[Discussion] Zettai Kareshi / Absolute Boyfriend

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
rairai

Post by rairai » Jun 10th, '08, 01:57

i agree with you guys with soshi and riiko.. i want them together than her with night. i know night's the main character of the story, but its just sad they just cant be together, given that he's a robot..
i just hope it wudnt end the way the manga did..
instead of night dying, i think its better if he was reprogrammed and continued to be a robot boyfriend to others.. that way, it wudnt be that sad for him.. just a thought :D

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jun 10th, '08, 02:39

Personally, I am one of the few that can not stand her and Soushi together. I just don't like their chemistry but I sort of like her and Night's. The whole cast just does not 'click' for me.

I still wish the drama would have been cast differently since that is what is disturbing me the most. Something is 'missing' for me in the drama compared to the manga and the only thing I can think of is the casting. The actors annoy me in these roles even though I have liked them in other roles... *sigh*

The only person that I personally would have cast the same is Namikiri! LOL

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 10th, '08, 14:09

At this point, Night is not re-programmable. He would have been back in earlier episodes but its too late now. Also you can't really blame the actors either. The flaw is in the script itself. They just follow the script and do what they're told. But I suppose there could have been better actors around too. It still wouldn't save the script though.

saby

Post by saby » Jun 10th, '08, 14:30

Personally, I am one of the few that can not stand her and Soushi together. I just don't like their chemistry but I sort of like her and Night's. The whole cast just does not 'click' for me.
*thinks so too*

xhoochiex

Post by xhoochiex » Jun 10th, '08, 15:09

I personally like both the manga and drama although I won't say that the drama is a good representation of the manga but then again most manga turned into dramas aren't exact replicas of each other for the sake of time or just personally preferences from the producers. I think how the story is being told in the drama is what makes the drama different from the manga. Unlike the manga, Kronos Heaven in the drama is not a company from the future which might partially explain why Night acts more robotic than human in the drama or maybe the producers wanted to emphasis the difference between robot and human. Also Riiko in the drama is an office worker vs. being a high school student might make her more mature in the sense to think Night is just programmed to like her (but at the same time not realizing that Night's love might be something more than just the programming) and makes it harder for her to accept Night's love. Riiko in the drama also has a dream of becoming a pastry chef which makes the drama less about romance than the manga. But yeah that's just my opinion and overall I find the drama to be funny and cute.

Does anyone know if the drama is just going to be 10 episodes long? If it is just 10 episodes, I guess that means next week's episode will be the last one and I can't wait to see:
How Riiko would react to Night's breakdown and Soshi's reaction to finding out Night is a robot

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jun 10th, '08, 15:11

I think the actors are alright, and the acting is fine, too. They just lack chemistry. The romance part of this drama just doesn't work.

Lifo

Post by Lifo » Jun 10th, '08, 15:16

I stopped at episode 5 because it really got boring. As much as I'd want to try those cream puffs, I'd say get them outta the show! They focus TOO MUCH on the cream puffs issue resulting in a lack of romance in the drama. Are things going to get better after this episode?

RonniLeigh

Post by RonniLeigh » Jun 10th, '08, 15:31

From a purely entertainment perspective I feel the drama is certainly cute; although, I wouldn't say that it's the best I've ever seen. I was reserving judgment on the characters and story in the earlier episodes since I was slightly put off by how extremely robotic Night was made out to be -- and how Soushi was a far less compelling member of the love triangle than he was in the manga (he's very sweet in the drama, but I liked the stronger sort of "brooding" attitude he had in parts of the manga). I feel like this puts a significant amount of distance between Riiko and Night to the degree that even the audience has trouble feeling that they want to see Night and Riiko together (especially since they establish the "love" relationship between her and Soushi so early in the story that you NEVER got the sense that she ever had feelings more than a slight affection for Night). Without a more "human" connection between the two of them, it lacks tension. The producers/directors appear to focus more on Soushi and Riiko's relationship, with only intermittent instances of a deeper connection between Riiko and Night -- almost like an afterthought. It almost felt to me, especially in the beginning, that activity between Riiko and Night was stuck in at various places to fill in holes in the rest of the storyline. As the episodes have progressed, though, I like Night's gradual development. Of all the characters, he appears to be the only one with any visible character development going on. From that perspective, I've begun to feel more and more like I would prefer to see him and Riiko together (in spite of the impossibilities) than her with Soushi. I always preferred that relationship over Soushi and Riiko...even in the manga...and due to the way he is being portrayed in the drama, I am getting to that point again. It's likely this drama will only be 10 or 11 episodes, but they've moved so slowly with the characters, drawing out development and using a lot of time on some rather unnecessary scenes, that I feel like it's going to be a very sloppy and abrupt ending to try to wrap things up quickly...

Still...with all of that said, I think it's really rather adorable, and I'm looking forward to how the producers have decided to end it. I honestly hope that since they've already changed the story dramatically, they'll change the end as well and surprise the viewers.

P.S. I agree about the cream puffs. I thought it got a bit ridiculous how much time and attention they spent focusing on them. I don't feel like that part of the story did anything to enhance the drama.

daisyamapi

Post by daisyamapi » Jun 10th, '08, 15:41

this dorama become more interesting.........
n more funny

i love it

crisdrag

Post by crisdrag » Jun 10th, '08, 19:55

The ending will be abrupt for sure. I just saw ep. 9 and I'm not very happy. To many useless scenes and to little time for the romance. I don't know how the writer of the manga feels but I would be very upset with the production.
The manga has a fantastic idea, a robot who is capable of true love even more so than some humans, and because of this the girl really falls in love with him and does the strangest thing: she chooses a robot vs a human. I wanted so much to see that in the drama too. I mean, Riko and Soshi together is just plain boring if you ask me! I can find dozens of dramas with this kind of subject....but Riko and Night would have been DIFFERENT. I will start reading the manga again because I find it 100 times more romantic than the drama. For certain, if I wouldn't have read the manga I would have like it like a cute jdrama with cute actors and funny scenes but having read the manga I expected a LOT more.

By the way, the same leading actors were in "Regatta". The drama did horrible at ratings (though I never understood why) but they had a lot of chemistry there. For the very romantics I would rather recommend this drama.

crisdrag

Post by crisdrag » Jun 10th, '08, 19:56

So sorry guys!
I put the SPOILER tag but it seems it didn't work.

RonniLeigh

Post by RonniLeigh » Jun 10th, '08, 20:18

crisdrag wrote:
The manga has a fantastic idea, a robot who is capable of true love even more so than some humans, and because of this the girl really falls in love with him and does the strangest thing: she chooses a robot vs a human. I wanted so much to see that in the drama too. I mean, Riko and Soshi together is just plain boring if you ask me! I can find dozens of dramas with this kind of subject....but Riko and Night would have been DIFFERENT.
I agree completely. In the manga, you really do feel the emotional angst that should naturally be involved in a story like this (a girl really honestly loving a robot in spite of all the impossibilities it entails). The manga's ending worked because Watase Yuu was able to really communicate Riiko's love for Night to her readers and for that reason was able to elicit a strong emotional response in the end (I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard people say they sobbed at the end!). In my opinion, Riiko in the drama seems to regard Night with the kind of affection one has for a special stuffed animal or some other such thing but certainly not with romantic love.

I think I'm holding out hope though that they'll redeem it at the end. *Fingers crossed* ;)

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jun 10th, '08, 20:22

crisdrag wrote:So sorry guys!
I put the SPOILER tag but it seems it didn't work.
It needs [/spoiler] at the end of the spoiler. The first time you click the button it starts the spoiler tag and you get an asterisk on the button to remind you to click it again when you've finished typing the spoiler part. Or you can just type it all out, select the text to be hidden, and when you click on it the whole tag will go into place.

crisdrag

Post by crisdrag » Jun 11th, '08, 01:24

for ep. 9
Does anyone know what Riko said to Soshi in the last scene?

emil775

Post by emil775 » Jun 11th, '08, 01:34

no, it isn't even out on d-addicts yet! must...download...epi 9...and then subssss!

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Jun 11th, '08, 01:39

Episode 8 was boring... Maybe because I watched Fated To Love You Episode 12 before it... Dx What a tearjerker... Anyways, It would have been better if they made the scenes with the other guy similar to the Manga, I liked how they changed the story from the manga but that episode wasn't that interesting. Ratings are dropping.. I'm not really surprised, even though I like the show. Abe Tsuyoshi looks gross in this drama, his picture of dramawiki makes him look better, I hope he doesn't look like that in Qi Lin Guan Zhi Lian.

Iwakuralain16

Post by Iwakuralain16 » Jun 11th, '08, 06:17

crisdrag wrote:for ep. 9
" Me too, Always" and something about love. That is all I could get out of it... I am not good at all with Japanese though. >_> So yeah, it seems like she is agreeing with what he is saying. AAAAH
It's so sad though. Night looked like he was having problems with coping with the emotional pain. or... he was all "Why does it hurt if I don't have a heart but it feels like I have one?!?!". I feel so bad for him!!

It looks like next episode, Night will start acting up and Riiko will return to spending alot of her time with him and decide that it was foolish to respond back to Soshi's feelings. And then Soshi will find out he is a robot and will start the whole "I lost her to a robot?!?!" thing.. maybe... aah!

khmai_kandi22

Post by khmai_kandi22 » Jun 11th, '08, 07:07

My highlight of episode 8 is when Night responded to the landlord lady what 02's name was.

T-O-S-H-I-K-I (Night spelling it out first)

Then says...
Toshiki-san desu!

I kept cracking up at that part :lol

crisdrag

Post by crisdrag » Jun 11th, '08, 10:14

Iwakuralain16 wrote:
crisdrag wrote:for ep. 9
" Me too, Always" and something about love. That is all I could get out of it... I am not good at all with Japanese though. >_> So yeah, it seems like she is agreeing with what he is saying. AAAAH
It's so sad though. Night looked like he was having problems with coping with the emotional pain. or... he was all "Why does it hurt if I don't have a heart but it feels like I have one?!?!". I feel so bad for him!!

It looks like next episode, Night will start acting up and Riiko will return to spending alot of her time with him and decide that it was foolish to respond back to Soshi's feelings. And then Soshi will find out he is a robot and will start the whole "I lost her to a robot?!?!" thing.. maybe... aah!
O No! I knew she was saying something about liking but I kind of hoped she was thinking of Night. Me too, I am very sorry for him, creating something like him and then developing feelings so he could be rejected over and over again.....it's just cruel!
So Sad!

Foxyaria

Post by Foxyaria » Jun 11th, '08, 10:29

Could they be thinking of doing a second season?

I know some dramas can be wrapped up well in the final episode despite it looking like there's no way in ep9 but can this one can be?

Meecha

Post by Meecha » Jun 11th, '08, 14:06

ep 9
omgggg poor Night :(
i feel like hugging Night when he heard Soshi and Riko convo
goddamn Soshi knows that they're a couple right
why does he have to confess :cussing:
i like the parts in the park though, very funny :wub:
i'm so sad about the next ep :-(
oh no night

morimoli

Post by morimoli » Jun 11th, '08, 16:32

Zealousy wrote:Episode 8 was boring... Maybe because I watched Fated To Love You Episode 12 before it... Dx What a tearjerker... Anyways, It would have been better if they made the scenes with the other guy similar to the Manga, I liked how they changed the story from the manga but that episode wasn't that interesting. Ratings are dropping.. I'm not really surprised, even though I like the show. Abe Tsuyoshi looks gross in this drama, his picture of dramawiki makes him look better, I hope he doesn't look like that in Qi Lin Guan Zhi Lian.
I agree about it being boring, so far it was my least favorite episode. It might be because I'm hoping Soshi and Riiko end up together and it keeps leaning further away from that...but even so, I didn't even find the arc about 02 that entertaining.

I just don't think it's realistic to have Riiko and Night come together in the last 2 episodes--Riiko has only shown affection for Night in non-romantic ways. I like the show, but it's kind of frustrating sometimes...

jica

Post by jica » Jun 11th, '08, 19:46

I'm glad I didn't drop the drama, even though I don't have high expectation on how the drama will end. Actually, I don't even know in which way I want it to end. O.o

Riiko and Soshi? No. If they were the true pairing, then I feel Night's part is totally wasted in this drama, why put in a robot in a triangel love drama if he didn't even move the girls heart.

Riiko and Night? Will they be able to make that realistic?? I mean, Riiko's feeling towards Night is as those for a pet, I don't know if I will believe she suddenly starts to love him in this short time. Also like somebody else mentioned, feels like she takes Night because no human loves her....

I guess the reason to why I feel more for the drama is because Riiko annoys me less now, maybe because she shows her robot some more appreciation or because I've got used to her way. ^^;
02 freaked me out. What's the problem with him? He's evil. EVIL. Locking Night into a room, starts a fight violently, force Riiko to come with him despite she doesn't want to. And what's with that 'I'm superior, I'm superior..." thing. He doesn't really focus on Riiko the way Night does, he just wants to show to Night that he is a better robot. In that way he is more human I think, wanting to satisfy his own pride... or whatever you can call that. But really, I think he is mean, plotting evilly. He even smiled evilly outside Riiko's door. Night seemed more pure, like an innocent child who haven't seen the world, knowing nothing since nobody taught him, or tainted him. That is part of his charm.

02 also kept the fact that he is robot secret from Riiko, thus her different treatment. And could 02 really make Riiko more happy, I mean, the problem is still the same, although a better model, he is still a robot. She wants a human. Besides, the appearance was totally different, another face, another body building. (Hehe, I prefer Night... ^^;)

One more thing, Night's creator is starting to freak me out too. What is that guy thinking? I know he is proud of his creation and doesn't want people to shut down his robot, but letting the same model go out for a mass production knowing its flaws..? It's like he would like to be some god or something. I wonder how that thread will end.
EDIT: Ending
EDIT: Maybe I would prefer the ending like this, in line with the manga: Soshi loses the love battle, going somewhere. Riiko finds out she loves Night though he is a robot and wants to end up with him. But Night is shut down due to the company finds him too dangerous since he starts to think of his own. So Night dies, and Riiko ends up with nobody. That will be a bitter but sweet ending. :whistling:

*gets bricked*

crisdrag

Post by crisdrag » Jun 11th, '08, 20:24

jica wrote:I'm glad I didn't drop the drama, even though I don't have high expectation on how the drama will end. Actually, I don't even know in which way I want it to end. O.o

Riiko and Soshi? No. If they were the true pairing, then I feel Night's part is totally wasted in this drama, why put in a robot in a triangel love drama if he didn't even move the girls heart.

Riiko and Night? Will they be able to make that realistic?? I mean, Riiko's feeling towards Night is as those for a pet, I don't know if I will believe she suddenly starts to love him in this short time. Also like somebody else mentioned, feels like she takes Night because no human loves her....

I guess the reason to why I feel more for the drama is because Riiko annoys me less now, maybe because she shows her robot some more appreciation or because I've got used to her way. ^^;
02 freaked me out. What's the problem with him? He's evil. EVIL. Locking Night into a room, starts a fight violently, force Riiko to come with him despite she doesn't want to. And what's with that 'I'm superior, I'm superior..." thing. He doesn't really focus on Riiko the way Night does, he just wants to show to Night that he is a better robot. In that way he is more human I think, wanting to satisfy his own pride... or whatever you can call that. But really, I think he is mean, plotting evilly. He even smiled evilly outside Riiko's door. Night seemed more pure, like an innocent child who haven't seen the world, knowing nothing since nobody taught him, or tainted him. That is part of his charm.

02 also kept the fact that he is robot secret from Riiko, thus her different treatment. And could 02 really make Riiko more happy, I mean, the problem is still the same, although a better model, he is still a robot. She wants a human. Besides, the appearance was totally different, another face, another body building. (Hehe, I prefer Night... ^^;)

One more thing, Night's creator is starting to freak me out too. What is that guy thinking? I know he is proud of his creation and doesn't want people to shut down his robot, but letting the same model go out for a mass production knowing its flaws..? It's like he would like to be some god or something. I wonder how that thread will end.
EDIT: Ending
EDIT: Maybe I would prefer the ending like this, in line with the manga: Soshi loses the love battle, going somewhere. Riiko finds out she loves Night though he is a robot and wants to end up with him. But Night is shut down due to the company finds him too dangerous since he starts to think of his own. So Night dies, and Riiko ends up with nobody. That will be a bitter but sweet ending. :whistling:

*gets bricked*
I like your ending very much. It's the perfect ending but I don' t see it happening because of the way Riko reacts. Have you seen ep.9? I think she tells Soshi she likes him too and Night almost dies of a heart attack...isn't it funny??? I don't think the company will shut him down..I think he will die of sadness and Riko will personally throw him into the garbage, because she's quite an insensitive girl!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 11th, '08, 21:55

jica wrote:

Actually 02 was somewhat that way in the manga. 02 in the manga kind forced himself on her. The battle in the manga was more intense though ^^; I wish there was more fighting between the two robots.

And Narimiki isn't freaky. He's more like a dad who wants to let his child develop. He never expected him to grow out of his program and it makes Night special so he probably wants to see how far Night will go. As for mass production, I don't think he's really thought too much about it. He just wants the funding to continue his research. I doubt even a replica will develop a personality like Night did. It was a special case. Narimiki himself doesn't even know how it happened.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jun 11th, '08, 22:03

Hmm... at this point my ideal ending would be... (forget realism)
Soushi and Night say the heck with this fickle, rude, insensivitive tart. Then they run away together. They become the subject of their own very moe shounen-ai spinoff manga. Soushi's older brother and ex-girlfriend wake up in bed together after an intense sugar high from all the desserts in this drama leads them to get married while under the influence. They live happily ever after. Mika gets some therapy and starts a support line for other compulsive and backstabbing rivals. After being refurbished and reprogrammed, 02 becomes the property of Riiko's landlady. For her bad karma Riiko is hit by a truck, but Namikiri manages to install what is left of her mind into a robot body before she passes. She has just enough intelligence left to make cream puffs, and so he gives the Cream Puff Making Robot Riiko to Soushi and Night as a houswarming gift when he goes to visit them. He's a proud papa. Fin.
That would make me smile. :whistling:

idyanie

Post by idyanie » Jun 12th, '08, 05:17

i wonder when episode 9 raw will be out?
i'm waiting :salut:

mattroilanh_tt

Post by mattroilanh_tt » Jun 12th, '08, 06:20

I am waiting raw of Ep 9 too. It is too late now comparing with previous Ep.

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Jun 12th, '08, 07:08

ok just a simple guys perspective but Gah how ugly can the 2nd model be in comparison with model 1.
I think he was even smaller as night and i swear it looked like he was halfway close to having a downsyndrom when i looked at his face mumbling.

| didn't really like ep 8 since the enter new rival part was a bit cliched and the rival was so unlikeable

fukakaii

Post by fukakaii » Jun 12th, '08, 07:12

ep 9 is there in streaming http://youtubetvdrama.blog42.fc2.com/bl ... -1180.html
enjoy :) (i don't know if i have the right to put this link....)

mattroilanh_tt

Post by mattroilanh_tt » Jun 12th, '08, 09:11

fukakaii wrote:ep 9 is there in streaming http://youtubetvdrama.blog42.fc2.com/bl ... -1180.html
enjoy :) (i don't know if i have the right to put this link....)
Thank you very much. This is veoh link. I think you have the right to put it here.

Meecha

Post by Meecha » Jun 12th, '08, 13:49

ryoko11 wrote:Hmm... at this point my ideal ending would be... (forget realism)
Soushi and Night say the heck with this fickle, rude, insensivitive tart. Then they run away together. They become the subject of their own very moe shounen-ai spinoff manga. Soushi's older brother and ex-girlfriend wake up in bed together after an intense sugar high from all the desserts in this drama leads them to get married while under the influence. They live happily ever after. Mika gets some therapy and starts a support line for other compulsive and backstabbing rivals. After being refurbished and reprogrammed, 02 becomes the property of Riiko's landlady. For her bad karma Riiko is hit by a truck, but Namikiri manages to install what is left of her mind into a robot body before she passes. She has just enough intelligence left to make cream puffs, and so he gives the Cream Puff Making Robot Riiko to Soushi and Night as a houswarming gift when he goes to visit them. He's a proud papa. Fin.
That would make me smile. :whistling:
lol XD
i wouldnt mind it being a spinoff but a no-no for an actual ending :lol

sacchan

Post by sacchan » Jun 12th, '08, 17:20

just wondering ...why ep 9's torrent is not out yet?

I saw your posts guys, and many of you do not love this drama, I mean ok it is not a masterpiece but whatever, it's better than other dramas airing this season...

saby

Post by saby » Jun 12th, '08, 17:21

ive been wondering about ep 8 torrent too :(

sacchan

Post by sacchan » Jun 12th, '08, 17:28

saby wrote:ive been wondering about ep 8 torrent too :(
why? It has been a while since it was out!!!

Rori

Post by Rori » Jun 12th, '08, 17:29

^ Maybe it was a typo, but yeah, ep 9 torrent is super late. =(

saby

Post by saby » Jun 12th, '08, 17:54

oh sorry I meant ep 9 torrent

kimjaemi9

Post by kimjaemi9 » Jun 13th, '08, 00:23

wheres episode 9???? :O

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 13th, '08, 05:20

sacchan wrote:just wondering ...why ep 9's torrent is not out yet?

I saw your posts guys, and many of you do not love this drama, I mean ok it is not a masterpiece but whatever, it's better than other dramas airing this season...
Well, actually there are better dramas out there. Change is not bad. I haven't seen last friends yet but the ratings for that one seems to be doing well.

As for not loving the drama. Well, probably if most people didn't read the manga, they would have accepted the drama's plot. But compared to the manga, it really lacks. They use metaphors from the manga and change it slightly and then never tie it together with the drama. Like when Riko bought a pair of (I forget if it was necklace or wrist accessory) for her and Mika cuz they're friends. Mika set up Riko to get into trouble. And Riko's broke apart (showing their friendship ends) Mika tells off Riko saying she was never her friend. In the manga they didn't tie the 2 ideas together. They did the phone strap early on. Then Mika telling off Riko episodes later.

Also, there was more romance in the manga. Riko never had feelings for Soushi, but they grew up together. So when Soushi confessed to her, she got really confused cuz she thought about all they did together in the past. But she chose Night cuz he was always there protecting her and accepted all her flaws. Also it made more sense to have Night there. If she liked Soushi, Night wouldn't even have existed which wasn't the purpose of the manga. It showed love has no boundaries.

Anyhow, the biggest flaw of the drama was making Riko so unlikeable. She's the leading actress but she doesn't treat others (Night in particular) very nice. I don't mean she has to fall heads over heels for Night but at least treat him with respect and understanding. But she seems more absorbed in herself than to care how others feel. Someone tries to cheer you up or go over boundaries to do stuff for you. You don't just brush them off like they don't exist. At least say a heart felt thank you. And about that pastry book. Night spent $300 on it. They never even showed her looking at it. Seems like they brought up the topic of the book so we could see how mean Riko acts towards Night. Bottom line, it lacks substance. Too many unnecessary scenes seem to be randomly thrown in to occupy time.

I watch it anyhow just cuz Narimiki is cool ^^; and Night and Soshi are hot.

vcoolwater

Post by vcoolwater » Jun 13th, '08, 05:37

I think the reason that many hate this drama because it was so hyped and people were disappointed. I hated the idea of Riiko choosing Knight over Soushi. Because she picked a "perfect human being" over a someone who has flaws. I like they showed Riiko falling for Soushi who is very flawed. For me that is the theme of the drama.

I think people should stop comparing it to the manga. Most likley they will enjoy the series. It might not be as good as Change or Last Friends. But it not the worst. I have seen worst

I was able to download episode 9 from Veoh before the Rui-Yorozuka account was removed. If the torrent is not up by friday afternoon. I will upload it to megaupload

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 13th, '08, 05:48

well, humans have flaws but so does the robot. But anyhow why does Soshi have to be handsome and rich? It seems so cliched kdrama. The poor girl falls for rich guy. Turning out to be an office romance/Cinderella story

vcoolwater

Post by vcoolwater » Jun 13th, '08, 05:58

True Soushi is rich and handsome, but he not a jerk. Most of the time they are jerks. Personally I dont think it is bad as you making it out to be.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 13th, '08, 06:13

well, this isn't the worst drama I've seen. I've seen worse ones. But this one isn't impressive. There could have been more potential if it was written better. Also with Kdramas. The rich guys aren't nice to poor girls but they eventually show their soft side. Like "who are you", "my love slave", "200 lb beauty", "goong", "hong gil dong", "only you" and "coffee prince" just to name a few.

But as for Soushi not being a jerk. Well, he is and isn't. He seems to kind of toy with her feelings by saying stuff like "I like....your cream puffs" instead of saying "I like you" and treating her so nice. Then saying to Night he has no interest in her. Then hugging her. And he's hanging out with his ex. If he was sincere and nice he could have just said "I think I like you" that would be more touching and sincere.

wail

Post by wail » Jun 13th, '08, 13:36

seirin wrote:
sacchan wrote:just wondering ...why ep 9's torrent is not out yet?

Well, actually there are better dramas out there. Change is not bad. I haven't seen last friends yet but the ratings for that one seems to be doing well.

As for not loving the drama. Well, probably if most people didn't read the manga, they would have accepted the drama's plot. But compared to the manga, it really lacks. They use metaphors from the manga and change it slightly and then never tie it together with the drama. Like when Riko bought a pair of (I forget if it was necklace or wrist accessory) for her and Mika cuz they're friends. Mika set up Riko to get into trouble. And Riko's broke apart (showing their friendship ends) Mika tells off Riko saying she was never her friend. In the manga they didn't tie the 2 ideas together. They did the phone strap early on. Then Mika telling off Riko episodes later.

Also, there was more romance in the manga. Riko never had feelings for Soushi, but they grew up together. So when Soushi confessed to her, she got really confused cuz she thought about all they did together in the past. But she chose Night cuz he was always there protecting her and accepted all her flaws. Also it made more sense to have Night there. If she liked Soushi, Night wouldn't even have existed which wasn't the purpose of the manga. It showed love has no boundaries.

Anyhow, the biggest flaw of the drama was making Riko so unlikeable. She's the leading actress but she doesn't treat others (Night in particular) very nice. I don't mean she has to fall heads over heels for Night but at least treat him with respect and understanding. But she seems more absorbed in herself than to care how others feel. Someone tries to cheer you up or go over boundaries to do stuff for you. You don't just brush them off like they don't exist. At least say a heart felt thank you. And about that pastry book. Night spent $300 on it. They never even showed her looking at it. Seems like they brought up the topic of the book so we could see how mean Riko acts towards Night. Bottom line, it lacks substance. Too many unnecessary scenes seem to be randomly thrown in to occupy time.

I watch it anyhow just cuz Narimiki is cool ^^; and Night and Soshi are hot.

@ Seirin:

I do agree with you this is not the best drama ever but I disagree with you that this is not impressive. Yeah it has its cliches but watching a drama about robot love...we really cant take it that serious. First, I havent seen the manga. I was just very mildly interested, so I have next to zero expectation. But this drama does surprised me with how enjoyable it is. I just want a joyride this season and so far ZK is the answer.
I'm not analyzing much about how logical and tight everything is, this is fun, enjoyable and cute. Moco is a new and VERY hot find. That's what I need. :)

Change, I find it a bit draggy in the beginning and it requires more concentration than I can afford, just not my cup of tea atm. Last friend is fresh and controversial in its subject matter, it's well done, Ueno should get awards for her performance here no doubt. It's a dense, intense, at times hard-to-watch kind of angsty drama. I do find it a bit going around in circles plotwise in the middle.

So do you mean there ar more romance btn Riko and Night in the manga?! In the drama, I dont think when Riko signed up for Night, she liked Soshi. She was going thro that crush with another guy. And mind, she's not that successful with guys and being a nobody, I dont get that idea of her liking Soshi crosses her mind ever back then coz that's a big 'no chance' there. So I do think the part when she sign up for Night still is valid.

As for her being not likable esp with her behavior towards Night. She didnt really think it through what she's signing up for. Esp considering she was kinda coersed/scouted being the 'subject' by the engineer for this experimentation. And she's constantly aware of Night being just an appliance, programmed to be perfectly nice to her (eg the book thing), so rationally she shouldnt fall for/take to heart anything he did for her (but they do show her unconsciously and subtly falling for Night) and she should not assume he has feelings too being a chunk of metal...AND on top of that she has feelings for Soshi a REAL guy already. So I do find her behavior in the drama actually less cliche than I expected, on the contrary more logical than most.

As for behavior of Soshi being kinda jerky. At the very first scenes we saw him in, he is this rich brat with nth better to do. Night has always stressed he's Riko's bf, backed by his heroics, so he's not going to give his feelings for Riko any real thought till he's too deep into it. It's very plausible for a guy to behave like that in real life, rich or not.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jun 13th, '08, 15:13

seirin wrote:
Anyhow, the biggest flaw of the drama was making Riko so unlikeable. She's the leading actress but she doesn't treat others (Night in particular) very nice. I don't mean she has to fall heads over heels for Night but at least treat him with respect and understanding. But she seems more absorbed in herself than to care how others feel. Someone tries to cheer you up or go over boundaries to do stuff for you. You don't just brush them off like they don't exist. At least say a heart felt thank you.
Thank you!!! I completely agree on this! I am trying to look at this without comparing it to the manga (it is not hard to do because they are so different!) and that is oneo f the main things that annoys me! She treats Night like dirt the entire time and whines so much that it is hard to find it entertaining.

I can understand being hesitant to love "a walking/talking appliance" but it is almost as if she is repulsed by him but then decides to buy him? Then she wants him to leave her alone but goes into a fire to "save him". She treats Night like he is worthless but accepts his money, gifts and kindness without a thought?

They could have done so much better than this . There is no real build up for her love with Night and I feel that the show should have been called "Riko, Soushi and the Worthless Half-Million Dollar Washing Machine".
And about that pastry book. Night spent $300 on it. They never even showed her looking at it. Seems like they brought up the topic of the book so we could see how mean Riko acts towards Night. Bottom line, it lacks substance. Too many unnecessary scenes seem to be randomly thrown in to occupy time.
That bothered me as well. I was hoping that they would show how something in the book would be the ingredient or mix that would save her recipe. Or that she was so touched at that random act of kindness that she would start feeling 'confused' about her feelings towards Night. SOMETHING to make me feel that she was really moved by his actions.

Instead it's like "thanks" and 'now I will whine about something else while lusting over Soushi'. Disappointing...:glare:

GomiMomi

Post by GomiMomi » Jun 13th, '08, 15:36

:-)
Last edited by GomiMomi on Mar 11th, '10, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

jay_ed

Post by jay_ed » Jun 13th, '08, 15:58

vcoolwater wrote: I was able to download episode 9 from Veoh before the Rui-Yorozuka account was removed. If the torrent is not up by friday afternoon. I will upload it to megaupload
is yours a good quality??..so the subtitle people can sub it??...since it's so hard to watch it and not understand 70% if the stuff... :cry:

in the shoutbox..someone said that episode 9 was available for download in Tokyoplastic's clubbox..but i can't get in??it says i need a ID and password??..

Salz

Post by Salz » Jun 13th, '08, 16:44

vcoolwater wrote: I was able to download episode 9 from Veoh before the Rui-Yorozuka account was removed. If the torrent is not up by friday afternoon. I will upload it to megaupload
what???
why rui-yorozuka account was removed??
no wonder i cant find her video anymore :cry:

Rori

Post by Rori » Jun 13th, '08, 17:04

Salz wrote:
what???
why rui-yorozuka account was removed??
no wonder i cant find her video anymore :cry:
Because I'm pretty sure uploading Jdrama, which is copyright stuff, on to Veoh, like any other streaming site is not allowed. Everyone is in danger of getting their account suspended who does upload the stuff. Shame, I only subscribed to rui-yorozuka's videos a while back for ROOKIES. :(

vcoolwater, thanks for volunteering to upload it to Megaupload for us! Person who uploads the torrent seems to disappeared off the face of the earth. :)

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jun 13th, '08, 17:42

Wow, the torrent's still not here. It looks like the crackdown of the Japanese government and police on anyone associated with uploading j-dramas finally got to the uploaders of Zettai Kareshi. :( I really hope not though.

vcoolwater

Post by vcoolwater » Jun 13th, '08, 17:43

Sorry I took so long to upload the episode. All the credit goes to Rui-Yorozuka.

Episode 9:

part one: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=36BJHPCY
part two: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FJL2BPEI
part three: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SSRDGG42

Just use hjsplit to put the file together

Rori

Post by Rori » Jun 13th, '08, 19:28

Torrent is up!

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_62361.htm

But I think I might take it from vcool's links. Prefer DDL over torrent anyday. Thanks a lot, and no need to apologise~

Rori

Post by Rori » Jun 14th, '08, 23:21

Oh my god, I want to give him a big hug.
Apologies for double post. x3

xstarl1ght

Post by xstarl1ght » Jun 15th, '08, 00:51

MitsukaiKuroi wrote:
seirin wrote:
Anyhow, the biggest flaw of the drama was making Riko so unlikeable. She's the leading actress but she doesn't treat others (Night in particular) very nice. I don't mean she has to fall heads over heels for Night but at least treat him with respect and understanding. But she seems more absorbed in herself than to care how others feel. Someone tries to cheer you up or go over boundaries to do stuff for you. You don't just brush them off like they don't exist. At least say a heart felt thank you.
Thank you!!! I completely agree on this! I am trying to look at this without comparing it to the manga (it is not hard to do because they are so different!) and that is oneo f the main things that annoys me! She treats Night like dirt the entire time and whines so much that it is hard to find it entertaining.

I can understand being hesitant to love "a walking/talking appliance" but it is almost as if she is repulsed by him but then decides to buy him? Then she wants him to leave her alone but goes into a fire to "save him". She treats Night like he is worthless but accepts his money, gifts and kindness without a thought?

They could have done so much better than this . There is no real build up for her love with Night and I feel that the show should have been called "Riko, Soushi and the Worthless Half-Million Dollar Washing Machine".
And about that pastry book. Night spent $300 on it. They never even showed her looking at it. Seems like they brought up the topic of the book so we could see how mean Riko acts towards Night. Bottom line, it lacks substance. Too many unnecessary scenes seem to be randomly thrown in to occupy time.
That bothered me as well. I was hoping that they would show how something in the book would be the ingredient or mix that would save her recipe. Or that she was so touched at that random act of kindness that she would start feeling 'confused' about her feelings towards Night. SOMETHING to make me feel that she was really moved by his actions.

Instead it's like "thanks" and 'now I will whine about something else while lusting over Soushi'. Disappointing...:glare:
I don't completely agree with you on this. I mean, I understand, but how would you feel if robot just came to your door. and started "harassing" you.. And Night is a robot, so you would think it doesn't have any real feelings, so it wouldn't matter if you were rude to it or not. but that's only in the beginning of the drama. But later on, I would think that Riiko subconsciously likes Night. but doesn't realize it. She's having mix feelings and is confused because maybe when she bought Night, she felt she was attached to him somehow. And Riiko doesn't know that Night is doing things out of his programming. She still thinks he's a robot doing what he's suppose to do. there's no "real" feelings. and i guess that's why she's not attracted? But in ep.8, I think, Riiko realizes that Night cares for her and has actual feelings! because.. Night saves her from the car.
I agree though, that Riiko is pretty harsh on Night that makes me feel bad for him.
Yeah and there isn't MUCH development between Riiko and Night compared with Riiko and Soshi. and you're right, there are unnecessary scenes in here.

seanandrew

OMG!

Post by seanandrew » Jun 15th, '08, 12:35

Night-kun could be real in 40 years! Dutch researchers say so,
See!
I so totally will buy him!
~Sean

boxxx

Post by boxxx » Jun 15th, '08, 17:09

Japanese copyright law is a weird one.

the Japanese copyright laws pertain to works that creatively express thoughts or sentiments, however, the owner of the "rights" or the creator, decide how it is distributed and such and so forth. We can all agree that Japanese TV Dramas follow under these guidelines.

HOWEVER

There is an exception. Well actually there many exceptions. But the one that applies to this situation is thus:

Non-profit performance: Works can be performed or exhibited freely if the performer is not remunerated, and the audience is not charged an admission fee.

as long as streaming sites are not gaining profit from these videos, it's not illegal.

HOORAYYYYYYY <3

boxxx

Post by boxxx » Jun 15th, '08, 17:11

I forgot to ask:

does anyone know who is going to be doing the softsubbing for ep. 9 and when?

Thanks!

crisdrag

Post by crisdrag » Jun 15th, '08, 18:56

I wonder how much it will change in the last episode.....
I seems that Riiko decides to spend more time with Night but I hope it's not out of pity...that would be too pathetic! And Night just collapses and collapses.

On the whole it wasn't a bad drama, just ordinary. To me the show was made by Night. He had all the qualities you wish a human would have. Without him it would have been really boring ( same office type romance, the awkward girl in love with her cute boss who also likes her, blah, blah ) .That's why, the fact that Night was treated so badly by Riiko, always pushed aside, and always like the third wheel, it annoyed many people.
Let's not think of what will we do with a robot....the shows are not necessarily about reality and we are not looking to learn from them but we are looking to be entertained.
Frankly the idea of having a robot as a "lover" is not freaky...Let's open our minds to the future, that's how we advance as mankind.

Anyway, I think that Yuu Watase had a beautiful idea that wasn't portrayed too well in the drama, but i hope that they will make an animated version that will be much closer to the Manga.

crisdrag

Re: OMG!

Post by crisdrag » Jun 15th, '08, 18:59

seanandrew wrote:Night-kun could be real in 40 years! Dutch researchers say so,
See!
I so totally will buy him!
~Sean
That is so interesting...Thanks for the info.

saby

Post by saby » Jun 17th, '08, 13:28

couldnt watch todays ep :(

what happened ? how did it end ?

RoosterMcTey

Post by RoosterMcTey » Jun 17th, '08, 14:42

saby wrote:what happened ? how did it end ?
I thought there were two more episodes (10 and 11) to go. My friend who lives in Japan said she read that in...???? I feel bad because I can't remember the source!
Guess we'll see!

Anyway, with the kibosh of poor RuiYorozuka (TWICE now!) back to fourlc for episode 10 I guess!

Part 1:
http://fourlc.com/channel1/5/08fh/20080617_2050.html

EDIT:
Ta Da!

Part 2:
http://fourlc.com/channel1/5/08fh/20080617_2053.html
Last edited by RoosterMcTey on Jun 17th, '08, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Meecha

Post by Meecha » Jun 17th, '08, 14:48

^ wow, talk about efficiency :O
thanks btw

saby

Post by saby » Jun 17th, '08, 15:01

yea there is still ep 11 :D

thnx for the link

76xhxh

Post by 76xhxh » Jun 17th, '08, 15:51

hi! can anyone help me.
I am finding the softsub of Episode 9. Can anyone tell me where to find it.
Thanks a lot!

crisdrag

Post by crisdrag » Jun 17th, '08, 16:01

So are there 10 or 11 episodes?
I thought that ep 10 is the final one...
I hope there's one more episode so that they conclude this drama nicely, not in a hurry.
I cannot wait to see the last part of ep. 10. That girl from Veoh who is putting the videos is fantastic!

saby

Post by saby » Jun 17th, '08, 16:07

I thouht ep 10 was the final too
but it seems there is one more ep to go :D

crisdrag

Post by crisdrag » Jun 17th, '08, 16:45

ep. 10
I don't understand too much Japanese but I almost cried at the end....No! I hope Night is OK, I hope Riiko tells him "I love you too"....Maybe it sounds weird but I just like Night a lot!
I'm happy this wasn't the last episode.
It seams that in ep 11 Soshi is the only one shown smiling....I'm sad already!

RoosterMcTey

Post by RoosterMcTey » Jun 17th, '08, 17:10

Okay, so the FLC version cuts off right before the previews of next week, which is CRIMINAL.

RuiYorozuka does have Zettai 10 up right now, but I don't know how long Veoh will let that go. In the meantime, her part 2 is here:
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v142228439BBE2Xej

(If you want to watch her Part 1, the links there too, it isn't hard to find. But like I said, I don't know how long it'll stay up this time.)

EDIT: um, though I can they're really not all the long or informative, so if you miss them, you're not missing a terrible lot :D

saby

Post by saby » Jun 17th, '08, 17:40

damn i cant watch veoh :/.č. hate veoh hate veoh hate veoh a lot!!!!!

Rori

Post by Rori » Jun 17th, '08, 17:53

RoosterMcTey, thanks a lot for posting links up for the episode. Will try to download them on VeohTV before they get deleted. Missed it on TVUPlayer and was afraid we'd might have to wait a while again for the torrent.

xhoochiex

Post by xhoochiex » Jun 17th, '08, 17:54

Yay so there is going to be another episode. About episode ten:
lols I don't know Japanese but I assumed this is what happened at the end of the episode: Namikiri tells Riiko that Night developed feelings for Riiko that were beyond the programming. Aww next week's preview doesn't show much but I'm guessing they don't have enough time to do the whole coming back and then death like in the manga though I might be wrong but as long as it's a good ending it's all good. Haha and you got to love Namikiri's facial hair in episode ten lols

rurounimon

Post by rurounimon » Jun 17th, '08, 18:31

xhoochiex wrote:Yay so there is going to be another episode. About episode ten:
lols I don't know Japanese but I assumed this is what happened at the end of the episode: Namikiri tells Riiko that Night developed feelings for Riiko that were beyond the programming. Aww next week's preview doesn't show much but I'm guessing they don't have enough time to do the whole coming back and then death like in the manga though I might be wrong but as long as it's a good ending it's all good. Haha and you got to love Namikiri's facial hair in episode ten lols
What Namikiri tells Riiko in episode 10 is:
Right on the point of what you said! Night is more than some programmed circuitry and has developed a will of his own. I felt kind of silly crying throughout this episode, but it really did feel sad seeing Night break down. Now the Kronos people are going to erase his memory and get rid of him? Grrr...
This series isn't the greatest of J-Dramas... but it definitely has a special place in my heart. Also, since I loooove Japanese pastries so much, it was an added plus for me to see such yummy treats. I got to give two thumbs up to Hayami Mokomichi's acting skills. Didn't think I'd fall for his robotic moves and cliche lines... but I did.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Japan researchers are probably looking into robotic sex dolls. Which is fine by me... but I don't know about adding AI that would allow a robot to be able to develop love. Well, I doubt that what happens with Night can happen in real life anyway. As a computer scientist (just got my master's this past may, yay!), I'm just having fun wondering if a software can go beyond what has been programmed. Normally that would be buggy code, and with Night, I'd say he's wonderfully buggy. :wub:

gamblewithd3sire

Post by gamblewithd3sire » Jun 18th, '08, 14:49

ok so i didn't really understand what was going on in ep 10--since i don't speak japanese-- but i was kinda able to get the gist of it.

um.. and i thought it was a sad episode.

even though i'm a sisho fan (soooo i might be a little biased)
it better have a good ending. lol

Izuno

Post by Izuno » Jun 18th, '08, 18:29

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the OST. There's an instrumental song I really like. It first starts with a piano, then turns into a guitar and people humming. I find that song really relaxing. Does anyone know where I might be able to find it?

Thanks for your help. :)

miepie

Post by miepie » Jun 18th, '08, 18:36

I wonder if the end will be like the manga... Did anyone here read it?
A friend of mine collected it and I read it, though not properly, but the end there was... okay actually. So I wonder...
rurounimon wrote:This series isn't the greatest of J-Dramas... but it definitely has a special place in my heart. Also, since I loooove Japanese pastries so much, it was an added plus for me to see such yummy treats. I got to give two thumbs up to Hayami Mokomichi's acting skills. Didn't think I'd fall for his robotic moves and cliche lines... but I did.
I thought the same. At first I wasn't really impressed, but by now his chara became realy funny and I think he did a good job.