[Discussion] Last Friends - Nagasawa Masami/Ueno Juri/Eita

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 14th, '08, 14:21

Image Image

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 14th, '08, 14:26

epi wrote:i am so torn about whether i should watch this or not because whenever i watch drama series i always have strong reaction towards it, especially in the case of people being mean to others because of character (like ryo in this series)
That's understandable... It's a hard scene to watch without wincing. :sweat:
on the one hand i really really want to watch this because of juri ... i agree with what all of you have said here ... she has amazing acting skills and she has chosen well for her roles that portray the depth of her acting skills
i've watched her supporting roles in orange days and engine, and of course who could forget nodame
she owns all of those characters
And Swing Girls. :thumleft:

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 14th, '08, 14:28

yatta
one more person who support Eita weird hair^^
well u should try to watch the series coz it really good with great cast^^
eventhough u might hate Ryo but u might also going to pity and feel for him when he cry and beg for forgiveness for his action and after that hate him again when he still continue his DV action....
well we might going to back and forth hating and pitying his character which will be fun^^

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 14th, '08, 14:45

Ryo plays the 'contradiction' theme pretty well indeed. Like watching a train wreck, you can't tear your eyes off even though you know something bad is gonna happen. I can totally feel Michiru's uneasiness while trying to pretend like there's nothing wrong when she sees him going through her mails. I'm looking forward to the Sosuke/Michiru/Ruka face-off in the 2nd episode.

In the meantime, smile~

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 14th, '08, 16:45

Image Image

talongero

Post by talongero » Apr 14th, '08, 18:18

ill post some thoughts about the first episode...very disturbing...yet very good acting for the cast especially Juri-san. my sister hated this drama after watching the ending scene LOL shes a fan of nodame and quite shocked with the role of Juri in here. I said to her that Juri's role in this drama what makes her an amazing actress. im looking forward to the development of the characters. ive watched that interview bmwracer! Juri-san having quite a hard time practicing the motocross scenes...poor Juri-san I hope she wont get hurt anymore.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 14th, '08, 18:48

talongero wrote:ill post some thoughts about the first episode...very disturbing...yet very good acting for the cast especially Juri-san. my sister hated this drama after watching the ending scene LOL shes a fan of nodame and quite shocked with the role of Juri in here. I said to her that Juri's role in this drama what makes her an amazing actress. im looking forward to the development of the characters. ive watched that interview bmwracer! Juri-san having quite a hard time practicing the motocross scenes...poor Juri-san I hope she wont get hurt anymore.
I wouldn't worry about Juri-chan: along with being a gamer, she's a tough gal. :thumleft:

I think everyone was rather stunned/shocked in one way or another, but we'll get over it and move on with the story... And maybe that's what the director had in mind as well, rather than letting that plot point simmer/fester...

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Apr 15th, '08, 13:49

bmwracer wrote:
epi wrote:i am so torn about whether i should watch this or not because whenever i watch drama series i always have strong reaction towards it, especially in the case of people being mean to others because of character (like ryo in this series)
That's understandable... It's a hard scene to watch without wincing. :sweat:
on the one hand i really really want to watch this because of juri ... i agree with what all of you have said here ... she has amazing acting skills and she has chosen well for her roles that portray the depth of her acting skills
i've watched her supporting roles in orange days and engine, and of course who could forget nodame
she owns all of those characters
And Swing Girls. :thumleft:
It is like no one on here saw swing girls... She is a great actor, I hated her character in swing girls. But nodame is my favorite character of all time, and now juri as ruka is brilliant.
When she kissed masami she kinda looked nervous and shy, it was great acting. It was so hot to me, but less hot because juri looked like a guy. That one scence made the episode for me. I just wish I knew what they were saying... I can not wait to watch episode 2 even if it is raw again.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 15th, '08, 14:16

jigenbakuda wrote:It is like no one on here saw swing girls...
Then they're missing out... It's not a thought-provoking movie by any means, but fun and exuberant... :)
She is a great actor, I hated her character in swing girls.

Really.....? :sweat:
But nodame is my favorite character of all time
I'd have to agree... She took that role and ran with it big time... I can't remember anyone in any drama I've seen become the total embodiment of a character like Juri-chan did as Nodame...

Ack, I'm gushing... I'll shut my pie-hole now. :roll

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Apr 15th, '08, 14:56

bmwracer wrote:
She is a great actor, I hated her character in swing girls.

Really.....? :sweat:
quote]

Oh well maybe I should clarify. Someone who steals her imouto's ps2 to sell for whatever is not nice. Plus she messed up a lot and blamed everyone else. Like buying the used instruments, lol. She was like, see good as new <break> WHY DID YOU LET ME BUY THAT? lol She was funny, but I hate people like her character. Also the gyoza scene at their baito, sekiguchi said it was a bad idea to have all of them over there, lol. The movie was hilarious but just did not like her character's personality, but did thoroughly enjoy the implied relationship between her and piano boy :cheers:

No please do gush, because I am gushing over masami x juri So please gush over nodame, in fact gush over the nodame in the white composer wig like I did for 2 months after the SP

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 15th, '08, 16:11

jigenbakuda wrote:Oh well maybe I should clarify. Someone who steals her imouto's ps2 to sell for whatever is not nice. Plus she messed up a lot and blamed everyone else. Like buying the used instruments, lol. She was like, see good as new <break> WHY DID YOU LET ME BUY THAT? lol She was funny, but I hate people like her character. Also the gyoza scene at their baito, sekiguchi said it was a bad idea to have all of them over there, lol. The movie was hilarious but just did not like her character's personality, but did thoroughly enjoy the implied relationship between her and piano boy :cheers:
I gotcha.

In all fairness though, it's a comedy, so those type of events are for comic effect... In real life, yeah, that's pretty rude/mean, but it's broad humor, so I didn't take it seriously at all... :)

Interesting that you would say those things about Swing Girls, but not be offended by the slapstick of Nodame: some people at the J-Dorama forum were rather put off by the exaggerated cartoon violence... :sweat:

Oh well, can't please everyone.... :)

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 15th, '08, 17:27

I saw Swing Girls! Around a year or so ago. Loved it. And yeah, I though Juri was awesome in it. ^^

Here's the subs for episode 1: http://suketeru.livejournal.com/23111.html

Haven't check it out yet myself but it's better than nothing so those who haven't watch it, go watch it now!

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Apr 15th, '08, 17:39

bmwracer wrote:
jigenbakuda wrote:Oh well maybe I should clarify. Someone who steals her imouto's ps2 to sell for whatever is not nice. Plus she messed up a lot and blamed everyone else. Like buying the used instruments, lol. She was like, see good as new <break> WHY DID YOU LET ME BUY THAT? lol She was funny, but I hate people like her character. Also the gyoza scene at their baito, sekiguchi said it was a bad idea to have all of them over there, lol. The movie was hilarious but just did not like her character's personality, but did thoroughly enjoy the implied relationship between her and piano boy :cheers:
I gotcha.

In all fairness though, it's a comedy, so those type of events are for comic effect... In real life, yeah, that's pretty rude/mean, but it's broad humor, so I didn't take it seriously at all... :)

Interesting that you would say those things about Swing Girls, but not be offended by the slapstick of Nodame: some people at the J-Dorama forum were rather put off by the exaggerated cartoon violence... :sweat:

Oh well, can't please everyone.... :)
Well I thought the violence in nodame was so darn cute, gyabo... I still laugh. Well juri is awesome, but now I can realize how awesome because subs are out... But can not seem to download them... :scratch:

Edit: neeeevermind, I was blocking the scripts, duh, lol.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 15th, '08, 19:06

jigenbakuda wrote:Well I thought the violence in nodame was so darn cute, gyabo... I still laugh.
Yeah, I wasn't bothered by it, either... I mean, it is a comedy, after all... :thumleft:
Well juri is awesome

She is. :wub: :wub: :wub:

saki-chan

Post by saki-chan » Apr 15th, '08, 19:24

uwa, there are softsubs for it too now? i think i'm gonna end up watching this ep three times: first raw, second soft sub, third from Kioku. haha, it's good enough for it, ne?

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Apr 15th, '08, 19:42

saki-chan wrote:uwa, there are softsubs for it too now? i think i'm gonna end up watching this ep three times: first raw, second soft sub, third from Kioku. haha, it's good enough for it, ne?
It is without a doubt worth 3 watches. I am wanting another episode so bad now, but I guess I will rewatch.

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Apr 15th, '08, 22:14

Soft subs? Yea I think I'm gonna watch it three times too :D

Just finished watching the first ep yesterday.. How great is Juri, huh? I love her!! She really knows what roles to take.. I haven't been this excited about a dorama for quite some time.

Ooh I love Swing Girls! XD Every Juri lover should see it!

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 16th, '08, 05:02

Image Image

Alecsa-chan

Post by Alecsa-chan » Apr 16th, '08, 06:07

Hello guys! I finally have watched the full first episode and with subs. Thanks to suketeru@LJ

Now my thoughts
I was shocked from the veryfirst moment when i saw Masami pregnant. Thought to myself "wow this is a first in a jdrama with a je boy as she sure is expecting Sosuke's child O_O" Then i was like "is he dead ?!"
Someone said a few pages ago that probably Ruka killed Sosuke and she's now in jail. Hmmm that's a possiibility but i don't think that things will turn out so bad and creepy. At least i hope so ! Though i cannot see what else might happen to Sosuke. Maybe he will run away to recover or something and then he comes back all good and nice...

The opening theme! OMG i totally love it! All those words are so well selected to express eveyrone's major problem.

Masami's acting still reminds me of Rei from Proposal Daisakusen. In some moments she seems out of character completely. Maybe it's just me but i don't know....And when she was at Ruka's house together with the 3 friends it was supposed she was horified and petrified and scared because her boyfriend whom she loves so much beat her up but instead she was sad for a few seconds and then turned up all smiley and i mean with a very big large and almost laughing while toasting with the others. Iunderstand she was happy because she felt really protected and warmed there but i feel like Masami shouldn't have put so much happiness into the scene.

Then the Ryo x Masami scene. This was PERFECT. I like how Ryo plays his role and i must confess that when he was asking Michiru what guy was she seeing behind his back i was super scared because i was sure he would beat her up. My heart was beating so fast and i almost couldn't rezist the tension :w00t: But it wasn't that the scene when he beat her up as she gone to bring to him the photo album. I was kind of relieved but i knew that sooner or later she would end up all beaten.
Then the moment came. I couln't help myself and felt a bit of a hateful sentiment towards the guy. Does it mean he's a good actor in this kind of role or is it the general atmospehere of the drama ? Or is it just me?

I just think that Sousuke is very mad because of all those women that beat up their children and now he has on whom to free all that.

I feel that Ueno Juri is the best actress in this drama as his character is somewhat hard to play. Of course the others are great actors too but Juri is just on top of the best I just hve to mention that i love the background music that starts everytime Ruka is shown. It's so fitting. A mix of weird sentiments that gives that song.
I liked their first meeting after 4 years. First it was shown from Michiru's perspective and later on we could see Ruka's feelings when she saw her there standing in the street.
And then was when she received the message and ran to their shared place even though she knew that Michiru might not be there. Isn't the one who wrote the plot the best? :wub: And the director too.

As for Asami Mizukawa as Eri hmmm. Asami Mizukawa was in my opinion the cool type, the stylish girl. And she was like that in almost all of the dramas i saw with her. Now there's like a 360 turnaround and she plays a kind of grotesque character. Ok maybe this is not the right word but it can't seem to find the good adjective right now. I'm waiting to see how her story develops coz i have no idea what problems she might have other than maybe the unrequitted love of Takeru (Eita) ?!

Eita on the other hand looks super cool. I love his hairstyle especially when he's at the bar with Ruka and Eri :mrgreen: I knew he's a great actor and now i'm just hoping for more scenes of him. Is Takeru the first to notice Ruka's agony and her love for Michiru?

In the next episode seems like Ruka will encounter Sosuke and takes Michiru's part. I really wonder what Sosuke will say.
I just woke up and wrote this much. Last night after watching the episode i had much more in mind and lots to tell but i forgot. Weird is that even now after waking up i still have the creepy feeling the drama has created.

I'm sorry for writting that much :pale:

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 16th, '08, 08:02

raspberry wrote:
yunizuka wrote:Image

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 16th, '08, 09:36

Just finished the first episode, and I'm feeling a little sick . . .
My head and gut were in two completely different places during the Sosuke/Michiru scene. My head was thinking "hmm, this background music is really good, but they should let the scene play in a single continuous take without so much of it. Masami's lost a little weight. Good for her!" My gut was thinking "oh God, he's beating her without any feeling!" No release, no outward anger, no end to it. Punch. Kick. Kick. Kick. Stop. Hug. Go to sleep. The coldness of it -- the matter of fact roteness of it -- was terrifying. And the way Michiru and Sosuke close out the scene is perfectly done too. She's pacing him to calm down, and she's too in shock, too much in danger, to cry. It's like I felt tense during it, and then I felt happy when Ruka leads her to the party and I felt sweetness when she kissed her . . . but then after that, when the episode ended, I started to feel sick recalling the beating.

What I love about Ueno Juri's performance here is how she's almost in continuous, impatient motion. There's not one second where she's relaxed, even in the very last scene. Her eyes dart around the periphery with mistrust and stare down strangers with passive aggression. And her mouth is so clenched. If I stay here too long, somebody might catch me. She feels like she's stealing her moments with Michiru. Director and writer did a great job leading both actresses in their parts -- everything felt perfect.

Ruka's feelings for Michiru is even a little terrifying in her own right. Even in the most tender qualities, there are still hues of deep frustration, deep envy. She even rushes her kiss to Michiru. Her heart cries for her; her gut says "do it now before she catches you!!!" She kisses her for loving reasons; but it doesn't look like she expressed her love. Even in secret, it's too rushed, the essence too censored by fear. She felt her lips; she got her wish; but did it feel empty?

In various scenes, Juri's eyes show love; but her mouth still screws up into a ball of knowing anguish. There is no release. She could be Michiru's savior. She could be the worst monster of all. I don't know and I love that I don't know.
Love Eita's hair. He's SO adorable! :D
Last edited by belleza on Apr 16th, '08, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Apr 16th, '08, 09:47

Alecsa-chan wrote:Hello guys! I finally have watched the full first episode and with subs. Thanks to suketeru@LJ

Now my thoughts
I was shocked from the veryfirst moment when i saw Masami pregnant. Thought to myself "wow this is a first in a jdrama with a je boy as she sure is expecting Sosuke's child O_O" Then i was like "is he dead ?!"
Someone said a few pages ago that probably Ruka killed Sosuke and she's now in jail. Hmmm that's a possiibility but i don't think that things will turn out so bad and creepy. At least i hope so ! Though i cannot see what else might happen to Sosuke. Maybe he will run away to recover or something and then he comes back all good and nice...

The opening theme! OMG i totally love it! All those words are so well selected to express eveyrone's major problem.

Masami's acting still reminds me of Rei from Proposal Daisakusen. In some moments she seems out of character completely. Maybe it's just me but i don't know....And when she was at Ruka's house together with the 3 friends it was supposed she was horified and petrified and scared because her boyfriend whom she loves so much beat her up but instead she was sad for a few seconds and then turned up all smiley and i mean with a very big large and almost laughing while toasting with the others. Iunderstand she was happy because she felt really protected and warmed there but i feel like Masami shouldn't have put so much happiness into the scene.

Then the Ryo x Masami scene. This was PERFECT. I like how Ryo plays his role and i must confess that when he was asking Michiru what guy was she seeing behind his back i was super scared because i was sure he would beat her up. My heart was beating so fast and i almost couldn't rezist the tension :w00t: But it wasn't that the scene when he beat her up as she gone to bring to him the photo album. I was kind of relieved but i knew that sooner or later she would end up all beaten.
Then the moment came. I couln't help myself and felt a bit of a hateful sentiment towards the guy. Does it mean he's a good actor in this kind of role or is it the general atmospehere of the drama ? Or is it just me?

I just think that Sousuke is very mad because of all those women that beat up their children and now he has on whom to free all that.

I feel that Ueno Juri is the best actress in this drama as his character is somewhat hard to play. Of course the others are great actors too but Juri is just on top of the best I just hve to mention that i love the background music that starts everytime Ruka is shown. It's so fitting. A mix of weird sentiments that gives that song.
I liked their first meeting after 4 years. First it was shown from Michiru's perspective and later on we could see Ruka's feelings when she saw her there standing in the street.
And then was when she received the message and ran to their shared place even though she knew that Michiru might not be there. Isn't the one who wrote the plot the best? :wub: And the director too.

As for Asami Mizukawa as Eri hmmm. Asami Mizukawa was in my opinion the cool type, the stylish girl. And she was like that in almost all of the dramas i saw with her. Now there's like a 360 turnaround and she plays a kind of grotesque character. Ok maybe this is not the right word but it can't seem to find the good adjective right now. I'm waiting to see how her story develops coz i have no idea what problems she might have other than maybe the unrequitted love of Takeru (Eita) ?!

Eita on the other hand looks super cool. I love his hairstyle especially when he's at the bar with Ruka and Eri :mrgreen: I knew he's a great actor and now i'm just hoping for more scenes of him. Is Takeru the first to notice Ruka's agony and her love for Michiru?

In the next episode seems like Ruka will encounter Sosuke and takes Michiru's part. I really wonder what Sosuke will say.
I just woke up and wrote this much. Last night after watching the episode i had much more in mind and lots to tell but i forgot. Weird is that even now after waking up i still have the creepy feeling the drama has created.

I'm sorry for writting that much :pale:
At my thoughts
I thought that juri-chan was in love with eita. Maybe not love , but I think that she liked him. It is just they way they acted in the bar, and when he asked to move in. I believe masami's betrayal (she was talking about it in the beggining, that she betrayed juri-chan) was that she took eita from juri (the first boy she has had) and it might be eita's baby. Eita might have confronted ryo and died in the process. Wild theory, but it makes a lot of sense to me...

Alecsa-chan

Post by Alecsa-chan » Apr 16th, '08, 09:59

jigenbakuda wrote:At my thoughts
I thought that juri-chan was in love with eita. Maybe not love , but I think that she liked him. It is just they way they acted in the bar, and when he asked to move in. I believe masami's betrayal (she was talking about it in the beggining, that she betrayed juri-chan) was that she took eita from juri (the first boy she has had) and it might be eita's baby. Eita might have confronted ryo and died in the process. Wild theory, but it makes a lot of sense to me...
And then i thought that Eri (Asami Mizukawa) would fall in love with Eita while Eita would fall for Juri. But wow i haven't thought of a Eita x Masami relationship till now. But you are right your theory may stand up. But that would make Michiru a coward because she just ran away from facing Ruka.

Ruka sure liked him after he agreed with what she said there in the bar. That's the main reason she accepted him in the house (she would knew Eri would let Takeru to live there anyway). But she likes him as friend.
I don't know what to believe anymore but i'm sure the ending will give us a shock.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 16th, '08, 13:35

Image Image

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 16th, '08, 15:53

haruna_hamasaki

Post by haruna_hamasaki » Apr 16th, '08, 15:58

Where to watch all these clips?

kirakira_luv

Post by kirakira_luv » Apr 16th, '08, 16:37

after finish watch ep.1 i thought i love this drama <333

koyama22

Post by koyama22 » Apr 16th, '08, 20:23

Wow! Super good first episode! I think all of the actors/actresses are perfectly cast for their parts. Mizukawa Asami really adds a brightness to the drama, I really like her weirdness and the way she expresses her character. Ueno Juri is also playing quite a different character in this drama, and pulls it off perfectly; she's a great actress. And Eita is good(well, when isn't he good? haha), and his hairstyle is pretty weird, but cool.
2 kisses in the first episode of a drama, wow... and one is girlxgirl! Definately not the typical start to a drama. I really, really like it. And to all you that dislike Nagasawa Masami :P, I think she's perfectly fine for the role. Her character is pretty tormented and she shows a mixture of sadness and happiness(that may be faked, especially at the end since she just went through all that with Ryo's character). I agree, she usually does act the same; looking cute, acting cheerful, hesitating...but that is her base. Her characters are based the same, but have variations pertaining to the different roles. Utada's theme song really fits, its nice to hear her music in another drama.

Elien

Post by Elien » Apr 16th, '08, 21:03

I´ve just finish the first episode and i think it´s cool 8) I like the actors, they are doing great job. My favourite character is Ruka so far, I kinda understand how must she feel, sticking out a bit from "normal" girl type. And all your theories makes me smile (I meen it in a good way ;o) )
Regarding Sosuke, think about the job he is doing and why is he doing it. Maybe he went thrue stuff like that as a child, his father was beating his mom and him. Maybe he was abandoned and he fears it will happen again... I don´t like his behaviour but i do understand it´s not easy for him. (poor Ryo-chan :P his acting is cool).
Eita is super lovely, his hair, the way he smiles and speaks, how he rides the bike :mrgreen:
Masami´s acting is very similar to ProDai but maybe it´s just cause the role she playes. Lucky girl, YamaPi first and now Ryo-chan :lol
Rukas character is something I´ve never seen in any dorama before, it´s very refreshing. I like how she kicked the guys ass and admire her for living in a world strongly occupied by guys (I´m speaking about motocross :whistling: )
I dont really get the last girl, Eri? She is crazy, yes, but? Hope there will be something more in next episodes :glare:
Is it only me or do you also think that it´s stupid to ride cross/mountainbike in a city and put on that think which make it stand :blink :scratch:

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 17th, '08, 01:25

@koyama22,

I thought Masami acted well in her part too. Thoughts . . .
Michiru/Ruka is a variation of the kawai/kogal (i.e. NaNa) setup, and usually the kawai lead is the center of the story. Certain scenes (i.e. the fight, the sakura imagery) knowingly riff off Masami's junai idol image (i.e. "ZOMG Ryo is kicking Masami-chan!!") Even the part where her mother's boyfriend tries to grope her resonates more due to her popularity with older men.

She has the talent to say one thing and think the very opposite at the same time, and usually the smiley sheen of her characters is driven more by self-absorption and self-preservation than good will. I don't think her Michiru will be any different. In the first episode, she isn't cracing love; she's really craving a home. Ruka has a home; she's craving love (and release.)

Michiru will probably be the most selfish and dishonest character of the four. She may be the Love of the story, but misery loves company.

Also, it's possible we may be seeing a psuedo-harem situation with Michiru. I.e. this might be a literal Furaba. When somebody really tries to touch another, that person's private demon comes out.
@Elien,
Yeah, I think Sousuke's contradiction is similar to being raised by alcoholics; he hates it, but he is also conditioned to it. And it looks like Michiru is already familiar with that environment, and partially she may be habitually attracted to it. Michiru understands Sousuke's abuse is reactive and not especially personal. In a way, she knows how to handle his violence (and her boss's bullying) better than most people, and that is its own sign of strength.

Outsiders (i.e. Ruka) will not understand this, will be deeply horrified by this kind of relationship, and even when trying to intervene, will not be able to enter their private circle.

Upon second light, even Sousuke's affection seems coloured by a finely tuned jealousy. Just as Michiru's feelings for him are also amplified by her desire to get the hell out of her current situation.
Hopefully Eita's story features more in Episode 2. On paper, I think his character is the most complicated.

Jackiki

Post by Jackiki » Apr 17th, '08, 01:56

Really enjoyed this first episode!! It's almost like a "Nodame" reuinion, but in a very different world. Should be an interesting season... :lol

I'm trying to start up a blog with drama reviews and other stuff - I don't know if I'll continue it, but this drama was my first attempt at a review! If you're interested, take a look: http://tmijs.blogspot.com/

I'd love any comments!!!

Can't wait till the next episode!

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Apr 17th, '08, 03:35

@Belleza: Wow, some in-depth review.. Nice. :D
I agree that Michiru could be the most selfish and dishonest character and I don't know if it's because of her acting skill (I don't think she's a good actress.. having said that, I *do* love Sekai no Chuusin de, Ai wo Sakebu that she starred in :P) or lack of it, but somehow I don't get her at all. At least on the first ep. She just came off as a very fake, very empty character to me. And, I know this is subjective, I personally cannot get how come a person, especially a woman, can stand being treated (abused) like that. And *still* apologized and wanted to come back. I just don't get it.. (yet?) So I couldn't help shouting "Stupid girl!" to the TV. :P But all that aside.. I do like the first ep and couldn't wait for more!
bmwracer and ^Yuuki: Where could I download all those clips of Masami and Juri doing some shows? Man I want them! :P

Jackiki: Just read your review.. man, spot on. :D I agree with you on so many points..
Okay, first, I TOTALLY agree that Masami is just a bad actress. Okay, you didn't actually say that but I do agree that she's flat and.. fake. Fake smile, fake laugh. Ugh. I don't think she's that pretty anyway. Um.. I'm getting too harsh, eh? But seriously, she's playing the main character so she should try harder.. I hope she'll improve on the coming episodes..
And I also TOTALLY agree that Ryo was dull! *gets beaten by fangirls* I know the guy is super hot super cute and I heart him but come on.. And being an abuser is just SAITEI!! I'm not really a JE fangirl and this is the first time I see him act and um, not really impressive. I know the reason why I hate him is prolly because of his character but honestly, even before he showed his evil side, he was still dull. I heart him, so I hope he'll perform better..
I lovelove Eita and Asami so, no complaint from me. Fell in love with Eita since Orange Days and Water Boys, and Asami is just such a cool and pretty girl. Love them both! I just hope they'll be given some bigger portion in the story (esp Asami who felt like just a barely supporting role on the first ep).
I know I'm babbling too much but.. hands down to Juri. I love her and there are only a few Japanese actors that I consider as really good actors but I think she's approaching goodness.. She nails the part! The way she walked and talked was very Ruka! Especially if you consider that she's far from that in real life (saw her on a SMAPxSMAP ep and the real Juri seems more like Nodame) She's just.. awesome. Can't help squee-ing at her and especially in the last scene.. KYAA~ I just love her more and more. And the last scene deffo added something to the dorama.
Thank you to whoever read whatever I just typed. TMI indeed. :D

On a side note, I just heart Prisoner of Love (and all the songs in Hikki's HEART STATION album, actually) It suits the dorama perfectly. I just love the opening song clip.. With the whiteness and everything. Especially when Juri screamed with the text "Agony".. Kyaa~

koyama22

Post by koyama22 » Apr 17th, '08, 04:07

Yeah, Eita's character is really interesting to me...I wonder how he will develop.
Eita's character seems to have the most mystery surrounding him. Is he gay? Was that just a joke from his good friend? What is his and Asami's character's relationship, or what was it? So many questions in this drama, its really got its audience thinking.

I wonder how long Ryo's character will be in the drama. He is shown on the poster, but we'll see. I think he will continue to be harsh towards Michiru, but continue to feel regret and apologize after since his actions are in the moment and out of anger. Perhaps he is acting on impulse, he possibly was treated the same way as a child. He is a strange character.
Many of the females on here seem to dislike Nagasawa Masami; I don't think she's the best actress either but, to me(as a guy, at least), she is pleasing to watch. She is definitely cute.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 17th, '08, 04:40

scherzando wrote:bmwracer and ^Yuuki: Where could I download all those clips of Masami and Juri doing some shows? Man I want them! :P
I got all of my videos from Veoh. :thumleft:

strawberrynkiwi

Post by strawberrynkiwi » Apr 17th, '08, 04:52

I am a Masami fan but I do agree that she just keeps playing the same roles over and over again. So far everything I have seen her in is... lovely girl a little bit stubborn, then her and her laugh. (Everyone should wait for Masami in The Hidden Fortress) I enjoy watching her actor though, she does make subtle changes in her roles. Maybe it is hard for her "look" to be casted in other outstanding/interesting role.
But too bad, she is popular in Japan, especially to mens in their 20s-30s. Apparently everyone wants to get marry with her. I agree, she has the Japanese qualities of a good wife, by her "public image"

I have to say Juri is doing great. The hair cut looks great. I love her character... so hot :wub:
Last edited by strawberrynkiwi on Apr 17th, '08, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 17th, '08, 04:54

Many of the females on here seem to dislike Nagasawa Masami; I
Japanese female audience are nowadays love/hate with Masami (and I went through my "Aki!!!" phase too but she's WAY overexposed nowadays.) Whereas, uhh, they're "love to hate" with Erika-sama. If *she* played Michiru, the female audience would be cheering for Ryo. :D I'm really tickled to death that Juri and Masami get along so famously. I didn't think it was possible to put these two divas in the same show, let alone the same stage

@scherzando,
And, I know this is subjective, I personally cannot get how come a person, especially a woman, can stand being treated (abused) like that.
I saw a lot of that with friends (MY parents were sweet to spoiled ol' me :D ), so the Michiru/Sousuke scenes -- at least as how the director and writer intended the scenes -- played pretty true to me. Sousuke isn't so overcome with rage that he can't control himself. Rather, it's so easy for him (for lack of a better statement, he pleasures himself with this violence -- it lets him expel his jealousy from his body) to fall back on old patterns, as if somebody you hated was acting as you. Sousuke's very disassociated from Michiru when he beats her. There's almost no feeling. And Michiru herself is probably thinking along the lines of "Bad Sousuke is out now. Look at this spot on the floor. Look at this spot on the floor. Look at this sport on the floor." You just survive it and then try to forget it. At least he cares, you think. He's not really like this, you think. He's trying, you think. It's better than having nowhere to go, you think.

The other side is, when somebody who would never do that to you comes along, you don't know how to have a friendship/relationship with that person. You feel distant from that person too. And this is where Ruka comes in. Ruka would never do that to her. Then again, if Ruka explodes, HER rage would be truly monstrous. She is not a brutal person, therefore she will not know if brutality arrives in her heart. Her violence would come purely from the heart, and it would be as chaotic and incendiary as Sousuke's violence is methodical and cold.

So, if Michiru is more selfish than her pitiful appearance, Ruka is more dangerous than her alienated situation is, perhaps moreso than Sousuke. Ueno Juri is going to win another award for this role. :D
She just came off as a very fake, very empty character to me.
Yeah I don't think Michiru's deeply, deeply attached to Sousuke. They have a codependent relationship. She wants to be taken care of, perhaps "owned", and Sousuke wants to nurture/protect/control somebody.
On a side note, I just heart Prisoner of Love (and all the songs in Hikki's HEART STATION album, actually)
It's definitely one of her best albums. Certainly the most personal. Even now, Prisoner of Love makes me think more of her marriage than the show.

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » Apr 17th, '08, 06:21

First off I just enjoyed reading everyone's opinion, theories and feeling towards the first episode. While I do agree with what everyone says about the complexity of these characters and I am also very excited with the cast...I must say that it wasn't as good as I expected it to be.
Don't get me wrong I love the complex storyline about love, but I just hope the writers don't screw up the character development and how they are intertwined in each other's lives. It's officially a year since I started watching j-doramas and I LOVE the fact that they are at most 11 episodes each, but this first episode of Last Friends seemed too rushed. Like the writers, director and editors just added too much gunpowder in the barrel.

Timing of the episode: Is it me or did anyone feel like the story was rushed without being too plausible? First off, the revelation of the violent beast side of the boyfriend? Can I just say that there should have been more incidents to provoke the guy to smack and kick his girlfriend like 50 million times??? Like geez...that was TOO MUCH. Second, the *gasp* LAST SCENE??? I was seriously doubting the show screaming "wait...she ain't gonna kiss her right????" and too my surprise she actually did it. So much for making such poignant pregnant moments on dramas huh?

Music: While I love the theme song and insert quiet version of Hikaru's "Prisoner of Love," but I think there was an excessive use of score/music...especially the girls choir humming thang... As mentioned in some earlier posts, the music was jarring indeed. I felt that it was distracting how the music was used excessively, exploiting the moment. I agree that music can heighten the emotion and the scene, but this is where the director needs to have faith in the actors' abilities to convey. I felt like the director tried to use the music to take us by the hand and walk with us through the scenes as if we weren't smart cookies ourselves to decipher a "disturbing" or "happy" moment. Come on...reading all these assumptions and theories regarding the future direction of this drama makes me give major props to all of you :thumleft:

Editing: Sorry, but my eyes got too distracted and tired from all these fast cuts. I get the point of the editors using them to create a sense of intensity and pandemonium, but they were just too excessive becoming too distracting. Becoming something like a low-level B-movie.

Acting: Can I just say that Juri and the character Ruka totally rocks my socks!! I think the cast did a superb job...except I couldn't help but dislike Ryo and Masami. First off, (please don't hate me) JE boys are too feminine and not really the best actors out there. Sure, Ryo looks appealing to the eyes, but for crying out loud that guy struts down the street like he's a runway model. (i.e. when he's on duty for his child social service). Dude, drop the "i-look-hot-model-ego" and become a REAL person in a business suit.

Masami...based on my observations for ProDai...this gal is good at being "herself." However, I feel sorry for how she is always stuck in the cute, lotus blossom roles. I couldn't help but scream with frustration at how she takes on that role as the model Japanese woman who rarely speaks for herself, but takes in the fault....

But thank goodness this drama has outspoken and lively female characters who take a stand for themselves. By the way...is this the first female x female scene in a J-Dorama? I couldn't believe my eyes!
Phew....sorry for writing too much...I hope I made sense, but I just had to get that off my chest. Despite my "harsh" or nit picky opinion...I am still excited to see what and how this drama unfolds. I am just glad that this drama is stepping "beyond the boundaries"...where I hope it isn't there to to criticize, but to develop and open minds into these issues of relationships. Most of all I am very grateful to be on the boat ride with all of you. Can't wait to read and discuss the upcoming episodes with you all.

Oh, and thank you suketeru for soft subbing this first episode.

p.s. guess this ain't going to be something like Coffee Prince huh? Cuz I didn't laugh at a single scene at all :-(

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 17th, '08, 08:16

@zeiroc,
Is it me or did anyone feel like the story was rushed without being too plausible? First off, the revelation of the violent beast side of the boyfriend? Can I just say that there should have been more incidents to provoke the guy to smack and kick his girlfriend like 50 million times???
Pacing seemed about right for a topical J-drama. One difference between a J-drama and K-drama treatment of the same subject would be that the latter would lean toward a character study whereas the former uses situational evidence to draw out the themes.

For example, a "K-drama" treatment might have spent about half the episode covering the issue of the cell phone. Maybe throughout the episode, we see Michiru and Sousuke playing phone tag at their respective jobs. The stuff about her family situation and his abusive past would not have been included, but we would maybe observe through conversations that something was "off." Then, toward the end of the episode, Sousuke spies Michiru's phone and then we would have seen the fight. This would seem like a less complete treatment of Michiru/Sousuke, but you get a similar picture of Sousuke's duality and Michiru's present unhappiness. Episode one would have also covered Ruka and Takeru's story as well. The viewer would pick up that Michiru and Ruka were the "two leads" and Sousuke and Takeru were the "support", but Michiru and Ruka wouldn't actually meet until episode 2.

Because Michiru is our narrator, the first episode spent most of the time drawing out her life with all her situations. Her misery and marginal lifestyle are drawn very literally (and to a degree, same is true with Ruka; neither are subtle.) The arc of the first episode is really how Ruka's starting to enter into Michiru's life again. We actually know much less about Ruka and Ryo than we think we do; we just know how each treats and feels toward Michiru in very different ways. Takeru and Eri essentially make token appearances; their situations need to be covered too. I don't think we'll get a proper handle on everybody until episode 3 or 4.
Editing: Sorry, but my eyes got too distracted and tired from all these fast cuts. I get the point of the editors using them to create a sense of intensity and pandemonium, but they were just too excessive becoming too distracting. Becoming something like a low-level B-movie.
That's one thing I liked about the episode, how the director shaped much of the episode like a thriller. Ruka's chase kinda reminded me of Run Lola Run. :D When she's swinging around a curb, the camera actually follows her.

And there's just SPECTACULAR crane and tracking shots used throughout the episode. How many cameras were they using? The scene with Ruka and Michiru talking underneath sakura blossoms made me swoon. It was a continuous take starting from medium distance. As the lens slowly lowers down, the blossoms, which were somewhat obstructing our two girls, starts to reveal them, and then we go from a medium shot into a close up. Sigh!! As I watching that, it *kinda* reminded me of the first scene in Ruler of Your Own World. Beautiful, beautiful!!

Another thing I loved was the ground-level camera placements during the Michiru/Sosuke buildup scene. Because it's like that, the room starts to look very small, which is how the scene feels. Like that they're not enough distance that can protect her from him.

Realistically, I don't think the show can keep up this stylish delivery (especially since there's no SMAP lead to uhhh "subsidize" the costs of doing it that way.) But I was absolutely loving what was obviously a heavily storyboarded episode.
Sure, Ryo looks appealing to the eyes, but for crying out loud that guy struts down the street like he's a runway model. (i.e. when he's on duty for his child social service). Dude, drop the "i-look-hot-model-ego" and become a REAL person in a business suit.
I was a little worried about Ryo in this role. First, he as a Johnny is going to feel really uncomfortable alienating NEWS fans with this very abusive character. Second, he's known more as a cool weather kind of actor. Maybe not as bland as Pi, but not especially scary. But I thought he did okay. I don't think Sosuke's character is going to be a "chew the scenery" aggro type anyway.

There's a lot of rehearsal work done in J-dramas, and you can pick up that Masami and Ryo probably got the most direction. The thing with Masami is that before 2006, she was just a up and coming actress who was coming off a hit movie and was landing support parts in bigger ensemble dramas. She was much more serious in interviews, and she wasn't being promoted as the new Nanako/CM Queen. I thought she had potential -- she delivered the emotional foundation in Dragon Zakura, and the best scenes were between her and Abe Hiroshi. Same with Yasashi Jikan, which was a lower key and moving human drama with her and Nino.

To Ueno Juri's credit, she hasn't let Swing Girls and Nodame Cantabile type her as an actress. It's really about the work for her, not any idol image. Same with Inoue Mao.
I couldn't help but scream with frustration at how she takes on that role as the model Japanese woman who rarely speaks for herself, but takes in the fault....
Yeaaahhh . . . but Micheru needed to be depicted that way, probably to establish rapport with the female audience. If she was proud like Cleopatra, maybe she wouldn't be in this mess anyway. Then again, maybe Ruka doesn't adore her as much as she does either.
Cuz I didn't laugh at a single scene at all
Have no fear. Eita's hair is here! :lol

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Apr 17th, '08, 09:18

Gosh this thread sure has grown a lot since I last posted! Everyone here anticipating ep2 that's gonna air in less than four hours? xD

I didn't know suketeru@LJ has soft-subbed ep1, that's awesome. And I accidentally read a bit of your spoiler, Alecsa-chan. I'm feeling kinda disturbed now. I think I'll still wait for Kioku's hardsubs to be released. Don't want to watch it over too much because it'll just grow stale on me. The last time I checked Kioku's page, they're 66.6% on editing, so hopefully it will be released within the next few days. *prays hard*

Someone posted a link to that variety show that a lot of people has been posting (and re-posting I think) the screencaps of... The clip can't load on YT. Can someone else care to re-post the link? Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

Alecsa: No no, don't worry, you did put them under the spoiler tag. Just that I accidentally clicked on it and read the first few lines. LOL Eeee~ I'm itching for ep2 now. <_< That sounds weird. I think I'll just go shower now. *scuttles off*
Last edited by untitledmelody on Apr 17th, '08, 09:35, edited 2 times in total.

Elien

Post by Elien » Apr 17th, '08, 09:19

zeiroc wrote:
Ryo looks appealing to the eyes, but for crying out loud that guy struts down the street like he's a runway model. (i.e. when he's on duty for his child social service). Dude, drop the "i-look-hot-model-ego" and become a REAL person in a business suit
In the scene when he is in the park aproaching the small kid, first thing which came to my mind was: MatsuJuns catwalk :blink I dont know how much money do social workers get in Japan, but such stylish clothes and apartment doesnt look right.
I think Ryo was choo kawai when we first saw him waiting fort Masami, when he waved at her, his hand was so small and when they entered his apartment he looked smaller then her :lol
It´s not easy for Ryo to put aside his "Sexy Osaka Man" pose, I hope he will get better in this way..
What do you think about Ryos kissing? Plain in my opinion, japanese are not good in these things :glare:
I like how everyones theories colaborate :mrgreen: [/quote]

Alecsa-chan

Post by Alecsa-chan » Apr 17th, '08, 09:28

untitledmelody wrote:I didn't know suketeru@LJ has soft-subbed ep1, that's awesome. And I accidentally read a bit of your spoiler, Alecsa-chan. I'm feeling kinda disturbed now.
:w00t: I'm really sorry. Where? Is it my fault?! i thought i used spoiler tags :pale:

edit: i did use spoiler tags :scratch:

edit2: ah ok i was feeling guilty.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 17th, '08, 12:01

Yeah~ Nice to see some great discussions going on here now that most have seen it with the soft-subs. My thoughts are pretty much along the same lines as belleza's. Masami Nagasawa might not be the chameleon that is Juri Ueno but she fits the role alright. And I thought her acting was decent enough. Juri still steals the show though. Don't think any other actress would have pulled it off as convincingly (seriously, playing a JE boy's enemy of love...^^;).

scherzando: Some of the links have been posted a few pages back so you might wanna check those out. The one I just posted though, is from Waratte Iitomo(not the Spring Special) episode on the 10th of April. I got it from a private community. I think there's at least 4 shows they went to promote that day. The rest should be up on youtube or veoh.

Episode 2 should be airing in Japan around this time. *waku,waku* =3

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 17th, '08, 13:29

^Yuuki wrote:Juri still steals the show though. Don't think any other actress would have pulled it off as convincingly.
She's terrific, ne? :wub:
I think there's at least 4 shows they went to promote that day.
That explains why the two are wearing the same clothes on all of those shows.. :)

Meecha

Post by Meecha » Apr 17th, '08, 14:04

hmm, is it just me who didn't feel quite satisfied watching ep 2 :roll
felt like everything just out of place, i dunno, i just don't get that same feeling when i watched ep 1
the scene where michiru got beaten again because she came home late was a bit dumb imo, she could have called him that she's going home late! :glare:
when sousuke is about to hit michiru again at the hospital then ruka ran in, i just didn't feel the tension
:pale:
bleh, may be just me :unsure:
and i was not sure about the previews :scratch:

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Apr 17th, '08, 14:33

^Yuuki wrote:Ryo plays the 'contradiction' theme pretty well indeed. Like watching a train wreck, you can't tear your eyes off even though you know something bad is gonna happen. I can totally feel Michiru's uneasiness while trying to pretend like there's nothing wrong when she sees him going through her mails. I'm looking forward to the Sosuke/Michiru/Ruka face-off in the 2nd episode.

In the meantime, smile~
This link doesn't work for me, the video won't load on YT. Does anyone know anywhere else that I can watch it? Did someone mention it's the Waratte Iitomo Spring Special? Just need to confirm so that I can d/l it from here at DA cos I think it has been uploaded.

Yes, I agree that Juri steals the show in this drama, because of her contemplative character. She conveys her thoughts really well through her facial expressions, I can really feel her emotions. It's even more apparent in ep2.
Sousuke's obsessive side is even more intense and IMO Ryo is pulling off this role really well. The way he stared at Michiru and the hostile glances he threw at Takeru gave me the chills. As usual the cameras worked wonders during that psychotic hair-cutting scene, gawd I actually yelled out due to the weight of the scene. The music, the camera angles, Michiru and Sousuke's expressions built up the mood. The main thing that really works for me about this drama is how so much of each character's story is told not as much through words as through their facial expressions and actions. That makes the drama particularly realistic since we don't just say things out in real life, it's more through reading people's expressions and their actions. Michiru's fear and hesitation, Ruka's concern and desperation for Michiru, Takeru's underlying fear, Sousuke's obsession and suspicion... They are all conveyed very well.
By the way, is Ruka sick?? Why was she checking out some hospital's urology dept on her laptop?
Some fangirling now (can't resist... this should probably be in the Ryo thread but oh well)... It kinda disturbs me to watch Ryo (as Sousuke) getting more and more violent. Gawd he was trying to hit her with a chair in the hospital! Talk about psycho. O_O I found myself unconsciously glancing at Ryo (who's all smiley and so unlike Sousuke) in my NEWS poster on my wall... LOL

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Apr 17th, '08, 14:36

I've just finished it a moment ago, & what to say.. uhm I don't think there's much things to explore in this eps , uhm,
Ryo's character is a real psycho, he makes me feel sick & ..disgusted. Getting that jealous over a girl friend to strike her name on the album , nuts :nuts: I wonder how far he'd go, bleh, I want him to get stabbed or sthing in the end (lol) In this eps, they don't show much 'contradiction', I was expecting that they'd develop that part by showing how he helps the little kid from the 1st eps. but, nothing.. I just percieve how double faced he is towards people & Michiru..

Kateru & Ruka share lot of intimate moments in this eps.. :D , it's nice to see how they open to each other.. After this eps, I can feel how important Michiru is to Ruka, though I'm not sure if it's simply 'love' .. &looks like Kateru will move in the share house in next eps XD yay

Michiru... I don't know what to say, she's the same. just stayed there to be bullied & get hurt. She doesn't try to do anything to change the situation ,lika "I'm the one who get hurt, that's it, I'm scared, I dunno what to do, someone has to help me" :blink .I'm wondering when they make her move out of her psycho bf apartment& finally get into the share house.. I think that's when the drama really starts ^^;

I'm bit disappointed in Asami's character, Eri, I didn't expect them to develop this character as much as the others, but I don't want her to be there just to entertain the scenes either.. Except the little moment from eps 1, I don't see anywhere her 'solitude'. well not that I wish her to have problems too, just, more depth.. I don't understand why they add that guy (her colleague) in, so random & out of the picture...
Last edited by Nomanymore on Apr 17th, '08, 15:13, edited 4 times in total.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 17th, '08, 14:56

You guys are fast! My connection is too bad to watch anything live...It appears that Ruka said something pretty nice in the episode...
"私のミチルに触るな!!!"
=3
untitledmelody: Yep. From Waratte Iitomo! Spring Special. I have no problem loading it. But that's only some of the compilation of scenes with 'Last Friends' from the show. It's on veoh in 3 parts too.
Last edited by ^Yuuki on Apr 17th, '08, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

khaibest

Post by khaibest » Apr 17th, '08, 14:57

where did u guys watch it online??

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Apr 17th, '08, 15:09

Hi Ran!
Yes I agree that there's not much development in Asami's character yet, I think it will only come later in the series. We're only at ep2 so let's not rush ne. Still I like Eri as she gives a light-hearted twist to the otherwise 'mysterious and dark' main characters.
I know, Sousuke is the ultimate psycho. He's making enemies out of all of Michiru's friends and that's just crazy. Can't she have her own friends?! He's even jealous of Takeru and actually forced her not to cut guy's hair anymore. That's just nuts. (I love Ryo making those intense faces btw. :heart:)
IMO Can't Michiru just call it quits with Sousuke?! I would've left his home for good after getting slapped (when she came home late). She's gotta stand up for herself. It kills me to watch her so uneasy whenever he appears. That's not what being in love is supposed to be.
^Yuuki: Thanks for the clarification. I guess it's no harm to d/l Waratte Iitomo since I'm following three dramas this season. xD About what Ruka said... I heard it but can't remember now... What's that kanji in the sentence?? LOL "My Michiru"... Sweet.

khaibest: Via live-streaming on programmes such as Keyhole TV or TVUPlayer.

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Apr 17th, '08, 15:23

Streaming links

http://fourlc.com/channel1/5/08fh/20080417_595.html
http://fourlc.com/channel1/5/08fh/20080417_596.html

@untitledmelody : I know, Asami is one of reasons I watch this drama so I'm little demanding, I guess lol
Last edited by Nomanymore on Apr 17th, '08, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Debitto24

Post by Debitto24 » Apr 17th, '08, 15:26

I saw 2nd chapter, but i couldn´t see all episode because i had go to hospital...snif snif..i wanted see it!!!! So interesting...Michiru is becoming more stronger..i love her!!!!! And of course i love Ruka (or ryuka i don´t know so well what´s the right name...) so lesbian, yeah!!! My japanese friends told me they love that serie heheh, i´m so happy, because i thought, kiss between girls....because anime or manga is normal but real (well series..) different ne?...so happy!!!!!

If you wanna see japanese tv you can do:

KeyholeTv: http://xorsyst.com/japan/watch-japanese-tv-online/

If you wannasee tv and radio around the world you need that: http://www.radios.com.br/

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 17th, '08, 15:29

The first episode was so good that it left me speechless.

I wrote an entire character analyses and semi-review on my livejournal (which I'm too lazy to copy and paste here ^^;;) last night and felt that this series is definitely one that's worth waiting a week for the next episode.

Everyone's characters are so complex and I can't wait to see their development and how they will influence each other as the story progresses.
Judging from the start of the first episode, we get an idea that a person, presumably Ruka, has already died, right?

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 17th, '08, 15:35

^Yuuki: Thanks for the clarification. I guess it's no harm to d/l Waratte Iitomo since I'm following three dramas this season. xD About what Ruka said... I heard it but can't remember now... What's that kanji in the sentence?? LOL "My Michiru"... Sweet.
Basically it means "Don't touch my Michiru!!". I don't know in what condition it was uttered but possessive Juri-chan~ Me likey. =3 Unlike Sosuke's type of possessiveness, this was probably said while trying to protect Michiru instead of being jealous. Just hope it stays that way...but Michiru is making things hard ne~ Though I understand that it's really not that easy to escape from such a relationship if you already have issues to begin with...Well, still 9 more episode to go so of course it won't be that easy.

And about the debate on who's gonna die as indicated in ep.1's beginning....
I don't think it's Ruka. Cause Michiru was 'talking to'/'addressing' Ruka the whole time. Then she mentioned that perhaps she could have done something to prevent 'that death'. She didn't use 'your death'. And since Eita already had his monologue too in Ep.1.... My guess is it's Sosuke.
Last edited by ^Yuuki on Apr 17th, '08, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

zsuness

Post by zsuness » Apr 17th, '08, 15:36

I have to say, I really liked the 2nd ep.
I find it quite believable that Michiru would stay there.. and it's not to stay there 'to be bullied" but I guess she still has faith in that relationship and in Sosuke, though obviously she becomes more and more aware that Sosuke is a wee bit obsessive.. I think the worry on her face when he shows up at the beauty salon or at the hospital shows that she's just getting to know him (both his faces).. and while a lot of ppl would just pack their stuff and get out of there asap, many wouldn't.. for various reasons. I dunno if the concept or the motivation behind Michiru staying at Sosuke's even after the beating is because 1) no matter what, Michiru loves Sosuke 2) she's confused and weak/afraid (and hey, lets not pretend that everyone's so strong, ok? ppl can be weak.) 3) the other option, to go back home to her unloving mother is as bad as this. At least Sosuke loves her. Probably. In his own way. So she believes.

Sure, it seems, the best option for her will be the house, so I'm wondering when is she going to move in with the others.. not that a moving would solve a psycho obsessive bf problem..

That hair-cutting scene was really intense, imo. Both were brilliant in it. I think Masami is quite good at portraying Michiru. I can feel her fear. Ryo's getting better at this character. Finally, in ep2 he managed to make me forget it's him there acting. I blame it on the rushing of the plot that in ep1 I found myself fangirling over Ryo instead of freaking out at the DV stuff... I think they made up for that in this episode, though I hope they will explore Sosuke's side in more depth..I have to say, I don't like how conscious the switch between public!Sosuke and dv!Sosuke appear now. --> lol, I hope they won't use such clichés as Sosuke doing something with Ruka's bike and cause her some injuries or whatever.. that photo album/crossing out the name is already lolable.

Can't wait to see Ruka beating the crap out of Sosuke. :whistling:

I wonder who's gonna die in the end.. I feel like Sosuke's death would be quite obvious. And I don't think it's Ruka.

khaibest

Post by khaibest » Apr 17th, '08, 15:37

hey untitledmelody thnx for the info!! =)

zaq

Post by zaq » Apr 17th, '08, 16:08

:cheers:

thanks for the links Nomanymore...

*resumes* the quest for the DL links... *

Rori

Post by Rori » Apr 17th, '08, 16:12

Nomanymore wrote:Streaming links

http://fourlc.com/channel1/5/08fh/20080417_595.html
http://fourlc.com/channel1/5/08fh/20080417_596.html

@untitledmelody : I know, Asami is one of reasons I watch this drama so I'm little demanding, I guess lol
Cheers for the links!

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 17th, '08, 16:46

ah thanks for the clarifications and inputs, everyone :)
While I would hate for Sosuke to die even though I'm at the point of hating his flaws, I would hate for Ruka to die even more.

Meanwhile, it's still a pretty unfortunate thing for Michiru's baby to grow up without ever knowing his/her father...that is if the baby is Sosuke's and he's the one who died.

But there is still the possibility of the friend being Eri...or maybe I'm just thinking too much into this.

Anyway, from what I read about episode 2 from those who have already watched it, Ryo's Domestic Violence Disorder is getting worse and the possessiveness trait of his is becoming even more overbearing. :(
I hope new fans of Nishikido Ryo won't take his role as Oikawa Sosuke to heart and end up mixing up the two. I know lots of fans did that when they watch "1 Litre of Tears" and would mix up Ryo with "Haruto". =X

I have a friend who's determined to separate Ryo and his roles by calling him Sosuke when referring to this drama because she believes that Ryo is no longer "Ryo" but "Sosuke" there. I think I'll do the same because I don't want to associate Ryo-chan as anyone but himself, wells with the exception of his role as Sekino Hiroyuki (Sekki) but that's a different story. XD

crabbyrat

Post by crabbyrat » Apr 17th, '08, 18:14

@lilswtangel: Actually your prediction was mine as well!
I felt like the letter that she wrote to her and asking "how the sky is over there" just gave me the initial instinct that it was Ruka who died. Considering that she said that they could never meet again, she betrayed her, and crumpled up the letter at the end made me think it even more. And I think that how it was phrased in the episode, how it was just said "the death", I think it still can be open to interpretation to be Ruka's. I guess we won't know for sure!
I hope people won't mistake Ryo for Sosuke either. But I'm also hoping that people who admire his acting abilities from this drama will become fans of Ryo.

Thanks for the streaming links!

Rori

Post by Rori » Apr 17th, '08, 18:52

Episode 2
I can't sit through these Sosuke/Michiru scenes, even the ones where he's not throwing her across the floor :roll It just makes me feel so uneasy that something is about to happen. I took a big breath of fresh air when the scene changed.

And jeez, this time he was gonna hit her with a chair, it was a good thing Ruka stopped it, when Sosuke is beating her (Michiru) it makes me feel sick to the stomach. I hope she gets out of that house soon.

As for what Michiru said at th start of the first episode, the first one who came to mind who 'died' was Ruka. But it's still much too early to know.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Apr 17th, '08, 19:35

Ahh the week felt so long. Thank you so much Nomanymore! I can't believe how soon we are able to watch it. (Raw, that is.)

To Belleza on the J-drama/K-drama thing: IMO a lot simply has to do with how a K-drama is normally about twice as long as a J-drama (16 x 60min versus 11 x 45min), so the story doesn't start settling until ep3 or 4. It's probably also got to do with their broadcast schedules: it's so important for a J-drama to capture as big an audience and as much attention as possible with the pilot, whereas 2 eps of a K-drama are shown every week. I can see why some folks thought things were kind of rushed in ep1, but I was comfortable with it.

Pacing is such a strange thing. Last season's Bara no nai hanaya felt fast because it was deliberately edited in a choppy way and it sounded like everyone was cutting into everyone else's sentences. The plot actually advanced far more gradually. Apart from whether you like the story or not, the staff certainly did a fantastic job creating that illusion.

Ep2:
The recap: They sure make certain you don't miss the point of Nagasawa Masami's narration in ep1: "if I had the power to know what people were thinking maybe I could have prevented those horrible events, that death..."

Guys, rest easy - it cannot be Ruka who's dead. Anyone but her - Ruka's little brother, even. Michiru is addressing her all the way, and even if you are talking and writing to someone dead you wouldn't refer to the person's death as "that death" (あの死). Sousuke's still the most likely one - as someone wisely said before, so far Michiru, Ruka and Takeru have voiceovers about the bad stuff happening in the future; he doesn't. (Well, OK, neither does Eri.)

Eri seems pretty isolated at work - that scene in ep1 where she tries to greet her coworkers but gets no response. And I thought I heard Ruka say that all the previous tenants of the share-house moved out together - was it because of Eri? I see her as the type who can't stand being alone, but ironically this need of hers ends up repelling people. 'Solitude' indeed. I have a feeling we're going to find out plenty of things about this woman of mystery, not all pleasant.

But she looks great in that uniform.

9:03: Introducing her dad already!? Haha, yes, okay, Ruka doesn't have that in mind, but... She's amazingly relaxed with her father; don't see such close father-daughter relationships often.

Key line: "I just don't want to do anything to hurt him."

Photo album: Sousuke just ups his creepiness factor one notch. This guy entered Michiru's home under false pretenses so he could get his hands on the friggin' album that means nothing! Gosh.

Btw I agree with what someone here said before: this production team tends to overdo the BGM. Maybe having Sousuke say those things without any music would create an even better effect.

Urology!
"Operation"
"Getting a second opinion"

When in ep1 Ruka hesitated to go into the changing room when others were inside, I thought: 2 possibilities. One, she's really paranoid of what other women will say and think about her appearance, or Two, there is something different about her body. But I thought the second was just way too controversial for a J-drama. Now it appears not.

Debut of Yamazaki Shigenori as Ogura Tomohiko, a man who's afraid to confront his wife and her lover in their own apartment - who calls his own wife 'okusan', for God's sake - but can sneak back to take his LCD TV and a few DVDs. This guy is a riot!

Candy: Haven't watched it myself. (Heath Ledger RIP.) What's funny is, this was the exact same movie Akashiya Sanma and... Nagasawa Masami went to watch in Hatachi no koibito (ep2). The same sexy scene too. Is this some really popular movie in Japan or something?

DV: Up yet another notch. Even more than the physical abuse, what really torments a victim, what tears her apart from the inside is the psychological abuse. I haven't watched a drama this anxiously since... no, not ever.

"Don't touch my Michiru!" Great scene. At this point Ruka may have done what most people would do instinctively, but as I thought, once she realizes who she's coming up against, she's just going to get more protective, more possessive.

And Michiru... sigh. She just won't resist, will she? Either because she feels he can change, and he's still her best chance of finding security with a man, or because it's in her nature to go with the flow until someone pulls her out of it. She'll always be chasing down that photo album, figuratively speaking - she can't or won't snap out of it on her own, take charge of her own fate. In ep1 you could defend her by saying, OK, probably it's the first time Sousuke's done that to her, so in her shock and bewilderment she just went along with the phone and the photo album nonsense and forgave him afterwards. But now? No, she needs help. And looks like Takeru's got the message too.

Nagasawa's performance here shows that there really is such a thing as being suitable for certain characters and not others. Even if Nagasawa went ahead and cut her hair boyish short, like it was in Toubousha or Yasashii Jikan, could she pull off Ruka's character? I don't think so, and it's not her fault she can't. I just feel lucky to see her play roles that match her appearance and other qualities, and play them well. In real life she may not be like Michiru at all, but whether by some part of her nature or by superb skill, her Michiru so far is pitch perfect.

Except for his sex phobia, Takeru seems the most well-adjusted guy in this drama. (OK, the hair too.) No wonder the father assumed he was Ruka's boyfriend. Do you all see how in the relationship chart that's on the official website, they have a *heart* arrow from Michiru to Takeru? If this is what's going to happen, probably it began with his perceptiveness about Sousuke.

Great, now I just want to watch ep3.

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 17th, '08, 21:22

It's probably also got to do with their broadcast schedules: it's so important for a J-drama to capture as big an audience and as much attention as possible with the pilot, whereas 2 eps of a K-drama are shown every week.
That's especially true nowadays , since it seems much more rare now for shows to build on ratings from the first episode. Probably should be noted that this episode, like many pilots, ran about 15 minutes longer than the other episodes would run. A lot of things were introduced into the story. I think it would be kinda shame if most of the episodes ran below 10.
Pacing is such a strange thing. Last season's Bara no nai hanaya felt fast because it was deliberately edited in a choppy way and it sounded like everyone was cutting into everyone else's sentences.
Yeah, that could be a signature style of this director. He also worked on Bara No Hai Hanaya and Galileo; the connection with the latter seems more clear when you think about how the Michiru/Ryo scenes were shot and edited. Given the casting, the show probably has a plus production budget, which would also make for a more stylish show. The tracking shots in this show were just out of this world!

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 17th, '08, 21:24

thanks lzydata for the great recap of episode 2.

I was skimming through it but since I tend to get lost without subtitles, your summary was a great help in understanding it further.
Any explanation yet on Sosuke's DV? It kind of worries me a little to see him work at the Child Welfare Division when he himself doesn't know what to do about his own disorder. I wonder if the DV was inactive until Michiru moved in and that somehow his "curiosity" over Michiru's personal life (hence the cell phone) triggered it to become active.

Around her friends/housemates, Eri seems like the type to bring everyone together rather than "isolating" herself. I don't understanding why she doesn't seem to have any friends at work... I actually want to get a deeper understanding on her story because she doesn't seem like a hateful girl.
According to suketeru @ lj, she's considering soft subbing episode 2 as well~
http://suketeru.livejournal.com/23111.h ... 31#t175431

Her subs for episode 1 were pretty great between~ :) But I'm still grabbing Kioku's hardsub version when it gets released. XD

Call me crazy, but I tend to collect my dramas RAW with soft subtitles AND the hardsubbed versions when a Fansub group picks them up.

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Apr 17th, '08, 22:03

lilswtangel wrote:
According to suketeru @ lj, she's considering soft subbing episode 2 as well~
http://suketeru.livejournal.com/23111.h ... 31#t175431

Her subs for episode 1 were pretty great between~ :) But I'm still grabbing Kioku's hardsub version when it gets released. XD
I should go encourage her, I really think her subs were great. I was very impressed, it was very good. <scoots over to suketeru's page>

bakababa

Post by bakababa » Apr 18th, '08, 00:49

Another awesome episode!

And...the rating is UP !!! to 15.9% now. I hope it's going to be higher and higher, over 20% !!!

oceansportrait

Post by oceansportrait » Apr 18th, '08, 01:55

Here are my thoughts on episode 1:
Along with mostly everyone who's posted, I agree that Ueno Juri did a pretty impressive job with her portrayal of Ruka. I've loved her ever since I watched "Swing Girls" years back, and this proves (along with "Nodame Cantabile") that she has an acting range that goes beyond just one type-cast character.

Nagasawa Masami on the otherhand...ever since I watched enough of her works to start following the "pattern" of all her characters, I've been calling her "the poor man's Hirosue Ryoko" ^^. She looks like her, and at first seems to have the same level of acting chops, but watch her for any longer than 5 minutes and you start seeing she has none of the depth that Hirosue Ryoko can bring to the table for her characters. I don't think it's completely her fault that her acting skills have improved little over the years. She is actively promoted with a "fresh, young, friendly" image, so most of her acting roles thus far have had to fit with that image. But I AM a bit disappointed that she hasn't gotten the character down pat even though she's played similar characters in different series in the past.
Nishikido Ryo...all I have to say about him is....LEARN TO WALK PROPERLY! What is up with these JE kids? I first noticed his "walk" in the Ichi Rittoru no Namida drama, but it became GLARINGLY obvious in the Ichi Rittoru no Namida special where he played the "doctor". He walks like he thinks he's a friggin' model. I mean, I understand that in JE you have to do everything you can to be noticed, but if he's serious about becoming an actor he has to BECOME these characters. And a doctor doesn't walk the way he does. Nor would a child welfare worker walk like a runway model ^^;

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » Apr 18th, '08, 02:08

@ belleza:

Thanks for your kind response to my long long post :-)
One difference between a J-drama and K-drama treatment of the same subject would be that the latter would lean toward a character study whereas the former uses situational evidence to draw out the themes.
I can totally see that...guess I've been watching too many Kdramas lately and got blindsided by it's drama formula when watching this J-drama.
Ruka's chase kinda reminded me of Run Lola Run. :D When she's swinging around a curb, the camera actually follows her.

And there's just SPECTACULAR crane and tracking shots used throughout the episode. How many cameras were they using? The scene with Ruka and Michiru talking underneath sakura blossoms made me swoon. It was a continuous take starting from medium distance. As the lens slowly lowers down, the blossoms, which were somewhat obstructing our two girls, starts to reveal them, and then we go from a medium shot into a close up.

Oh most definitely I enjoyed that crane shot too! BEAUTIFUL! Just love those cherry blossoms, representing the start of a new, yet fragile and short life. I guess the main reason why I am so distracted is that I am downloading the high quality, mostly clear, version rather than watching it from streaming sites...:lol
To Ueno Juri's credit, she hasn't let Swing Girls and Nodame Cantabile type her as an actress. It's really about the work for her, not any idol image. Same with Inoue Mao.

Are you also a fan or Inoue Mao too? I admire...love watching Juri and Mao doing what they do best, which is what they do and not about flaunting an idol image.
Have no fear. Eita's hair is here! :lol

LOL!

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 18th, '08, 03:00

oceansportrait wrote:Nishikido Ryo...all I have to say about him is....LEARN TO WALK PROPERLY! What is up with these JE kids? I first noticed his "walk" in the Ichi Rittoru no Namida drama, but it became GLARINGLY obvious in the Ichi Rittoru no Namida special where he played the "doctor". He walks like he thinks he's a friggin' model. I mean, I understand that in JE you have to do everything you can to be noticed, but if he's serious about becoming an actor he has to BECOME these characters. And a doctor doesn't walk the way he does. Nor would a child welfare worker walk like a runway model ^^;
LOL. :lol

There's one of your differences between actors (Juri-chan) and wannabes (Ryo). :mrgreen:

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Apr 18th, '08, 03:19

Thanks lilswtangel. I'm glad my recap helped even though it's totally incomplete and biased :) As a fellow watcher I know the feeling of anticipation all too well, but as a subber (I'm doing Edison no haha now) I also realize it's hard to do subs quick and well unless you're already obsessed with the drama. So kudos to Kioku and suketeru.
belleza wrote:That's especially true nowadays , since it seems much more rare now for shows to build on ratings from the first episode. Probably should be noted that this episode, like many pilots, ran about 15 minutes longer than the other episodes would run. A lot of things were introduced into the story. I think it would be kinda shame if most of the episodes ran below 10.
bakababa wrote:Another awesome episode!

And...the rating is UP !!! to 15.9% now. I hope it's going to be higher and higher, over 20% !!!
Yeah belleza, I should have mentioned the 15-min topup thing. Heck, Iryu 2's pilot was two and a half hours.

Maybe I'm just elitist, but in my experience ratings aren't really helpful in determining whether you will like a show or not, unless they're very very high (in which case you should check it out, if only to know what the fuss is about) or very very low (in which case the drama probably does suck). But isn't it amazing that the ratings for Last Friends are picking up?

Nishikido Ryo's walking: I guess in ep1 I wasn't really paying attention to his character (before the DV), but it's just like oceansportrait and someone before said. Maybe the director is wising up; I don't recall any Sousuke walking scenes in ep2. Good enough for him to look scary standing there in the street staring up at Michiru, like he's there the whole day.

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Apr 18th, '08, 03:38

Wow, so many 'commentaries'. Is it just me or is this drama surrounded by more hype than usual dramas? The Japanese studios should produce more controversial plots then. xD

^Yuuki: Thanks for the clarification about that line. Yes, Ruka's obsessiveness is different from Sousuke's.

About Ruka and her body, does anyone think she is going/went for a sex change operation? I know that sounds really far-fetched but if it was some other problem concerning urology, I don't think it'd actually be embarrassing to share a changing room with other people. Actually, I thought that the reason why Ruka looked uncomfortable in the changing room was because she was harassed by her trainer, like someone mentioned before here.

On Ryo's walking: LOL Yes I also noticed his model-ish gait in ep2... Not so much ep1 though. And yes in the 1 Litre of Tears SP, it was really obvious because he was filmed walking along outside the hospital building. Yeah JE boys were trained to walk that way, you seen the same thing in MatsuJun's walking and also YamaPi's (though his is considerably less obvious).
bmwracer: Whoaaa Isn't calling Ryo a wannabe kinda taking it a bit too far? Though I'm his fan so I might be biased (haha)... Still, he's doing a good job as Sousuke. My take is he's just conditioned to walk like that and it's hard to break such habits. It takes more effort, so maybe it'll be better as the drama progresses.

lilswtangel: I should shake hands with your friend. I tell myself to disassociate Ryo from his characters as well, especially Sousuke. That's why I'm always referring to him as Sousuke when talking about him in the drama. In fact I tend to do that with other actors too (when I do remember their character's name. =P)
What drama was it that Ryo acted as 'Sekki'?

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 18th, '08, 03:48

@untitledmelody: I think it's great that you are able to disassociate an actor from his/her roles. Not many people can and I can honestly admit that there have been once or twice when I ended up hating on an actress/actor for the villainous roles she/he portrayed. :)

Sekki (Ryo) is the main character from the jdrama, "Ganbatte Ikimasshoi". It also stars Uchi Hiroki (ep 1-2 before he got suspended) and then Taguchi Junnosuke (ep 3-10 replacing Uchi).

PrettyBoysFansubs subbed it and they used to be available on Dara's Nishikido Ryo site (Ryotan.net) and her PBF site but they are currently closed so you can grab the downloads over at her livejournal: http://dontcallmeboo.livejournal.com/

sorry for being off-topic everyone~ :)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 18th, '08, 04:19

Just finished watching Episode 2... So far, so good. :)
Man, that Sosuke is a psycho dirtbag... And I think that's being nice... I hope they get around to explaining why he's that way really soon or I'm just gonna have to crawl into my PC and kick his abusive ass...

Michiru is stuck between a rock and a hard place like so many abused women you hear about in the news: as bad as staying is, leaving might even be worse... Thing are obviously not going to get better.

They need to develop Asami-chan and Eita-kun's roles more: I can't even remember what their character's names are... :sweat:

Not sure what Ruka was reading online at that medical site, but I'm sure that'll be elaborated on in the near future... Not surprisingly, Ruka lives and dies when it comes to Michiru, so we can see how virtuous she is, defending Michiru from Sosuke..

Hmm, I wish they'd NOT show scenes from the upcoming episode: it gives too much away: like for episode 2, it was anticlimactic to see Ruka crash her bike, because we knew it would happen from last week's preview.... Grrr.

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Apr 18th, '08, 05:02

Just finished watching ep2..
I lovelove the "Watashi no Michiru ni sawaru na!" scene! I mean, Sosuke was gonna hit Michiru with a freakin' chair! Ok, his DV is getting way too extreme. He's getting creepier, really, and I'm glad that Takeru realized it from earlier in the episode and now Ruka knew it too. Now I just wonder how the hell Michiru can get away from him. Even though she moved to the share house, that doesn't mean that her crazy bf wouldn't chase after her and try to hit her with a chair again, right?

Was quite shocked about the whole urology thing. I never thought Ruka would go that far. Is she thinking about having an operation? Hmm..

Same with you, Nomanymore, I'm a fan of Asami too (totally loved Kiyora!) and was kinda disappointed that her character didn't really develop and came off like a happy-go-lucky supporting role. I really hope we'll get to know her character more on the coming episodes..

I love Eita.. :wub: And he looked better and better, right..?

I really hate seeing Sosuke abusing Michiru and I hope that each episode won't 'feature' his abuse until the series end.. It seems like he's going to go crazy again on the third ep and that's just tiring. I mean, ENOUGH! Somebody should put that psycho in jail.
bmwracer wrote: There's one of your differences between actors (Juri-chan) and wannabes (Ryo). :mrgreen:
LOL. :D Thank god people noticed his catwalk too! I didn't really pay attention to it on the first ep, but his strut became more obvious on the second ep! Man, he has got to stop it! It kinda reminded me of Kimura Takuya (who I lovelovelove). I'm a huge fan and I might be biased, I think he's a wonderful actor but sometimes he couldn't keep his idol image behind too. In Karei Naru Ichizoku, he kinda strut and I just wanted to scream "Act, damnit! You're Manpyo Teppei now!" :P

Hands down to Juri.. Man this girl is awesome!

@Izydata: There's a heart arrow from Michiru to Takeru? Seriously? *too lazy to check* Ooh.. so we ain't seen nothin' yet, huh? Still a lot more twists and turns to see..
That was Candy? Why did it look like some cheap movie? :blink: (Heath.. may he rest in peace)
I agree that good actors should know and be aware of what they are capable of and should choose roles that suit them. Of course they have to look for challenges, but if the role doesn't suit the actor, then, shikata ga nai wa.. Being a good actor doesn't mean he should play a difficult role just because it is difficult, ne? He should know whether he suits the role or not..
belleza wrote: Certainly the most personal. Even now, Prisoner of Love makes me think more of her marriage than the show.
Yea what's the story behind that brief marriage? IMO ever since Deep River, Utada continued to make great, solid albums. I didn't listen to Exodus (does it really suck?), but I just love Deep River, Ultra Blue and, of course, Heart Station. Sorry, OOT. :P

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Apr 18th, '08, 05:08

Yeah I have the raw now. Just to touch up on what I said before:
Oh bmwracer, these were the key terms flashed when Ruka was looking at the website. I missed the fourth one in my last post.

Jyunshin Medical University Hospital Urology Department
Details of the operation
Getting a second opinion
Gynecologist

And I forgot about Michiru thwarting her evil senpai's heel attack. Maybe there's some hope for her after all.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 18th, '08, 05:18

scherzando wrote:Hands down to Juri.. Man this girl is awesome!
That, she is. :thumleft: :wub: