[Discussion] Puzzle (2008) Ishihara Satomi, Yamamoto Yusuke

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[Discussion] Puzzle (2008) Ishihara Satomi, Yamamoto Yusuke

Post by lilswtangel » May 1st, '08, 16:02

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Puzzle_(2008)

I finished watching the first episode with subtitles today and had a blast. It was full of twists and humour. Basically, a very fun drama that so far has taught us to "play on words" in both Japanese and in English.

Ishihara Satomi does a great job between her character's greedy personality and alter ego - the one with the sweet demeanor...or rather vice versa..

Subtitles can be found here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_60920.htm

Between, Yusuke's body is pretty yummy here. We get to see him shirtless within the first 10 minutes into the opening :D

And a great job to the other two supporting characters: Kimura Ryo & Nagayama Kento.

The closing theme is a bit scary...I don't know, I'm very much afraid of masks so I got the chills watching it. :whistling:

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 1st, '08, 23:27

Hooray for the Puzzle thread! :cheers:

Puzzle is in a 3 way tie with ROOKIES and Osen at the moment for my favorite of the season.

Both the mystery and the comedy are good. I liked the puzzles in episode 1, as well as the fact that I didn't feel like they went out of their way to point out the criminal to you. Lately, it seems many series do everything but put a neon light over the killer's head... so it's nice to have ones that you don't know right from the characters' introductions the identity of the criminal. And the puzzles are fun to work out!

The acting has been really good. They manage to be funny without going totally over the top slapstick in their performances, and I'm lovin' that. Satomi does a great job of switching personas, and the boys are really believable as friends. She and the boys play very well off each other, and even the detectives and background characters are enjoyable and work well together.

Yuusuke did look yummy during his topless scene! Maybe they can work in a few more of those... :whistling:
Some of the stuff that goes on in the background is really LOL. Like the kid loosing his pants, or the girl with the giant parfait that Yuusuke gets distracted by. :lol

Elien

Post by Elien » May 1st, '08, 23:46

Just finished watching the first episode and it´s great :w00t:
I must agree with you that we need to see more kendo training or should I say the thing which comes after *muhehehe* 3 times YAY!! for Yamamoto Yuusuke :wub:

xaxa

Post by xaxa » May 2nd, '08, 17:48

very similar to Trick series! a must see of this season.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 2nd, '08, 17:54

ishihara satomi's acting is good.. shes too funny lol

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 2nd, '08, 23:35

xaxa wrote:very similar to Trick series! a must see of this season.
You're right....this series is pretty similar to Trick minus the scariness (Trick's an all-time favorite! :)).

Is it just me or does the large sundae parfait in each and every episode (yes, it's there again in episodes 2 + 3 as well! LOL) make your mouth water? It's a different flavor every time. XD but what are the odds that the same girl with the sundae always appear whenever Yusuke and his female "friend" meet up.

It's also really funny and somewhat pathetic how every adult seem to fall for Satomi's sweet and innocent act. :lol

Kairk

Post by Kairk » May 3rd, '08, 00:14

It is similar to Trick, even uses similar sound effects at times. The first two eps have been fun, not as good as Trick, but Trick is my all time favorite Asian drama. Still, definitely worth watching.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 3rd, '08, 00:20

It's not just you. That thing is freakin' huge, but it looks delicious. It always makes me grin to see it. And maybe salivate a bit...

This series also kinda reminds me of the old Kindaichi series--especially some of the episodes in series one. It's got a similar balance of comedy/mystery... and the cases feel like something that could easily be adapted to that show.

About Episode 2:
I can't believe he ate those pickles she brought back. :lol She's such a klepto! That had to be the best prize offered ever: one million yen... and a cow! And then Ayukawa talking in her sleep about how delicious the cow was! LMAO I love this show.
Looking forward to episode 3 after the download finishes!

a2a

Post by a2a » May 3rd, '08, 15:32

I also thought that it resembled Trick! (Well, Trick is already cult though!)
I love Satomi's portrayal of Ayukawa! She can easily pass as older in this drama! I can easily say that her character is one of my all time favorites!
Plus, the boys are great! I always want to hug Yusuke when they do close ups on him! And Nagayama Kento is Eita's brother! His face did seem familiar to me when I first saw him. Even his voice is similar to his brother's!
Anyway, I'm really satisfied with this series! :D

mysticalmelody27

Post by mysticalmelody27 » May 3rd, '08, 16:21

I just finished watching the 3rd episode and I love it so far :) I love how they mix mystery with comedy.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 3rd, '08, 16:48

a2a wrote:And Nagayama Kento is Eita's brother! His face did seem familiar to me when I first saw him. Even his voice is similar to his brother's!
I TOTALLY DID NOT KNOW THIS!!! Wow! I'm such a huge fan of Eita (he has got to be THE most underrated Japanese actor and I'm glad he's finally beginning to receive such wide-spread recognition) so this comes as a total surprise to me~

So we're alternating between Eita and Kento every week when watching "Last Friends" and "Puzzle" eh? XD

a2a

Post by a2a » May 3rd, '08, 17:48

lilswtangel wrote:
a2a wrote:And Nagayama Kento is Eita's brother! His face did seem familiar to me when I first saw him. Even his voice is similar to his brother's!
I TOTALLY DID NOT KNOW THIS!!! Wow! I'm such a huge fan of Eita (he has got to be THE most underrated Japanese actor and I'm glad he's finally beginning to receive such wide-spread recognition) so this comes as a total surprise to me~

So we're alternating between Eita and Kento every week when watching "Last Friends" and "Puzzle" eh? XD
Yes! I agree! I love Eita too (and Last Friends is awesome) ! It would also be nice to see the brothers acting together in the future!

lzydata

Post by lzydata » May 4th, '08, 09:39

When I heard of this drama in the news sometime back, I thought it was crazy to cast Ishihara Satomi as a 30-year-old teacher when she can still pass for high school student. It isn't as bad as I feared, but while Ishihara's pitch range is amazing, I still think the show would be more effective with someone else.

And is this show like Trick or what? The Other than how it's treasure-hunting instead of trick-busting. And don't forget Yamada Naoko was pretty hard up for money too.

anchan

Post by anchan » Jul 7th, '08, 02:26

PIECE 8
i'm not understanding piece 8...when they talk about the will....i understood that the will her boyfriend wrote transferred onto the next page. but how did her boyfriend's writing get onto the page where there is actual writing of the fake will...?

sorry i'm not getting this. haha. maybe it's getting too late for me to watch dramas. so did she use like the 2nd page of the will to make it like sumida's will?

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jul 7th, '08, 03:08

anchan wrote:PIECE 8
i'm not understanding piece 8...when they talk about the will....i understood that the will her boyfriend wrote transferred onto the next page. but how did her boyfriend's writing get onto the page where there is actual writing of the fake will...?

sorry i'm not getting this. haha. maybe it's getting too late for me to watch dramas. so did she use like the 2nd page of the will to make it like sumida's will?
Good question. I suppose
Yes, the most likely possibility is Tsubaki did use the next page for the fake will by tracing or writing in with a pencil the words she needed. Conveniently - far too conveniently - those were ALL the alternate lines, so to the producer and others it didn't look like any words were missing, just that the writer wrote double-spaced:

Tsubaki, thank you for supporting me
I can never let those people off
Tsubaki, thank you for believing in my talent
Someday they'll take everything I have from me
To teach those people a lesson
I had no other choice but this.
I'm making a move first
Please forgive me

In this theory, Tsubaki knew very well that there were extra lines, so her tears after Ayukawa read out the full will were her sadness-cum-relief that her game was up, although it sure looked like she was crying because she didn't know about it before. On the other hand, if she didn't know about the full will beforehand, she couldn't have produced the fake will with the authentic handwriting, so that can't be.

In any case IMO it was an unreasonably huge risk to take, since anyone who looked at the paper carefully would see that there were more words to it: her name was on it, for goodness' sake.

Another thing: towards the end the boys said that Ayukawa had "rubbed away" the confession will that she wanted to sell to the TV stations... except that she hadn't! It was still there! That's the even bigger puzzle, no pun intended.

Oh well, I'm only the subber :mrgreen: I can only sub what the show says, plot holes and all.

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » Jul 13th, '08, 18:37

1) Quirky n inquisitive jdrama resembling Trick
2) Just learnt from this thread that Nagayama Kento is Eita's bro
3) First time watching Ishihara Satomi and she resembles tw actress Ariel Lin