ruka was a man she would still be exactly the same person.
For me, I have no problem with the gender she chooses to be or is. I'd still like her as a person. My only worry is how the show will execute this storyline but I'm pretty sure Juri can handle it. ^^

Suketeru's softsub is out as well(i kinda prefer hers over the other 2 so far). She haven't posted it in her LJ but she normally posts them earlier at http://community.livejournal.com/ryo_watch/ (gotta join first though)
Last edited by ^Yuuki on May 11th, '08, 07:15, edited 2 times in total.

AKlRA

Post by AKlRA » May 11th, '08, 07:06

GoddessCarlie wrote:
AKlRA wrote:
jigenbakuda wrote:
Isn't that a bit harsh? In my personal experience boys in general are far more aggressive and violent than ladies.

(sorry, cut to make my post not so large!)

lol, yeah i was just going to say, she probably doesn't have a majority of guy friends. Besides I'AM a guy, pardon me cuz I could be wrong, but give me some credit for actually knowing whats up in a guys world. I live in it.

I hate when people insert words in my comments. I never said guys are genetically altered to BE violent to that of women. I said they are "naturally" physical rather than sensitive. Do girls throw a punch at their girlfriends when they have a fight? No. What do you girls do? You scream and yell maybe, you talk it out. When guys get in a fight, it's physical. Some guys are less confrontational, so they are verbal instead. When guys, albeit if they are not crazy violent, will definately not throw a punch at their girlfriends because we are once again, COMPOSED.
We have mothers, we understand that women are different. They are more sensitive so as a guy even though we hate their sensitivity at times, learn to respect them bceause that is what a guy is supposed to do; respect their women. Sousuke doesn't seem like a strong person to me. He seems like the kind of guy that would just stand there if he was abused himself. Beating a woman is low for a man because it represents that they are weak (physically and mentally). Any guy who takes advantage of a girl or uses physical force on her, is a weak man.

Whatever the case is, I'm just sayin, guys have a natural tendency to act that way.

Not to sound harsh, okay this will sound harsh but a guy who is more sensitive than a girl, must either be gay or had been smothered by his mother's love all through his life. (chill, half joking.)
My closest friends are guys. I lived in a share house with three guys. I haven't lived with girls but I am one and I have stayed over girls houses. I've seen girls fight and I've seen guys fight. I've seen girls break down and cry and I've seen guys break down and cry.

Girls don't punch when having a fight? Huh! I would argue that i've seen more fist fights between girls than guys. In fact I would argue that YOU haven't been around women much. Girls and guys get just as angry as each other and show it in similar ways. I would argue that most people of sound mind would rather NOT be in a violent situation and actively try and avoid a situation becoming violent.

"natural" implies genetics, and is often used as an excuse "aww, he can't help that he hit her, it's only natural". I would argue that the perceived "violence" of men is because of this very excuse that "boys will be boys" - thus the behaviour is never corrected, and thus the cycle continues. My biggest beef with your statement is really that people use these kinds of statements as an excuse.

How are women different? I would like to think that those who have a caring mother would see them as people not as a gender. The way the genders have been defined are too rigid that most people don't fit neatly into the mould. Most people have femininity and masculinity, in different percentages. Thus Ruka's battle with her identity - she likes things seen as more masculine and thus she can be isolated from society. Her boss can't see past her gender, that she is a person. If genders were absolute she wouldn't be in this position. And does it matter that we "like her as a girl" because if Ruka was a man she would still be exactly the same person.

As for a guy having to respect women, cause that's "what a guy is supposed to do" - well done, that's awesome. Good to know you respect women because you are supposed to not because women are equal to men and should be treated like a human.
DV and violence is a touchy subject. violence is a touchy subject. objectifying women is a touchy subject. I'm sorry to have brought this all up, but sometimes it is better to make people question their views than sit back and watch everything perpetuate itself. How ever, I'm sure that you are going to dismiss everything I have said just the same way I dismissed everything that you have said, so I will drop it.

Whoah, getting a bit sensitive there are we?
im just messin, relax.

As long as you are human and are titled to either a MALE or FEMALE,
society will always view you as a MALE or FEMALE. (Society=majority)
Society will push down a guy and tell hiim, "grow some balls"
and may tell a girl, "its okay... THIS TIME."
It's just how this world has become.
Ruka obviously can't stand to be judged by gender, but as displayed
by her coach, a woman in society regardless of what they do or how they
present themselves, will always be viewed as a WOMAN. and vice versa with MAN.
It is what it is.

And yeah, this is a touchy subject, I understand.
But honestly, it can be about starving african children and i'll still put in my two cents
until the day i die.
(oh in case you need an example: i think donating to africa is useless.
not pointless, since there is a point, but it's useless. you save one kid, the others die.
save one kid is better than save no kid, right? because the world is fair right? right.)
oh sorry i brought that up lol, please don't start arguing africa now, just an example.

Elliah

Post by Elliah » May 11th, '08, 08:27

ok..so i just finished watching ep5 and i noticed in next week's preview takeru is running with a girl wearing an eyepatch...couldn't really see who it was though...does anyone know who that might be? (looks a little like michiru..though as i said..i really couldnt see clearly)

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » May 11th, '08, 08:36

Elliah: The girl with the eye patch is definitely Michiru - it looks like in Episode 5, even Takeru loses his calm composure. Hard not to!

Small small spoiler to Episode 5 and some speculation:
I'm not sure for what reason but I think Takeru goes to Sousuke's apartment and drags Michiru out of there. I think it might after seeing the patch on the eye...
Btw, one of my favourite scenes in Episode 4:
The part where Michiru admits to Takeru that she lied to Ruka - the point where she talks about how Ruka has liked someone for many years - did anyone notice the background music? I'm sure it's a new track that has not been used in previous episodes. The music was so touching - sounded very like S.E.N.S work. Everytime I watch that scene, I'm moved.
I can't wait till the soundtrack is out! Oh and I'm DEFINITELY getting the single of Prisoner of Love too. Like others here, I can't get enough of it. :D

JikokunoShuusennin

Post by JikokunoShuusennin » May 11th, '08, 08:50

This series is definitely becoming one of my favorites... although I really haven't watched that many JDramas. lol. Episode 5 was amazing... because the whole time, you're just hoping Ruka will blurt it all out!!

Amazing parallels between Takeru, and Ruka's characters.

... I can't wait for the next episodes!!! :goggle:

son2

Post by son2 » May 11th, '08, 08:53

preview on epi.6
it seems ruka gives flower to someone.
who is she/he??
i can't see the face.

JikokunoShuusennin

Post by JikokunoShuusennin » May 11th, '08, 09:06

son2 wrote:preview on epi.6
who is she/he??
i can't see the face.
KInda looks like Sousuke...
It could be another racer though, it's really hard to tell...

mutafaca

Post by mutafaca » May 11th, '08, 09:22

bmwracer wrote:Episode 5 subs are out: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_60626.htm :thumleft:
thank u~ :D

Rinnetensei

Post by Rinnetensei » May 11th, '08, 11:52

Is anyone else disappointed with the fact that Ruka may get a sex change? I really hope the series doesn't go there. I say that because I feel it would take away from her probably being gay. To the majority of Japanese viewers it would lessen the blow of Ruka's feelings towards Michiru. Kind of like an: "Oh, so she's really a dude inside? That's why she loves Michiru!"

Not a good move, as far as I'm concerned. This series needs to address homosexuality over gender identity.

BTW, anyone know what is going on with Kioku's subs?

marspeach

Post by marspeach » May 11th, '08, 12:05

Rinnetensei wrote:Is anyone else disappointed with the fact that Ruka may get a sex change? I really hope the series doesn't go there. I say that because I feel it would take away from her probably being gay. To the majority of Japanese viewers it would lessen the blow of Ruka's feelings towards Michiru. Kind of like an: "Oh, so she's really a dude inside? That's why she loves Michiru!"

Not a good move, as far as I'm concerned. This series needs to address homosexuality over gender identity.

Says on their site that the translator went on a trip for Golden Week. I think I'm going to delete those files anyway and download the softsubs because the blue font does not appeal to me. Which version is better, seri's or suketeru's?

Rinnetensei

Post by Rinnetensei » May 11th, '08, 12:09

marspeach wrote:
Rinnetensei wrote:Is anyone else disappointed with the fact that Ruka may get a sex change? I really hope the series doesn't go there. I say that because I feel it would take away from her probably being gay. To the majority of Japanese viewers it would lessen the blow of Ruka's feelings towards Michiru. Kind of like an: "Oh, so she's really a dude inside? That's why she loves Michiru!"

Says on their site that the translator went on a trip for Golden Week. I think I'm going to delete those files anyway and download the softsubs because the blue font does not appeal to me. Which version is better, seri's or suketeru's?
Golden Week has been over for almost a week now!!! I actually really like Kioku's font. But to answer your Q, I think Suketeru's translation is better. Seri's quicker though.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 11th, '08, 12:11

This series is definitely becoming one of my favorites... although I really haven't watched that many JDramas. lol. Episode 5 was amazing... because the whole time, you're just hoping Ruka will blurt it all out!!
Seriously, there are no boring moments in the show. Might be because of the thriller moments that just jumps out from nowhere. But the light and comedic moments are played really well too. I really like the idea of a share house like this. There's a sense of comfort and safety from how the characters portrayed it. A place one could 'come home' to no matter what they faced outside.

About Ruka, I think she's set on not telling Michiru anything about her feelings or her issue. At least not until she's become a 'stronger person' and able to stand proudly in front of the person she loves. The scene at the park with Takeru was one of the parts I like about episode 5. Then with Takeru saying in his monologue that he'll support and look after her no matter who she might love. In order to protect Ruka's smile. That's why at the end when Michiru said all those things about Ruka being a strong person and kinda have everything one would one, that unlike Ruka, she's a weak person that's why she can understand Sosuke's weakness, it breaks my heart even more. It's a little like that restaurant scene in episode 3. She's blind in regards to the person in front of her.
JikokunoShuusennin wrote:
who is she/he??
i can't see the face.
From the chest area, most definitely a girl. But who knows...heheh.
With the short hair, don't tell me it's Takeru's stalker/cookie baker? Haha. That's a stretch. ^^;

Takeru takes an active step in protecting Michiru huh? That should be interesting to see.

"Inside a woman's body, a man's heart. A monster." Whoa, I wonder who wrote that letter. Ruka herself?

"I sometimes don't understand Ruka" Yeah, of course not Michiru. In their relationship all these years, it's always been about Michiru and her problems. Even now...

The chronology are a mess though. Not sure which comes after which. But should be another interesting episode.
To the majority of Japanese viewers it would lessen the blow of Ruka's feelings towards Michiru. Kind of like an: "Oh, so she's really a dude inside? That's why she loves Michiru!"
That's one of my concerns when they started hinting about it from the 2nd episode. But I really don't think that it would lessen the impact any less. Something like gender identity disorder would be a harder and more of a taboo subject in Japan than homosexuality. From how they're handling it, it doesn't seem like just something the writers used to validate her feelings for Michiru. Ruka didn't even mentioned Michiru(yet) when the doctor asked why/when she started feeling that way. So it's not the main reason she's doing this. It's for herself. And they seem to be trying to handle it as real as they can be. What with Ruka going for medical counseling first instead of maybe flying to Thailand for example...lol, just kidding. Just seem that they've done their research. And Ueno Juri is playing the part very well that people can just feel what she feels by looking at her expression. All the conflicting emotions. Man~ About taking away the whole being gay thing, well, people just jumped to that conclusion after seeing her kissing Michiru...which is what someone would assume. But hey, there's already hints in episode 1 that her issue is deeper than that. So, in conclusion, I think I'm okay with it as long as it's executed well. It's unchartered territory as far as Japanese television is concerned so I'm definitely interested in how they'll develop this.

lomsie

Post by lomsie » May 11th, '08, 13:32

Well, when I was watching the first ep. and the opening came on, I thought Ruka was a guy at first, purely by appearances. Then I got a better look and thought, "oh.....OH!"

I wouldn't say that it would be a disappointment, it would make Ruka's life even more tumultuous, but I'm concerned with the way they will do it. It's coming on gradually now, but with time constraints on the drama, I hope they don't rush through the entire process, that is to say if that's even what they're going for.

And I have to say I didn't believe Souske's abusive nature at first. It came on really strong, really fast. I don't have experience with that, but I felt that it would have come on more stealthily, a slap to the face may be all he does for the first time, just to say "watch yourself" and that's it, before kicking her while she's down. But the way she handled it seems very believable.

This may be the best drama I've seen since "LIFE" I wonder how the Japanese TV viewing public will approach this. I know "LIFE" resonated with millions of school kids, so...hm....

Rinnetensei

Post by Rinnetensei » May 11th, '08, 14:44

It's interesting how when Ruka went to the counselor, she told him she had no romantic feelings towards anyone. Almost as if she were asexual. But it's pretty damn clear she loves Michiru more than just friends. Here's hoping she starts liking some other chick and can realize she is gay, gay gay!

I think it'd be a copout on this drama's part to just turn Ruka into a guy. I wanted LF to tackle what it's like to be a Japanese lesbian. Mostly cuz I know a lot of them here. It would be SO helpful to this society, far more so than addressing gender confusion. Believe me. A series like this could change the youth of Japan.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 11th, '08, 15:27

Rinnetensei wrote: I think it'd be a copout on this drama's part to just turn Ruka into a guy. I wanted LF to tackle what it's like to be a Japanese lesbian. Mostly cuz I know a lot of them here. It would be SO helpful to this society, far more so than addressing gender confusion. Believe me. A series like this could change the youth of Japan.
Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinions and it's obvious that some people aren't liking what Ruka's issue is turning out to be. I still don't think it's a cop out simply because they aren't taking the easy way with this and since it's obvious that it's been planned from the start(now I understand the symbolism behind Ruka's upside down position and having her wearing similar clothing like the other guys in the OP). Ruka is to be someone with gender identity disorder who happens to be in love with her best friend. While I agree that tackling the issue of being gay in Japan would be more 'helpful', I think the main issues and reactions that a transgender person would face are pretty similar. It's not like people would accept it easier if Ruka were to become a guy would it? In addition to being judged by the 'normal' people, she would also be judged by the gay community itself. So, I think it's best to just have an open mind on whatever they have in store for us...

Rinnetensei

Post by Rinnetensei » May 11th, '08, 15:36

Sure, of course I'll keep an open mind. But I'm still hoping Ruka's gender confusion is simply being caused by her being in Japan. Things are very cut and dried here. Even in the lesbian community there are only really butches and femmes. There's no middle ground and it's very disconcerting. One of my friends (an older Japanese female) told me she experienced the same gender confusion as Ruka when she was young. Turns out she's a lesbian tomboy and doesn't wanna actually be a boy.

LF has been written SO well thus far. Here's praying they don't F it up!!!

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 11th, '08, 17:47

lomsie wrote:And I have to say I didn't believe Souske's abusive nature at first. It came on really strong, really fast. I don't have experience with that, but I felt that it would have come on more stealthily, a slap to the face may be all he does for the first time, just to say "watch yourself" and that's it, before kicking her while she's down. But the way she handled it seems very believable.
Well, we still don't know their past history. Maybe has put his hands on her but it wasn't as extreme as it was now. Maybe he has done it before but because they weren't living together it wasn't much of a big deal because he probably made it up to her in a such a big way she forgot about it.

We still don't know how they met, when they m et, and for how long. We just know why they love each other.

Tomi

Episode 5

Post by Tomi » May 11th, '08, 18:16

Yes, Ruka had been looking at the options of what could possibly be a sex change, but I don't think that it will actually happen. I think apart of the reason why Ruka went to get counseling is because maybe she doesn't want to feel that way anymore? Maybe she doesn't want to feel things for women and she just wants to be what society considers as a "normal" straight girl? It's Japan afterall...such ideas are still barely accepted like many here have mentioned.

As for Michiru, people like her really bother me. Even if they have been through so much, Ruka and Takeru and all the people around her are providing so much love to her and yet she continues to selfishly blind herself and hurt Ruka. Michiru is taking advantage of the kindness. I know that sounds harsh but that is how I feel.

I do have a question though about the rape scene. Are we to assume that Michiru was raped for sure at this point?

Takeru -> It's good that his secret is slowly startinzg to surface. Hopefully he'll start to realize that his friends will accept him for who he is...at least Ruka and Eri will/have.

Eri -> Her issue was very present in this episode. She tries to cure her loneliness by searching for any man to sleep with. I think, even though the storyline doesn't center around her, more people in Japan can relate to her feelings. Her loneliness is a very common issue in society and it's good that the writers have her as apart of the dorama.
[/spoiler]

lomsie

Post by lomsie » May 11th, '08, 18:28

You are right in that we don't know much now. The way it's been presented, she acted as if she'd never seen that side of him before. And he got so obsessive all of the sudden. Yes, yes, we don't know, I'm just saying I don't believe it yet.

Did this drama come from a manga or a book?

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 11th, '08, 19:06

That is true as well. But like someone said here, I find Michiru's reaction to it more realistic than major ass kicking that Sousuke did. That was extreme to say the least. I will have to say that the first beat down she got in episode 1 is still the most... how do I word this.... severe one I've ever seen in this series. I still wince whenever I watch it. All the other DV scenes don't compare to the extremities of that scene.

This drama, believe it or not, is an original story.

haruko17

Post by haruko17 » May 11th, '08, 19:23

Rinnetensei wrote: I think it'd be a copout on this drama's part to just turn Ruka into a guy. I wanted LF to tackle what it's like to be a Japanese lesbian. Mostly cuz I know a lot of them here. It would be SO helpful to this society, far more so than addressing gender confusion. Believe me. A series like this could change the youth of Japan.
yea i kinda feel the same way, because there seem to be more transgender in the media than gay...

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 11th, '08, 20:50

What does DV stand for? I gather from watching this drama that it has to do with Sousuke beating up Michiru.

kerobu

Post by kerobu » May 11th, '08, 21:16

joykimlee wrote:What does DV stand for? I gather from watching this drama that it has to do with Sousuke beating up Michiru.
It's short for Domestic Violence.

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 11th, '08, 21:19

kerobu wrote: It's short for Domestic Violence.
So ka. Shld hv known earlier. Guess i was jus too lazy to knock my brains for unleashing the acronym. Arigato.

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » May 11th, '08, 21:33

Rinnetensei wrote:Sure, of course I'll keep an open mind. But I'm still hoping Ruka's gender confusion is simply being caused by her being in Japan. Things are very cut and dried here. Even in the lesbian community there are only really butches and femmes. There's no middle ground and it's very disconcerting. One of my friends (an older Japanese female) told me she experienced the same gender confusion as Ruka when she was young. Turns out she's a lesbian tomboy and doesn't wanna actually be a boy.

LF has been written SO well thus far. Here's praying they don't F it up!!!
Ruka may be jumping to conclusions just as the counselor suggested. We still don't know what exactly she's feeling inside.

7amad87

Post by 7amad87 » May 11th, '08, 21:56

I think the majority are missing out on the point the writers are trying to make with Ruka and Takeru. The main issue is not that Ruka is either Gay or want to have a sex change, i think they are just showing a confused female that doesn't really belong to any of the labels society's using (she keeps repeating that things like gender isnt really important ie being a man or a woman|. It is the same with Takeru, When Eri Assumed he is gay and he confirmed it, it's not just about him being afraid of sexual contact, it is also showing us that Takeru is another person that you cannot really label him as just straight or gay or even just sexually traumatized.

I really like how the writers planned out the characters, to me they are showing that whether your a male or female it's not guaranteed that your simply heterosexual or homosexual, or even Bisexual. It is mainly suggested that a person can love another person regardless of gender.

Even though they will end it with Ruka probably coming out and stuff, I still think the theme i mentioned above is what they are trying to show with Takeru and Ruka

son2

Post by son2 » May 11th, '08, 22:10

^Yuuki wrote:
JikokunoShuusennin wrote:uot;]
who is she/he??
i can't see the face.
From the chest area, most definitely a girl. But who knows...heheh.
With the short hair, don't tell me it's Takeru's stalker/cookie baker? Haha. That's a stretch. ^^;

Takeru takes an active step in protecting Michiru huh? That should be interesting to see.

"Inside a woman's body, a man's heart. A monster." Whoa, I wonder who wrote that letter. Ruka herself?
mmm... could it possible ruka gives flowers to her mom??!!
i also think that it'a woman. black-short hair.
To the majority of Japanese viewers it would lessen the blow of Ruka's feelings towards Michiru. Kind of like an: "Oh, so she's really a dude inside? That's why she loves Michiru!"
i think ruka is just confuse about her identity, hopefully that she wouldn't have to do the operation. it's possible sometimes to love your bestfriend and i think nothing's wrong with it.
Last edited by son2 on May 12th, '08, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » May 11th, '08, 23:18

*wipes eyes* from reading through 11 pages.

I gotta say...too much heated discussions already.

Rather than add to these comments....I will lament to my obsession.

Not only am I the only one obsessed with the cups, but it seems Takeru is also. He seems to be the wrangler and keeper of these cups. Like how Yuuki generously noted in episode 4 for me (thank you :lol ), Takeru gets everyone in the house a cup. However, poor Eri and Ogurin are still not a part of the inner circle (meaning they got soup/tea looking cups instead of the mugs :P ).

Check out how the purple and blue cup are closely placed together...sigh it's so sweet how "Takeru" and "Ruka" are placed "together."

Then in episode 5, he is the one polishing/cleaning the cups. Oh, and he's also drinking from it most of the time. Cup galore :goggle:

BUT WAIT
....we have a some pottery smashing...that is Souske's threaded bowl (the set he got to match with Michiru) which means we can all breathe cuz he is no longer the one in the picture...meaning he's a goner b/c he has no bowl to eat with everyone :lol

Episode 5 went at a much slower pace, but I adore how Michiru really stepped it up in talking back to Souske. Despite it being a bittersweet episode with feelings getting slammed...I can't help but love how supportive and observant Takeru is to Ruka. I am glad to see they added an extra 12th episode because I think this drama will aim more at establishing the relationship and support from friends rather than turning it into a love fest.

Because like the rough translation from Juri's old documentary "Love isn't everything...even people who suck and are in love still suck" lol[/img]
Last edited by zeiroc on May 12th, '08, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 11th, '08, 23:22

You can actually buy those cups LOL They're at a store in Japan, I forgot where, but you can buy them XD They're cute cups!

counterfeitdreamer

Post by counterfeitdreamer » May 12th, '08, 01:59

Haha omg you can buy them! Aw I want one. They are cute.

OMG I loooooove Last Friends. After seeing ep5 and pv of 6. I couldn't help but to say that again. Eita and Ryo...<3. Funny how Eita is the person that everyone can confide in. Can't wait for 6!
Poor Michiru is going to have an eye patch on next ep.
Once again I'll be stalkerish waiting for subs xD.

Oh has anyone made any predicts on who is the one that Michiru said died o.o?

Salz

Post by Salz » May 12th, '08, 04:29

i hope it is not Takeru or Ruka going to die...
it might be between Sousuke or Eri or maybe even Ogurin

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 12th, '08, 05:33

Ogurin isn't a main focused character and Michiru doesn't have an attachment to him. He's not going to die. All Oguri is just the light factor the show, if he wasn't in there, it'd be watching something like 14sai no Haha or Watashitachi no Kyoukasho --- a heavy show with no sign of light at the end of the tunnel.

matsujun06

Post by matsujun06 » May 12th, '08, 05:54

From my observations, I kinda feel it's Ruka.

roon

Post by roon » May 12th, '08, 09:38

I don't really think it's Ruka anymore...
Michiru saying「そっちの空はどう?」(How's the sky over there?) coupled with Ruka saying she wants to go to America nearly made me knock her off my list completely. At this point, I think it's between Takeru and Sousuke now.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 12th, '08, 12:12

zeiroc wrote:*wipes eyes* from reading through 11 pages.

I gotta say...too much heated discussions already.

Rather than add to these comments....I will lament to my obsession.

Not only am I the only one obsessed with the cups, but it seems Takeru is also. He seems to be the wrangler and keeper of these cups. Like how Yuuki generously noted in episode 4 for me (thank you :lol ), Takeru gets everyone in the house a cup. However, poor Eri and Ogurin are still not a part of the inner circle (meaning they got soup/tea looking cups instead of the mugs :P ).

Check out how the purple and blue cup are closely placed together...sigh it's so sweet how "Takeru" and "Ruka" are placed "together."

Then in episode 5, he is the one polishing/cleaning the cups. Oh, and he's also drinking from it most of the time. Cup galore :goggle:

BUT WAIT
....we have a some pottery smashing...that is Souske's threaded bowl (the set he got to match with Michiru) which means we can all breathe cuz he is no longer the one in the picture...meaning he's a goner b/c he has no bowl to eat with everyone :lol

Episode 5 went at a much slower pace, but I adore how Michiru really stepped it up in talking back to Souske. Despite it being a bittersweet episode with feelings getting slammed...I can't help but love how supportive and observant Takeru is to Ruka. I am glad to see they added an extra 12th episode because I think this drama will aim more at establishing the relationship and support from friends rather than turning it into a love fest.

Because like the rough translation from Juri's old documentary "Love isn't everything...even people who suck and are in love still suck" lol[/img]
Yay~ The return of the crazy cup obsessed lady! :cheers:
That's a nice read after all the seriousness. And yeah, it's been a while since we talk about the cups. Lol, I didn't even notice the closeness between Ruka and Takeru's cups. I guess it symbolizes that their relationship is probably the closest so far. Seeing as how 'far' away Michiru is now. Takeru is kinda in the middle of their relationship. Always trying to provide a listening ear to both and trying to bring them closer together. =3

Michiru really did try to stand up to Sosuke, it made me feel good for a while. Up till the last scene of course...They're really killing us with how they end each episode...;_;

And I loved what Juri said in Kagayaku Onna. Haha.
You can actually buy those cups LOL They're at a store in Japan, I forgot where, but you can buy them pinch They're cute cups!
Hmm, I think they're only available for purchase from the Fuji TV LF official site. That's why I say it's smart advertising. I want one too!
roon wrote:I don't really think it's Ruka anymore...
Michiru saying「そっちの空はどう?」(How's the sky over there?) coupled with Ruka saying she wants to go to America nearly made me knock her off my list completely. At this point, I think it's between Takeru and Sousuke now.
Yeap. Add that one with my previous list, I'm 99% sure. My thoughts are on Takeru and Sosuke too. Despite how they made Takeru narrate using the future tense, it could all meet up in a moment when life and death is decided. You know, something like people flashing back just before they are about to die? (though I really hope it's not the case! Takeru is just too precious an existence~). Sosuke has an equal chance too...we'll see.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 12th, '08, 14:00

I don't think it is one of our three narrators, mainly because they are narrating. I am leaning towards Sosuke, mainly because his character probably deserves to be in jail and I don't think it'll go that way. My other option is Eri, - but only in that she gets in the way when one of the other characters was about to be killed.

It is a big question, however, as to why Ruka, Michiru and Takeru are not together any more... Maybe it has something to do with the cups! ;)

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 12th, '08, 14:10

GoddessCarlie wrote:I don't think it is one of our three narrators, mainly because they are narrating. I am leaning towards Sosuke, mainly because his character probably deserves to be in jail and I don't think it'll go that way. My other option is Eri, - but only in that she gets in the way when one of the other characters was about to be killed.

It is a big question, however, as to why Ruka, Michiru and Takeru are not together any more... Maybe it has something to do with the cups! ;)
Well, we don't know that Takeru, Ruka and Eri (and Ogurin) aren't still living together. We only know that Michiru 'disappeared from Ruka's sight' at some point. But we'll definitely have to pay more attention to the cups~ They have all the answers! (the t-shirts and the card game too of course). ;) Just look at the queen of spades underneath the winning pair. It obviously means something! I think the card in fortune telling means something like a 3rd party in a relationship. Normally a woman but in this case, it could be Sosuke since he's the odd one out compared to the 'same kind' of pairing on top. Heheh. And in the game, Hearts, this card can either cause a big penalty or a bigger reward. Depending on how lucky/unlucky you are. Hmm...Lol. I could be over analyzing again but it's interesting so who cares. :whistling:

Btw, guess what? Utada Hikaru's album shot up to number 1 on the Oricon charts again! I think everyone knows why...=3 (the song helped promote the drama and now the drama is returning the favour~)
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/d/
Attachments
Babanuki in Ep.4
Babanuki in Ep.4
rukawins.jpg (64.58 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
Last edited by ^Yuuki on May 12th, '08, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 12th, '08, 14:31

^Yuuki wrote:Btw, guess what Utada Hikaru's album shot up to number 1 on the Oricon charts again! I think everyone knows why...=3 (the song helped promote the drama and now the drama is returning the favour~)
There's normally only 1 place for Utada's songs/albums in Oricon ... to b no. 1.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 12th, '08, 14:38

joykimlee wrote:
^Yuuki wrote:Btw, guess what Utada Hikaru's album shot up to number 1 on the Oricon charts again! I think everyone knows why...=3 (the song helped promote the drama and now the drama is returning the favour~)
There's normally only 1 place for Utada's songs/albums in Oricon ... to b no. 1.
Eheh, that's why I used 'again'. It's been released for almost 2 month now. So the sales have definitely been increasing again because of LF. Now, wait till the single on the 21st...=3

Edited: Here's the tracklist. Looks like the one at the end of ep.5 was the quiet version?
Single
Prisoner Of Love
(2008.05.21)

TOCT-40220 (CD+DVD)
Price
¥1,500
CD Tracklist
1. Prisoner Of Love
2. Prisoner Of Love -Quiet Version-
3. Prisoner Of Love (Original Karaoke)
4. Prisoner Of Love -Quiet Version- (Original Karaoke)

DVD Tracklist
1. Prisoner Of Love (PV)
Last edited by ^Yuuki on May 12th, '08, 15:57, edited 2 times in total.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 12th, '08, 15:46

Pardon the multiple postings. Some 'inside' scoop I just got~

Spotted. Nagasawa Masami at Inokashira park today getting cozy with Ueno Juri.....nah, just kidding about the last part, hehe... The crew were there filming scenes for Last Friends~ Fyi, the park is the one shown in episode 1. Michiru and Ruka's 'spot'(hmm, was it the same park where Ruka and Takeru talked?). I don't know how far in advance they film the episodes but it means something will happen and Michiru will run there again and Ruka will probably chase after her...So that's it. Since the 'insider' doesn't watch Last Friends and just walked away...what a waste(what if they really got cozy?? lol). @_@

I'll just mark down my calender and see if/when it appears on the show.
Last edited by ^Yuuki on May 12th, '08, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

fleng

Post by fleng » May 12th, '08, 16:05

I know whose gonna die.

The guy that brought the 40 inch LCD TV in.

lomsie

Post by lomsie » May 12th, '08, 17:40

We don't know anything. Everything pertaining to future episodes is speculation at this point. Until we see what happens, then we don't know. We all know what we'd like to happen, but well, that rarely happens!

haruko17

Post by haruko17 » May 12th, '08, 20:33

GoddessCarlie wrote:I don't think it is one of our three narrators, mainly because they are narrating. I am leaning towards Sosuke, mainly because his character probably deserves to be in jail and I don't think it'll go that way. My other option is Eri, - but only in that she gets in the way when one of the other characters was about to be killed.
I thought it might be eri at first too,
but it cant be since there is spin-off movie about her.

my best guest is sousuke...unless takeru is narrating from the afterlife??? XD

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 12th, '08, 21:34

I just love how everyone thinks its Ogurin.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » May 12th, '08, 23:13

2 words...
DIE SOUSUKE!!!!!!!!!!! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

This is how I want it to go...
Michiru runs back to Sousuke...Sousuke kills her and commits suicide cos life is too painful for him.......and off course, some how, some way Ruka and Takeru become emotional attached and live together happily *platonically*!!! :cheers: :thumleft: :thumright:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » May 12th, '08, 23:48

fifimimi wrote:2 words...
DIE SOUSUKE!!!!!!!!!!! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
LOL.

This is how I want it to go...
Michiru runs back to Sousuke...Sousuke kills her and commits suicide cos life is too painful for him.......and off course, some how, some way Ruka and Takeru become emotional attached and live together happily *platonically*!!! :cheers: :thumleft: :thumright:
That's too easy... This is how it's going down:
Ruka will drop a full-size Yamaha grand piano on Sosuke's head, turning him into a road apple...

Then she'll grow out her hair, move to Europe and become a much respected concert pianist. :mrgreen:

son2

Post by son2 » May 13th, '08, 00:43

bmwracer wrote: That's too easy... This is how it's going down:
Ruka will drop a full-size Yamaha grand piano on Sosuke's head, turning him into a road apple...

Then she'll grow out her hair, move to Europe and become a much respected concert pianist. :mrgreen:
i really love this idea :cheers:

saved1122

Post by saved1122 » May 13th, '08, 01:47

[quote="^Yuuki"][quote="zeiroc"]*wipes eyes* from reading through 11 pages.

BUT WAIT

hey, i purposely sign up to make this comment...has anyone noticed that the cup also has a key symbol on it? i tink besides the cups, the keys also means a lot in the shows..what do u guys say??

haruko17

Post by haruko17 » May 13th, '08, 02:20

oh snap! youre right! i didnt notice the keys before!
yea i think keys are have big significance too, not sure what it is tho XD

what about the pictures on the cups?
smoke is coming from ruka's house's chimney...which means...
shes a chain smoker? haha XD

son2

Post by son2 » May 13th, '08, 02:36

^^^^ mmm...
ruka' cup has a picture of a house with clouds above it
takeru's cup has a picture of a house with smoke comes out
michiru's cup has a picture of a house and a sun

about ruka maybe i can understand it, can have a meaning with cloudy ruka
but, michiru and takeru ?

haruko17

Post by haruko17 » May 13th, '08, 02:49

eh? i thought the purple one was ruka's?

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » May 13th, '08, 03:10

son2 wrote:
bmwracer wrote: That's too easy... This is how it's going down:

i really love this idea :cheers:
It would be a perfect lead-in to another Nodame SP later this year. :mrgreen:

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » May 13th, '08, 03:36

LOL!!! You guys make me sooooo proud with the cup observations!!! :cheers: :lol :thumright:

Welcome saved1122. Thanks for pointing that out! I've noticed the keys too as to how they look quite similar to the ones Eri hands out. However, I didn't notice the clouds, smoke and sunshine for each cup. Good eye son2 and haruko17! Guess it was a really good idea to put up the picture of the cups from the LF site.

Here's my guess:
Purple- Takeru- sorry he ain't a chain smoker, but one that makes the home by making it cozy (i.e him always cleaning, serving food/drinks to others, being the one that enables everyone to open up).
Blue - Ruka- Has a DEEP DARK SECRET...she's unsure her exterior and interior struggles are clouded.
Red- Michiru - Because she has claimed to be the one who is oblivious to others' feelings (from her narration in ep. 1 and ep 2) she is like the sunshine where her struggles outshine others, but at the same time is blinded by it. Hence, her haapy-go-lucky, dancing in the ray of sunshine look (innocence) she emits.

And regarding the purple cup technically it belongs to Ruka because she was the one that picked and bought it, but it seems that Takeru has ownage over it...yes you know that level of proclamation when someone licks or puts their saliva on an object to claim it?? (yeah, been a many victim to those incidents regarding delicious food/candy/cool gadgets...all of which were stolen...i mean claimed by others).

Still....it's an open range as to who is the purple (middle) one...cuz everyone likes Ruka...then again everyone likes Takeru...o buggers...my head hurts....just give us another episode already :goggle: I want to see more of those ugly cups!

Oh and ^Yuuki thanks for the inside scoop!! And you are indeed correctO regarding the quiet version of "Prisoner of Love." BUT I absolutely loved the part how it transitioned into the original version when Takeru walks over to Ruka.....looooove it....but dang 15 bucks is expensive for a single...I did spend $35 on her album....

saved1122

Post by saved1122 » May 13th, '08, 07:19

Thanks for the welcome, zeiroc!

im neva the type of person to join forums but i cant resist when it comes to LF! im such an addict/prisoner of LF....

anyway, lots of ppl actually "debated" who's dying, Gender identity issues, gay issues, michiru shud be with who etc...however, i find the cup topic seriously interesting! (oh no, now im a cup addict as well....lol) :crazy:

we shud really form a CUP-obssessed Fan Group, lead by our very own crazy cup obsessed lady...lol :cheers:

by the way, do u think the cups were specially created for LF? :mrgreen:

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » May 13th, '08, 07:47

saved1122 wrote: anyway, lots of ppl actually "debated" who's dying, Gender identity issues, gay issues, michiru shud be with who etc...however, i find the cup topic seriously interesting! (oh no, now im a cup addict as well....lol) :crazy:

we shud really form a CUP-obssessed Fan Group, lead by our very own crazy cup obsessed lady...lol :cheers:

by the way, do u think the cups were specially created for LF? :mrgreen:
Oh you betcha! Yay for more cup obsessed folks 8) I think the cups could have been specially crafted/designed for the theme of the show...especially with the subjects of homes and keys. And even though the above topics you've mentioned are definitely prevalent in this series I do really believe that the cups hold these significant issues in a subtle, yet ingenious way. For example, not only do they bear the house and key thingy, but everything such as individuality, property, gender roles (through the colors), and a significant implication about relationships (i.e. Souske giving the cup to Michiru so that she will live with him...and then Ogurin mentioning how he wants a pair of cups with Eri b/c they are an item).

Then again we're probably both crazy for looking into it too much, but hey....I didn't go to college for 4 years to study film and make stuff up...then again that is what college is about. As long as you have the backup/proof/example...you are good to go. And this is fun too!

I choose to look at the objects in addition to the drama that unfolds with these humans :-)

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 13th, '08, 12:45

zeiroc wrote:Here's my guess:
Purple- Takeru- sorry he ain't a chain smoker, but one that makes the home by making it cozy (i.e him always cleaning, serving food/drinks to others, being the one that enables everyone to open up).
Blue - Ruka- Has a DEEP DARK SECRET...she's unsure her exterior and interior struggles are clouded.
Red- Michiru - Because she has claimed to be the one who is oblivious to others' feelings (from her narration in ep. 1 and ep 2) she is like the sunshine where her struggles outshine others, but at the same time is blinded by it. Hence, her haapy-go-lucky, dancing in the ray of sunshine look (innocence) she emits.
I kinda noticed that the cups have different designs too yesterday. But I liked your theory about each of them. As for Takeru taking ownage over the purple cup after Ruka dropped it, I think it means something there too.
Oh and ^Yuuki thanks for the inside scoop!! And you are indeed correctO regarding the quiet version of "Prisoner of Love." BUT I absolutely loved the part how it transitioned into the original version when Takeru walks over to Ruka.....looooove it....but dang 15 bucks is expensive for a single...I did spend $35 on her album....
Well, it comes with the DVD. I wished they had the 'drama' version of the PV too, that would definitely make me buy it. Haha. And the quiet version at the end that certainly made a sad moment even sadder! I've said this a number of times before but I love how well the lyrics goes with what's happening on screen~ Especially when you look at it from Michiru's POV in that scene. Oh yeah, the transition part was a nice touch. Poor Takeru. Ruka probably wasn't in the mood to be comforted by anyone at that moment. Her anger at herself kinda got redirected at him a little.
Oh you betcha! Yay for more cup obsessed folks Cool I think the cups could have been specially crafted/designed for the theme of the show...especially with the subjects of homes and keys.
Can I join the club too? Heheh. 8)
Yeah, it should be specially designed for the show. Or maybe the other way around, the writers getting ideas from the cups just like how they got ideas from Prisoner of Love's lyrics(cause it can't just be a coincidence that they match the scenes and characters so much...plus Utada totally had no idea what the show will be about when she created the song).

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » May 13th, '08, 13:13

Hey guys! Just to join in this mug conversation - I was actually crazy enough to order all THREE mugs yesterday - they only deliver within Japan so had to go thru a 3rd party to buy it (it's all they do - order on your behalf and have the goods sent overseas).

But guess what???! RUKA's MUG IS SOLD OUT!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.................

ARGH!! So guess everyone's loving Ruka, right? hahaha Any why not?? aaha

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 13th, '08, 13:58

Great spot with the keys on the cups! I can't believe we didn't see that earlier!! Keys are definitely important. They include people, and they exclude people. They let people in but they also keep people in. A key is a way out... hmmm...

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » May 13th, '08, 14:46

sleepyzzz wrote:Hey guys! Just to join in this mug conversation - I was actually crazy enough to order all THREE mugs yesterday - they only deliver within Japan so had to go thru a 3rd party to buy it (it's all they do - order on your behalf and have the goods sent overseas).

Lemme guess...through J-Friends? If I'm right, they charge a lot more than what it costs but since it's based at HK too, at least the shipping fees won't be that high. And yappari! Everyone I talked to wanted the cup, especially Ruka's. I wonder if it's limited edition or they'll make more. They can certainly earn a lot from this. >=3

GoddessCarlie: Yeah. And each of them get a key when they become a part of the share house. So it's something that brings them 'home' after the harsh realities they face outside. Since those are 'house' cups, of course the key needs to be there too. ^^

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 13th, '08, 16:59

sleepyzzz wrote:Hey guys! Just to join in this mug conversation - I was actually crazy enough to order all THREE mugs yesterday - they only deliver within Japan so had to go thru a 3rd party to buy it (it's all they do - order on your behalf and have the goods sent overseas).

How much did it cost all together? Last time I went through a third party was through Celga and that was to get the Air Gear Musical Super Range Remix DVD that cost me $120......

*suicide like scruffy!sousuke*

Hopefully those cups wont cost me that much? :blink

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » May 13th, '08, 19:10

I must admit that the discussions on mugs is a nice change! Something light compared to the heated discussions earlier!

zeiroc! You need to post more messages and share more of your creative ideas about the mugs. You made some pretty good observations! haha I loved how you mentioned Takeru and Ruka's mug are closer together! haha

Hmm...as to how much it cost me? Well the mugs themselves are 1500 yen - and these guys charge a 10% service fee then postage (I'm using them http://www.i-tm4u.biz/)

So three mugs will cost USD50 then slap on postage which they can't tell me exactly cos it depends on weight - but they said it shouldn't be more than USD20. Quite pricey if you ask me but I'm THAT crazy at the moment. Now that they've told me Ruka's one has sold out, it makes me even want to buy it more! hahaha Must be a marketing tactic! haha Also, do you guys know the name of the mug range is called Okaeri (means "welcome home" - I'm sure u all know...) so seems to tie in well with the ideas of the share house being a safe haven for them...

On a more serious note, I just watched the trailer on Fuji's website (I forgot the trailer there differs slightly from the ones at the end of the episode) - seems like Takeru is not going to be so yasashii in Ep 6! Looks like another rollercoaster ride...can't wait!