[Discussion] Maou (Ohno Satoshi & Ikuta Toma)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
asuran_rocks

Post by asuran_rocks » Dec 24th, '08, 06:54

Vider wrote:
The last scene in the final episode had me thinking: uwah... what did she see? Some kind of left-over memory that would have rendered everything that both Naoto and Naruse did, meaningless... ?

What do you think she saw?
omgggg yes i was like what the heck?!?!

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Dec 24th, '08, 07:11

:cry: this was honestly a pain to watch... their acting was definitely good, but there wasn't much substance with the whole series.

Kawai princess

Post by Kawai princess » Dec 24th, '08, 07:24

one of the best Japanese drama that Ive seen yes i didn't like the ending but i enjoyed watching maou and i have to agree ohno out shine Toma big time ohno i was really shocked with his acting he did great job

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Dec 25th, '08, 00:00

biniBningPunkista wrote: ... but there wasn't much substance with the whole series.
i'm not sure of your definition of "substance"
but just maybe, you failed to notice the symbolism, the morals, the twisted human psyche, karma, or the love depicted in the whole series, which in my opinion was a whole lot of "substance" :)

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Dec 25th, '08, 00:40

brokenparadise wrote:
biniBningPunkista wrote: ... but there wasn't much substance with the whole series.
i'm not sure of your definition of "substance"
but just maybe, you failed to notice the symbolism, the morals, the twisted human psyche, karma, or the love depicted in the whole series, which in my opinion was a whole lot of "substance" :)
:scratch: personally im all about the story line. there was really something off about it, that even the actor's acting skills weren't able to bring out. maybe it's just me... but i really didn't appreciate maou as much as i thought i would.. i must have expected more from it since its coming from 2 of my favorite actors. while watching Maou, i felt like watching the ending of a Drama like Liar Game pretty empty.

i liked the idea of a twisted human psyche, although there is always a but... i don't know what are the right words to use but the substance im talking about is;
there were so much that could have been worked on with the story line but they have focused too much on a certain detail.. and was also a point were a scene could have been removed from the story since the drama could have survived without it...

i felt it was draggy, too much angst but definitely lots of confusion.

then again, im just a watcher and its just all my opinion. not that im complaining about toma and ohno's hotness in this drama. too many screen caps for me to last a life time. lolz.... :mrgreen:

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Dec 25th, '08, 06:12

biniBningPunkista wrote: :scratch: personally im all about the story line. there was really something off about it, that even the actor's acting skills weren't able to bring out. maybe it's just me... but i really didn't appreciate maou as much as i thought i would.. i must have expected more from it since its coming from 2 of my favorite actors. while watching Maou, i felt like watching the ending of a Drama like Liar Game pretty empty.

i liked the idea of a twisted human psyche, although there is always a but... i don't know what are the right words to use but the substance im talking about is;
there were so much that could have been worked on with the story line but they have focused too much on a certain detail.. and was also a point were a scene could have been removed from the story since the drama could have survived without it...

i felt it was draggy, too much angst but definitely lots of confusion.
so all in all you don't like the drama not because it lack substance but because it feels draggy, incomplete and at some points over the top :). Each to its own I guess.

I do agree it felt like it lacked something that I can't put my fingers on but overall it was a joy to watch the angsty mind games on screen. Very different from any Japanese dramas I've seen and I love how the "feel" of the drama stayed with me for days after completing it :P... so I can't agree that it is without substance.

freack

Post by freack » Dec 25th, '08, 19:50

GReeeeN sings for "Voice"
Sun, December 21, 2008 (5:10pm EST)
Vocal group GReeeeN has lined up another TV drama tie-in. They will sing the theme song for Fuji TV's "Voice" next season, which stars Eita, Satomi Ishihara, and Toma Ikuta.

The currently untitled song will be released as a single next spring.
source:tokyograph

marriedtomisaki

Post by marriedtomisaki » Jan 2nd, '09, 00:44

I thought this Drama was amazing. Everything I thought was going to happen didn't happen. The acting was better then I expected. The actual actors themselves were very good. That girl they got to play Shiori was very good. The story was new and I had never seen anything like it before. I also think it had a satisfying ending as well and it was the best way to end the story. All in all I would recommend this Drama for sure. 9.5/10

kusaina

Post by kusaina » Jan 11th, '09, 13:58

Hi

does anyone knows if there is something else shown on the DVD...remember the drama last scene,

http://www.tbs.co.jp/maou2008/news.html

flavenne

Post by flavenne » Jan 22nd, '09, 02:54

Hello everyone!
Ack, this thread is abandoned >_<

Since the DVD is out, you can now see what Shiori's last vision is ^^
That surely will satisfy all curiosity :D

I'm not gonna spoil it... better watch it on your own :)
I found the DVD extras here.
All credit goes to sableheart! Thank you so much for kindly uploading 'em.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

ganstream2

Post by ganstream2 » Jan 22nd, '09, 10:12

My only reaction after seeing Shiori's last vision is...
E~~~~H?!
that's all...

EDIT: You can get the softsub (if you prefer softsub) from Akusub's blog.

miyuki_chan

Post by miyuki_chan » Jan 25th, '09, 07:08

I totally thought the same as you ganstream2

Thought not really a spoiler but......
I was hoping for a HUGE TWIST or something.

They lead us on ~ Made us wait than end comes: "Sorry we just ran out of ideas. But we thought you'd like to see Ohno and Toma again" LOL ~
Oh well ~

im_amot

Post by im_amot » Feb 1st, '09, 10:21

same as u ganstream and miyuki .. shiori's last vision is not really what i expect ..

it just another flashback scene for me .. but well, i just love it .. it just like a summary what's going on between Naoto and Naruse from the beginning of the story until the end :)

anyway, this is the best story for ohno and toma chan .. hihih XD

fjnoheart

Post by fjnoheart » Feb 3rd, '09, 06:13

*sigh*

i cant believe toma-chan didnt get an award here...yah ohno is better but the convincing versatility toma did was something his expression and reaction is awesome., he portrays dorama roles differently which what makes you to be called as an actor, a good actor

nah., why tanaka kei for supporting :glare:
hahaha just an opinion no offenses :-)

MAOU one of my favorite....

ja mata

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Feb 3rd, '09, 09:08

Both Toma and Ohno are good versatile actors.
.. However Ohno still takes the cake for giving a marvelous portrayal as Naruse. He's a joy to watch in UtaOni too. Completely different yet very familiar.
Toma doing great in Voice too. Toma will be reunited with "Kasai" on Voice Ep4. Tanaka Kei will be guesting.

TofuQueen

Post by TofuQueen » Apr 16th, '09, 09:19

Just finished watching & was quite impressed...though it's way darker than the shows I usually watch, it was very well done, & I just *had* to watch usually-goofy Ohno in a serious role.

As for the ending...I had a hunch from about ep. 7 or so onward. :cry: And I did actually cry when my hunch turned out to be right.

The whole thing feels very, very Shakespearian, or maybe it's Greek tragedies I'm thinking of?? I'm tempted to look up summaries & see if there's anything similar but it may just be the overall feel of the show.

DLing the extras now, I hope there's some NG footage of the serious characters cracking up. :P

Mtcourage

Ohno's acting...

Post by Mtcourage » Aug 26th, '09, 16:47

I thought Maou was excellent. I love the OST Requiem, it was definitely a richly orchestrated and melodic soundtrack.

I would like to express my appreciation for Ohno Satoshi's acting.

Ohno Satoshi enjoys stage plays more than television acting, and has been doing more of those. Stage acting trains actors to be more 'in the moment' for they need to perform the same lines every single night. And you have to watch it as if it's happening right before your eyes every single time.

How that acting showed in Maou...

Look at his eyes when he's acting.

There is always something or someone there.

You sometimes see other actors and actresses express but somehow their eyes are empty? Like there's no actual thought in it? But you do get what I mean.

This shows Ohno's focus. Not only that...I don't know if it's just me, but I was more 'impressed' with his 'good' side character. It showed that his acting wasn't drawn from 'acting' it out, but a completely honest acting. From this particular actress I quote, "You must believe your character to the extent of being able to justify what he/she thinks even if you don't think that way in real life."

Another thing, when it's a subtle part of the script like his 'good side'....

Heck I honestly think acting out a normal scene (like just talking normally....imagine doing that in a school play with lines you and your friends have memorized. Listen to what your friends say and react to that. Don't think about how you react while listening to what she says and waiting for your turn) is way harder than acting out an emotional scene. Because it's a test of how much you've become your character. Let alone a normal scene with a character that's not like you (Maou X Ohno)...Naruse just can't be like Ohno. If he was just acting it as if it was just acting out a character then the subtle-ness wouldn't have been so intense. He gets in his character so much that he replies as if it was him. In short he wasn't acting....it was that natural and was definitely worked hard at. As you see that maturity in him while acting, you know that he was dealing with that kind of standard in his acting. (And that is the type of acting that can pass energy to a co actor so that HE can be able to react from that...which was especially shown in the last episode of the series in the last few intense exchange of lines of Naruse and Serizawa)

Sorry XD I like to express myself and just say how much Ohno made a fan out of me. Very inspiring performance. Another thing is.....aside from the acting talent he displayed, he also had that special 'IT'....so I think he was born to do what he's doing. And so, even if I love other Japanese actors so much as well, I somehow, dunno, I somehow can't imagine this role being played by them, and be able to give such a huge impression on me (believe me....I tried) Aside from Ohno's acting, Ohno HIMSELF, as the person he is and the way he interpreted it out from a deeper source than merely just a so called two faced lawyer-----which was the kind of performance I expected------it was all from him.

I am not saying I don't think this way about other actors and such. This is just a comment for Ohno's acting. I was so humbled by it ^_^

(Maaan XD I hope he's not the underrated Arashi member I hear he is....as I see from videos....it's just that...he doesn't like to impose himself XD But the few times he showed what he can do...boy does he blow me away.)

(WOW is this a school report?)

Mtcourage

Post by Mtcourage » Aug 26th, '09, 17:01

Oh and ummm having said that.....I hate watching revenge plots...I watched it thinking I might hate it for all the killing and all the dark things happening every time and expecting THAT being the main attraction of the show.

But in the end it didn't say, "GET REVENGE AND EXPECT TO GO DOWN YOURSELF BUT HEY....HE DESERVED IT ANYWAY DIDN'T HE? AND THAT WAS A GOOD SHOW I PUT UP ANYWAY.".....it clearly had a message against that sort of mindset...so it kinda gave off a certain Count of Monte Cristo thing about it. Which I like about Maou. I LOVE how the character Shiori really tried for Naruse...like til the very end and to Naruse's breaking point. There is always hope while one is alive after all. I just don't see that much in shows.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 26th, '09, 17:31

Mtcourage wrote:Sorry I like to express myself and just say how much Ohno made a fan out of me. Very inspiring performance. Another thing is.....aside from the acting talent he displayed, he also had that special 'IT'....so I think he was born to do what he's doing. And so, even if I love other Japanese actors so much as well, I somehow, dunno, I somehow can't imagine this role being played by them, and be able to give such a huge impression on me (believe me....I tried) Aside from Ohno's acting, Ohno HIMSELF, as the person he is and the way he interpreted it out from a deeper source than merely just a so called two faced lawyer-----which was the kind of performance I expected------it was all from him.

I just could not say it any better. i was deeply mesmerized by Ohno, his acting, his presence, his eyes that i hardly notice others acting. from ep1, i knew i would like his character no matter how evil he can get and how many people he can kill. for me, all Maou is success is all because of Ohno and only Ohno. it made me his fan for life. :cheers:

Mtcourage

Post by Mtcourage » Aug 26th, '09, 18:54

Shiori's actress was also convincing. Now THAT helped as well I think. It was a pleasant surprise she had great substance to her acting. Very simple and honest. She played a great role in that drama too. And Shiori not being a 'flashy' actress had a real impact on the drama too. As for Serizawa....haha I don't know. He wasn't really over acting I think but I think being THAT actor, I think that's how HE would do it if it were a real detective with that past. So it might be a characterization problem of how he interpreted it and maybe too much of himself showed? I don't know because I love this guy in his shows and he displays genuine emotions usually. I'm not sure really. But I kind of missed the other side of himself that he carried and suffered with all those years. Somehow it wasn't that believable until flashbacks built up. But having said all that...man I think he was just the right person for it. So I can't really say, he delivered the most crucial lines in the drama for me so convincingly and it helped the over all impact. AND ALSO MAAAAN I have a last song syndrome for 'Requiem'.....