[Discussion] Last Friends - Nagasawa Masami/Ueno Juri/Eita

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Alecsa-chan

Post by Alecsa-chan » Apr 10th, '08, 14:34

Hellooooo!! Yay i am happy we're going to have convos in this topic too!!!

Unfortunately i thought the drama had already been aired when i decided to do some maths and see that in Japan was actually 22:55 :w00t: So i've seen the last 10 minutes of it! I could tell from those few minutes that the intrigue has already begun and i especially refer here to the last scene!

Ueno Juri plays just too good and i also love the funy erm Eri?! the girl played by Asami Mizukawa ! I can't have an opinon about Masami though. I had the impression she wasn't really in her character but i can be wrong so i will refrain myself from making statements.
I wonder what reaction Michiru will have when she wakes up.
And in the preview was Ryo slapping her? The sound was very intense nee~
ps: yes you're allowed to give spoilers but make sure you use the spoiler tag !

ps2: also the music used in the drama fits the scenes very well.

manjowithane

Post by manjowithane » Apr 10th, '08, 14:59

anyone know when this is repeated? i got TVU, does it actually stream live? find it hard to believe lol.

crabbyrat

Post by crabbyrat » Apr 10th, '08, 19:51

I don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but the first episode is now available here:

I: http://fourlc.com/channel1/5/08fh/20080410_545.html

II: http://fourlc.com/channel1/5/08fh/20080410_546.html

Beware for possible popups!!

Oh and after seeing the first few minutes of this episode, I'm already amazed! Looks to be quite an interesting drama!!

miyuki_chan

Post by miyuki_chan » Apr 10th, '08, 22:58

So glad it's finally airing. I've waited so long since I read who the casts were. (Especially since I liked the three of them from another drama)

And than got more excited when I found out what kind of character Ryo's character Souske has.

It's a really good drama ~ I just saw it (though not 100% paying attention)

I have been kinda cursing Sousuke's character though ~ Just like Ryo said the whole female population would if they saw it.

Wow can't wait for the next episode

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Apr 10th, '08, 23:12

I didn't really expect much but I loved the first episode. I thought it was well done. I loved how the story developed even withing one episode. I wonder what the rest of the episodes would be like....
can't wait!

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » Apr 11th, '08, 03:48

At last! I will wait patiently for the subs to watch anything of this.

I totally admire Ueno Juri!

vietchemist

Post by vietchemist » Apr 11th, '08, 04:04

link megaupload for those who can not do bt: http://nhatkyviet.com/2008/04/11/last-f ... awa-asami/

saki-chan

Post by saki-chan » Apr 11th, '08, 04:42

i couldn't wait for the subs but i don't speak Japanese, so i've been watching the RAW but i don't understand it. actually, i'm only half way through, but it looks great so far! i actually wanted to share a continuity mistake i found, if anyone cares. it doesn't spoil anything about the plot, but i'm not gonna put it under spoiler just in case.
at the train station, when Michiru dropped all her things and is folding up a blanket, it's pink. but then later, when Ruka is remembering it, the blanket is blue.
sorry, i just love pointing out mistakes like these!
EDIT: i've finished watching it and i can't resist reviewing:
it was intense. like, damn intense. i can't really think of another word for it (except maybe 'amazing'). the actors and actresses totally expressed themselves well enough that, even though i couldn't understand what they were saying, i got it. the characters pain seemed very real and i found myself crying at times. actually, i got teary-eyed in the opening because it was so powerful. but then, later when Ryo is having his spaz attack, i was really crying. it was so real and painful! then, of course when he cried, i couldn't help myself and sobbed even harder because i cannot stand to see him cry. i know it's nuts, but the only reason i even cried at 1 litre of tears was when he was crying. when Johnny's cry, i cry too. i liked how later on, Michiru was able to forget about what had happened a little when she was with the others and the ending was kinda shocking, but in a good way. i'd probably have more to say if i understood it, but oh well. and yea, Ryo was right, we're all totally gonna hate him for this one.
there wasn't that much spoilerness in that, either, really...

i can't wait for subs.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 11th, '08, 05:23

Good first episode... I'm still buzzed after watching it... And I barely understood most of what they were saying. :)

Not surprised by anything, given the all the pre-show hype, buzz, and discussion.

Looks to be a very interesting and complex drama... :thumright:

Props to Masami-chan and Juri-chan (especially :wub: ) for taking the challenge.

khaibest

Post by khaibest » Apr 11th, '08, 05:27

i just want to ask..is ryo going to be a frequent character in this or he will just appear in the first few episodes??
frm what i've watched..i think his role won't be appearing that much in future i guess..
does anyone know about this??

Alecsa-chan

Post by Alecsa-chan » Apr 11th, '08, 06:06

khaibest: I don't think Ryo's role gets plenty of time on screen but i suppose he will appear in all of the episodes or in most of them at least.

The rating for the first episode of Last Friends is 13.9%. Hmmm i think it's an ok rating though i was hoping it would be 15% or around 15%.

edit: w00000t Arashi's show is at the same hour ?! whyyyy :cry:
Last edited by Alecsa-chan on Apr 11th, '08, 06:12, edited 2 times in total.

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 11th, '08, 06:10

i think the rating is low bcoz of Arashi new show on the same timeslot^^"

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 11th, '08, 06:12

Alecsa-chan wrote:The rating for the first episode of Last Friends is 13.9%. Hmmm i think it's an ok rating though i hoped it will be 15% or around 15%.
No JE-boys to bump up the ratings.

That's fine by me. :mrgreen:

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 11th, '08, 06:21

bmwracer wrote:
Alecsa-chan wrote:The rating for the first episode of Last Friends is 13.9%. Hmmm i think it's an ok rating though i hoped it will be 15% or around 15%.

but Ryo is JE boy :whistling:

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 11th, '08, 06:24

bmwracer wrote:

misha_takarai

Post by misha_takarai » Apr 11th, '08, 06:37

13.9% :cry: :cry: why?
i a good first episode :cussing:
hehe

yeah Ryo is a JE boy is a double JE boy (kanjani & News) :P

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 11th, '08, 06:41

Salz wrote:
bmwracer wrote:

I guess one isn't enough... Besides, he plays a jerk, so that's probably a turn-off.

And the other thing is that the story my be too grown-up/adult for the younger crowd...

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 11th, '08, 06:47

yeah maybe younger crowd prefer more light storyline^^"
well im still young and i luv this drama^^
hope more people will watch this drama also

j_halo7

Post by j_halo7 » Apr 11th, '08, 06:48

^ totally not a turn-off for me, the fact that Ryo is playing a jerk. im very curious to see how well he can play this role especially since he does have the look of a abuser. :/ *hides*

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Apr 11th, '08, 06:52

Wow, that was a really good start.

As saki-chan said above, it's intense, especially the intro before Utada Hikaru's song plays. I wonder how many of you fully got Nagasawa Masami's narration, because it may be an even bigger shock and puzzle than the video.

Until the hardsubbers finish their work, which I'm sure will be much better, this is my rough translation:

Edit: Made one correction.
"Ruka, are you well?

I'm managing by myself. I've always been alone, so I don't feel lonely.

This is the second time I've disappeared from your life. The first was during high school, when my mother took me away. The second, this time.

I guess we'll never see each other again, Ruka. But it can't be helped. I betrayed you, and I suppose this is my punishment.

At that time I knew nothing about you. Your dreams, your worries, the thoughts you hid in the deepest recesses of your heart.

The sky's so blue, Ruka. How's the sky over there?

It's really hard for someone to know someone else. That's what I think now.

If I had the power to understand what people were thinking, or at least, if I had tried harder to, perhaps I could have prevented those horrible events, that death...

But you know, Ruka? You were all truly by my side then, and even if we can never meet again, I'm still being supported by all of you."
This should keep me watching for a long while :)

Sousuke:
Man, that Sousuke guy is really a psycho. I really felt it not so much when he was poking around Michiru's phone, but when Michiru assured him Ruka's a girl and he says "gimme some proof" :scratch: Nuts. But he's not going to exit Michiru's life so easily, for sure.
Oh, but I found the music a little too prominent at times; they could tone it down. It's a little jarring how the colours, decor etc. are often so bright, and yet the story is actually pretty sombre and serious.
Last edited by lzydata on Apr 11th, '08, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 11th, '08, 07:00

lzydata wrote: It's a little jarring how the colours, decor etc. are often so bright, and yet the story is actually pretty sombre and serious.
Maybe it's part of the story's oddities and contradictions...

I though this was sorta funny/interesting:
It took four episodes for Nodame to kiss Chiaki in Nodame Cantabile, yet in this drama, it took only one episode for Ruka to kiss Michiru... Heh.

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Apr 11th, '08, 07:07

j_halo7 wrote:^ totally not a turn-off for me, the fact that Ryo is playing a jerk. im very curious to see how well he can play this role especially since he does have the look of a abuser. :/ *hides*
I think the same. O_o *hides with you*
LOL Well anyways, I think Ryo played abusive Sousuke darn well. Like I mentioned before, I don't understand Japanese that well so I didn't get maybe 70% of the 1st ep but because all the characters portrayed their emotions so well on-screen, it was very satisfying to watch! (:

What, Arashi's show is at the same time?? -__- I suggest, the viewers in Japan have two TV's so that they can watch both at the same time. *goes crazy* Haha, I'm only kidding... But it's really worth watching! 13.9 is too low... Yeah I expected it to be over 15%.

Okay, time for a spoiler tag. =P
So Ruka IS a lesbian! Gosh. I had a niggling feeling that she'd be one in the CM's but wow, to actually kiss Michiru (on the lips too) was shocking! And a genius way of closing the pilot episode. I can practically list out the sequence of strong emotions that the show conveyed. The disturbing pain of obsessed Sousuke hitting Michiru (the camera work and music in those scenes were a work of art by the way), that led to sadness when Sousuke cried and apologised. Then it cooled down and became cheerful at Ruka and Eri's house during the little party. Things were pretty mellow by that time, when suddenly BAM, the kiss. I was like WHOA and was stunned like that for a few mins even after next week's preview had been aired and some random CM's were playing.
On another note, the scene when Michiru first arrived at Sousuke's house, they were so sweet! I've never watched Ryo play a boyfriend like that. Aww they looked really sweet. And as always, his smile melts hearts. ((:
Someone mentioned Masami-chan wasn't in character? I thought so too, in the beginning. As I watched on though, I realised it's the way her character is supposed to be. I thought she was really good with her facial expressions during the abuse scenes.
Ah and Mizukawa Asami is hilarious! I haven't seen her in a hyper role before. xD "Namaste (x100)" LOL

I actually missed the first 20 minutes, anybody care to tell me how the drama first started? Thanks~
Oh... Which group's subbing this again??

EDIT:
That website somebody gave for us to download via http posts screenshots of the opening video that I missed. WOW It looks awesome! I love the 'Love, Liberation, Agony and Contradiction' parts!

painappuru

Post by painappuru » Apr 11th, '08, 07:18

hmmm i dont know
i feel that masami-chan is always the same in ALL her roles!
yea >__> maybe because she always chooses somewhat the same characters? i dont know....
but but props to juri-chan! omgosh, she does such a great job at being ruka---can not see any nodame-ness in there AT ALL! a total chameleon that juri-chan
and its interesting to see eita and asami kinda change personas from nodame to last friends (like eita as mine was more flamboyant while asami as kiyora was more...cool? hmmm) but i guess eita is kinda shy in real life. (well thats what i think...after seeing him in variety shows etc)
but love to see eita and juri-chan working together again! they have done a lot of work together eh? no wonder they on first name basis!! =)

hmm the first episode overall was ok. we'll see how the story unfolds.
but yea, that whole kiss...i was kinda hoping it wouldnt happen (cause i thought it would be too predictable).....but hey~might be good for the story line...

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Apr 11th, '08, 07:35

Izydata: Thanks for the translation! I could tell Masami was narrating about how she didn't know Ruka's thoughts, how she didn't realise, at that time but your translation enlightened us on a lot more meaning. Gosh, I was actually in tears just reading it. I guess there are still leftovers of the emotions I felt from watching the show, even though it's been more than 12 hours.
I agree with bmwracer that the contrast between the story's dark mood and the settings' brightness are part of the story, like to portray the irony of life. It was probably intended.

painappuru: LOL Your username is cute. (Are you a Massu fan? Excuse me if you're not. =P)
About Masami-chan, yes I agree the roles she play are somewhat alike thought not completely... I dunno, I think she has pretty good acting skills since watching her in "Say Hello for Me".
Yes Eita seems shy in real life, doesn't he? xD I still remember that interview for Last Friends and the commentator asked him about his newly black hair... And he was like "Hai. *pause* Uh, dame desu ka? *unsure* " LOL

kawaiiniko

Post by kawaiiniko » Apr 11th, '08, 08:11

The first episodes ratings were lower than I expected, but this is probably because Arashi's new TV program (Hitmitsu no Arashi-chan) aired at the same time of the drama.

I really liked the first episode though ♥
It's good to see Ryo in a drama again, even if he's playing as an abuser xD;

khaibest

Post by khaibest » Apr 11th, '08, 09:54

j_halo7 wrote:^ totally not a turn-off for me, the fact that Ryo is playing a jerk. im very curious to see how well he can play this role especially since he does have the look of a abuser. :/ *hides*
exactly!!i think lots of people are anticipating ryo's performance as DV..lets just hope 4 the best!!

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Apr 11th, '08, 10:07

Check up this site:
http://geocities.com/yamatonadesiko

Click the link in there, choose the post you like, then click the British flag. It will translate the whole post into English...it is very off though. Have a good laugh.
Blame Google for it :D
Last edited by siantut on Apr 14th, '08, 10:41, edited 2 times in total.

eomot

Post by eomot » Apr 11th, '08, 11:05

This dorama is made of awesome and great !

Juri looks and acts just awesome ...
It's been a long time since I've been so exited about a new dorama after watching the first episode.
Juri ftw

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 11th, '08, 13:41

painappuru wrote:but but props to juri-chan! omgosh, she does such a great job at being ruka---can not see any nodame-ness in there AT ALL! a total chameleon that juri-chan
Yes she is... :thumleft:

She seems to really challenge herself on and off the drama stage... And she's a mere 21 years old...

She's terrific. :wub:

bakababa

Post by bakababa » Apr 11th, '08, 14:57

This drama moved me! I watched it last night and I just couldn't go to bed ...
Awesome awesome drama!

The 13.9% Rating is just WRONG !!! :cussing:

I'm sure it will pick up though. :thumright:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 11th, '08, 16:18

bakababa wrote:This drama moved me! I watched it last night and I just couldn't go to bed ...
Awesome awesome drama!
Yeah, I had the same reaction: I had a hard time sleeping... I kept thinking about the story.

baby_bytes

Post by baby_bytes » Apr 11th, '08, 23:57

Ok they really did pick a good song for this drama, the opening of the drama with Hikki's song Prisoner of Love, just really drew me in even more and made my interest grow even more. I thought it was brilliant.

About Ryo being a jerk, I don't see how that could be so shocking. Jun is a JE boy as well and he played a total jerk in HYD 1 LOL I think Ryo will do a good job. We've seen his soft side let's see what he can do now playing a jerk hehehe.

Too bad the ratings were a bit low, hopefully it'll go up in the next few episodes. This is the first drama I've watched since Proposal Daisakusen that has really caught my attention BEFORE it even started. Can't wait for the subs ^_^

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Apr 12th, '08, 00:19

I haven't watched it yet so no opinion there but I saw somewhere that the maybe reason why the rating was so low was because of this Arashi's new show? Maybe its true, maybe it isn't.

najimta

Post by najimta » Apr 12th, '08, 00:31

gah. i cant wait to watch this. is anyone subbing this?

talongero

Post by talongero » Apr 12th, '08, 00:31

im still downloading this drama but im watching Warette Iitomo 2008 spring festival hehehe quite exciting and the Last Friends girls are so cute~! and looks like CHANGE and 81 diver dramas looks good too.

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Apr 12th, '08, 00:36

^Not on topic but I also want to watch Hachi One Diver. :D But if no ones subbing it it's no use.
najimta wrote:gah. i cant wait to watch this. is anyone subbing this?
Kioku is hardsubbing this drama. You check out this for all your fansub needs (if that makes sense XD): http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fans ... pring_2008

marspeach

Post by marspeach » Apr 12th, '08, 01:09

Nice first ep! Nothing too surprising since pretty much everyone speculated all that stuff. I especially love the opening sequence. All the acting was good but Masami was the weak link, I think. I liked her in Prodai but all her other characters are a little too cutesy for me.

I actually understood at least 90% of it! Maybe in comparison to the Korean and Taiwanese dramas I've been watching and understand 0% of.

painappuru

Post by painappuru » Apr 12th, '08, 01:19

I liked her in Prodai but all her other characters are a little too cutesy for me.
yea, all her characters are like on the cutesy side.
even in sailor fuku to kikanju!
hmmm maybe its just cause of her voice? i dont know... >___>
i think her voice is a little annoying, but she has a body to die for!!!

untitledmelody: massu as in...from NEWS?? (hahahaha as you can already tell, im not a fan!) but hes ok. (dont kill me~~~)
painappuru is my nickname cause...i love pineapples and i think it sounds awesome japanese-ized! hahahaa

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 12th, '08, 02:58

marspeach wrote:Nice first ep! Nothing too surprising since pretty much everyone speculated all that stuff. I especially love the opening sequence. All the acting was good but Masami was the weak link, I think. I liked her in Prodai but all her other characters are a little too cutesy for me.
I haven't seen Masami-chan very much, but I'd have to agree... Her character seems so timid and always seems to get picked on... Sad.

moonchyld

Post by moonchyld » Apr 12th, '08, 04:19

just finished watching the first ep - seems exciting! :thumleft:

re masami's acting..
i thought casting her in this role was quite fitting.. cheerful, cutesy girl who deep inside is actually weak and indecisive, and so just follows the crowd and accepts everything in life (including bullying) without trying to fight it - definitely a stark difference from juri-san's (on and off camera's) unique persona.
it's really interesting to see all these stars who have mostly portrayed positive roles show a darker, deeper side. reminds me of older jdramas that really went into the human psyche and weren't just clean and squeaky (and often shallow) junnai stuff..not that that's bad once in a while. :P

my only problem is it seems that most of the mystery has been revealed in the first episode, i wonder what could be in store next~ maa dou demo ii, tanoshiminishiteru wa! :lol

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 12th, '08, 04:56

moonchyld wrote:re masami's acting..
i thought casting her in this role was quite fitting.. cheerful, cutesy girl who deep inside is actually weak and indecisive, and so just follows the crowd and accepts everything in life (including bullying) without trying to fight it - definitely a stark difference from juri-san's (on and off camera's) unique persona.
That's a very good observation. :)
it's really interesting to see all these stars who have mostly portrayed positive roles show a darker, deeper side. reminds me of older jdramas that really went into the human psyche and weren't just clean and squeaky (and often shallow) junnai stuff..not that that's bad once in a while. :P
Yup, a story with a lot more meat on the bone and not just your typical lighthearted fluff.
my only problem is it seems that most of the mystery has been revealed in the first episode, i wonder what could be in store next~ maa dou demo ii, tanoshiminishiteru wa! :lol
Well, it would've been impossible to hide the Ruka/Juri-chan angle for the entire 11 episodes, so why not take that mystery out of the equation and move on...? :)

Hopefully, the apparent complexity of the relationships with be played out and Juri-chan's character isn't just a plot gimmick just to get some style points.

I'm jazzed about watching the next episode... Even though I pretty much don't understand a lick of Nihon-go... :)

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Apr 12th, '08, 07:36

I'm pleased the discussion here is off to a good start. Let me throw in my first two cents.
There are many things I can say about that first episode but the aspect that struck me hardest is that it felt very much a searing indictment of menfolk in general. In that entire first episode, there wasn't a single sympathetic male figure. Not a one. (Well, ok, technically there may have been ONE, but not really, I don't think. Eita's character counts as an actual fella, does he?) It's usually a difficult impression to avoid in any story involving an erstwhile heterosexual woman who decides to switch house. But in this case the vibe is too strong to be inadvertent, especially when the show views the world from Michiru's eyes.

A lot of the commenters above tend to zero in on Sosuke because his flavor of jerk is the least subtle, with a vaguely psychotic aftertaste. But if you think about it, he was just another in the long, sad parade of nightmare clowns in Michiru's life. Father? Not a trace. Seems to have bailed on her and her mom a long time ago. And if the DOM who made a pass at her in her house is typical, then I don't think any of her mom's one-night stands qualified as a substitute father-figure. We know Michiru's bum luck with guys isn't destined for improvement either because she's alone again in the present; obviously, the dude that knocked her up either couldn't or wouldn't stick around long enough to see his baby. I badly wanted to reassure Michiru that not all men are as awful as she's seen thus far, but the sad reality, even outside the TV, is that abused women and men that abuse tend to be drawn towards each other like magnets. It's a vicious cycle that's tough to get out of once you're in it. Still, for the sake of fairness and realism, I hope later episodes introduce at least one or two positive male characters. Michiru may not be fated to hook up with them, but they should be visible along the periphery because, you know, we're not all rotten, us men. Really.

Anyway, in episode 1 the closest we ever got to the masculine ideals of gallantry, steadfastness and resolve was...Ruka. Thus, the big mystery for me now is, how and why, after accumulating an abundance of grief from the men in her life, Michiru could forsake Ruka and go hetero in favor of a sperm donor who, surprise surprise, subsequently vanishes.
i hope that after such a promising start they don't screw this series up later like that ...err, other show. After episode 1 ithis one is looking up so high.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 12th, '08, 15:13

joeboygo wrote:i hope that after such a promising start they don't screw this series up later like that ...err, other show. After episode 1 ithis one is looking up so high.
Other show? :scratch:

saki-chan

Post by saki-chan » Apr 12th, '08, 15:34

so, i've been thinking, and
who do you think knocked Michiru up? do you think it was Sosuke? or could there be someone else? personally, i have a hunch that it was Eita's character (whose name totally escapes me, sorry) cos wouldn't that add, like, twelve different flavors of drama? He obviously has a thing for Ruka who obviously has a thing for Michiru. that's dysfunctional enough, right? and maybe that's why Michiru left and can't be with Ruka? i don't know, i'm just speculating. and also, the whole thing about Eita having a sex phobia kinda pokes a hole in my theory. or it could just be adding to the drama, ne? i'm probably wrong; i didn't understand 70% of the dialog, so i may be missing something, but what do you guys think?
and also, baby_bytes, about Jun being a jerk in HYD, he's a stuck up idiot, not an abusive boyfriend. there's quite a difference, i think...but i did want to touch on that, Ryo having this role. i'm very proud of him for choosing a character that a)has a different personality than everyone else he's played and b) isn't the normal JE boy role. if you think about it, only a few Johnny's ever step out of the mold and do something daring. KimuTaku, for one, does and Nakai once played a serial killer, but normally they stick to wholesome-y roles, ne?[/spoiler]
Last edited by saki-chan on Apr 12th, '08, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

junebug6272

Post by junebug6272 » Apr 12th, '08, 15:36

great first ep., I can't wait to see the rest.

here are some of my predictions for the rest of the series based solely on the first episode.(I wouldn't look if you haven't seen ep1)
These are just wild guesses mind you:

So the father of Michiru's baby...I'm guessing its Sousuke, in the first scene she talks about betraying Ruka and that would be a pretty big betrayal to go back to the guy who abused her, if only for a one night stand where she ends up getting pregnant.

The death that she mentions: I'm torn here. I can very well see this being Eita commiting suicide or something (he just seems really fragile to me) Or it could be that Ruka is the one that died and that's why Michiru tears up the letter instead of sending it.

I'm so impatient with dramas, I usually like to wait until they are done airing then watch all the episodes in one shot, but I looks like I'll be watching this one every week. Hopefully I can handle the suspense.
:goggle:

junebug6272

Post by junebug6272 » Apr 12th, '08, 15:42

@saki-chan
I though that it may be Eita (Takeru is his name, i think) as well especially since the relationship chart shows Michiru liking Eita. I dunno though the sex phobia thing and the fact that he likes Ruka kind of led me to believe it wasn't him. But anything is possible. Maybe Eita and Michiru have a one night stand, Eita feels horrible, ends up dying. Ruka feels betrayed by both of them and Michiru runs away to have the baby....soo many possibilities. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :blink

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 12th, '08, 17:14

well i think Sousuke might be the baby father :scratch: .....i kinda think it either Takeru or Sousuke who die :unsure:
maybe Ruka kill Sousuke bcoz she jealous or bcoz Sousuke rape Michiru thats why she pregnant
or maybe Takeru suicide bcoz frustrated that Ruka will never choose him
but dun really wanna c Eita character die again :cry:
when he die in Unfair it really break my heart
it kinda hard to predict anything in this kind of drama
everything just begin and each character is so complicated so quite hard to make any assumption yet :P

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 12th, '08, 17:24

Salz wrote:
maybe Ruka kill Sousuke bcoz she jealous or bcoz Sousuke rape Michiru thats why she pregnant
That wouldn't surprise me, considering Ruka's strong feelings...
it kinda hard to predict anything in this kind of drama
everything just begin and each character is so complicated so quite hard to make any assumption yet :P
That's a good thing... Better than something that's totally predictable, ne? :)

saki-chan

Post by saki-chan » Apr 12th, '08, 17:30

junebug6272:
your ideas certainly seem plausible and i'm glad my theory wasn't too out there.
Salz:
i hope Sosuke doesn't die! i know it's nuts and he probably (so far) deserves it the most out of the characters, but i'd hate to see Ryo die, even just in character! just the idea of it makes me sad...that being said, i really like Eita's character so far and don't want him to die either...nor do i want any of the other people to die. Maybe, the death'll just be the skeez Michiru's mom brought home! maybe Ruka will kill him!

why is it that we fancy Ruka to be a murderer?

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 12th, '08, 17:58

saki-chan wrote:junebug6272:
your ideas certainly seem plausible and i'm glad my theory wasn't too out there.
Salz:
i hope Sosuke doesn't die! i know it's nuts and he probably (so far) deserves it the most out of the characters, but i'd hate to see Ryo die, even just in character! just the idea of it makes me sad...that being said, i really like Eita's character so far and don't want him to die either...nor do i want any of the other people to die. Maybe, the death'll just be the skeez Michiru's mom brought home! maybe Ruka will kill him!

haha
maybe bcoz from the Intro when Ruka first come out she kinda have the murderous eye in her and after hearing Michiru said that someone gonna die the likely candidate pop in my head is Sousuke and Takeru :pale:
that just my opinion though :roll
of course i dun want either Ryo or Eita or any of the whole main cast to die :unsure:
each character is important
i would rather luv if Michiru mom's bf or the bad senpai from the shop kill by Ruka :whistling:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 12th, '08, 18:02

saki-chan wrote:
Because it's Juri-chan. :mrgreen:

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Apr 12th, '08, 18:35

My guess ....
I think Sosuke will do horrible things to people around Michiru (Takeru, Eri) in order to get her back by his side. Ruka knowing this tries to stop him but accidently killed him.. Michiru after learning his death discovers at the same time she's pregnant with his baby. She'll be confused & feels that she betrays Ruka (perhaps also Eita who she's in love with actually).. Ruka is arrested, Michiru decided to leave the house (w/o telling anyone about the baby).
About Takeru & Eri , so far it's little unpredictable to me ^^; the fact that Takeru has a sex phobia could be a hint.. maybe Michiru confessed to him & wanted to help him ..that way, there's also a possibility that he's the father of the baby.. My guess is that Michiru will not even know who's really the father ^^; she may be raped by Sosuke at first then Takeru while trying to confort her, they have a 'one night stand' & Takeru gets over his sex phobia at the same moment ^^ Then when Sosuke learns that, he'll hit her and... back to my previous statment, Ruka will intervene & kill him.

I admit, I really go for Sosuke's death. :alcoholic:
omg, I'm totally in fanfiction mood now.. lol

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Apr 12th, '08, 21:13

It's great reading everyone's ideas and speculations. I thought the pilot was remarkable for pushing so many controversial and shocking parts up front and centre (in the first and last few minutes mainly). So much so, it made me wonder what's left to discover and whether developments really will be as predictable as these:
After staying the night at the share-house Michiru goes back to face Sousuke, forgives him, stays with him, gets beaten up again, only at which point she moves out and into the share-house. Ruka and the others find out and decide they must protect her from that nutjob. When Sousuke comes knocking for his woman they exchange some nasty words, pull some sleeves, throw some punches. Finally, amid the melee, Sousuke hits his head on something, concusses and dies in hospital. Ruka wants to turn herself in to the police, but Takeru beats her to it because he loves her and can't bear to see her go to jail for this. Michiru by this time realizes she's gotten pregnant from either the first night with Sousuke or sometime afterwards - perhaps she gave him a third chance, or a fourth, or a fifth - and decides she must punish herself and atone for her sins by raising their cursed child herself, never seeing her friends again.

But I'll actually be unhappy if it turns out this way, you know, because it's kind of boring, not to mention short :( Of course the big baddie gets his just deserts. Of course the tragedy of having this man's child with him gone will be all the more sadder. Michiru wanted to escape her mother's destiny so bad, she ended up doing the very same thing etc. etc.

I agree with bmwracer in a way: Ruka, not Ueno Juri per se :mrgreen:, is key to why things would go this way. What is this deep dark secret of hers? When she preps a mail that goes "can I tell you something? I..." she means to say, "I've always loved you". It's not that she's a lesbian, or uncertain about her sexual orientation, but that she's attached to this one person. Michiru's the only person she ever felt a connection to, and now this person's miraculously come back to her. Is it all that strange to think then, "well, no one else is going to have her, no one is going to hurt her, no one is going to take her away from me again"? Ruka may be as much of a psychotic monomaniac about her as Sousuke is! So whether she personally thumps Sousuke on the head or it was some freak accident is quite moot, really - her intentions are clear. True, it could be a murder or a suicide, but the way Michiru puts it makes it sound like it was just this bloody tragic series of events no one could prevent once they were set in motion.
At least, I hope this is part of a conscious strategy to get the controversial stuff out of the way so that they do more character development and interaction, so that they really build up the relationships between the roommates in a convincing way, that they widen and deepen from sharing not just their lives but baring their souls. And maybe by the time things reach the melodramatic, almost predetermined climax that the introduction warns us about, we will look back and say, hey, Michiru was right after all:
「でもね、瑠可。
 あなた達は確かに私の側にいた。
 例えもう二度と会えないとしても、
 私は、今もあなた達に支えられてる。」

"But you know, Ruka? You were all truly by my side then, and even if we can never meet again, I'm still being supported by all of you."

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 12th, '08, 21:58

lzydata wrote:At least, I hope this is part of a conscious strategy to get the controversial stuff out of the way so that they do more character development and interaction, so that they really build up the relationships between the roommates in a convincing way, that they widen and deepen from sharing not just their lives but baring their souls.
As i said. :thumleft:

It's a wise choice of the writers/directors to take care of the obvious (and major buzz-creating) orientation issue and move on... At least we hope that was the intent. :)

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » Apr 13th, '08, 02:41

Gosh I really want to read what everyone has to say, but I can't do it without watching it with subs...but I am glad that this show is creating a lot of opinions and speculations...this is what media is supposed to do :-)

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Apr 13th, '08, 06:23

I think I'm becoming obsessed with this drama - it's only the first episode and yet I have so many thoughts about it :mrgreen:

Chameleon Juri: like people here have said, it's true, beyond changing her hair and clothes, Ueno Juri has this strange, even creepy way of going on morning news programmes or variety shows 'in character'. In the days of Nodame she would be all cutesy and in a world of her own: remember how she accidentally peeked at the answer in a Waratte iitomo game? I watched the Spring special the other day, and Nakai was rapping her for acting like a 'yankee' (juvenile delinquent). On the other hand Nagasawa Masami seems to be basically the same person no matter what role she's playing at the moment. This is true even with her darkest characters, like the girl who's dying of leukemia in Sekachuu or the wrist-cutting girl in Yasashii Jikan (which is a very, very good show, by the way). There's a just sunny side to her that penetrates through the gloom.

Maybe Ueno Juri just takes the marketing side to her job more seriously than Nagasawa or most of her fellow actors, who don't 'carry' their characters off the set and don't feel the need to. It could also just mean that Ueno Juri is inherently a more flexible actor and is less hamstrung than Nagasawa Masami by how people react to things like her cutesy voice and, let's put it this way, certain parts of her body. But perhaps they are just examples of two different types of performers. Ueno is the sort who actualizes or affirms different parts of her own character by taking on those of the roles she plays, while most actors (usually the lesser talented, but not always) choose and adapt roles to suit their very dominant original personality. In Hollywood terms, it is the difference between Daniel Day-Lewis and Jack Nicholson.

As far as I can tell, both Ueno and Nagasawa are very serious and hardworking actors - they just do things and express themselves differently. I know people have very different opinions on, say, whether Kimura Takuya is an excellent and versatile actor, or he basically just plays himself. Nagasawa Masami is kind of like that too - a polarizing figure in terms of her 'true' acting skills. No one will call her a terrible actor the way you would call, say, Fukada Kyoko, one. (I know I'm always picking on her, but she is an obvious example.) And yet Nagasawa is not known as the "great actor"-type of actor. Yet?

Another thing. Yamazaki Shigenori is slated to be the fifth roommate, as you can see from photos in the first episode. He gets his own mug and all that. But it's not clear at this point how big a part he will play in subsequent events, especially the bad ones.

I say we should show the guy some love. He debuted in 2002's Tentai Kansoku (Searchin' for My Polestar) as part of that 8-member all-star high-wattage cast (with Ito Hideaki, Sakaguchi Kenji, Odagiri Joe, Koyuki, Konishi Manami, Tabata Tomoko and Hasegawa Kyoko). His career has sort of stayed flat since then. I also remember him as the trainee doctor with an inferiority complex that backstabbed Dr. Kotoh but later came to regret it. Coming after his blink-and-you'll-miss-him role as the emcee of that never-ending wedding reception in Proposal Daisakusen, I hope he gets a chance to regain some dignity as an actor and play a role of some significance. For all we know, he could also be deeply involved in what's to come.

P.S. I suppose the "other show" joeboygo was talking about was Prodai?

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 13th, '08, 06:44

lzydata wrote:I think I'm becoming obsessed with this drama - it's only the first episode and yet I have so many thoughts about it :mrgreen:
I know the feeling: the first episode really got to me... Had a hard time sleeping and functioning at work the next day... :sweat:
Chameleon Juri: like people here have said, it's true, beyond changing her hair and clothes, Ueno Juri has this strange, even creepy way of going on morning news programmes or variety shows 'in character'.
Heh... She obviously takes her craft very seriously... :thumleft:

Ever watch Kagayaku Onna? Rather insightful travelogue as to what makes her tick... And she's quite introspective for someone her age, I think...
In the days of Nodame she would be all cutesy and in a world of her own: remember how she accidentally peeked at the answer in a Waratte iitomo game?
Image Image

Image Image
Maybe Ueno Juri just takes the marketing side to her job more seriously than Nagasawa or most of her fellow actors, who don't 'carry' their characters off the set and don't feel the need to. It could also just mean that Ueno Juri is inherently a more flexible actor and is less hamstrung than Nagasawa Masami by how people react to things like her cutesy voice and, let's put it this way, certain parts of her body.
I just think Juri-chan lives by her own set of rules and doesn't see the need to please anyone except herself... Rather unique in this sea of cookie-cutter idols, I think. :)

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Apr 13th, '08, 07:00

Izydata:

There are actors that basically play themselves all the time, with only costume changes, and there are others that lose themselves into a different persona for each role. Without getting into the on-going debate about which type is better, I think there's a place for both in the art, and you can see that in this drama. Ueno Juri and Eita (I can't believe you missed him) represent the second kind, while Masami-chan is one of the finest exemplars of the first. I don't know which I prefer, or even if I ought to have a preference. I'm just as thrilled as you are to witness chameleon-like transformations from one role to another. On the other hand, if an actor's personality is interesting enough to draw an audience in and hold its fascination throughout the story, then why bother with alteration? I'll be the first to admit that the principal attraction this show holds for me is the prospect of seeing the leading lady from Prodai make out with another woman. Perhaps this time her suitor will show some real balls and give her the good lovin she deserves.

And your supposition is correct, but I don't want to get controversial here, so I'll not say anything more about that.

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 13th, '08, 08:03

yeah Eita is one unique actor...
beside Juri, he is also one of the actors that have chameleon-like transformations in each of his drama^^
beside that his hairstyles and fashion sense is also very unique and special

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 13th, '08, 15:36

Salz wrote:beside that his hairstyles and fashion sense is also very unique and special
The word is "weird."

LOL. :D

bakababa

Post by bakababa » Apr 13th, '08, 16:16

Me too, after watching it that night, I kept thinking about the story and guessing of what's happening at the end. Similar to many others, here are my thoughts ... :D
Michiru is pregnant with Sousuke's child. Sousuke abusive behavior finally drew the line and Ruka killed him. Ruki is in jail. For others, I really have ... no clue :scratch:

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 13th, '08, 16:34

bmwracer wrote:
Salz wrote:beside that his hairstyles and fashion sense is also very unique and special
The word is "weird."

LOL. :D
well i dun care how many people call him weird for me he is unique with his own style :-)

saki-chan

Post by saki-chan » Apr 13th, '08, 16:52

i'm too lazy to quote or remember who exactly said what, but here are my thoughts on the last couple of responses:

With Eita's hair, i absolutely love every hair style i'm ever seen him with because they're all so weird. my best friend was scared by his hairstyle in the Last Friends CMs (but i'm gonna force her to watch the show when they're subs) and she knows Nodame Cantibile as 'the one with that guy with the poofy hair?'. his style makes me giggle because it changes so often and i always love whatever it is with each change.

About Ueno Juri's acting: the first thing i saw her in was Tsubasa no Oreta Tenshitachi and hers was the only story i cried at, mostly because of her amazing performance. Then i saw Nodame Cantibile and i didn't even know it was the same person. when i figured out why she looked so familiar, i kinda freaked out and my love and respect for her was set. it's incredible how in-character she is and how many characters i've seen her play to the tee. and i can tell Last Friends is gonna be another one of her amazing performances.

when i first started watching dramas, if an actor played a different character than normal, i'd think that was really cool because they normally play the same kind of roles a lot. a lot of the time, they even seem to play themselves, which is why i respect Ueno Juri so much for her range, and that's also why i'm proud of Ryo for taking the role of Sosuke because, yea, he's an evil prick bastard, but when he's not being abusive, he seems to have a completely different personality than Ryo has played before (the sarcastic, mean, jaded fellow who hates the world. ((which is also how i describe Ryo himself))). when i found out how his character was, i was excited that Ryo wasn't playing himself again.

hhmm, ok, i think i'll end the rant there, for now.

Billion

Post by Billion » Apr 13th, '08, 17:42

I haven't watched this yet but I'm excitedly waiting for the subs. Could someone tell me who's doing them?

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 13th, '08, 17:45

Hiya everyone/
I think I'd burst if I don't let out some of the obsessive-ness I've had with the show so I registered. Been following the discussion for a while but this is my first post so pardon if it gets too long. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu. o(_ _)o

Episode 1 was really pretty awesome. I'd say right off the bat that I'm watching mainly because of Ueno Juri. The 180degrees change totally piqued my interest. She looked too cool for words. Add to the fact that there seems to be a certain vibe between her and Masami Nagasawa, count me onboard. :thumleft:

I know that a lot are waiting for the english subs, so hope that my comment/review/rough translations below would assist the understanding for the mean time. Sorry if it mostly centers around Ruka. She's my favourite character in the drama. Heheh.
- Lotsa questions raised in the first few minutes already. Might seem like a pretty sad ending but it probably won't end there at the finale (They'll show a continuation where Ruka shows up at her door and they live happily ever after~ else I'll just assume that's how it ends, heheh). And the opening sequence. Totally loved the imagery n the art direction. Beautiful. The theme song totally fits the drama. And the main 'issues', Love, Liberation, Agony, Solitude and Contradiction. Gotta say, the last one was pretty painful to watch...But I guess, it just adds to my love for Juri's character for being a supportive friend. She's so great in the role. =)

- I like the bus chasing scene. At first, I thought Ruka seemed pretty composed when she greeted Michiru(after that desperate chase). Nice that they provided a 2nd take to the whole thing from Ruka's POV(in her room while looking at the photo) with what was really going through her mind at seeing someone that has suddenly dissappeared from her life 5 years ago. Rough translation of the scene:
"Michiru, you've said it before haven't you? That Ruka is a person that walks her own road with a sense of detachment to others. That's actually false. I'm just afraid of (interactions with) people.*messaging* Even now, the most important thing inside my heart...I haven't told anyone. No one. Michiru, not even you."*flashback to earlier* "Michiru, I'm sure that you can't even imagine, after not having seen you for almost 5 years, how shocked I was. These 5 years, how much I've been thinking about you, how much I have prayed to be able to see you again...and along with those feelings are also fears of actually meeting you again...". She ended up not sending this mail (she has something to tell Michiru...probably to confess about this 'secret')

- Michiru receives a mail from Ruka saying how glad she was to be able to meet her the other day. This is the mail the abusive boyfriend finds and accuse Michiru of seeing another man. Michiru insists it's a girl and he wanted proof...the call went to voicemail. Kinda feeling scared now, she offers to show him the school yearbook and went to find it. Of course, it was no where to be found...and we saw what happened next. Michiru ran away from there with the excuse of going to find the book again. Ruka receives a distressing sounding voicemail from Michiru saying, "I'll call again later...". Loved the whole scene. She immediately ran out from the store(while grabbing an umbrella) and went to 'their spot'. They used to go there to talk, shelter under the rain and eating ice cream. Ruka invites Michiru to her house nearby(well, she's just one of the boarders there. They rent out the rooms. Apparently, the 4 of them will start living together at some point).

- While being surrounded by these warm people, Michiru still can't forget about the abusive boyfriend. Ruka notices her sad look. "Forgive me, Ruka. At that time, I was only thinking about myself, being the most unfortunate person in the world. It was childish of me." Ruka sends Takeru out. He seem to have taken a liking to her since she has almost the same kind of thinking on relationships/friendship.(Ruka while in the bar: "Whether it's a guy or a girl, it doesn't matter. Properly respecting one another as a person while protecting one's distance in a relationship. I think I can go out with that kind of person.") Judging from the next ep preview, Takeru will be the first to notice that 'Michiru is a special existence to Ruka.'

- Of course the last scene. Ruka's all into the 'I'll protect you with my blanket mode'. Heheh. Add with the tears, emotions on Ruka's face, then slowing moving in for the kiss. Cue ~Prisoner of Love~ It was too awesome. *salutes Juri and the show producers*
Definitely looking forward to the next ep.2. =3

(Interesting...I didn't photoshop this, btw. It's on the official website during the opening flash video.)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 13th, '08, 20:17

saki-chan wrote:About Ueno Juri's acting: the first thing i saw her in was Tsubasa no Oreta Tenshitachi and hers was the only story i cried at, mostly because of her amazing performance. Then i saw Nodame Cantibile and i didn't even know it was the same person. when i figured out why she looked so familiar, i kinda freaked out and my love and respect for her was set. it's incredible how in-character she is and how many characters i've seen her play to the tee. and i can tell Last Friends is gonna be another one of her amazing performances.
Juri-chan's incredible: whatever role she takes, she manages to really become the character and be totally convincing... Can't say that I can think of many actors, Japanese or other, that can do that.... Especially at such a young age... :thumright:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 14th, '08, 02:56

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 14th, '08, 05:47

Mezamashi TV. :)

Image Image

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 14th, '08, 11:20

Loved that interview. Particularly what Eita said about the both of them. Ii desu ne~ =D

(Lol, text says " Nagasawa Masami*heart*Ueno Juri, love love connection/relation?!") XD

Another one taken in the same morning(10/4).

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 14th, '08, 13:29

^Yuuki wrote:Loved that interview. Particularly what Eita said about the both of them.
What did he say, actually?

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 14th, '08, 13:46

Image Image
Last edited by bmwracer on Apr 14th, '08, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 14th, '08, 13:48

yeah what does eita say???
it always Juri and Masami or Masami Eita doing the interview-(
i hope if there are other time they promote, Eita and Juri is going to do the promotion and maybe could get rid of Masami-chan for a little while :whistling:

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 14th, '08, 13:54

Host: Regarding the close friendship that both actresses seem to share, this person have something to comment. [When looking at them together] Eita: "makes one go *doki**doki*(heart race/excited). Looking at them. Sometimes, they would (patto=nonchalantly) hold each others hands...ii na~ii desu ne~(very nice)." "Rather than seeing Michiru and Ruka, I guess I see them as having the roles properly inside of their hearts already. That's what I feel."

Then the host asked about the whole hand holding thing and Juri basically answers that they kinda naturally do it without realizing it most of the time. Normally when they feel nervous like during the 'Waratte iitomo' show that they went to the other day. The Q&A session was cute. Masami asked Juri her favourite artist while Juri asked Masami her ideal home. (Ans: Utada and share house) ^^

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 14th, '08, 13:58

thanks for the translation^^

epi

Post by epi » Apr 14th, '08, 14:19

i am so torn about whether i should watch this or not because whenever i watch drama series i always have strong reaction towards it, especially in the case of people being mean to others because of character (like ryo in this series)

on the one hand i really really want to watch this because of juri ... i agree with what all of you have said here ... she has amazing acting skills and she has chosen well for her roles that portray the depth of her acting skills
i've watched her supporting roles in orange days and engine, and of course who could forget nodame
she owns all of those characters

but on the other hand i hesitate to watch it because of ryo
it may seem silly but i get so fixated on someone's role that i can really come to hate that person
and of course i don't want that to happen to ryo
i'm proud of him for tackling a different role, which in the long run will make him known for not just being another JE idol but also someone who has great acting abilities

i guess i'll just frequent this topic and see how the story unfolds ...
hopefully it'll be a great one ...

one last comment about eita ... the guy with the weird hair ... haha
that's just so right though, he has sported many different hairstyles in different dramas
but i think they all suit him well ... i really really like his hair in nodame cause it's so out there!!!