Title (romaji): Arifureta Kiseki
Also known as: Unsurprising Miracle
Format: Renzoku
Broadcast network: Fuji TV
Broadcast period: 2009-Jan-08 to 2009-Mar
Air time: Thursday 22:00
Theme song: Dreams Are More Precious by Enya

Starring Nakama Yukie and Kase Ryo
One day, Nakajo Kana, who sees Fujimoto Makoto lingering on the train platform, wonders whether the strange man intends to commit suicide. Tasaki Shota, who also happens to be present at the same train platform, senses danger at the same time too and the two of them thrust Fujimoto away. “I wasn’t thinking of suicide,” Fujimoto indignantly declares but Kana and Shota have met by a curious turn of fate. They part ways there but Kana, for some reason, weighs on Shota’s mind and he runs out of the station and after her. He loses sight of Kana that day but coincidentally meets her again at a cafeteria and they gradually grow closer.
I just watched the first episode of this drama and I was amazed. It seems super-serious and heavy (I usually go for really fun dramas) but I love Nakama Yukie and I think I saw Kase Ryo in About Love... he is doing a really good job. Anyway, the thing that struck me was the cinematography of this drama. All the shots of Japan are just amazing... it makes me feel like I'm there...

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Jan 16th, '09, 23:02

^ Agree with you, not to forget the OST sounds amazing too ♥ now waiting impatiently for sub ^^

Ginto-gin

Re: Arifureta Kiseki (Winter 09)

Post by Ginto-gin » Jan 16th, '09, 23:18

mokudekiru wrote:I just watched the first episode of this drama and I was amazed. It seems super-serious and heavy (I usually go for really fun dramas) but I love Nakama Yukie and I think I saw Kase Ryo in About Love... he is doing a really good job. Anyway, the thing that struck me was the cinematography of this drama. All the shots of Japan are just amazing... it makes me feel like I'm there...
Thanks for the heads-up! I'm totally wimpy with heavy dramas, though, with effort, can muster the courage to watch if it's good and worthwhile. Glad to know this has beautiful cinematography, not to mention good actors. That's a plus :-)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 17th, '09, 00:19

Jinnai Takanori was hillarious! :lol

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jan 17th, '09, 05:46

anyone knows whether there'll be soft subs for this???

koopisa

Post by koopisa » Jan 17th, '09, 12:50

I like this drama "Arifureta Kiseki" although the first episode is a bit boring. I'm looking forward to see the next one. It seems more interesting after watching a preview that they start dating..

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Jan 17th, '09, 21:31

This is my favorite drama so far this season. The only drama I have left to check out is Zeni Geba, but I have a feeling this one will stay at the top of my list.

I can understand if people think this drama is somewhat boring, as the story seems to move super slow, but something about it just strikes me. I agree about the cinematography being great, and the music is great too. And Enya's song fits the drama quite well too.

Personally, I think Nakama and Jinnai could use a little more work with their roles, but by the second episode it seems like they're getting settled in. And this is the first time I've seen Kase Ryo in anything (though I've been meaning to check out Soredemo Boku wa Yattenai), but he's quite good.

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jan 18th, '09, 01:37

just finished the 1st episode.
it's nice to see Nakama Yukie in a totally different character this time, much more passive than in Gokusen but i just can't help feeling a bit bored by the slow paced storyline. :scratch: And i admit hitting the fast forward button like 3 times...their lines/conversation was filled with LOTS of hesitations (i know they were strangers and it's normal for them to hesitate and etc...) still, they don't seem natural to me. maybe i'll try the 2nd epi and decide if i wanna go on)

mokudekiru

Post by mokudekiru » Jan 18th, '09, 01:53

I just finished episode 2 and I have to say I'm still pretty captivated by it, though it is indeed extremely slow. I love Nakama Yukie and I'm really interested to see how she develops her character. This the first time I'm seeing her as anything but a ridiculously over-the-top strong woman. But I really think Kase Ryo is stealing every scene he's in. Just the way he tends to respond so simply with "un" to almost everything Nakama Yukie says...
I really liked the part in episode 2 when he goes and helps Kana's obaasan and takes her to the doll exhibit. Especially when she is trying to tell him she trusts him to come into the house, and asks if he's going to steal anything... and that she knows good people when she sees them :)

I'm not sure about Nakama Yukie's relationship with her mom though. Something's definitely missing there, I hope there is at least a good reason for the distance.
So yeah I think I'm gonna be sticking with this one.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Jan 18th, '09, 03:19

avieamber wrote:
their lines/conversation was filled with LOTS of hesitations (i know they were strangers and it's normal for them to hesitate and etc...) still, they don't seem natural to me. maybe i'll try the 2nd epi and decide if i wanna go on)
I also think that their conversations aren't too natural... at least for this day and age. But the awkward conversations are part of what I like about the drama. Lol.

koopisa

Post by koopisa » Jan 18th, '09, 04:24

Many japanese people also commend on the unnatural conversation and some are discussing about the restuarant scene in which Nakama-san gets angry with the way that waitor acts to Kase-san whether the waitor is right, why kase-san deliberately choose that restaurant...

incyphe

Post by incyphe » Jan 18th, '09, 21:07

Just watched the first two episodes and I like this show the best so far this season.

The first few minutes of the episodes was very powerful. No dialog whatsoever, but it was done so well. A lot of shows are very dialog heavy these days, but I like shows like this where the director/writer let the picture do the talking.

The pacing definitely isn't a problem for me. I know many people are very used to the self-contained episode format. But I find it too suffocating sometimes. I guess if you enjoyed Slow Dance, you would enjoy this show too.

OpTicaL

Post by OpTicaL » Jan 18th, '09, 21:26

I'll watch anything with Nakama Yukie in it.

bimat

Post by bimat » Jan 19th, '09, 00:12

It's theme song is awesome
Love this song :wub: :wub:

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Jan 20th, '09, 17:40

love the 1st episode...didn't mind the slow pace & the OST\ theme song were really great

looking forward for the next ep :thumright:

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jan 24th, '09, 03:08

Hmm intestesting series looks like it deals with depression that the main characters have. The first episode was a bit slow but the 2nd episode picks up a bit.

epi

Post by epi » Jan 29th, '09, 14:38

i downloaded this yesterday and started watching it ... i agree that the first ep was a bit slow but the 2nd ep is getting bettter ... preview for 3rd ep promises wonderful story-line development ...

ryo kase totally makes this drama i think ... his acting is just wonderful in my opinion and also he has such an expressive face and body language ... i love his character: honest, awkward, sincere, and he looks like someone who has a quiet strength about him ... he is so polite that he really tries not to hurt other people through words ... that's probably why he answers ambiguously each time to kana's questions and why he always says nothing is wrong ... he just doesn't want to trouble others

nakama yukie is good, for some reason her acting is kind of awkward in some scenes ... but maybe my opinion of her is somewhat biased since i've always seen her as yankumi :lol i haven't had a feel on her character yet, i'm not really sure what her issues are here ... i'm sure it'll be explored later on ...

this is my drama this season i think ... :P it portrays real people with real problems and life challenges ... the talk about wanting to die ... well it brings up the topic of human strength in the face of despair and adversity

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Jan 29th, '09, 14:59

Just watched eps 4 & love this drama more & more ^__^ it looks like a family drama but still attracts me by many aspects.. that recent dramas lack in..

junebug6272

Post by junebug6272 » Jan 31st, '09, 01:59

i have to say I'm enjoying this drama after watching all 4 episodes in one sitting yesterday, the characters are awkward and messed up in a lovable way (esp. Shota).

question? (ep.4)
what's going between shota father and kana's father?:scratch:

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Feb 8th, '09, 02:33

junebug6272 wrote:i have to say I'm enjoying this drama after watching all 4 episodes in one sitting yesterday, the characters are awkward and messed up in a lovable way (esp. Shota).

question? (ep.4)
what's going between shota father and kana's father?:scratch:
The only thing that popped to my head is they are lovers. It'll be shocking if they are. :blink

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Feb 8th, '09, 03:21

junebug6272 wrote:
i have to say I'm enjoying this drama after watching all 4 episodes in one sitting yesterday, the characters are awkward and messed up in a lovable way (esp. Shota).

question? (ep.4)
what's going between shota father and kana's father?

12bucklemyshoe

The only thing that popped to my head is they are lovers. It'll be shocking if they are.
i don't think they are lovers, did u see the preview for ep5, i think they are cross-dresses where they wear women cloths.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Feb 8th, '09, 04:42

Hmm I have a bad feeling that Kana was
raped. Hope that isn't the case. It could have been just that her boyfriend at that time abandoned her at that foreign place causing her to panic and not want to be close to anyone ever again till she met Shota.

41nano

Post by 41nano » Feb 8th, '09, 23:35

ZoddGuts wrote:Hmm I have a bad feeling that Kana was
raped. Hope that isn't the case. It could have been just that her boyfriend at that time abandoned her at that foreign place causing her to panic and not want to be close to anyone ever again till she met Shota.
I've watched up to ep4
I also feel that Kana has been raped in a foreign country (India?) which would explain why she said she was scared of "a certain thing" about love (that would be sex), asshe told Shota througj e-mails in ep4

citrone

Post by citrone » Feb 9th, '09, 00:40

I also enjoy this drama quite much. It is weird but enjoyable. Although I am pleased with slow pace romance of hero and heroin, it seems that things will get complicated in the following episodes. I wonder about the secret of fathers, too. But, most probably this is not he only secret of the main characters....

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Feb 10th, '09, 14:38

If you've been following Arifureta Kiseki and you know the moment when Shota's father sees Shota and Kana walk out of the building and he spends the rest of the day ecstatic, telling grandpa "she's a beauty! she's great!" Well that's kind of how I feel after every episode. They don't make dramas like this anymore... :mrgreen:

citrone

Post by citrone » Feb 10th, '09, 15:49

lzydata wrote:If you've been following Arifureta Kiseki and you know the moment when Shota's father sees Shota and Kana walk out of the building and he spends the rest of the day ecstatic, telling grandpa "she's a beauty! she's great!" Well that's kind of how I feel after every episode. They don't make dramas like this anymore... :mrgreen:
Yea this is the feeling. Time passes in a blink when I watch this show. Such an enjoyable, mature and satisfying drama....

I also think that you cannot find such dramas recently... But anyway it is a special one. To celebrate the 50. year of the broadcaster, hence it seems they pay special attention ...

dokodemodoa

Post by dokodemodoa » Mar 21st, '09, 15:25

It's hideously slow paced. But I love it!. Ryo Kase's Acting and the rest of the cast makes this slow drama bearable.
And the story line, wow. You wouldn't guess this kind of script could coming to TV again.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Mar 22nd, '09, 16:33

Couldn't agree more with you guys...I'm finding this drama very very slow too but yet I can let it go and find myself immediately starting the next episode after one another! After ep1 I didn't know why I wanted to continue as it hadn't kinda made itself a great drama yet...but each epsiode the character deleopment and the relationship development gets better and better! I'm loving this drama and its almos unexplainable!

lunas

Post by lunas » Mar 30th, '09, 01:38

I couldn't believe that I overlook this series. Thank goodness that I checked out this forum. Such a nostalgic feeling, remind me of what jdrama used to be. Slowly unfold the storyline one layer at a time. After the 1st episode, for some unknown reason I cannot help but want to continue and see what will happen to these 2 people. I'm currently on episode 5 and by far every thing unfold seamlessly.

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » May 29th, '09, 19:35

I'm used to Yukie's more vibrant characters...this series is a downer. I don't go to sleep with that good feeling since there are so many issues to overcome. I keep watching other shows hoping that at some point I'll finish this series. I'm stopped at ep 8. At this point, I dunno if I'm inclined to finish.

A simple "yes" or "no", does it end happily?

citrone

Post by citrone » May 29th, '09, 19:39

for me yes. :)

ecco27

Post by ecco27 » Dec 11th, '10, 08:19

Heh bumping this thread from waaay back...

I REALLY enjoyed this drama and I was totally surprised. Usually I don't go for overly slow paced, uneventful dramas but this one drew me in. I never wanted to fast forward though anything because I was really interested in what the characters were talking about. I did find the characters frustrating sometimes, and it would make me sad that there were episode where Kana and Shota barely even had any contact with each other and it was kind of annoying that they seemed to feel like they either had to get married or have no relationship at all... it's like they didn't even try just being friends or dating without thinking of marriage (though I guess that's probably because they were both considered marriage age XD). Even so I never felt like quiting the drama (which I normally would if I thought it was boring and the characters were annoying!) because I really liked Kana and Shota even when they were irritating haha.

One thing I didn't like was they seemed to throw the idea about adopting out way too quick. I thought they should have been more open to the idea of doing it some day since they both seemed somewhat interested in having children, especially after the episode with the baby which should have shown them that they could love and care for a child even if it wasn't theirs.