[Discussion] Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
niwa1985

[Discussion] Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne?

Post by niwa1985 » May 3rd, '08, 18:47

--> http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kimi_Hannin_Janai_yo_ne%3F (Information from DramaWiki)

--> http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_60467.htm (Subtitles)

I wonder why there is no discussion topic for this series. Or have I overlooked something?
As I help making the fansubs for this, I would be interested in your thoughts on this dorama.

I really like this series, due to the fact that I love comedy stuff. Combined with mystery, its a really cool combo. XD The two main characters make up a nice combo, too. Although it is very easy to look through the series' structure, it's still interesting to see how the cases are solved and what the murderer's intentions were.

I'm really interested in how it will go on, and if there will be some big case towards the end. In my opinion, there are some hints to this, already.

By the way: I found the full version of the Intro song on youtube ( It's quite catchy. ^^

First Class Wota

Post by First Class Wota » May 3rd, '08, 18:54

I think this show is hilarious, and you are right the Mystery/Comedy combinations are really great it makes for a good show. Also, thanks for the theme song link.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 3rd, '08, 19:46

I've only watched the first episode and already I'm beginning to like this series.

It reminds me a bit of "Jikou Keisatsu" but with more laughs. :)

marspeach

Post by marspeach » May 3rd, '08, 21:22

lilswtangel wrote:I've only watched the first episode and already I'm beginning to like this series.

It reminds me a bit of "Jikou Keisatsu" but with more laughs. :)
More laughs than Jikou Keisatsu? I think this show is more serious, in comparison only... hehe. I think it's cute and funny so far (love Kaname Jun) but if they follow the same formula of the beautiful girl being the murderer every time it will get really tiring and obvious. Heck, it was already obvious on the first episode.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 3rd, '08, 23:22

I think the humor in Jikou Keisatsu tended to go a little more to the surreal, but both series are totally hilarious.
marspeach wrote: More laughs than Jikou Keisatsu? I think this show is more serious, in comparison only... hehe. I think it's cute and funny so far (love Kaname Jun) but if they follow the same formula of the beautiful girl being the murderer every time it will get really tiring and obvious. Heck, it was already obvious on the first episode.

Kaname Jun is adorable, and Kanjiha Shihori playing all those part-time jobs is hilarious. I think the comedy is presently my favorite part of this series, and I'm enjoying it every episode. The mysteries are pretty easy to peg, particularly since
Udagawa constantly falls in love with a beautiful girl who is always the murderer.

I'd love for them to mix it up by having stuff like Udagawa falling in love with multiple suspects in a case... or a girl, who turns out not to be a girl... just stuff that can add laughs and variety while still fitting in with the established humor.

I really want to find out more about Sakura. That memory flash in the first episode looked promising, and I'm hoping they'll start building on it in later episodes.

I've been singing Super Looper for 4 weeks now. LOL I seriously love that opening!

lzydata

Post by lzydata » May 4th, '08, 09:20

marspeach wrote:More laughs than Jikou Keisatsu? I think this show is more serious, in comparison only... hehe. I think it's cute and funny so far (love Kaname Jun) but if they follow the same formula of the beautiful girl being the murderer every time it will get really tiring and obvious. Heck, it was already obvious on the first episode.
Indeed, the formula they use is quite obvious, but somehow it doesn't irritate me at all. Maybe it's like how Furuhata Ninzaburo tweaked the usual whodunit format by showing us at the beginning who did it and how he/she did it. The suspense and entertainment instead comes from seeing how Furuhata figures it out and outsmarts the criminal. I personally find it interesting to see how Udagawa and Morita Sakura play basically the same scenarios in different ways every week, like negotiating Morita's fee (which seems to be going higher and higher), all the different guises and costumes she gets into, and Udagawa's mixed feelings at the end (he doesn't get the girl, but does get credit for cracking the case). Sure it's campy, but it's fun :mrgreen:

Oh yes, and there's the pleasure of knowing there'll be some new guest lady every week. It was nice to see Niiyama Chiharu in ep2; I think she's been away from TV for a few years.

yambasket

Post by yambasket » May 4th, '08, 13:38

in the 2nd episode, the potential motive was also really predicatable. how she did it is not so easy for me to guess but it wasn't a very complex or interesting setup. But amyhow this is my fave drama this season... I really like mystery+comedy... and this is super funny!

i wonder just how many jobs Sakura has! my favourite parts is where she appears in all these jobs... the only one that she seems to be in more permanently is the restaurant at the end of each episode where she gives Udagawa the bill. lol

Anyway I'm too hoping for some more/better use her super memory and for some interesting background of it... And also more interesting/weird women/"women" (re ryoko11's suggestion) for Udagawa to faill in love with. Jikou Keisatsu had some interesting lady murderers - like the lady who's obsessive about symmery. or maybe Sakura herself will be a suspect. that could get weird.

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » May 8th, '08, 00:57

I'm enjoying this show, but like people have already stated there isn't much of a mystery. It's obvious that the person whom "Udagawa" falls in love with is the real culprit. I'm hoping this will change in future eps or else the show will become too repetitive.

sungie

Post by sungie » May 28th, '08, 16:59

^ Even if it's like that, I still love the drama :)

For some reason I tend to dislike female leads in j-dramas (not in tw- or k-dramas..) but Kanjiya Shihori is absolutely adorable, funny and good in this one :D The character she plays in amusing.

airskape

Post by airskape » Jun 2nd, '08, 17:35

aww sucks there is hardly any discussion for this drama..i actually quite like it even though it's so predictable

i think the main characters are played quite well, especially shihori. shes cute :D but she is so short when she's standing next to jun

btw, does anyone know the name of the actress playing nana-sensei in ep 3? she was the criminal

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jun 3rd, '08, 05:11

airskape wrote:aww sucks there is hardly any discussion for this drama..i actually quite like it even though it's so predictable

i think the main characters are played quite well, especially shihori. shes cute :D but she is so short when she's standing next to jun
Yeah, somehow a detective combo works better if there's a visible physical difference: someone so short as the mature one versus someone so tall and yet so childish. I always get a kick out of watching Kaname Jun's dazed look every week.
airskape wrote:btw, does anyone know the name of the actress playing nana-sensei in ep 3? she was the criminal
She's Hoshino Mari. In fact, let me just put here the entire list of hannin so far:

1. Kurotani Tomoka
2. Niiyama Chiharu
3. Hoshino Mari
4. Yamaguchi Sayaka
5. Katase Nana
6. Konno Mahiru
7. Yabuki Haruna, Matsunaga Kyoko and Komatsu Ayaka
8. Umemiya Masako
9. Sakai Ayana
10. Yokoyama Megumi

Updated for ep10 the finale.
Last edited by lzydata on Jun 7th, '08, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Jun 4th, '08, 01:32

I've been a little disappointed with Puzzle because I find the mystery thin and quite a few of the main characters (besides Satomi Ishihara) I find annoying, so it's nice to watch Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne. Even though we already know who the criminal is, I still enjoy watching them prove it.

I agree with you guys, the duo make a nice match. Kind of reminds me of Trick, where Ueda and Yamada, come from different backgrounds but match up very well together intelligence-wise. Something that annoys me with a lot of mystery-comedy jdramas is that the woman usually is more dependent on the man and a little airheaded. Kimi Hannin does a good job of role reversal with the guy being the idiot and the girl being the cool and sharp one.

whatever0024

Post by whatever0024 » Jun 15th, '08, 03:23

^^^ I feel the same way. I'm on episode three of Puzzle, but I can't bring myself to finish it. I don't particularly like any of the characters. None of them appeal to me, while in Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne?, the two leads are quite endearing and have good chemistry. The drama is predictable because we already know who's the murderer, but it's nice to see how they solve the crime.

MiraiHanninMop

Post by MiraiHanninMop » Jun 16th, '08, 03:13

IMO Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne? is the way cooler, funnier Japanese modern version of Columbo. It doesn't matter that you know who the killer is right away, the theme song and Sakura's cool clicking eyes make the show fun to watch each time anyway lol :P

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Jun 16th, '08, 03:38

Yeah, at first I didn't really like the theme song, but after listening it a few time, I've fallen in love with it. Live performance of it : (

snoopypal

Post by snoopypal » Jun 19th, '08, 16:59

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else so far. This has been a really enjoyable show. I also at first thought that the repetitive plot devices might become annoying after a while but then I realized it wasn't your typical mystery show. It's true, the fun is in seeing such funny characters figure out how the murders occurred and the motives. And the underlying mystery of Sakura's memory actually is a little suspenseful.

Definitely would recommend this for fans of TRICK though it's more whimsical and light-hearted while TRICK can get pretty goofy and metaphysical.

I've actually been alternately watching this and PUZZLE. They make a good double-jdrama mystery feature!