Gonzo Densetsu no Keiji (Uchino Masaaki, Tsutsui Michitaka)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
raven_frost

Gonzo Densetsu no Keiji (Uchino Masaaki, Tsutsui Michitaka)

Post by raven_frost » Jul 12th, '08, 13:13

Introduction
Produced and written by the team behind the popular Aibou series, Gonzo is the police slang for a person with ability and experience but unable to work. Uchino Masaaki plays Kuroki, who was once a top-notch detective with the First Investigative Division but ends up as an unmotivated and slovenly clerk in an accounting division for another police station after an incident results in him suffering post-traumatic stress disorder. But one day, a case arises that brings him back as a detective.

Official Website
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/gonzo/

Cast
* Uchino Masaaki as Kuroki Toshihide (39)
* Tsutsui Michitaka as Sakuma Seiichi (36)
* Motokariya Yuika as Endo Tsuru (23)
* Takahashi Issei as Hibino Yuji (27)
* Yajima Kenichi as Ujiie Takashi (52)
* Sugawara Daikichi as Kishi Shotaro (45)
* Yoshimoto Nahoko as Tabata Rumiko (30)
* Maeda Aki as Amano Monami (24)
* Watabiki Katsuhiko as Terada Junpei (59)
* Otsuka Nene as Matsuo Risa (37)
Last edited by raven_frost on Jul 30th, '08, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jul 13th, '08, 00:58

From Japan Times:

The title character of the new drama series "Gonzo: Densetsu no Keiji (Gonzo: The Legendary Detective)" (TV Asahi, Wednesday, 9 p.m.) was once the best investigator on the Tokyo police force.

However, three years ago he quit the homicide division for mysterious reasons and ever since has worked in the equipment division doing paperwork.

His life is much less exciting than it used to be, and he seems to prefer it that way.
However, Sakuma, his former subordinate, has been baffled by a case involving the murder of a young violinist, and he asks his old supervisor, Gonzo Kuroki (Seiyo Uchino), to re-enter investigation work and help him.

Kuroki reluctantly agrees and mostly goes through the motions.

While questioning a reticent homeless man who may have witnessed the murder, Kuroki does such a skillful job of chatting the man up that the man eventually breaks down and says he knows who the murderer is.

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jul 13th, '08, 01:09

Thanks for the information... it clarified a few things for me. I'm really enjoying this drama, more than I thought I would (didn't know it was by the same team that brought us Aibou, so now I know why it's good) Without subs, tho', I'm missing a lot of details. :-( Still, the first two eps have me completely hooked. I'm looking forward to the coming weeks.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jul 14th, '08, 09:12

Characters

Kuroki Toshihide (39) ... Uchino Masaaki
Head of Equipment Division, Accounting Section - Inokashira Police Precinct
Kuroki is nicknamed "Gonzo" because he leaves all the actual work to his clerk, Tabata Rumiko, and doesn't do a thing. He was the First Investigative Division's top notch detective until three years ago when he dropped out because of a case. Because he's in Inokashira precinct's equipment division, he leads a mild and regulated life. He's finally on the mend but is thrust into murder investigations because of a murder case ...

Tsutsui Michitaka (36) ... Sakuma Seiichi
Head of Division 13, First Investigative Division - Tokyo Metropolitan Police
Sakuma has a strong desire for career progression, has a dry and merciless personality, and speaks with sarcasm. He's outstanding both as a commanding officer and an investigator, and leads a team called "The Elite Division 13". He used to be trained by Kuroki but now holds Kuroki in contempt. He becomes the leader of a crime scene investigation because of a murder case and decides to include Kuroki in the investigations.

Endo Tsuru (23) ... Motokariya Yuika
Criminal Affairs Division - Inokashira Police Precinct
Tsuru's father, mother and older brother are all career police officers with Kanagawa Prefectural Police. It's been five years since she became a police officer. She's hardworking but gets nowhere. She even starts despising herself. Tsuru dislikes being compared to the outstanding police officers in her family. She fears being the failure in a family of police.

Hibino Yuji (27) ... Takahashi Issei
Criminal Affairs Division - Inokashira Police Precinct
Hibino dreams of working in the First Investigative Division. He looks down on "Gonzo" Kuroki.

Ujiie Takashi (52) ... Yajima Kenichi
Director, First Investigative Division - Tokyo Metropolitan Police
Ujiie occasionally clashes with Sakuma over investigative policies. He's in a dilemma over his middle management position.

Kishi Shotaro (45) ... Sugawara Daikichi
Detective, First Investigative Division - Tokyo Metropolitan Police
Kuroki's colleague back when he was in the First Investigative Division. He's on frank terms with Kuroki who's been reduced to a "Gonzo" and understands him well.

Tabata Rumiko (30) ... Yoshimoto Nahoko
Clerk of Equipment Division, Accounting Section - Inokashira Police Precinct
Rumiko performs her work without saying a word to the idle Kuroki. She's a cool woman who talks point blank even with "Gonzo" Kuroki. She doesn't know much regarding Kuroki's former work with the First Investigative Division.

Amano Monami (24) ... Maeda Aki
Violinist
Monami has been winning violin competitions since she was a second grade elementary school student. She came to Tokyo with the aim of becoming a professional violinist and works part-time at music schools. Her first solo concert as a professional has been decided but just at that moment, her violin is stolen by someone ...

Terada Junpei (59) ... Watabiki Katsuhiko
Detective, Criminal Affairs Division - Inokashira Police Precinct
A veteran on the job. Terada dreams of living life after retirement with his wife using his savings. He's also a doting, kind grandfather to his granddaughter.

Matsuo Risa (37) ... Otsuka Nene
Psychiatrist
Risa is in charge of curing Kuroki. She supports him as his trusted confidant. Although Kuroki is on the mend, he doesn't want to go back to crime scene investigations. Risa encourages him but ...
Last edited by raven_frost on Aug 1st, '08, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jul 15th, '08, 01:17

Raven_frost, thank you for all the helpful info. The first two episodes were very compelling, and the character info in particular helped fill in a couple blanks for me. (Always good when struggling through a raw series! :mrgreen: )
Tsuru's reaction in the hospital and her memories concerning the shooting in episode two were particularly well done and poignant. It actually made me feel a bit more for the poor violinist, as well as fleshed out Tsuru's character. I thought that her family situation was something like you described from her brothers words and reaction before Risa made him leave, but the details of it were a bit over my head after my first viewing. It'll really take me a few times and a dictionary to get more details, and I think this is one where I'll really need to do that.

I also really enjoyed the reactions of the officers at the end of the first episode and beginning of the second. The dynamic between the characters seems solid there, and it was interesting to see how each of them reacted.

On a lighter note, the way the air conditioner finally got fixed was :lol .
Looks like this will be a really awesome crime/mystery drama to follow!

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jul 17th, '08, 08:22

I'm enjoying this drama very much too so I just want to share whatever information there is with those who can't understand Japanese.

Story
A pervert who takes advantage of underage girls appears within the jurisdiction of Inokashira police precinct. Endo Tsuru, a rookie detective, comes to the Equipment Division to pick up a female high school student's uniform because she is to be the decoy but Kuroki Toshihide is completely indifferent. Dressed as a female high school student, Tsuru encounters a suspect called Nicholas, and the stakeout begins. At that moment, a young lady called Monami, comes to the police precinct to enquire about her lost violin. Before long, Nicholas is taken in by the police and Monami's violin is found among his possessions. It looks like the case has been solved but that night, Tsuru and Monami are gunned down. Can that murderer be ...?
Main Character Profiles

Kuroki Toshihide (39) ... Uchino Masaaki
Section head of the Accounting Section's Equipment Division at Inokashira police precinct. Kuroki used to be the First Investigative Division's ace detective but he developed post traumatic stress disorder because of a past case. It became difficult for him to go out into the field and he settled for being a uniform police officer. His condition has gradually improved as a result of his regular life. The case involving Tsuru and Monami leads to his return to the investigation headquarters but he is reluctant to go out into the field possibly as a consequence of his illness.

Tsutsui Michitaka (36) ... Sakuma Seiichi
Section head of Division 13 of the Metropolitan Police's First Investigative Division. Sakuma's bad traits are his strong desire for career progression, dry and merciless personality, and sarcasm. He's an outstanding commanding officer and investigator, but in fact he was thoroughly trained when he used to be Kuroki's subordinate. When Sakuma, who is contemptuous of Kuroki's current situation, is sent to Inokashira police precinct because of this case, he makes the decision to include Kuroki in the investigations as if to test him out. His real motive is ...?

Endo Tsuru (23) ... Motokariya Yuika
Rookie detective at Inokashira police precinct. Because her grandfather, father, mother and older brother are all outstanding police officers, Tsuru fears being the failure in a family of police. She's hardworking but gets nowhere. She even starts despising herself. She was shot by an unidentified person in this incident but ...

Matsuo Risa (37) ... Otsuka Nene
Psychiatrist. Risa possesses advanced medical knowledge and is in charge Kuroki's treatment. She has become his trusted confidant and encourages Kuroki who doesn't intend to go back into the field despite the improvement in his condition. It seems that Risa used to be Sakuma's former lover but ...

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jul 19th, '08, 15:26

I'm putting up the episode synopsis http://jdramas.wordpress.com/

This drama is highly addictive especially since it's shot such that it isn't episodic in nature but a continuous story. I can't get enough of it. :mrgreen:

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Jul 22nd, '08, 08:30

Finished watching episode 3. This drama is really engaging and as the mystery at the core of the drama is unfolding, you get small glimpses of the dynamic between Kuroki and Sakuma. Good stuff!
Can't wait to see where the investigation goes next since the eyewitness account of Rodan ( Sugiura ) was all a lie.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jul 28th, '08, 14:50

I've been following this drama too, up to ep4:
Not unlike ep3 with Rodan the hoaxer, ep4 also throws the investigation back to square one, though maybe something more useful will come out of the link with Kakinuma eventually.

Also, is it just me or are the producers constantly teasing us by showing us so many video snippets of Motokariya Yuika in the next-ep previews, when in fact it looks like she will take some time more to recover physically and psychologically, and so she's destined not to play a big role? I won't say that I'm following this drama only because of her, but maybe subconsciously I am :P
About the drama as a whole, I was somewhat surprised that unlike so many detective dramas this one concentrates on only one case, and all the better for it. Gonzo really fleshes out all the major characters and makes you feel the impact even one ordinary person's senseless murder has on so many people, and how difficult it is to find a good explanation for who killed her and, maybe more importantly, why she had to die. The direction, acting and music has been consistently excellent too.

Now if only someone was free to sub it, I'm sure even more people would be interested :mrgreen: Anyway, I also must thank raven_frost for translating so much useful biographical information for all of us.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jul 29th, '08, 01:29

Well Kazuya_ and myself have actually decided to sub this drama because we love it alot and want to share it with the community. We hope to have the first episode ready soon!

Like you said, and I can't agree more, the direction, acting and score has been consistently good. I can't get enough of it. :mrgreen: I haven't had time to watch Ep4 but I'm sure it's slowly unravelling and we'll get a peek as to why Sakuma and Kuroki treat each other the way they do.

The director commented that unlike other dramas of the genre, it isn't an episodic one but is crafted as a continuous story.

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Jul 29th, '08, 02:04

thank so much for subbing!! ill definitely watch this, ive been reading the summaries on your blog and im really curious with the story.:D

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jul 29th, '08, 03:02

I'd like to add to marienella_m's post with another resounding thank you to you and Kazuya_ for deciding to sub this!!! It's one of the strongest dramas of the season and I've been glad to be able to watch it even raw, especially with the help of the information you've been providing... it's so fascinating and done so well. I'm looking so forward to understanding the details. Sakuma is driving me crazy, not just in how he treats Kuroki, but in just about everything he does. Very interesting thing we were left with in ep 4, too!

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jul 29th, '08, 05:11

Wow this is a pleasant surprise! Thank you raven_frost and Kazuya_ :salut:

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Jul 29th, '08, 22:20

Just finished watching episode 4. Very intense. While I do enjoy episodic dramas, this one that involves the main case is great because it's a slow burn. Little bits of the puzzle fall into place and the details about the characters keep you wanting to learn more.
the very last scene when you see Sakuma's mother was a perfect example. I can't wait to see why his own mother called him cold and heartless.
Hopefully with the subs many more people will be able to discover and enjoy it!

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Aug 1st, '08, 02:32

Just making the finishing touches on the subs for episode 1. We should be releasing them very very soon. We will create another thread for the subs, of course.

Hopefully lots of folks will check them out! :thumright:

marspeach

Post by marspeach » Aug 1st, '08, 02:57

Kazuya_ wrote:Just making the finishing touches on the subs for episode 1. We should be releasing them very very soon. We will create another thread for the subs, of course.

Started looking at this thread yesterday and decided to download the show since there will be subs. Thanks a lot!

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Aug 1st, '08, 14:21

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Aug 3rd, '08, 03:41

We're running through Ep1 one last time. It should be released within a day. Translation for Ep2 is pretty much done too. :D

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Aug 3rd, '08, 03:58

Kazuya_ wrote:Just making the finishing touches on the subs for episode 1. We should be releasing them very very soon. We will create another thread for the subs, of course.

Omg , I was thinking about subbing this myself. I didn't know anyone was planning on doing subs.

Awesome. Can't wait. This show is so good.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Aug 6th, '08, 02:19

Every time I watch an episode of Gonzo I'm somehow reminded of how bad SP was despite the hype and anticipation.

Ep 5 was really intense. I can't wait for tonight's episode. Anyone wanting spoilers for Ep6 can refer to my blog.

Also, we have the Ep2 subs available. Check it out.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Aug 19th, '08, 12:52

There'll be no Gonzo this week because of the special for the variety show Quiz Zatsugakuou. The next episode will air on 27 August. A longer wait for Ep8. Darned!!!

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Aug 20th, '08, 02:49

I hate it when shows I'm really into get preempted for specials. :-( Gonzo has been seriously good, and there are so many plot threads I'm looking forward to in the next episode.

I know what you mean about SP. It should have been called Incompetant Police, but the assassins weren't any better. :lol

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Aug 29th, '08, 08:00

Episode 8 after the week off did not disappoint! More plots twists and turns!

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Aug 31st, '08, 10:12

Another good episode. And certainly more twists. I love how they incorporate humorous moments (when they can) into the episodes. This time round it was the exchange between Kuroki and Nicholas which reminded me of the scene back in Ep5 between Kuroki and Fujioka. :lol

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Aug 31st, '08, 10:32

raven_frost wrote:Another good episode. And certainly more twists. I love how they incorporate humorous moments (when they can) into the episodes. This time round it was the exchange between Kuroki and Nicholas which reminded me of the scene back in Ep5 between Kuroki and Fujioka. :lol
I like how the comedic moments in the show basically all stem from Kuroki's odd characteristics. He does / says a lot of inappropriate things that you kinda have to pay attention to ( for instance, if you're reading subs, you can miss these little details ). For instance, he's always picking in his nose and even flicks it at Tsuru in ep 4 I believe.

And almost every scene between Kuroki and Rumiko is for some needed comic relief.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Sep 10th, '08, 12:55

Gonzo has been serialised into a 264-page novel of the same name. It goes on sale in Japan tomorrow for 630 yen.
http://publications.asahi.com/ecs/detail/?item_id=9734

DVD goes on sale on 26 December.

sparqi

Post by sparqi » Sep 23rd, '08, 15:42

Gonzo & Maou have really brought my attention back to jdorama

Which one will be voted the best jcopdorama of the season? At the moment I think Maou has a strong lead...all depends on how they finish....:alcoholic:

Personally Im enjoying both more than the 'million falling stars' (or somesuch title) for example. I wonder what people here regard as their fave jcopdorama ever?...And how do they compare with Gonzo/Maou...

:scratchchin:

hey9

Post by hey9 » Sep 23rd, '09, 03:19

Wow, just finished watching this, wish I had watched it before. Definitely the best whodunit I've watched in a while (both tv and movie). Great story and great characters. I loved all the plot twists! I am used to watching jdrama whodunnits where the mysteries are solved in 1 or 2 episodes, so this was really interesting. You actually get a chance to learn about the suspects, the detectives, the red herrings, and everyone in between. It has a great mix of drama and comedy, and Kuroki is right in the middle of it, playing the sad clown.

Finally, I loved the ending song, "Who 08", it always fit the episode endings for me, whether it be sad or happy.

Thank you for the subs, Kazuya and raven_frost!